"You mean you have to use your hands?" "That's like a baby's toy!"

Welcome anons to finally seeing the Back to the Future Meme magic happen. We now have a video giving 7 examples of things in vidya in the past that are worse than now.

The ride never ends.

Other urls found in this thread:

jewtube.com/
people.xiph.org/~jm/opus/opus-1.2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Your OP reads so confidently it's a shame you post such shit

I cannot deny that. Also it's the best I can do, or want to do.

Casuals enjoy being casuals. It is embarassing to watch so I didn't get past the first one. Also fuck anything presented in a list format like that.

His only valid point is multiplayer and maybe water levels.

At least he made one.

There's no pleasing you Webm fags.

The only legitimate point he raised was shitty movie tie-ins, and missed the point of games completely, otherwise. What a shit.

But all of those are true, except maybe for time limits, especially in splatter house 3 where it directly affects the story.
Fucking tell me how lives, water levels, non-multiplayer, unrelated tie-ins, head swaps and non-endings are good.

I'll give him the ending that's just a paragraph of text is pretty fucking awful.
The rest are cancer

What

The modern alternative to no multiplayer is always online multiplayer games like overwatch. Also the amount of decent multiplayer games has absolutely decreased

Forces you to get better at the game. The ending is a reward, but only for closure on the game's context. Story literally doesn't matter.

There's just fewer platformers. The 90's were full of them, and now they're not.

You can literally pass the controller. He's mad because it doesn't have drop-in multiplayer with online leaderboards. When's the last time you played on a couch with your friends?

SF2's limitation was because they needed to have two "similar" characters for beginners to default two, hence Ken and Ryu. There were cheats to palette swap them and pick the same character anyways, since there was a limit of one player on one character - you couldn't both pick it.

In terms of design, Dan and Akuma have similar moves visually but they execute very differently. Even the MK ninjas (the games where they have like 6 of them) all have different hitboxes. They are different. He's complaining about graphics.

Literally his only good point.

Lives coupled with bullshit difficulty was a mechanism that made sure you won't beat a hour long game in one sitting and have to restart a whole thing from scratch wile learning it wasting time on earlier stages.

I rather have water levels and same characters over overwatch anyday, so long as I get the gameplay from back then too

clickbait is clickbait, and nobody here wants clickbait

WeW

Is that Lemon Demon?
I remember him. Is he around? I know he later went on to make a bunch of mashup albums.

Shouldn't you be writing a Polygon article? Also, shitty tie-ins and head swaps are still a thing, and if you want to bitch about the story we've got way bigger problems in the form of everything either being a "cinematic experience" or a barebones tutorial for the multiplayer, which oftentimes shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Of course there aren't gonna be cutscenes at the end of a NES game, faggot, but there should at least be pictures. He was complaining about games only having a fucking paragraph of text with no pictures and that's it.
Games like Megaman on the other hand had great endings with good music.

How is that bad? People like you is why we have shit like Rayman Legends.

Why do people find the Water Temple from OOT hard? I beat that shit easily back when the game was still new & a few years back after not playing it in over ten years. JabuJabu's belly from Oracle of Ages was tedious though

Niel Cicierega is his actual name and he released a new mashup song a couple of days ago on youtube.

Don't think he does flash animations any more.

You know about memory restraints and all that right?

Funny you should ask; he uploaded a couple videos a few days ago.

Water Temple is a fucking meme and the only reason people had a hard time with it is because OoT was literally babby's first vidyo gam for them.

I love this man.

It's a system that made sure you got good before beating them game, instead of just savescuming your way to "victory".

He also cried about Jontron saying retard.

Yes?
One picture isn't exactly pushing it. Most games didn't reach the limit with their content either way. They didn't avoid ending pictures because of space restraints, it was because they didn't think people cared.

He was a goon, of course he's gonna be a whiny liberal. All that I cared about was his music.

They did actually, lots of games had to cut content because of it and higher storage carts were more expensive and not easily affordable by every publisher, that's why as time went on NES games got seemingly more complex, that AND mastery of the hardware.

Christ I haven't seen this ages

1)Lives: Get fucking good. These reward skill.
2)Reskins: Using limited hardware and resources to give the players more content.
3)Short endings. Your reward is that you had fun playing a good video game and surpassing it's challenges.
4)Water levels: Too subjective. Plenty of good examples that were not included like fucking Mario or Megaman.
5)Time limits: See lives.
6)One thing were they are correct.
7)Movie tie in games. Once again, no good examples like Golden Eye or King Kong.

Verdict: Video maker is a faggot.

Most games didn't have to cut a lot of relevant amount of content, and if they did, you're talking about games that were ambitious and showed they actually cared, and probably had some pictures at the end. I'm talking about games that didn't give a fucking shit and you can clearly tell they had storage to spare.
You're gonna tell me Ghost N Goblins didn't have spare storage for ONE fucking picture when it has less stages than other NES games when you don't count the fact that the stages are repeated?

