Get freeze beam

It's no wonder Metroid died if they're all like this.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/voChv
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

git gud

Like tears in the rain.

I'll take Samus Returns over other M or even nothing, but it is definitely on the easy side, so fuck off with your bait.

Samus Returns is actually ok
It's not AM2R or classic metroid but its 100% better than other M and its worth a playthrough if you have a 3DS and want something portable to play

Hey, it's been a little while since I've lurked Holla Forums regularly. Is OP an accurate representation of this board?

OP, you should feel genuinely ashamed that you can't handle a modern Nintendo game.

I only feel shame for spending $40 on this.

Oh yeah, this came out.

It doesn't compare over classic metroid and AM2R because of casualization, poor enemy variety and recolors, and backtracking just yields more tanks. But for a game made by some spaniard fucks known for butchering Castlevania, I must admit it at least plays like a 2D Metroid.

Is there a wall? Why do you not spiderball?

Ah, casual filters. I miss those in vidya.

Been through every room and haven't even seen signs of the spiderball.

Modern gamers in general…

Thank god for nintendo finally learning how to use the internet so we get gems like that pic.

Unless they moved it far later, I got it fairly early on in the original. Then again I tend to see how far I can sequence break 2d metroid games for laughs.

The red doors are a bitch if you have never played a Metroid game before. Who in their right mind would shoot 5 missiles at a door, when you only need to shoot the blue doors once?

Yeah I have no idea. I'm still going back into every single room possible and I'm just not seeing it.

Hmm, worst case scenario try a map online, just vague enough to not spoil too much.

Context is a lost art. I hate it.

Indeed.

If it wasn't for the checkpoints putting you right outside the room where you died this game would have been hard as fuck.

Can you play as ZS Samus in this?

hold the jump button to jump higher

Yes, I did have trouble with diggernaut and my first omega metroids, but checkpoints make it easier than classic metroid even if the individual boss battles are harder. It's a matter of game design. Metroid should be all about expeditions and survival, checkpoints work against this.

Honestly I think the game would have been amazing if there was an option to turn them off. That, the space jump looking kinda stupid and scan pulse being so early and making looking for secrets pointless are my only real issues with the game.

Just lure a bird enemy over and freeze it and use it as a platform. Dont be a fucking casual.

It's in the same area you're in you retard. It's still on the right side of the map, down a deep hole, just like the original.
Git fukkin gud.

The only reason Diggernaut is hard is because he has multiple attacks that hit you for multiple E Tanks that have one specific strategy to beat them. I died about 7 times to him, and every single time it was because some new "fuck you" attack had come up and I didn't figure out what I was supposed to do until after I'd died. When I beat him I didn't get hit once. It would have been more satisfying if each hit did something like 50 damage, so it would still be punishing but you'd also have time to figure out what strategy you were supposed to be using.

All things considered this game is really good, all it needs are the options to turn off checkpoints and change controls.
I liked it more than Fusion

At first the game was pitifully easy then came Area 3 and metroids got harder and everything was doing half my health

Honestly i would only change very little otherwise this game is a solid entry in the franchise.

Other than that I really liked all the Aeon abilities, especially the machine gun beam. And the true final boss was unexpected and fun.

Honestly its probably the second best Ridley fight in the entire series after Prime 1

yeah my point exactly. I was expecting complete and utter shit and its actually ok.

Maybe worst is the word you're looking for. Omega is the best Ridley fight in the series.
I liked this one too. I didn't like the change to the canon though.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised with Samus Returns, given who made it. I have been wishing for an official 2D metroid for years, and this is a respectable offering compared to Other M and Federation Farce. It understands what Metroid should be. I also appreciate that the map is essentially nothing like AM2R so there is worth playing both. Still, I cannot ignore its faults. Scan pulse was a mistake, and they really should have made more monsters and placed critical upgrades in backtracking. It is definitely not enough to stop me from having fun playing it, though.

I'd say this game is better than the majority of indie Metroidvanias that have been filling Steam for the last 7 years like Guacamelee or Axiom Verge. I really don't like Axiom Verge's movement, weapons, bosses, or story
It also has the best version of the Lower Brinstar theme, I got hard when I first heard it.

You are waiting just as long for Ridley to come back into the room in Prime 3 than when he is in the air in Prime 1. Omega was a great fight but there is something about the Prime 1 fight that i find a hell of a lot more satisfying, plus he stops flying after half health in 1.
Also what canon change did you not like

All the music was pretty good, I came when i heard Magmoor Caverns again and I agree the Lower Brinstar theme was fucking 12/10

Use bomb jumping you fucking casual

I feel like it should be bigger but only show the map and not breakable blocks. It functions as your map station essentially so it needs to have that functionality and be obtained early, but showing breakable blocks should be an upgrade you don't get until later.
Until you get spazer, the ice beam is actually better for killing things. Any non metroid enemy that's even slightly frozen is instantly killed by a missile or melee attack. The fact that it takes so many hits to actually kill something is good because it means you won't kill something and need to reset the room if you can't get it in just the right spot.
The ice beam can hurt them though, and you have pretty much infinite missles from the very start so there shouldn't ever really be any down time.
Except they spoiled it in a trailer.

