Saturday Night Horror Thread - End of the World Edition

Ah well, maybe it were the same people as in 2012.

>Still images - could games with largely static screens like Scratches still have a chance on the modern market?

Other urls found in this thread:

websdr.org/
1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift
store.steampowered.com/app/448580/Dead_End_Road/
ghosttowns.com/states/co/schofield.html
picosong.com/wwN7b/
youtu.be/9cTzVjLtNSg
archive.is/URpJM
aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-64-official-soundtrack
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think I'd make it like My Summer Car as far as the setting goes of country-side roads. The objective would be to get from point A to point B for some reason, but weird and downright creepy shit happens between then at random intervals. For instance, I would include something like the following.

If you haven't guessed it yet, I didn't make that story up myself. I heard it from my Uncle who said he heard it from somewhere himself. That's really fucking creepy if you ask me.

Spooky

that's a decent idea, a horror game where you're trying to get from A to B but you're in a junker so you regularly have to get out and scavenge for parts & fuel to keep you going.

I'd nope right the fuck out of there at top speeds
I've heard stories that apparently some gangs will get a woman to scream and cry for help behind a persons house in the woods, and when the homeowner goes out to help her they're swarmed by several gang members who were using her as bait
Scary shit

Good idea, actually. You're always torn between noping the fuck out off the gas station/ settlement you're currently in or getting out of the protection of your car in order to gather supplies before the rest of the population wakes up

Good spooky theme right here

I like it. You're always risking something when you get out of your car to look for supplies, but at the same time you'll almost definitely die if your junker dies on you because you didn't look for supplies when you had the chance.

You'd be able to replicate the real world feeling of anxiety and frustration when getting a tyre puncture perfectly in this kind of game. Having to get out of your car to quickly put your spare on or risking driving on a ruined tyre to the next town & hope to god there's a mechanics workshop that easy to get to.

The problem with this kind of game is that it would be a very easy candidate for a procedurally generated piece of shit. This would need the resources & time available to fully craft the world and make sure each town was different and had different risks.

Imagine the option to play with friends is added, but you have to go pick them up, and with increased number of players the nights get more dangerous with more risky events and less supplies so you need to cover more ground in exchange for added speed in fixing things and having a lookout
Also the people in the towns get agitated faster because there's more newcomers about

True. And then imagine the sound of bricks hitting your pants when you decided to forego the previous settlement only to realize that your fuel runs out / your car stops for another reason while you're right down in the middle of a dark forest. Forcing you to take an extremely fucking risky first-person stroll through said forest, with minimum visibility, high audibility, and very high chance to get assraped by things you don't even want to imagine.

Kinda like - and I hate to use this particular example - running out of energy/fuel in Five Nights at Fagbears, where you instantly know that the trigger conditions for your impending doom has just been activated.

Also, if we're at this: Any idea how to add number stations as a gameplay element for a horror (adventure) game, besides of making them spooky background sounds?

I would prefer that the trigger conditions for the player getting assraped is a bit obscured and not readily available as like a gas meter or something. 100% knowing if you're absolutely fucked is gay, I think it would be neat to maintain that desperate hope for survival.

I think it's important to include the option for the player to fight off threats. It would be tempting to make this a no-combat game where if your car fails you have to hope that the RNG doesn't fuck you as you walk to the nearest settlement. Limited car supplies & limited ammunition would go hand in hand, could also add to the tension since you'd have to decide whether or not you could afford to both buy supplies for your car & 2-3 shotgun shells, or if you had to hope you had a clean run to the next town without needing to expend ammunition.

Nothing kills a horror game faster (to me) than being unable to fight back against enemies

Make them play morse code or like Glover
>At the castle where you start, go left to the owl swing by the tree. Press A and he will make eight sounds: Fart, Burp, Cluck, or Hiccup. Then, press Start and copy each sound he made in order using the following button for each sound to receive a code. Press C-Left for the Fart sound. Press C-Up for the Burp sound. Press C-Right for the Cluck sound. Press C-Down for the Hiccup sound. -From: [email protected]

Am I a faggot for getting Outlast this weekend and playing it?

It's actually my first experience with horror games, aside from 20 minutes trying to get amnesia: tdd to run. So far it's alright, I don't find myself being paranoid outside of the game like I imagined I would, but there are situations that make the adrenalin flow.

also it's free on humble bundle for a while longer, if you're interested

Let me rephrase: If you embark in a settlement, there's a moderate chance of monsters spawning. For all you know, the place could be entirely safe. Getting out of your car while inside of the woods on the other hand would have a very high chance of monsters spawning; effectively launching a very limited timer to find fuel or parts before the rapetrain arrives.

Certainly, but survival horror games inherently are built around the concept of not having enough resources to deal with all enemies. That's where the balance act comes in again - if you skip exploring that city, you might still have enough resources to make it to the night. Except you maybe may not, and gods fucking help you if your car drops dead in the middle of the road.

Number stations as encoded help guides actually sounds nice, especially if you initially don't have the slightest fucking clue as to what they mean, and if they only occur sporadically.

Speaking of number stations, here's an opportunity to listen in: websdr.org/
Basically glorified web ham radio.

Yeah the best survival horror always contains barely enough resources to finish the game, I just hate these "horror" games where you only defence against enemies is to hide in cupboards or just run until the AI gives up. I can't enjoy a horror game unless my death can be, in some way, combated via skill. I've never understood the fascination with games like amnesia because there are 2 states, either your hidden or your being chased. Having to actively fight off an enemy and using up your resources while doing it adds more variables to each encounter

Anyone know or remember Night Shift from halfchan /tg/? A game based on those scenarios would be spectacular.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift

i think there was an SNES version, but dunno if it was fan-translated

I used to work night shift at a gas station, though it was in a busy vacation town by the sea
Taking out the trash was always very scary, you could hear the ocean in the distance and the dumpsters were pitch black
Every now and then we'd find a knife lying under the dumpsters, and despite always removing them, next week there'd be a new one

Who makes webm's this small and actually thinks they're doing anyone any favors? Fuck's sake, somebody should be beaten for this.

I cried a little

The real question is who thinks the video itself is scary? All good horror relies on building up to something, and anyone who's used a car navigation system knows that "it's taking him further from populated areas" isn't a scary buildup, but rather the basic way the pieces of shit function. The other one with slenderman is just flat out boring.