Lives are supposed to be bad, a game over is a punishment, without them what incentive do you have to get better, without them you can just chance your way through any and all encounters without any fear of losing progress aka your time investment.

Yeah

To use an old meme, "Git gud".
I've got nothing for that one.
Look up golf.
Expand upon the story the movie established.
Balance? They seem to make games a lot better when you have nothing but clones in multiplayer.
As long as it has good music, they're a lot better than some of the recent endings to games that I've seen.

So, should I find it funny that I but OoT within two weeks without an struggle, meanwhile haven't beaten Oracle of Season in the 16 years I've owned it?

agreed. splitscreen multiplayer, where you are physically in the room with your friends, is the best

We still have palette swaps in games today. Nioh is full of them for example. Not that there's any thing wrong with them in the first place.

It's wasn't difficult, just tedious because of the iron boots. I didn't have much issue with but iirc that's what people typically complained about.

The music is Ok

Thanks for wasting my time then

Oh i'm sorry for wasting yer time your majesty, I am sure you had so much important stuff to deal with but this pesky peasant who forced you to reply to him kept pestering you.

It's almost like it's a signal that says "Hey, this guy is similar to this other guy you fought before, but a little different!"

It's to be expected on Holla Forums I guess

A cart isn't like a CD or DVD that has a standard amount of ROM on it. It varies heavily from game to game. I don't know the specifics but it entirely possible that they didn't have enough space left.

Precisely. Palette swaps are in fact good game design when used right.
Personally, I think FFXII has the comfiest palette swaps of any game I've ever played.

When you're designing a game, you're going to decide before hand what that storage is going to be dedicated to. It's not hard to cut corners when all you need is a picture. Just make one background smaller and make it loop, people won't tell the difference. They'll remember if all they got at the end was a lousy end screen paragraph of text. Even early titles like Castlevania which came out a year after the NES came out in America had a picture at the end.

This post is the Dark Souls of Holla Forums.
What's even worse than seeing a Lemming use the Dark Souls meme is seeing someone who should know better using it.

just for you user, more cancer. Technically it's 40% vidya related.

not sure why it entered, but here is fucboi ifrit

Except the fag wants more then pictures, he precisely says that he would like a mini-movie. He complains about the Bad Dudes ending even though it isn't a wall of text and has a special scene.

Game development in the 80s, specially japanese one was nothing at all like it is today. Not everything was planified beforehand and whichever ROM size carts were going to be use was entirely up to the publisher and could change at any moment.

this

Donkey Kong, had a pretty good underwater level.

He complained about the Doom ending which was indeed just text.

Which is why I think that sort of planification is actually an improvement nowadays and thus a valid point.

Rayman 2 had some amazing water stages with great music.

The only really valid complaint (i.e. not a problem that either isn't really a problem or is still a fucking problem) is the multiplayer that's a glorified controller handoff.

I thought Doom ended with Doomguy killing John Romero, though I could be mistaken and that's from Doom 2 or some wad.

You mean the easter egg?

You are gay, OP.

no, you nigger, it's not a valid point and you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
is how we ended up with 45gb downloads, dumbshit. restrictions breed creativity and GnG would not be a better game if it had a pretty picture at the end

this is a funny post but it's implausible even on Holla Forums that people don't know downvotes are just traffic that lets (((google))) further tailor your viewing experience

Things are better now because game design plans ahead, not because of more space, which wouldn't have made sense at the time.

>Dark Souls as a substitute to Game Over, begin again you fucking faggot
He hasn't even played it.

wrong chinese 100+1 dog tselementes board ,the data mining farm you're looking for is down the hall to the left

But user, "Is the Dark Souls of" is the Dark Souls of video game commentary. Only the most veteran and experienced video game reviewers could correctly use such a phrase.

Depends on the game. Longer, broader and more complex games have a good point for having saves, but action-oriented games seriously need them so they don't feel like "load a save and rush like a retard until you win"
Don't forget to buy more CS:GO knives, goyim!
Well, empty static image endings did suck in obscure games, but he also used some examples of memorable text endings like DOOM and Bad Dudes, so it's kinda confusing.
Naw, a few of them were unoriginal filler but i really miss exotic water levels tbh, I'd like to see more water levels now that at least there's better swimming controls.
GIT FUCKING GUD, time limits were the best shit, specially the ones that alter missions or story. Every true non-cinematicshit game should have at least one.
SMB3 did it right, otherwise splitscreen and hotseat games like Worms were also fun.
I don't play movie based games so i have no opinion there, other than
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Holy fuck I'm not even that good at vidya and none of these are valid complaints

2 seconds in and he is already wrong

Do people still not understand that a "golden age" isn't something that can actually exist in the present? It only applies in hindsight.

