How exactly did this game get any amount of praise or recognition...

How exactly did this game get any amount of praise or recognition? I've seen it mentioned here on multiple occasions and having actually played it can't find anything that makes it worthwhile.

The game was outright stated to have gone for an interesting film noir setting for the main character, wandering around a rainswept city alone looking for clues. What sounds good in theory ends up being terribly executed; the city itself is immensely samey and offers no rewards for exploring since there's nothing to do or look at, besides get into piecemeal firefights that are actually best avoided. There's a single data trail to follow for a civilian subplot, but I didn't find the story too interesting and it rewards you with weapon caches you don't need since combat is so sporadic. Dumber still is how the "detective" aspect is worked in: the Rookie literally picks up random bits of discarded gear that generates flashbacks to events that he couldn't have possible known about or deduced, before moving on. It's like the idea was to have him slowly piece together where the rest of his team ended up, but comes across as a lost soldier wandering about aimlessly until he stumbles across the main objective by accident.

Even if a strange FPS noir feel was actually achieved, this would've been destroyed by the godawful flashback laced plot with some of the worst dialogue I've ever sat through. The entire story is a cartoon, from the battles, to the one-liners, and even to the strangely exaggerated animations. It comes across like a Halo fanfic written by 10 year olds, which is incredibly jarring considering how straight the city wander sections are played. People here specifically have mentioned that they enjoyed the game's characters. How the hell can you when they're all pieces of cardboard with five lines of action movie cheese each? Literally the only individual I found interesting was the nuggy little engineer Vergil, which says something about the cast because he doesn't even speak.

One could argue that none of this matters since Halo's story is mediocre anyway, but it's pretty much the only thing to look at because the gameplay is boring as shit. Combat offers even less interest compared to Halo 3 since there are actually fewer enemy types, although they might not have been able to show everything off anyway considering how short the campaign was. The city wandering with Rookie and an interactive map felt like wasted potential since the place is so empty, while the more actiony flashbacks are confined to really linear arenas like other Halo games.

I will admit that part of me was expecting something like Medal of Honor: Airborne, with multiple planetfalls and less attempts at quiet exploration, but even holding the barest of expectations doesn't fix this total waste of a game. It's filler, a half-assed idea rushed to completion to fill the gap between Halo 3 and Reach. Why does anyone give a shit about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LVsn4BjK6Jk
forwarduntodawn.com/nine-levels-underground/
thequestfactory.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In terms of gameplay the only good thing to come out of it was Forge and Custom Games.

I fully understand how that logic stands with the Halo series in general, but it doesn't explain why this game gets brought up as something better when it's worse than the main titles.

You have bad taste.

Care to elaborate on any actual points?

Not really, no.

Did you play the flashbacks out of order or something? And even so, the gameplay in the flashbacks are on point

Postan

Also reminder that the game was DLC that was moved to standalone so Bungie could fuck out of their contract to M$

The novelty of playing as a much more vulnerable human soldier fighting the Covenant can't be exaggerated.

And I do love Vergil. I love how an innocent unattended Engineer literally just happened to curiously explore the city until he accidentally literally assimilates the AI and becomes an invaluable asset everyone is chasing after because of the sheer enemy intel from both sides.

It was also really satisfying to find out he gave no fucks about turning on them after literally uncaringly strapping bombs on and sending his race off on suicide missions just to make progress. It was a simple, but effective way to show how shitty and crazy the Covenant really was, which was why it eventually imploded and sparked a fucking civil war in the middle of the one they were already fighting against humanity. And it showed a likable and sympathetic side to the other intelligent life out there forced to give their lives in the name of "glory" and "honor".

Huragok might as well be a race of legitimate justfied dindu nuffins. The fact they're actually cute, intelligent and seem so peaceful and victimized in contrast to absolutely everything else can't be a coincidence.

Not that they haven't helped fix up ships and guns used to massacre innocent people just because they autistically love tinkering with shit, but still.

did you play it with friends

Any more Reach shitpost images, please?

Bungie Halo lore is alrightminus the retcons M$ whored out Bungie to do

How did Gaylo even get a sequel and become some console seller franchise?
That shit was so fucking bad

Pretty much this which sadly you will never see a proper game of.