The game shouldn't be too predictable, either.
In other words, no player should go, "Oh, I recognize this town from my last playthrough. A guy will come out of that shed and hunt me down." I think it will be better if there is a random chance that a scenario will happen at any given point, even while driving (Creature appears at the side of the road. Getting too close will cause it to damage your car). Same for a village if there is one in the game. 30%-40% chance that an enemy will be inside of a house. Adds to the suspense and takes away from the predictability.

Scary or not, in this day and edge, this shit is unacceptable.

That's what we were talking about the randomly generated terrain feature earlier. Atop of that, I would expect each subsequent town would have a higher chance to spawn monsters, or more monsters at any rate.

If I may add something:
the difficulty setting of the game could be directly tied to the vehicle that the player starts with. For example, a car with relatively high reliability, high off-road capability, and high top speed, like the range rover sport or a jeep would be the easy difficulty, while a hard difficulty would be a 10+ year old car with poor mpg and mediocre tires. Nightmare mode would just be a 21 speed bicycle. This way the player would have different limitations depending on the vehicle, either they have to use the main roads because their care can't handle the rougher back roads (blocking off potential escape routes or faster routes), or they have to make more frequent stops for gasoline and spare parts.

I would say that a heavy focus on monsters or paranormal is unnecessary, Not everything needs to be a ghost or skinwalker, just the occasional deer jumping in front of your car across the road or some asshole going way too fast trying to pass you could help make the game more sympathetic, and then more unnerving when weird shit does go down.

Losing control of the car at high speeds and geographical accidents could be cool too, to avoid the road's linear route

I'd rather have a modified version of the scene from In the Mouth of Madness where they keep driving by the same kid on his bike. The first time you pass him, it's a normal looking kid. Every subsequent time you pass him, he's looking a little worse off (tears on clothes, bike is scraped/damaged, tears and cuts on the kid's body). Pass him enough times, and he's gone insane and attacks.

Do you wanna be my friend?

That's a good idea. I am not meaning in a fetishist way, either. It would leave you completely vulnerable, but you have to do it.

The gamer would become uncomfortable trying not to shit himself, making him slower

Reminded me of embed related and this thread is fucking amazing and spooky as fuck so far. Keep up the ideas lads. Let's hope one of us is good with unity or some other 3d engine.

you see them later on a road you are on

Tabletop games are shit user, video games are superior in every way. Nobody here should remember /tg/ faggotry.

While it would force the player to make themselves vulnerable, a problem is that it often leads to the player micromanaging a bunch of different status bars, which I think is more frustrating and annoying than challenging/scary. Also, if I am driving through bumfuck USA and i hear a skinwalker screaming in the middle of the night, I am not going to stop to take a pee. I am going to use my trusty pee bottle and keep fucking driving. I'd say it would be more reasonable to require the player to stop for food/water/gas if they are embarking on a trip that's 250+ miles.

Side thought:
Should the player be restricted to travelling at nighttime? Consider that the objective is to travel a certain distance, but the play has only 7 days to travel that distance. Differences in the locations between night and day time should be important when the player is planning out their route. Maybe requiring the player to sleep at some point would encourage them to find a safe place before dark. If they decided not to sleep, they might have to deal with problems, like their vision goes blurry, or they find it harder to drive in a straight line, or they start hearing/seeing things that aren't there. This means that a player could drive for a long time without stopping to sleep, but they gradually are forced to find a safe haven of some sort. However, this shouldn't mean that the player only sleeps at night and drives during the day. Maybe they don't have enough time to stop for rest, or maybe something wakes them up in the night, and they have to run away from it (whatever it may be). This means that a player would have to drive at night time, probably at a very hurried pace. At the same time, the player could also face different challenges during the daytime, maybe certain types of monsters only appear in the daytime, and if the player wants to avoid them, they have to drive at night. Additionally, there could also be weather events, like fog, rain, snow, or high winds, all of which would affect a player's visibility, traction, top-speed, and could outright cause them to crash. To top it all off, certain monsters could also spawn during particular weather events (a yeti during a blizzard, or some sort of spectre in a thick fog).

correction,
should probably be

I don't know why this was part of Local58. It's not news-themed horror at all, it's just found dashcam footage.

That sounds like a good idea, what other incidents did you think about putting in?
Maybe the radio getting fucky, playing jarring noise, or whispering (you know it's talking but you can't make out what they are saying.) static or maybe something like a EAS detailing some horrific cataclysm. and what about your rear view mirror? check that out every once in awhile, maybe you see a group of people as you said or maybe you see nothing but black, the tail lights are working but the darkness is too thick.

Or maybe just a uninvited guest.

That picture is doing me a bother friend.

That shit is the most vanilla post apocalyptic ambush.
Literal niggers do this right the fuck now, somewhere in the world.

Yeah, i was thinking if it was going to be made, it shouldn't be Post-Apocalypse, things should be fine (not for you of course)

The difference between driving on highways and your classical spooky mud road through the middle of major highways also could be made by having the former much more likely to generate encounters while those in the forest are rarer ("lower population density") but also much more dangerous. Or, alternatively, forest roads act as shortcuts.

It's pretty scary though, isn't it? Maybe if it weren't niggers doing it, but cultists or something.

Oh it was! This is great news

I really like what we've got here so far folks. A driving sim in a world that's not quite so normal, with eerie shit happening to the player with varying frequency. I feel like if we had some sort of malevolent entity that was bending reality and out to get you it would be really spoopy. Not in the sense that it's obvious but maybe more of a silent hill-esque nightmare. So the radio might occasionally turn on and start playing static and whispering to you, it might be sunny all of the sudden and then a thunderstorm starts, items in your car might get moved around while you aren't looking, people you meet aren't quite right, and it will be trying to trick you.

You might be driving down a country road in-between cornstalks and suddenly people just slowly walk out and start to walk towards your car. Like an entire village. And this happens with no sound cue, nothing to make the player be like "oh the dev meant this to happen" but like a spontaneous event as if it happened in real life. To really make the horror feel more dynamic, you can have sequences where you're just driving down a nice country road in broad daylight and listening to the radio (I'm thinking maybe two or three channels, one being like a series of talk shows that slowly get more unsettling as your journey progresses. Also some country music channel with no announcer, and it just broadcasts cheery country music, but sometimes there are long gaps between songs for no apparent reason. The real kicker is if the audio slows down and speeds up at random intervals, perhaps as a result of the entity fucking with you. It could also be a good in-game audio cue that bad things are happening, as to not take away from the immersion.