Not shitting on lives system, but lives system existed because of arcade machines and it was representation of coins you payed to an arcade machine, allowing you a certain number of plays depending on how much you payed.

Proper games just send you to the start of the levels, with no limitations how many times you die (megaman for example).

You really shown a bad example. Red and blue oni are supposed to look the same, its a cultural thing. They draw them differently sometimes, but its still supposed to be the reference to blur/red onis.

The list isn't even that bad, just they're examples are fucking shit (except for water levels, those suck ass). Boring palette swaps are shitty but they still exist today (just nowadays it's characters that look different but play exactly the same) and Gouki, Ryu, Dan and Ken all play completely different. Limited lives themselves aren't bad but when you use them like old games used them, only to make the game longer and not to actually provide anything to the gameplay, they're fucking horrible and only existed because the games would've been extremely short you having to retry over and over again. I agree on the not multiplayer multiplayer, that shit is lame. I also agree on the lame endings, that's excusable though if I get a cool unlock as compensation. Tie ins were shitty but I think there were also a few tie in games that were better than the actual movie.

OP here.

70 posts in and I see that anons didn't want notice a small thing from video.

The video creator is comparing day 1 dlc, season passes, and microtransactions to those 7 bad things of old vidya. So ignore how jewed you are getting now goym. Don't feel bad about losing those sheckles goym.

He's not comparing them. He's acknowledging they're bad things and offering ways in which old games were bad too.

jewtube.com/

Some of them even charge extra for it.

What the fuck user get out and never come back

I have reason to believe that the original poster has sexual relations with other men.

Gotta watch that tongue of his user. Rewatch it a few times.

I did, he never excused the current problems with past problems, he merely pointed out how both eras had it bad in some ways. He even called the past problems minor inconveniences.

nothing he said was wrong except for movie tie in video games not still being shit, prove me wrong

something awful truly is cancer

you got a source for that image user?

Comparing user. Comparing. As if both are on the same playing field. What the creator didn't do was say that the jewery was worse than those the past inconveniences.

Yeah. It's an Altaria.

I'll let the others in the thread do it for me and just laugh at you for being a retard
Please kill yourself
Multiplayer isn't some objective good you shit; game devs generally run on very limited budgets and the more code and time they put into multiplayer, the less they put into the original game
You can't even play games like Diablo 3 (which I never would anyways) offline now, which is retarded as fuck
What's next, you going to be against Easter eggs too? These are just general fun for the devs
(disclaimer- I can't watch the video yet so I'm not entirely sure what's meant by these 2)
These are not objective evils or flaws at all at the end of the day, just a circlejerk about reddit opinions
>>>/reddit/

I can understand finding the video bad. I think it's dumb as well, but you're putting words in his mouth. He acknowledges current practices are bad. He's not excusing them. He's being a fag about minor inconveniences, sure, but he's not saying current bad practices are even OK.

Okay, so it's fairly well confirmed to be another faggot that's never actually played a video game. Imagine that.

wew lad

Opinion discarded!

Thats not the real classic

My fair and balanced critique of the demented anglers at outsidexbox and their low hanging clickbait:

T hat's what they did back in a time when video games were mainly in the arcades: find ways for gamers to dump more "coins" per unit of time into the machines to pay the bills. Cabinets came with dip switches setting the amount of lives per credit and/or how many coins for a credit. Want to complete the game with one credit? Learn to play. Or watch other kids beat the game with one credit, then do the same yourself.

I am positive that the ouphe who wrote the text for this video doesn't know what a kilobyte is, because that's the general, relatively small unit of space ROM chips were measured in back in the 80s, slowly moving up to megabytes towards the 90s. ROMs of that size were expensive to make, so the developers had to cram the game into those small amounts of space, some way or other. Palette swaps was such a way. Instead of creating a new enemy with a new behaviour (costing little ROM) and a new set of sprite animations (costing a lot of ROM), simply keep the new behaviour, do a palette swap and use all that ROM you just saved on more game. That's not a bad thing, that's good thinking in an era where you didn't have 60gb to fill up with code, enemy "AI", uncompressed movies, textures, geometries, mocap animations and soundtracks (and then lock some of that behind a pay wall).

S ee 2. ROM's limited, so want more game or more ending? Couldn't have the cake and eat it, too.

S o what? Don't like water levels? I don't like cheap, shitty List videos written and cobbled together by paid, professional simpletons for easy views, but that's just me.

H hmm, see 1.

I am certain 2 has something to do with it. It was basically the suits telling the programmers that they needed to add multiplayer into their single player game one way or another, and the best they could cram into the ROM was taking turns. Not optimal but just like now, the overall quality of dev teams tends to vary. Also cherry picking, once the ROM sets could spit out lots of sprites at the tail end of the 80s, plenty of arcade games got built for multiplayer, and they were generally built well. After all, what's better than one person tossing coins into a cabinet? Multiple persons doing so at the same time!