There isn't any waiting in either fight though. If you're talking about prime 1 he'll fly around a bit but it's like 5 second and not all that often.

Metroid 2 didn't have any backtracking so this isn't really the devs fault.

There is worth in the ice beam in that it can counter some "lol, melee counter me or gent bent" enemies, especially the bats. Missile a frozen mob and it's a one-hit kill.

It's lower norfair you pleb. Also the use of this music is fucking devious.

putting Ridley on SR388. Part of what's cool about him coming back in Prime 3 and Super is that he's been gone for a while, you're not expecting him since he wasn't in the last one. Now the story goes Meta Ridley gets bitchslapped by Samus->immediately follows up at Ceres->gets utter annihilated. Also putting in the hatchling saving Samus AGAIN. That horse has been beaten in at least 3 games now.

I've timed it, he flies between 10-20 seconds between being vulnerable in Prime 1. In Corruption it's fine since you can shoot and damage him while he's flying.

He said Magmoor because it's the exact track used in Prime 1.

Just add map stations then. I see where you are coming from but the Scan pulse is basically a casual tool. I like the idea of it only showing blocks but it should cost WAY more Aeon.
I found myself just spamming the fire button on my beam and occasionally using missiles, but thats just my style of play honestly.
Yeah I knew that but I guess i just prefer the way Zero mission did it, but thats just personal preference.

I know its lower norfair but I much prefer the Prime/Samus Returns remix with that banging drumstick the whole time, so i remember it like that.

OP are you the guy that made the STALKER thread too or are kids today just so unused to videogames that aren't 'press button' to win that this is now a common occurence.

You can sort of see why Scan pulse was in there, as the switch from 2d sprites to 3d environments puts more strain on how can you tell the player which wall is breakable or not.

There's a reason the GBA games switched to one missile. It's a stupid design element really. Shooting five missiles isn't any harder than shooting one. It just takes more time, and eats up your missile stock.

I just got stuck at that exact fucking part. You need to CHARGE the freeze beam and it freezes them longer. Then jump on the guy and use missiles on the ceiling.

Webm version

Speaking of music, I remember downloading this really good track by a band I've never heard of on Limewire for MP1 that claimed to be the main theme but it was obviously a cover and I can't find it anymore. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I dread for the future.

Thanks.

I finished the game last night.
The Super Bomb boss fight had some poor conveyance issues. The Spider Ball trick to bypass the suction was a neat moment, but the final sequence where you need to spiderball onto it's face and blow up segments was really confusing.
Still, I enjoyed the game, I look forward to passing it onto my friend who'll 100% it.
Also, my hands where sore after some boss fights.

I 100%ed it 3 times. My fastest was 5:45. Its not that hard to 100%.

I thought about that but I fucking hate having to look up guides for games.

The only thing I've found remotely like that is blocked by rocks that you can't destroy, so I dunno what to tell you user.

Its fucking faggot nigger babies like you that have made a generation of easymode wow clones and a slew of singleplayer trash.

Kill yourself

My best time is 1:58, and 00:56 in Project Base… But I've never 100% it. Simply put, there's way too much shit in this game, the only way to properly 100% it is to either X-Ray every fucking room and every brick (fuck that), or use a checklist/walkthrough. Also fuck that.

My best clear was 1:58 with 78% completion.

Also for reference, the world record for any% is 00:26, and the world record for any% in project base is 00:19. I don't have any desire to complete the game 100% or to beat someone's world record, but I do like to learn and practice the speed techniques that people use.

Sorry user I'm more used to games that aren't shit like Dark Souls

Are you going to write an article about it now? Maybe call it the dark souls of metroidvania games?

Actually I was just gonna go back to Bloodborne.

< Hmm, maybe I should fire another one
< Another one perhaps?
< OK, this isn't going anywhere either

If I remember correctly on the NES the manual told you to fire five missiles, otherwise I would not have guess that you have to fire five of them. It's a door for fuck's sake, if doing one thing doesn't open it, why would I think that doing the thing that doesn't work four more time will make it work?

This, three is a pretty fucking standard number for anything requiring more than one hit. It's okay for a door to take five missiles, but those shit CDi games where it takes eight bombs to break a rock is bad.

Just saying, but in Project Base they pretty much addressed this and made red locks require 1 missile, and in Samus Returns they've also made it 1 missile to break a gate on doors. They also make Missile takes give you 3 missiles per fill up now, instead of 5. But back in the early 90s and late 80s, 5 seemed like a nice solid round number. 5 missiles to open a missile gate was meant to restrict your number of missiles just before an encounter, per example. It makes you leery of what's on the other side of the door.

Just like there's no tutorial at all anywhere in the Metroid games that tells you to use the charge beam or even try using shine spark as an attack against a boss. User intuition and introspective was required, if you just blindly run into every door, you will end up running into a door a that gets you fucking killed.

Like Pottery
It's still fucking there you mongoloid

What

Did

He

Mean

By

This

?

?

?