For towns, pre-made is a must. A randomly generated world, unless it was strictly coded, would probably suck. The ideal imo, would be having small towns that are created by the developer, and as said above, events are randomized. Perhaps also insides of houses are randomly generated.

Some nice easter eggs to make things weird would be glimpses of things that are not quite right that only observant people might notice. Like when you're driving a UFO or something might flash by for a second or two in your rear-view mirror.

I feel as if the main problem with developing this game might be that it's fairly graphics reliant to create a feeling of immersion, along with some clever programming tricks. I don't think it would be very spoogy if you get some shitty low-polygon human looking thing to chase after you in the T-position.

The more blank-faced and emotionless they are when they get up and look at the character, the better.

store.steampowered.com/app/448580/Dead_End_Road/

It captures that PS1 look look that lets your imagination fill in the blanks. It's kinda tough to beat though. I wanna beat it at somepoint but it's one of those games that has patterns you have to learn to really make it through to the end in one piece.

well fug

the top review:

The idea of a horror driving simulator is actually pretty novel. Though there are a few observations I'd like to make. Not trying to be a fuddy duddy so take everything with a grain of salt.

Survival Horror and Resource management can be used great for tension, but also funnel games into a particular design and players into particular behavior. If the game is around keeping my junker running, and I have more than enough supplies to risk a 'dangerous getaway' scenario, why would I ever risk not stopping to cap off my supplies? I have the best chance of getting away while I have tons of supplies. Conversely if I don't have enough then I have to stop for supplies where I can find them anyways. So, really either way players are going to stop whenever possible to scavenge for supplies. Which of course could be used to the games advantage depending on design. Imagine 'zones' of risk with subtle and not so subtle indicators of when you are in them. Such as the radio going from normal to mild static to heavy static to odd messages. So if nothing is happening the player knows they can stop for supplies or repairs with near zero risk, however not knowing how long a particular shitshow is going to last they might risk popping out early in the events to top off just in case, and only search the area if something bad happens later. Couple this with designing 'search locations' that are inherently more or less risky than others and you have a good system for player risk assessment and decision making. This would involve towns or gas stations to be inherently less risky (though driving and thinking 'oh good a town' only to get there and see everything boarded up, nobody around, and even a sign that says 'do not stop' would be effective) while secluded houses and tourist traps are slightly riskier but a sane person might actually still go there if the lights are on, with riskier areas being broken down motorists trying to flag you down looking to trade supplies.

There is also the problem of actually playing a driving simulator that's supposed to be a long burn spook fest. I'm certain that some people will enjoy it, but they already play euro truck simulator. The point being that the game would be intrinsically long and a bit boring. Design decisions would have to be made to make the game at least somewhat interactive while nothing is going on. This might involve mechanics as 'setting cruise control' so that the game drives automatically while you the player attend to things in the car. Such as consulting your map/gps and choosing a route. And though I'm loath to say it. Quick Time Events might actually be a good mini-game for driving. Like, you get some food to go and you get a quick, simple mini game to eat and drink while still driving. Or perhaps even when you start to get sleepy you do a little quick time event to slap yourself awake, turn on the radio and mess with the AC. Just little distractions. Made so that if you mess them up your character spills their drink, knocks something over, or otherwise has their attention pulled away from the road and allowing a chance of something bad happening. Maybe nothing at all, maybe swerving into the other lane or shoulder for a second, maybe hit a pothole and need to change a tire, maybe hit a deer and need to do some quick repairs, maybe when you look up you catch a glimpse of something on the side of the road.

Now personally, I'm a big fan of subtle horror and would absolutely love a game where you can get through with minimal or even no scares if you play right. However often times that seems to be relegated to people who have played the game countless times or have read a wiki showing every trick and tactic. For a cross country road trip I think there's plenty of opportunity to put hints into the actual game to help players. NPC interaction doesn't need to be fancy, but it could lead to a lot of interesting game-play possibilities. Stop at a town and talk to the locals to possibly gleam an idea of what routes are safest and even what you'll be running into next. Maybe the town is all in on it and trying to funnel you somewhere, though you notice that the trustworthy looking ones and the shady looking ones all really suggest a route that looks secluded and dangerous. Stopping at a truck stop for a little sit down meal to calm your nerves might have you find a trucker with tips to get through the area safely, or maybe even a CB radio signal to call (if you managed to find one) in an emergency. Maybe you simply hear that the local legend is of the chupacabra and hear that it doesn't like being near people and avoids them. Well then if you get a flat you need to fix then you know that its unlikely that you'll actually be attacked by anything, but anyone who didn't find out about that will freak out at the creature they caught a glimpse of or heard in the distance.

Speaking of attacking. There's a bit of a lot of problems with both keeping the player completely non-combative and able to attack and defeat/drive off/kill enemies. If a player is completely unable to defend themselves, they basically assume their only choice is to run, hide from or avoid the monster. Conversely when a player is given weapons, everything kind of starts looking more like a target, however it will often embolden them to explore since they actually do have a means of defending themselves. A while ago, when Two Best Friends did a play-through of Until Dawn, one of them made a comment of 'i feel like i'm stocking up my good choices and my success later will depend if i've gotten enough'. Which was an interesting concept, though ultimately not the case. Though I think for a game like this, a much more interesting system for players would be to have weapons that aren't' so much about combat, but as 'get out of trouble free' items. Such as walking around with your tire iron allows you to crack a crazed maniac across the face and get away even if they got the drop on you. Or having a cross to chase away some evil spiritual force trying to take you over. Notably I'd balance the system so that first time in an 'encounter' the player isn't going to lose the item they used for self defense, but it resets the mob to an area not to far away, and every time they meet the thing after increases the chance of losing whatever they have on them for self defense.

How about a flare gun?
Seems inconvenient enough to keep players on their toes with it, yet providing a good way to scare off a creature or a few, close to each other group.
Make the reload time long, and have few different flares: the classic red one, one that lights up after some seconds of being shot (for decoy) and maybe give the player the option to repurpose shotgun shells for their flare gun.
I like the idea of different cars for dinner difficulty settings, but what about making the gear shifting manual?

