What are some examples of games with well-made difficulty modes?

what are some examples of games with well-made difficulty modes?

Other urls found in this thread:

thief.wikia.com/wiki/OM_T1_Down_In_The_Bonehoard#Difficulty_Alterations
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Metro, enemies have lower health pools like you when you increase the difficulty ro Ranger.
I would say S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but thats been proven wrong.

MGR: Revengeance had pretty solid game difficulties.

On easy the game pretty much parries for you. Enemies also inflict less damage.
On Normal the game no longer helps you with parrying.
On Hard the enemies hit harder and more often.
Very Hard and Revengeance modes - more enemies, tougher types of enemies appear in earlier levels and they attack more often.

There's only one """difficulty""" in Thief and that's Expert. Everything else is irrelevant. Cutting content from your game and calling it difficulty is mental retardation and nothing else.

>Blocking shortcuts, limiting who you can kill Even on the hardest difficulty you still can kill certain enemies and adding more requirements is cutting content, fucking kek
Those are some dumbass dubs.

I'd argue the game is still not particularly hard. You can just stroll about without a care in the world, enemies will run out of stamina while you won't. The only "serious" threat are ranged enemies but you can often dodge their projectiles or just find cover.
For a game centered so much about stealth and hailed as the pinacle, it sure has little to no consequences for being caught. Sure you can't fight very well against them, but it's not like you have to pay attention to your enemies anyway.

For comparison, Styx does the difficulty much better since enemies are faster and deadlier than you are, especially in higher levels of difficulty.
Dishonored also has a better "difficulty" since you get far more enemies and pretty much all of them have hitscan weapons to fuck you if they see you, not to mention some different types of enemies that royally screw you if you don't mix your tactics. However, you're a walking demigod in that game anyway so it's not like that counts in the end.

The whole point of Thief is that you aren't supposed to be caught, hell you're not even supposed to even blackjack a guard if you are good. You're vulnerable, weak, can't fight, and have to use your wits, listening and sneaking ability to steal as much as you can and complete the objectives. Where as Dishonored is a much easier game because you CAN, and I stress CAN do stealth if you create artificial limitation in your head, but you are pretty much an unstoppable killing machine with tons of weapons and techniques in your arsenal to go on the offense and defense.

I don't think you actually played Thief, at least not the classic ones, sound sore like nu-Thief. If you're playing on Expert difficulty you'd get killed in 2-3 sword hits and about the same amount of arrows.

>Shilling fucking Dishonored as more difficult when you have a fucking teleport ability
It's clear to everyone here you never played Thief 1 or 2.

Which don't include not being caught. Seriously, you can run around in full sight of everyone and still complete every single objective.

Nah, Dishonored is easier because you're given a fuckload of tools that make the game easy and make stealth optional, but it's always something you can do to conserve potions and resources, not to mention get the drop on some of the more troubling targets like the music box dudes.

If you're hit by them. Most corridors are wide enough that you can pass side by side with the guards or just run laps around open areas. It's really not that hard to outrun guards or do it long enough until they stop to catch their breath, not to mention you also have a lot of tools to stop them if you really must bump with them. Even arrows take a while to fire and I'm not sure they are hitscan. As long as you stay mobile you will not be hit.

They stop to catch their breath if they run long enough. Try it.

You have the Tard Squad running after you screaming "Stop right there criminal scum!", what about it? All objectives are still possible to complete, loot stays where it is, the amount of enemies stays the same, etc. Nothing in the game changes except guards get a new patrol centered on you.

It has verticality done much better, the idea of making you vulnerable is done even better, it has prettier graphics if you're a faggot that cares about that, it has more gameplay options than just MOAR ARROWS too and a pretty nice story.
Seriously, only problem I can point at it is how some levels felt more like a puzzle than a stealth level.

In-fucking-plying I'm shilling for it. The game throws harder enemies at you than Thief does, since every guard is not restricted to a set of weapons and they can toggle between melee and ranged, while any swordsman in Thief loses his shit when you climb on top of a crate. Tallboys also fuck you if you try frontal assaults and no amount of running around will help you survive them, there's faggots done specifically to fuck up with your god powers too, Daud's Dudes also were interesting since they had powers as well and the entire Daud DLC has a lot more dangerous enemies too.

The problem is that while the enemies you find in Dishonored are more dangerous than the ones you find in Thief, the tools given to you are far more powerfull than anything you have in Thief so the net balance of difficulty is negative, which is why the first game is shit but the DLC ain't so bad. Still, pirate any if you must

I seriously am considering installing both Thief 1 and 2 again and record a playthrough where I just waltz around as a tourist late for an important meeting just to show you how pointless stealth actually is for that game.

Even if you can dodge all the arrows and grenades that the mechanists shoot at you, you still have to deal with the alarms they set off which make every guard aware of your presence, and on at least one mission, you fail automaticaly if someone sets off an alarm.

This statement by itself is fine, but you undermined your entire point by pointing to "artificial limitation" in Dishonored as a downside.
Your defense of Thief implies an artificial limitation as well, because even though you're not "supposed" to even use the blackjack on a guard if you're good (whatever "good" means, the game certainly doesn't measure it by the criteria you're using), the fact of the matter is, you still CAN and you're not punished for doing so. Enemies never wake up from their unconscious state in classic Thief games, so what ends up happening in the endgame is that if you knock everyone out in a level, the game essentially turns into treasure hunting and stealth stops being a factor. Hell, some missions on Expert even require you to knock out people.