I haven't played it yet but there's two right off the bat

I mean I haven't played Super Metroid but I've played Fusion and Zero Mission. Can't you just drop a morph ball bomb on a block and it will reveal what kind of attack you need to hit it with to break it?

Yes. The bombs literally break the blocks they stuck on.

They are literally too stupid to try out the new ability they just got without being told to try it out.

Pretty sure it also tells you how to use it in the message when you first get it.

Man, I fucking love what the modders did with Samus' handling and power, especially compared to vanilla Super, but it makes the game too fucking easy because the parts of the game that were left intact were not balanced to accommodate these physics. You should try playing Hyper Metroid. That shit is gold.

scrubs

wow OP git fucking gud, here I felt retarded because I forgot about super-bomb-jump.

Unrelated to OP's faggotry, I guess this is the Samus Returns thread?
I am disappointed in Hard/Fusion mode. I was kind of expecting that they'd take away all the Aeon abilities and maybe the melee counter too, and force you to play it like Super Metroid or… Fusion. Instead it's exactly the same game but the enemies do more damage to you now. If you're an attentive player you'll never get hit by enemies anyway, so their higher damage output is only a problem for boss battles. And only one boss has an attack that's truly difficult to avoid. queen metroid's green orbs that fly around. yes I know spiderball up to the ceiling, but it's hard to drop between the orbs when she knocks you off.

what

Look up APNG, it's a thing.

(you) have to go back

i liked how they hinted at metroid fusion remake during post credits

Or maybe the X parasite will have some role in the new prime game, which may finally be set after fusion. How old is Samus by fusion anyhow? How long 'till MILF Samus becomes canon.

Pauly actually beat the game.

yeah i'd like something like that for Prime 4, and yeah samus is getting old

The art gallery is neat when you finish it, I'm pretty sure it tells the story of the Chozo discovering the Metroids and Aeon and experimenting on it/them, then when their science goes wrong and the metroids start evolving, they abandon the place and flood it with acid (which doesn't really work but explains the DNA machines that drain it). Then they fight their way back to the surface and meet reinforcements, only for the commanding officer of the reinforcements to kill them all for their mistakes. There's also a picture similar to the end credits with creatures getting infected with the X.

Other thoughts, I've seen a couple complaints about the backgrounds blending into the foreground because they're the same color palette, but it's genuinely not a problem with the 3D turned on. Depth completely transforms the look of the game. If you actually take a second to study the background scenery, it's absolutely crazy how they justified the existence of every platform, wall, and ledge by making it part of a rock formation or ancient ruins that continues into the screen, and then some. When I took a moment to admire the environments it just made me want to jump in there and explore the rest that's implied to exist. Nothing I saw in the environments really conflicts with the feel or existing lore, it's just an awesome visual extension for a platformer, and completely appropriate. It makes me appreciate these developers because I think they really care, the casual abilities must be a design decision forced on them by Nintendo in the vein of the Divine Beast abilities in BOTW. And if you don't use the Aeon abilities except when absolutely necessary, it's a perfectly good and difficult Metroid game. They even put enemies in there that can't be melee-countered, and you'll get fucked up if there's too many around because the counter has a cooldown.

So now that this has been out for a few days, how does this compare to AM2R?

Maybe. Honestly the X gimmick should remain self-contained to Fusion, except for maybe a small segment intended as a call-back, but a Prime game after Fusion might have been pretty good if they weren't going for the Sylux route.

Regarding the Aeion abilities, I see the Scan Pulse as a solution to a problem that was already solved by way of the X-Ray Visor in Super Metroid. I see no reason why they couldn't have just added that as a normal item and have it appear early on, and replace the Scan Pulse with something that would actually be pretty cool.

I guess this is relatively what the did design the game to do way back when. Maybe without constantly updating on his progress on a social network but its works.

Even then, I hope the Aeon abilities do show up again. The ability to give Samus an over shield is a neat idea, the rapid fire is also cool idea but I'd prefer beam combos, and the time slowing mechanic would be cool for puzzels. If Mercury Steam did a fusion remake though, I'd love to see how they'd implement the speed booster or make puzzels based around using the Aeon abilities with the shinespark. I also just really want to see the speed booster again.

Fine. If you played AM2R and loved the freedom it gave you, you might feel a little spoiled for your first bit but I'm warming up to the game the more I think of it.

>I'm pretty sure it tells the story of the Chozo discovering the Metroids and Aeon and experimenting on it/them, then when their science goes wrong and the metroids start evolving, they abandon the place and flood it with acid (which doesn't really work but explains the DNA machines that drain it). Then they fight their way back to the surface and meet reinforcements, only for the commanding officer of the reinforcements to kill them all for their mistakes. There's also a picture similar to the end credits with creatures getting infected with the X.
What's happening is this:
They discover the X on SR-388 and do experiments with them that seem to result in Aeon. But then they see how dangerous they are so they create Metroids to eliminate the X (hey guys let's create horrific aliens to kill horrific aliens this could never go wrong). Initially they're like the infant Metroid and are totally okay with hanging around people but then theys start unexpectedly evolving and become aggressive. I'm not sure if the reinforcements kill them at the surface because they failed or because of the possibility of them being infected by the X. I really hope they don't pull another "THE PEOPLE YOU THOUGHT WERE THE GOOD GUYS WERE ACTUALLY SECRETLY BAD KIND OF" like they did with the GFed.

