NIS America apologizes for quality of Ys VIII localization, fix due out by end of November

RIP NISA

nichegamer.com/2017/10/10/nis-america-apologies-for-localization/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/WFLbN
nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13386&sid=8b39435ff481f9b2cbdbe4fc14597c3a&start=30
archive.is/4ztoF
dualshockers.com/ar-tonelico-2-fans-redo-botched-localization-ps2-classic/
archive.is/LDloi
archive.is/vO9dl
tcrf.net/Category:Games_published_by_Working_Designs
gaijinworks.com/interact/forumdisplay.php?4-Gaijin-Outpost
at2.metalbat.com
tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences
archive.fo/5jWMD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's pretty huge. Can't remember a game going back for another pass on a localization to the point where they're ready to rerecord dialog.

Falcom is probably pissed at NISA for being shit.

I think most of us are laughing our asses off.

PC wins

so how bad was the initial localization? Inserted propaganda and getting characters wrong?

This is a move worth supporting. If this game is even semi-successful it'll sit right next to Persona 5 as precedent and ammunition to be used in the future.

Good. I guess they realized that the niche audience they market towards is willing to spend more money by importing the European version or the Japanese version with fan translations.

They couldn't put in any propaganda but they turned sahad into a hindu.

Due out by November meaning they have a whole game to go through from now until November. They won’t fix everything in that time. Also, “It didn’t meet our standards”. What standards? Your company has proven it doesn’t have any so this was on par.

Getting characters wrong and just being stiff as hell. There’s an instance where an item doesn’t do what it tells you it does. They went on the opposite end of the spectrum of their shittery.

Do not give NISA money.

NISA NEVER EVER FOREVER

Voice recordings like these are usually done in one or two sessions and audio files replaced in another day or two. It'll be costly, since studios are booked by the hour and you have to arrange, bring in and pay all the voice actors again. Having two or three editors go through the script is also not that lengthy a process. How many lines can a game like Ys realistically have? An editor who is working 8 hour days can go through it in a week AT WORST.

watch the update break ps4s/pcs somehow.

Oh I'm not a burger, no worries about that. Good moves need to be rewarded just as bad moves need to be punished. This is a good start.

I'm just upset i ended up giving them money without realizing. I had forgotten this game was coming out till a week before and didn't check cuz I was expecting Xseed.

Hell finally froze over

been avoiding YS8 because of how horrendous NISA's work was. It's nice to see them eat crow.

stop

I am laugh and can not stop laugh.

"If we just "reward" their one good behavior, they'll stop butchering the multiple other games!"

Kill yourself, retard.

You are the only one bringing that up.

filtered.

There’s a reason why there are images floating around of Ys 8 characters on Azure boxart. It has the most lines of any Ys game currently out. That’s not mentioning all of the lines NISA most likely cut out completely to save time. They are most likely not going to “fix” everything.

Reported

Treehouse next. Oh pretty please, Treehouse next.

Are you the same goon who fucked the Demon Souls thread with fucking console war garbage and Holla Forums shit?

I'll be happy once they get shut down, and everyone involved in pozzing localizations will commit convenient suicide.

no, we're all anonymous here either way. stop trying to derail threads for once, shitposter.

wew lad, lay off the kneejerk hyperbole. I'm not saying go and suck their dick right away. I'm saying it's a good first step. A first step needs to turn into a trend if anything's ever to be unfucked. We constantly bitch about how the people screeching for censorship are the people who don't end up buying nor playing the game in the first place. It'd be stupidly hypocritical to end up being t he ones who screech against censorship then end up not buying the game.

Mind you NISA has A LOT of shit to dig themselves out of before they can ever be forgiven, but my point is that they should be allowed to do so. What I'd personally do is wait for their fix, check online feedback to see if it's unpozzed, and if yes, buy the game. We KNOW that higher-ups are now involved and that they'll be watching. If they can see a rise in sales (the only thing that really counts for management) that they can directly correlate with the localization fix, NISA will be fixed by the end of the fiscal year.

So are all the shitters finally going to get fired from the fucking company?

Holy shit the shills are antsy as fuck.

5 bucks says that nobody who would have stopped bad localization were even aware the localization were bad until this point.

how do i get a job as a shitty translator that consistently gets hired to put out trash tier work?

This is why translation is superior over localization

Take women studies as a major with japanese as a minor.

I am starting to hate (you).

Lots of hair dye and a sex change.

No, NISA needs to die.

Might as well have bet your life since that's a very safe fucking bet. How much shit does NISA localize per year? As long as there are no lawsuits and no (apparent) drop of sales that are correlated to localization, this shit can go unnoticed for years. If say, US sales of a product were significantly lower than in the EU, NISA could (and probably did) blame cultural differences and the fact that US isn't as receptive to shit they localize due to skimpy outfits or whatever. Whoever managed to push this to upper management to the point where they not only intervene, but publicly do so, deserves a pat on their back.

