So what is your absolute most favourite game this gen so far?

So what is your absolute most favourite game this gen so far?

Pic related for me. I really liked Demon's Souls for its feeling of things declining and in chaos. Dark Souls was fun but Its setting felt like you had missed all the important parts and you were just cleaning up after the fact. Then rumours of 'project beast' came around and i love victorian/gothic horror and aside from dankest dungeon not enough games nowadays use the setting.

Then Bloodborne came out, i went in blind thinking it was a Werewolf plague outbreak game but slowly it teases out a reverse Lovecraft situation. No secret cult. No out in the wilderness backwoods hicks behind it all. The worship of the Great Ones and their Elder Things is the mainstream majority religion and lycanthropy was just a distillation of the effects of supping on alien blood. The story got me and i loved it. The DLC too fleshes out the one singular question of 'where did the transforming/uplifting idea come from?' and that meant a solid and well thought out plot. Not a bunch of half gleamed what ifs for youtube mouthbreathers to vlog about and debate.

The combat was faster and turtling was gone. Trick weapons allowed for neat combos and the expansion buffed arcane so you could have a toolset of items to mix it up in a STR/ARC build. The locations were gorgeous and the soundtrack was ridiculously good. I ended up beating it like 4 times in a row and over the last two years have beaten it again like once every few months. With Halloween on the way im already feeling the itch again yet i beat DS3 twice and never touched it again.

Its not perfect of course. Pvp is convoluted and a lot of people think you can only do it in one area, the Chalice Dungeons were fun but locking unique bosses and story behind repeated bosses was a bit cheap. But overall this gen i have not got so much fun from a game and consider it in my top ten all time favourites. Its a damn shame its never getting a PC release because i think most people that liked Dark Souls would really enjoy this and they are missing out.

In this gen of shit, whats your personal diamond lurking in the filth?

Hollow Knight, the Dark Souls of platformers
A shame that Cuphead dethroned it

I'm actually really enjoying this gen.
Lots of small cool indies too, but that shit never gets talked about here.

I played Skylines and Isaac for a cumulative 1500+ hours probably. Which is weird because I usually don't like games that don't have an actual end or progression.

Rimworld. I can't say Dorf Fort because it's too old.

Sanic Mania, I guess. This gen has been pretty horrendous.

Was going to say something else but thinking about what I've actually spent the most time on it's probably this.
I've never liked minecraft but the aesthetic and music are top comfortable and having it on a portable device just means I end up playing constantly in little timegaps in life.

nothing

Bannerlord

Breath of the wild
Too bad it means too much to too many people and will only been seen as bait as a result

tekken 7.
it would be xrd but that is also on ps3.
bloodborne is pretty good. it could have been the ac4a of souls games but there are little things that hold it back, the lack of build variety & weapon restrictions at the beginning in particular. i'm 5 bosses in and still don't have as many weapon options available as there were at the first merchant in undead burg. getting rid of the estus system is also hard to justify. i find myself speedrunning areas to avoid wasting vials on anything that isn't a boss and nothing kills momentum harder than reaching a skill wall, starting to figure it out & then having to stop so you can grind vials for an hour.
it is very pretty though.

I liked it a lot as someone that played the first 3 on GBC as a kid and its like a 'what if' bad end sequel, but that second poison world made me drop it and i should go back. I just felt bad building a huge city in the first world and dropping it like hot shit and moving on.

You can like what you like friend, you cannot expect anyone on the internet to agree with you 100% of the time.

Artificial Academy 2.
wish the character creator was more in depth and had more options for interactions though

Definitely Witcher 3. I'd post better pictures but all the Ansel captures are too big to upload here. This gen has been pretty good to me so far, with Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, Zodiac Age, Titanfall 2, and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.

My only problem with DQB was that the combat was still super clunky like Minecraft before it. I'm hoping DQB2 fixes that issue, since they're adding so many mobility options.

