Class Based Shooters

Not the usual TF2/OW/LB kind, more like Battlefront Classic kind, let's assume there is a WWII shooter in the making or if you like, a modern shooter but heavily class based.

I need to research while I learn to use UE4 more and more, these kind of questions are completely ignored at /agdg/ I want to know from you, the ones that just want to play a game.

Look at Battlefield 2 if you want a model of how many classes to have in a military type of team-based shooter, although it wasn't exactly perfect either. The only issues I can think of off the top of my head is that the medic class was too well armed, carrying the same rifle as an assault class, minus the grenade launcher, which made it an easy choice for a deathmatching lonewolf type player since they could heal themselves on the fly and be far more independent from need support from other classes.

One major problem with the more modern battlefield games and FPS that feature classes in general is the push to remove as many classes as possible and just stick multiple roles in one. This usually create a problem of making one class a do-everything powerhouse that is ridiculously more valuable in almost every situation and defeating the point of having classes at all.

As much as you can as long as each of them will have a reason to exist.
Look at TF2 as perfect example. It only has 9 but all of them has very distinct play styles. You can play Pyro for hundreds of hours but still be shit as a Sniper.
Problem is you cannot really divide classes like they did in TF2. To do that TF2 got rid of rifles as main weapons to give each class something more interesting. Jesus christ I hate OW for not doing this.
So what I would do is change it drastically. Don't do classes Find a way to not have classes and allow everyone to use any weapon. Instead of having "recon" and "assault" give each person support kit. Either med pack, ammo or some repair kit. Balance weapons in a way each of them are better or worse at certain things. Maybe soft block machine guns with you only having one mag and needing ammo kit.
About bots, 32vs32 and maps. Just fucking made it into Planetside, maybe add bots to balance teams and just have more cannon folder on the battlefield.

What are some actual class based shooters?
I want a working class against the privileged class type of shooter.
Wouldn't it be great to spread communism via FPS games?

Star Wars Battlefront classics.

If you're looking for objective answers here you should at least have a base idea of what you want your game to be like, because without that there really aren't any wrong answers to your questions.

Unless you're going for realism and are trying to accurately replicate the infantry doctrines of armies, you shouldn't need more than six. Just try to avoid redundancy like said.

There really isn't a magic combination for this, and what may have worked for other games may not work for yours.
Well, do you want vehicles or not? If you do choose to have them, you're going to want an engineer and/or an anti-armour class, perhaps even a combination of both like in Modern BF titles.
I assume you mean NPC's that populate the map like in Star Wars: Battlefront or Titanfall. Go with 32v32 and allow for genuine bots, not NPCs.
medium if infantry-only, large if there's vehicles. Small maps should not be in military FPS's.
whatever suits your game, though sprinting becomes more desirable the larger the scale of your game is.
if you're going to have right click do anything related to vision, you might as well have sights.
Either strictly FPS or interchangeable. TPS is kinda ass.

The four classes in modern Battlefield do have distinct roles, they just dont reflect genuine military doctrine all that much.
The main offensive force of your team, wielding jack-of-all-trade assault rifles and medical equipment to keep your allies in the fight.
For vehicle-oriented players, capable of keeping your tanks running and the enemy's tanks out of commission.
What it says on the tin. Supports other players by keeping them stocked with ammo and laying down suppressive fire. Also the designated trolling class.
In charge of acquiring intel and placing down spawn beacons, giving your team the tactical advantage whenever he isnt getting footage for his frag movie.

They work, they just dont really give you a traditional military experience.

gmod communism rp

Interesting concepts, in any case I liked how Battlefront II was laid out in general, the only downside was the scale oft the vehicles sometimes, other than that I was thinking of a "weight" system that would strictly allow to carry combinations as to imitate traditional classes with some room for customization.

Class based shooters are unbalanced as fuck. They should let you use whatever gun you want and give you just one class skill, that way there could be way more variation and not some class xompletely dominating another.

