What will you do when one day the steam servers are gone...

What will you do when one day the steam servers are gone? When you try to sign on to steam all you get is a message about being unable to connect to steam servers?

Most people i know have a few hundred games floating in their library they plan to eventually play, but only a dozen or so installed at any one time. Do you have a back up plan if your library of purchases gets lost? Do you keep back ups with cracks at the ready, if so what's your back up solution?

I won't care because I uninstalled that piece of shit years ago

you deserve to be a faggot

Good, this thread doesn't really apply to you, then.

Continue pirating, watch as other companies sperg around trying to fill the void, continue playing the games I bought on Steam because they can either be played without it, or the ones that have multiplayer and aren't dead by then will be kept alive by the devs without Steam.

I'm also pretty sure they already mentioned somewhere that in the 'unlikely' event they went down they'd have some sort of backup plan that would allow people to continue playing their games.
Steam dying won't affect anything on a personal level except deprive people of the most centralized online vidya store that ever existed.

Stopped buying games a while ago. If I really need any that I "lost", I would just pirate them.

The same thing my family did when we were evicted by the soviets i guess?
Move on and build up library of games again.
The amount i have spent on steam is smaller than what i lose due to inflation.
fuck off with your shitty low-effort threads
>>>/cuckchan/

celebrate

Not care about it? I have never bought a single Steam game.

same

This was years ago, and i think if anyone has that much faith in valve any more they are great fools.

That's good, though. You should have learned about centralization from Napster if nothing else.

I don't see how anything would change that. I also don't think it's that outlandish to think a fuckhuge company would want to save its own neck. You can keep saying "oh but you only bought "LICENSES :^)" to play those games", but see how well that holds up when you actually put that into practice and deprive people of their vidya.

Regardless, the first part of my post still stands. Nothing would change. Something else would eventually fill the void, for better or worse and I'd still have my vidya.

I'm only stating facts, not whether I think it's good or bad.

i'm gonna laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh

In the unlikely event that happens, I'll just use GoG(Since most developers will probably flock to that service if Steam went down) or buy the physical CD-ROMs or purchase a key through the official website. In the even more unlikely event that Valve lied about us being given full rights to our library if Steam goes down, then I'll just pirate everything I once owned.
Steam going down is only an issue for fags who refuse to pirate and are too retarded to know that there are other places to get games from.

I stopped buying games for a while now, except multiplayer games of course.

I don't think there is anything to lose as long as you don't pay to games

Go back to what I did before Steam made it easy to subject yourself to bullshit DRM and still have to fiddle with things to make games work on your machine

It's cheaper, too

It's highly unlikely at this point that Steam will ever "go down"

Because of just how much market share Steam has and how profitable it is. It's more likely even if Valve went out of business they'd sell it. Like EA wanted to buy Steam several times.

People are looking at Steam like they see it as inevitable that it will one day "go down" but in reality it would more likely be absorbed into something else.

Additionally almost nobody knows this but Steam already allows you to back up your games. It's been a feature for many years now. You can back up your games to whatever storage medium you want (even CDs) and restore them

Watch google buy it

Yeah but don't use that feature it's garbage.
Easier to just shove the games folder into whatever compressed format you want and call it a day.

Every game has a nosteam crack so if you have the steam version installed then it's laughably simple to crack

I have under a dozen total in my steam library, and only 2 installed currently.
I have physical copies of older games I enjoy. There's a few titles that I missed out but I can scour it online and it's not extremely rare. The titles that are online only, I've bought directly and will work on their own. If Valve Steam actually does go bankrupt somehow (not impossible but unlikely at this point) something else will try to fill in the void.

Plus there's always that backlog of 16bit and PS1 era emulation that can last me a lifetime.

I'll stop playing videogames.
or just pirate them like I should have

Literally fucking nothing. All the games I have on it are free shits and the only game I even play on it is Tree of Savior, and even if it's gone, nothing of value was lost. It's a piece of shit game anyway.
I'd be pretty sad though, because it's the sole platform of communication with some anons I played vidya with, and I hold them dearly.

gay

Pathetic

I just use whatever alternative there exists and understand that the ~£60 I've spent on games has entertained me for the 7 years I've had a steam account and got my moneys worth.
I'd miss all the weird and wonderful games that'd randomly appear in my library but that's the nature of digital media, not everything can last forever.