Good counter arguments, I've seen the error of my ways and will now continue mindlessly hating everything and everyone no matter what they do. Do I fit in yet?

Rightfully so, but I wish NISA's shit track record was more known with the Japs. I don't even paly Ys anymore, but I hope they learned their lesson and will stick to Xseed next itme.

wew

More like knowing the language and reading the original vs. translation/localization.

hurts everyone across the board

"Fixing NISA" might very well involve laying off everyone involved in these localization trainwrecks.

statements of fact are (pic related).

It's already shit anyway. Just learn Japanese you lazy nigger.

It's a pretty substantial fuckup that is going to cost the company a lot of money to fix, but more importantly it's now a public embarrassment for the Japanese CEO, who will have to bow and apologize to his Japanese superiors and explain why this project lost money/wasn't as profitable as expected, and probably why NISA lost the Falcom localization contract. There will absolutely be "former NISA translators and editors" on Linkedin before the year is out.

Fair enough, I'm just pointing out that it's counter-productive to just shit on anything that isn't blind, seething hatred. We're supposed to be better than them.

So they'll have to hire real translators from now on?
Thank God.

as soon as I saw that NISA published the game, I immediately thought that the localization was going to be bad somehow.

(checked)
user, you are being far too autistic. Its spoiling the fun.

gotta start somewhere

NISA shills always continue to impress me. Honestly, they do. No other companies paid marketers have the dedication and autism that these pathetic pieces of shit casually display in every internet forum that even mentions their masters.

Fucking kill yourself, you disgusting goy.

t. NISA shill

Oh hey, if they have to update the credits then we will be able to actually see who if fired and who is kept.
Maybe we will be able to find out if there is a common link among specific "localizes"

Actually, they'll hire a bunch of faggots that are even worse. Maybe Nick Doerr will make a comeback. Be careful what you wish for.

That depends, there are a lot of multi-colored hair women and beta cuck males who count as "real" translators ready to fuck up localizations and ruin teams.

I was waiting for this to happen. Every single speck of a suggestion to not mindlessly hate something is shilling to you retards. This place is tumblr-tier when it comes to policing wrongthink. What would anyone have to do before you faggots are satisfied?

why are you calling yourself an NISA shill?

Stop supporting NISA.

Just keep outing yourself though.

Nick Doerr actually worked on Ys VIII as an editor.

"LEAVE NISA™ ALONE! THEY A GOOD BOY DINDU NUFFIN!"

There was Sword Art Online on Vita. The translation for that was so laughably terrible they had to go back and redo it. I did have some images from the original but I can't find them.

A photograph of a painting is literally a translation, fuck off with your "more like."

By the way this faggot posts and defends NISA on Falcom threads I'm pretty sure its the same person falseflagging at this point.

Hey i'm a NISA shill too, where are my (You)s

Get out NISA shill.

In order for me to even consider buying a NISA game ever again, they'd have to either
A. Start fixing their past fuckups with new free patches for those games (they don't have to fix every game right away, but that should be the goal for at least the IPs they still have the rights to)
B. Fire everyone and start over.
Anything short of either one of these is worthless.

I'm prepared to give NISA a chance now that they have very publicly admitted fucking up. That's the first step that they never managed to take before. If they follow through on the logical course of action now that they know they have a problem, they may release something worthwhile. We'll have a rare chance to see firsthand how successful their housecleaning was after their Ys VIII update lands.

Oh, I thought he fucked off to try to start his own crowdfunded dev studio. That explains a lot, and I'm glad he's among those that will be tarred and feathered.

The Falcom fandom deserved this. Not just because the game deserved better, but because they actually fought tooth and nail to make sure the translation would at least have a good version in the end (the fan-edit project), organized to make sure Falcom would learn about the translations problems and hopefully put pressure on NISA (the email campaign, which was translated to Japanese), and even fucking reviewers made a stink about the localization to NISA before the game even came out, and relayed the problems to the public (which is why Big Hole became a meme before the game even came out).

It really can't be understated just how much this goes to show that an organized fanbase has a lot of power. I know it sounds like some gay shit, but I'm really proud of the fandom for putting their collective foot down.

would have loved to seen the conversation they had with falcom. Was calling it really, if you publicize the quality it'll hit higher up and then the shit rolls down hill.

You are the poster child of battered wife syndrome, user. It’s fucking sad.

No one is defending NISA as it is you fucking faggots, stop being simpletons, not everything is black and white. All I'm saying is that this apology and the intent to fix shit should be welcomed, that is all. Why the fuck would I even be shilling the company after their apology? What sense would that make, what would it accomplish? Stop being paranoid fucks. I'm just a faggot who wants to see improvements to the localization scene and see this as positive first step. If someone as shit as NISA can publicly apologize and fix ANYTHING, then there's hope yet. It won't happen over night, but it's still preferable to doubling down like Funimation did.

