Never had an issue with the timer in Dead Rising

I don't understand people who are put off by time limits.

Fallout 2 had time limit?

It's because retards and normalfags don't like the fact that they have to be fast and precise

The only people who can't deal with timers are ones who crack under pressure. Same for autoscrolling levels.

It doesn't. It has specific timed events.

This, it makes people nervous. I always recommend they play Majora's Mask so they understand how to manage time as that's probably the most casual entry into time management. It really isn't that hard.

You mean Fallout 1 right? I don't remember any time limit in 2 but it's been a while.

On topic, time limits for last missions/levels in a a game might be a bit passé, but I think it's the only type of timed mission (Get out/Survive) I enjoy since it makes sense. Also I don't think Dead Rising counts as a timer since the entire game is based on a three day cycle. Give some good examples on why timers are good and when they've been used well.

People still use a guide, because why struggle through babbys first time management entry when you could just get it figured out with the help of someone who has done it

13 years for main quest
Some time specific quests like moonshining help or spleen transplant.

Doubtful that you finished Fallout 1 before any town was invaded. It's like 2 months or something, basically designed so that you have to speed run it to save everyone.

Also have you played Sengoku Rance?

timers create a psychological phenomena in the player that puts them under intense pressure. Everyone feels the pressure, some can handle it, lots of people can't. I think smooth brains especially feel pressured.

You're right, by "zero issues" I meant I, personally, had zero complaints about the timed aspect as a whole.

Sengoku Rance is fun, I feel like it'd be absurdly easy if you could just stall indefinitely to power up your army so, again, the timer aspect doesn't really phase me.

The timer isn't there to be a fail condition. It's there to make you play differently and feel under pressure so you will be more vulnerable to the other fail conditions.

Timers are antithetical to modern plug-and-play casual games since knowingly playing under time pressure is by nature not playing casually.

Yeah, I think most of the complaints about timers come from completionists who want to do and see 100% everything before finishing things. It's really the devs that have screwed things up by adding so much useless sidequest bloat in modern games.

lolno
Dead Rising 1 had more side quests than Dead Rising 4's nothing at all and it had a time limit to boot.

Never played Dead Rising. I'm thinking of all the open world games with collectables and achievements for wasting time doing random crap. Think GTA started the trend.

The worst game i ever played with time limits was some swedish kids game where you had until the clock hit midnight to solve the mystery and what i can remember as a kid was that the time went by really fast because it was a shit game.

World's best selling franchises are sports-titles, all of them have time contraints in them which means that you have to beat your opponent within a certain time limit to win the game.

Dare I say timers are there as a gameplay element that adds to the overall point of the game in the first place. All these games with these "go go go" set pieces are hollow when you realize the "go go go" is just a facade and you can stand around and wait as much as you want. And while some shit-for-brain retards would say that's a good thing for "the experience", they're actually helping to usher in the further downfall of game design as an artform with actual depth rather than this faux-cinema bullshit we've been force fed the past 10 years.

i hate time limits because I like to explore everywhere and do everything

The people who complain about time limits are also the ones who think DMC and Vanquish are boring because you can just spam the same attack / sit behind cover the whole time. This is because they don't bother to consider the scoring system which encourages you to vary things up and not waste time, thus they don't get to experience the gameplay as it was intended.

Time limits are pretty much necessary for me since otherwise I'll spend time autistically combing over everything. It's refreshing every time it's used since it forces you to actually prioritize things and weigh if you should be doing this instead of that
Of course, time limits should only be used if the style of gameplay allows it

It did, but it was much more forgiving than in 1, which pissed me off somewhat

I like games to have timed events but not strict time limits. I like having reasons to rush but not feel like I need to.

Vanquish is one of my favorite games.

Got any other brilliant analysis to share?

its stressful

I have now proven why timelimits suck

As a completionist, I don't like having all my efforts go to waste because I fucked up the timing. I have a backlog of stuff and replaying games isn't an option. Majora's Mask, Pikmin, Dead Rising… tried them all and always gave up a ways in after realizing I set myself up for failure when I started each game.

