Why do such a vast majority of gaymin laptops have red/black color scheme to appeal to 13 year olds or waste...

Why do such a vast majority of gaymin laptops have red/black color scheme to appeal to 13 year olds or waste money/space on RGB lighting? Why isn't their more modest looking ones like the Acer Aspire V17 Nitro BE? Why do the most of them only have nvidia/Intel instead of amd? Is there any out their reasonably priced/decently built? Also Hardware thread I guess

>inb4 >>>Holla Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-510-15ISK-Notebook-Review.179300.0.html
cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fall-Tracer-II-15-VR
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is a gtx 1050, i5 core and 8GB of ram too much if I just want to play indie titles while travelling?

A 940mx is another cheaper option Im considering

>>>Holla Forums

Depends on what indie games, for the vast majority of them a 940mx would be just fine. What games are you wanting to play? Also any particular unit?

I don't go to tech because they would either sage bomb while green texting

The one with the 1050 is an Inspiron i5577-5328BLK-PUS

The one with the 940MX is an Acer Aspire E5-575G-57KJ or a Lenovo Ideapad 510-15IKS

as for the titles, I think the most demanding of them would be Ghost of a Tale (when its finished), Furi and Grimrock 2

if I can play somewhat recen non-indie stuff that would be a nice bonus

on top of that, If I could emulate Saturn/Dreamcast/Gamecube/PS2 that would get me diamonds

I higly doubt PS3 emulation is even for consideration, but it looks tempting to try out Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown

For the Ideapad here is a good review notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-510-15ISK-Notebook-Review.179300.0.html
Would be better as a work laptop than for games, light games would be just fine. Woudlbt really recommend for emulation unless its a 3ds or below. The Acer would honestly be better, considering it has a 50-60% better performance GPU wise and 15% CPU wise for 50$ more

The Acer aspire wouldn't be too bad, you may get away with running ghost of tale decently(depending on how well optimized) on low or medium, however emulation wise it may struggle a bit, considering the 950M is very weak compared to that Dell's 1050 and the processor on the dell is about 35% better, which is ok. But considering the video card has about a 170% performance increase compared to the 940M its well worth the extra 125$

tdlr: get the Dell, more suited for your needs.

thanks user

thanks for the advice user

Also, if you get the dell I would recommend a fresh install of Windows considering dell usually comes with a lot of bloat. Do some research on it to see if you would be satisfied, the specs may be decent for the price (gaymin laptop wise) bit it could have a terrible build quality. Look at videos on YouTube (or Hooktube, unless you have AdNauseam or a lazy faggot like me)

Does anyone have any experience with Cyberpowerpc?

I can play plenty of games on my X200, if you do go for a second hand Thinkpad though I'd advise getting one that support OpenGL 3.3 at the very least. X220 would be a good choice.

Don't buy gaming laptops.

Yes, they sell rebranded MSI configurable laptops (at least mine was). It wasn't worth the money and the hardware was quickly made obsolete. It, with a GTX 765M, can't even run something like Overwatch at 60 FPS stable on low-med settings.
Never buy a gaming laptop. Also this user has good advice:

Why would you even consider such a thing? Build a desktop.

I have an x230t, which it can run games like Company of Heroes and Fallout New Vegas fairly well. Some games like Stubbs the zombie Sims 2 have a lot of graphics issues (likely dude to Intel onboard graphics, highly doupt they where optimized with them in mind). It can't really run Titanfall 2, Men of War Assault Squad 2, or Sims 3 well. Other than that its fine struggles to run GTA vice city at a constant 60 for some weird reason to

Was considering cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fall-Tracer-II-15-VR
As side from a really faggot name and rgb keyboard (likely able to disable or change), seems really decent for the price compared to similar products

I have a good desktop, its just I travel fairly often military and having a desktop isn't always preferable or possible

Red and Black is an appealing color scheme though

Gayman laptops are for children and autistic adults. Get something decent, like an XPS.

Gaymen laptops are shit. What happens is they put in high performance, power hungry parts into them. Then, a year or two later, they are too slow to do anything, yet they still guzzle power. Then you are stuck with a slow ass laptop that has no battery life.

Best bet to get something that can play some games and still has decent battery life. I'd wait for the AMD Ryzen APUs to come out, but it's going to be a while still.

One potential problem with AMD is it seems all their GPUs have awful performance in OpenGL compared to NVIDIA, and for laptop gaming the vast majority of games are OpenGL.

And also there will be no Laptop with an APU that isn't in a shitty modern chassis.