Even better:

I don't think you even need a gun at that point. A simple flare would do wonders. That's a pretty strong chemical fire.

It could also give an item multiple usages. Use the flare and drop it on the road then hop back in your vehicle and wait for a motorist to come help, light it up as a light source while exploring in a pinch, or light it up and stick it in some horrors face to burn it and get away.

Having to push two buttons rhythmically for how long? That sounds like a bit of a chore.

Though the idea of the shift of gears being entirely manual on the player sounds about right. I'm wondering if the game could be designed such that when you start driving it's a very hardcore sim as far as controls are going, but after a bit of driving (presumably towards safety) it allows you to set most things to automatic so the player can spend their time planning and paying attention to the environment.

does michigan: report from hell emulate without issues?

i think team silent was the kind of thing that can only happen once. there's no getting it back.

you could have a decryption mechanic of some sort similar to the silver case or some sort of codec/radio frequency system. or maybe ghosts are in tune with different frequencies.

The point of the shotgun shells is that they only make noise, as opposed to a giant red light.
Good against humanoid targets since most times won't be able to track your exact location just by noise.
I really like the idea of noise and light detection used separately. Not many games do this.

i'd like to see a driving game that incorporates how stressful and scary it is to drive on a shitty road. there could also be a pubg-esque deathwall in order to add an inherent need to be making progress at a certain pace.
>ghosttowns.com/states/co/schofield.html

I want to hug every single one of you. No homo.

Good horror is for superior minds, i'm convinced.
What's your game gonna be like?

To many horror games are reliant on startling you and telling a creepy pasta to set the mood. It isn't surprising that the reaction is more important than the experience for most people.

A lot of horror devs want to scare the player. They have no respect for the fear a person might feel for themselves so there's always the long haired ghost girl ready to flash a game over scene.

That's kind of why the idea of a spooky driving simulator seems so appealing. Just knowing something COULD happen would make every tire change, every stop to put water in the radiator, and every attempt to replace an engine part very tense. Which makes things like paying attention to details beforehand so much more important. Are you dealing with killer hillbillies, a skinwalker, a ghost? If you paid attention before you notice the signs and are largely safe, if a bit spooked, if not then bad things could happen.

I'd love for harmless scares to happen too, like the classic hitchhiker ghost that just disappears. Especially if hitchhikers are a source of extra money 9 times out of 10. A spook 90% of that one remaining time and a bad end the remaining percent.

Turboautistic nightmare mode: Horse

Let me tell you how a game that's not even based on horror literally scared me to tears once.
Somehow the idea of dying alone and away from everything is terrifying to me.

See, if that were made by your standard horror developer, the black hole would be playing a screeching pig sound and you'd be attacked by slenderman in a space helmet. After reading about how they were dragged into a black hole.

Good ideas from both of you. I particularly like the idea of quick time events for certain situations which will make your playthrough much easier if you ace them (The QTE's should be difficult). I also like the idea of unreliable NPC guides who may give you false information in order to deceive you, or may just give you information that they think is true when it really isn't. It should require logical reasoning to figure out whether the NPC is reliable or not.

As for the idea of difficulty, I think the type of car you use shouldn't be tied to any particular difficulty. Rather, the difficulty should only increase the distance you need to travel and the frequency of problems you'll encounter, whether it be faulty parts or towns with potential dangers in them. As for weapons, I think they should be used sparingly. The idea of weapons being a sort of safety blanked is really nice as it would help convince users to explore and take more risks, even if the weapon turns out to be useless (misfires, breaks upon use, jamming, etc)
I wouldn't want to see cheap scares in the game, such as jump scares or loud noises. I'd allow the radio to go funky and screech if you're in a really shitty area, but if that's the case, I'd also want an option to use some sort of tool to pry the radio out of the car. One more thing: I think sleeping should be a big part of the game. Going too long without sleep will be dangerous, causing QTE's to prevent yourself from dozing off to pop up more frequently until every two seconds you get a QTE. You can decide to sleep at truck stops, but there's a chance that you'll be robbed. You can sleep at an abandoned village or farm, but you may encounter some freaky stuff, etc.

There's a pretty spooky scene that's just made for this kinda game.

Stay away.

I like the idea of abandoning your car and losing all the resources you got inside if you have to switch vehicles for some unexpected attack, forcing you to begin from scratch, underleveled

Are there any horror games that capture subtle but amazing creepiness like this?

Spectacular idea

I think it's better being jumped at random when you're in the middle of buying shit

So basically we've re-imagined Jalopy with a couple changes in the setting and a few gimmicky horror aspects?

The first Dead Space got that right. The area with the store and crafting bench is usually a safe area. Except for one fucking time, right in the middle of the game. And it never happens again. Great scare.

That one didn't do anything for me. This one actually creeps me out a bit because I imagine a desperate fight between people who are already under its control and sane people fighting for control of the broadcast equipment to warn people until the only people left are either under its control or dead.

I would like to think that turning off your car and sleeping till morning could always be a semi-viable option. Just make sure that you keep quiet and out of sight.

Though I do wonder if the game would benefit or be hindered by a day/night cycle and a very long distance. On the one hand you can get a real sense of time passing and give the player an extra factor of when they should be leaving the vehicle to search, maybe even presenting them areas like abandoned towns and stores during the daytime. The only problem that comes up is why would you ever continue to drive at night?

Maybe have a game where you drive a route one way in the daytime, and are driving back in the evening/night. Thus giving the player a chance to see where landmarks and locations are so they can make better choices on the way back? Though I think you could also just explain that whoever the player character is needs to be at a new city by morning for their job or something, and only finishes work by dusk. Maybe giving a lecture at a bigger city center or something. With giving up on getting to the next city basically forfeiting the money you would have made and basically making it harder to make it through the next night. In fact, getting some cash at the start of a trip, and being able to hit up various places in a major city for real high quality repairs and picking up supplies early at the expense of starting the trip later in the evening to night time would be an interesting risk/reward decision.

You a literally just describing Jalopy at this point, my man.

Did Jalopy involve driving through americana horror and trying to survive physical and spiritual threats?

No quadsman, it involved something worse.
The Eastern Bloc.