Lovecraft shit is do overdone its in black ops 3. Its the most fucking overrated works of horror I've ever read and the FNAF of abstract surreal atmospheric horror.

lolwut

Nier Automata. I usually get bored of games and return to shitposting, but that game hooked me from start to finish. It's a shame the PC port is so neglected though.
I'd add Nioh but I got my ass kicked by the boss with the ball flails and haven't had time to get gud.

I hear it a lot and i think people got sick of the post 2000's hipster lovecraft shit and assumed that "LOL I HAVE A CTHULU FUNKO POP XDDD" shit remained commonplace and dont know the socjus crowd made talking about lovecraft "NOT. OKAY. AND. YOU???? NEED??? TO??? STOP???" with a large dose of clapping emoji thrown in.

In reality cosmic horror is rarely done right and when it is its like a once every 5 year deal.

No user, Cthulhu shit is overdone. Lovecraftian shit has barely even been touched because it's always centered on just Cthulhu.

Going by sheer amount of hours, I don't think I've played anything more than Grim Dawn. I'm just waiting for the expansion to come out before I pick it up again. As someone who loved Titan Quest with Soulvizier, GD hit most of the right spots for me, more than any other ARPG I've played before.
Call me a casual, but it's the only ARPG where I've beaten the game with multiple characters, aside from Torchlight 2, except I honestly don't remember anything about that game except downloading some mod with a billion classes and one of them was some hilariously retarded anime class I loved.

Huh, now that I'm looking at it, most, nearly all of the games I've played for the past few years came out pre-2012. Aside from GD, the other biggest timesink would probably be Rimworld, but I don't like to include games that aren't finished yet.

Oh, yeah, in pop culture Cthulhu is definitely overplayed. But general Lovecraftian themes in video games are definitely underused. There's a conversation to be had or an essay to be written about the nature of video games allowing player autonomy and how that affects the nihilistic nature of a Lovecraftian story, especially when you can replay any given scenario, but I'm not well enough versed to have it.

Awesome game, grade A community, and weapons/armor that make you wanna fire the game back on the second you wake up.

It is overdone, just as giger in the horror styled games.
We need more beksinsky

Stating the opposite without giving examples is kind of pointless. How is it overdone? Who uses it?

You're trying too hard.

Skyrim, without questions.

Bloodborne for the same feelz as you OP but I wanted more of the dark/grey/white world that was in Demon's Souls.
I can see how some people think there where not enough builds variations and how some might be turned off by the semi fast paced combat. But in all honesty it felt awesome, like you was an actual hunter.
The Witcher 3 is also on my top list only because it scratched my autism for the open world stuff with a fun story.
Persona 5 scratched the dungeon crawler and light visual novel autism.
Dragon Quest 11 only because it's such a beautiful game and really comfy being in the world.
NieR Automata because of combat, comfy music and story. sandbox was OK.
MGS5 only because of hype and fun sandbox even tough I had more fun with Ground Zeros.

This ps4 and xbone gen has felt lackluster which kinda sucks.

This "gen" was sure a step up from the horrors of PS360.
I like a lot of new game, before it I was perpetrator of "all new games suck" meme, but now I changed my mind and attitude.
I still think that consoles fucking suck, I mean you just can't play bloodborne at 60 fps in this reality. There is just no way. Not even on PS4.5 or whatever it was called. It's bullshit.

That being said so far I have hard time choosing a game of the generation. Dark Souls 3, Tomato and Hungry Knight are my definite top 3 so far, so probably one of these.
Though I gotta say whire palace did smear my enjoyment of HK, to the point of being 9/10 instead of strong 10/10 like other two.
And I haven't even played Yakuza 5 and Nioh yet, because fuck buying a toy that is PS4 at current price.

So yeah, video games are great again, and people who are crying abut "muh new games are shit" should kill themselves.
In retrospect previous gen also has a whole bunch of good games, so I sometimes feel ashamed of my past faggotry.

Yakuza 5 is PS3.

I'm sure you didn't mean to cast bait, OP.

They're better than in 2008-2013 for sure, but not in any way great.

