If a video game has a story of any kind whatsoever, it also has a sociopolitical message and/or commentary

If a video game has a story of any kind whatsoever, it also has a sociopolitical message and/or commentary.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

factfiend.com/ray-bradbury-told-interpretation-book-wrong/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

False.
Now fuck off.

Everything is political. Whether you like it or not.

As long as you're not using the sociopolitical message you're getting from the game to further a political agenda and/or censor stuff and/or you're purposefully being obtuse to get the message you want the game to send unless it's funny, I'm okay with this.

What are the politics of castlevania?

None.
Some games have a clear political message, some don't.
You can interpret any game in a political way (ie something retarded like, Castlevania's MC is a white man and set in Europe so it's a white supremacy patriarchal game), but that doesn't mean it's what the author intended. Which means comments like are retarded.
Now fuck off with this stupid subject.

Eastern europeans are bloodthirsty tyrants

Whats the politics of pac man

What the author intended doesn't mean a fucking thing.

It's the only thing that matters.
Any other interpretation is Tumblr tier headcanon and therefore useless.

Pacman is a communist dictator eating all the food and avoiding the revolutionaries until he can gain a small army to kill them until the army deserts him and he is forced to evade the revolutionaries once more. Every level is a different dictator.

It's jewish propaganda that encourages running away from your poblems (the ghosts) and the only way to stop the is by taking pills (anti depressants and hormones). The more pills you consume the higher your score.

Incorrect. What the viewer gains and interprets from the work is the only thing that matters. The author is merely the delivery system for the work.

Fuck off Anita.

Wrong. The viewer can interpret literally anything. And I mean literal in the actual meaning of the word. It doesn't mean dick. You have mentally challenged fucks interpreting Earthbound as a communist utopia and Chrono Trigger as Christian propaganda. It doesn't fucking matter. The general public will know there's no politics in the game if the author didn't clearly put them in the game.
Now stop being retarded.

Yes, people everywhere are decrying the brutality of imperialism on display when my dick annexes your mom.

The author can intend it as anything. It doesn't mean dick. The work is the work. And the only value and meaning it has is what the viewer draws from it. If political meaning is what a person draws from it then it is a valid interpretation for that viewer. There is no one meaning for any creation. Now stop being retarded.

This. If viewers incorrectly interperet an authors work and then lynch him then it was 100% justified.

Ok, keep being retarded then. I don't care to stop you.

How true is this lads?

That is a valid personal interpretation of this thread.

Fun fact: When giving a lecture on his book Fahrenheit 451, he was stopped by college dipshits who disagreed with his explanation of the theme of the book. The retardation reached a fever pitch and he left, never to give a lecture on his book ever again. People who unironically believe in "death of the author" are fucked up in the head and high as shit on the smell of their own farts.

factfiend.com/ray-bradbury-told-interpretation-book-wrong/

Correct. Now fuck on.

Not actually videogames.
Check em.

Fandoms were a mistake.

This, if I write a text with an idea that I want to express, the meaning of the text doesn't change if Professor Bagelstein uses critical theory to deconstruct it down to nothing and argue that it supports whatever he wants to promote.

that's a given
everyone is biased in one way or another

Unless you're 71d2f9 and are OK with interpreting a bird chirping as the coming of the apocalypse.

I KNEW Super Mario was racist for not having people of color. Thanks for affirming my suspicions, user!

explains a lot really

Some of it is implied, some of it is direct, and some of it comes from the viewer projecting their own ideas of what it means.

if a world has information of any kind whatsoever, it also has a value-belief system interpretation and/or misinterpretation.

discussed.

Stories don't always have to harbor sociopolitical messages and/or commentary, so the answer is an emphatic NO. Sometimes a story can convey what the author believes to be a sociopolitical message and/or commentary, but which is actually and entirely off the mark, and is instead an unintentionally hamfisted and nonsensical portrayal of the subject matter at hand, which in turn serves nothing more than to illustrate said author's ignorance or stupidity. Some stories can provide morals, but these in and of themselves aren't always relevant to any given sociopolitical climate and can therefore be perceived as general, universal messages that give caution to any given action or way of thinking that transcend societal norms and appeal to the basal instincts that dwell within the human heart and mind.

In short, fuck you.

Wait a minute is this a quote from that one GDC presentation that talked about taking influence from 1984 and trying to "weaponize nice".

No. Now please proceed to kill yourself.

What are the politics of VVVVVV?

its entirely possible to tell a story without politics or morals. A story can just be about the events surrounding a character and how they work with the. thinking everything has to have some big deeper meaning is foolish and also gay

No.

Only because audiences will read sociopolitical meanings into literally every single fucking narrative.
Fortunately, most of them can be ignored, except in those cases where either A) the author steps onto his soapbox, and/or B) a particular interpretation gets so much people believing it that they get into academia and thus declare all other interpretations wrong.

Your attitude is why SJWs control gaming now.

