What happened to benchmarks in PC games?

Where did benchmarks go? Did they disappear because publishers are worried that if people try the benchmark and see how shit the performance is no matter what settings that they'll refund it right away?

Because that won't happen if you change the settings midgame.

Benchmarks still exist, they're usually just launched by commandline options these days and kept around to pacify hardware reviewers and Linux autists.

I agree that this shit is stupid though, having to pause on the opening mission to be able to adjust the settings is absolutely retarded and destroys any attempt at a presentation and first impression you tried to give the player.

Benchmarks and other "nice to have" features went away because developers don't give a shit, anymore. They are getting paid anyway. The publishers are going to sell whatever they shit out, relying entirely on marketing. Nobody cares about the actual product. Not even modern consumers.

/Thread

the benchmark mod is dlc

Umm, don't you know? Your first impression of a game comes from the advertisements on Reddit? :^)

Remember how in Saints Row 2, the game would randomly either run in permanent slow motion or in permanent fast motion depending on your computer, and the solution was to load a pre-made save and time how long it took for a car to reach a finish line with a stop watch to see how much you had to tweak the game's speed?

You had to use a calculator to check how long it took the car to reach the finish line against how long it was supposed to take the car to reach the finish line too, actually.

Why would you need a bench you dumb nigger don't you have a chair already

They don't put benchmarks in modern games now, because they've already decided what performance profile they want you to have. If you get between 30 and 60 frames per second, they see that as good performance. So they test a flurry of different systems to try and achieve 30-60. 60 fps is not a requisite to them.

If it gets a consistent 30 fps, they see that as "passing grade," even if you don't.

There was a time when games were made to push the limits of hardware. Now most games are made to run on people's shitty workstation laptops because it's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator. Your hobby has been butchered and forced into the normalfagsphere, and until there's another industry crash you'll never get it back

Moviefags have been wishing for the death of hollywood for years.
Iv given up hope for a industry crash.
Pirate everything, buy what you like.

Didn't mean to imply that it would ever actually happen. The video game industry has become too big to fail, and even bad games from AAA studios turn a profit. I also wouldn't be surprised if mysterious (((donors))) are providing funding or "favors" to studios that produce left-wing content in their games. As long as they toe the line they won't fall. I think your comparison with Hollywood is a good one.

Oh i semi got that you thought that way was adding on.
And yer game industry is looking way to much like Hollywood these days. We need a hard reset in every industry. Nothing gets "invented" or made new just because its fucking cool to make it and people would love the shit out of it. People make for the cash and if they make something that even somewhat looks to fuck over the big corps in the industry they flash their skirt in hopes to get bought out.
I need a drink.

I know ffxiv has it.

"consoles" happened, and by consoles I mean more financially viable platforms with support of a first party that can maximize sales, technical support and give devs full control over game play.

These days the difference between medium and maximum/ultra settings is so minuscule it might not even exist.

I like how all the old capcom PC games have the benchmark that actually ranks your PC, such a cool little thing to enjoy.

They don't have to go that far, the kikes already owns most of the bigger publishers and gaming-companies.

I wish RE7 had a benchmark. The graphics menu is vague as fuck on how much VRAM some settings will use.

Nice (1) and done. Benchmarks didn't go anywhere. Name 10 pre-2007 games with benchmark you massive faggot. I'll wait.

I thought RE5 was still recent

And Hollywood's facing a crash now.

I found out about this too late to care when I installed SR2. I thought the game was just abysmally unbalanced when certain gang cars would spawn almost on top of each other during later missions. Imagine my surprise when it was another port bug.

Ubicucks are truly the worst. I still can't believe there is a circlejerk thread for this game. I hope you fucks get BTFO like the HIV-positive Overcucks did.

Mate, they are losing tons of money and even have stupid movies that completely bomb.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT

look up milk mare

The last game I remember even having a benchmark was DQ10 of all things, and that didn't even come out anywhere other than Japan.

Autism, user. I never fell for the meme myself and criticized those around me who did but if they didn't grow up and out of it by late-2013 at the latest (around the time DWM happened) chances are more often then not they're high-functioning and are beyond saving.

All the bamham games had benchmark tests

8 years old and many RE games have happened since.
Op raccoon, 6, 7, revelations, revelations 2, that shitty unity game. and probobly another

You stupid nigger, it's not a hard concept to grasp. This is a thread on Holla Forums, not some fucking Twitch stream where I have to answer every insipid post made at me. Fuck yourself

Honestly despite that game's shortcomings Arkham Origin looked really nice. I'll always love winter cities and Origin had a really gorgeous one.

Hard Reset had a benchmark tool

GTA V and nuDoom both have a benchmark feature

Examples?

Obvious fucking bait you nigger.