Nier Automata is probably my favorite for now, and games I actually enjoyed, in no particular order are MGSV, Titanfall 2, Xcom 2 War of the God's Chosen, Mad Max, R6 Siege and The Division. Well, I didn't think The Division was a good game, I mostly enjoyed it because you can grief the shit out of people in it.

Isn't this game just next gen Nightmare Creatures?

Dark Souls III. Mostly because Terraria is last gen (although I play it on PC still).
Should I try something from current gen? Is Nier:Automata good?

Yes. Yes it is. As Demon's Souls was Castlevania Bloodborne is Nightmare Creatures.

Nier is great if you played Dark Souls as a lorefag. You can pour over items and to understand it all you need to play Gestalt on the PS3, read a novel, a play and a webnovel series and you will get a fascinating story about how "lifes not worth living if you have nothing worth fighting for" and if not its just a very easily but smooth as silk platinum action game with rpg elements.
Either you will love it and fall into the taroverse autism hole that puts dark souls to shame or hate it.

Yes.

See Patron 4000 i think a lot of the build issues come from people assuming its soft class based like dark souls. But in bloodborne you arent a thief or a cleric or a warrior. You are a hunter. You are playing as a singular character who may flirt with old god shit but at the end of the day a hunter is all you are and the builds can not really be varied to change that when the world its set in is just 'you have a gun and a sharp thing, you are nothing that special'.

Automatafags in a nutshell.

William and Hanzo's Excellent Adventure.

This one is a close second.

If someones asking if they will like Nier they dont know Yoko Taro so by process of elimination they probably havent played Gestalt and the Infinite Sadness.

Are you for real?

the only GOAT
prove me wrong

Get gassed, pedo.

What game is there after you get your rocks off? Any game where the only object is you getting your nut can never be GOAT.

Its a Phoenix Wright game where you fuck lolis pretty much

Although I have about 600 hours clocked onto it now, good taste nonetheless.

Fucking how? Hell, I'll give you Demon Souls even though the Old One is just a sealed away power without any real Lovecraft themes to go with it, but Dark Souls has nothing. I can't vouch for Shadow Tower Abyss either so I'll let you have that one. So you've got four games, one of which you had to go back to 2003 for. Try again.

Considering all the bad endings you can get, including starving to death and getting a lobotomy to join a cult, to say nothing of the various ways you can fuck up getting a girl or falling onto the failure state path, i'd say there's at least as much gameplay and/or GOAT potential as any CYOA/visual novel has. Which may still well be none, but there it is.

IS Hollow Knight any good ?

I have been in the mood to play a 2d-Metriod game since E3.

Maybe hes a product of modern education and assumes a pre christian deific pantheon structure means 'lovecraftian'.
I wonder if those kinds of underage raised in the common core era think ancient egypt was lovecraftian? Great Stone Pyramids, sleeping untouched in the desert for thousands of years erected for bird, canine and reptile headed beings from the stars.

Tropico 5

Yes.
Play it.

Played DaS3 and BB for at least 100h each, and I don't like them that much. I mean, they're really good games, and From upgraded a lot of things from previous installments, but I felt like all charm was gone, and they started to be pretty boring at the end.

BotW

gay

I get the same feeling in souls games, the hobo/noob phase where you don't know enemy attack patterns or surprises in the map is fun. Then later on once you've settled in the magic is gone.

The barbarian armor is supposed to give you an attack boost fam. In all fairness though this game isn't exactly hard mode so all it really does is make the guardian bosses slightly less tedious. The dungeons, something that is usually a Zelda staple, is now by far the weakest part of the game, something that almost completely ruins it. Still, this gen in general has been rather weak in my opinion overall. I never played The Witcher 3 but I keep hearing about it. I want to pirate it but that fucking massive filesize is making me not want too.

But it's nothing suprising to be honest, if you played them for too long.

That game was fucking empty.

All open worlds are "empty"

The Witcher isn't.

