PS2 Thread

The PS2 is the best console with the best library ever released. The pinnacle of gaming we look back to in these dark times.

Original hardware, original games, CRT SDTV or CRT EDTV for games that support progressive scan.

Get a fat PS2, network adapter and an IDE hard drive. Softmod your PS2 with fmcb/fhdb and install OPL. If you have only a slim PS2 you can still use OPL with SMB shares. Another option is to load games from a burned DVD-R with ESR.

Modchips are a fine choice with the only downside being that it puts wear on the laser. Stock up used PS2s that can donate the laser to your chipped PS2 in case the laser goes bad.

Emulation is NOT recommended for playing PS2 games. Many games are unplayable and many more reported as playable run full of glitches. As stated above, the best experience is achieved using original hardware and CRT TVs.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PS2 is a shit.

What's the deal with the fat, full BC PS3s? I'd assume that they would be the best way to play PS2 games - original hardware with perfect digital output. Or is the way they render the games strange?

I just wish people realised just how precious those consoles were. Finding a serviceable one in the >current year is almost impossible, as these fragile pieces of technology were given to literal children ten years ago.

webbum unrelated, I doubt you are sugoi.

I have over 200 hours on this, it's my favorite game of all time despite of its cheesyness. My chipmodded PS2 is still going strong after 7 years.

Maybe if your PC is shit. I have half the PS2 library on my gaming PC and aside from some Sprite tear in Capcom fighters I have met no issues.

Sony should release a PS2 HD

Well, judging by your ID, only most devilish jew would suggest to do that.

The PS4 already has a working PS2 emulator that can upscale to HD - they just lock it behind PSN downloads. I doubt there's any technical reason why you can't play your PS2 discs.

Thought we were past this b8.

Dubs

That OP has been copypasted for a long time now. Don't bother trying to debate the faggot.

That OP is some stale b8 when it comes to emulation.

You can also fix the sprite tearing by turning of anisotropic filtering in the video plugin settings or by switching to software rendering.

That OP is some stale b8 when it comes to emulation.

You can also fix the sprite tearing by turning off anisotropic filtering in the video plugin settings or by switching to software rendering.

Checked

fuck yeah user that game is tits. Which of the mechs is your favorite?

Laguiole

Nobody really cares

you suck

My first 100 hours or so were with Vavel but it gets tiring.

sage

Dreamcast was the only good console from sixth gen.

Also, check'em.

speaking of the dreamcast, does anyone have that 8/v/'s recommended dreamcast games chart?

shameful

Considering he does it every PS2 thread he makes (assuming it is the samefag each time and not people copycatting for (you)s), I get the feeling the intent is to quickly increase the reply count with bait, even if it reduces the overall potential for the threads to be good.

YLOD must be avoided by upgrading fans and thermal paste. Uses more power than either PS2 (I'm just guessing, someone fact check).

ESR is a really good method to play burned games,i burned a few like yakuza 1 and smt 3 and they worked really well.
The only thing i recommend in case people do the ESR method is the brand of disk(sony and verbatim are good ones to burn and they will run pretty well on the ps2)

Should I get a PS2 Fat or Slim?

Well at least something can play PS2 discs finally.

Fat if you can, otherwise get a Slim but make sure is not one of the newer models.

what's wrong with the newer models?

Same developers as are responsible for the EDF games and Zangeki no Reginleiv.

Friend of mine has a refurbished model; thing's a noisy bastard when the fan kicks in. Anyhow, I want to way that I've heard the backwards compatible PS3's use late PS2 chips in them for their hardware compatibility. With the PS2 there was a number of compatibility differences between various models, mostly in regard to PS1 games, but also some PS2 games as well. While they feature overall similar compatibility, some games might be make-it-or-break-it for you. Assuming the PS3 chip to have been the later PS2 ones, I would guess it might have similar issues despite most games likely playing just fine. This assumes you're using a 20/60gb fat and not the partially compatible 80gb.

Maybe consider giving these a look over, but do note that the PS3 one does have a number of incomplete statuses.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

I prefer the fat for the expansion bay/HDD/loader functionality.

The newest est models of Slim didn't support Freemcboot

How do I check for which models are the newer models anyway?

Check the number below the Playstation 2, there's a sticker with that information. I don't remember much else so you might want to google it.

Each PS2 should have a sticker on the back or bottom (I forget exactly which) reading some string of letters and numbers. What you want is the part that reads "SPCH" and then whatever numbers and letters come after it for the model. Similar with the PS3 (though that's "CECH" for them).

Off yourself. It's the best way to play PS2 games. Pretty much all of them are stable except for some shitty shooters like Medal of Honor.

Why?

Nobody's posted this yet. Does it need an update?

PCSX2 is shit and badly optimized. Really it is much cheaper to just buy a real PS2, mod it, and a good component CRT. PCSX2 will force you into buying a 7960x/Ryzen 1950x.

