Halo Custom Edition Gamenight: Possible netcode fix edition

Because fuck it I think I found a fix for the people bitching people being bad at hitting things and I was going to do one this week anyways

WHAT IS HALO CUSTOM EDITION?
HCE (Not to be confused with the PC version of Combat evolved, which is typically called HPC) is a stand alone version of Halo PC that supports custom content. Released by Gearbox, HCE boasts not only custom multiplayer content but singleplayer.

NOTICE
If you have issues with mega grab this tool. This also bypasses the need to install their shitty plugin.
megatools.megous.com/
>Type "megadl "

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD
Mega : mega.nz/#!8qJkjYAI!0buYiy2ty6aOITzrbeatMTIyWgEJnoXEsEJ5d2ejSAM
The megalink is a repack of what I run on the server, it's larger than the torrent due to having all the maps you'll need for the gamenight hopefully which cuts down on time downloading to join

Torrent :thepiratebay.se/torrent/10173195/Halo_CE_[Custom_Edition]_1.10_Patched
Contains just HCE 1.10 and HAC2.

DDL SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
To reduce filesize I compressed the maps folder before packaging everything in the easy to digest 5 gig download. Before running HCE make sure you extract the maps.7z folder. just right click the archive and hit "extract here" as it's already in a maps folder and running "extract to 'maps'" would create a maps within a maps folder and Halo will obviously fail to run.

=THINGS TO LOOK AT BEFORE LAUNCHING THE GAME=
halo.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=33034400&postRepeater1-p=1#33062868

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=27326
(The redist folder is in an odd place on the pre-packed DDL, look in the maps folder)

hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=319
(You will need this for some commands)

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50211
Follow the install guide in the thread here.

opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6916-chimera-build-49/
(Chimera is pre-packed in the ddl already, refer to this post for commands to throw into console)

Optic is a addon for clients that allows you to use the announcer and medals from H3, Reach or H4 (but let's be honest H4 is shit). Optic itself is already part of HAC2. the medals must be installed.

H3 Medals/Announcer: mega.nz/#!5rp0CRgb!UpA0tk29XfpnLi8liH5e2v5G4qcR0jfcTzvM4jEMroA
Reach Medals/Announcer: mega.nz/#!ZnZC2RIa!55wQHhSwp0awGRjUiR1LM_lu_Wt17c7MmfYzyJPsk0k

installing optic packs
DO NOT EXTRACT THE CONTENTS LEAVE IT IN IT'S ARCHIVED FILE
Final path should look like: My Documents>My Games>HaloCE>HAC>pack
>Type "Optic_load " with the filename being as it is on the archived file
(Example: Optic_load Haloreach)

SETTING FOV
When in game hit F6 and adjust by moving your mouse. Hit F6 again to set it
OR
Open console and type "fov #", with # being the desired FoV

HELP THE CHAT KEEPS BLINKING IN AND OUT OF EXISTENCE!
HaloPC and Halo Custom Edition both have a rudimentary chat functionality stapled onto them. Fret not as there are two options here.

Download a chatbox mod, follow it's enclosed install instructions
hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?search=chat box&B1=Search

Open console and type "Custom_chat 1". This chat is styled after the text seen in Halo Reach and is a bit better. This option is also the best option if you don't want to download too much shit.

HOW AND WHEN TO CONNECT
Go to multiplayer and join via direct connect.

IP : 24.62.196.122
PW : rage
SERVER WILL GO UP SATURDAY AT 3PM EST
CAN THIS RUN ON LINUX?
Yes, but you either have to hunt down a wrapper or make one. Can't help you.

HELP I AM ON WINDOWS 10
SoL

=GAME IS SHIT I CAN'T HIT PEOPLE=
Thanks to a recent discover this can be fixed, simply type in chat the following
/clead
/lead 0

This should make it so you have to only lead shots as if you had 33ms latency.

hotpocket edit: added IP by request of the OP

Other urls found in this thread:

198.98.120.174/
halo-fixes.findforum.net/t21-version-changer
198.98.120.174/commands.html
blog.haloanticheat.com/_p=218/
pastebin.com/RtfeeeZi
hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=413
forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48521
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

IP will be 24.62.196.122 when the server goes live

bump

Good luck, user. What's the map rotation going to be?

mix of custom and stock maps on various gametypes. since the server runs SAPP there's ways to vote for the next map at match end and a way to skip undesirable maps

hope there's some maps with custom weapons and/or vehicles

of course. Like I said it's a mix of both.

What's the netcode problem anyway?

can we have version we don't have to mod 5 different ways before playing?

Wrapper? do you mean just configure wine to run it or does it need some other wrapper on top of wine?

this

Seems like a lot of steps to play a game that might shit itself during online play.

HCE's netcode was, through MS mandate, made to be 56k dialup modem friendly. Because of this you have to aim slightly ahead of the enemy, so instead of a red reticule it's going to be white as if you're aiming at nothing.