So long as they don't continuously kill off and bring back the Metroids I don't really care what happens. Also enough fucking Ridley, he was never a good villain I have no idea how he became this ubiquitous.

In my experience, until you get the ice beam, the game is a mad race as to see how many missiles you can fire at enemies until you run out. Beyond that, way too much of the gameplay relies on the counter mechanic. Gameplay more or less comes to a halt just so you wait for them to come at you so you can thwack them and then ultimately end up shooting them. If you shoot them without countering, it takes an uncomfortable amount of time to kill them unless you make use of your missile stock. It kind of helps that by the time you're a good way in, you will get to the point where you'll never run out of missiles, but the early game until this point is insufferably poor.

Map is totally different, enemy-shootan gameplay is totally different because of melee counter but you can choose not to use it and shoot the old fashioned way. There's some new sections where you have to OH FUCK RUN AWAY PLATFORMING REALLY FAST OR YOU'LL DIE and a couple new bosses.
Aeon abilities are basically cheating when used against enemies, but they're required for some puzzles. They also use up the energy really fucking fast and only the rapidfire replenishes itself 1:1 from the guys you kill, if used sparingly. The energy shield only withstands a few boss hits so you still gotta git gud. I never even tried using slow-mo against enemies because I was saving my energy for puzzles or the type of enemies that require aeon to beat.

I have all the amiibos because I snatch up every piece of Metroid merch I can afford, and I'm gonna lay out how they work because Nintendo didn't explain it well and pissed people off.
- 3 of them unlock ADDITIONAL galleries which are Metroid II Art, Samus Returns Concept Art, and a music player. You get the "Chozo Memories" gallery by 100%ing the collectibles, no amiibo required.
- the broken-tube-metroid amiibo unlocks fusion mode which is just hard mode with a fusion skin. Hard mode can be unlocked without amiibo by beating the game once.
- 3 of the amiibos give you "reserve tanks," 1 each of missiles, Aeon, and health. The health one refills 300 or 400, the Aeon is a pittance, and I never ran out of missiles to test that reserve.

I don't. They ruin the combat and I hated having to switch to rapidfire for those few specific enemies that needed it. Puzzle usage is whatever, it's the same as any other powerup that doesn't make you a juggernaut.

That makes more sense I guess, I can't remember the events of Fusion or the explanation of X.

Smash fags meme magic'd him into every future Metroid, enjoy.

I breezed through this shit in just two days.
It was boring and generic, but it was definitely not cryptic at all, you've definitely just overlooked something obvious.
NOT that I'd recommend you continue playing Samus Returns. It's easily the worst Metroid yet.

AM2R is not only more faithful, but it's also has a lot less filler, so it's kind of short. Samus Returns has a lot larger levels, but they're so empty, and gameplay is SLOW as fuck since you have to stop every 2 seconds to parry something. Backtracking is also done A LOT worse. In AM2R you can usually pick up items you previously weren't able to get while backtracking through an area to get to a NEW area. In Samus Returns they do this retarded fucking thing where as early as the first fucking area in the game, they have all this shit (that you don't need to progress) that you need end-game upgrades to access. No other metroid game has backtracking that extreme and I just did not fucking bother going ALL the way back just to get a few extra missiles.

Also, for some reason AM2R had a more basic enemy variety. Samus Returns had a lot of different enemies, but you'd mostly just see these three:

I will say though, that except for the Queen, the metroid boss fights were pretty good. They had a good variety of attacks, and it was fun trying to sneak as many missiles as I could while fighting them. There's no QTEs finishing moves unlike some anons have claimed before. You CAN parry them though, which does a lot of damage.

Let's be fair, the only reason it's not a QTE is because there's no picture of a button flashing on the screen. You melee counter at the right time and an elaborate animation takes control of the game while you unload as many missiles as you can, then it returns you to normal gameplay. The missiles shot while doing this are guaranteed hits.

That Pauly is a fucking legend due to that "y cant metroid crawl?" Miiverse post.

Okay thanks for the information. If it's slow I'm probably not going to waste any money or time on it.

While I do think it was a stupid design choice to make the doors open with 5 instead of just one, they do blink when you shoot them, you have to be retarded to not figure that out.

I mean you're not wrong, it's still dumb, but last metroid thread I was in anons were talking about it like it was automatic or like a nudoom glory kill. Plus, I've never seen a metroid use the move more than twice in a fight, so after those two chances you've missed the opportunity to parry. My point is that while it's still dumb, it's less dumb than anons imply it is.

The player has to react to an enemy animation, and missing the cue does not result in instant death/failure. It's a mechanic, not a QTE. The player also has to do the inputs for missiles themselves, that is, select missiles and press the fire button. It's not much but saying it's a QTE is disingenuous since say, the Dark Souls parry/riposte has a much greater payoff with a much easier execution (parry, light-attack-button, enemy dies).