Oh sure I'll just lug my desktop around to every hotel I'm stuck at for work. Do you have brain damage? Nobody who buys a gaming laptop is looking for one to just set in one place like a desktop, they specifically need something portable. Which means no desktop.

Well hidden shill thread

I really wish AMD would set up their own line of gaming laptops, or at least have more of a share in the laptop market considering their recent apus are pretty good.

So what exactly is it in a laptop that makes the parts degrade faster than a desktop? I feel a 1060 in a laptop would last just as long as a desktop 1060 with proper care
Also
You could get a mini atx tower but there is the problem with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I know they have suitcases for that but that is still extra baggage

You can emulate Gamecube in 480~720p with a 940mx. Cpu Might bottleneck though if you have it at stock clocking

Also, these people talking about potential battery life issues, proper power cycling will do fucking WONDERS for it.
Actually turn your shit off when you're done, don't just hibernate.
And one thing I did remember Dolphin MAY run better in Leenux just because of the amount of resources freed up from being on the OS

Gaming laptops aren't good for travelling either, it's just as says: They have shit battery life and have a short lifespan in terms of how well they keep up with game releases. All of the time you're going to be keeping your laptop in your room or whatever, plugged in and on a desk, defeating the purpose of it.

The parts don't degrade, their performance simply becomes less than optimal for new games and programs down the road. Sure, you could say run today's games at 60 FPS on something like a current gen nvidia mobile graphics chip that is comparable to a 1070/1080 in a desktop or something, but down the line the power supplied by the mobile chip isn't great enough to handle newer games while the desktop graphics can still handle it.

And yet guess what happens with all gaming laptops.

easily spotted retard

Well the thing is, in my line a work, if I am in the field with a power source, I can't have my desktop because it is too big to take with me, while a gaymin laptop is smaller and much more compact. Or in my current situation, I am in a bay with 54 other men, zero room for a desktop but enough for a laptop. Or if I am visiting family while on leave I can just take it with me. Now if I am at a duty station where I have my own room/home, then my desktop would be an obviously the better choice.
All your other points are fair enough though

Reposting because I fucked up a greentext

To further compliment
If you're stuck on Windoze, be sure to turn off that Fast Shutdown feature. I've had some hardware weirdness occur in the past due to the nature of that feature (it never fully shuts the computer down, I think it goes to a C7 state) and if you're multi-booting; it's an essential step to ensure you're always booting from a consistent state.

Well fine, if you're content with playing [current year] and before games for quite a while then feel free to dump your money on a laptop, but just remember that it'll never be able to keep up and play newer games. If you're just looking to play older games then don't even spring for a newer gaming laptop.

Thanks for the advice user

As long as you aren't buying any of the meme brands you'll be okay. Don't be Dell, don't buy Republic of Gamers ASUS, don't buy Lenovo. Stick to these simple rules and you'll probably get a fair price.

Unless you're planning on playing a lot of Unreal Engine 4 indie games, that's more than enough.

The purpose of it is to have access to a gaming machine without lugging an entire desktop around. You take it with you, and set it up in your hotel room.

It's not the 00s anymore my dude, graphical progress has slowed to a crawl. You'll be good for several years before you have to start lowering settings.

I have an older, non-gaming laptop running Linux that I use for pretty much everything. It consumes very little power and the Intel HD 3000 iGPU performance is satisfactory for older games. I also have a desktop for when I want to play something more demanding/recent, but I don't use it all that much. It's basically like a gaming console to me. It has one of the first gen i5's and a gtx660. I got it for cheap from a friend when he bought a new rig. It's a bit too power-hungry for my taste though, so I underclocked both the cpu and the gpu and I play at the lowest settings with the fps limiter set to 30.

Almost every single big laptop manufacturer. Dell Acer Asus alienate, Lenovo all use the same parts from the same factory. There is no difference, only the illusion of choice, which makes dumbfucks like yourself believe that they are free.

Why do people think thinkpad keyboards are good? they're okay at best, at the same time
buckling springs are also okay at best

That's how everything in life is though, the only way to be free is to break the bonds of conservatism and become gay.

Aren't AMD CPUs hotter and power-hungrier than Intel's? That's a huge issue for portable devices.

Hurr durr I have nothing to say so I'm going to save face on an anonymous image board by posting a vague comment

My x230's keyboard is pretty decent compared to other laptops I've used

Yeah they're good compared to other laptop keyboards, but to say the thinkpad keyboards are a tier above, is not really selling it, they're still membrane keyboards with a more or less standard keyboard layout.

