Are there any good examples of RNG?

Are there any good examples of RNG?

pic unrelated

Branching paths in a labyrinth that change per playtrough, but no path is longer or harder to than the others.

So the RNG in Daggerfall is acceptable in its genre?

dunno, never played it

But isn't the map in it fixed in every playtrough, despite being procedurally generated?

Either way, my example wasn't very good, it would drive speedrunners mad.

Depends how you look at RNG, for instance if you have an enemy with say 50% evasion you might as well consider it immune to physical and just use magic.

RNG is inherently flawed, but a necessary evil

Like Mark, really

Visual stuff is refreshing if there's some randomness to it.
The different pokémon colors in Pokemon Stadium And then in Polished Crystal are amazing for me.

Dunno why that flag won't stop following but I think it's giving me good luck

Also, this.
Whitout it games can be too predictable and eventually boring.
Unless it's a competitive game, in this case the less RNG the better.

Thats a horrible analogy. Mark is replaceable and should be gotten rid of simply because he is a kike. RNG is nothing like Mark and serves a purpose.

Mazes have branching paths. Labyrinths have a single winding path.

Honestly even "dirty RNG" can be good in the right game, it's just bad in competitive games and those that use it badly to the point where it feels unfair and arbitrary.

Procedural level generation isn't always good.
It doesn't have proper level design and can make some playtrough much more unforgiving than others.

Mark is a flawed evil and unneeded.

Is that a bad thing?
And sure, the level design to go along has to be good as well, it doesnt have intrinsic worth even if nu males sky would've liked it.

You stupid fucking goyim know you can't think for yourselves, just sit back and let your overlord work things out for you. All you neeed to concern your inferior little gentile minds with is keeping my cakes flowing, ok?

No. Thread is now about OP's pic, setting filthy saracens on fire from my boat. Any games where I can do this?

Without Mark, Jim, Imkapmfy and reddit refugees, Holla Forums will not survive.

The best RNG is when single RNG events can't make or break a playthrough or end a session, etc.

RNG should be dispersed so that the overall effect of it is dampened out and it makes small peaks and valleys in an otherwise linearly defined play experience, if that makes any sense.

For example: XCOM RNG isn't good because a single bad RNG roll can cause a cascade of failures leading to an abrupt end in a game. A single bad RNG roll should be punishing, but it shouldn't be so bad as to make all risk almost unacceptable.

For instance, in original XCOM having a high % shot miss which triggers multiple thin men who all hit or crit your high level character in heavy cover killing him within one turn. In this case, inversely normalizing RNG somewhat would be a good difficulty option to ease the pain of bad rolls. (Something where RNG %'s are pushed higher or lower depending on which side and how far from 50% they lie.)

That's just my opinion though.

Procgen can work, but the more RNG that's involved the more rules need to be added to steer the result away from being an absolute clusterfuck. F-Zero X comes to mind with half the tracks killing every AI racer on the first turn.

WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T ANYONE LISTEN

I know of only one

Is that TW: Attila?

AI with an RNG component in weighing its choices is better than a 100% predictable AI: If tactics A, B, and D are all good choices for the AI with roughly equal value it's better if it picks one of the three randomly (RNG) instead of always going with A. An AI with a chance to make an outright mistake like a human would make is even better.

Making success dependent on anything besides player skill is cancer. No exceptions.

Yes

this

RNG is only good for party games where you have to level the playing field somehow.

Sim City 3000 was also fun, though the RNG also affected airports and seaports, so you could never fully quite get those to look right (they had to be zoned, like everything else). 4 fixed that problem by making them independent structures that you plop down, and in the case of airports, took forever to build.

RNG doesn't necessarily preclude you from other gameplay mechanics, and can be used to good effect in a variety of games and genres.

It's RNG. It's random. The only way it's good or bad is if it coincidentally benefits you or not. Anyone who claims otherwise is a big fuckin baby.

"Physics based RNG" is something I wish there was more of in games. It adds a somewhat random element to the outcome of any given action since you can't perfectly duplicate the conditions in which they occurred. They're also more satisfying as you can pull off some super wacky bullshit one time and be unable to repeat it, the equivalent to this in pure RNG being rolling a high number which isn't particularly remarkable. The game which outlined this to me is Myth, projectiles could have been boring and by the numbers but they decided to add a physics system, so you can have stuff like units being killed by body-parts being blown around by an explosion, and wind and obstacles effecting projectiles.

I would also it cite as an example of good RNG in that the Dwarf units explosives sometimes do not detonate on impact, but can bounce once or twice before going off or fail to detonate completely. However the latter is not a complete loss as un-detonated explosives can be triggered by follow up shots and can have results more devastating than two consecutive successful shots would have.

Yeah, Daggerfall had good quest generation.

RNG is only good if it affects the story, not the outcome. In other words, it adds variety to the player's experience without significantly impacting the player's ability to succeed. This is the critical distinction.