Much like any Metroid game it's only as slow as you let it. It's pretty easy to avoid damage if you're good and you have pretty decent ground speed. People complain about waiting to parry enemies but you can push them away with the uppercut (it just pushes them away, no critical hit or whatever) and immediately cancel the animation with any input. Unlike what says, the levels aren't empty otherwise they'd have put the Speed Booster in. In comparison to AM2R, the levels in SR can feel somewhat claustrophobic. AM2R has loads of empty space in each area (some of it to facilitate the Speed Booster) but that's fine.

The complaints about backtracking are legitimate, especially since regular missiles don't even work on the final boss. It would have been nice if they'd placed the gates more intelligently (no plasma beam doors in the first fucking area) so that backtracking wouldn't seem like such a chore even with teleportation.

I wish I had that kinda samus collection, also you are missing the retro studios figure

Actually you can trigger it sort of. After the beginning of the fight the Metroid will get into it's cycle of attacks that can't be countered, but if you nail it with a charged freeze shot it sinks to the ground to shake off the ice and the cycle resets, so it does the counter-able attack again. I've gotten several in a single fight against the later forms.

Well fuck, I did not know that.

I've got a list. There's a World of Nintendo phazon suit recolor, a giant WoN Metroid, the dumb looking Joyride figure from the SNES days, a zero suit figure that came out around the time of zero mission, and if I ever win the lottery I'll buy all of those First 4 Figures ones that light up and shit.
I've got the Prime 3 figma pre-ordered, it comes out next month.

hint: (pic related) is not a jpg

It's like almost doing a dragon punch right as you land. Took me awhile to master that one.

Actually looking at that picture I guess the joyride one came out way later than I thought, is that Luigi's Mansion promo at the top?

nice, also dont hate on the super metroid figure that thing is badass. and yeah the first 4 figures are tight as fuck, especially the phazon suit one

It looks like it's not poseable at all, I have pretty high standards and barely tolerate the WoN ones because you can only make them stand boring or do one action pose that looks halfway decent. But then, I had some Halo 2 joyride figures that were surprisingly flexible so who knows. I want that one because of the swappable head.

Ez

i still have a few of those halo figures, not sure if they go for much. but the super metroid one would look good on display like in a save tube or something

Grade A bait, OP, I genuinely thought you were a real journalist bean for a second.

exactly!

I want to etch this design onto a framed glass and then project LEDs from the bottom so the etched part glows, it'd be awesome on the wall behind my figures. The save tube is a good idea, might make one for one of the WoN figs since they're inflexible recolors and they need spicing up.

I don't mean that the levels are vast and barren. I just mean that a lot of the game just feels like "filler" since the areas are so large and there's little points of interest in them. AM2R had all kinds of cool shit, like the robot factory, that area with the sand blocks you could destroy, that underwater area, that jungle-like area with the fireflies that got darker as you went through it. Not only were all these areas unique, but they were all short enough so that they didn't overstay their welcome. Better to be short and sweet, than to be long and dull.

So you are or aren't from reddit?

good old noob bridge

Beat it, got the best ending on the first try, also beat the escape on the first try. Love it, the superfast bomb jumping is just awesome.

Fucking sorry ass casual.

You know you can reset the game and restart from your last save point if you really want to.

If you are talking about Super Metriod I 100% under 2 hours years ago. Its not really that bad taking the vanilla rough. Even if you don't utilize any sequence breaking whatsoever you can finish SM 100% and get the best ending by just straight up play.

Did you turn the game off and back on again? :^)

Holy shit this is so fucking comfy.

Kek. I'm gonna really miss Miiverse…

Yeah the suction thing was kinda bullshit, that would never work in any other game. The last bit is supposed to be reminiscent of the spiderball boss phases in Metroid Prime 2, so that came naturally to me at least. If you're gonna bitch about that whole thing though, bitch about how the game never even attempts to teach you about power bomb jumping (even though it's never been a thing in any Metroid game before this one).

Nintencucks are the worst.

Noobs gitting gud is not a particularly nice process to witness. You were the same, at first. I see no grounds to rage at them, unless they quit.

Eat a dick

The first time I did a power bomb jump was by mistake. So once I understood that it was possible my mind was like "oh that's how you deal with those odd areas". I thought it was fine.

Sorry it's to big.

If you're this retarded, do you get half way through cutting an onion or something and go
and quit like a fucking 3 year old? Fucks sake people like you and OP are why games aren't even a challenge anymore

There is a distinct visual difference between an uncut union, an union cut halfway through, and a fully cut union.
There is no visual difference between a red door and a red door shot once, twice, three times, or four times with missiles. It's only with the magical fifth missile that you have any visual feedback.
It's more like trying to cut a bone in half using a steak knife, and having the bone spontaneously split in half after an arbitrary amount of time.

