Imagery you fucking love in games but dont know why

Imagery you fucking love in games but dont know why

Pic related, Skeletons in space suits. I think its both connotations of the most extreme example of 'dying alone' combined with 'how the fuck did the body rot to bones in a vaccum?' that makes the image creepy whenever i see it in games. A pile of skeles? no problemo home slice. But one skele in a space suit? wobbles me jhonnies so it does.

nigga
you don't fuckin know how visceral a pile of dem bones be. whenever I see a gather of the bonies I think "oh shit can you even know how many muthafuckas this whatever kind of nigga killed?" all you can answer is no, unless you take the time to count them like a faggot. One skelenigga in some pajamas? nah, that ain't a threat. but a shit ton of niggas turned skinny white dick crackas is, tho.

Pre rendered graphics

8-bit/16-bit skies

I've always been a fan of the more conservative approach to this. i.e. you fight a really tough enemy and some enemy later on kills those real easy compared to you, but keeping it on a small scale.

It's kinda like this: If you're running away from a lion, then another lion is double the threat. If you're running away from 70 lions, 71 lions isn't a much greater threat.

There's something magical about early pre-rendered CGI that real-time rendering just can't match.

It's just uncanny.

I always wanted a game where you could walk around freely in that era of CG.

Nah, it always looks like dogshit with shit-tier textures, highly inconsistent 3D modeling with wasteful polycounts paired with ugly lighting.

Giant statues

Probably has to do with raycasting. Also, I agree.

Opinions

Are you saying that that shit doesn't have shit-tier textures paired with comically wasteful polycounts on rounded objects while everything else looks like trash?

Reminded me of pic related.

I like it :)

For environments? Yes.
For characters? Depends

I think that's exactly what he's saying. Texture quality varies depending on the game, and who gives a flying fuck about "wasteful polycounts" when it's pre-rendered, anyway?

I'll give you that one. That's definitely the reason they used FMVs so often back then.

Sharing my spooky space skeles because i love them

Fact: Any event is made better when viewed from a perspective that emphasizes scale. Views from the bridges of naval vessels doubly so.

bruh

Every single example posted has embarrassingly shit textures compared to modern AAA shit.
Because it's highly inconsistent between objects, making it all clash and look like shit. The aesthetic is trash.

i now renembered i had this too, HOW COME NOBODY DID A PACMAN ASTRONAUT PACE HORROR GAME YET?

This might be relevant to your elephant.

what about a chair made out of boners?

Cities/city lights at night. Especially during/after rain.

This is a fact.

This is an opinion.

And now you know.

I see no chair.

That's debatable, but the style was a thing in the mid-90's, of course textures are gonna have higher quality or at least they should 20 years later. Even then, an appealing artstyle is always more important than graphical fidelity.

But some games are much more consistent in that regard than others.

That makes me think of a dream i had long time ago
Was a pretty amazing experience not gonna lie

it was real in my mind goy, it was real in my mind.

But my opinions are objectively true :^)

Now that Riven screenshot actually looks good. Thank you for finding a single example that wasn't disgusting.

has always looked like shit

English please.

That screenshot in particular looks like shit, but DK is pretty good looking by Gen4 standards with the right meme filter.

You ever play the Old World Blues DLC for Fallout New Vegas? One of the enemies was an autonomous suit with skeletons in them. The suit kept moving around and performing tasks after the occupant had died.

Unfiltered textures, and no it's not nostalgia because I wasn't playing games back then.

Using DD as an example, I think you're more into well done low-poly than "unfiltered textures".

I'd like those models just as much if they were smoothed, it's the textures that I find appealing.

My man

Aren't those models relatively high-poly?

You've probably just defined what it's about, actually. Only without your assessment of it overall.

That's true, the ratio of texture resolution to model resolution is quite different to what you'd see in something like Quake, with maybe twice the amount of polys most of these could pass just fine as something made for a modern AAA game.

The textures work because they're paired with great low-poly art. They'd look terrible on, say, nuDOOM models. Do you mean you like the fact that they don't have some disgusting blurring applied? Because if so, that's a common trait to all well-done low ppoly.

Relative to what, though?

Yes I was referring to the blurring but they would look fine on higher resolution models made with them in mind. nuDOOM models would look awful with it since they rely on the shape a lot for the detail which would clash with the texture but simply subdividing those models once wouldn't hurt them, of course it'd be a terrible idea for that game though since it has to render so many enemies at once but I just mean aesthetically.

Relative to, say, Quake or really any other game with a similar resolution and aesthetic. Not saying it looks bad, I'm a big fan of Hitbox, but I don't think it's a great example of low-poly models.

Also get those filters outta here, fag

I think you'd need higher res textures to match the higher polycount, otherwise you're stepping into disgusting 90s CG territory where the disparity between the textures and the 3D art itself shits all over the aesthetic.

I share your love of sharp, unfiltered textures when paired with good low poly, but I think they really do need be paired with low poly to look good.

I guess, but that's an awfully low bar you're setting. Compared to what, ~99% of 3D games in the last 17 years, it's low poly.
Never, Gen 3-4-5 games look like trash without shaders.

my nigga

I considered adopting this style for my game but then I realized that this sort of stylization is too bold. It instantly makes the game too "indie" looking and makes it that much less visually "clean".

I wish there was a halfway point.

