Why doesn't the steam store have any actually fucking useful tags like "port of a phone game" or "early access...

Why doesn't the steam store have any actually fucking useful tags like "port of a phone game" or "early access vaporware"?

For that matter, why does it not have an option to filter out tags without manually finding tag IDs and fucking with query strings?

What

Its a (((remaster)))

Because the tag system got abused when it first came out and we can't have fun, this is steam, so they removed the community tags and only left the shitty ones

When the tag system was first released there was no curation of tags. This lead to games being labelled accurately and appropriately (for example, Fez had the tag "choking hazard"). Gaben didn't like this at all, so within a few days the entire system was reworked so that only Steam's shitty default tags are accepted.

BBC2: Vietnam costs $15 and you can't even play it anymore.

Female protagonist is my most hated tag.

Opposite for me. If the game doesn't have a female protag I'm out

Same, fuck that shit.

What's wrong with Trine?

Nothing, but the "female protagonist" tag usually doesn't bode well for games.

It was fun while it lasted though

It should also have a better way to spread info about known problems with the product.

That was a jolly old time on Holla Forums when that garbage was released.

Nothing, the issue with female protagonist tag is that it tags all sorts of games, making it a downright useless fucking tag.
It's like having an "Options Menu" tag or a "Difficulty Options" tag.

The Steam tags are heavily moderated mess. I don't know why you're trying to use them.

Why? It's something to call on when dumbasses try to argue there are no female characters in video games.

Coming from the point of view of someone who uses the store just to search for lesser known games, steam tags are about the only metric you can search shit for.
New releases has 0 quality control or filtering options besides "don't show me movies or dlc", filtering by steam reviews is a joke(partly because of shit like pic related, but also because if a game is rated overwhelmingly/very positively then chances are you've already heard about it or played it) and sorting by price means you've got a shitton of AAA trash filling up pages on one end and flash games that sell for cents in the other.
Tags should theoretically let you filter out the store until you find the stuff you like but then you have these ultra popular and equally useless tags like female protagonist or indie fucking that up, plus the fact that you can't filter out tags.

Because STEAM doesn't want tags that make games harder to buy. If the tags are designed to make people avoid games, then that's less money they'd make.

It's not even a greedy measure. Steam is a store. No store in their right mind is going to stock stuff and put up signs that say "this is crap, don't buy this." If Steam didn't want to sell it, they'd not put it on their store. Yes, they sell crap, but its their right to do so.

Not saying its a good thing, of course. It's stupid they lost any sense of decency.

"female protagonist" tag literally means that the game has a female protagonist. If Nintendo sold Super Metroid on Steam, would it be a shitty game because it has the "female protagonist" tag? It's not a political tag, its just factual. These are games. They have females in the lead roles. Woop de fucking doo.

It's a really old screenshot user

everything is political when Holla Forums gets involved

Well I agree with Lord Gabe for once. Steam is a store, can't put up posters in Walmart either.

I'm sure Budweiser wouldn't be happy if they let people paint "Pisswasser" over their products. Valve's priority is keeping the game publishers happy.

because developers can remove any tags that they dont like. thats why you dont find games getting tag bombed and it doesn't get that much drama as review bombing because its so tiny

As people have mentioned, it did have that capability when it came out, but that was the same time that Rome 2 Total War came out and of course everyone tagged that it was a shit game which didn't make a AAA studio happy.

But it does? You can also just filter out early access entirely so that you never see it in the store.

There's a difference between the 10% of Early Access titles that are what open betas used to be and there actually IS a fucking game coming and the common current model of saying "it's done when it's done" and then never fucking finishing it

fuck, i wish i could afford a gaming pc.

My problem with the "Female Protagonist" tag is that it covers far too much ground, and it's a completely useless metric to determine a game's worth that gets lumped in with more useful tags like "RTS" or "Metroidvania". If I liked the way Hollow Knight plays then sure, recommend Guacamelee to me, but how does having a girl character determine if I like it?
"You play a lot of Shantae and Arcana Heart, huh? Here's a game we bet you'll love, it's called Life Is Strange."

I also wanna bitch about the VR category, because it's something that Steam has some kind of problem with separating from other games, when it should have no problem at all separating them.
You've got three types of games: games that are VR only, games that aren't, and games that have optional VR (Resident Evil 7, Rez Infinite, Thumper). I don't have the money or the space to have a VR setup, so I don't want to see VR only games, but maybe I do want to see games with an optional mode that I'll never use. But no, it's all or nothing when it comes to VR.

Actually, it's not even all or nothing. It's all or all. There's no option to just take the VR out of the game list. I tried putting it in the Exclude list in my discovery queue, and it still shows up.

Because fuck you goy

The sort of marxist that would use the fem prot tag is exactly the sort of person shallow enough to play games entirely for the gender of their characters. Might also explain why there's so much whining about anime, neptunia and Senran as those sorts of games would pop up a lot if you search for "female game protagonist".