The setting was also pretty nice. It wasn't like in the previous Halo's where you were a superhuman killing machine on some grand mission to destroy some big ring you're on and fight through unfun Library slogs. You were just one of the more elite human forces and you've been out for 8 hours after almost everyone else has fucked off. It's got some good scenery going on for a Micro$hit game and the music really helped it.

firefight

Funny how it's never Bungo's fault…

Stop posting this SFM mockup. It hurts me on an emotional level

Combat Evolved was a solid game with a simple humans vs evil asshole aliens plot that had a twist, satisfying and diverse weapons like plasma grenades you could also hilariously set off a suicidal room killing chain reaction with and reloading sounds for the 2 you used the most the entire game.

It's not something you're inclined to replay, but it's enjoyable while it lasts. Don't know what the fuck you remember that makes you think it's bad.

I thought it was an interesting idea to have a Halo game that would tell a more human story and having to find out what happened to your squad by looking for clues around the city. However, I think the designers or publisher of ODST didn't want to commit to such a radical departure from the Halo formula so we got a weird bastardization. It has it's moments though and it at least did better than Halo: Reach in building interesting and memorable characters, even if they were a little cliche.

Regardless, I don't even know why you felt compelled to make a thread complaining about an eight year old game that critics and fan both tend to agree is the weakest of the franchise. Did you just get a 360 or something?

I do want to believe you were looking for legitimate discussion here, but It's more likely that you just wanted an easy target.

It's meant to be played on the highest difficulty, that's when it comes alive.

What? Firefight is nothing like Myth in any way, shape or form.

Well, it is in some sense, the heads of the studio didn't accept the Microsoft deal until everyone there agreed to the deal, so it is essentially their fault. As well as that the Myth successor was just an early iteration, it changed to being a third-person action game after that, and would likely have been one if not for the deal. It doesn't change the fact that before they got stuck pumping out Halo they made two solid series and then Oni which was flawed but fun. If they had been given more creative control or were released from their shackles after Halo 2 we could have gotten some great games out of them.

The player isn't a more vulnerable human soldier. You are a reskinned master chief

You were a super human killing machine just with a different look

Bare in mind in lore and in the games themselves. Humans are basically inferior to the covenant forces in every way. Like the average Elite is worth 10 normalfags. The Master Chief is like Hercules in comparison to the average ODST. It's strange then that the actual gameplay to ODST is identical to Halo 3 and you end up just nonstop killing brutes and other Covenant like they're candy.

This dissonance between the game attempting to tell you that you are weak and expendable and yet the plot has a hoo rah atmosphere during much of the flashbacks and during the ending, and the actual gameplay involves killing hundreds of covenant is jarring. It feels like half of the dev team wanted to do one thing wheras the other wanted to do something else.
Most critics and fans agree either 4/5 are the weakest not ODST. ODST still has a ton of fans for some reason

Even in terms of singleplayer I'd still argue 2 is worse.

Because it was a fun couch-multiplayer-game you could play with your friends. Back when LAN-parties was too much of a hassle to set up and the internet was slow and cost too much to waste on vidya.

I miss the days when you played video games with friends. Now everything is over the internet and shit, it's not the same.

I have a question for Halofags. Embed related is Arbiter's theme from Killer Instinct, is that theme like remixed version or something like that from an original Halo music or something made for KI specially?

Sounds like something made just for KI.

I hate 343

Wait that shit is real? I thought it was a joke pic like "what if halo was CoD"

Yeah those are sadly real weapon attachments in Halo fuckin 5. The game that not only killed the story but the aesthetic appeal of the series.

Most of the halo audience wouldn't have been the lan party type anyway. It did let me get along with fratfags though.

Please someone should just kill this series, Microsoft keeps trying to resurrect it

Really? Setting up projectors and Xboxes to play giant games of Halo was the shit when I was in high school.

I never realized I wanted a game so bad only after one picture.
Just imagine squad base shooter where you must heavily rely on each other and going solo rambo is a guaranteed death.
No power ups
No skills
No regenerating shields.
Just your guns, your vehicles, and a medic with a perma death if you don't get healed after 20 seconds.

