Why don't we see third person shooters like these anymore? All we get nowadays are over the shoulder crap

Why don't we see third person shooters like these anymore? All we get nowadays are over the shoulder crap.

Blame muh immersion and muh realism fags.

The Wii should have been a powerhouse for this genre but instead we got a port, a cabal shooter, and an abomination to Metroid.

In Beth Fallout games, it's over the shoulder because it's easier to pick up items that way. It was impossible to pick up anything with 3rd person view in Morrowind.

Okay, at least two cabal shooters. And admittedly it's a fantastic genre.

But the Wii was the perfect console to elevate free-roam third-person shooters to new heights and it was fucking wasted. Imagine a platforming shooter with the speed and finesse of Super Mario 64 because you don't have to sacrifice a significant portion of the controls to aiming. This is what Other M should have been but it was made by cancerous hacks.

Cover based shooters, if you're behind cover the camera will usually centre but if you're peeking around the side its easier to see shit.

Sticky over head cam > sticky shoulder cam > that awful "cam lazily follows your character" cam. The camera should stick to the orientation of the player character.
Moving my mouse left should turn my model to the left so I can hit something standing to the left of my character. How am I meant to hit something standing to my left IF I CAN'T TURN MY CHARACTER TO THE LEFT
DID NO ONE THINK THIS THROUGH

Well, there's NuRatchet and Clank

Splatoon and Splatoon 2 you fucking faggot.

Alice controlled like garbage user

The reason over the shoulder is popular is because it focuses your vision and maximizes it. Now you're more focused on what you're aiming at and not what's behind the main character.

gta

It's far easier to aim with an over the shoulder view but I think it looks better to have the character centered in the middle.

MGS4 did it the best, you sneak with your character in the middle of the screen but switch to an over the shoulder view when you aim.

Kojimer basically stole it from Splinter Cell.

these guys

You know the problem you faggots are describing was solved with one of the earliest free-roam third-person shooters.

thank RE4 for that shitty camera in third person games. ruined everything

maybe Alice controlled like garbage because you fucking suck at games like it. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If only it ran at higher than 10FPS

GET EM OUT OUT OUT!

I miss having full house Giants matches at my local netcafe.

Don't you just want to smash their stupid little faces?

That's what the XBone port is for, fluid 60fps

Say what you will about Madness Returns it at least made platforming feel better than the original

UH I DUNNO, THIRD PERSON SHOOTER?

Me.
I made them disappear.
It was all because of me.

How the fuck is Alice a third person shooter?

JFG is amazing.

Anyone else feel the same? I can never get enough of the water effects.

What are you, twelve? It played fine.

Trips for truth of a universal constant's magnitude.

It's even more impressive when you realize how by the seat of their pants they were flying. Look up the Rare Replay interviews. They're on YouTube.

They talk about how they had to make a prototype just to see if it was fun to play a 3rd person game running down tunnels and shooting ants, because it wasn't really done like that before. They more or less invented the formula the likes of Mass Effect would eventually take credit for.

Yeah I watched that video, it's really cool that they were influenced by Gatchaman (Juno's helmet). And also that they implemented Space Invaders/Galaga type of enemy formations and patterns.

I think games like Mass Effect, or Gears of Wars, are more similar to Winback, another N64 game from Koei that did the whole cover shooter thing and many consider it to be the first of its kind, and I kind of agree, I mean, JFG is not like modern TPS games either, it has more freedom, platforming elements, and way, way crazier.

Having to collect every single tribal; which requires going through most levels 3 times minimum, just to be allowed to fight the last boss was bullshit. Amazing game aside from that. However, that bullshit then seeing Metroid Prime 2 and then Windwaker have the same last minute game-wide fetch quest were the catalyst that stopped me buying consoles.

If we're bitching about cameras the worst offender is 'object between screen and player character obscuring view'. This should never happen, the camera should not be a physical object that hits walls and other nonsense.

The same could be said of so many types of games. Third party companies were intentionally making garbage for the Wii and it sucks that the whole thing was pretty much sabotaged along with interest in actually good motion/pointer controls.

Yeah it's a common complaint. Honestly I feel saving the tribals was nice, because it was a challenge. Many times they were hidden in bullshit parts, but also a lot of the times they were in the middle of the battlefield, so you had to be careful and quick enough to finish off the enemies and rescue all the tribals alive. I didn't mind that, that was okay.
Now, finding the missing ship parts was more tedious because it's just looking for hidden shit, often in bullshit places.