Is the audible feedback not enough? It's making a completely different noise, and if you've played anything that remotely vidya before, you know anything that makes a different sound you should hit until it does something. This is just the basics of video games. If it's your first video game you'd learn that from this, even. It's just a part of the base context of vidoe games, just like the visual of an onion being different levels of cut up.

my bad

You're either baiting or fucking stupid. The door does make a different sound, but the sound remains identical for all 5 shots, you don't get any feedback that your missile shots are adding up. I don't care if it's 1 or 5 missiles either way, just came here to point out that you aren't using nor understanding the analogy correctly.

to be fair I wouldn't consider it really kind of fucked up to take out as many of a group that may be infected with a deadly super parasite that just fucks shit up, on a planet with a now other alien that just fucks shit up.

This shit always makes me nervous and paranoid.

Yeah but I can't really see a first-party Nintendo game where they justify people killing their own kind for security. This is the company that didn't know what a fucking bounty hunter was.

And you're a retard for not being able to abstract from prior knowledge how to open a simple door. When you hit the door with missiles, it makes the noise when you hit an enemy and flashes. Doing this 1 time, 5 times, or 10 times, it shouldn't make a difference. It's obvious from the fact that something different is occuring that you're having an effect. If you (and others) don't understand something as simple as consistent context across a medium and can't be bothered to properly experiment to find new information, video games might not be for you. Let alone adult life. I'd recommend pic related. Then again it still might be too hard for you with your apparent lack of mental comprehension.

For a moment there I thought the Metroid in the center was holding a basketball instead of a Morph Ball. Though a Metroid's ability to hover through the air would give it a massive advantage at b-ball playing.

Game's okay but
FUCK NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE WITH THE DIRECTIONAL PAD

What now?

Dropping a power bomb while using the spider ball launches the morph ball across the room with extreme speed

Why do i want this?

Because you are fat.

I only played 5 minutes but the level design seemed really shit in Samus Returns compared to AM2R. But maybe that's because I was bored out of my mind and barely paying attention.

k

I got the morph ball. Why the hell is it slower than Samus' normal running speed?

*so much slower

No. Fuck you. It's just a soulless nostalgia-grab trying to recapture the magic of something that was great 20 years ago. How about a new piece of great music? Oh wait, Nutendo doesn't have the talent to do that. Enjoy your six millionth remix. Super Metroid itself pressed the nostalgia button hard but it never dared to be so creatively bankrupt.

It always is. Nintendo won't take risks anymore and try something new, unless it's a retarded gimmick like the wii.

Polite Sage.

pic related

This is my biggest problem with the game, followed by being forced to use the circle pad. At least it doesn't bounce anymore.

Anyone else pirate the game? I beat it and it locked up at the end after the credits, so I didn't get to unlock hard mode.

try not to die, scrub

whoa, what the shit?
where's the AM2R vs SR posts?
where's the "it didn't sell in a region outside the US, so it flopped" crossposts from GAFfer and /r/Metroid faggots?
where's all the "Haloid" Dobson posts?
where's all the shillposting?
where's the usual bullshit that happens in Metroid threads?

knowing you lads, you would've jumped on SR in favor of a fangame. but you're all seem like good people that probably pirated it then bought it, and enjoyed it along with AM2R.

this is WAY different than the threads in 4chan Holla Forums

God damn you people have no brains.

game was ok. I'd say its better than the shitty metroidvanias steam has been plagued with for a awhile like an user said, but Hollow Knight is exuberantly better than this game. I'd pirate it if you want something to play and have no backlog.
And of course Holla Forums is better. cuckchan is shills, hipsters and little children.

Mercury Steam is mediocre and I don't want them to touch anything in general. Like, sure they didn't fuck up, but I wouldn't want them to represent an IP again because there are better devs to do that

and to elaborate, Im surprised to know they're not fully shit but they're ok. Like, good for them on progress, but I rather have retro studios do metroid

Go back

The game not being the usual Mercury Steam Bad has to do with Nintendo's supervision, similar to how they turned Retro from a bunch of fuck ups trying to do too much at once into the team that brought Metroid back from the dead.

same, but too bad Retro isn't the same Retro we knew since Prime 1.
most of them started to leave since after Prime 3 was done

right on the money

Given Miyamoto's track record as of late, it's pretty apparent that he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nice bait but the people who are actually that stupid do annoy me.

You dumb bitch. Why don't you take the cock out your mouth ya gimp. Go back to retard school you shit. I will fuck your sister mutherfucker bitch. Take my dick.

Wasn't miyamoto responsible for some of the defining features in metroid prime though?

yes he was

not only he was the reason why MP kept the Morph Ball, Nintendo of Japan was responsible on why the scanning feature was prominently used in all Prime games aside Federation Force.

I remember getting stuck at this the second time I played it… in a ZNES emulator. I forgot the running button even existed.

Honestly, I'm just baffled to why the ice beam is a separate weapon. It just means you barely fucking use it outside the few times you need to to make platforms and three of the metroid stages. There was nothing wrong with how Super did it.

This game is alright so far. I have no idea how anyone can pay for this stuff though. Sucks that most metroid battles are identical just in a different room. I just beat the dog miniboss not sure how far I am. Not very.

What's even worse is how the grapple beam is considered seperate even though whenever you want to use it you can just aim at a grapple point and it switches automatically and there's zero reason to use it otherwise.

