Let's decide once and for all, what is the better video game series, Halo or Half-Life?

Let's decide once and for all, what is the better video game series, Halo or Half-Life?

Other urls found in this thread:

halo.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is how I die

halo really. there's only one good half-life game, 4 good halo games. better AI, better levels, an actual story, better weapons, and better music.

It's not even a debate that's worth having. Halo as a series is far better. inb4 butthurt steamfags defending their card game company.

if you get your opinions from other people who have nothing of value to say, you might as well die tbh

I've always hated half life

It's really rather sad.

I prefer Half-life, I never really found Halo's lore to be interesting.

Half-Life doesn't have any lore unless you're talking about Half-Life 2 which is basically a completely different series compared to HL1.

Aside from that, there is really no lore besides how civilian life works and how the Combine came to invade.

I wish. Turning thirty is depressing enough without mouthbreathers parading fucking halo of all things as a classic series.

Halo CE was fantastic and "babbys first FPS" didn't even start until Halo 3 came out you fucking newfags. It's one of the best FPS campaigns ever made and the multiplayer gave it thousands of hours of replayability, unlike Half Life which just had none. Half Life was cool but it's not good for more than 2 plays before you've seen everything it has to offer and become bored.

Jesus Christ

I enjoyed Halo, but then I never really "liked" FPS very much to begin with. I also enjoyed Spec Ops: The Line, but then I never really "liked" third-person shooters very much either.

Half-Life had a very popular multiplayer, it spawned CS:GO

It's the perfect shitposter.

I guessed I should have said "counter strike" as a whole.
But yes, CS:GO is an abortion of a game.

Halo, Half-Life, and F.E.A.R. are like the holy trinity of nostalgia games. Three of the most mediocre games you will ever play, yet, if you heard people talking about them you would think they were come form of works of art.

There's just something about kids who played grew up playing games in the early-mid 2000s who just can't accept that most of the stuff they grew up playing just wasn't that good. Heck, I played Halo and enjoyed it when I was younger. It was literally my first FPS, but you couldn't pay me to go back and play that boring campaign again.

In this thread people who recognize halo's superiority are ready to make arguments while hlfags provide the argumentative equivalent of sharing a political hot take on twitter and replying with "omg really??? Like ew gross" because they have no real arguments.

The thinking mans shooter indeed

Half Life and FEAR are "huh, neat I guess" now while Halo still stands up as amazing to a first time player. You probably played it so many times (because its great) you became jaded to it.

Give me a fps that is excellent in your world view then, user. Let's all rate it.

He can't name shit besides doom/doom clone/quake

They are a lot better than fear which you only liked because the dated matrix slow mo and le "flash light" xD and definitely can't remember its forgettable level design or its limp dick weapons.

Fear is Holla Forumscore shite. Doom is actually a well designed game as is quake. Its a 5/10 you cling to desperately insist your shit taste is remotely refined or relevant.

Doomfags are even worse than halo babbies

Half life is second only to Doom in creating the FPS genre, and 2 even created ingame physics as a whole. All Halo did was popularize regenerating shields and vehicle sections, ie. bastardizing the genre. So of course if you're a little shit-eater who thinks regenerating health is fine, you're going to see Halo as amazing in comparison.
Fuck you and your whole generation. I mean it.

Holla Forumscore autists are the worst of all entry level fags

It's disgraceful, just look at these faggots:

You young faggots are the cancer that is killing vidya.

Not an argument in favor of hls shit weapons, joke story, awful music or its driving missions and unskippable cutscenes

I've never even played FEAR you fucking faggot, and you're just proving my point that you can't name anything besides the most legendary FPS games ever made because you have no actual examples

see

You dont have a point, most shooters are shit anyway. Probably never even played doom 64 ex, powerslave saturn or turok 3 you plebe

Well technically you never see Master Chief's face either, but I know what you meant.

Get with the times grandpa

FEAR was sold on graphics alone, or technical proficiency if you really want to elevate pc faggots who marveled at the explosions and lightning.

