What could cause a Game Crash in the modern day? Is it even possible now that video games are so popular?

What could cause a Game Crash in the modern day? Is it even possible now that video games are so popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/tech/2017/09/20/toys-r-us-lost-huge-video-game-market-share-before-filing-for-bankruptcy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

North Korea nuking several major cities on the west coast

A pandemic that kills the majority of the population that plays games.

A popular anti-piracy service causing widespread damage to personal and business systems… wait, no. Equi-fucks screwed the pooch major league, and their fuckery will have ruined people for half a century or more, going forward, when they find they cannot get a home loan or collect social security benefits because some border jumper hijacked their ID and ruined their credit/acquired a shitload of criminal convictions. They literally took the money and ran.

Memory leaks fucking suck yo.

Making videogames harder would be a good idea, although that doesn't provoke a crash. But it sure would make the community a whole lot better.

I don't think it's possible.
I think maybe at some point AAA publishers would switch to mobile gaming or whatever new fad would show up, but I don't think a crash is possible because
I don't think a crash will happen, but I think there's a possibility that the AAA sewage gets filtered out, or replaced by different AAA sewage. Who knows.

Have Trump say he's a huge gamer

Gaming could certainly see some kind of crunch/recession, but not a crash. Budgets are too bloated these days and people are either out of money or are getting wise to AAA Jewry. A scaling down would be nice and necessary for the industry to grow creatively.

At this point it's like Hollywood. It's pretty much too big to fail on its own.

Kojima is right once again.

Hollywood is doing worse and worse each year. Maybe it won't fail, but once the capeshit bucks dry up we will probably see something akin to the early 70s when the studio system had to go through a major restructuring and brought in talent that was almost entirely new blood.

breitbart.com/tech/2017/09/20/toys-r-us-lost-huge-video-game-market-share-before-filing-for-bankruptcy/

I don't think it's possible for the whole industry to crash. But it is possible for consoles to crash and burn (might happen soon, even before the next gen launches). This would take out many of the companies who make them (or at least the video-game-producing divisions of those companies), which would also destroy the PC gaming market entirely, leaving behind nothing but mobile games and "free-to-play" flavor-of-the-month casual shit of the type you see advertised on TV.

The end-result of this would be a decade or more of PC development being STAGNANT (Moore's Law since the 90's has been primarily driven by popular PC games demanding more and more resources to run them). Given the current environment, it would probably result in an explosion of indie-funded "retro" games that, if nothing else, aren't resource-intensive. For a while, it might be the only thing we get, and then some of those indie companies will grow larger and wealthier, and release more games, and the cycle will begin again.

Video games have already crashed. People are expecting a crash like we had in the 80s, where studios just disappear and shit hits the fan.

This crash already happened, and it's going to keep happening. You slowly notice your games get less enjoyable, shorter, less content included for the base price. You notice the quality of the games start to take a nose dive, warped UVs, bugs, glitches, hastily thrown together parts of the game. You notice games become lower and lower risk and become more and more of the same. Yet at the same time, to these publishers and developers, they're make or break.

Your favorite AA and A developers all disappear, and are bought by a few major studios who are working on building a monopoly, or at the very least a video game oligarchy.

These big companies who keep buying everything up only live by buying smaller studios with good ideas. They milk those ideas for a game, maybe two if they're lucky, and then series crashes and falls apart. In which they buy up another smaller studio, milk their few good ideas, destroy them, and then move on again. The cycle does not stop.

The market of video games being made by people who are making them because they like video games is dead. You have people who view video games as a form of media to push their political agendas, and you have another that views video games as another form of media to make money off of.

And both of those groups are just exploiting the few remaining developers who just want to make fun games, because it's what they enjoy doing.

EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and Microsoft are the crash.

So we had the crash and this is just the slow burn?

Also, there won't be a crash. Even if the big studios fail (they won't), passable games can be made by illiterate chinks in sweatshops. Just look at where facebook/mobile games are these days. Americans/Europeans certainly aren't the ones cranking out in-browser Diablo clones by the dozen.

And following up in the big studios never failing, certain (((powerful interests))) are still lining up to use video games as propaganda deployment. If GG hadn't been subverted, they might've actually done any amount of investigation into the DIGRA/MacArthur connection to Silverstring and the myriad ultra-left influences in the video game industry, plus the push to 'gamify' education by descendants of a certain nomadic tribe.

Will there ever be any new small/mid-size companies? Is the indie scene still not mature enough for most small studios to become AA companies or are indie devs just going to stay in their "i'm new pls don't oppress me" shell? Or is there no more chance of survival for those companies having AAAs around?

Cuckchan thread
Fuckoff, its too big to crash
You'll see casuals move to mobiles and thats about it.

It's like a slow motion crash, maybe a slow burn? I like you calling it a slow burn more than a crash.

tbh I just ripped off the Holla Forums post about things slowly getting bad with no major event to mark things going downhill. And then one day you wake up and realize everything sucks and it's too late to do anything about it. But I thought of that post and realized it applied extremely well to video games.

Realistically, that's what's happened. In the 90s, we got id software making Doom, which was pretty revolutionary for the time. The big breakout indie game in recent history is Minecraft, some shitty Java version of infiniminer. The talent is gone, and the money and politics are in.

Nothing, the market is too big. Even the mythical 1983 "crash" was: 1) limited to consoles, and 2) local to North America.
But we can still have slumps in certain parts of the market. That's what's happening with AAA games now.

the only way for any sort of downturn is if a large games distributor like Steam or itch.io goes belly-up, killing 95% of the indie market and other smaller dev teams that made a living using those two storefronts. But beyond that, a global nuclear crash will not happen.

Western normalfags moving on to the next big fad.