People get upset because they can't aim

Wow, M$ fucking up again.

DDL comes pre-packed with everything. These addons are optional anyways as are the fixes, you just kinda forfeit the right to bitch if you don't take the time to implement the fixes yourself if you went and grabbed the torrent

ah ok cool, and the netcode thing doesn't sound so bad as long as we're aware of it.

I'll try getting it running on linux

It'll run on linux early HCE a lot of effort from the community was put into getting it running. some people even managed to get the dedi exe running in wine

yeah, the 30fps fix is because Halo 1's animations are locked to 30fps for technical reasons, mainly scripts need the tickrate to fire properly. Chimera fixes this through some slight of hand interpolation as well as some other neat QoL.

Optic itself is entirely optional. the list there is just for people to add things that will improve their experience, like the EAX sound

Any idea why I get a fov cannot be executed in the console when trying to change fov?

- Running on linux with console and chat working
- Chimera commands work
- F6 doesn't work to change fov
- EAX won't work but no big deal
- won't know if /clead /lead 0 will work until play time
- runs smoothly
- on startup get an error "Unable to load HAC! Error code: 317" twice but can be cleared and game starts
- on resolution change get the error "" but can be cleared and resolution change works

used the torrent or DDL?

198.98.120.174/

This is the current site of HAC2.

It's server side hit detection. The more latency an opponent has the farther you have to lead him. It's truly awful and can be exploited to make yourself near invincible.

>>>/normalfag/

not with the server plugin I'm running so it should be fine now

I used the ddl

weird and you're on wine might be an issue with the wrapper, try downloading that HAC2 and I'll look on my end

wine fix for hac2

halo-fixes.findforum.net/t21-version-changer
POSSIBLY

tried it, same issue.

to clarify, what are you calling the wrapper? I'm literally just using wine(64bit)

Some more info:
It's asking for user name and password, when I turn on autocheat, it takes a minute or two to bring up a login menu but I leave them blank. Should I be leaving it blank?

If I chose to leave autocheat off, I don't get the hac login but it still throws the error

oh say no to starting with anti-cheat

that login is a left over from a dead end part of the project that was meant to stat track

The game still works with the error, it doesn't crash out, but I think it might be why I can't change fov?
I've been trying it without the anti-cheat aswell.

I don't get it, how does changing version help?

198.98.120.174/commands.html
check to see if the commands work, might be a issue with hac2 not liking wine

blog.haloanticheat.com/_p=218/
look in the comments seems they had a fix and it pertains to a dll

looks like the fix should be using msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll from winxp install.

It's late here, might download and spinup an xp image tomorrow grab those files and try it. There was a download like but it was dead.

yeah saw the dl too and thought there might be hope there for ya.

sorry man but server goes up tomorrow

no worries, I might get it before then

Alright, I'm going over the mapvote list to make sure there are no duplicates and what I mean by that is that there are no same map same gametype in the rotation.

I've tried my best to make it a mix of every gamemode and variants of them. Team Race might upset some people, but it's 10 laps COMBINED, meaning your team has to make 10 laps in total so if player 1 and 3 have 4 laps each player 7 only needs 2

8/v/ in a nutshell

Skyrim is only a masterpiece of how not to make an adventure game

Crossposters get out

>>>/cuckchan/

Retardation out of the way from you guys, I'm fairly confident the server is ready for tomorrow. Now I just hope people will show up

I have alot to do tomorrow and work early the next day but I might be able to swing for a few hours

Really don't want to just play that fucking Samus map all day again

I reduced it in the rotation, though there are 2 metroid maps, maridia and tallon IV but I skimmed them down to 2 modes each

pastebin.com/RtfeeeZi

Here's what I got, while the list is staggering, bear in mind some maps are repeated with a different gametype because that's how the map vote system works.

Rpgbeta 6_2 or Sanctuary_Final in there?

why would they be in there

Can you play this with windows 10?

Dunno, try and get back to me

I'll download it while I sleep, I'll try tomorrow.

Should work, I've never heard of any issues.

at any rate still combing over the map list. I keep seeing people use the term meme map, but it's done so loosely I'm having trouble distinguishing because to me meme map means the map revolves around a gimmick worked into the central gameplay. But from time to time I've seen it used to define even maps that are just bog standard, just not "official" maps

Wow great ddl faggot

you remembered to unzip the mapfolder right?

Disregard that, I suck cocks.

glad it was an easy fix then.

Why wouldn't they be?

Well you only posted the issue. I dunno what OS you're on, what you tried to do when launching the game. I kinda didn't expect someone to skip part of the set-up guide for this

wew, now the game won't get past the splash screen.

it keep crashing or just hanging? first time it takes some time to cache the maps, every time after will be faster

It's hanging

ok launch it and let it stay there for I'd say 5 minutes. HAC2 caches maps the first time and since there are so many it's gonna take a bit. Honestly I'm a bit thankful HAC2 does that because back in the day that wasn't a thing so if you wanted to really play you'd have to wait at the splash screen for a good 10 minutes because of the custom maps weighing you down

Now the menu's a white screen

Can you hear music? or any noises?