They get fucked up because everyone forgets about asymmetrical gameplay as more spergs get involved. There has to be variations of challenges that require specialized roles to accomplish. Battlefield 1942 did it really well because most classes could do what others did but at a reduced capacity. A class based system needs variation in gameplay to work correctly. If it's just a FPS without any base, strategic, or vehicle elements there is just no point.

If we're talking about, Battlefield, classes should be
All heavy explosives used by them
Give them the shit needing to gather information to the team. You could even give these guys the sole ability to spot enemies (Unlike in BF, where anyone can spot). They are not necessarily snipers, they should have plenty of other weapons.
Health and Ammo supply should be one class, and their weapons should be shit. The class should be designed around suporting teammates, and having to shoot enemies should be a "oh FUCK" moment.
No weapon limitations, can have two primary weapons unlike other classes, but no special shit otherwise

Each class should have a "weapon type" generally associated with them, like Recons having Sniper Rifles, Engineers having PDWs, but each class should have access to shittier versions of other class weapons.
For Battlefield, must have, but vehicles should never be considered a "must have." Plenty of games ruin otherwise great ground combat by throwing in vehicles that don't fit the game.
If you're doing Battlefield, I'd say definitely add AI. Those kind of games are all about "Fake scale" where it makes you feel like a real war, even though it's only 60 nerds at their computer. AI driven planes/tanks/squads would make the game more fun I think, but you'd need to find a nice balance between having AI that's deadly enough that you can't ignore them, while making them not fuck you over the moment you turned your back on them to shoot at a player.
Depends on vehicles and server size, but map DESIGN is more important than the actual size of it. If you've played Fao Fortress on BF1, you know that Snipers are cancerous on that map, but it's not because it's big; it's because the map is designed so a sniper can shoot you from literally anywhere on the map.
I'm sorry, is this a question?
Now you're getting entirely into the real of, "That depends on what the fuck you're doing." I will point out that PUBG does one good thing with this, where you can zoom or ADS. If you have an SMG at close range, zooming is better than ADS. But if you have a rifle, ADS is basically always better, even at point blank.
Once again depends entirely on the specifics of your game.

Probably better do do one primary weapon, and increased amount of frags or an underbarrel shotgun or grenade launcher. Specifically anti-infantry explosives, no C4 or rocket launchers.

Also known as "Assault" in other games, this is the backbone of a squad.

Heavy weapons guy.

Or marksman, specializes in long range single target elimination.

Specializes in blowing shit up with C4 or claymores.

Oh, and I completely forgot, that "All Kits" player model isn't actually for all kits. That's the Russian medic model.

I really hate the fad that they wanted to speed up gameplay and time to kill in bottlefield, it feels like its trying really hard to become call of duty or something.
I wish you could setup your bipod on basicly everything and do it fast too while having your character lower / raise himself depending on you aiming high or low so you wont expose yourself too much, then just slap on some really good supression mechnanics and actually incentivise supression so thered be a point to it.
As to what that would be I'd say if you get max supression you should get pinned down or at the very least force you to go prone and move really slow, ADS should be disabled and / or huge swaying added so firing back would be harder but still made sense rather than just increasing spread which is much harder to estimate.

After doing that just make his weapons have god awful recoil if you're not firing while crouching / prone / supporting your weapon on a surface.
I really wish support was all about positioning, and not just about trying to ambush the enemy to offset your shitty weapon spread / recoil.

I r8 8/8 b8 m8.

Makes me sad

Battlefield 3 had a great suppression system, as in, your screen would blur, and your accuracy would go down, and recoil up, and it was greatly incentivized, because you'd get 50 points for a suppression assist, which is half a kill. Normalfags didn't like it because they couldn't one man army through an entire team as the assault class if they were taking return fire, which, you still absolutely could do, you just had to actually be good at the game.

Another interesting suppression mechanic is in Red Orchestra 2, where your character's aim will flinch if a bullet cracks by you, or lands close, which made suppressing fire from multiple bolt action rifles actually decent.

Rifleman/Assault is the class that carries grenades or have an underslung grenade launcher.

bump

kinda wish that there was a team based turians vs sangheili third person shooter

Bf2142 is good n simple