T his is again related to 2. Take "Back to the Future". Great movie, but how you do you turn something that is basically a book brought to life into a game with rules that need to work + graphics + music + code when you have, say, 512 kilobytes to play around with? And what if you're a small Japanese dev team being commissioned by Universal Pictures (who doesn't know shit about games) to do this in about 6 weeks? Right. Universal will send the devs some video and music assets, promotional material and a shoddy japanese translation of the script. Then the devs get to work out what genre of game it's going to be (or a mashup of genres), make sure some of the most striking art/music assets are converted to bytes, toss in a few sprite sets from games that never got released to save time, and voila, you got yourself a game.

Old games faced real technical limitations (as in "we've got 320x200 pixels, 16 colours and 4 mips" limitations), combined with a need for fast moving, coin guzzling arcade action. This led to certain standards which cannot be compared to those we now have, decades later. It's like calling old movies bad because they are lacking sound, colour and/or 3D. It's like DSP in 2014 when he lol'ed at Resident Evil 2's FMVs even though those were considered technically excellent when it was released in 1998. He, and outsidexbox are disingenuous buffoons. This further proves how shit gaming journalism has become, not just because of muh current year but also from a technical/knowledge standpoint.

Then again, our guiding light Dean Takahashi has declared that you don't need to be good at video games to be a professional gaming journalist. Guess outsidexbox has taken that to heart.

It's called gitting gud. Back when video games were just video games the devs would make obstacles that could hamper your way and if you did badly then you would lose a life and have to restart until you got good at that part. I fucking hate how I live in a universe where retards don't know why there are limits in place in a fucking video game.

He's an sjw goon faggot.

My main complaint about the Water Temple is the one key that wasn't in a chest that could be overlooked.

If you have a very narrow scope of videogames, they're true. All of those issues, if you want to call them that, are still present in one way or another.

to add on to that, the doom video footage is stolen(without any credit) from another video.

OP here
Gotta add to the cancer, ya know? How about we compare ultimates from MvsC3 and MvC:I

Who fucking cares since both games are shit.

i will give him that one
is this nigger for real?
Thanks for the webm, OP, i guess.

OP here.

You know what user, you're right. What we truly need is a meme magic of
What better way than using outdated and predictable endings of games?

You are right user. It is an old.
4 months old.

It's funny because a couple of days ago my GF and I watched all three back to the Future movies and she flipped when she realised this kid is baby Frodo.

Got another one for ya.
This one always freaked me out.

This needs an edit with modern VR with plastic vagina set.

Now I am enraged enough to go to sleep. Jesus fucking crist, why everyone thing they are entitled to winning if they suck? What the point of winning if you cant even fucking lose? Just watch a fucking movie instead unrelated to next point.
What a horrible thing to do. Something new in 8 bit instead of something you already seen in theater. Good thing we have interactive movies which are just like regular movies, but twice as long and you have to press X at set intervals. Now you can enjoy eating shit trice as much! One time when you watch shitty modern move and two times when you "play" shittier version of that movie for twice as long! Not like these dark ages when kids played chipNdale, duck tales, ninja turtles, lion king, etc.
And if you point out that they dont have enough lives or time because they suck they tell you that they dont have time to play it. But game fucking limits the time you can play it! And fucking kids were able to beat it. But it was proven that game journos are dumber than fucking pigeons.

You are wrong here. Its just a way to lie to people, that game has features it dont actually has. Like MP in nu male sky. And its really stupid fucking thing, you can just pass the controller instead.
Although I cant be sure since it was a long fucking time ago I think it could be used to "play" with someone, while he thinks he is playing while in actuality he is not. Like a little kid, who know what games are, but cant play himself, and grow barely enough to hold controller in his hands.
To be honest I expected something much worse, like complaining about HoMM.

So 1/7 barely hits or like game journalists say 7/10, great review.

Anyone got a TL;DW? I can't tolerate this slimey accent

Just another youtube clickbait video. I can't understand why someone would bother to make a thread about it.

Lives for the most part were made pointless by saving systems, unless the game pulls something like Donkey Kong Country, only letting the player save every few levels, so progress is still on the line. Modern Mario games may as well just not have them.
Lives aren't bad design. You just have to handle them smartly, which no one does these days.

Where did this hatred of water levels and sewer levels even come from?

Bad ones.

No, fuck you. OP did good by not embedding the video.

I dont get it

Here OP, I kicked it up a notch. Protip: make sure you are on the latest build of ffmpeg so you can use the latest version of Opus for audio, then lower the bitrate.

For more information about the latest Opus release: people.xiph.org/~jm/opus/opus-1.2/