Dead Rising 2 fucked me off to no end because you had to be there at the right time and couldn't say "here you go, kiddo, have a metric fuck-tonne of zombrex" and let the girl that's taking care of her while you're gone handle it. No instead you have to come back every fucking time you get one just to be sure she doesn't die and waste a shitload of time backtracking which cuts the time you have to spend getting to the far corners, exploring, and fighting bosses.

The problem with XCOM 2's specific timer is that it forced you into one particular play style with barely any variance. They could have handled it far more gracefully that mods have done it (like replacing it with a constant swarm of reinforcements or spending intel and an action to delay the timer by a couple of turns).

Speaking of Intel, they should have let you spend it before missions for bonuses, much like the radio tower mission.

>Then it does a 180 and does what the OG did but with explosions, lessened but still alright, also takes skill

I like dicking around in games and time limits are anti-dicking around. Atelier Rorona was the worst fucking thing because I couldn't chill out and craft a bunch of pies or go have a battle because I feel like it.

It's an anti-fun feature.
I'll give you dead rising, it's the only one where it is good, makes sense and makes game better.

I like time limits. It's a way to add tension unique to games.

Sort of related, but I wish more games had a story that changed if you take too long getting shit done. I appreciated that in Mass Effect 2's finale. I got the end mission but pissed around to finish side quests beforehand and in the meanwhile the reapers cooked my half crew into jelly. It was an entertaining twist.

Vanilla Abyssal City did that, but thankfully they changed it later to events triggers.

The only thing I fucking despised with Dead Rising 1's time limit was the timed missions where you would have to wait and wait and fucking wait for the next story mission to open up before you could do them.

ESPECIALLY when you get Carlito's locket after the faggot dies and return to Isabella. I want to give her the locket to advance the story but NOOO I HAVE TO FUCKING WAIT for the bitch to let you give it to her so she can decipher the laptop password.

There are enough people you can go and save during the downtime in the story that you never really have to wait. I don't recall ever standing around doing nothing until an event happens on my playthroughs.

If you're bad at Dead Rising you'll be standing around bored like a dumbass. Ideally you should be going off to save survivors or get better equipment. Any time I get downtime I usually raid the food places to make juices. Can't go wrong with combining it with the book to have an item that can completely heal back to full and give a buff at the same time.

I'm not bad though. I save survivors like there's a fire on my ass. Also, the only equipment I really need is my health item+ book, some mannequin torsos, and a few shotguns from the gun shop right next to the hideout. By the time I killed Carlito, there were no survivors left to save. I have a few UNTOUCHABLE mixed drinks with me currently. I had a fuck load of downtime because I speed through saving survivors as much as I can so I can have time to fuck around, but with the way the timing is set up with the missions, I only have enough time to fuck around in the North Plaza for a few minutes.

Majora's Mask time limit adds a unique purpose and it is lenient anyway. The purpose is a narrative one. You are constantly saving the day for someone/people but not all of Termina. You save the Goron village but don't have enough time to finish the temple? Restart the day again to do the temple but that village you saved? Left to suffer. Its physically impossible for Link to save everyone in one day so it adds a good deal to the journey, it adds a feeling of futility.

being under 10 and having only shitty schoolbooks to learn english from yes i did have problems with the fucking fallout timelimit because the waterchip could only be located in one specific random ass place and it was such a long maze path to get there with no guidance i managed to kill the cultist church and the mutant factory with multiple restarts i had +95% of the game mastered with all kinds of character stat combinations before i managed to finish the 1st damn quest.

All zeldas are fucking shit, who cares.

What did he meme by this?

Also, some time limits are weird. The ones in FF Type-0 bothered me, but then I wasn't in love with that game to begin with.

XCOM 2's timer was a very poor design choice, because it essentially forces you into one playstyle and it feels cheap in the way of putting pressure on you.
A game like Invisible Inc increases the pressure more and more until you're forced to either bail out or you lose.
XCOM 2 basically just pulls the plug on you and goes HA HA GO FUCK YOURSELF because if you strip away the timer the game is pretty much an exact copy of the previous one.