You need to point to a good laptop keyboard because 99% of them (including modern Thinkpads) are on par with Apple trash. Older Thinkpad ones are fine, and have Trackpoints. Buckling springs are wonderful.

You sound a bit upset user, can you not handle the truth?

Because 13-year-olds are dumb enough to buy a "gaming" laptop.
And you seem to be one, because you wouldn't be complaining about it unless you were shit out of options in powerful laptops.

wat?

As long as you make sure you have a seventh generation intel processor along with a gtx 1050/1050ti power consumption is actually fairly alright nowadays. We've arrived at a stalemate on desktop performance anyways where unless you spend over 600 bucks for your gpu alone you're pretty much gonna hit a performance cap.

That's not to say things won't be different in two years. But for now as long as you don't go full retard and get a sixth generation processor along with a 9XXm GPU you're actually fine when it comes to laptop performance.

Well most people do not need a gaming laptop, you should either focus on your studies or your job, then some jobs require you to leave home for days, then i would actually recommend getting one, they use intelvidia because they are the top hardware in performance per watt, and if you already decided to spend a thousand dollars or more on a laptop, you would want the best wouldn't you?

Simple really, anyone smart enough to know that dumb accsessories jack up the price of the hardware immensely, are not ever going to really want the newest mobile hardware in the first place, its not usually worth it. If you do your research it wont be hard to find a normal laptop that can handle low to medium settings. That was the last laptop i bought for gaming, ran me 600 buckos and lasted on it too.
naw for real though, i would never reccomend a laptop to play your games on, if you want portable games either make a pi box, or get a handheld. Laptops have neither the customizability of a pc, nor the easy pick up and play ability of a handheld. And the battery will never last once you get going.

Guys we are in the future now, gaming laptops are real things they have laptops with genuine desktop CPU/GPU not mobile versions.

You still want a desktop if you're gonna play 4k AMRA3 or something silly.

they re still fragile as shit and will die on its own in 3 years from all the overheating.

wew

Built quality and bloatware varies heavily between brands though. Dell has shit quality control and bloatware, Republic of Gamers Asus computers also have fairly poor quality control and Lenovo is so bad with bloatware, remember when they accidentally put malware on their laptops? I do, and I do not trust a company that stupid.

Unless any of you niggers actually overclock, and have two custom watercooling loops this arguement has become invalid. A modern laptop draws 60 watt from the wall at worst. That's actually less power then a lightbulb. And even if you run firestrike 4k 24/7 on your system, the moment it gets around 100 degrees Celsius it shuts down. Way before it could do any possible harm for your components.

I get the feeling the majority of people on Holla Forums are still in a 2010 Holla Forums mindset where yes, gaming laptops were a shitty purchase for obvious reasons. But that doesn't mean technology doesn't change over time.

Thats the point retard.
Most laptops can't play heavy stuff without shutting down.

I'll say something very unpopular, but the best laptops are Macs.
Literally every single brand skimps on the most important part of a laptop, the battery. Every single fucking laptop, even the non gayman ones have absolute trash batteries.

I don't know if it's related to shit hardware or macs just have really really optimized software that consumes no power, but goddamn those things last forever.
Dual boot it with linux and you can pretty much play anything you want with a really nice screen, decent hardware and a thing that weighs basically nothing.

Don't buy a new one however, but I'm sure there's truckloads of slightly older macs you can get for 50% off the official price.

Most laptops have built in heat controls that don't let it go past a certain point anyways. The only way a laptop would shutdown outright is if something came out of nowhere and revved up the engine so fast that it hit 100c before the automated control system could catch up.
In short, most modern laptops will just drop 10fps when reaching dangerously high temps to cool the components rather than just running until it gets bluescreened.

well i may be wrong but i have the belief that running a computer at max load and at high temps, not saying over the limit but just high, all the time reduces its lifetime

There are worse problems than the colors. With gaymen laptops the battery life is shit and the thermals are too. I have one that I replaced the thermal pads and thermal paste in, but it still needs the fan cranked up to "hair dryer" level to get decent temps under load.

I think I'm giving up on laptops in the future. You always take them to a destination and plug them in because of the shit battery so may as well do a Micro-ATX build that's small and portable. The nCase M1 looks promising. You can even do watercooling in it so you don't have to worry about the tiny space causing shitty temps or demanding a ton of fan noise to stay cool. You can get a little padded bag for it that fits all your accessories too. That's what I'll probably switch to in the future because gaymen laptops even with tons of fans in them, even if you keep them clean, even when you replace the pads and paste, just can't keep it cool with reasonable noise. The more-compact form factor of laptop hardware costs a lot more as well, although if I'm doing a fully liquid cooled build in an M1 case that's probably gonna cost an arm and a leg as well. Worth it for the low noise and decent temps IMO. That's what I've been looking into and anyone capable of building a system should probably consider it over laptops.

lolno
Nonmodular laptops have shit builds that exists only to heat up. You need an external fan to play modern games on one.