If you mean the thing you get spring ball from, arachnus looks nothing like a dog.

This guy

That's like saying you want Modern Rare to do another DK. They're a shell of what they used to be.

That's just a regular gamma metroid though.

right now, i hope Metroid 5 bring back Metroid battles and expand on them. the electric/fire variants are a neat way to shake up the encounters in SR.

also, did you guy see the secret 2d/10 memory in the Chozo Memories gallery?

He really didn't like how the researchers made the entire planet even more dangerous with their ideas to resolve X parasite problem by creating the Metroids to fight them, then suddenly backfire due the Aeion causing them to evolve, and filling the entire underground with acid via the Chozo seals leaving behind the bird warriors fighting off all the Alpha Metroids.

so the Chozo Didact decided to punish them with harsh execution

The mass exodus from Retro started after Prime 1 largely different teams made Prime 1 and 2. Retro continues to make great games while the people who left really haven't made anything that great. While nothing was as good as Prime 1 it isn't like all the talent left.

Why did they rehash Metroid and Super Metroid tracks though, and gave them the same names?
Isn't this supposed to be a different planet? Is there a Brinstar and Norfair in SR388?

'yeah the music in samus returns is a real letdown

nigga the only figurines of worth getting are the goodsmile ones

damn i want it but she looks almost the same as the other M varia suit. degrees of motion and posing look identical too. im hesitant because it's almost double the price that i originall got the other M figma for.

What let me down was all the Prime track reuse, especially since the new material that was there was good (especially the Chozo lab music). I won't hold it too much against them since it seems like this game had a tiny development cycle.

When I was 3, you fucking faggot. Go back to reddit. They'll coddle your stupid ass.

Nintendo had little involvement The game was designed by Mercury Stream. Suckermoto was merely credited as "producer". Do producers even do shit besides take credit for other people's work?

It seems Miyamoto-sensei actually wasn't senile yet back then.

user, are you blind?

That's not what I read in an interview. The MS guys were saying Nintendo would constantly tell them to "try harder" and fix shit when milestones were sent in. The interviewee even stated outright that working with Nintendo made them better developers because they were so strict about quality control.
archive.fo/voChv

Comparing the difference in quality between Castlevania Mirror of Fate and Metroid Samus Returns, that's quite believable. I hope they apply what they've learned in their future games.

Shrimp dont have four legs.
Spiders dont have four legs.
We're lookin at a four legged mammal as the only valid comparison here.

This only proves that miyamoto is retarded
he wanted it to be all about the visor
Tanabe-san was creative enough to satisfy nintendo and integrate into the gameplay by being the scanner for information/collectible and not making it forced
If anything this only proves Miyamoto us crazy and tanabe saved the day

The fact that the first thing that came to your mind was "Oh a dog" just blows my mind.

I fucking told you to stop posting pictures of my waifu so lightly, goddamn

Does SR let you put markers on the map, like AM2R does? Hell, Metroid Prime 3 did it too.

I'm not the original person you told to, I copied that picture and did the same as he did !
Your waifu is public property now!

Yes

What a slut

Yes, but what's your point? I'm saying that in old metroid games you'd often pass through old areas as you zig-zag across the map, which gives you plenty of opportunities to pick up the stuff you've missed, or at the very least offers SOME incentive to look for powerups at all. Like for example in Super Metroid there'd be a few missiles and shit scattered around the surface of the planet, but there'd actually be something THERE when you got back.

Samus Returns is the MOST LINEAR FUCKING metroid game to date, so it's tedious as all fuck to just put random shit in the first area you need end-game shit to get. Yeah, you can just teleport to the areas, but then you'd need to begin the tedious task of mucking about all through the whole damn level to get all these little power ups scattered across the whole thing. There's just no incentive to backtrack. You're not on your way to a new area, there's no secret tunnels or anything, there's NOTHING NEW. You get this ability that just reveals the map, so you can already see all the stuff you've missed, so you're essentially just ticking boxes off a checklist, and it's nothing worth going back for because the bosses are easy enough as it is.

And since some of the earliest stuff is blocked off by late-game powers, why bother going there at all early on when you can just wait 'till the end of the game to just sweep everything up, but by then who gives a fuck, you've already killed the Metroid Queen so you're pretty much done the game, only thing after that is FUCKING RIDLEY, LIKE THE ONE METROID GAME WITHOUT RIDLEY, AND THEY DECIDE TO PUT RIDELY IN IT FUCK YOU.

That was clever.

Honestly this game has been.. .rater satisfying. Metroid 2 was rather linear. You go into an area, wipe out X number of metroids, then you can go to the next area and you get to keep what you find along the way. Level designs were very familair, and holy fucking shit, the ambiance to the backgrounds with random shit crawling around, machine working in the background, giant one eyed slugs, weird water bat dragons. Hot damn, this made SR-388 feel so alive, yet I always felt like I was in an alien world and never on earth.

Sure there were prime/reused tracks, but I really enjoyed the music that was from metroid 2.

Metroid 2 was linear as fuck though. How do you not know this?

