Peripherals General

Whether it's monitors, balance boards, VR headsets, or heart rate monitors, all peripherals are welcome here. Post your favorites mouses, request suggestions, and explain why you should never buy Razer and Mad Catz ever.

Recently, I got into flight simulators, and am looking for a reliable and affordable joystick and, if possible, throttle. As I am new to the genre, I don't have a clue to where to start. I have heard good things about the Microsoft Strategic Commander, which might have more functionality overall, but I want to explore all my options before making a decision.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889206111&ignorebbr=1&_ga=2.15285301.285193654.1505195835-1171600503.1505006486
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does everything need a general?

No, not everything needs a general, but you can't play video games without peripherals.

Yes.

Logitech G502 Mouse, Logitech G27 wheel, Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS Setup together with VR (Rift or Vive).

Well, I already have the G502. What's the purpose of the wheel and what makes the X52 worth the money?

Is there a horse dong one that shoots milk?

If you're into electronics you can make your own peripherals. Get a Teensy 2.0, some buttons and a box and learn to code. People use them to make custom keyboards or arcade sticks, and with a bit of DIY you could probably use one to revive older controllers with no drivers.

If you've got money and want an alternative to a mouse, get a trackball. You don't need a mousepad, you don't need to pick them up, and you can 360 noscope people without a controller. The Logitech M570, Trackman marble and CST L-Trac are all good.

first pic would work great in my modded skyrim game

i have a logitech g27 wheel setup and it's the best fucking thing ever if you're into sims. the force feedback can be dialed up to a pretty high level (don't set it too high or it can shake the motor loose though) and it has 900 degrees of motion, so that's two and a half full turns from end to end. the shifter has an incredibly satisfying metal on metal "clack" feel and sound when you shift and it feels "right". the pedals are nice and firm so you need to lay a realistic amount of pressure on them, and since all three are analog you can actually ride the clutch and take proper advantage of engine braking (in games that let you get this autistic), or even preload the clutch and dump it in turns to keep your revs up and keep the wheels spinning. tl;dr in games that use it to the fullest it feels so realistic and so fun that you'll wonder how you played racing sims without it

i actually also have an x52 and it's okay. there are better HOTAS setups but none that I've used at that price. The stick itself feels decent but kinda cheap (the plastic they've used sucks) but the throttle's resistance can be changed, and the stick can be stiffened up with a little plastic disc under the spring (which is exposed). plenty of buttons, a fairly useless MFD on the throttle, and a decent selection of hat switches round it out. the only things really working against it is the shitty plastic, which i can live with since i don't abuse my things, and the stupid fucking twist rudder on the stick. apparently you can lock it so it doesn't twist, but i've never been able to make that work so instead you'll occasionally just yaw when you don't want to. not a dealbreaker but it's an annoyance

meant for

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889206111&ignorebbr=1&_ga=2.15285301.285193654.1505195835-1171600503.1505006486
Should I Holla Forums?

It's a nice TV, I have a NEC one of the same size.

Fuck, that wheel, pedal, stick shift set up looks fun. I've been wanting to play a nice drifting game for a while.

My nigga.

Wore out the old Logitech mouse I had to the point where it wouldn't work anymore (thing lasted years, so I have no complaints). Called them up and somehow it was still under warranty despite them not making it anymore.

They sent me a G502 as a replacement free of charge.

Hey guys what mouse would you recommend? My deathadder of about 4 years has started to cut out.
People in the thread seem to like the G502 but it's a bit expensive.

On top of that, what headphones (not headset) would you guys recommend?

Is playing shmups with a flight stick worth it? It sounds like it would be fun but i dont know which one i should get.

I don't play many shmups (I'm pretty terrible at them) but playing arcade and fighting games with a stick is way more fun than with a pad or keyboard.

Pic related is what I've used for about a year and a half daily playing fightan games and it's help up really well

If you want something like a Deathadder, Zowie EC1 Evo is very close.

Headphones depend on your price range. For $50, get the Philips SHP 9500s.

If you're gonna buy accessories just for shmups, Japanese arcades use Seimitsu sticks. The LS-40 is popular.

Does it work on pc?

yeah it should just work out of box, I can't remember setting anything else up

the 502 is honestly and no exaggerating my favourite mouse that i have ever owned. it's nice and heavy, the cord is long as fuck, the extra buttons are well-placed and are useful, etc. get one on sale or something because it really is a great mouse. as far as headphones go, i just googled "/g/ recommended headphones" and i recommend you do the same

Nice. Ive been looking for a stick and 50 bucks is really cheap for one. I'll pick it up when i get the cash.