Checked, and no, but absolutely every mechanic everyone has brought up not related to horror in specific is in Jalopy. Route setting, parts breaking down, forced to go outside of your car to fix said parts, risk/reward involving the getting of said parts by choosing between longer/more dangerous off-road routes, cities in-between places that you can restock with more and higher quality items, road-side stops with information and items, car maintenance & cleaning, risk/reward involving day/night cycle, and gaining money both from things found on the road and jobs, etc..

The Eastern Bloc is kind of scary on its own though.

Well the basic idea of the game would obviously be a bad car sim. And those are the exact kind of mechanics you would expect for a game like that.

Though, if we want to turn things around. I could also imagine a game where you have to play as a gas station attendant in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. You worked your shift but the asshole who was supposed to relieve you hasn't shown up yet, so you're told by your boss to stay until he can get someone out there. Then the game is just a basic job sim in a kind of spooky setting as strange things happen. A bum keeps showing up on the property, apparently a clown convention is going on somewhere down the road and car after car of them show up. Slowly having things get more bizarre until legitimately strange and scary things start to happen. Maybe a cheap motel instead of a gas station. I dunno, I like the idea of finding the horror of everyday work. Mostly because I worked as a night janitor for an elementary school and I want others to feel my pain.

My point is that if you took Jalopy, changed the setting to a more woodland area, and added SCP-like monsters it'd be exactly like everyone is describing with no other changes. And regarding your paragraph, isn't there a /tg/ boardgame or something that has that exact premise?

/tg/ already made that, look up Night Shift

Oh ho, this had my curiosity, but now it has my interest.

there are only 3 vids? its pretty cool

Did they make a vidya or just a setting for a game?

Yeah, looks like it's just a game setting.

Forgot what board I was on, sorry for getting your hopes up.

What about a SHTF scenario where you only have a shitty motorcycle? More vulnerability on a motorcycle. Someone can whip a rock at you then jump you after you wipe out.

I'm never one to look down on a fun pen and paper scenario. Though looking through the wiki and '100 best scenarios' they didn't put much effort into creepy long term for a lot of these. They're all kind of direct. Still a concept that could go places very easily.

I'm aware the DM would have to be responsible for putting subtle bits into the campaign, but almost all the scenarios are kind of 'defeat the monster' settings. Where I think it would make more sense to make the goal of each session to simply make it through the night without being fired. Sure, have combat stats for self defense, but I think actually introducing stats like window cleaning, stock refilling, and various other mundane tasks to allow the players to finish faster or more efficiently and dedicate more time to staying safe would be a better set up.

Great, now I'm picturing a bunch of gas station attendant classes like 'loafer' and 'manager' that get bonuses to certain types of work or events. Like a level 4 manager gets access to a set of keys for things while the college student at level 8 can both research occult phenomena and perform mundane store work at the same time.

The disappointing this is that's how it started out, once it started to drift into shit is when I stopped paying attention to the threads. I haven't read over it in a long time so I didn't realize it devolved that far.

A friend of mine who used to go to highschool with me once told me about how he was working the night shift at a gas station and this one weird guy would keep coming in. It's a long story, but apparently the weird guy was living in my friend's basement covertly for a month or two until he found out. Creepy.

Since this is the horror vidya thread, it actually got me thinking about an idea for a horror game that could be interesting: Basically, you play as a ninja in modern Japan who is tasked with a typical assassination of a target, but with it going to shit fast when said target unleashes an ancient evil that basically fills the entire city the game takes place in with darkness, Japanese demons and the like before it goes off to be a dick. Your task then is to make it all the way from one end of the city to the other, and stop this ancient evil from buttfucking all of Japan entirely, without being caught/murdered yourself. You'd have a limited amount of tools to use to either stop lesser demons or get out of hot water, but otherwise you would mainly have to use your own ninja skills to traverse the city and avoid the unholy fuckery that is various actual demons from Japanese folklore to complete your goal, and trying to survive at least half the fucked up shit they actually do like in the myths themselves.

Wasn't there a Ninja Gaiden like that?

I think the gas stations should be different. Some of them have good food items, others just have cheap pre packaged shit. Some of them have bathroom vending machines where you can buy condoms, aspirin, and little first aid kits. Some of them have hookers in the parking lot who may or not be spooks.

Even if some of the hookers are spooks, some of them should still do the same sort of "work". And all hookers, genuine or friendly spook, offer some sort of temporary stat bous or buff in exchange for money.

Now you're just injecting your fetish into the game…
…but i like the idea of friendly spooks

…it's a hot fetish though

Yeah but it makes the whole thing less spooky, doesn't it?

It's still far too early on to have anything cemented, so everything's prone to change, but it's a first-person pixelshit game.
You're a young kid, you run around, solve puzzles, investigate an oversized apartment complex for reasons I haven't quite settled on yet, and you get cellphone calls from dead people.
Not really a lot to say aside from that I've been taking inspiration from Silent Hill and that at the moment thanks to placeholder textures it looks like it takes place on the fucking moon.

So, how do you fucks feel about a game designed to utilize Deviant Art-tier fetishes in a horror form? Because I have a real money maker on the burner here.
The goal here is more of an atmospheric, claustrophobic, and existentialist horror. The story revolves around the concept of the wishes of a NEET for adventure, action, and bloodshed coming true. You fight tooth and nail to survive as each floor is more or less fucking painfully difficult and death sends you back several floors.
I've been working on a few maps for this already but I think it would be a really good way to get funding for an honestly good snuff horror game. This is a track made for the concept: picosong.com/wwN7b/

Are there any games that star like the webm in OP's post?

Post more videos like this and the OP's. I love this kind of shit.

Careful there user, you are wandering into /monster/ turf

door is it closed

It doesnt have to be deadly, but it should unsettle you and maybe fuck you over once in a while.

There is nothing that pisses me off about modern Horror games more than being unable to fight back. Having to make the stressful on the fly decision to either fight and waste precious resources or run and potentially take serious damage or die was a big part of what made Horror games so good. Having a Pyrrhic victory where you're alive but next to no ammo and really low on health, limping around, desperately combing the area for a save spot knowing full well that if you get jumped by enemies you are most likely going to die was so nerve racking and intense. Follow that with the incredible sense of relief when you finally do reach a safe place in one piece and stock up. I don't get that at all in modern Horror, it's all so mindless and un-engaging, I can't get into them anywhere near as much as the original Resident Evil for example. Resource management was a huge part of the genre, without it the games just feel hollow.

