Why do always the american covers of games look so fucking disgusting?

Why do always the american covers of games look so fucking disgusting?

Other urls found in this thread:

rockman-corner.com/2013/06/meet-man-who-drew-mega-man-2s-box-art.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To appeal to the target demographic.

The american cover of that game looks way cooler than the gay jap one

I like both

I like left one.
That silver/chrome gimmick is my favourite. I dunno how it is properly called.

At least pick good examples, OP

Someone post Phlanax

hard to choose

It was actually ingenious. The cover is so bad and jarring, that the game is still remembered today just for it. It was intentional I think.

Final♂Fuck

Because covers are seen purely as a marketing tool. So they change it to something they think will appeal more to the western market. Given that execs have historically been completely out of touch with the market, you can see the result.

to be fair, that ship is just plain ugly and makes a poor cover subject

If you look at most of it the designs are usually simpler and framed tighter I'd think to catch eyes from farther away. I'd blame it on a marketing thing. A lot of the jap stuff doesn't read well unless up close.

Stupid burgers

Yeah but it comes with a free triforce.

The American Phalanx cover is objectively the best video game box art of all time.

Because for whatever reason american publishers had real shit taste in art.

why do americans look so fucking disgusting?

That picture was definitely not taken in America.

Why shtskin always have the bad grammar? Or OP just retarded?

the advertisement in your pic says otherwise.

The fat folds that kid has never fail to impress me.

Why do people eat Mcdonalds?

cheap fast food

Google "food desert" if you want to laugh.

Why did they turn the cute miko into a tranny?

Google? Don't you fucking know where you are? Do you honestly think this is a google household!? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE FUCKING BING HERE user!
WE WILL NOT SPEAK OF THE DEFILER, THE DESOLATOR, THE DESTROYER, THE FILTHY SCUMFUCK OF THE INTERNET THAT IS THE DEPRAVED GOOGLE! BING IT! BING IT ALL!

What the fuck are you doing user

Probably the single worst localized game of all time. There's one's with worse translations and censorship, sure, but I can't think of one that actively fucked with the gameplay itself for no good reason.

Sorry but "no healthy food store within a mile" is not a fucking excuse, a mile is not a huge distance.

I always thought they just got rid of hard gay for obvious reasons but only recently found out the entire story was changed.

They also gave every boss like 3 times as much health.

lel

It should be no surprise they often don't look faithful to the game. But sometimes… just sometimes… they end up looking very good, sometimes better than the original. Pics related, all US versions drawn by Marc Ericksen.

Those two look like some burritos someone shat out in a white country.

It is to libruls/niggers.

Oh, and the same great artist did this infamous turd. It's as I just said: he was told to do it like that, in a hurry, without any reference material.

> rockman-corner.com/2013/06/meet-man-who-drew-mega-man-2s-box-art.html

He managed to do a good Miyazaki lookalike without a reference at least.

Reminder that there are faggots on this board that will throw away their anti-censorship principles in regards to SoR3 because SoA made the game "harder".

A lot of Japanese games were made more difficult for the Western market in the 1980s-90s. Strange that we went from Western games being hard as fuck to being so easy you have to put them on Very Hard to actually get a challenge.

I'd still take that over this.

cheap and tastes good, also it can be eaten in moderation

n'est pas?

When will the government stop Atari's sinful hand

good ol america hating from back then, but now it's europe that's hysterically laughable

t. euroshit

Because it discouraged people from renting games in lieu of buying them. There was no grand design philosophy in making them harder.

The R-Type III cover looks like typical RADICAL 90s stuff. It's nostalgic for me, and not bad as it at least tells you what the game is about: "You're some kind of crazy vehicle and you shoot monsters and shit! TUBULAR!"

The Nipnong cover is just kind of bland and largely colorless. There's an undetailed schematic of some sort of vehicle on it - which admittedly does look more like a spaceship than the bigmac cover - but there's really no useful information on it whatsoever. It could credibly be claimed that it's a painting game like MarioPaint since it seems like a half-colored image.

Was renting really hard in Japan or something?

IIRC it's illegal to rent in nippon

It was outright illegal unless publishers/manufacturers gave shops permission to lease out product for renting, mainly because early in the Famicoms life rental shops were renting and selling bootleg carts.

In the murrica version the ship attack doesn't even match with the game.
They also raped the ship's design.

Superior nippon

A man of taste.

That Chelnov one isn't terrible.

is becuz u r imbred amerifat who collects ebin velvet canvas paintings.

That Japanese Steel Empire cover makes me rock hard.

They're all better save for Steel Empire, that detailed ship was pretty good.

It is good to see refined anons around. How about some Susumu Matsushita next? He is known for his Western-ish airbrushed cartoon style.

American Nightmare fuel

I prefer the western one in this case.

is that smug guy in the top right corner supposed to be Luc?

What was that one that had some lady looking over the edge of a couch or something? Really tame and generic looking spooky cover for what was supposed to be a gory game I think.

No, it's the main character, he has the bo staff and everything

Honestly not sure about this one.

Those nip covers are fucked up.

Clearly it's Jimmie Renninner

I'm… not even certain about this one. Does anyone have a better version of the FC boxart?

Would it be about researching AIDS medicine or about fucking other men or perhaps both?

A game based on the lyrics of Don't stop Me Now, make something out of that.

Glenda the good witch is back and this time she's PISSED.

What a cute witch.

There's apparently no version of this coverart that isn't a complete fucking disaster.

There's at least some justification for the change in cover art in this case since the orange haired character isn't playable in the US version.

Jap one here is disgusting

I may have spoke too soon. The ROM cassette version looks pretty nice. Then again it wouldn't have worked with our version due to localization.
Why ever did they change the main character from a tengu mask to a decapitates samurai head? This seems like the exact opposite of what NoA would have done.

The japs really fucked up this one, the entire japanese localization was a mess.

The american one clearly has more work put into it.

They probably had Tolkien estate issues.

I think both of them are really cool.

Did the fish from Darius really come through a window from another dimension? Also I love that image and would like it in a massive resolution for my desktop.

Is that Ken Penders?

Found the jew.

The one of the left looks much more dynamic and colorful, gotta agree with you there.

is this even the same game?

shitty taste

Sometimes it's not just the cover that gets changed.

Decap Attack was better.

So I've heard.

Alissia Dragoon's US cover was quite decent, but the Japanese cover was just too good

Why did I laugh to this

Had my hopes up that this was gonna be an R-Type III thread.

Why did the franchise die? It seemed like it could go on at least on compilations or via budget titles made by indie teams (like Darius and Gradius). Is IREM even alive now?

Irem makes mobile games nowadays.

The 2011 tsunami crippled them, no joke.

Found it.

Irem literally just decided one day to stop making games, and quickly delisted every game they made from Virtual Console and PSN, as well as quickly cancelling Disaster Report 4.

No, that was just their excuse to cancel Disaster Report 4, which is now being re-developed by some of the same designers at a new studio.

They actually went into pachislot shit.

Speaking of I wonder how many more will be crippled.

Some of that isn't fair. The box size was way different between Super Famicom and SNES.

That sign on the wall isn't in spanish, amigo.

JEJEJ

No, and that's why the franchise "died". All the talent in IREM Corporation left for Nazca Corporation in the early '90s. R-Type III was probably one of their last games at the company actually. Modern Irem is nothing more than an IP pot for some greedy asshole to sit on.

Steambot Chronicles was made in the 00s tho