As much as I'd like it, pic related in that vein of game would probably be game-breaking

maybe re-work the convenant weapons a bit since it seems the game that'll never be made will be in 3rd person.
getting behind cover will allow you to avoid the needles if you are lucky.
running and gunning while that is in the field will be a danger, same as snipers as well

There's weapon caches to find that contain Mongoose and power weapons so you can rip around the city using staircases as ramps and firing rockets at the enemies that normally harass you. Also pieces of audio and video lore to find/unlock, which is actually interesting because Bungie's writers used to be good.

bait/10.

keep in mind, if you have not played the game that is, that the projectiles hone in and follow targets slightly. So it'd have to be a broad corner for cover and not something super sharp

But the ODST are canonically the most hardcore soldiers legendary for the sheer insanity in their deployment and what missions they were expected to come back alive from. Normal men and women who were trained and pushed to the limit without any mutations whatsoever and trained to suicidally drop into a planet's atmosphere just to successfully infiltrate a battlefield with as little risk as possible to forces and entire ships. If you read the novels that were given blessing by Bungie, there's been a good amount of times the ODST alone were able to at least hold off or even fully force the Covenant to retreat from the firefight. Which means they're not nearly as fragile as the Marines and I swear I've even seen a difference in health and AI.

And I just like Vergil as a character for betraying the Covenant for his race and is capable of understanding humanity all while look innocent and adorable as fuck by literally never saying anything.

Also, the ODST unlike Spartans actually don't recharge health if I remember correctly. If they do, it's like Call of Duty where a couple more shots hit you back down to near death and you rely on health packs in between taking cover and putting that silenced SMG and whatever's lying around to good use.

WRONG

That's impend from H2 or a remix, listen to the beat
youtube.com/watch?v=LVsn4BjK6Jk

I don't get it.

I hate that shit so much it's made the very amount of a 4 between 2 3s to become stigmatized to me.

Absolute shit taste. Also, reminder that ODST is one giant allegory for dante's inferno, one of the few good sites that do narrative/symbolic analysis of the halo games/books did a 17 page article on it: forwarduntodawn.com/nine-levels-underground/

I can get it being dissapointing that you just play like a slighter weaker SPARTAN rather then an actual vulnerable human but it was moody and atmospheric as fuck, had the best soundtrack in the series and in the entire industry, and as far as the plot/writing goes even if it's not fantastic it's better then any other entry in the series other then 2.

Pretty much every 343 era book since 2015 has actually been great, it's just that when it comes to advacing the state of the universe foward in the big picture or making game plots 343 has no idea what they are doing.

Halo 5 actually has great MP and outright the best forge/customs in the series, the single player is just trash in comparsion to the rest of the series.

The mode where that stuff shows up in is pretty fun (warzone, it's like a bigger more fleshed out version of invasion from reach) but I agree that weapon attachments in it get stupid.

That neat looking screenshot is made in SFM, it's not from the game.

You are a faggot with shit taste. I am sorry.

The promethean variant of the AR is pretty good though.

It's the most unique game in the series, and people will go to extreme lengths to hold up the most unique game in a series as the best, even when their clearly not. Majora's Mask autists are another good example of this.

The characters in the game are almost exactly like what Master Chief was in the first game.

Promethean weapons were the only thing I enjoyed about "4". Everything was so fucking lifeless and took itself too seriously.

Daily reminder Rookie is dead, Buck is now part of the hated Halo 5 Diversity Spartan Squad, Cortana got revived because of Kiki Wolfkill, and Halo Movie Soon

Because the main characters were so poorly written you'd think fucking King Cuck Josh Weadon wrote them. Romeo felt like he dropped right out of Buffy the Vampire slayer and the Guy who was supposed to be the Christling was equally cringey…"no more flying lord….AMEN!"
Equally no one ever talks about the price tag which was full fucking price for what amounted to a DLC addon. Cheekily Bungie released maps for multiplayer which you had to buy one at a time as they came out or be left in the dust in multiplayer. However knowing that Halo ODST needed justifcation for its unreasonable full price they included all of the maps you at that point had already bought except ONE new one, so easentailly they justifed its price point by making you buy the same maps TWICE on a second disc. Lack of a multiplayer specific to ODST beyond the meh Firefight im also sure did not help.
Audiologs were HILLARIOUSLY BAD. I dont think ive ever laughed so fucking hard at BIG KABOB MAN lifting cars. Straight outa tails gets trolled or some shit.
Finallly, i think the one crime no one could forgive was Female Recon lady looked like she'd applied her makeup with a brick and was clearly some fucked up Android Gero abandoned in horror & repentance of what he created in preference of oriental fat laser clowns.

Bungie loves to masturbate furiously to Firefly, it's why Nathan Fillion is in Halo 5 and Destiny with no problems with the cucks, he still plays the same fucking character.