No, but NISA being shit is.

I get your line of thought, but NISA have done more to harm video games to make anyone sensible think twice about ever buying anything from them again. They fucked up so bad this time that they had to fix it, but they still fucked up. They shouldn't have done so in the first place. They're a big company and have enough money to hire competent translators. But they don't.

That's why you're getting these meme replies.

you're very obviously trying to defend nisa, i have no idea why you would do this except for (you)s

ID hop

Excuse me sir can you prove that they have any "intent to fix shit"?

Is such a shill even possible? I can rather defend UBIshit or EA than NISA.

they did the same thing with Disgaea D2. They even apologized for the crashing issue and promised to fix it. They released one patch that didn't fix anything at all (and in some cases caused more problems). After that point they locked all threads on the topic and told people tough luck.

archive.is/WFLbN
nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13386&sid=8b39435ff481f9b2cbdbe4fc14597c3a&start=30

some context? Who is Harrison Lewis?

no its not
i tried that once they release a good localalization, and the next game they went back to fuck it up.
NISA needs to die

Let's not get crazy now.

Wait a second. The link does show a statement, I've googled and there are sites talking about that, but how do I know someone didn't make it up with others just repeating? That wouldn't be the first time of such shit occuring.

EOPs have an incredible level of Stockholm Syndrome towards localizers. This is nothing new.

I mean, Titanfall 2 is good.

True that. No matter what happens in the future, NISA has burned so many bridges (and games) that it's impossible for them to recover from it. They need to die.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a retarded shill, or just painfully young.

How many times can they fuck up and you still have hope, they've apologised before, they've "fixed" stuff before.
Guess what they still continued to fuck up.
Did nobody ever teach you of the boy who cried wolf.
you are though, people who have hope help keep them afloat, if you actually want to fix things then let shit die so good people can take their place.

It's in the OP. Of course it is a claim, and it could turn out to be untrue. But you will have hard evidence one way or the other when the update is released, there will be droves of before and after screenshots. But it would look mighty bad for them if the localization is still complete garbage after they spend a lot of money to fix it. Feel free to wait and see, it's what I plan to do.

I don't give two fucks about NISA, I am just pissed to see kneejerk reactions like these from what I thought to be a more rational community. I always roll my eyes when I see someone publicly apologizing for wrongthink, just for the goon squads to double down (PPD's nigger comment comes to mind). I hate to see it happening here too.

Right there in the OP

As I said, I don't give two shits about NISA nor am I a burger. I have no previous experience with their shit so if this is true, then I'll happily retract everything I've said and grab my pitchfork.

You should plan to kill yourself instead.

Is it? I mean, I really wanna shit on you now for giving EA money, but I play Siege so I can't really judge.

Or maybe its because this is fucking NISA we are talking about here you disingenuous piece of shit

Who could be behind these posts?

Please make yourself taller post-haste, you human-like garbage.

So you straight up admit that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about? Do you seriously not see what's wrong with this statement?

Hating/not trusting NISA is more a trained reflex than a kneejerk reaction.
Imagine if the same person routinely came and hit you day after day, is it a kneejerk reaction to inherently block/run when you see them coming ? Clearly not.
You're either a shill or know nothing about NISA in which case why do you feel qualified to judge ?

wwwwwww you're just justifying being a fucking idiot to yourself.
Those faggots always knew their localizations were bad but they went on anyways and only "stopped" once a franchise got dropped by fan e-mails. Shit, I think rich people can be nice and all(Walmart was made by a legitimate nice person that wanted to drop prices and speed up shopping in America, there are other examples) but better yet, I know when a company is in need of repeated flagellation and destruction.

REMINDER TO FILTER AND MOVE ON INSTEAD OF DERAILING THE THREAD
NISA IS SHIT AND EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THIS, STOP GIVING HIM (YOU)S THATS WHAT HE WANTS!

Yes there is when said company is shit. You are giving them money to fuck something else up. Hell, you’re screaming and crying “SUPPORT THEM!” Without obviously knowing the kind of shit they pull.

Don't worry that we fucked up your game and failed on our promise of a pc port goy, we'll say that we'll fix it later, ignore that we've fucked up/lied about this in the past.

I don't thank somebody for cleaning up after they shit on my carpet.

I think everyone wishes the Japs new more about NISA

KYS

Oh my word. You're are so right. There is nothing wrong with supporting NISA™. It's clear to all they've learned their lesson this time for sure.

Then maybe you should shut the fuck up. Why would you think your uninformed opinion is worth arguing for?

It's better than nothing, you wouldn't have gotten the game released overseas otherwise.

You clearly know fuck all or are actively ignoring facts to shill

Some of us aren't pathetically thirsty niggers. I'd drop any number of English releases if it meant killing NISA.