With you on the rest of the examples though.

The only time I had trouble with it was the boss rush, because fuck that fish.

Same kind of deal with Assault Android Cactus
The time limit (in the form of a meter that you can refill with an item drop that is tuned specifically to drop at regular time interval except when you're in trouble where it will drop much more easily) is very lenient and basically just requires you to not play like complete shit but that doesn't stop people from complaining.
Especially when you compare that to how the same system works in the only mode that is geared towards making it an actual issue.

Because Dead Rising puts you in a sandbox and says "Do anything you want" but then you can't because they put a fucking timer on your fun which causes you to constantly rush to do things

This coupled from the fact when you start the game you are 100% useless and you need to reach level 20+ in order to do the really fun shit thus you are constantly getting your shit handed to you in situations which wouldn't be ass raping hard if you could do useful shit out of the gate like flying dodge

Did I answer you well enough?

beating the game isn't the issue, it's not being able to explore everything

I'm reminded of this game called Gigantic Army where you'd have a time limit for each stage, and you'd get a higher score for finishing it faster. If the time hits zero, you explode. So, the obvious course of action is to go fast which also nets you a higher score, which is also a more fun way to play. The timer is still ridiculously lenient, with time bonus pickups scattered throughout the stage. If you go at a somewhat decent speed you won't even feel any time pressure. It only exists for scoring purposes and to prevent people from playing the game like a turtle. Yet there are still retards complaining about the time limit killing them because they are playing the game ridiculously slow.

There is something inherent to time limits that turns scrubs off, though it's probably worth it phrasing your intentions differently from 'go fast or die' to 'the game gets harder over time'.

Then learn to manage your time, why should you be able to do everything in one playthrough?

Is that even a thing?

If Steam reviews are to be believed, yes.

No time limit would make DR far too easy and kills any incentive to replay the game. That you have to manage time and make choices is a great inclusion to the game, especially with the setting of being stuck in a zombie and psychopath infested mall. You will not destroy the game, beat every boss and save every survivor your first playthrough. Its only a six hour game, about seven/eight with the true ending. You need to keep the player on their toes and push them to get better and learn the game inside and out so they have a reason to keep playing.

Now that I think about it, games with a global timer, majora's mask, fallout, dead rising pressured the kind of people who "want to get everything at their own leisure", which you can do in Majora's Mask, Fallout and Dead Rising, but they're so pressured by the timer, they crumble to their knees and cannot handle of the idea of limited time, which is why they end up school shooting.

Fuck you, buckle my shoe

A game you're forced to replay based on it's own mechanics in order to get the good endings is not well designed

Bet you bought and played Dead Rising 4

Time limits make achieving the goal priority over exploration/experimentation aka fun. It's just one more way devs try to force 'playing correctly'.
Now if the purpose of the game is challenge rather than fun that can be fine. Blast Corps is probably the game that stands out the most for time pressure; you have to clear out buildings in the way of a moving train before it hits them.

Bull. That's the best type of design. Single playthroughs are overrated.

And to bring it up again on a related note, Breath of Fire V does it differently where you have a meter that fills up by using very overpowered dragon abilities, but also slightly as you walk around. If it gets to 100% it's game over; but then gives newgame+ where you keep your stuff and 10% xp, which makes you faster.
Really good for first playthrough because you don't know how much leeway you have to use your OP dragon abilities.

Because time limited or timed mission make you rush yourself without building up a proper strategy e.g. Battle for middle earth 2 had a timed mission on fangorn, you where 2v1 and had to wait reinforcement for both side which makes you rush an halfassed defense against the enemy to resist till the ally arrives
Timed mission is the doorstep for speed run marking them cancer

The fact you've never had a problem with timers is reason enough to not bother with them. If it's not actually part of the challenge, then it's just an annoyance that prevents you from exploring the game at your own pace, and it was likely included specifically to keep you on the rails so you don't find the cracks in the developer's shoddy world.

