Intriguing / mysterious areas in games that turned out to be total let downs

The gaming equivalent to a heavily padded bra, if you will.

Pic very related. When you first get to Majula in Dark Souls 2 (and have played so little of the game that you're blissfully unaware of how shit it is), there is a giant, seemingly bottomless hole in the centre of town.

You can tell it is supposed to be traversed into because of the platforms that are initially too far apart to be landed on without dying. I remember being completely transfixed as to what lay in the depths of this well. It was a great bit of mystery in the game.

Anyway, eventually you get the means to descent and end up in some of the shittiest, anti-climactic areas of the game. Coupled with my growing disgust at the execution of the game since I'd played it long enough by that point, I felt pretty put out by the whole thing.

hey at least it wasnt DS3

That door that needed lvl 999 to open in Tibia. Apparently there was nothing there, kek.

If you are the opinion that DaS2 level design is subpar compared to the rest of the series then why would this be a let down? By the time you get to descend the hole you've already played through a fair amount of areas. In short, stop making shit threads OP.

They entirety of No More Heroes 2.
None of the bosses are explained.
None of the areas are explained.
None of the implied relationships between bosses are explained.
And to add insult to the injury the last boss is fully explained anti-climatic not in any way shape or form interesting piece of shit.

The entirety of Saints Row The Third.
There is being disappointed by a sequel, and there is this.

You fuck right off.

T-The purpose of NPCs there is still unknown.

What are you talking about?
The Blighttown rip off fit there perfectly. What were you expecting, a fucking castle at the bottom?
Retard fuck

I understand. It also didn't help I played pic related at the same time I was playing System Shock 2 for the first time.

It's the town's dump … what do you think would live down there?

The vent in the first level of EYE

The secret garden in Shadow of the Colossus.

It's not a matter of logic, it's a matter of narrative. The pit in Majula is ostensibly a big mystery waiting to be resolved. It's the kind of plot device you use to show promise, to keep the player hooked. It ending up with a rehash of literally any level of DaS or DeS, even the best ones, not only defeats but betrays its entire purpose.
And retards like you are claiming "but dude, it totally makes sense logically"? You really were brainwashed into swallowing cock when your master laughs at you.

I really liked the Ryuji-Margret-Vladimir-Alice chain of bosses and Travis's character development between the four battles.

How did 3-4 houses cause enough waste to pollute an entire area?

Nigger hating DaS2's level design is a gradual process
He obviously played through most of the game, showing he was either A: entertained enough by the game to keep going on and see what it had to offer or B: see if there was any light at the end of the tunnel, like with intriguing-looking places like the pit.

That whole air duct section in the first level of E.Y.E, it makes you think you found some cool secret and you just end up crawling for 10 minutes only to get to the end of the level.

After finding a lava lake with a fortress over the sky? I don't know man.

The last boss is Battman because Travis is like Joe Chill, the villain who killed Bruce Wayne's family for quick cash that caused him to become Batman.

The family of his you killed were just some forgettable enemies in the side missions of the first game

The whole game is about "cycles" so many civilisations rose and fell between the first game and the second. It's not weird to think it's a dump that has the trash of many different generations in it.

You can even see a car wheel there, deepest lore. Ds2 is such a piece of shit holy fuck

The pile of trash looks super goofy but I didn't see any modern car wheel in it. I did see a wooden cart wheel if that's what you meant

well technically there is a giant pyramid down there if you bought the dlc or Scholar of the first sin

No I meant an actual modern car/truck wheel, at first I thought it was a cart wheel too

Jesus that looks so bad it's funny.
Anyway it's a cart wheel man. It's uniformly colored so you can tell it's supposed to be wood. You'd see black on the borders if it was supposed to be a modern car wheel with tires.

Dark Souls Drifting when?

Pretty sure that's just part of a sculpture

You're right, the proportions fooled me though. It looks way too thick compared to the spokes.

And before any misunderstandings, I am not calling Ds2 shit because of the wheel.

Anything mysterious that's later explained. Anything.
There's no greater meaning that can be given to a mystery than that which is conjured by an observer's own mind.

I felt let down by the abandoned ship in Metroid Prime 3.
I just imagined this dead ship full of phazon left to grow and mutate in isolation would have had more disturbing biomoprhs hidden inside.

The proportions are fucky, no doubt

Don't worry, user. I, too spent my years playing that pile of shit. Haven't touched it in about 6 years or so, though. Also never even got to level 30. Fucking PvP worlds.

From took straight fucking pictures to use in DaS2 dont defend it

ur moms house

This just proves that Heineken is the Dark Souls of beer.

This

Daw, wrong quote

It's not even a dark draft though?

Doesn't stop it from being a soulslike experience.

I still don't see the problem, it is right where it belongs.

It'll be nice when "soulslike" and "metroidvania" finally get their own unique genre names. Like "Pabbity" and "Toonch" or whatever. That's how language works, right? You just make up sounds and the sounds that people like the most become the word?

Let's not stop there, I want a whole genre of Souls-Vania games out there where I have to do a lot of castle platforming with the shitty Souls platforming controls.

Sounds great, and we also need to fuck up the poise system somehow. Maybe this time the poise system determines how many parry frames you get if you stand still for more than 5 seconds.

Black holes in Elite:Dangerous no I don't own that hunk of shit. They make some warping effect but it's not realistic, black hole has no visible shadow, and you can't fly into it.

Just like real life exoplanets.

care to post some real pics of black holes?

I've already posted a picture of realistic rotating black hole. You'll get a real picture of a black hole in a few years from now, it'd be a few pixels across.

that's hilarious though