Phantasy Star Thread anyone? Wanna talk about the classic games, PSO, PSU, PSZ, PSO2, PSO Drama?

Phantasy Star Thread anyone? Wanna talk about the classic games, PSO, PSU, PSZ, PSO2, PSO Drama?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7i_0AMLVb4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Been meaning to get into the classic ones (or at least I, II, and IV; if I recall right III's not especially well liked). I know I and II have patches to tweak/correct the translations (not sure if either are ground-up retranslations, or just specific improvements for particular points), but how's IV's English script? I don't see it having had a patch, so I'm not entirely sure if I should make that out to be that it's fine, or that there's just somehow been a lack of interest in wanting to improve it.

Also debating PS I and II Originals vs the patched Generations versions as which would be better to start with, anyhow.

Could have posted in the current JRPG thread that's up instead of making a new thread. Just saying.

PS 3 remake when?

From what I have seen, Generation added stuffs to the combat system, and the first one has a 'I win' button in the form of 4-6 turns of paralysis, working on bosses. 2 I dunno if it does anything to help the intense grinding of the original but the combats are even slower.

3 is disliked, sure, and probably the least canon of the serie, but I'd say it is still playable and have an original setting.

Anyone with a flashcart feel like playing some PS:Z ?

you forgot to specify "with the sound muted"

youtube.com/watch?v=k7i_0AMLVb4

III has some very cool concept art, the setting as hinted in the concept art and sketches has a lot of interesting potential to be a mix of decaying high tech with fantasy. But the actual game didn't have those things hinted in the concept art. The music and sound was a mixed bag, the monster designs didn't look very appealing, I don't even remember if the generations offspring system was any good because everything else about the game was either lacklustre or too annoying. Out of all the series, III probably needs the most polish and reworking but it does have potential.

How big is the PSP2(i) community?

No, lol.

PSO2 to PSO is what PSO to classic PS series.
It's magnificent on its own, but apart from a few nods it has nothing to do with previous game.

IV is fine. The translation is much better than other JRPGs of it's era. It's almost anachronistic in how ahead of it's time certain things about that game were.

Anyone up for some Ephinea?

Just play 4. The others are mediocre but 4 is one of the best JRPGs ever.

Right, so I'm in the mood to throw a pitch for a new turn-based Phantasy Star series. I want to take some good things from the latter games and see if a turn-based game would be possible. I'm aiming for the pace of 2's battles with PS4 mechanics.

Just giving a heads up. Ideas I have at the moment are a job system based on 3 parts of strike/gun/tech. Examples are one part strike is a Hunter class; one part gun and one part tech is an Agent class; and three parts tech is an Esper class.

The other idea is that your photon power is in both weapons and your "photon core". PP in weapons are used for arts. PP in your core acts as your body armor shaving damage through PP, but is also used for enhanced movements, senses, regen, and other passives. Also if your weapons are out of energy or need more than their current capacity then you can "overcharge" by expending your core's power at the cost of armor and passives until the core recharges.

A hunter's photon core is mainly used as a shield to absorb damage and enhancing strength/speed for martial arts. Ranger's core is used for their mobility systems via dash bursts which are used to get out of the way quickly, find cover, and shoot. Force's core is mainly a PP resevoir for technics but they do have a force field for pushing away foes in a pinch and maybe nullifying fire/ice/electric attacks.

There will be distance, mobility, and positioning as factors for targeting, turn order, action lag, etc. This will not be a strategy game. This will still be a turn-based RPG just with terrain and formation as factors in decision making.

II is probably one of the most brutal games in terms of bleak resolutions to the storyline, and honestly I think it's worth a look on it's own merit. Though, you don't actually have to PLAY the games for that - you can just read the script if it's still online (it's not long), and then read some of the supplementary material.

It's a lot of hoops, but that's just how things were back then. Nobody really though the players were all that interested in stories and well fleshed out characters who develop over the course of the game, considering that DQI and FFI were pretty much just absent from just what was needed to push the player around the map.

IIRC, Because PSI was well received, for a master system game in Japan anyhow, there was a big internal discussion during PSII's development where the art and writing teams wanted to really take the story-telling to the next level - but the gameplay guys and programmers didn't want to waste the precious cartridge space for something customers might not want. So there was a compromise, and PS2 released with pretty much a bare-bones plotline with no real character development… but they also released a ton of supplementary material like choose your own adventure books and text adventures and what-not that fleshed out all of the characters and gave their presence context. Turns out, that shit sold pretty well and Nei became a hugely popular character.

PSIII was already in development by the time it was really apparent how much people picked up on the story, so PSIV was initially going to be a SegaCD game with FMV anime cutscenes - but eventually had to be pared down and reworked for the Genesis into the PSIV we got.

That's why PSIV was so story-heavy for it's time, and featured the out-of-game cutscenes that later games like FF7 would capitalize on.

It's really a shame they didn't just take the chance with PSII, since what they had to work with could have been really amazing for it's time.

Data Memory girl still a cutie.

Thing is, IV's scenario makes a lot of nods to I and II, so knowing what happens in these two is something I'd strongly suggest myself. The link to III is more tenuous, but best character is a 'recurring' one from that episode

If you wait at the title screen there is a summary of past events.

I heard before that PSI and II act as build up to IV, where playing them first makes the eventual experience better, hence my wanting to start with some version of the first game and move from there.

Oh, so that's what those things I saw listed alongside the actual PSII's Genesis patch were? Is there a particular point in playing the actual game that they should be played alongside (assuming that there's some sort of actual "X fits in this part of the main game, Y fits here" sort of deal, or was the idea to beat the main game first, and then play those to overlay more characterization/development/plot over the prior experience? How did they even release them in Japan anyhow, some sort of bundle, or did they get people to pay for eight individual additional parts?

On that note, it looks like they have a different translator than the actual PSII patch saw. Do they still have consistency with names/terminology used with the main game's patch?

Good to know, thanks.

Wouldn't you rather play on the hottest new server out there Destiny? Matt after all is scared of people leaving his server due to how boring vanilla pso is. Sadly for him though I'd just rather play on Destiny and get a chance at a loot crate containing potentially a sweet custom item such as a purple n green needle (yes daily dose put on a gun and made to look like a launcher, that has skull decor on it) with shot range called gravedigger that fires off unreduced demons that can hit 5 targets or some other nonsense cause this server's goal is balance so what better balance is there to create dreamcast needle for rangers but make it even better?

Oh and if you want to support the server they take bitcoin donations for this 17 year old game people. Oh and this isn't an advertisement at all.

The OST is so fucking GOOD.

bump

Sadly PS is dead

People here still play PSO2? Planning on finally picking it up.

Will this play ever work?

I wish I wasn't.

Don't.
It lures you in with big dress up, fast combat and cute girls, and then drains you dry with grinding, bullshit story and absolute cancer of a playerbase.
Play Phantasy Star Portable 2 instead. Infinity version if you know jap.

I'm just curious what your expectations might be.

I'm waiting for my b-day in January to do my annual original SMS Phantasy Star run through. However… I'm strongly considering replacing the SRAM batteries in all my classics. Anyone have any luck replacing batteries in old games like this? Here's my super short list:

SMS
-Phantasy Star
-Miracle Warriors

NES
-Final Fantasy
-Zelda
-Zelda 2

Not sure if I need to worry about my 16bits yet either.

Never changed the batteries myself, but Miracle Warriors? I'm kind of surprised that there's people liking it. Kind of a very limited game as far as I remember