Because he's one of those people who thinks Metroid started at Super

In particular, Super Metroid always fucks with me near the end of the game, and I always have to pull up a guide to figure out how to navigate that final area.

I personally never could get a 100% item ranking on Super. My best file with a freaking map, I couldn't find the ONE fucking missile expansion I was missing.

That actually stumped me quite a bit too. Felt neat when I tried it by accident.

The excavator boss, though, that one I had to look up. Guess I'm retarded anyways.

Drillbot, jesus fucking christ. Most final bosses in games aren't as satisfying to beat as that fucker was.

>Samus casually looks the fucker in the eye and blows off a chunk of his head with her charge beam

they are just renamed gif files. iirc codemonkey added a feature to fullchan to them recognized despite having the incorrect file extension

this game is tempting me to want to get a 3DS, but then I imagine it wont be long before 3DS emulation will be viable even on a toaster. I haven't tried out Citra yet.

The "howto noob bridge" one is actually an apng, not a gif. Holla Forums allows files to have the wrong extension and a lot of the animated "png"'s here are actually gifs, but pngs actually can be animated, and that one is actually an apng. Try opening it in an image viewer that has gif support but lacks apng support, and it won't animate.

I don't think Samus Returns is worth buying a 3DS for if you don't have much else you're interested in. It's fun, and it's far from the worst metroid game, but the drillbot is the best thing in the game. It's much more actiony than a typical metroid game, and it feels even more linear than Fusion was; to me those are downsides, but I guess to some people those might be positives. As for the 3DS, it has a decent library but no game or even series in particular is worth buying one for exclusively. I love Monster Hunter and enjoy pokemon, so that's like 600+ hours right there, but I struggle to find anything worth playing on it that isn't from either of those series.

Well, the mercury steam guys seem to know what folks want out of samus; actions, not words.

I think AM2R is better than Super. You can eviscerate me if you want to.

>now they go batshit and grow fuckhuge powerful due to Aeon
>file corrupts
>he and his assistants are shot dead on sight and left to rot on the planet by the dude in charge, who has his own power suit
WEW

Several chozo in those pictures has power suits.

Yeah, but he was the only one with an arm cannon which may mean he's Grey Voice AKA Samus' Chozo genetic father

But Metriods being an invention of Chozo to fight X paradise was established in Fusion iirc?

didn't that plot point of Samus being raised by Chozo and her suit being Chozo something originally form Nintedo Power comic?

That's reaching really hard with no basis whatsoever. If anything he would have just been some military leader.

Not sure what this has to do with my post but yes.
pretty sure it's been established since metroid 1, what with all your power ups being obtained from chozo statues.

I think they are just killing the people who worked on the security systems like when pharaos killed the architects of their tombs

mixed up the reply's that statement was meant for 46a75a and 7eea77. Your reply was re: Nintedo Power comic

Dunno where it started but I don't think anyone doubted it because of her ability to gain power from chozo statures since Metroid 2.

Possibly. I do know that the Chozo were NOT nice guys until they found out they accidentally sterilized their entire race.

define your terms for useful and satisfying.

I vaguely remember it being pretty useful in Zero Mission.

From what I'm reading, it looks less like they sterilized their race and more like they waited too long to start getting their fuck on.

Basically, they were all high and mighty and shit and a bunch of them found super longevity solutions and such and then before they knew it, everyone ho was all older and powerful was too old to be fertile.

>ywn have an old Chozo waifu who longs for your touch

That was in the first game. But it wasn't something that I recall was explicitly explained until later. There wasn't really any "lore" other then the game manuals.

You'd think they could just clone themselves if conventional reproduction wasn't an option anymore but I guess not.

I actually forgot this fucker existed.

(heil'd)

(卐)

Grey Voice's power suit doesn't have an arm cannon, it has one of those staff like cannons that the other Chozo soldiers in the last memory have
Can we talk about how much of a baller Grey Voice is? He, an elderly man of a dying race fought Ridley in an ancient suit with outdated weaponry, managed to destroy a massive portion of the space pirate fleet from the surface of Zebes, and gave Ridely the verbal roasting of his life, all while experiencing excruciating pain due to the psychic block Chozo had put on themselves to prevent them from taking violent action.

I wonder why that power bomb technique was never used again. It was such a cool secret ability.

Gray voice was indeed the hero we needed. No wonder Samus is so hard to put down.

The Crystal Flash? I think it was something you could do in Zero mission but other than there and super, they never really put it into games.

I never actually could perform it

I'm pretty sure you can't do it in Zero Mission. ZM was missing a lot of things from Super, like being able to individually turn off upgrades, which also meant no special charge beam attacks with power bombs. It's one of the reasons I still prefer Super over ZM, despite ZM largely being Super but with a lot of design made specifically for speed runners and people who like to go for a low percent.

i dont see metroid 2s music translating that well into a newer format. it very much relied on its low bit aspects to give it what charm it had

Can tell this was originally drawn by a marxist, because they con't even comprehend basic physics.

Life is suffering.

That would work here in Australia, not 100% on where you live, but pre-owned stuff comes with a 1 year money back warranty