Reminds me of this song.

"Space is wide and good friends are too few."
They didn't have to die. ;_:

Spire doesn't look any less "indie" but it does look cleaner, depends what you mean.

Yeah it's too boldly stylized. I dunno, I'm just very particular about my visual fidelity.

These along with

Are the best in the album.

The poly jitter is probably taking it a bit too far.

Post your game

Gay

Not until I'm comfortable with how it looks.

I listen to this album om my way to work frequently. How is it so good?

I personally do the BotW character style where my textures and models are high resolution but the detail on the textures are very minimal. It looks fairly nice but more importantly for indie development you can iterate extremely quickly since color/outline is the fastest part of texturing and high resolution modeling isn't much more time consuming than low poly, it's arguably faster. No art style is worth taking significantly longer to work in which is why pixel art is the absolute worst, yes it can look amazing when done by an amazing artist but they could use that time to make a hundred characters/whatever in a faster art style or a hundred iterations of the same one until it's absolutely perfect.

God i just want PE to come back even if its the greatest monkeys paw.

That or vagrant story.

Completely alien skylines on a planet you start off thinking might be earth. Bonus points if it's never explained.

It's fucking incredible due to how much of a work of art the background can be, perfectly built to blend to the environment.

Good times.

Fucking underrated game on Holla Forums

I want it

I would totally play a Dark Souls with GC / DS graphics

yo imma stealing this

places that look like resorts but arent.
especialy if it involves water.

Then how do you know you love it, retard?
Do you not reflect upon things you love to understand why you feel that way? Are you just a chimp who acts based on instinct alone?

user, do you love bananas but you just can't imagine why?

Holy shti this i dont know why this looks so good but it does

The locations were some of the most iconic of all my childhood, it's just a bitch to find any decent quality versions of the background images.

Still, I'll never get over the tree that's knocked over because it's unplugged.

Ah, i see i am not the only cultured gentleman here
However i implore you to assist me in finding more of such imagery

Flower fields like pic related. Something about flowers in a war torn environment awakens my autism

>fucking daylight
>disgusting chink lower-class aesthetic
an accurate image of a chink city / urban jap scenery=
NO thanks
I firmly believe that the Japs nailed the imagery better though

why the fuck did you deleted the image?
just leave it there as a proof of not having a sense of visual imagery / composition.
Better go post some good screenshots then

Delete your account.

In games? I don't know much other than the Yakuza series, Sleeping dogs. GTA doesn't have the same effect, the lights feel dull.

Oh boy, those are my favorite stages in fighting games.

I agree, i love this kind of look, very crispy.
The music is elder god-tier too.

Don't know about games but there is lots of 3D artists that like to show off those environments that'll never be used anywhere.

Is there any other examples of this?

I really like when things can make you feel small. Halo really did a number on me the first time I looked up and saw the Halo ring above me.

I don't know if it's similar to this but I really like landscapes.

stop doing this and if you're an actual nigger, stop posting here.

Mid to late 90s models and textures.

What is that first game? Looks fun

I think it is Angels Fall First.

Yeah. Angels Fall First. Clunky but pretty good spiritual successor to SW Battlefront 2 by the devs of I think Dystopia? Might be wrong on that last bit.

thank you and checked
game seems dead
oh well

If enough people bought/pirated the game I bet a gamenight could be organised

I love it when there's a giant creature (Or creatures) in the distant background just for decoration. You're not going to fight it, it doesn't affect your quest in any way, it's just there to make the world seem larger.

It's only because

Ancient pre-civilization artifacts lost to time.
I hated Uncharted 3 but Atlantis of the Sands made up for it.

Cityscapes with a "cool" color palette.
The first half of Mafia 2, the center of downtown Los Santos at 9AM on a sunny day, with the shadow of the skyscrapers on Alta St., Star Junction in Liberty City at 3PM on an overcast day. I love that shit so much.

Everquest 2 is basically that to a T. The whole game looks like it was rendered in Bryce.

I hope they make a big deal of it when it does come out of early access so people actually play it

You do realize we are a colony of bacteria, right?

Dayum nice
Shame the street can't be bigger and there's no people in it (i get it, they're a bitch to animate), either way props to the artist

Reminds me alot of sleeping dogs, except that it's obviously set in the West the fire escape is the biggest giveaway

I always like Sleeping Dogs, it's the closest i'll get to a vidya adaptation of The Raid

Fuck man don't make me sad
Also too bad the best way to play it is to play it on the goddamn Xbone

Like this? (the second pic)

You should play Xenoblade.

Also too bad the multiplayer and co-op missions are unplayable because of the hackers who fucked up the servers.

Anything angelic, heavenly or church-like.

Also, temples. I loved how the Memories of Death Lillies stage in Nioh looked but I can't find a decent screenshot of it.

Those CGI cutscenes from Tiberain Sun

Yikes, that's low res.

What games are pic2&3?

Pretty certain that pic 3 is from youknowwhat

pic 2 is from the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 3
pic 3 is from ME:A

what a lovely place for a fight

It's software rendering, not unfiltered textures. In terms of style DD looks almost exactly like Quake in the software renderer.

A tropical and island settings. And lush green forest too.

If I had a picture of the train graveyard from FF7, it'd be on the left, there.

I like these graphics, too. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, since back then you couldn't possibly have these complex 3d scenes without it.