Thanks for proving my point

You're right, I never had any more experience other than knowing that they're shit. My assumption was that they were 8-4-tier bad, and seeing a public apology seemed like the start of a potential turnaround. I take issue with anons shitting on how bad things are, then shitting again when things take a potential turn for the better, hence my comments. But if NISA has done this shit before with the public apologies, and nothing has changed, then I'll happily eat a bag of dicks and sit down.

I'd love to see examples of past apologies though, a quick google search didn't help but I don't know any specific instances when it happened so not sure what to search for

Hope me admitting to actually being wrong is at least proof enough that I'm not a shill. It's infuriating to try and talk about anything and getting slammed down with shill screeching

An incompetent small publisher

I died.

You fucks really do go through a checklist

Yet they've managed to release YS games before without problem and port to PC
Provably better than NISA
Again either incompetent or shill

Fuck off, house slave.

Well they DID lie about censorship as well as taking "creative liberties" with their localizations.

And what is the japanese equivalent to this scene? For all I know he could be saying the exact same thing.

There are no past apologies.
What there is, is a general want to hire cheap translators that are more inclined on adding their cheap jokes than doing their job
What there is, is a general reluctance to fix those unless their pennybags are on the line.

Companies who do this must be destroyed by the consumer, specially when things have been going for so long. There are no two ways about this. They always knew their company was shit but they only stopped because a publisher pulled off them recently.

Who gives a shit, just play the Japanese version and if you can't well stop fucking bitch and take what you get

When will Mark start doing something about all these threads being derailed by these faggots?

I'd rather have no official localization than a bad one.

They promised several times that it would be good in the first place. I'll believe it when I see it.

(check'd)

Even when I admit to being wrong and agreeing with you? How does that work?

Fuck off you underage retard.

The games are available on PC and don't have massive translation errors
I'd say that's a provable difference
Keep coming up with no argument to defend your shit

He hoped ID's

They've lied before about the ESRB and Censorship when it comes to localizations in video games. What makes you think they can be trusted now of all things?

Kill yourself, retard.

Why are you pretending to belong here, goon?

Exactly, be glad that you are getting something.

That line of reasoning worked out really well with Mighty Number 9, right? Fuck off.

t. Inafune

I think Holla Forums is under attack recently. By ramnants of Holla Forums, endchan or SA. I felt the amount of goons and shills drastically increased last few days. The recent tactics they use is changing IP so frequently that almost feels like they are legion.

hi mark

How many of these shills are first time posters?

fuck off board kike

Mighty No 9 problems were not localization related

Hey faggot, how about waiting until something's actually fixed and not just corporate lip service. The letter doesn't say a thing about coherence or faithfulness to the original script, just basic proofreading that should have been done in the first place, and a "fresh look at the dialogue and characterizations." With nothing except that, it's entirely possible they're going to turn every male character into valleyspeaking prinnys, and every girl into meme delivery devices.

Holla Forums is not a hivemind, however today is just an off day. We have them from time to time.

part of them were, but the game itself was just a disaster all around

fags ruining anonymity are worse than any derailers

if you really hate localizations so much learn japanese its that simple

How many goons do you all think work directly or indirectly for NISA? We've got at least a couple in this thread.

epic

Please clean up the other boards as well
The Demon Souls emulation thread and Dark Souls 3 really need it

You mean like Mark :^)

Except the indefinitely-delayed PC port.

Sauce?

the other two are legit, it was just that one guy.

Pretty much, NISA can't be trusted. If they ACTUALLY Improve it then I'll be damned

Your point? It was still a shit product. This is a shit localization. “Be Happy you got something” is what retards like you spout off when you have nothing.

men in black the series

Either Endchan downtime or 32chan Nanotechies

Its been like this a whole week

Well it's going to have the updated translation so we know it'll be the end of November at the soonest at least. :^)

You probably think that NISA is paying me to do this or something, hilarious.

user, are you literally reading out of the shill handbook?
Nigger just because someone didn't dig in their heels doesn't mean they're not going to lie and ruin everything, especially if they have a terrible track record
Now fuck off, NISA dying would be better to the localization scene as a whole and you fucking know it, so get out of here with that bullshit.

Except when I don’t “hate localizations so much”. I hate you people who defend a shit localization company with straw men and “be happy you got something” bullshit.

That's true, I suppose the bar has been lowered so far the past few years that just not doubling down and bitching about toxic gamers is a positive outcome.

That's all big localization companies you've just described. I thought this was the first instance of one of them actually acknowledging the cancer, which was obviously wrong. Token apologies and "retranslations" aren't worth shit, I was a retard for hoping that a company like this can ever be redeemed.

Is it wrong to hope?

Just like Operation Market Garden.

Can't we just be one happy angry rage filled family?

You’re the one insecure enough to go with that line of reasoning, user. Sounds like you admitting you’re getting paid for this shit.

"miracle"
I don't trust them, that's why I said to wait and see.

🤔🤔🤔

agreed

Yes.

You are the conspiratard here not me so.