Yeah, back when Shattered Memories did it and it was rare it was a neat change. However since a bunch of 'indie' horror games are made on the cheap, they just take out combat entirely and make it so you can't fight back and usually just make their shit a jumpscare maze with a shitty mechanic bolted on.

One of the things I like best in games with resource management is viable alternatives and predictive ability. Sadly it's usually only on the 2nd or 3rd playthroughs that you can even attempt this. In Resident Evil it's basically choosing what weapon to use at what parts. Since some weapons are better than others against certain enemies.

That's why I would love to see a longer term horror game/driving sim that focuses on environmental clues. As I said before, a tire iron might do well to fend off a skinwalker, crazed cult member or other physical threat, but isn't going to do shit to a ghost or demonic entity. Conversely bringing some salt along would be crazy for a possible monster attack but will keep you safe from spiritual attack. You could bring a silver knife with you, which is kind of a catch all, but it's not exactly sturdy. Or, if you think the risk is minimal and you need that extra inventory space, you could bring nothing.

But we all agree that a good horror game needs abnormally tall, thin monsters, no?

Imagine getting out of your cards while in the woods, and then you suddenly realize that some of those trees aren't trees.

I always find it fun trying to id what animal sounds are used in the monster sounds mixing.

Also fuck whatever faggot here recommenced alien isolation, fucking retard.

I always find it fun trying to id what animal sounds are used in the monster sounds mixing.

Holla Forums having a hiccup again?

Yeah, I'm double posting in other threads and it just sits on POSTING: 100%.

Shitty fucking site wouldn't let me post for hours.

OH JANITOR, CLEAN UP ON AISLE 4

No shit. Every year you plan to make a long horror gaming night; every year you just play your regular crap.

So what type of urban legend or folklore figure would you all like to see reproduced in horror games.

Paradoxically I wound up researching a number of japanese urban legends & creepy pastas by way of a doujin and besides your Hachishakusama being just another flavor of the same idea as the slenderman (tall figure that stalks their prey just out of sight) there are some really cool creatures that could be the basis of their own small games, or maybe used in some larger game dealing with just fleeing the countryside.

//// _ ////
B-baka

Yeah, nightshift is a fun setting. Did they ever finish it?

Is Vaccine any good?
I don't mind good b-grade stuff, but it's very hard to tell with b-games whether it works or not. And of course this are useless since a) they're not old enough to remember the games is a throwback too, b) they wouldn't be any good at them if they were, and c) unless the developer is part of the clique it will be ignored anyway
So is Vaccine worth $13 dollarydoos?

does it sound like it's worth $13, user? I remember thinking when this came out that if they weren't lazy fuckers and had just made a normal game it would've been pretty goddam neat, but instead they did what every hack is doing and ended up doing something worse than making a shitty game: they made a shitty game that makes you think the entire time about how it could've actually been good.

Speaking of nostalgia bait, what was the name of that game that had a demo out a while back that was int he style of Silent Hill 1? I thought the guy was turning it into a full game but I'm blanking at its name.

I'd really like to see a Touhou horror game based in the SDM.
I'm sorry for the autism

youtu.be/9cTzVjLtNSg

who would even trust this thing?

Deadly Premonition gets close to a survival horror driving game.

The thing about horror monsters is that normally you shouldn't want to fuck them.

No, and it really didn't back when it was released. Point and Click Horror titles, like Scratches, are a rare breed that, while can produce legitimately scary games, will always find itself amidst a niche audience because it can't be exploited by the Twitch/YouTube community as it requires more than two brain cells to progress in the game and they can slow to a crawl numerous times.

Combined with multiplayer, this can result in some interesting situations.
< "I thought you were going to be eaten!"
< "Fuck, that was the last of the money!"

excuse me?

Yea no that shit's gross. If you fucked that you would puke from the stench.

Agreed

What would be some good factors that could affect that?

what is the best silent hill and why is it 4

Reminds me of this. It really would work well in a horror game.

was it fully ytranslated?
shit, need to get it now

Well shit, now I just want some slice-of-life series in a setting with disgusting abominations and Silent Hill environments, with people occasionally dying horrible deaths but no one batting an eye at it.

Really common urban legend. Also as an user said earlier, niggers do this shit all the time right now. Really common way is to have some sheboon bring her little crotch dropping to your door, smack it around so it starts crying while tyrone and friends wait off to the side, and then as soon as you open the door you get rushed and they beat the shit out of you (rape you if you're a woman, no matter how old) and then steal your shit.

digits

Its hard to feel constant horror for one month.

Nigga that's Shinobi

SH nurse's pussy would probably look as messed up (if not worse) as the face, and the entire thing would probably smell like a rotting corpse.
Also remember that something like that, in real life, would definitely give you a different feeling compared to when you look at it in the games or in pictures, kinda like watching a corpse in a movie or having a real one in front of you, in the first case you may be apathetic towards it, but the latter would surely creep you out.

I was thinking about this concept during my commute (go figure) and I'm thinking there are some really good ideas in this thread but a lot of people are focusing on getting out or stopping the vehicle in order to get the horror in rather than having the horror be on the road. I'm thinking for this game to become more than Jallopy with jump-scares the road itself needs to be your enemy. Roadblocks and being stranded on the open road are scary, but so are aggressive drivers, impairments to vision (headlight going out, bugs splashing on the windshield, fog and heavy rain), and sudden impaired handling on your vehicle (unexpected slicks, roadkill, unexpected bumps when offroad).

Here's what I was thinking for a set-up. You're on the way to X but you are getting tired and decide to stop at a sleepy motel. You go to sleep and wake up to find the motel is deserted and fog has settled in, a la Silent Hill. All you have is your vehicle and a shitty atlas. When you follow the atlas to the closest possible exit out of town you find the road is closed (giant pit in the ground, eldritch abomination blocking the way, spikey vines, what have you) so you must venture deeper into the town to find another way out. As you venture deeper you find aggressive patrols of violent drivers which you have to pull over and turn your headlights off to let pass or race away from and risk running into more trouble. Maybe your radio could be an indicator for an oncoming patrol like mentioned. Beyond the predictable patrols you could have sudden ambushes of trucks with floodlights suddenly appearing out of cornfields or skeleton bikers that appear out of nowhere. All of them trying to drive you off the road with PIT maneuvers or just trying to beat up your ride until you outpace them. Maybe you could have an angry mob roadblock that you can attempt to evade but every time you roadkill one of the fuckers you lose valuable speed and vehicle HP. But I think this concept would benefit from making your car the primary setting for all conflict and action as well as your greatest tool for dispatching and evading threats rather than just a mode of transportation. Otherwise, what's to stop the player from just running from point A to point B picking up loot along the way besides overwhelming distance?