How is the world? I imagine there's a lot of wilderness to explore, but also a lot of busy settlements as well?

Sorry, what I meant to say was
IT'S SHIT
Dungeons are shit
Gear is shit
Overworld is shit
Characters are fucking memers and not even the good kind
Bosses are shit
Final boss is somehow even more shit than everything else
Crafting is shit
Even the combat, although the strongest point, is shit.

Gotta go with Rainbow Six: Siege

I really love the way it takes destructible environments and actually makes it actually meaningful to gameplay, requiring actual thought instead of Battlefields "building go boom" the amount of abilities to choose from, and the variety of guns is fucking great. It's just an all around wonderful game. It's my favorite, but fucking Ubisoft can't handle servers and have made some pretty shitty moves in terms of balance, so it's definitely not the best of this gen.

Did this game kill your family or something? Why are you so defensive?

Ive put 92hrs into it the past 2 weeks, in Skellige but havent completed act 1. Its my first playthrough, only finished the second a week before. Its not a perfect game, but the writing is fresh compared to some of the shit out there. I find the problems it does have, isnt enough to get me to stop playing.

Helps that the characters are real likable also, Vernon Roche is the most memorable rpg character ive seen in a long time.

the worst part about the witcher 3 is the game play.

Was it really your favourite game? Is your taste that bad? Surely there was at least something better.

I didn't play very many games this gen tbh other than AAA trash. I am a huge sucker for open worlds. How does The Wither compare? I heard the world itself was fantastic but I'm getting mixed signals as far as RPG elements and gameplay goes

*Witcher

So it runs at 20 fps and 524p or something?

combat system suck balls, but the characters, and some quests are good
also writing is better than in most games

Would you say it's worth the pirate? It has a huge HDD storage tax but this seems to be a reoccurring theme this gen.

I only played the second one. Pretty neat but seemed to drag on a bit. Didn't bother with the side quests or hunts because the drowners one I did was just slaughtering them until you get revelations about how to end them forever. I've been dying for an open world, fantasy, time-sink but haven't found one that keeps my interest long enough.

Do it, sure. And if you decide it's worth your money buy it on sale somewhere. It gets really cheap sometimes.

I know how you feel, the last open world games that really immersed me I think were New Vegas and WoW before it went to shit. Modern open world designs are definitely missing something, something that really immerses you.

I have noticed a few things, for example geralts quick attack animation is far to slow sometimes. Also the gear and items seem abit repetitive and shit. For example finding the same named sword several times but at constantly elevating levels. Only truly badass weapons deserve names, otherwise "iron/steel sword" will suffice.

Also i have found theres nothing really to spend gold on. I know you get a vineyard later and its upgradable but other than a respec potion, gwent cards and a few recipes it seems like theres nothing worth buying atm.

Still like I said the problems arent enough to stop me from playing. The writing is so fucking refreshing compared the cancerous aids Bioware pumps out.

The attack animations are randomized just to look cool. No rhyme or reason. Imagine if super mario bros had mario jumping at different heights randomly instead of beinf able to control it. Would be a disaster.

I'd say W3's biggest problems are its combat and the leveling. Combat is still better than previous Witcher games, but still barely decent at best. They should have bought back stances for a bit of extra depth and definitely tweaked the animations so there is a little less random attacking going on. As for the leveling, its too much of +2% to this stat, this attack, this spell etc. More unique perks (I guess I have to call them that) would have gone a long way. You're levels get spread a bit thin too.

Still, its a nice looking game, especially Toussaint with great writing. I would love CDPR to return to Witcher and just make B&W sized chapters for the whole game. The expansions were miles above everything else and the series is its best with short stories. All they really need to work on is combat and leveling systems.

Someone should tell SJ(e)Ws that Lovecraft called a dog nigger and see how long they buy their shitty punko

Uhh…
How about fucking
NONE
of them?