It's incredibly easy to just make a random Steam account then add each other into a group to plan game night together. This is before Discord and the shitty account activation ruined fucking everything though, and IRC is not exactly a common thing nowadays. Besides, it's pretty safe to assume that someone who plays vidya extensively most likely has a Steam account already.
And I met them at first as anons, so it's safe to call them anons, no?

Wew, sure smells like reddit around here.

Takes one to know one, faggot.

Yes it is and you should go back.

Pray to God that it doesn't get replaced with another online service and we can get big-box PC games with all manner of goodies inside.

I've been meaning to abandon steam, backup my favorites to discs and throw cracks on them for years now. Just never got around to it because steam itself is just too convenient most of the time.

And I would go full autism too. Each game will have a case with a custom cover and the disc(s) will be lightscribed with the game logo.

Satan, everyone's in an IRC. They're probably making fun of you right now.

Oh yay it's this fucking thread again

Isn't this basically console wars? Can't you come up with anything better to talk about?

Those days are probably gone. Well, at least reasonable goodies at reasonable prices at least.

I can handle myself around IRC fine since I had to write a bot for it as a class assignment, it's just not common for a random person on a more normalfag-friendly imageboard I frequent to also uses IRC.
It was ichan and it was pretty shit all things considered.

If I also dropped my IQ around 80 points then I'll probably be able to make a connection.

Considering that 100 of the games I bought on it I got either for free or for chump change off of bundles, and the remaining 50 are under the 20$ with one or two exceptions, I'd be marginally pissed but that's about it.
As for backups I've got some HDDs onto which I back up all the games I've bought or pirated and enjoyed.

user big box PC games were designed to take up more shelf space so you would notice them while walking in a store. Putting shit in the box was just to bribe people to buy it.

Retail as a concept is dying worldwide. Additionally once console games transitioned to DVD boxes so did PC games. It's hugely unlikely we'd ever see big box PC games again on a mass scale. Additionally most computers don't even have disk drives, neither do most laptops.

There are companies that manufacture boxes for people who just want them but it's entirely unnecessary.

console wars = platform wars
Don't be daft

What's wrong with publishers actually trying to entice people into buying a game by putting cool shit both in and on the box? It's much better than the shitty viral marketing we get with digital.

Keep rotting in my grave? If I won't fossilize by that time anyway.

Again, if I lowered my IQ around 80 points then I'll probably be able to make a connection.

More like reddit like everything uses words that are used here.
There are some faggots that are convinced reddit is every other fag posting.

Most retailers nowadays don't want shit to take up space anymore, publishers don't want to deal with shipping costs, it's all about moving as much volume or reducing as much costs as possible.

it must suck going through life as a retard. the only games I care about, I backup with that feature and it works great. in the event that Steam goes down, there is always a crack to gain offline access to what I want to play.

Steam will probably eventually die, but I guarantee you no one on this board, not even the underageb&, are gonna live to see that happen.
Steam, much like the gaming industry itself, is a monopoly that’s too big to fail.

Not notice it.

ill be dead or have given up vidya by then

There's a literal crack site that has dlls and steamp.apis to download for your games.
I don't buy games anymore anyway. Nothing worth buying and playing the past few years.

Have you verified this, out of curiosity?

Pirate everything in my Steam library, email Valve what I did, and tell them to come at me, bros.

I already back up my Steam copies. If it went down I'd have all my games, and all I'd have to do is crack them.
Then I'd go watch the PC Master Race guys sperg out and laugh at them.

I haven't used steam since I met my boyfriend.

Fuck off with your faggotry.
Get AIDS and die.

Be careful user. That's getting dangerously close to Gay.

typical steamfag

Play video games.

Pirate the games I meant to play but never got the chance to.
If they're multiplayer games then I guess I'm fucked but it's kind of pointless anyways since there's no reason I'd buy a multiplayer-reliant game but avoid playing it until the community is mostly-dead anyways.

The only thing of value I would lose is Valkyria Chronicles and my save files, which I can just pirate
And Van Helsing 1 and 2 I guess
I don't have a backup plan because I barely use Steam and effectively stopped a while ago

I'll shitpost on Holla Forums as usual.