Either all self-imposed challenge is fine (which is my position in regards to every game), or none of it is.

god hand

can't do that, it's a PC game, that's illegal here

And you get peanuts for Ammo for some retarded reason while the enemies have infinite ammo.

Dying Light has pretty elaborate difficulty modes. Whats interesting about it is that the difficulty modes were added post release. Originally the game was piss easy complete with detective vision but the hard and nightmare difficulty change shit around while also giving players incentives to play on them.

Have you played other stylish action games? That's pretty standard for the genre, and a lot of other games have more interesting escalations on higher difficulties.

They are literally homing.

god hand is my favorite, I love the idea of the game getting harder on punishing your mistakes the better you are.

Yeah, God Hand's dynamic difficulty is a great example. There's also DMC1's devil-triggered enemies on Dante Must Die!, and DMC3 gives most enemies and bosses entirely new attacks as the difficulty gets higher. Or Bayonetta removing Witch Time on Non-Stop Infinite Climax, or The Wonderful 101 removing the Wonder-Liner's time stop on 101% Hard. Or Viewtiful Joe taking away the attack warnings on Ultra V-Rated. All of those are way more interesting than what Revengeance does.

Are you fucking retarded? Can you read? It's exactly the opposite. On lower """"difficulties""" there's cut content.

Except there isn't
You aren't prevented from exploring the levels on lower difficulties. Parts of the level don't magically open up on higher difficulties.

Yes, yes they do. In Thief The Dark Project at least several levels have areas that are blocked off on lower difficulties.

Could you give me a list because I don't remember that happening.

No I couldn't because I'm not an autist who makes lists of everything I come across. You think I just keep a .txt for every game I play filled with worthless trivia?

Go on Thief wiki. In every mission page there should be "Difficulty alterations" chapter which explains it.
For example thief.wikia.com/wiki/OM_T1_Down_In_The_Bonehoard#Difficulty_Alterations

Huh so expert really is the only way to get the most out of the game

I'm having some fun with the difficulty on Original Sin 2

More enemies spawn, they do more damage, but you also get more experience.

Enemies have stronger attacks (?) and all new characters start at level 1, which is actually a good thing if you know what you're doing.

On the hardest campaign difficulty the AI outright cheats, which isn't such a bad thing because otherwise you wouldn't get to fight a lot of big armies.
Setting it to hardest for battles gives the enemies slight bonuses, but also makes morale much more important which lets you take advantage of whatever fuck-ups the AI makes but also lets it do the same to you.

Really?
I was under the impression that the higher the difficulty, the more damage both you and the enemies dealt to each other.

Nah it works like a standard game. Higher difficulty means you deal normal damage instead of 20% higher than normal and you take normal bullet damage instead of getting it reduced by 20%.
There are also some changes to loot drops on higher difficulty with Master getting the least drops.

I appreciate your passion for Thief but could you please stop misusing the words "cut content?"

Didn't perfect dark made missions more complex by the difficulty?

how do undo all difficulty in MGR with one motion: press forward every time you attack, congratulations you now parry fucking everything

That's what happens in every level when you make a ruckus and people start chasing you. Everyone nearby hears the shouts and joins in until you have a mob around you.
Triggering an alarm that puts them all chasing you doesn't actually change anything if you can still run laps to tire them or even run faster than them.

It's the exact problem with dishonored where you can move away from guards very easily with Blink and Agility, it's just that Dishonored is more blatant about it, but at least there guards don't just tire out and they don't stand on the ground simply waiting for you to come down, they draw their guns or at the very least throw rocks.
In the end, in both games you can pretty much ignore the guards as long as you can dodge their attacks which ain't a hard task in either game, but Dishonored enemies at least put up more of a challenge to throw off (thwarted by the OP tools you get).

No they aren't, I've had guards missing their shots and I heard them land near me as long as I keep moving, plus you can always use corners and other walls for cover.

Can confirm this, the Thieves Guild mission, for instance, becomes much, much longer with the extra objectives you get, opening more of the sewers where you have to go.

Try that and see how well it works against attacks that can't be parried and against multiple oponents attacking you from other angles. You actually have to move towards the attacker to parry him and most 1v1 fights will have lots of moves where parrying isn't an option. Sam himself punishes you heavily for trying to parry shit too much.
You could have mentioned the Offensive Dodge instead, which is a much better option to cheese the game.

battle garegga

the more you shoot, collect items, and don't die, the harder it gets

gud taste.
the way bosses are structured in garegga & the other eighting shmups is pretty cool too. basically there's always a low-risk quick kill method but if you want to maximize score and play the extend & secret bosses, you have to dismember all of their guns which leads to riskier maneuvers & more difficult bullet patterns. i'd really like to see this idea applied to action games.

I'd honestly say Styx: Master of Shadows is the second best stealth game of all time, after Thief II The Metal Age and before Thief The Dark Project. It was really well done.

dirty dumb reddit spacing scum