We don't get handbooks. I copy messages from the thread into the chatbot, select a preset (confrontational, reverse psychology, change of topic etc.) and it spits out a response.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

wew

Nigger you know I meant threads

I'll take a look, but the DS3 thread I looked at just looked like an argument. Nothing wrong with that

You shouldn't trust any company. The proof is in the product. Good companies make bad products from time to time, and vice versa. Can you name another time a company has done a new translation pass on a game they already released? I can't. It's a golden opportunity to see how, and how much, they improve the product with every eye interested in localization focused on them.

pic related

I'm not being ironic, everytime someone stands up for a company that is doing something right and you faggots still shit on them you will call them shills like some conspiratard.

Fair enough
It was just one post after all

Every day this becomes more relevant.

Yeah, I strongly disagree with that user. Like we got Fire Emblem Fates after a year, and yet it has one of the worst localizations in the past decade. Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a poor localization.

I had none to begin with.

what was your first clue? did the flag give me away?

Yes you gave yourself away

I didn't defend shit. I said if you don't like certain localizations learn Japanese or don't play the game.

What pisses me off is faggots like you who can't even understand Japanese calling a localization shit when they can't play the whole game in Japanese because they don't understand the language. Did you play both the Japanese version and the English localization? Did you sit down and line up both scripts in their entirety and compare each and every line?

Laugh. A single "good" release does not excuse back to back releases with shit translations, bugs, or outright broken games. It's certainly not "doing something right," you pathetic retard.

All localizations are shit. If you actually understood Japanese you would realize this. Stop defending NISA.

A single good release is a good thing.

1) steal the tools
2) steal the translated scripts
3) make deal with XSEED
4) …
5) profit!

You keep saying they do something right. What they should have done in the first place is not fuck up. That would have been them doing something right. Them doing something wrong is waiting for THIS long after release to try to “apologize” and promise to “fix” what they did wrong. This is not a five year old. This is a company that does a job for money. They should be shit on to high heaven and not white knighted as hard as you are doing right now.

Do you feel powerless because you can't stop NISA form spiraling down or something?

Are we not allowed to shit on garbage companies who can't do their job right shill-kun?
How's about you apply this same logic to this thread, you thin-skinned little bitch.
Fag. Please jump off the nearest bridge. You're filtered now.

Does anyone?

Out of curiosity, how many times has NISA apologized / re-translated a game? Perhaps more importantly, when did the CEO do this?

Hey where'd my first post go

Wouldn't be needed if they actually did their job right in the first place.

The point I think people are trying to make is to remain skeptical.

I recall the CEO of NISA apologized for Ar Tonelico 2.

This is not the thread for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did try that. Meta thread's this saturday, let's talk about it there.

They absolutely do.

Out of curiosity, how often do you go into a thread and call everyone in it "kneejerking retards" without any prior knowledge about the subject and then passively-aggressively whine about being called a shill for the remainder of it?
archive.is/4ztoF
He apologized for Last Rebellion.

Did they ever "fix the localization" for that?

They didn't even fix the game crashing bug.

Typical.

Who changed my name? Not cool

No, it was for the PS2. There was a fan-translation made recently.
dualshockers.com/ar-tonelico-2-fans-redo-botched-localization-ps2-classic/

Hey i'm on that screenshot!

me

git bully

/r/ lolimememe

Go kill yourself, this is just another bold faced lie from a company that constantly lies. They promised a proper localization from the day the announced and look what they fucking did; they fucking lied again. The only time they ever do a "good" job is when their on the verge of losing a license or have the original devs breathing down their neck. As soon as everyone is complacent with them they go right back to their usual bullshit.

There is no reason to ever support NISA because they'll never learn. They shit will happen time and time again until their company goes tits up.

The point is that even though they didn't just go on a 10,000 post tirade on twitter and block everyone within 10 followers of people complaining about the quality doesn't mean that any improvements are actually in the works. As I mentioned, it could become worse, or it could take 8 years to finally come out because they're sneaking in lines to avoid paying their SAG-AFTRA VAs for rerecordings. It could even be quietly cancelled in three months and everyone that brings it up banned from their forums and Steam page. If you want to get your hopes up, nobody can stop you, but understand why a company with their track record doesn't bring about much excitement when offering an empty hand full of promises, and why people will be openly hostile up until and probably including actual proof that improvements have been made.

I could really give a shit less I'm just tired of people bitching about a translation that don't understand Japanese because they haven't actually done the work to compare the original and translated materials. There was a good picture I saw here about Fire Emblem which actually shows the differences and shows a bunch of omitted lines; that's a step in the right direction towards backing up the claim of "this localization is shit".

If you think about all the energy that you spend to complain about even one translation, you could have already been a step forward in learning Japanese and in turn, to play the game directly.

Has anyone asked themselves yet if NISA are even capable of making a quality translation?

MARK!!!
MARK!!!!
THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!!!

Why does this sound so familiar?

