Some faggot made a thread about some gay zelda game but it gave me a great idea...

some faggot made a thread about some gay zelda game but it gave me a great idea, zelda is for faggots and girls so lets talk about goemon instead

what's your favorite goemon game? Who's your favorite character? What's your favorite music track from the games?

NO FUCKING CLOSE UPS!

How many of the games have been released in English?
I've only played the sidescrolling one on N64 but I liked it. Gave the NES RPG a try but it was dull as fuck.

a lot of em, some on the snes, 2/3 on the n64 (untranslated one is some gay board game shit)

my advice is to play mystical ninja and great adventure, I think all the games are great, but you really can't go wrong with any of em. PS1, DS, etc. Hell, the game even pokes fun at itself, when a PS1 version of the game featured a gay anime boi goemon as the main character, the DS version had him shackled up in prison

props to the team behind goemon for managing to make the best N64 music of all time despite the cartridge space limits

It's a good thing goemon died peacefully then letting Konami bastardize it.

Can't unsee Steven Universe as goemon(GET THE FUCK OUT)

What makes a Goemon game? It seems like every entry in the series is radically different.

5: the first SNES game, the 2 N64 action-adventure titles, and 2 of the top-down action games on Game Boy. The GB "Mystical Ninja" is a late 1997 barely-using the Super Game Boy release by one of Konami's lesser studios and looks and plays worse than the original GB release from 1991. Europe got Color-updated compilations of early GB titles like Japan had, using nice GBC support and offered the first GB Goemon in Vol.3

Have you checked out the most recent Goemon games, user?

well

I would love a new game in the style they used for this shit, but you know, at the same time, hopefully not.

the style and humor. the games themselves are all pretty tightly designed but they need to have that over the top absurd quality to them.

That's what you get for watching faggot shit.

If Mario is the epitome of whimsy then the Goemon series is the epitome of Japan. I can't think of any other game that really took me to a place like the MN series has. Maybe River City Ransom captures the heart of Japan pretty well? The modern interpretation may be the Yakuza series I guess but I haven't touched that franchise.

If you want to go to japan without actually going to Japan play some MN games. They will take you there.

fucking love this game, havent played the rest of the series though

it's korean robin hood you fuck

play great adventure

Fun fact: The first TMNT LCD game Konami made was repurposed into a Goemon LCD game; same layout, same gameplay of saving a girl, different overlay art for the characters. It even still plays the Turtles fanfare.

In terms of gameplay and design, there's 2 main kind of Goemon games, the platformers, and the adventure ones.
The first 2 games on Famicom have a top down view similar to Zelda, while the first Super Famicom game and its sequel, mixed some mild adventure elements (mostly in towns), and then platformer levels as regular gameplay.
Goemon 3 on SFC is a text-heavy adventure game similar to the Famicom games although it has side-scrolling, it's more exploration based.
Goemon 4 basically takes all the concepts from the past Goemon games and makes it all even crazier.
Then there's the N64 goemon, which both showcase both type of games in the franchise: Mystical Ninja starring Goemon is an adventure style game, and Goemon's Great Adventure is a side-scroller (with the trademark town segments from the series).

All in all, I'd sum it up as Comfy medieval japanese platforming adventure.

If you want to start with the series, just play the SNES Mystical Ninja and both N64 titles, which are in english.
After that, Goemon 2 and 4 and extremely recommended.
The Famicom games are good too but might feel "dated" for people who didn't grow up or enjoy early NES games.
If you're already a fan of Goemon you will enjoy them.

with a dose of incredible self awareness at both the society it's made in, the society it's parodying in game, and the way the rest of the world views it.

also

PLASMA!

Not the mention the music's typically fantastic, mixing traditional Japanese style with more poppy beats.

nihon funk should be the correct term for it

My favorite is Goemon 2 on the SNES.
I wish they'd translate Goemon 3 and 4 though, they are also great.

Also every single game in the series has amazing music, but this one stands out to me.

Now you got me all feudal weeaboo. Are there any other great games in this setting, goofy or otherwise? I remember Pocky and Rocky and Okami, anything else?

the spiritual successor to pocky and rocky, heavenly guardian on PS2 and Wii (its in English too)

All I know is that Yae a cute. CUTE.

Good shit.

Goemon is love, Goemon is life.

Favorite is still LOMN on SNES, but I also like Mystical Ninja 64 (the 3D N64 one, not GGA). GGA is great too.

RIP Konami, they used to make good games.

Top Tier:
Goemon 3

High Tier:
N64 Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Goemon 4
SNES Goemon 2
DS Goemon
Goemon Dynamite

Mid Tier:
Goemon's Great Adventure
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
NES Goemon 2
NES Goemon
GB MNSG

Low Tier:
Mr. Goemon
Akogingu
PS2 Goemon
Goemon Oedo
Shin Goemon

Shit Tier:
Kuru Nara Koi

This. It's got awesome characters, atmosphere, platforming, varied combat with different weapons, great minigames, and best of all
IMPACT

I could've sworn there was another Goemon game on psx, full 2D graphics with top down zelda like perspective, but now I can't remember the name and can't find any evidence of its existence. Am I losing my mind?