Except it's got a better single player campaign then Halo 3, as well as Halo 3's entire MP suite + DLC maps as well as firefight.

Assuming you hadn't already bought Halo 3, ODST is actually a better value proposition then H3 itself.

I agree user but when I was playing through this I was just rushing it rather than actually indulging so I definitely missed some stuff though the firefights were fun

343 Halos are good
disregarded

Halo 5's MP IS good, especially it's forge (webms related) if you actually tried it you'd know that

343 is still shit because for every good thing they do they do something else wrong, and 50% is still a failing grade, but they still do do some things right

I really feel like the only reason you like ODST is due to the atmosphere and graphics.

The actual story to the game is generic trash and the gameplay is just recycled from the previous game.

I mean sure 1-2 designers on the game were really good but that doesn't save the game from being really forgettable

Nah, even on a per mission basis by ranking each individually it still would still be at second or third place for me. In fact, here's my rankings for every Halo missions from CE to reach:

The Covenant > Mombassa Streets > Delta Halo > Regret > The Ark > Lone Wolf > The Great Journey > Tsavo Highway = The Silent Cartographer > Uplift Reserve > Metropolis = Outskirts > Long Night of Solace > Coastal Highway = Gravemind > The Pillar of Autumn (Reach) > Kikowani Station > Cairo Station = NMPD HQ > Assault on the Control room > Truth and Reconciliation = Halo (3) = Tip of the Spear > The Package = ONI Alpha = Site Sierra 117 > The Storm = Tayari Plaza > Kizingo Boulevard = Exodus > Uprising = Crows Nest = Data Hive > Nightfall > The Package > Winter Contingency = The Pillar of Autumn (CE) > ONI: Sword Base > New Alexandria > Halo (CE) = 343 guilty spark > The Arbiter > High Charity > Sacred Icon > The Maw = Floogate > Keyes > Two Betrayals > Quarantine Zone = Cortana > The Oracle > The Library

I imagine you'll disagree with Mombassa streets ranking this highly in this, but regardless, you can see that my liking of ODST is further then just MUH ATMOSPHERE even if you disagree.

Sure, but so has every halo game's plot other then 2's. Of them, i'd argue ODST has the best writing other then it even if it's still generic.

Real nice soundtrack, it's a shame that its another console-only game that I won't be able to play

How can you not like THE comfiest skybox known to man?

I don't really agree. Say what you will about the original trilogy (especially 1) but it at least kept your attention and didn't generally waste your time. Like the first time I played the original Halo I was invested in it to its completion and never felt like I needed to skip the cutscenes.

In ODST I can't help shaking the feeling that most of the story we are experiencing is completely unnecessary to the actual plot which doesn't pick up until the very end. Especially the love story which was completely unnecessary. I remember the first time I played it I really wanted to skip the cutscenes.

They could've focused the plot significantly more around the idea of exploring the city and uncovering clues about what happened to your team before not even finding out what happened to them until the very end. I would've preferred that to "just walk around, flashback, walk around, flashback, walk around, plot actually starts"

Still would be better if they actually gave you the tools like gearbox did with custom edition, we got the tools that bungie used to compile their maps to make our own.

That's largely since it's not a PC game so they don't trust us with creating a full fledged mod for the game like people did for Halo CE

Truely a masterpierce and not cash grab from the corpse of a dead IP before they transitioned to Halo Reach.

That was my major problem with this game. Still fun, but from a narrative perspective it was dumb.

Your problem was forgetting that 343 literally DID make it into CoD.

Anything "right" about Halo games by them is just leftover from before they bought it. 343 has done nothing good with the franchise and will continue to do everything worse with each iteration.

Halo 3 and by extension ODST have good gameplay. Literally nothing else matters

Microsoft doesn't trust anyone period.

Go back to the entire incident with H2EK. We were shown and promised a more robust version of the original HEK for H2V and when it came out instead we got something heavily gimped and locked down, unable to even place bipeds in scenarios.

Best way to play as a bog standard human is biped swap on Halo PC or do one better and use Custom Edition and remake the campaign where the cheif's biped is a bog standard marine's. The only real legwork you'd have to do is alter vehicle strings and actually get it so when the player throws grenades it throws them instead of just dropping the live nade at your feet

I've not even played H5 but they gave Forge a major expansion with scripting support and other things, you can do way more with it than could be done in Reach or H3 now.