Are u a cute grill with two boob

Multiplayer games will be dead anyways, crack the singleplayer shit I still had installed and pirate anything I give a shit about that I hadn't played.

Same thing I did when I realized I would never again install a game from physical media: Repurchase the very few good ones (when they were on sale) and forget about the rest.

While there are a very few games that I play over and over and over, most games aren't worth playing more than once, if that. So my Steam library goes poof. There are maybe ten of those games I'd want to play again. It shouldn't be that big a deal to buy them again from whatever game-shop that comes up after Steam.

To sum up: Meh.

Because when that cool shit stops being cool, which it will, it'll just be shit. The only thing in the box that matters is the game. Thanks to this newfangled innernets thingy, we don't even need the box.

First, worst case scenario are games like P.T. that a popular game is locked by uncracked DRM and pulled off the market, whether due to (((censorship))) or a publisher being stupid. Secondly, the majority of games taken down and/or unplayable are due to them being online-only or cloud-based: EA and Blizzard are responsible for most of these certain cases, in which it's arguable these games were any good.

Worst we have to worry is a buyout like said. However, the perfect countermeasure is this:

1. If you ever bought a game on steam and there's a non-steam version available, download and install that instead. Even if you get banned, you will always have that game, just watch where your saves go so you can back those up too.
2. SAVE YOUR TORRENT DOWNLOADS even if you erase the .torrent files. In the case that all public trackers shut down and we still have to use I2P, that's going to be worth its weight in gold soon once the next alphabet soup bill rolls in and picks up where the TPP left off.
3. Whenever possible, torrent the fitgirl repacks or compress the game files yourself. Games aren't going to step back the 50GB installs anytime soon due to laziness, and ISPs like it because it makes their data caps work to their advantage and makes torrents harder to hoard.
4. Set up a NAS server when you can, using Debian or FreeBSD if you need constant storage. Cryptoscams are back en vogue, and if you aren't rocking an antivirus don't update Windows if you can, you pleb you could say goodbye to your backups that you forgot to unplug.
4. NTFS has a built-in compression system meant for backup folders that get constant usage, consider using that if 7zip is too unwieldy.

I'll pirate the twelve games I own on it, nbd.

Nothing lasts forever, but something so huge and so profitable like Steam is not likely to disappear anytime soon. But it could happen if any of these was the case:

Just like USSR.

Reported. All faggots will be slaughtered.

CUCK ALERT

If it's the worst-case scenario and it straight-up dies and takes all the vidya I have on the platform with it, I'll just pirate all my vidya, and probably buy from GOG or directly from the devs if their game's really worth it.
If anything less happens, I'll probably still end up going that route since literally every other steam-like service somehow manages to be even fucking worse than steam.

The amount of edgy redditors in this thread is amazing

Stop being so delusional. Even assuming that something like this is probable, Steam would likely offer its users a method by which they can have access to their library, either through some other platform or through direct downloads.

If Steam dies, it'll mean all other digital download services die and it'll be because of one reason and one reason only (Which I feel will become reality in 15-20 years)

Gaming will be a service.

It'll end up like how TV was before cord cutting. You'll just log on to the network of your choice, be it Microsoft, Sony, Activision, EA, whatever, and play their games as they are streamed to the large TV/Set-top-box that you bought at Best Buy and never see anything physically brought into your home or stored onto any device. You'll just access the game remotely on a network server and pay monthly for this "privilege".

Like it or not, that's where gaming is headed. As net speeds improve and file sizes increase and streaming technology improves and cloud storage becomes accepted by the younger generation and their kids and their kid's kids, it'll just be a natural, accepted, normal thing that nobody in the 18-35 age group will give a shit about.

Before you laugh, keep in mind a 40+ year old retard like me laughed in 2006 when Bethesda threw the horse armor out at Oblivion players and thought the gigantic backlash it received meant that sort of thing would forever be frowned upon. In this age of DLC, we see the opposite happened. It's like how people got pissed about paid mods 2 years ago and now creation club is a thing on FagOut4 and other than message board bitching, nothing is happening that will make devs backpedal from it.