The current re-translation is being done because e-mails forced one of the games they were going to translate to be dropped, since the company giving them the rights rescinded them.
They're just afraid of another penalty.

You know, profit is fine, but you are basically admitting that "profits" just means moral-less acquisition of money. If your consumers decide to drop their morals too and screw you up, well, what ARE you going to say to that now?

On the contrary, I believe that even if they fixed their mistakes now they should be doomed. They had multiple chances to fix smaller or more important things, they lied then.

Not that often, but when I do I apologize for being a faggot. Thanks for the link, but I only see an apology for releasing a bad game, not a bad localization (or am I missing some context again?)

The only thing I can even remotely find is a mention of it here archive.is/LDloi I guess it's evidence enough.

I understand Japanese you nigger. I'm not the one suggesting that EOPs buy NISA games though.

sauce?

Fun Fact; Todd Howard wanted to work at NISA but they threw out his resume because he was too honest.

What a world that would have been.

I might boycott the next Ys game if Falcom don't go back to xseed. They actually did a good job.
As painful as it is to not buy Falcom games, I really don't want to give any more money to NISA.

Why did you give them any money in the first place, you faggot?

How can you restore something that did not exist to begin with?

Believe it or not normalfags actually think NISA usually does a good job. Then again, they're normalfags.

You can't.

Because I like Falcom and I want to support them, and show there's a demand for their games in the western market.

That's a completely different person. Haru Akenaga is now CEO at Idea Factory International, and he was apologizing for the shitty game (Last Rebellion) developed by Hit Maker, that they had no choice but to release after funding its development. It had nothing to do with localization. Did you even read the interview, or did you just Google "nisa ceo sorry" and post the first result?

I'm also stalking this one /fit/ user in hopes of seeing something catch on. The way I'm doing it is that I'm posting this webm and then when he leasts expect it I post something along the lines of GET FUCKIN' THICC. but don't screencap this or you'll ruin the humor.

although he seems to be a smart guy so it's likely that he's just ignoring me

At this point they know there is a demand for their games. You should not have given money to NISA even if it is a Falcom game.

What planet are you on?

Cold Steel 3 will probably be done by XSEED since no one else is willing to do it since they're lazy shits and XSEED actually cares.

Wait a minute.. is that person…

I don't have it

I won't for the next one. I enjoyed Lacrimosa of Dana and loved the soundtrack, but I'll never forget wasting half an hour trying to find a monster for a sidequest… Only to find out that it was for a special instanced supression mission you had to activate from Dogi back at camp, and NISA didn't think to mention that once.

Without evidence to support the claim "this localization is shit" it falls flat on its face and becomes an uninformed opinion. If you understand Japanese then go play the JP version and shut up. Saying what the options are is not an endorsement (learn Japanese, don't play it or deal with what you have) of anything.

I studied Japanese for 3 years and I'm fluent. It's not easy but if you really want a skill you have to work for it, unless you are insanely naturally gifted. Problem is most people now have the attention span of gnat and automatically quit something that is in the least bit challenging and not instantly gratifying: especially mindless, friendless, no talent, lazy weebs that are trapped in the consumer death trap cult of Japanese manga/anime/games

What are you talking about shitty localizers are always trying to scoop a series made popular after years of hard work by a company who cares.

Sauce

Well yes, but with the Trails series it's different since Trails is known for having a shit ton of text. It's why it wasn't localized for so long.

LOL

BnP by Sound.

Got your evidence right here.

Falcom is one of my favourite developers, and every game of theirs I've played I've spent hours after completion just listening to the soundtrack.
Surely you have a favourite developer? Would you not struggle to not buy their games anymore? Especially when most games nowadays are trash with loot boxes forced in?

That's the thing user, three years is a long fucking time.

That's not how it works, damage control-kun.

What a fag

Not really, though to be fair I'm not employed by any developers

Not really. You can spend that much time just waiting for one game.

If you never became BO, you could have been fluent in Japanese by now instead.

Not like the amount of text matters when NISA may as well just be using machine translation. :^)

good point, well I always heard pokemon was a good starting point.

It's not a matter of employment. Think of it like Capcom or Konami, but instead of being shit all over, they were shit but only outside japan.

Did you see the YS8 localization they'll gladly take the money then just run it through google translate.

>Half Life 3

Falcom is one of my favorite developers too, Hell I'm just a faggot for them that I've bought Ys Origin 5 times because I love it so much. But I had no problems not buying Ys VIII because of NISA; you don't willingly fund the destruction of a series you love by supporting the worst localization company in the industry.

He is talking to "door" a character exclusive to the superior western release.

Good shit

Leave cuckchan memes back at cuckchan please
Thank you

I was mocking him, but okay.

I hate it myself

He's telling you to not accidentally create a (structurally) sound door when you close it.

What's it?

The only acceptable answer is to PURGE your entire fucking localization team. Start with the HR department and go from there

A shitty movie

We must eliminate NISA to secure a future for all our Japanese video games.