It's very different, but I very much enjoyed both it and BotW. You can get it cheap on GoG without DRM, and I recommend you do; the devs are pretty pro-consumer. The combat is "eh" at times (spam Quen to become invincible, and once you get the ability where you hold down light attack to spin, you win), and it's very easy to come across stuff you just aren't supposed to fight for another 10-20 levels. The quests are more involved than just, "hey go kill five X and give me the skins," so even if they boil down to that, there's always greater context involved and usually some gray-gray morality choices too.

The main story is pretty good, but it's easily the weakest part of the game; you'll have more fun if, like BotW, you ignore it until you can't anymore and just wander the countryside looking for monsters and quests. Skellige, Kaer Mohren, and Toussaint (if you get the DLC, and you should) in particular are beautiful.

Don't forget the daily grind just to be on top of things that's dominated by rng.
Please shill on twitter, not boards, dear Bungie employee.

how about you silently sit away from the computer and die?

filtered, subhuman

then all the games are truly equal for satan

I'd say NieR:Automata. No game this gen had an impact on me like it.

The dungeons were really weak and outside of the beasts, world building sucks in breath of the wild, not that it has been real strong in over half the zeldas, but it was the weakest one to date.

What? I liked Hearts of Stone too, but the original poster said he loved BotW and was considering The Witcher. I'm giving him my point of view on Witcher 3 as a fellow fan of BotW.

Whens 3 coming out?

Does PC even have a generation? It's not the same as consoles where you're hardcapped by the systems harware without upgrading by way of a new gen.

Yes it has but people use the console generations as its easier to use as way to identify a timeframe since most faggots here are casuals and most never owned an IBM computer.

on my wishlist, glad to hear good things. I liked Titan Quest, though I enjoyed Diablo more.

The Deep is pretty lovecraftian, fam.

not at all really, its just a big inky blackness, there is no great power beyond comprehension waiting in the abyss, it is a power like gravity

Yes, but the dev shoved gay characters in the game just to virtue signal, so make sure you don't pay for it.

Can't play that shit on my PC. Runs like garbage.

2Booty got you that sprung?

Give me a quick rundown on cities skylines.

OP is a fag.
Sage and move on.

Bloodborne is a damn good game.

how to identify someone who doesn't play video games

Are there any fun mods for DaS2 like the randomizer for DaS1?

Witcher 3 combat is the reason I stop playing after my first playthrough. It just not fun and everything become a chores, the fucking pseudo auto-lock is fucking frustrating. The only open world RPG with tons of replay value is Dragon's Dogma and Nier:Automata, doing crazy combo and stabbing cyclops in the eye never gets tired even after you put 200+ hours on it.

I really want to like Witcher 3 but I just can't, it looks great, its huge, but combat is just terrible. Dragon's Dogma really set the bar for open world fantasy game and I can't enjoy anything lower than that. Just compare the griffin fight in DD and W3, the differences is like night and day.

The masters of making wise decisions, as usual.

Waiting for Bannerlord to come out is suffering. Wish they'd give a release date already. Fucking Turks.
Anyway, I'd say R6 Siege because it's probably the game I play the most these days. Wouldn't say it's a diamond though. Maybe a very rough one.
I'm more looking for an RPG these days, but I'm having a tough time finding anything I want to play. Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes out today, so I'm going to give that a shot.

Boy do I know this feel. I hunger for another game like it. I haven't gone through BBI though, so I kind of have to replay it and do that. Feels like I missed half of the damn game, but I kind of feel like going through the story again is a pain. I'll just have to force myself, until I don't straight up die the moment I set foot in there.

This Tokyo Game Show they have the team on stage at the end. I'm hoping they show something there beyond just an anniversary show. If nothing comes from that then I'm giving up hope.

How was DDO anyway? I really don't understand why those nips are so hellbent on keeping their MMOs region locked to their own country.

its sim city 2015 but not shit
except for traffic, which is still retarded without mods

Apart from bloated enemy's HP and annoying rage mechanic, its pretty much Dragon's Dogma with multiplayer. It copies a lot of element from FFXIV like FATE, glamour and instance raid, in fact, the main menu is almost identical.