How would Holla Forums rank the MetroidVania Castlevania games?

How would Holla Forums rank the MetroidVania Castlevania games?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/ps/196885-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night/faqs/30576
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow > SOTN > Order Of Ecclesia > Everything else.

oh fugg I forgot SotN in the list

also, what're you basing that on?

Personal taste. If i go through gameplay or replay value i would put SOTN top over everything else.

SOTN has so much weird extra crap that makes it blast to replay every couple years. I like to try playthroughs with only weak weapons, or no familiars/spells/items, or even bare-ass naked.

gamefaqs.com/ps/196885-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night/faqs/30576

Aria>Symphony>Portrait>Circle>Dawn>Ecclesia

Dawn>SotN>Portrait>Aria>Lament>Harmony>Circle>Order

SOTN>AOS>OOE>POR>COTM>HOD>piss>3D castlevanias>shit>mighty blunder>DOS
Dear god I fucking hate dos.

no you didn't. it's right where it belongs.

I see a 'Metroidvania' list with no metroid

Aria>Symphony>Portrait>Dawn>Ecclesia>Curse>Moon>Dissonance

I don't consider Lament to be a Metroidvania.
Ecclesia would have been higher if it didn't have such boring level design.
Curse would have been lower because it had some of the worst level design I've seen, but I really liked the crafting system. I had so much fun creating new weapons, armor and devils that I barely noticed how grindy it was.

Symphony>Aria>Portrait>Ecclesia>Dawn>Harmony>Circle

I put Lament and Curse separately, although I think Lament is better than Curse.

I replay it every year, only game I replay regularly. I just love all the little details and it had aesthetically the best castle I think. I like the sit back and examine the areas when I replay it

For me it's SOTN>OOE>Aria>Harmony>Dawn>Curse>Circle

Harmony gets shit on a lot but I liked the weird look of the castle, like Dracula's interior designer dropped acid this time around.

If we're counting fangames the Lecarde Chronicles 2 is probably one of my favorites. It feels like simon's quest except with vastly superior level design and the final castle at the end was awesome. Definitely the best gallery area of the series for me.

aira/OoE
PoR
CotM
HoD
Dawn
That's all I have played so far so I wont comment on the others other than to say SotN is coming up soon on my backlog
also the OG castlevania is pretty great

Circle of the Moon >>> Portrait of Ruin > Dawn of Sorrow > Aria of Sorrow > pigshit > Symphony of the Night > Harmony of Dissonance

Never bothered to even emulate Ecclesia for long; the way Portrait of Ruin pissed away its potential so astoundingly made me give up on the miniseries and its hack producer.

Since I have yet to play Dawn I read up on it and learned about the seal system after defeating bosses. Has anyone tried this on an emulator? Is it as bad as it sounds?

Aria>Symphony>Portrait>Ecclessia>Moon>Dissonance>Dawn

Ecclesia is up there with the better ones in terms of combat and difficulty, but the map design is bland as fuck which I find odd since PoR had decent map design and varied locales.

niggers>niggers>niggers>>>>>>>niggers

Super Metroid is the only game that did MetroidVania right.

CotM > PoR > OoE > SotN > HoD > shit > AoS > DoS

Really, it's this though.

La-Mulana.

Shit tier: all of them

Circle is one of those games that always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It was just so fucking dark but also mixed with weird design decisions it always intrigued me. The only thing that surpassed it in the other games was the optional legion area in Aria of Sorrow.

Is a pretty dank game but I have to question the intuitiveness of a few of its puzzles.

I've been playing it for the past week and I can confirm this statement. Half the game is filled with "kneel at Deborah cliff" tier puzzles. It doesn't help that the game both punishes and rewards you for poking random walls.

1.- Aria/Dawn, mainly because Aria is perfect
2.- SOTN
3.- OOE
4.- Portrait of Ruin
5.- Circle
6.- Harmony of Dissonance

Circle was a game done with effort and love
It had the best Dracula Final boss of all igavanias, excellent replayability with the different modes, and an excellent first portable metroidvania

Did not finish:
Did not play:

Curse is a bit of a guilty pleasure to me because of the crafting system. But what's wrong with Portrait? It had varied settings, great level design, multiple paths and a lot of extra content. And on a more personal note I enjoyed the nods to Bloodlines, which is one of my favorite of classic Castlevania's.

AoS > SotN > PoR > HoD > Shit > CotM

Did not play Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow.

This is clearly a thread for Metroidvanias, not Metroid-likes and linear shit like Cave Story and Strider.

The game gives you all the required information to solve every puzzle. But the second to final puzzle in the game(reciting the mantras) is fucking bullshit. The logic behind it is sound(Hint:Read the fucking manual), but the amount of time it would take to solve it is actually more than just brute forcing that shit.
And then there's Hell Temple.

I feel like this one was pretty bullshit to be honest. It looked to me like a room of 7 people having a party.

Do you consider Simon's Quest a MetroidVania?

There is something real cathartic about replaying a game I rented on a whim when it first came out. Though personal power rankings for me is
SotN > Castlevania 1 > DoS/AoS > the DS Castlevaina games > Super Castlevaina > Castlevaina 3 > LoI > that one fucking Castlevaina fighting game > that 360 xbla game