It shouldn't be impossible to plan ahead what you are going to do this day to manage your time as effectively as possible. Pathologic is built entirely around time management. You decide what tasks you should prioritize, who you should talk to, and what shops you should go to. You can't do everything and time is limited, so planning is necessary. Maybe if you have time left you can explore the town a little. The only downside to it is that your primary mode of transportation is walking around while doing nothing much, which Fallout 1 worked around with its overworld exploration map where you can cross the world in seconds while time runs down quickly in the background.

If it is thematic it's fine. Eg, "the terrorists are going to execute the hostages unless we meet their demands in 10 mins" type shit in a very specific type of game would be fine.

Throwing a timer on a random objective is retarded.

Dead Rising 1 has a more detailed world than any of the open world meme games released in the last decade and the time limit only adds to the experience.
You're dead wrong.

I finished Fallout 1 in 2 hours on my first play through.
Dead Rising is a shitty casual game, never understood the hype.
Xcom 2 is basically Gears of War for people too inept to even aim.

You both missed the part where I said "unless the time limit is part of the challenge." Way to comprehend things you read.

I think he was making a reference to some weebtrash.

On the one hand, timed games are pretty stressing, but they also give a crash course on what to expect from the game. On the other, it looks to me like it serves as padding that is there for the sole purpose of stretching a game out longer than what it is. I can see the merits of timed games, but that mechanic needs to be used sparingly and logically. Like some other user said, DR2 also pissed me off because I couldn't just hoard tons of Zombrex and leave it with the girl, I had to always be there the exact moment she took it which took time away from exploring and doing sidequests. Why is it that I can't fuck around a little with the environment and weapons, AND enjoy the story in one playthrough, instead having to concentrate on either one during separate playthroughs? It gets boring just doing either one. If I fuck around too much and get bored of it, I would like to continue the story, but it is obviously impossible. If I concentrate on the story, I have little to no time to experiment and fuck around. I get the experience of the game in a piecemeal fashion. It is obviously designed with multiple playthroughs in mind and that is why the time mechanic is introduced; make less content seem like more. DR wouldn't work without time I agree, but having a little more of it during the less intense moments of the game would work wonders.

Obviously it depends on the game, but I would prefer the following:
-time only certain story critical missions
-time missions that require urgency (escaping from an exploding facility)
-give consequences for doing stuff early, on-time and late, WITHOUT ending the game outright, if possible.
-give the player a way to get more time, but not very easily and only under certain conditions

tl;dr: Timed games are easy once you are past the initial shock. It can enhance a game if used sparingly, but used wrong can sour the whole thing.

Did you just watch embed related or something?

Time limits absolutely forces you to play fast. No way to play it slowly exploring and goofing around doing shit.
Dead Rising is a game where it's specially fun to mess around doing random shit, that's why people don't like the time limits.

except my post had nothing to do with challenge
fuck off retard

Do I need to make the link for you here?

These types of games are designed for you to play multiple times though. I never understood that about completionists. Can't you enjoy a game in an "organic" way once before turning on full autism mode? And even when you do, why complain about something like that when it is still quite doable as long as you know the ins and outs of a game (Which a completionist should)?

Play the game more than once. Fuck, is it really that hard? Especially on a game like Fallout.

T. Dead Rising 4's core demographic

The Division in a nutshell as they turned it more and more into DayZ when people just wanted a loot shooter

This. And don't tell me to replay the game because even I'd get to see something new half the time the other half is the same shit and the gameplay is getting boring.

Not my fault that you play shitty games.
Even Dark Souls is designed to be played more than once and is enjoyable to do so. Fallout is an even better example.

I hate time limits. They are either pathetically short and trivial, too long and therefore way too punishing when you fail.

If I'm playing a timed game that gives me 5 minutes to do whatever I need to do, I'm happy to replay the section until I get it right. But if the section is 30 minutes or more, and I make no progress when I fail, I will put the game down and walk away from it for days at a time. I hate repeating the same content over and over again. It's just not fun.