Loved Goemon's Great Adventure as a kid. The music is excellent, and it holds up as one of the strongest platformers I've played. If you play casually it's challenging and fun, and if you get more serious, the mechanics push back in a really rewarding way. The simplicity of the three tier health and weapon system makes the game easy to pick up, but it also gives combat a lot more weight compared to other platformers. Every time you're hit, you're so much closer to death than before, and it changes the game into a desperate scramble for the next power up or check point. Most of the levels are designed so that you never have to stop moving (just have to jump when you attack), so it makes it really fun to blaze through them, once you get more familiar. I can't think of any other games that have the same flow and balance. Devs definitely knew what they were doing.

What Goemon game do you guys think is most similar? I briefly played some of the snes ones, but not long enough to say. Are there other platformer's that have similar mechanics? I've recently had an itch for more, but haven't found anything.

DA-DA-DASH

That's Akogingu. The best of the Sony Goemon games.

I think Goemon's Great Adventure and Goemon 4 are tied for arguably best, but my favorite is Starring Goemon. It has some typical issues of mid-90s 3D platformers, but it's still pretty damn good and kind of impressive to think it came out before both Mega Man Legends and Ocarina of Time.
Impact
I mean, there's too many good tracks in these games. I guess the best ones are the castle level ones, which are the ones with the most arrangements and even a progression with variations from part to part. And they're all good too. I'll go with vid related, but it could be any of them, really.
Notable mentions: burning edo castle, ghost toy, gourment submarine, underworld castle.

So I finally find out where that green-haired ninja/mermaid character is from. She was the first character I ever drawfagged back on cuckchan

She's also in several Yugioh cards. All 4 goemon characters are there.

Goemon is what I say to Jamaicans.

I honestly don't know why I thought even for a second that there wouldn't be a Goemon Pachislot machine.

Beat-Mania is that you?

I'm pretty sure Toon Mermaid isn't supposed to be a reference to Yae.

Yeah I actually thought so too, but still a green haired mermaid it's kind of a reference, maybe.

I love giant robots

why live

Am i the only one who when looks at the name goemon i see Goymon?

Yes

If the merchant ever encountered Goemon he'd love him. Goemon throws golden coins as projectile attacks (in reference to the legendary Ishikawa Goemon who would throw stolen money, but not to attack, but for the poor people)

Like a rose that blooms in nature

Why? Goemon is essentially japanese robin hood.

Goemon 3 was the pinnacle of Impact battles.

Nice summary, just wish they'd done more like N64 Mystical Ninja. That game is impressively packed.

I think that's part of why I also like the Kunio-kun games.

Because he'd be able to pick up the scattered coins

Which of these are playable if you don't know moon? I couldn't finish Goemon 3 for SNES because moonrunes. I've only played the first two NES games, Mr. Goemon, the two N64 games(not the board game), 1, 2, and 4 on SNES.

Hopefully the make switch one. Loved second n64 game. Robot battle was fun blocking boss robot attacks and going kenshiro up their ass.

DS, PS2 and Uchuu probably need a guide for.

I really need to play the sequel. I didn't even know it even existed until recently.

You do, it's quite possibly the best Goemon game.
Sadly Konami went full retard in the localization of it and omitted the intro and Double Impact cutscenes and songs. Which doesn't make any sense because they were there on the first game (unless it has something to do with copyright with Kageyama and Mizuki, but I doubt it).
At least we can watch them on youtube so it's not that bad.

I'm amazed they where even able to fit fully voiced audio on those carts. Maybe that was the reason? English texts always takes more space, but this is Konami we are talking about.

Here her music video.

It probably was a reference to her.

bump bump bump

Since i was a little boy, i wanted to fuck that green haired ninja girl. i dont remember her name, i dont remember her story. i do remember that mermaid part that nearly brought me to tears and made my hand hurt trying to get up that fucking waterfall.

is that part as hard as i remember it being?

Show us your drawfaggotry of her.

The Japanese version had the music plus voices in it. It'd be more compression either way.

It's an odd trade-off, Mystical Ninja N64 in the West had the Japanese Intro+Impact songs but not the voiceovers for the story intro&endings while Goemon's Great Adventure did the exact opposite.

yae really is the best

Yae cosplaying as Lum… best of fanservice.

sub par frame rate aside. Why does this seem to happen with so many n64 roms? Does that extra 10 frames really choke emulators that much?

Also
I knew I was missing a few but damn I didn't think they made so many.

the problem with foregoing cycle accuracy on a system that relies on cycle to cycle operations. n64 emulation is a mess.

Well thats sad then.

Another question, Mystical Ninja 2 is a completely different beast to Mystical Ninia 1, what other game is like Mystical Ninja 1, aka, (Ocarina of Time)-ish like game?

MN starring Goemon is a one of a kind game within the Goemon series, really.
I guess you could say Goemon 3 on SFC is similar, but not really, and it still has side-scroller segments.
the PS2 Goemon game is an adventure style but I never played it, I was always turned off by Goemon not being in his classic design, maybe it's not a bad game, but I doubt it's as good as MNSG.
There's also Kuru Nara Koi! Ayashige Ikka no Kuroi Kage on PS1, which is another 3D Goemon adventure game, but I can't really recommend it either.

Which plugin are you using? The US version runs at a constant 60VI/S for me

What ever the base plugins are. Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 , Jabo's DirectSound 1.6 , Jabo's DirectInput7 1.40. I switch between project64 and 1964 for emulators when one or the other doesn't work. This is with project64.