Yeah, but it's sold exclusively by Bad Dragon.

I have an mdr-v6 that i got for 2 dollars in a garage sale. Its amazing but it squeezes too much. Is there any way to weaken it?

Any good trackball mice? All I know is that ones that use your pointer finger are better than the thumb ones.

Thanks for the help guys, time for me to go buy some shit

Logitech Trackman Marble. It's cheap, wired, and the ball is big. Only downside is the lack of scroll wheel. It's good enough for vidya that you can keep up with mouse players.
If you have money, get the CST 2545-5W. It's like a bulky Trackman Marble with a scroll wheel, and heavier rolling. It's just as good for vidya, but feels much better. The price tag is a bit ridiculous though.

The other options would be the Kensington Expert, Slimblade and Orbit, and Elecom's HUGE. I've never tried them, so I can't comment.

As far as my experience with headphones goes, I only bought one pair but I'm pleased with the quality: Urbanears Plattans are fairly comfortable, though they do get a bit uncomfortable after about an hour or so of wearing them. The sound seems to be crisp with decent bass and highs and acceptable mids. They were $50 and sometimes go on random sales on their site. Otherwise, Holla Forums recommended headphones are usually a safe bet. If you're not an audiophile, just pick one of the not-shit sets of headphones and you'll be fine.

I'd like a mouse which will suit my gorilla hands, and has 6~ buttons on the side, while not being razer naga hex or v2
Any suggestions?

Only when your imageboard creator openly invites reddit.

My 6 year old Mamba is starting to go can Holla Forums recommend me a new mouse?

Have you looked at the Logitech G600?
12 thumb buttons on the left, and a separate extra click on the right. It's also huge, and is made for a palm grip.

That reminds me, I need to buy some new headphones. I was gifted some ridiculous Chinese piece of shit that had LEDs on it and a retractable mic.

There's always some faglord in every thread.

I used to have one of those actually, they are decent but I never found a valid use for more than 3 of the side buttons

There's also Exotic Erotics, Primal Hardwere, Zetapaws, as well as plenty of independent Etsy sellers (Akifutoys, AldersDen, and NewFolkloreSilicone to name just a few)

how much of a fucking meme are torpe keyboards?
how much of a meme is spending 300 us dollars for muh adjustable actuation?

Where can I get that half-horse peripheral?
Asking for a friend.

Reminder that this is The CEO of Bad Dragon

I can't take that guide seriously for the lack fo the ATH-M40x.

haha, oh man, imagine being the alpha male of the "shoving huge things in your ass" club

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

On certain level though, you gotta admire that he's actually that hands on with his product line. Do you really think the president of Doc Johnson is out there shoving their chemical filled comically oversized dildos up his ass? No… fuck it… we'll just call them a "novelty item" so that way if anybody perferates their colon or gets ass cancer from using them - we can just lawyer up and claim "I-it was never intended to be used internally… it was just a gag item".

What is the context of the horse pic? I've seen it around.

Sounds good!
Though 12 keys might be too much.
Now a bigger challenge
Genesis rx85 meets a lot of my requirements, but i'd like to ask beforehand here.

If you're at all into racing games, especially sims, a FFB wheel is basically mandatory. A lot of sims are flat out unplayable with a keyboard or a gamepad, and the level of immersion a decent FFB wheel adds has to be felt to be fully understood.

Most of the bigger keyboard companies don't add wrist rests. You'll have more options if you use a separate gel pad instead of a builtin one.
Unless things have changed since I owned one, Ducky is pretty good. Their Shine 3 comes in blue, and all of it's options are done in the keyboard itself so you don't need any software.
Only downside with the Shine 3 is that it's old, and Ducky's newer line might be more suited to your needs.

Farm school. Artificially inseminating a mare involves putting your fist up its ass for some reason.

my favorite peripherals are crt monitors

Thanks, they look solid but they're too expensive in my country, and lack the wrist rest, I'll check out the RX85 and write back when i get it.

this. i never fully understood what made a force feedback wheel important until the torquesteer of my FWD car in dirt rally literally pulled the wheel out of my hands. it can actually transmit input to you, the "driver", the way a real car does (you can actually feel the car car beginning to lose traction in time to correct it)

Is that really the CEO of Bad Dragon?

Is there a video that is him saying "Hi, I am the CEO of Bad Dragon. Please enjoy this instructional video on the use of our gigantic oversized Dragon Ass Dildoes?" then shoving one of these in his ass like this?