This. It's the only way to make sure they don't pull more bullshit. Saying that, wouldn't they just go infect another company?

Any company that hires former NISA staff deserves to die as well anyway.

REMOVE NISA

Oh Geez.. It sounds like they really really messed up this time. I can only imagine they let things slide this long because the editors and translators they had were cheap.

No, this is their usual work; they do this every time when they gotta push out their cash cow. All side projects take second priority while they focus on adding memes and re-writing the script for the cash cow.
This time it was Danganronpa V3 in priority.

I found this very funny

Other sources are reporting the same story. Its on the internet so i must be truth.
archive.is/vO9dl

Maybe I just don't play enough Japanese games. I don't deal with NISA very often.

Hi Connor Krammer!

What exactly did NISA fuck up in Ys VIII anyway?

How new are you?

More like they were getting one hell of an ear full from Falcom for fucking up the simultaneous PC release they were supposed to do. Combine that with Falcom getting emails from angry fans and this affecting their fiscal year, They can't be happy with NISA, but stupidly giving NISA a chance to "fix" this instead of kicking their ass out like the Nep devs did.

Read the thread. There's screenshots of how half-assed they did the translation.

More like they were getting one hell of an ear full from Falcom for fucking up the simultaneous PC release they were supposed to do. Combine that with Falcom getting emails from angry fans and this affecting their fiscal year, They can't be happy with NISA, but stupidly giving NISA a chance to "fix" this instead of kicking their ass out like the Nep devs did.

Read the thread. There's screenshots of how half-assed they did the translation.

Holla Forums is under attack by SA, the goons are using tactics posing as both Holla Forums and Holla Forums, or consolefag and PCfag, or even two retards looking as arguing each other for nonsense, trying to stir shit up in almost every threads by console war and interboard strife. Don't be fooled, they look like arguing each other but they are same person who uses VPN. This is divide and conquer. Ignore and report them. Polite sage for off-topic.

Everything.

There are apparently a ton of "learn japanese" games on the android store. Anybody know if any of these are any good?

Better off asking in the actual thread about learning japanese.

Probably not.

I bet half the people who shit on NISA's retardation still defend Working Designs.

tcrf.net/Category:Games_published_by_Working_Designs
Nah

Seems like the Working Designs Defense Force was left back on cuckchan. Most people here seem to realize how bad Old Vic ruined everything he touched.

I'm still mad. He's now working for Treehouse so he couldn't mess up VII.

Ah Victor Ireland, Nothing makes me happier than remembering the time he sperged out at xseed and told people not to buy Lunar: Silver Star Harmony because they actually gave the game a proper localization

I heard the Summon Night 6 localization and marketing was so bad that even NISA was embarrases.

He still has a localization company, and their forums are full of people worshipping him. It might be even worse than the NISA forums.
gaijinworks.com/interact/forumdisplay.php?4-Gaijin-Outpost

At least he can't touch the original versions.

No, he's still freelance. He was one of the editors on Ys VIII.

You people are so fucking naive.

user please

It's hilarious to me how whenever you talk about the shittiness of manchild games such as Kingdom Hearts, Square Enix in general, nintendo in general, or Ys in this case, fans are always quick to get on the defensive and say "Well, all the dialogue sucks anyway, I only play for the gameplay."
Yet here we are in a thread about Ys and people are complaining about the localization being stiff.
Shouldn't you be skipping all dialogue anyway?
Or better yet, why don't you just be honest next time and admit you enjoy eating shit more cliche and anti-intellectual than 80's Saturday morning cartoon dialogue? If you unironically like the dialogue in these pieces of shits, just say so.

First day on the goonsquad?

no really explain to me why you feel the need to lie to people that you play for the gameplay while simultaneously your kingdom hearts threads are nothing but lore and character discussion?

jesus christ
even if you posted a pic saying
wouldnt be this obvious

I remember hearing that Ys VIII was surprisingly script heavy compared to other Ys.

They didn't. Fans did over roughly seven years though.
at2.metalbat.com

You don't even deserve your (you).

So is there any really bad inserted "localization" or is it just a bad translation?

One is forgivable, the other is not, but from the sounds of things it looks like this was more a bad translation than "localization," which I wouldn't be bothered by if it wasn't a Ys game to begin with.

There is only translation, shit or not. "Localization" is a marketing meme.

This was a shit translation, just like every single one NISA does.

No, it's SJW newspeak they pushed into gaming lexicon to make it sound like translating a game for meaning is bad and even impossible because "muh cultural differences." By pushing the idea that translation is stiff, stilted, and makes no sense, they make their butchering of games look better. The word and concept of localization is an SJW attempt to redefine language to control opinion.

I know. I was just giving the shorter version.