Examples of good RNG:
>Randomized enemies of equal power level

Examples of bad RNG:

Additionally, RNG can be gently guided under certain conditions without resorting to outright rigging outcomes:

I'd love to see Pokemon autists freak out if that shit was ever in an official Pokemon game. Imagine:

He asked Hotwheels once for a cut of the ads money on Holla Forums, never trust a jew user

Your mom.

Yours gives in to my dick every single time user you pansy little bitch.

Yes, when you can influence the RNG to an extent.

Just remembered The World End With You and Pokemon are also examples of this.

Has anyone ever heard of someone autistic enough to try to catch all the Spinda variations? There are over 2 billion of them. There HAS to be someone still working on it.

user there are 2.5-3.5 billion seconds in a human life (this is a generous estimate of about 80 to over 100 years old), no one person can catch 2 billion variations.

Hmm? Can you explain, it's been a while since I played Isaac.

Since when has fact ever stopped autism?

i hate rng so much that my game won't have any rng, it just has cycles through a pattern

Every game has some micro-rng

Picking certain items in isaac removes certain items from the itempool for the current playthrough, for example there is an item to remove all pills, and one to remove all tarot cards.
Chaos also makes it so all the AVAIBLE item pools (the item pools are never full of every item they can have, but they are decided when you start your game, excluding a dozen or more items) are merged into one, making every item have a chance to appear anywhere.
The golden and white question marks makes it so you can spawn two boss/treasure room items and pick your favourite.
And then you have the dice(s).
Tbh just play antibirth.

Shotgun

Half presses are real, goy!

Underrated post.

Master of Orion.

Granted, the game still has some bullshit RNG moments, in particular its random events which can be far too impactful in the positive or negative sense. Sometimes the random tech from artifact planets also is a bit unbalancing.

Bullet spread in guns.
Damage spread in spells providing additional risk/reward (fire has narrow damage min-max, lightning has wide min-max)
Gambling minigames
Tactical turn based games where risk is an integral part of the gameplay (i.e. XCOM)
Most rogue-lites
Critical hit chances

Thinking about it there are such a huge number of good examples that it would almost be easier to discuss bad examples.

You need to account for this kind of stuff when judging whether to engage an opponent otherwise you might as well just play chess.

RNG is nothing more then a easier system that dev use to pretend to be more complex systems more out of lack of knowledge of the kinda system they wish to replicate. the other reason is for skinner boxes tbh

Those benefit strongly from weighted RNG of the sort the TGM games have. While you have to play the pieces you're dealt you should rarely end up in impossible situations unless you're bad at the game because it's designed not to give "runs" or "droughts" of a piece.

Bad RNG in competitive games would be Mario Party, where chance time can be an unavoidable fuck you, but if RNG factors heavily (as in Poker) then you can't gauge a player's skill except by long-term.

These two

good
bad
meh
good
mostly good
Critical hit is a way of nonlinearly increasing damage with attack speed. Some systems use a charging mechanic for critical hit where non-crit results increase crit chance until the crit resets the crit chance.

You even have nonrandom "every third attack is a crit"

RNG is great for simulating a more complex system but that requires integrating player choices into the RNG model. Consider a flat crit chance versus increased crit chance when flanking or increased crit chance when the target is stunned.

There are plenty of good games out there which use controlled RNG. Unlike normal RNG where smooth victory is often determined by chance, with controlled RNG you know what to expect, just not the specifics. This way both game knowledge and reflexes can be tested.

For example, when Dracula in CV1 uses his *teleports behind you* attack, he can teleport either in front or behind you, but the window to dodge and counterattack is incredibly tight, and the direction he'll teleport in is entirely random. You know he's going to strike, you just don't know where, and thus you need to adapt really fast if you want to survive.

I thought you were telling me that this was in actual Crystal and I was going to never be more certain of anything than that Crystal was the best Pokémon game. -though I do already think that.

Stellaris' research system. When you select a research option, you're given 3 choices of research (can have more depending on other factors). The research options are weighted based on the scientist's specialization, your empire's ethics and previous research. For example, a militaristic government will get weapons and warfare related research more often than a pacifist empire. Once a research is completed, you get 3 new options to select. Higher tiers of research require a certain number of research options having been completed from the previous tiers.

So you could get lucky and get a really good research fairly on but you won't get unlucky and never get the research you need because you can stack the odds so high in your favor it'll show up sooner than later.

All jokes and jewish connections aside Mark is doing a pretty good job since we are all still here and there is no immediate danger of a sudden societal collapse of the community. Sure, it ain't perfect but nothing is and our overweight yiddish overlord actually listens to the community and occasionally makes positive changes. It sure as hell beats going to literally every single other place on the internet where video games are discussed.

Thank you video game-themed cake merchant! You're our greatest ally!

Criticals in Fire Emblem