Gas yourself Del Toro, and take the rest of (((Hollywood))) with you.

excuse me while I boot up dig dug, oh shit I was able to boot it up and no one cared to stop me, perhaps sjw dont care if I play dig-dug…
oh I can boot postal as well its almost as if they are actually powerless to stop me as a put this titty slider to max in my weeb game or put ethnic cleansing mods on doom

No.

Except they literally stopped people from doing that unless they knew Nip in Xenoblade Chronicles. Treehouse is now working directly with developers to give "advice" on what to change before a game is released in Japan so it doesn't have to be changed for western versions. Even learning Nip won't save your precious breast sliders forever.

This is only true in the sense that the politics surrounding the artist can, in manners both big and small, affect him, which can have an influence the art he creates. This does not mean that there is a political meaning behind everything. In many cases the result of these political influences are themselves apolitical. In fact, a true work of art, for lack of a better term, must not have a political message that takes one position of an issue over another, because that would conflict with the artist's responsibility to represent reality as truthfully and objectively as he can. To quote Tolstoy "The political is not compatible with the artistic, because the former, in order to prove, has to be one-sided." The true artist only touches on political subjects as far as they relate to human nature. Only a hack would indulge himself in the subject to the point where what he creates becomes nothing more than becomes propaganda.

*becomes nothing more than propaganda
I'm tired it's almost 2am where I live.

Discuss my dubs.

You.can scream all you want about how games aren't political or plug your ears and say no to it but the rest of the world isn't going to stop doing it. This is why we are fossils that have no influence over the shit anymore. Because being right doesn't mean a fucking thing and it won't make it stop.

Discuss this

Jesus our dubsposters have gone to complete shit. You embarass your predecessors badly.

Not my fault I keep wasting my dubs in other threads.

nononono, pacman represents the white man eating all the diversity. the yellow balls represents power and when the white man gets too much power by eating the larger balls he goes on a rampage and kills off every other race.

This issue is really annoying. The thing is, yeah, at some point the design of politics and the design of vidya are the same. NOT AT ALL LIKE HOW THEY MEAN IT. Shit's more abstract than they treat it.

Existentially, you have to have some sort of belief in order to conceive of anything. That belief in some way determines your actions. (I think x so I will vote for y) Though it's not necessary for it to be articulated. You just kinda act out your beliefs, declared or not.

There's elements that go into game design (fundamental worldview in particular) that also have quite a bit to do with other conceptual areas.

When the time comes to put people like you in camps, my only hope is that it is met with thunderous applause.

That's the reasoning behind the SJW belief that all fiction impacts society and must be policed. Go fuck yourself.

"Everything is political" and "I can make anything political" are not the same thing.

Pic is just dogshit and grossly inaccurate. Just going to hold the sgeddi in.

Also, pretty much no one cares about the metaphorical bear metaphorically shitting in the metaphorical woods, except maybe the furries and goofies.

Everything is political except Holla Forums, which is just white trash screaming impotently about niggers and circlejerking.

Not really.
I can make a game about shooting niggers in africa because that's a fun thing to do and zombies are boring, and i could make the game about shooting niggers in africa have polotical charge of you having to fight cult members who hide behind charity and humanitarism to circlejerk and re-enslave niggers through more subtle means, than ye olde ball and chain

At least they're stopping good games from being made.

God there's so many chinese girls in my city and they're so fucking hot
But they all move in groups of other chinese people and refuse to talk to anyone that isn't a chink

HOW DO I FUCK A HOT CHINESE HIPSTER?????
PLEASE HELP

The oven awaits you

LEARN CHINESE, OR BE AN ALPHA.
pirate gorilla mindset, ask >>>/pdf/

I'm not surprised about the Chinese. Those I've met were really supportive to people learning the language and eager to tell interesting linguistic trivia, though it's probably true for most people traveling in foreign countries.

That's literally every country where you show minimum of effort to learn their language

It's because it's like teaching a dog how to speak human language. Almost adorable in a weird kind of way

Stage 1 of understanding MGS2: Solidus was the hero and the elusive patriots must be stopped.

Stage 2 of understanding MGS2: The patriots were right about the way information is abused in modern society but were wrong about how to deal with it.

Stage 3 of understanding MGS2: The patriots were right in censoring information to control context because this is the only way for society to avoid cultural degeneration in the information age like we are seeing right now.

Artificial intelligence at the point of singularity will either be the destructor or savior of mankind, I have finally reached the point where I hope Kojima was right.

Hah, pretty neat seeing art inspired by cassettercorder's old shit pop up around the web.

The guy is a fucking enigma and almost never posts anything other than just art and short status updates and I swear to god he was dropped into a bucket of aesthetics as a baby. He's got a pretty unique style and vibe to everything he does.

I wanna see a vidya with his aesthetics. The game that came closest was OFF and it was still too frenchy and not cold and autistic enough.