Tiny little steps into anti-consumer Territory, little by little, is all it takes. A chip here, a scrape there, and the whole suit of armor peels off.

You want devs to keep making things you like?

No?

I think Steam is cancer, but people would just reverse engineer Steam and emulate it all. We already have Steam emulators. More would come.

I can see a basic package where you get your cawadooties and sports and lol-type games. Then, a more expensive premium package that gets you those epic episodic story games with lots of nudity and big name actors.

Valve likely has or is looking into that anyway. Steambox is crap but they are definitely eyeing the living room gaming setup.

MS is too incompetent and shat on their own non designated street, no one is buying into their windows store bullshit at the moment. Not sure how Sony is doing actually, their gaymes division is probably the only profitable division at this point. Activision Blizzard battlenet, they're jewier than valve.
The one entity I can see having a credible chance of pulling that off is Google. Even that is still a huge gamble.

same user from the above post. I've never had to, but you make a valid point. Best I've ever had to try has been when the internet was out for like 2 days and I just ran a backup to play something. I thought Steam normally permits access for 72 hrs before a check in using offline. I've only seen the cracks for the complete offline check-in.

I'm doubtful about this, not only because you need some pretty big leaps in innovation and huge infrastructure investments to overcome lag, but also because a large number of people, even in developed countries like the US and Canada, still don't have access to "unlimited" high-speed internet. Not only do you have to Jew people into allow this kind of shit and convince the ISPs to play along, but also do it in such a way you become a market trendsetter.

You use the example of Bethesda and DLC, but the truth of the matter is that there's plenty of DLC out there that is the equivalent of expansion packs of old, and Bethesda isn't exactly enjoying their time in the sun right now. Sure, they might not be feeling the burn right now, since it takes a while for these kind of things to pick up steam, but I'm sure their bullshit won't win them any favors when TESVI is to be released and people find out they neutered modding as much as possible.

i'll celebrate

And how do you supposed developers that actually bother making a good game are going to make more if no one gives them shekels?

What are you, dumb? They're not.

Continue pirating.
resort to pirating games i buy to support good devs/good games

Be already dead?

I mean by the time they die the games will probably be way out of date and have lots of torrents or even be classified as abandon-ware as they where in this event.

Or just download them because legally they have to gib.

Also you are a worthless monkey.

You know what will kill Steam?
When Microsoft buys them.
They’re the only general computing platform without an actual App Store.
Apple’s got the App Store, Google’s got Google Play, but Microsoft’s got an abomination hated by all.

lol

D-d-d-do you mean…

Microsoft Live?

Also Google's shit just gets /ignored like google + and stuff.

Do you have any idea how much money Steam makes, this is a silly question. That said, if it did happen I'd just switch steam to offline mode.

It's happening already. I have Comcast, and in my area, as of 2 years ago, they ditched the data caps entirely. I usually hit 750GB or so a month and my bill has no change whatsoever. I know Comcast is shit, but in the boondocks where I live, it's either them or shitty local DSL. It's very likely that in 10-15 years those caps, as sizes increase on things, will vanish everywhere, 3rd world nations like the US included.

That's not my point though. I'm not saying that DLC is filling their pockets, just that it has become accepted - or at least begrudgingly accepted - by the majority of consumers over the past 11 years. I'm sure it still accounts for a small percentage of their business, but all that matters is that they've convinced consumers that its acceptable and they can get away with it to hide their laziness.

Wouldn't matter if you think of it in the TV network analogy I initially used. Think about it: In the 80s/90s/early 2000s if you wanted TV, what did you do? You paid one of the local TV barons $xx.xx a month and they gave you access to the channels you wanted (in a package deal of course). You didn't pay Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, CNN, or FOX individually, you paid Comcast/Warner/whoever. That's why cable is in such a bind know, since to be fair, they can't charge per network because failing networks people don't want anymore (Like ESPN) are holding them back from de-bundling/packaging channels.

But anyway, it would be the same as that. You wouldn't pay Sony or MS or Blizzard to play their game library individually, you'd pay "Huge Network Monolith" $xx.xx a month to subscribe to a tier/package/bundle that has the companies you liked in it. So you could say "Oh, tier 3 has Sony, MS, Sega, and Blizzard, but not EA…but I don't need EA, so let's stick with tier 3". It'll just be like TV. We just need to figure out who the "Huge Network Monolith" will be. Google? Maybe.