The only resources you'd have to manage I figure would be overall car health, fuel, ammunition and individual HP. Medkits and toolboxes could partially heal you and your car respectively while the only way to top off either health bar would be to visit a mechanic's shop/gas station. As vehicle HP deteriorates your begin to feel the damage in the form of reduced handling, impaired headlights/windshield wipers, nasty noises coming from your engine, flickering headlights. Likewise, individual HP could result in impaired vision, nodding off, and at particularly low health reduced handling due to blood loss.

My point is you can make the player spooked without having them stop and get out of the car. You can provide a feeling of isolation and oppression without taking complete control away from the player. In Silent Hill you have guns and sledgehammers and can fuck up most of the monsters if you have the awareness and skill to do it. That doesn't make it less scary. Likewise you can provide a sense of isolation and oppression while pulling allowing the character to drive their car. Being able to pull disgusting J-turns with expert handbrake usage doesn't change the fact that there's certain doom awaiting you if you slow down.

tl;dr: You can spook the player without forcing them to stop or get out of the vehicle. Putting the meat of the game in roadside encounters and scavenging expeditions OUTSIDE OF THE CAR is dumb and takes away all the punch of the concept.

What PC games would you guys recommend for someone who's completely new to horror vidya?

depends on if you're new to horror in general

Well, there's Amnesia, its ok, but it can be boring. Silent Hill is good. Resident Evil boils down to "zombies." I'd recommend giving Darkwood a try, pirate friendly, short, scary and its hard. Plus there's no jump-scares so its different horror than typical hollywood bullshit you see.

That's news to me.

Off the top of my head:

Open, post-apocalypse world, the apocalypse being when a less than pleasant universe spilled into ours. Objectives could be to bring people together to rebuild some form of civilization, transporting goods between villages of survivors, reuniting relatives, dealing with demagogues and bandits, and exploring abandoned places for useful items. Apart from some key areas, the map should be procedurally generated. Ditto the NPCs. Procedural quests and love interests as well?

Player gains skills (including scavenging, magic, engineering, weapon use) and collects increasingly powerful items (weapons, tools, and magic items, such as wards and books). Instead of hitpoints, has body-parts that can be disabled with single attacks. Get shot in the knee? Oops. Now you limp through the rest of the game – unless you use a spell to fix it, which may or may not have an unexpected side effect/cost. Car crashes damaged repair? Now you're walking, until you find a bike or a new car.

Using magic (spell or item) has chance of causing unintended effect. Magic is dark and hidden, not in-your-face. No fireballs etc. Instead, astral-travel, insanity, hallucinations, evil spirits, body horror, possessions, curses, blessings, etc.

The player would need to eat, sleep, and etc. Going too long without either temporarily depresses scores. Make sure your camp is safe, or you risk waking up with something eating your face (no permadeath). Also has to stay dry and warm (or cool). Player can get sick.

No zombies, vampires, or werewolves (overused beyond belief). Wildlife behaves like real wildlife; leaves you alone unless provoked (or possessed). No scripted jumpscares (they always suck).

ABSOLUTELY NO QTEs! HARAM!

Most of the enemies would be other people. The supernatural enemies would for the most part be non-corporeal things that have to be dealt with through magic, unless they are possessing people, wildlife, or tangible objects.

Why should it? Why not have a horror game that takes place in broad daylight?

Darkness is annoying, and batteries only last 10 seconds.

A car with tinted windows behind you.
Car is only visible in the mirror.

archive for anons.
maybe someone makes this a free open source software linux game?
FOSS LINUX IS THE WAY TO GO!
archive.is/URpJM

Going on the line of the junker car that break downs
>turns out he is just there to offer you help and the wrench is just rusty

have some car related spooks

Here's an idea for a horror game; an SCP game, but you're a D-Class assigned to explore extra-dimensional SCPs. There'd be a lot of potential in that, I think. Fuck, as long as it doesn't focus around creepy-pasta tier Keters I'd take any SCP game period.

I really wish this video ended at the "do not look at the moon" part. The rest is just silly.

A friend and myself remember a Goosebumps book ending similarly to that effect, yet when we looked for it in recent times it never actually happened - that Mandela effect in motion or whatever.

Anyways, we remember one of the books was about a kid that visits his cousin in the really deep woods (imagine that, like practically all of Stein's Goosebumps have a premise like that), but anyways we remember it ending with the two kids going into the woods and getting lost. The book ends as it recalls a note left on the fridge from the aunt and uncle that simply states "Don't go into the woods." We're pretty sure we remembered one of the books entirely differently, but we both agreed it was much better than whatever the actual book ended on.

SCP has become cancer, though. Fucking shit, they have not one, but two SCPs based on Bernie Sanders, one of which basically is begging you to donate to his campaign.

And don't get me started on how the SCP that switches your gender got tumblerized.

Hey, I actually still have some OC about that crap flying around.

The true horror only ever comes from the unknown. Everything else you can adapt to with more or less effort.

I would kill to play a game that allows me to explore that bee hive that gets strange the deeper you go in

Wouldn't a bee hive already be pretty strange to begin with?

How is that supposed to be an argument?

Wouldn't a beehive be a strange place to explore in the first place? I think some kind of isolated arctic outpost as in Penumbra or that one fuckhueg building complex in Hong Kong would be more fitting.

You’ll like this, then, user. It’s an hour long radio play called The Last Broadcast in a world where the Soviet Union declared war when it collapsed.
JIM, YOU INSUFFERABLE KIKE BASTARD, FIX YOUR SHIT.

There’s also this, if you’re
1. an autistic faggot with no imagination or
2. want to see a more modern variant of the scenario with video content, too

The obvious solution is that monsters only come out at night, so you use the daytime to sleep. Plus you'd have a few minutes of safety after you wake up to get yourself situated and on the road before the spooky shit starts happening. Plus if you tried to sleep at night when the munsters were out you'd just get buttfucked

A bit too simple, imho. I would have at least some monsters that attack during daytime so that, even if you find a shelter, you need to put up some basic barricades or risk getting assraped.