Your laptop would have to be completely clogged with dust for that to happen. My laptop stays around 60 to 65 under load, 70 if I really push it.

haha funny meme my friend!

haha! Well said fellow user!
We real gamers play Fallout 4 and other similar games

haha great meme fellow imageboard user

Well I mean you are advocating for poorly optimized triple or double A trash so you know, you are a fucking retard either way

i never advocated for poorly optimized triple or double A trash. i just dont like literally unplayable boring pieces of shit.

Not all indie games that require poor hardware fall in that category

Maybe if you're using an older laptop that uses nothing but lowest-end parts(ex: My first laptop used a GT 310m, I didn't even know that Nvidia card numbers could go as low as that until I got that laptop). But a lot of modern gaming laptops use desktop grade hardware and cool just fine.
I pull up a random gaming laptop, the MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro in this case and look up a review on YouTube. Just like I said, it controls the heat. In a heavy benchmarking program the laptop stayed between 70-75c at all times. Overheating is an old meme that doesn't happen anymore, similar to AMD CPUs catching on fire. Hasn't happened since the Athlon days and even then I can't find any reports of outright fire, just burning smells coming from them. If your gaming laptop(or any laptop for that matter) was made later than 2010 and it's heat is exceeding 80c, then one of the following has happened:

most indie games are shit too

That's a big fat lie and you need to play more indie games that aren't famous on reddit

name em faggot

Most anything in general is shit. Books, movies, music and even games. Shouldn't stop you from looking for the good ones.

What genre do you want?
Earthlock
Stasis
Odallus
Stories path of destinies
Obduction
Headlander
Blockhood
Orwell
Dead Secret
Final Station
Stories Untold
House of the dying sun
Scanner sombre
Butcher
Pyre
Beat Cop
Gonner
Project Highrise
Furi
Everspace
Beholder
Aviary Attorney
Distrust
Time Recoil
Immortal Redneck

I literally have 300+ games in my wishlist at the moment and they're all indies

Thats why you do your research before purchasing, some handle thermals well and others don't.
Speaking of, the Lenovo Legion Y720 seems nice despite the flashy red/black

MSI always has good thermals

Your mother would cut off her own dick in shame if she knew you were this bad at bait

Because gaymen laptops appeal to a very tiny and niche market of primarily retards, and because of that they design their laptops with flashy gaymer aesthetics like RGB lighting and shit.

The rest of the laptop market can be split into two categories, the normalfags and the businessman. Normalfags gravitate towards thin & light designs, primarily Macbooks because they need a status symbol, or because they just want a fagbook machine. Businessmen don't really give a shit about laptops and usually are given one by their company and they are usually Thinkpads or Elitebooks, which are more capable than their thin & light counterparts at the cost of aesthetics so normalfags don't even touch them.

Then there is the even tinier group of raging computer autists who usually go for Thinkpads pre-x220 so they can have perfect freedom machines to watch anime on like me

Are you fucking retarded? MSI's laptops are known to have shit thermals and reliability. Especially the GE series.

As far as gaymer aesthetic goes, MSI is the most autistic looking.

Where did the MSI touch you, user?

Whats a good bedside laptop?

You just lost this one, champ. I don't even play games on a laptop and I had to pop in here and say you're not helping your cause.

why so many mentions of the X220?

what can you faggots run on that thing?

Why do such a vast majority of gaymin laptops have red/black color scheme?
to appeal to 13 year olds or waste money/space on RGB lighting

unironically this. I hate apple and I don't have any of their products, but they really are the only ones squeezing as much battery life out of the hardware as possible. Linux can't because of the variety of hardware and lack of information shared with the devs, windows doesn't partly because of hardware, but mostly because it's full of pajeet code.

SAGER gives you a lot of customization options without alienware prices. It'd still be cheaper to build your own desktop, but if I were to get a laptop I'd probably go with them.

Do you suck off your military bros ha ha just wondering I don't meant to offend it would be hot seeing you get your ass pounded by a hot stud ha ha

Does anyone actually use their laptop for gaming without plugging it in first? Why would you use battery when it chops your performance roughly in half? It's fucking pointless.