Reminder that there are people young enough to have grown up with these games here. So it could just be nostalgia, same reason people praise shit like OoT.

I don't like the new arbiter, he looks retarded.

Halo has my favorite skyboxes of any vidya franchise, and it's one of the elements 343 has thankfully done a good job at after taking over, but the cool skybox doesn't make up for how frustrating the mission can be.

Of course, but it's probably the best map editor in any console game, even compared to some PC titles that have them without having full modding support it's impressive

I don't disagree with any of your suggested improvements, really, but I think it's dumb to judge games for things they aren't, which is why I fundamentally disagree with and his point that ODST is somehow a worse game just by the virtue of Halo 3 already exisitng.

Like, there's a distinction between an outright flaw or demerit, something that the game does that doesn't work, and merely a way a game could have been done differently. Changing the entire story structure of ODST very well might have made it a better game, but it's also in my mind unfair to say that it *not* doing so is a flaw with the game, since at that point you aren't really judging what it did, but judging it against what you wished it did.

For what it did, and it as it exists, I think ODST has the second best (or second least shit, if you want to spin it that way) story of the halo games. CE's entire story sort of rides on the twist with the flood and other then that the narrative only really exists to strings the missions and objectives together. I get some people might enjoy that minimalism but I don't. 3's plot, while mostly a fitting finale for the series (except for ruining truth), is pretty generic and doesn't do much interesting and all of the characters are as flat as they were in CE, unlike in 2 (which had actual character development, two split narratives that intersected, legimately good writing, tons of environmental storytelling and lore subtext)

ODST and Reach benefit from having more main characters that interact with each other better and have more defined relationships (ODST moreso then reach here) and better cinematography with cutscenes and weaving narrative into the missions themselves and using envoiemental storytelling. 4 tried to actually have a very character driven plot with tons of character development and emotion and I respect the effort but the end result was a cringy mess that made both MC and Cortana act horribly out of character. 5's plot is literally just buildup to 6.

Off the top of my head, here's an bunch of thing 343 has done well: Most of legends, The scoreboardc changes in H4, regicide as a mode in 4, the storm rifle, 4's envoirmental design, 4's soundtrack even if it's not marty tier, evolutions, cryptum, primordium,, silentium, half of glassland and thursday war, last light, broken circle, Fractures, envoy, smoke and shadow, mythos, warfleet, 5's weapon balance, 5's MP mechanics, 5's customs, 5's forge, 5's ambient dialog, the ability to swap seats in vehciles, making health visible again, warzone

IMO the arbiter's kaidon armor in Halo 5/KI is one of the few armor designs they've made that's not ass: It looks cool, and it matches the bungie era discriptions of what it looked like in the books: Golden, gaudy, ornate, etc

I don't. To me ODST is an example of a game that had potential to be something much grander than just "a halo 3 dlc" and more akin to a piece of art or like "Deus Ex: Halo edition" but it wasn't.

To me judging a game based on what it isn't should inspire people to learn how to make their own games to take advantage of the developer's shortcomings. Like I'm still somewhat surprised someone hasn't made a game just like ODST without all of the pointless bullshit that weighs the game down.

I feel this is part of the problem. They try to make their story more important than it really is.

Halo's storyline is at its best when it is simple, to the point and not in your face. Like Halo Combat Evolved is a great example of a simple story that's told very well that never gets in the way. I'd love a Halo game with a simpler story just told very well than one with "emotional drama" constantly where it isn't needed.

You can even see it with the art style, armor designs and gun designs where they used to be simple and straightforward but now just blend into the background of "generic overdesigned sci-fi". Like if you look at art from Halo 2 it looks clean and distinctive by comparison to Halo 4/5.

Perhaps I should have been more clear: It's okay to judge games for it, but there's a difference between "How good what we got is" and "how good it could have been" and "how good it is for the price", those are 3 seperate metrics and should stay seperate.

I mean, did Halo 2 not succeed at having a plot and writing that's a bit more complex and nuanced? It's possible, it just needs to be done well.