Yes.

yes to both? Try getting the game to run in a window

hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=413

Try this if the white screen still persists

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48521

also this is a thing ot look at. I've just been googling "Halo custom edition windows 10 white screen"

Still not working, even had to reinstall.

neither of those solutions worked?

No.

it's still a white screen even after forcing off AA?

Yes.

Grab the torrent version and try running that

Turns out I had to run it in compatibility mode to get it to werk.

well it's wworking now right? all that matters

Now for some reason Optic won't work.

go to "my documents" and look for "my games" from there you should see a folder named HaloCE, open that and look for a folder that says HAC.

Open HAC and create a colder named pack.

Download one of the medal packs but do not unzip it, instead just drop the archive into the pack foldetr

That's what I did. After I did that and typed "optic" in the console, then the error message appeared.

>>>/cuckchan/
Fucking gas yourself.

try renaming the folder to packs instead of pack

>tfw you will never be sticked because SWAT 4 is a superior game

final rotation is set, also for people who can't get optic to work don't worry it's just extra fluff, you don't really need it. It's just a nice touch

Is the server up?

2pm EST rolled back by one hour. I'm doing last minute tighten ups

All right, mine works. I'll be ready when the server launches.

alright, putting on last second fixes

SERVER IS LIVE

bump

fug

can't connect
y-you didn't kill the server, right?

feels bad man, just came back, are people playing right now?

yeah I think this is a message for me, gonna put HCE to bed like I said I would last time.

feels bad man, just came back, are people playing right now?

Yeah I think HCE is done, I honestly wish I could go back to when the servers were just a variety of custom maps and stock but it's not the case anymore. HCE is dead, was fun when it was around

well, thanks for hosting in the past and doing all the prep for it this time. I think it's just not an ideal weekend for it since swat got a sticky and there are some other things being played as well.

Thanks, but again I don't think HCE will come back anytime soon from me at least. The interest doesn't seem to be all there. I find it funny though that I looked in the H:O thread and they complained about meme maps when the last time they did a gamenight it was just infection which is honestly boring. That shit burned me out in H3 back in the day because all anyone ever played wanted to play was fatkid or infection and nothing interesting on actual gamemodes

But whatever it was fun the times HCE did happen

Hope we'll see you when 0.6 launches Zgok :^)

nah H:O is boring it lacks any type of content to keep it going over long periods of time.

Having a large variety of custom gamemodes to keep the game fresh is the key to having a lot of stuff to do in H:O. IMO Halo 3 Custom Games are one of the best if not the best example of how to keep multiplayer alive, since even after nearly 5000 games or so of Halo 3 I was still playing it strong until the day the community died. H:O gets stale when all you play is low effort Holla Forums shit like Kill the Cuck when you have way better gamemodes like Skytrain and Jaws or Trashman among others.

Except that's boring. One of the reasons I even still bother with HCE is because I love whats been created with it. UIt's not just "custom gamemodes" it's custom maps, maps that weren't made with a stripped down version of sapien, which is what forge is. It's a stripped down version of the map population tool which Bungie used for Halo and what HCE users used to populate their maps with netgame equip, vehicles, objects like trees. Shit you can't even place trees and rocks in forge.

That's the thing it's your opinion, you should have been there when HCE was at it's peak. Even with the lack of options Combat evolved has for editing gametypes people made editors to do what couldn't be done in game and took it further with things like SAPP which allowed shit like multi-team vehicles. A feature that later games had but people took for granted. People claim "well H5 forge is good!", still can't make custom vehicles and wepaons and port them into the game, can't make maps where you play as a marine and fight against a covenant onslaught, being able to dodge roll out of harms way.

HCE is honestly a far more interesting beast than H:O can ever hope to be. Until I see tools to author maps for H:O and I mean actual maps, forge is a map EDITOR, not a tool to create maps. You're confined to what objects are part of the map's object palette, the "budget" (unless you want to cheat through glitches and even then if you fuck up you have to restart the glitch). Meme gamemodes only go so far, there's only so many times you can play "casual" gamemodes before it gets boring as shit. Kinda sucks I found the fix for lead too late though because it coulda probably gone a lot better.

Sorry mang.

torrent is safe as it's what I use to hsot my server to allow it to admit cracked hosts. the ddl is basically my server just archived minus the setting files since HAS and SAPP save their config files to the "My Documents" folder

Actually to go further back, the torrent is slapped together by a fucking ancient group from HCE named POQ and one of the oldest dudes I know from it, technut packaged the 1.10 stand alone with HAC2 so I can 100% say it's safe