FUND IT

How about an isolated arctic outpost that eventually turns into a bee hive the deeper you go in?

Did these people scream about how stupid and fake Harry Potter or Star Wars are, too? Are they really so brain damaged they feel they have to point out that an obvious work of fiction is, in fact, not real?

But bees are highly vulnerable towards the cold

Yeah, but what about Ice-bees?

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple tbh

How do the Ice-bees make their ice-honey?

Are there any Horror games for the N64? I can only think of Resident Evil 2 but I could have sworn there were more than that.

Doom 64 was not a horror game in the strict sense, but had a surprisingly good soundtrack.

Take solace in the fact that when the race war starts, none of them will believe it until niggers are kicking down their doors and raping them to death. And in the fact that they’ll then be dead and we won’t have to worry about them anymore.

Antarctica has geothermal vents under the ice that create pockets of heat.

They don’t make honey. They make ice. That’s why they’re ice bees.

Anyone have any useful links for sound-effects? It would be set in a mansion so stuff like creaky doors and floorboards would be really useful.

they're Canadian

Here aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-64-official-soundtrack sounds way better.

Ice-Bees produce Maple Syrup confirmed.

Spookers?

Fucking hell,
OCTOBER NIGHT HORROR THREAD
I'm going to start The Void then work on the Penumbra games to see if they are any good

I had an idea what about writing an entry that is someone from AYCY just completely humiliating GAW?
If only I could write.

Better yet, flip the script.
>you stumble and fall just before you reach the gas pump and the thing emerges from the dark, giving you a full view of it

Franken Fran is borderline guro porn. Of course there's no anime.

That's…..a badass fucking concept actually. I mean, it is still the generic "hoomunz r da reel munstars!!!1!!" shit you see with zombie movies and shit but it's pretty fucking good for a game.

I like the way you're thinking.

Also, I wanna have more games where EVPs play a role. There's Sylvio, of course, but while it has nice ideas, the gameplay is very so so. Not to speak of the fucking car segments.

If you pay her enough, a cutscene in the last and very hard bossfight has her show up in the middle of the battle, causing the monster to shit a brick and run away screaming

Post more spooky videos please.
I'm too much of a pussy to actually play spooky games.

Franken Fran is love.

The goal could either be to help the monsters retake the town and drive out the nutjobs or spend what time you can with the monsters to reconstitute from the day or scavenge for car parts to get the hell outta there, with human encounters becoming increasingly frequent at night instead of the day.

I fucking love that idea. I hope a devanon picks up on this thread and runs with it.

Oh shit I forgot to mention, there should be a reward for helping the monsters drive out the nutjobs, like say, less frequent dangerous encounters on the road or something.

Easy
I'd also like to add my own idea I'd wanted to use for a horror game.

That dumb ass "passifizm iz da besst!!!" shit's been done into the fucking ground already. Who the fuck would not fire their gun for some pacifism hippie shit in the middle of bumfuck nowhere America infested with things trying to murder you? If someone's going to make an actual game I doubt it sadly from this thread, that shit will not be included.

Why not make it so that while clearing out sections may give you more room to move around in, it also makes human contact that much more deadly? Don't want the game to be a cake walk. The humans need to be be an increasingly ramped-up threat.

This I like. You make it to the gas station with your last drip of fuel (after you skipped one or two previous ones, because fuck it, ain't worth the risk), and your entire thought while filling your baby can be reduced to "get back in, get back in, get back in".

Bonus points for cutscenes where the monsters press their faces against the windows but do not actually dare to break them.

All I want is a place to be spooked.

Way to read too far into it, dumbass. The point is just to reward players who never put themselves in a situation where they had to fire the gun with a special ending. It's a reward for skill/luck, not some tumblr-grade autism.

I fucking hate the whole tulpa fascination, the /x/philes have completely perverted what a tulpa is supposed to be, thinking that giving themselves schizophrenia is what constitutes a tulpa.
A tulpa is essentially a golem that is willed into existence with complete focus on the goal of the being, if you cannot will a golem into existence then chances are you cannot will a waifu into existence. Jesus, x-files had an episode dedicated to this, they should know better.

Y'know, its not hard to make a cool slender man video, but too many people want to throw him front and center when he's all about creepy subtlety and getting closer over a period of time.

Something tells me you rode the Undertale hate train a little too hard.

pathetic

Why not a Skeleton?

While we may joke of it, an honestly unnerving and dangerous skeleton would be quite interesting especially when it's made apparent it's just a puppet of a rather powerful creature that is just descending from on high to help you just because it finds your struggles amusing.

>have several things with their faces mashed up against the glass, wanting so bad to get at you
>they scatter faster than things should move when you start the car back up

Fixed that for you.

FUND IT

Interpreting it as some Undertale reference instead of a test of nerve like a normal person would have is telling of your taste and character, user.

Fucking Supernatural had an episode about it, too.

Though I loved that one.
It's literal meme magic.

Spooked my friend with this little snippet I made up on the spot inspired by the navajoe skinwalker truck story.

"imagine hearing a cat meow at night and you think damn it cat let me sleep but you open your curtains to see some strange figure crouched outside on the street and the noise seems to be coming from there, you try to make out what it is and it suddenly turns its "head" towards to and you shut your windows and curtains and back up, but then the meowing gets closer and closer until it feels like it's right outside your window, and then tapping on your window"

That series attracts more Yaoi fags than freaking Hetalia.

Is Worlds.com still active? Has been a while.

Posting something that might be interesting

What is this, exactly? tl;dr.
Yes I know I'm a lazy faggot

A couple of interesting adventure premises. Shame its for ants.

Must be story ideas for a World of Darkness RPG - Vampire: The Masquerade?

ok

Which /x/ is less cancerous?

>>>/fringe/

it's from world of darkness urban legends book.

Also new page this time not for ants

You can't discuss creepypasta there tho. They tell you to go to /x/ but /x/ on Holla Forums is fucking dead. Where can I go to discuss creepypasta?

Outlast is shit, and the game just gets worse and worse as it goes along. The opening isn't terrible but that's about it.

well fuck me, guess I'll have to burn a copy. Hows the haunting grounds? Or any of the playstation 2
spooky games? What should I play?