Halo 2's plot was only more complicated because it built on Halo 1's plot instead of starting from zero. If Halo 1 had started with "Earth is being attacked by these aliens because Earth is actually and ancient key for these other ancient artifacts that will kill life across the galaxy," you would have laughed and laughed at it. And also, throughout all of Bungie's Halo games, there's not any complex characters. There's no moral dilemmas or anything like that between the characters. The plot is cool, but you're never questioning why you're doing a thing, and most importantly, you're never yelling at your protagonist for being an idiot. In Halo 5 you get ripped out of the whole experience because the whole time humans are fighting each other it's SO FUCKING STUPID, FOR FUCKS SAKE JUST TALK TO EACH OTHER FOR 5 MINUTES. In the original Halos, moral dilemmas come down to, "Unquestionably evil people unquestionably get bullets in the head." Halo's strength used to be how masterfully it did a popcorn action movie plot in video game form, but now they're desperate for the "cinematic experience," so the plots have gotten stupidly complex, which no one ever asked for.

I wish they added matchmaking for the Firefight mode.

They had it in reach

Truth and Reconciliation is so fun, lengthy and immersive. Why isn't it higher?

Same reason why Silent Cartographer isn't higher: CE's issues in general.

lack of enemy and weapon variety, copy pasted hallways everywhere both visually and in their geometry; lack of good scaling and decoratives, making everything feel like a blatent video game level rather then an actual location, etc.

tl;dr, it gets tedious and repetitive. The entire game suffers from this. It's not really it's own fault, it was working within the technical limits of it's time, but that doesn't make the issues go away.

I've always thought CE and Reach are at least unarguably good games you don't have to be a Halo fan to enjoy.

Unmovingly Reach for everything about its sheer quality of presentation that makes it feel like you're playing through an actual cutscene at all times and not a shitty movie with satisfying reloading sounds to compliment gorgeous shapes that also sound satisfying to fire, all the enjoyable customization you can make to your armor to make it look as amazing or humble with distinctive characteristics as you want, an addictive and nonstop how-long-can-you-last onslaught mode like Firefight with plenty of different arenas anf all the ammo you could need for your trusty shotgun and rifles topped off with an almost unlimited stage creation you can make as ridiculous as you feel like as long as you put the time into it.

Maybe it's just me because I have a low tolerance for tedious stuff and I don't like to give older games slack just for being old, but I defintely think CE is the weakest game in the series other then maybe 4 and 5, and even then that's only a maybe, due to what I already mentioned and lack of content relative to it's sequels.

I'd say

2 > ODST > Reach > 3 > CE = 4 > 5

2A > 2 = 5 >> CE > Reach > 3 >>> 4

5 >> 2A > Reach >> 3 = 4 >> 2 >> CE (console)

2 > 3 = Reach >> CE >> 4 > 5

ODST > 2 >> 3 > CE >> Reach >> 4 >> 5

2 > CE >> 5 > 3 = 4 >>> Reach

ODST > Reach >> 4 > CE > 2 > 3 > 5

Forgot weapon balance

5 >> CE > 2A = Reach >>>>> 4 = 3 >> 2

Am I the only one who enjoyed Halo 3's multiplayer just as much as Halo 2?

Though fucking nothing beats Custom Edition ever so you can fuck off.

I don't give a shit about whatever isn't Bungle.

The biggest problem with Halo 3's mp is

1. maps (slightly subjective)
Like Valhalla isn't as good as Blood Gulch/coagulation and the only reason it was made was to cut down on sniper spam in mp. Other than that it feels less fun to play on and I remember at the time I just missed the original. When Reach brought it back I was giddy.

2. Weapons
One big issue with Halo 3 is weapon balance. Specifically a huge amount of weapons are pointless. This wasn't an issue in Halo 2 because weapons were much more balanced. That and dual wielding was much less broken.

The reason I bring up weapon balance is something that the original Halo did was it made all of the weapons fun to use. The same with 2 to a lesser extent (some of the weapons are just kind of useless like the human pistol and the smg. Although they're mostly the weapons you start with so it makes sense). Whereas in Halo 3 it felt like half of the weapons I was picking up just weren't as good as the stock sniper/energy sword/shotgun. And that if you didn't have one of those you were basically dead in the water. Then there were redundancies in weapons like why have smgs when you have the assault rifle which is better since it's more accurate and isn't as spammy.

Halo 3's MP did have player customization which was great at the time however it was made irrelevant once Reach did it better. It also had Forge but once the later games started also having Forge it became less relevant.

tl;dr Halo 3's MP was great at the time but later games expanded on it or made the features it introduced irrelevant and left it a mostly bloated and underwhelming experience by comparison.