Higher resolution, ability to use SweetFX, better framerate.

this is either bait or someone who ran with default settings and didn't bother to optimize his emulator for his os. Hard to tell which, maybe you are someone really poor running a computer from 2002 in 2017 or something?
Assuming its not bait and you are just confused, I have played several games on the ps2 emulator and had a fantastic experience. Not only did it run fantastic, but I was able to improve the graphics and play games in quality far surpassing my console experience.

but it works unlike most of the ps2's you will get second hand…or new or refurbished for that matter. Do you just play ps1 games on your ps2? Maybe you just buy the purple discs and that is good enough? Or you have one of those ps2s that will read silver discs and play dvds is that it?
Have your (you) you earned it.

I don't agree with the 'emulation is terrible' comments - but what hellhole do you live in that caused all these consoles to die? I've only come across one console with a dead lens here - and it only cost me 15NZD to replace. I know that early runs of fats had issues with burn out - along with a few revisions of slims that had 'protection' against modchips that ended up killing thousands of unmodified consoles.

Works on my machine of consoles

…and?

he only meant that pcsx2 according to him is a big pile of shit because its a buggy mess

No.
Just pirate the ISOs you faggot.
If your computer is shit, then yes don't bother.
If not use PCXS2. You only need ps2 bios. One per region.
It will only need minor tweaks in usually.

PCSX2 is no worse than the broken buggy system that was actually made to read ps2 games.

Usually happens with this faggot OP making the bulk of PS2 threads here for the last year or two. And with the opening text containing something inflammatory right off the bat, it doesn't help either. Apparently tossing bait out immediately outweighs the potential detriment to discussion quality. I also notice that thus far he's been a (1) and done this time. People have called him out on both the "best library" and "emulation is not recommended" stuff before, and every new thread he carries on with it just the same as before. Reminds me of a certain quote on arguing with members of a particular tribe, to be honest. I wouldn't necessarily blame things on those that prefer emulation, or those that prefer original hardware, or on where the PS2's library/hardware stand, but rather on people that don't recognize reposted bait when they see it, and can't help but bite the lure and argue against statements OP will never deviate from starting threads with.

If we had a working archival service here (unfortunately we still don't), I would LOVE to compile a screenshot of how many times he's made threads with the same sort of shit, the way someone did for "ITT: Worst Castlemania Ever" years back on halfchan.

I still have my PS2 slim, and I loved it, but here's some hard truth- any PS2 game that also has a PC version, the PC version is by far the better. Plus most of the big titles have had HD re-releases now. Not that I recommend paying for them or anything.

he's not wrong, if you want to emulate, you have your own cyclical threads for asking for help on getting ps2 games working.

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong (or right; my toaster's not really good enough for games, let alone sixth gen emulation, so I can't properly say from experience just how PCSX2 really is), just that he brings both thoughts up every PS2 thread he makes, knowing that a good chunk of replies are just going to be people dropping in to dispute the PS2's and PCSX2's statuses and/or call him a faggot, rather than having come in for actual discussion. The point being that he seems to intentionally fish for such a response, and has done so many times in the past few years. If the intent is to quickly build up the thread's post count, I'd rather a slower thread with quality discussion than one made fast by way of more-or-less stale copypasta straight from the initial post.

Just my own thoughts.

I reacquired a network adapter, and bought a busted and dirty fat PS2. After gutting the PS2 and cleaning out ten pounds of dust, and replacing the tray cover, I popped a 320GB HDD into it, and have been dumping my PS2 collection onto it. When I can be assed to do so, I'll put the drive back into my computer for mass-loading of games, as I have a few discs that the previous owners fucked up, and my PS2 can't rip them with HDLoader. Also CDROM PS2 games won't rip, but the system will boot the games from disc just fine. Weird.

There's no point arguing with emuniggers about PS2 emulation. A quick look at the emulation thread shows that PCSX2 is ZSNES tier. The recommendation against emulation is not to bait responses, it is to advise people who want to get the best experience out of their PS2 games.

Also why the hell do emulationfags always have to make these threads about themselves and get absolutely butthurt over anyone dissing their dear PCSX2?

You left out the single best racing game, not just on the PS2 but in all of gaming.

For the most case yes, an original model BC PS3 is a great way to play PS2 games due to the native HDMI output amongst other things. However, there are games that for whatever reason refuse to work properly on the PS3. This list on wikipedia is a great start. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

If you desperately want to play some of the games listed on that article at a higher resolution then I'd recommend running an original PS2 and using RGB component cables or trying to use an emulator.

its missing japanese only games as well

I don't see Shinobido: Way of the Ninja

If I'm a complete autist when it comes to systems (I refuse to play Gamecube games on my Wii despite owning both systems) Should I get pic related? I've never owned one but it looks like it has a comfy selection of games to play.