As I said, TV buying will be different 20 years from now. It'll be more of an uplink to "the network" and will be used to streaming more than just movies and shows. Just like how the first TVs had external antennas or antennas you had to purchase and eventually had them internally, you'll see the same happen with set top boxes.

Console manufacturers will like this because it doesn't pay MS, Sony, or Nintendo to plan, develop, market and test new hardware every 5 or so years. They'd rather just focus on software, especially if it's given out completely digitally with no need for physical alternatives.

All i know is that Gaben got my back covered and i trust him fully with my money

They have at least 2.
The windows 8 appstore, and the Windows 10 appstore. Not including Games for Windows live, or Xbox360 appstore since both are either shut down or shutting down.

Steam games require to be run in online mode every 2 weeks or so.

Cancer!

/thread

I remember saying the same thing about Myspace. Then it was replaced with something worse - Facebook.

All evils die and are replaced with even greater evils. You and I will never see a return to the "Go to Comp USA, buy boxed PC game, go home, install" days. The best we can do for now is torrent the ISO, store it on a physical disc, keep them in binders and hold on to them that way.

Misinformation, there is no limit, there used to be a limit of one month like 4 years ago which was removed eventually when they changed the updating of games from optional to mandatory.

Laugh at Steamdrones as they are unable to play their games.

I only buy multiplayer games where pirated versions don't allow you onto the servers, and I highly doubt steam itself will go down before those games individual servers do, so it wouldn't really affect me.

They died a long time ago. All that's left is a rotten corpse.

There is still the huge issue of licensing those content, even for a megacorp like Google that is a minefield. With the cable tv model of the era you mentioned, their only bargaining chip left is sports and maybe some live broadcasts. And those are not holding that steady, even sportstards I know either get their fix online or subscribe only to whateverhandeggleague dot com separate subscription if it's offered.

I agree on manufacturers wanting to cut costs espeically on digital only, but I'm not convinced that gayming industry will look at the failing model of 90's 2000's cable tv, and go "we should copy that". Then again, since we are talking mostly western vidya industry, I'm not going to underestimate their retardation. They're sucking up to the hollywood muh cinematic experience pretty hard after all.

Play my cracked versions.
Because it's legal to crack software you paid for.
Steamworks DRM is laughably easy to crack, on purpose.
Dickhead.

Don't use the back catalog then. Imagine a sort of "great reset" or new starting point where every company - all of them desperate to cut costs in a declining economy - are willing to have every new game at some date/era going forward, be open to porting/licensing/whatever. Sure, you'd miss out on Halo:CE, the old JRPGs you want, or whatever Gamecube game you still marathon with your friends, but chances are the retro market, which is huge now, will satiate that need for you. Or you still own the actual hardware.

There's really no other option for them that makes both devs and shareholders happy. As for that 20th century TV model lasting, it won't have to. Another 40-50 years after this happens, the generation growing up at the time will have chips slotted into their head computers and they won't even need a monitor.

I would be kinda sad

This is bait

Sorry for being a little less than enthusiastic over the weekly I'm such a nigger thread.

Then why do you play? Why even come to Holla Forums?

If they have bills to pay, they're in the wrong line of work. The way these studios rise and fall, it's silly to expect to have a career out of it. Unless you're a good ass kisser who can hop from one dev to another, like Avellone.

Vast majority of games I have played, I have no desire to play again.
Most everything I got on sale.
I've got my enjoyment out of most of them.
I have over 300 games on there and it is a lot of Humble Bundles and steam sale bundles.
Never paying more than $20 maybe.
I find it much better than renting games and that is pretty much what I equate it to.
Cheap "indefinite" rentals.
I don't backup, but I'd probably only have about 20 of my 300+ games.
Not even my favorites, just games that to me have replay value.

One would question the nature of the scenario as if Steam itself was destroyed weather another online retailer would pick up the slack?
Would publishers just be selling their games on their own websites?
One would think that it would start a piracy boom of what would seem like very justified people.
Unless the internet has gone to shit and at that point you have bigger things to worry about.