Then you are being dumb, because H5's MP and forge are legimately fantastic.

H3 had way more pointless guns but the BR was more broken in 2 then it was in 3.

Iirc the BR was less broken until they figured out that RR X glitch

Reported.
Go back to reddit.

Wew

I will not support anything after Reach, especially not with the shit humorless asspulled direction Halo's been forced to continue, most of all, by a bunch of retards asshurt about "ebul anime gamurgators".

I always liked the H3 SMGs. Come to think of it I liked most of H3's arsenal. H2 had a good selection, too. Though I'd agree that the only time the SMG was useful was the opening missions where you could run about with three of them and ammo for days. But they phase out so quickly to be replaced with the BR and better shit.

The fuck are you even talking about, there hasn't been any SJW bullshit in Halo, other then them shilling female elites here and there.

I too liked the constant mini-spam of brrrrrrrrrrrrrt on anything with a red reticle

I'm tempted to track down a cheap 360 specifically to play this game.

Reported.

They just made ODST, 3 and awhile ago Reach all backwards compatible with the Xbone

I hooked up my old 360 slim and got LIVE for a month to shitpost on Reach and play as a ayylieum on 3

There's really no reason to play 3 via backwards compatability over playing it on MCC. ODST at least doesn't have firefight in MCC, only the campaign, and reach isn't on MCC at all

dual wield smgs was like a roaring engine

yeh, I was stupid and sold my 360 a while back after I hadn't played it for a couple years and microsoft announced their weird spying shit through the Xbone (even though that didn't go anywhere). Looks like slims are around 50-60 bucks though so it doesn't look like it'll cost me to much to get one and a copy of the game.

Halo 3 on MCC is fucking shit though.

Not really. Even on launch the campaign was fine (better, really, because of the FPS and resolution bump) and most of the networking issues are worked out now.

Gamestop in MN was selling gaylo reach for $5 and 3 for $3

Bought two copies of 3 and one of Reach for brother, I still have my old Reachin addition to the statue and flaming armor that came with the good goy kit

I dunno man. Nothing will replace H3 on xbox360 for me. I had too many good times

I agree the lesser customization options are a shame but do those really outweigh 60fps and 1080p to you?

Shit like what happened with Cortana story and design wise after she broke down I don't trust and microshit in general can burn in hell.

I'm not supporting anything after Reach.

Were you even paying attention during 5? No?
Honestly can't say I blame you

That stuff never really bothered me on a console because it was a given, so no it doesn't bother me now because it's still not there.

If it was on PC on the other hand I'd expect it to be.

are you seriously asking if graphics is more important than game play?

Literal only thing I gave a shit about is the trailer impressively with Knights of Cydonia. My brother felt a sense of loss and melancholy when its launch was the shittiest and worst ever apparently while I felt nothing but spiteful, sadistic satisfaction.

Because he loved Halo, not because he was asshurt about the "new" shit we both hated not being beloved.

are you implying that framerate does not have an extreme bearing on gameplay?

it has a bearing on game play, but extreme? nigger stop being a marketer. actual mechanics are more important. The effect framerate has on game play gets exponentially more important once framerate falls under a certain threshold, but that threshold is not fucking 60 or even 30.

I'd say 30 fps is still perfectly playable. Anything above 20 fps is just desirable, below 20 is shitty though.

You're fucking cancer. You need at LEAST 35+fps before your gameplay isn't effected by it.

20 is where it effectively creeps on the quality of game play, 30 is playable, 60 is ideal, beyond that the benefits decline over time. Below 20 absolutely hurts the game play notably.

-t. someone with a 160hz monitor

lol. stop being a shill

sure it's "bearable", but I despise it regardless.
Perhaps I have a tism that you may or may not lack, but do you really not notice a single difference when the framerate below 60? Shit, just a month ago I tried megaman x3 at 50 frames per second, and everything felt sluggish. I got it over to 60 and bada bing bada boom, it's silky smooth again

jesus christ dude, that's nearly unplayable.

been playing games where 35 was the max, 17 was the max for even older ones, readme's said 20 was considered "playable" by devs, etc. this was PC gaming in the early 90s p much

I like to play different kinds of games, but sometimes i like to play escape quest room. I think this kind of games is curious because has nice story and characters. I often play in LA and find information here thequestfactory.com/ You can chose some quests room for playing. For example yesterday I started playing laboratory of lost species. To play you need to book one of the rooms online and find clues or solve the puzzles.