There are a few games that are not compatible with a few versions of the PS2.

Playing PS1 games on a PS2 has a few advantages: it has fast load and texture smoothing options and also component video output out of the box.

If you get a used PS2 that can no longer read DVDs there's a good chance that it'll be able to read CDs since the PS2 has one laser for CD media and another for DVD media. You could use that PS2 as a glorified PS1.

One advantage of the PS1 is that it is very easy to install a modchip to play burned games. You can flash a gameshark with unirom too.

Yeah, they're cool. I actually like the original Playstation over the PSone most of the time, just for aesthetics. I got one of each and a fat PS2 for free about 10 years agothat were brokenbut not anymore!

I just got a Pelican component switcher, component cables, and a Guncon 2 for my setup. Just finished loading the hard drive with all the light gun games and holy shit, Time Crisis 2 hit me in the feels. Used to play it every time I went to arcades in the mid-2000s.

i've gone through nearly 6 copies of that game with my little brothers, we've easily sank 1200+ hours into that game.

if you have a softmodded ps2,you can easily play them

A cheap dvd player with tons of shovelware shit.

Damn, that brings back some fucking memories.

this is unfortunately emulation and doesn't use any of the PS2's native backwards compatibility with PS1 games.

Your best bet is the SCPH-7500 for compatibility and the best GPU.

That's my boy, keep on pulling triggers.

tales of legendia?

But muh zero latency, muh scan lines.

best autism tier rpg?

its primarily a 480i console, using a flat panel or emulation on flat panels for that is just retarded.

I tried to set up the network adapter on my PS2, just for shits and giggles, but it said it didn't detect it. Is this a problem with loading games from HDD via the network adapter, or what? I know it's not something stupid like not being able to use both the HDD and ethernet at the same time, because I'm pretty sure FF11 was one of the few games to actually use the HDD.

what does this mean exactly, Im pretty illiterate when it comes to hardware modding

You can set up a SMB share in a windows computer (or you can use a linux computer with samba) with isos of the games you want to play. SMB is a protocol that windows uses to share resources such as files and printers on a network.

On your PS2, once you have softmoded it and installed OPL you can configure OPL to look for games on the SMB share and load games from it. SMB loading is not as good as HDD loading but it is better than USB loading so it is a good option for slim PS2s.

This seems like the best place to ask.. I've got 5 CRT tvs that have been sitting in my garage for years because my parents are borderline hoarders. Should I try to sell them at a pawn shop? Take them to craigslist? Recycle them somewhere? Some fourth thing?

kind of a follow up post, but there's a place nearby having a tax free sale soon I know they had a PS2 Slim with all the hookups and 1 controller, but I don't know the model. where would I check for the model number?

On the bottom centre sticker.

When it is vertical.

feels good mang
Forcing games to upscale to 1080i with GS Mode Selector looks great when combined with widescreen mode/hacks, but what do you guys think about it?

craigslist. only expect money for sony, jvc, panasonic, nec, tvs.

I stick to however the game renders originally, messing with the resolution causes a lot of artifacts for field based rendering games.

oh and also don't ask for a lot. Honestly you might have trouble getting rid of them.

Does it run the smb method well if someone has ADSL Internet?
From what i´ve read online is that you need to have both the ps2 and the pc connected to the router by ethernet

don't you have a router with ethernet ports? You could also directly connect it to your PC.

With a normal ethernet cable or a crossover one?

It is far better to acquire a router to handle this stuff. Decent wired, and even wireless routers are available for pennies. I have a small collection of Linksys BEFSR41 wired routers that I got for barely 5 bucks each at yard sales. Great for connecting the myriad bullshit network devices I have floating around.

You did set up the hard drive properly already, right? Games also have to be installed onto the drive via third party programs like WinHIIP as well; just copying the ISOs onto it won't make them usable.

The reason the network adaptor is required is to both provide the drive power to run (it draws from the PS2's power) and allow the system to be able to call data from the drive. I don't recall the system outright notifying me that the adaptor was detected when I set mine up, but the fact that after setting everything up, the drive would power on when the system turned on (you can visibly see it light up through the front grating of the expansion bay, at least with the drive I have) and that I could navigate the HDD storage in the Browser menu told me it was working.

The PS2 is the best console with the best library ever released. The pinnacle of gaming we look back to in these dark times.
That's not the PC you dumb faggot.

is loading games from my usb stick a bad idea ? I have no hard drive.
heard it'll make the whole thing slow
I have a ps2 slim btw

Devil may cry 3

Yeah FMVs will be choppy and load times will suck. If it's your only option it works but you can get a 100gb IDE HDD for next to nothing

thanks. I ended up checking it out again today. The PS2 slim has an SPCH 70001 sticker on it, and there's a PS2 fat with an SPCH 30001 sticker on it. That's good, right?

