There's never been a point in my life where rooty tooty point-'n-shooty games have ever been my favorite genre...

There's never been a point in my life where rooty tooty point-'n-shooty games have ever been my favorite genre, but I find as the years go on it's dropping lower and lower and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of games.

Is it possible to grow out of FPS games, but not other genres of vidya?

Post all of the genres you like.

You pretentious little faggot. Tastes changing != "growing out of something".
How about you grow out of life instead and hang youtself?

get out reddit

Are you sure you've "grown out" of it or do you mean you just got burnt out? FPS games used to be my favorite too until CS:GO cannibalized much of CS:S's playerbase and TF2 and Halo 3 went to shit.
It wasn't until late 2015 did I start enjoying FPS games again. I spent a lot of that time I was burnt out playing JRPGs and 3rd person survival horror games(I was so burnt out that even first person turned me off from a game) and have better taste for it.
tl;dr - Spend time in other genres and come back in a year or two

Sounds like you have AIDS OP.

Makes sense to me. FPS is probably the genre where it's easiest to become 100% disenchanted.

You haven't grown out of shit.
You said it yourself that you didn't ever like them all that much, and with the direction the genre's gone recently nobody can blame you for not picking any up.

first person shooters are usually the first genre you grow out of once you become an adult.

When you get older than 26, your reflexes start to slowly become worse for the rest of your life. Maybe that's why you don't like shooters anymore.

shooters aren't exactly a reflex intensive genre.

record time to thread over?

The problem is that you're a little faggot who wishes he was a girl.

Someone is a fag that hasn't played Quake/UT/any FPS arena.

Why do you redditards insist on being in a place you don't belong?

Are you sure? Because shooting games are objectively several degrees of magnitude shittier compared to the 90s and early 00s. I have always loved shooters and I still love playing Quake 1, Doom etc. But the last new shooter I played for more than an hour or two was… I don't even remember. Level design is practically a forgotten discipline in Western high budget games and low budget shooters are fairly rare (and no I'm not talking about muh arena shooters, most people seem to ignore that shooters had rich single player level design until it went to shit).

Wrong, fag. It has everything to do with the quality of the games.

FPS has the simplest mechanic, usually. The first one to shoot and aim properly is the one that wins in a gunfight. The core concept can be dressed up in various ways, use strategy around the map, defend an objective, attack an objective, etc. But the thing about FPS is you generally don't have much room to innovate in the core gameplay.

Meanwhile, look at RPG. The core of an RPG is to go through a story. You have all sorts of different battle systems, linear stories, open world, etc. There's a lot more developers can do with an RPG than an FPS.

You can tell FPS is limited as a genre, it always feels like FPS game just has some random gimmick tacked on. Overwatch is just the same old shooting game but now you have abilities. There's hoards of military shooters with small gimmicks.

The only shooting game I've been enjoying is Splatoon, and that's because the gimmick is big enough to make the core concept of "aim first shoot first win" feel not as central to the gameplay.

I really can't blame you, OP. We are all cloyed by First Person Shooters because everything's an FPS, even when it works completely to their detriment like Bioschlock Infinite. Everything has to be one because the box is too comfy to think outside of.

That's because arena shooters are a ded genre, and they're never coming back.

why would you bump this

why would you give me a reason to bump it again?

FPS has always been a shallow genre full of pacing issues and bad challenge consistently often due to its free-form, open nature of control. Perhaps you're just tired of games with poor game design structure OP.

Have you ever played 8-Bit Killer? Give it a try and tell me your thoughts on it.

Not sure tbh. Played RTS and RPG games religiously as a kid, hardly have the patience for it now. Loved FPS games as a teen, but can't really stomach it today barring occasional bouts of nostalgia. Just dropped ASSFAGGOTS like the abortion that it is after sinking thousands of hours into them. The only games I play now are older games I played as a kid, but even then I can barely stomach them for more than a few hours a day. I just can't play video games like I used to, it doesn't fill the void inside anymore.