What?
No seriously, what?

That's some pretty cool stuff, bro. We should go together sometime. Seems like it would be fun

I'd say it really depends on the kind of game you're playing, too. Which is a pretty fucking obvious statement now that I think about it.

But fuck me nobody will ever be truly happy with any framerate if you know that higher framerates are possible with your current hardware. I'm happy with most games running on my machine at a smooth 60, because that's pretty much my limit. I have a 60hz monitor and I don't really need to squeeze every last frame out of it.

But in a game like Civ, or an MMO, I'd say I don't mind framerate drops as long as it isn't jarring. Like going from 60 to 20 when you look at a crowd of things on screen, that shit just makes me think the game is poorly optimized.

I agree how cortana was handled in 4 is absolute trash, user.

I was, the only vaugely SJW thing in 5 was the mention of female elites in the arbiter's forces, which I mentioned. What do you think was SJWish besides that? Locke, vale, and Tanaka? You do remember that Black and Female marines and Spartans were a thing before Halo 5, right?

You DO remember sergent Johnson existed, as well as Linda, Kelly, Sam, etc, right?

I guess that's fair. All the games I have played for the past months have been DMC, several of the megaman/x/zero games, and fighting games, so that shit is paramount to me.

Back when I played brood war and empire at war on a much more regular basis, framerate drops were common, but I never felt like I "missed" much. Though it had a much bigger impact in brood war than empire.

perhaps this is a side effect of being a major lorefag, but is this not incredibly significant? First off, this coming right out of the fucking blue should be really strange for a person who's not big on lore. The elites are highly based on samurai, or at the very least are portrayed as natural born warriors with a hard-on for honor and death on the battlefield. The very thought that they would let their wives or women anywhere near the battlefield is outrageous.
And is it not suspect that they just so happen to make up a very "colorful" and "diverse" team?

That is an insult not only to me, but Sergeant Avery Johnson himself. You apologize right this instant.

I'm also a big lorefag, too, user: There was prior mention of the Arbiter's forces/the Swords of Sanghelios allowing female elites into combat roles in Shadow of Intent (a novella featuring Half Jaw and what happened to him after Halo 3) as well as some unrelated female elite shilling in Broken Circle (which covered the formation of the covenant and tthen the descendants of those characters during the great schism)

Is that not sort of the point/idea though? Like, yeah, 343i is obviously using it just to push diversity bullshit, but it's not like they are just pretending that elite soceity is super equal now or whatever: As vale says in Halo 5, it's atypical for females to serve in combat roles and she was suprised to see it. In Shadow of Intent, the artbiter making that change wasn't without controversy and him doing so wasn't just because he was a feminist or whatever, he did it because he needed the extra manpower and he and half jaw came across capable female fighters.

I'd certainly prefer they not have gone out of their way to push it at all, but it happening during the course of a civil war where old traditions and religious belifs were being tested and thrown away to begin with is sort of exactly the situation this sort of thing would happen under.

To an extent, perhaps,but to me it seems more like the result of just having a "diverse" team for aesthetic variety rather then/in addition to SJ brownie points. Like, I worked on a few fangames for various shit myself, and even when we certainly weren't in favor of diversity padding, we still naturally wanted somewhat of a balance of genders and body types amongst groups so every character was visually distinct and shit; and each character has got to be one race or gender or another anyways.

If they had gone out of their way to beat you over the head with how progressive they were being about it like they sort of did with the elites, that'd be one thing, but I don't think it's fair to just cry "SJW's" every time there's a girl or miniorty character, even if it was done for partially for diversity's sake.

Like, the only effective difference between Johnson/Miranda and so on and them is just that Locke/Vale/Tanaka are boring as fuck, but they weren't pushing/making their race/gender any more of a deal then Johnson/Miranda did, IE, not at all.

I'm sorry user, I've legimately come across people before that know nothing about halo and wasn't aware he was a thing and that black characters had major roles in it already. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to always assume the worst on Holla Forums.

Halo 2 was garbage

I heavily disagree but would love to hear you explain why you think that

Stop trying to defend people using games as a platform for their agenda

I never said it made it okay

I'm relieved to know you'll never know the pain of wrangling 4 crt TVs, 4 Xboxes, and 16 pubescent boys under one roof for about 40 minutes of Halo and 6 hours of arguing over who got in the Tank.