You might want to double check if anything on here that might not work is of interest to you.
Also consider what sort of policies the store you're looking at has if something should go wrong, like the disc tray not working (though if you were to get the fat and set it up with a drive and loader apps, that would bypass the potential issue for the most part, for PS2 games at least; no direct loader for PS1 games despite the system being backwards compatible).

Also note that, should you be looking to play PS1 games with it as well, you'll probably want to get a few PS1 memory cards. While the PS2 controllers and system are usable with PS1 games, the PS2's memory cards aren't.

So no matter which model you get, there's gonna be some games with compatibility issues. Makes deciding which model I should get a bit harder to decide.

I assume it has something to do with varying chips used between the models or something, but it's still odd to hear about some models of a system being unable to play games MADE with running on the general system in mind. Also swear that I saw a more detailed list of incompatible games for various models in the past (it was an old forum post), but having gone back and looked for it multiple times, it seems like the thread (and site as well maybe?) got scrubbed from the face of the internet since then. That said, the sheer bulk of the libraries should run on any PS2. It's just the particulars that you have to watch out for. And with Legend of Dragoon and FFT, if you have a CFW PSP, I'd think both probably work just fine as eboots. Especially since both saw native eboot conversion as PSN rereleases anyhow (as opposed to fan-made conversion). Just checked the PSN to be sure, as Wikipedia wasn't listing LoD as having one on the PS1 Classic page; I’m not sure when or why Konami opted to rerelease Suikoden IV up there for use with the PS3, but they did.

Anyhow, I'd still put some weight on the fat one if it works due to ability to use loaders and a drive. The PS2 is still fairly reasonable to pick stuff up for, but a number of games are hard to find and/or expensive already, so loaders make for a nice work around. Also ability to play out-of-region and fan-patched games (be it fan-translated or undubbed), as until the PSP and PS3, Sony region locked all their systems. I'm happy to know I'll have a means to play ToD: Director's Cut when its patch comes out down the line (from the sound of it, A0t has been making good progress).

My fat is a 30001, and it works perfectly with the 320GB HDD I bought for it. I also have a couple 70001s, but I have no reason to use them anymore thanks to OPL.

I can load games from it fine, I've been doing that for years, but I recently tried to set up the network adapter to play games online (yes, I know all the servers are gone, but some games have custom servers), but they just weren't detecting the network adapter. Curious that you mention your HDD showing up in the browser, because mine doesn't even though FHDB and everything all work fine. Could that have anything to do with my issue? It seems non-homebrew software just isn't detecting the network adapter/HDD.

can use an hdd adapter OR a network connection to load games
requires obtaining an adapter
can only use network connection
no adapter needed (may require a crossover ethernet cable)
See

I only ever had a slim but loading from a network share on an old dell laptop worked fine, plus virtual memcards were easy to access from said laptop

Everyone's talking about how to NOT use discs with the systems, even if they still work. Alternately, replace the laser.

I'm not sure. I haven't tried using mine for actual online, considering how late I actually got a PS2. But yeah, the drive shows up in the browser on the same level as where you'd go to select a memory card to manage. Manually loading the HDD screen for it is obnoxious though, depending on how much you have on the drive (the browser loads one item at a time and if it reaches the end of the screen it'll stop, forcing each subsequent line to have to load before you can drop further). Setting a direct link to the loader applications via FMcB saves a noticeable amount of time.

you can also play burned games and usb on the slim(even though its shit)

I've been trying to get a copy of mgs2 to work on my ps2 slim for awhile now, it says it is reading the disc but the disc never loads. I did a simple mod so the ps2 could run games while open and I saw pic related. mgs2 is the only game this happens on. anyone know a fix?

Try a different PS2 to see if it's an issue with the disc or that specific system. The first rule of technical troubleshooting is to replace suspected bad with known good. Similarly, how you can see if a phone is the source of a service problem by putting its SIM card into another (preferably similar model if not identical) phone and testing what was failing in the original phone. My PS2 fat is not liking any CDROM games when I try to dump them with HDLoader, and I found a couple other games are too damaged to be dumped. Them's the breaks when you buy your collection from thrift stores. Thankfully, there are tools for Windows that let you dump and load disc images onto the hard drive, but it's a pain in the goddamn ass if you don't have a separate computer for the purposes of having random hard drives plugged into it.

Retard here. How do I fix my old PS2?
It still starts up, but, when I put a disc in, the system does not detect a disc being in it, so I can't run the game.

Set it up to load games without discs.

it's probably got dead lasers. Try both a CD game (blue bottom/PS1 game) and a DVD game (gold bottom) Your only solution is repair or hdd/network loading.

You can try adjusting the laser pots. There's one for CD based games and another for DVD based games.

Emulators are superior to original hardware.

Elaborate on your position.

The PS2 was the facebook of consoles.

Elaborate on your position.