The only things I have that require steam are already cracked or are bethesda games, so nothing of value is lost.

Even this one?

I think you're oversimplifying the situation. Sometimes a studio makes a really good game but can never make a sequel due to lack of interest. Other times a really good game is very successful the publisher sees potential for a wider audience and the sequels are all dumbed-down trash. Sometimes a dev makes a really good game as a passion project and has no intention to make a living off of it. Many of the best games out right now are this kind of game.

slot machine trips checked
Come to think of it, you don't even have to imagine it. Something like Android and ChromeOS kind of proved that point already. I'm not saying it's great or does not have a downside, and I think google as a megacorp is not a good thing at all. But holy shit they managed to iterate on things like chromebooks quite well for the average appliance shoppers.
I'd like to have a slim hope of that not happening. And you know I think what will prevent it is not any conscience but practicality and technical incompetence. That said I actually remember how something like the V-chip happened.

As much as they want it to happen, it can never work in America because the ISPs are the biggest bottleneck to their plans. Even if Steam bribed them to improve their infrastructure to remove the (((cited))) cause of data caps, data caps will still exist until a new, successful ISP steps forth without one. Until then, the best they can do is install locally to the hardware and lock it as best they can with Denuvo-like DRM. If they decide to push forth anyway, AAA games would be too expensive for a household going over the cap, and they'd find cheaper entertainment instead.

In short, this is corporate wishful thinking to get rid of pirates, by not giving pirates the files to crack in the first place by doing something that would rob them of their money.

Pirating the games what i have.

Realistically, I think this is probably what's going to happen anyway…so you're probably right on this point. Consider my earlier ruminations to be based merely on a "best case" scenario.

yup, and getting back to my earlier point about the creation club nonsense - that's how this sort of thing gets so big you can't avoid it. They get one toe in the door and people just sigh and shrug it off, then a year later the whole foot makes it in. They just need enough people to accept it as something unavoidable and before long, it's standard practices. works in every field.

I once bought a game that you needed a steam account to install.

I dropped it in the trash.

Realistically, I think this is probably what's going to happen anyway…so you're probably right on this point. Consider my earlier ruminations to be based merely on a "best case" scenario.

yup, and getting back to my earlier point about the creation club nonsense - that's how this sort of thing gets so big you can't avoid it. They get one toe in the door and people just sigh and shrug it off, then a year later the whole foot makes it in. They just need enough people to accept it as something unavoidable and before long, it's standard practices. works in every field.

You went around gathering a harem in that one, a feature later entries sorely missed.

That only makes it so much more important to pay for those few games that are worth replying.

I'm as worried about this as I am of Microsoft suddenly going bankrupt and Windows disappearing overnight.

It won't happen in the next 10 years, even if it happens after that they'll probably be ways to still keep all the games I bought. Steam has brought more people to PC gaming than ever before and I don't see it coming down unless a majority AAA/AA/indie developers all leave steam. Origin and Battle.net only go so far for one dev and the games sold on GOG are also sold on steam. Even without games, Valve makes a fuckton of money on the marketplace. I don't think consumers that actually buy games and support devs aren't going to leave steam any time soon.

every "when will steam die" thread adds another 10 years

That will never happen, at least not during Gabe's lifetime. By the time it *may* I happen, I won't really care because I will be too old and possibly playing less vidya. Besides, I have a collection of roms and isos with around 16TB (it also includes PC games, though), and I have a little over 900 games on GoG. Ultimately, I don't care about such a remote possibility. Valve is too big to fail, unless it has a heart attack - and that heart is named GabeN.

I have enough mental disorders that I'll probably have gone off my meds and slashed my throat in a convenience store or something by then.

For all the console shits fearmongering this kind of garbage: PC gaming is freedom. We have cracks and private servers, our games will never die.

drink a bit less koolaid, it's really sad. the freedom meme was never true.

I use it to talk to a handful of friends and occasionally play a game or two which could be played without steam. I doubt any of the current giant awful companies will die any time soon even though it would be a blessing for vidya

I'll be just fine because I stopped using this cancerous piece of shit service years ago.

What is easier to go into extinction, hardware that you can't reproduce or software that you can copy with any operating system?