I got a thrustmaster t16000 stick/throttle/pedal bundle (pic related) a few months back. It's pretty nice, though the pedals could be a bit better. I've heard the logitech extreme 3d pro stick is decent for it's low price, though it lacks a proper throttle.
I'd like to get a yoke at some point in the future but I have no money right now

A huge fucking meme, that and those HHKB's too. There's so much bullshit and snake oil in the mech keyboard market. Doesn't help that lots of people who buy mechanical keyboards are top goy material. Just get some cheap board with whatever cherry switches you like (and backlit keys if you really, really want them for some reason) and you'll be fine.
Model M a shit for games

I got a Shine 3 back when they came out. It's a nice simple keyboard (if not a little overpriced in my opinion), but I ended up turning the key LEDs off after a few months.

In particular/

Hi Varka :^)
I guess you're right. We better only buy from (((Bad-Dragon))). Especially Kuduvoodoo.

This list could use some work.

I personally jump between AKG K701s and Fostex TH-X00's for the vast majority of my headphone listening, so I figured I would offer my opinions on them for any anons that have money to burn. I have a bit more to write about the AKGs, as I've owned them for far longer, and there's more nuance to them, I think.

They have bass, but not like you'd expect when people claim they're bassy. They don't rumble, it's very controlled (which people aren't often used to), but they can slam like nobody's business.
If I had to describe them in a word, I'd say they're "fun" but that's a disservice to them. Listening to recordings with prominent percussion is a phenomenal experience. You get the impact of the drums, and on the high end there's just the right amount of sizzle to make the cymbals shine. It's very straightforward and in your face.
They handle like a sports car, but with the practicality of a family car. You don't need to get higher octane gas, and you've still got a usable trunk. You don't need to get an amplifier, though you're free to do so if you'd like, and they will benefit from it.
Really, they are an audiophile's headphone designed for the layman. If you give somebody off the street a set of Sennheiser HD650s to try, they wouldn't get it, but they understand these headphones, and that's not a bad thing. You won't have to learn to love them.
Comfort wise, they're pretty good. They're relatively light, and the pads, while not as spacious as some other headphones, generally sit well, and the clamp is light.
Build wise, they feel solid, and they look like their premium price tag. The wood cups are beautiful. The cable is heavy, a bit over 1/4" in diameter, but it's still relatively flexible. I cannot comment on long-term durability, though.

The AKG K701 is another enjoyable headphone (which is why I still own it after all this time), but for a very different reason. They're the polar opposite of the Fostex. While the Fostex create a sense of intimacy, the AKG create a sense of scale. Soundstage is something a lot of people don't get, and this headphone is perhaps the best explanation you can give them. If you're seeking positional audio in particular, the K701s (and their relatives) are the best in their class, making them ideal for cinema and vidya.
They're known for lacking bass (the tuning has been adjusted in later models), and especially without amplification, you won't get any. Adding an amplifier into the mix rounds them out, but it won't solve the issue if that's your core gripe. That's simply not what these headphones are for. Bass isn't tight like the Fostex, either. It's looser, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - for some recordings, it might even be preferable.
You often hear them described as analytical, but I personally describe them the K701s to be smooth and relaxed. I've owned my pair for ages, and I still wouldn't trade them for anything. While they weren't the best options for many recordings, with jazz ensembles, orchestral works, and virtually everything acoustic, they come alive. If you like to sit down, drink in hand, with no other distractions, I don't think there's a better headphone out there.
To use another car analogy, these are more like a classic car. It's fun to rev the engine, but even the best performing models from 50 years ago are sluggish by today's standards, but there's no greater satisfaction than cruising on a summer afternoon with the windows down. You could drive it everyday if you really wanted to (and I did for a good while), but most people might not want to.
Aside from the headband bumps (which newer models lack), these are absolutely the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. They're ridiculously light, and they have very little clamping force. You would forget they were there, if it wasn't for those damn bumps. Cut them off, cover them up, or get a revision without, otherwise, expect to have dents in your skull.
The build is also something I have to be harsh on. The design is remarkably fashionable (why else would so many weebs buy them after K-On!), but it's got some flaws that really show with years of wear. It suffers from the same cable issue every AKG headphone does - the cable eventually fails inside the earcups, and one ear tends to fail. This is easily corrected with a soldering iron, but it's worth noting. The AKG headband mechanism isn't too reliable, either. Over time, the elastic bands used to automatically adjust fit tend to wear out, so they often sit too low if you don't act to fix this.

Lmao this guy is gonna die before he's 60

Have nothing to add but just want to say this is one of the better threads I've seen in months.