Get with the fucking times man. You can make a decent PC that fits in a lunchbox nowadays. Just carry m+kb with you and as long as your destination has a display which means any TV or monitor with HDMI compatibility, you're fine.

I used to have an Asus N72 gaymen i7 laptop, but Nvidia rolled out an update to purposely overvolt the Powermizer chip around driver version 172 or so and overheated the cunt to death

nowadays there no discrete GPU in laptops and mobility cards use this hybrid shit where they let the i7 do the heavy lifting and they are more of a graphics co-processor than anything, so they are not worth the price imo

these days I have a nvidia k4000 quadro so I am a retard who hasn't learned my fucking lesson so take this with a grain of salt

Just stop this crap. They barely cut it for office work and pretty much the skinny, unreliable brother of the PC.

n-vidia 10-series cards have the same power in laptops and in desktops, grandpa

But not the same cooling, placement away from other parts, construction, cabling, power supply, space, ability to replace or anything else.
What are you going to do once your puny piece of plastic starts overheating ? Oh is that a performance drop ? On your laptop twice as expensive as his equivalent in PC parts ? With a smaller screen, shittier keyboard and horrendous placement and the ever so great bonus of abysmal repair costs.

You have to be braindead to defend buying that crap unless you are really travelling a lot.

This guy gets it. The point of a gaming laptop isn't to be able to play any game, on any settings, for 8 hours on a single charge. The point is to have a powerful gaming computer that's easy to pack up and take with you. Just look at the difference in shit you need.
Gaming Laptop:
Gaming Desktop:
>Headphones and/or speakers No one uses monitor speakers, if you claim you do, you're a fucking liar
The point is to have a gaming computer you can plug-in anywhere with much less hassle.

It's a luxury item. If you're buying one with the last of your savings, you're doing it wrong.

Holla Forums truly is the last bastion of sanity on this accursed site.

proofs?

the 9 series was a huge disappointment in terms of not actually being able to render graphics (Optimus chipsets)

It's not for many people. The are a lot of laptop only people. Even if always casuals.

Laptop only people are retards and shouldn't be taken seriously. Anyone with that one-way mentality is a dumbass and their opinion is worth dirt

user, you're not supposed to play video games when you go camping.

why

how do you prevent that shit? is disabling updates enough?

I know companies build they shit so they wont last but thats some 4 dimensional quantum assholery

I'm not an expert on Nvidia's fuckery methods specifically, but I'm willing to bet that it was some fucking spyware that came installed with the laptop and auto updated without consent. The solution is to wipe your laptop when you buy it and install your OS of choice fresh without any additional software. Make sure that you aren't buying some kind of massively Jewed device that can somehow circumnavigate this. This is another reason I advocate for compact PCs instead of laptops if you insist on portable gaymen.

and how do you deal with the drivers issue? can those include some jew spyware capable of doing the deed?

I haven't yet seen a driver that has an updater embedded directly into it. There is always another program that does it, which makes it easier for the manufacturer to update many different devices automatically. If you remove all the nVidia software which is not the driver itself, you should be fine. Failing that you'll have to monitor your net traffic over time and check the logs. Even if no update is released, the updater will have to use your bandwidth to check for updates. Once you find the outlier you can track it down and erase it or just block it from your network.

Who gives a shit honestly, where are you that you can't find an outlet at any given spot? Africa?

I use it for webdev and processing videos on my HP Workstation

However, I still use proprietary software such as games and drivers because I actually enjoy quality of life with my hardware and I'm not a freetard

firewalling update servers from %WINDIR%/etc/hosts is the only sane way to do it on modern Windows

I installed Gentoo and therefore choose which driver I actually use, but *nix is not for everyone, obviously

If I wanted a facebook machine I'd install linux on a chromebook, it lasts 10 hours with a tab of youtube open and playing, and is a thousand dollars cheaper than getting a Mac.

For what fucking purpose? What the fuck does anyone need Apple's shitty botnet for? Anybody who's used a dualboot long enough will tell you what a fucking hassle it is to switch anytime you want to access files on the other OS if you've got either of them encrypted. And you really ought to be encrypting if you're taking that laptop anywhere. And if you aren't taking it anywhere just get a desktop.

Shit post, user.

I actually dig the shit out of Red and Black as color scheme in general, but holy shit is it fucking obnoxious on computers and shit. Especially when they put these pointless ridges on everything. It's a fucking laptop, not a fucking racecar.

They just put the overdo the design on them to justify the price markup. It doesn't cost them anything extra. They just figure that if the computer looks more expensive, retards will think the inflated price is justified.