There are Steam Emulators floating around. It would probably be a good idea to start hording those in fact just in case. Most Steam Emulators are just 500k .dll files

What kind of fucking gay as shit insult is that? Did I hurt your sensibilities? Do you have e-friends and you hold them dearly too and you are you gonna miss them if they go away abloo bloo? Oh the poow bwaby won't be able to see talk with his Steam friends anymore! Get some real friends champ.

Thye're bound to make your license avaiable no matter what, they would have to provide a service either offering them DRM free or in care of another successful business.

Even if such a scenario happens I'll just pirate everything again, no issue, the games I bought I did to support companies I like.

laugh at the good times I had
reflect on the bad
make sure I've got contact info for all the people I care about

and then play some more video games

Don't forget the transfere between different mediums.

Nothing is stopping another medium from literally inheriting my library. Gog has a lIbrary transfer it's up to the developer to even implement. Unlikely but there's always a market for this stuff. And there's always piracy. I have a library of stuff to pirate now vs before where I only pirated stuff that was mildly popular.

Wish I had that kind of internet.

What you are suggesting doesn't actually for work at best, one game.

I haven't signed onto steam for like 5 years now.

Are you dumb too? Giving a company money for a video game does not guarantee or even incentivize them to make the next game the same way. You may not have noticed, but video game businesses need to make money.

Objectively incorrect

Please post your anecdotal evidence so I can ignore it and we can go about our Sunday.

As illogical as it seems it's very common to have a sequel to something popular that changes plenty of what people liked in the first one.

It literally violates basic economic building policy to do shit like that, unless you are a massive megacorp that can AFFORD to shit out a failure it just isn't fiscally viable to plop out a sequel to a game that radically broadens gameplay.
The potential value loss in a potentially alienating sequel is just straight up too high to actually do.

Oh wow, you didn't even post anecdotal evidence. Good job, brainlet.

Oh yeah, how dare I entertain a conceptually flawed thing, Next you'll be asking me to assert with evidence why Socialism doesn't work.

Feel good that I was able to compensate devs by paying for the games I enjoyed instead of pirating them and contributing to the death of videogames like a fucking nigger.

When Valve first started Steam, they stated that if it were to ever shut down, they would remove DRM on all of the games you currently had installed. Who knows if they remembered that, however.

Just because something's a bad idea that doesn't mean it's incentivized.

Celebrate and from there on mark that day of the year as a national holiday.

it's valve. They're a husk and if you believe that shit they said (which I've never even seen a source for, tbh) you're being played hard

Go back to playing doom mods and iji.

Won't care, since I'll be dead before Valve goes out of business

There is absolutely no reason to believe a company will provide a service like that in a time of crisis when saving every penny counts.

I don't even use Steam

This shit already happened numerous times in history.

How stupid/underage do you have to be to believe valve will go out of business in our lifetime?

It's the same idiots that envision Google or Microsoft failing. Once something gets "too big to fail" it actually is, and if it ever comes close to failing they'll get money injections, either by investors or by the gubmit. Big companies are almost immune to this kind of shit, and Valve especially since their overhead is likely minuscule compared to what they actually make from Steam and all their games.

I fucking hate video games and I hope this whole industry crashes with no survivors.

Steam has outright stated that their gameplan for shutdown would be to release an offline patch for their entire library. Granted you'd still have to download that library before they shut down.

Of course that will never happen because as soon as Steam goes under some other even more cancerous even more Jewish company will buy them up and completely assrape the entire platform.

Steam is too big to fail at this point, their control of the PC marketplace eclipses everything else. Every other retailer for modern PC gaming sells steam keys. They'd probably get government intervention just to keep everything running because of the insane fallout that would happen if everyone lost their games.

Someone else would just buy them.

Imagine the perfect storm of cancer if EA buys Valve.

No one from valve has ever said this, it is a claim with no source and no part of the user agreement indicates this will happen. Don't be a hopeful fool and assume valve has your best interests at heart when they've been demonstrating the opposite for years.

EA, Microsoft, Google or Facebook.
If Disney bought Valve, they would deliver Half-Life 3 and make a new episode every year.

Well thanks to GoG I can easily pirate shit, no need for steam or anything.