I think the better option is to avoid a hard fail state when you miss the timer. Have the game allow the player to complete the objective outside of the time window, but punish them in some other way, either in the narrative or through gameplay. That way there is still motivation to complete the objective in the time limit, but there is also still a reason to continue if you fuck up early in the run. With this system the timing can be stricter as well, since the speed of the player isn't a gate to progress you can make the time limit more challenging and give greater rewards for players who are more willing to put in the time and effort to learn the game and git gud.

Lol smoothbrain doesn't know what he even is

Why was DR4 so bad?

Dark Souls is boring after beating it tho. It's like I said except it's like 80% the same shit. You can pick a different class so you have a slightly different way of fighting the same enemies and you can choose a different covenant to have a different way of doing pvp. Everything else is literally the exact same.

Because DR2 was terrible, and no one noticed.

If Dead Rising didn’t have a time limit, I wouldn’t be replaying it for the hundredth time. That series needs a time limit, otherwise there’s nothing to do after beating the game once.

To be honest it's not really the timers I hate in games, it's just the feeling of being rushed. Sure, have a timer or time limit for one or two missions or whatever, or have a game where you have to 'save the world in X amount of time' etc, but if the game is like Fallout, where it's brimming with content and all that good shit, why the fuck would I want to rush that and miss like 60% of all the content?Why would I want to talk to Harold the FEV mutant the whole time, and just think to myself, 'SHUT THE FUCK UP AND FINISH ALREADY HAROLD, I NEED TO GET SOME EXP QUICK SO I CAN FINISH THE GAME.' I feel like it's a similar principle to speedrunning, you're not experiencing or fully enjoying the game, you're just rushing through it, sampling it. It would be like going to a gourmet dinner rushing through each course, and at the end just sitting there wondering what the fuck happened as you ate so quickly you couldn't taste the food, and you ate so fast that your stomach sent your brain a message that it was full but now the it's over you're hungry again.

I like to savour things, and I don't mind the pressure or urgency of being rushed from time to time because that's just life really, but to penalise players who took their time to complete the game, as methodically and completely as they could (like in Fallout 1) by saying 'yea, the Vault dweller saved everyone and all that, but if they hadn't scoured every square of the game and just rushed through it then everything would have been okay, but because they were actively searching for more content and features they can go fuck themselves ' It's really just counterintuitive. Regardless, it won't, and has not pressured me into moving faster in those times, but it's still just annoying to me how someone would take extra care to flesh out every aspect of their game only to be at the end 'LOL YOU'RE TOO SLOW' for wanting to sample all that the game has to offer.

DR2 was okay.
Fuck off hater!

No. In Sports titles, the computer is playing with the same rules you are, and is also fighting the time limit. In other games, you're the only one dealing with the time limit, thus it's bullshit.

the funny part is that most people bitching about the time limit in FO1, or any overarching time limit for that matter, never actually tried to explore on their own pace and see what there is to see before the deadline was about to break
it's just something they assume will happen instead of actually testing it out

I dunno what to tell you man, the idea is that you don't miss the new shit the second time because you already know the areas. Dark Souls also offers the option of just revisiting the same area a few times, since it actually doesn't have a time limit.
Fallout is quite different because you lock yourself out of options by choosing other options. Additionally, you are more informed about the game and therefore better prepared to save NPCs you might have failed to save before. These games are in fact designed to be played more than once; they aren't long or very linear when they are done correctly. Fallout is a short game which almost has too much content to be enjoyed while getting a decent ending. Nobody expects you to play something like Mass Effect more than once, you do all the loyalty missions and win the game once because it's too fucking long unless you are really that curious to see what happens when you allow character X to die or fail.

You do realize you can fuck around and not give a shit about the story, right? You'll get a game over screen when you finally run out of time, but you can still keep playing. You'll just get a shitty ending at the end. You can use a no-shits-given playthrough to explore the mall and learn where all the useful shit is.
Also, when you git gud at Dead Rising, it's very fucking easy to manage your time, save survivors, do the Kent photo challenge side missions, fight psychopaths, etc.

dead rising i was fine with. xcom although the guerilla warfare aspect was kind of neat also felt it it was counter to how the game should be played. all they had to do was make it so the fucking aliens don't get a free turn on reveal

Fuck you I liked it

When OTR came out