Localization implies changes with the intent of making content more palatable for the region it is being released in, which usually results in butchered content because localizers are usually Millennial dipshits who take their personal politics more seriously than their jobs. Translation is just translation. You try to present the original idea as accurately as you possibly can in the English language, even if some concepts are foreign or strange to the end user. Bad translations suck but at least can be good for memes.

Yes there is a nuance there and it is important. Shitty translations is unfortunate. Localization is evil.

Shut the fuck up, hole.

Funny how none of this expanded definition of the practice of translation has anything to do with actually making a foreign dialect understandable. It's almost as if it's some sort of weasel word that is only used to disguise practices that are most certainly not translation, such as censorship, butchering, rewriting, dumbing down, etc etc. You are right, though. Nuance does matter, and in this matter, nuance serves to establish that anyone who genuinely thinks "localization" is at all applicable to translation is a retard.

Don't use newspeak. Just call it translation, like every society has for the last 9999999999999999999999999999 years.

The last time someone posted that image, a bunch of retards starting saying it was stupid because "only Romans would understand that phrase."

Localization is a common practice, though. It is an important one to recognize when dealing with shitty handling of foreign vidya. You are right, though. It is a euphemism for a bunch of things that have nothing to do with making a foreign language and/or dialect understandable.

The problem I'm seeing here is that Ys VIII looks like it is a victim of shitty translation and not localization. When you have NISA promising to do better "localization" because of it, that is not necessarily a good thing.

I've never heard of them until now and judging by their portfolio, I've only heard of Popful Mail because that's another Falcom title.

How young are you?

L O L

and Popful Mail one of their most butchered titles;
tcrf.net/Popful_Mail_(Sega_CD)#Regional_Differences

23 You wanna go, “old man”?

You know, if this weren't NISA we're talking about, I'd absolutely agree. I've bought from them before - more than I'd like to admit - and no matter the title, they always manage to screw something up, be it missing audio, blatantly wrong or low-effort translation, crashes, and in the case of TWatHK, potential hardware damage - they consistently deliver a low-quality product. Even more so, post-release support is mediocre, at best. While they did fix the mid-animation crashes of Disgaea D2, not a word was lost on the issues that plagued Hundred Knight. There is no reason why you, as a customer, should give them money.

Oh shit, fuck me for posting in this thread.

I guess you read the rest of his posts

I agree. there is never a good reason to localize something. i even get bothered by the last/first name reversal in alot of games. in Yakuza Kiwami im constantly confused because you can clearly hear them saying "kazama kiryu" then see it written as kiryu kazama.

its confusing as fuck when you hear that, while reading the translations.
i dont know a better way to handle this since whats considered respectful/disrespectful in america is pretty much a polar opposite, but its usually easy to tell with alittle context.

It's like changing the rice balls in pokemon to donuts, why are they afraid of people actually learning something? Oh no, some might not understand and be confused.

i dont think the last/first name thing is the same as changing riceballs to donuts…

without reversing it, it becomes "hi im smith john" "hi smith" then you meet his family and theyre all named smith X.
that can get confusing but i guess you could add commas in between the names. "smith, john" to make it less confusing.

what do you think they should do when theyre about to eat? say "bon appetite?" or should they say "Itadakimasu". since they likely wont explain its meaning, should they add an explination?

this is what localization was supposed to mean. because doing that stuff isnt a translation. but localization has become "making it for western audiences" which can mean localization like what i described, direct tranlations, or adding memes and jokes in place of serious shit because "westerners enjoy that stuff - we know what they want". or even when they go full retard and remove stuff we "wouldnt understand", like seeing a 13yo anime girls round apple butt in a thong.

you can't possibly be this retarded

C'mon user you know you cannot play a game for the gameplay and also pay attention to the story. You gotta choose either you like gameplay or you like story you cannot enjoy both. Or just not want the writing to make you physically upset.

NISA called in Durante to help salvage their PC version are expecting it to come out in mid-december. Their messaging though sounds like he visited the office for a day and told them how they were idiots and left. Instead of actively working on the thing like he did with Little King Story for XSEED.

archive.fo/5jWMD

Any links to the dumped vita version? Also, is this shit bad enough to break my vita or is it all just dialogue fuckery?

Working Designs did nothing wrong.

They sneak in by getting into the HR department and taking over. From there, they go about bringing more of their friends and other neon haired fucks, as well as kicking out the actual driving force that is keeping the company afloat. Before you know it, said company goes to shit for having a turnabout shit method. NISA isn't the only localization team that needs a purging. NOA is too. SJW did their same slimy playbook by sneaking in via the HR department. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that the person in HR for NOA is either going to be a beta cuckold who subscribes to /cuteboy/ marxism, or is a neon haired dyke with FAS written all over . Both are extremely incompetent of actually doing their job except for the job they are ordered to do which is bring more and more of their buddies onto the work scene.

No, they didn't. They only translated the new bits, with the rest is just the script from the PS1 game with the references taken out.

This. If you want to change localization or even vidya in general, get hr jobs ya lazy neets.