1. Everyone complained about the boring setting, which feels like a samey uninspired stream of offices and warehouses.
2. Enemy variety was extemely low, despite the good AI.
3. Its sole gimmick, bullet time, was already stale and overused when it came out.

Most importantly, all these points were incredibly magnified by the times: i.e. COD desensitized people to lack of enemy variety, but back then it was a huge turnoff. Same with lack of interesting setting: nowadays, a bland gray world is almost a given.

But you have learned of the game from memes and the mustard race, so you won't believe me. I can't intrude that little comfortable image you've made, with the highly intelligent nerds playing their patrician game… just like the anonymous poster with the cool memes says.

Half life 2 has the best story hands down but halo was a lot more fun especially with multiplayer.

I remember when we used to talk about how people would unironically defend Halo in the future. I remember posting this in a prior thread about just such a thing. I'm tired, Holla Forums.

oh the fucking irony

Tell me one memorable level besides the first one and any of the bosses in DOOM?

I've beaten DOOM and FEAR and can tell you with great accuracy the level progression of FEAR, never mind go on about its weapons the Penetrator, Shotgun, Heavy Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, or even the Particle Cannon. The slow motion is a unique aspect of the game meant to make it easier for less experienced fpsers. I bet you haven't done a complete no-slomo play-through on Extreme yet, huh faggot?

The only thing doom has going for it is the weapons and the ability to gib enemies in fun and interesting ways, and FEAR also has that, but DOOM's edge is far easier moddability and a more active community. Which is is probably how you found out about it when your balls started dropping.

Now, I agree with everything else, but that shit isn't actually hard. I did it on my first run of F.E.A.R. because an user told me it was hard, and I laughed at him afterwards.

Wow, I'm so surprised

It's time for me to sleep now.

Modern-tier arguments, obviously you're just a kid who was too young to play Halo when it came out. Nobody will miss you, faggot.

Perfect hatred

Then they missed out on the opportunity to make every situation a tactical one and plan out how you'll attack the enemy. There are several opportunities in the game where you have the upper hand to plan grenades get a snipe on a critical target or just run in guns blazing. I always saw these real life settings as a scenario to think of 'what if I was in a firefight in an office or a campus etc'

2. Enemy variety was extemely low, despite the good AI.

That's true. Not much they could do about that without speeding up the story to include more supernatural phenomena. The drones, mechs and assassins where peppered throughout the story nicely, though.

What other games used bullet time in 2005? Call of Duty: Modern Warfare came out in 2007, btw. What point are you trying to make here?

You might wanna look in the mirror yourself there, my man. Living off the memories of a nearly 30 year old game and talking shit about my favorites from 12 years ago isn't doing your argument any good.

Oh, man, user. Will those wounds of yours just not heal? I don't even dislike doom, but I dislike it being given the bar for quality just because its "first" despite the many flaws it has.

Sometimes a mix up of these, and even sometimes with the lights off!

Perfect hatred is e4m2 you tool

And how exactly? Halo actually has really good enemy design and ai, most enemies are projectile based, they have distinct behaviours and reactions and work well both in tight spaces and more open levels, they took what was good about quake and doom enemy design and expanded on it.

The level design may not be that interesting but I really can't think of a singleplayer fps that does outdoor levels as good as Halo.

The gunplay and weapons are decent, you have to consider the fact that the game is a fucking console shooter, you get most of the feedback through vibration and everything is balanced around the controller.
Playing halo on pc with mouse+kb is like playing vanilla doom with mouselook.

Then you have vehicles which are all well made and add an interesting element to the campaign (especially in coop) and to the multiplayer sandbox. I always hated vehicles in fps games, but Halo makes them fun to use and to destroy, you have a lot of ways to tackle them and the damage model and physics get better with every chapter, Reach being the best iteration.

Plus, Halo (especially Halo 2 and 3) is the only noteworthy multiplayer console shooter, it is a well balanced casual take on the arena formula, with a lot of good maps and game modes, includining custom ones.

Now someone will come and say that health regen is always bad, that the 2 weapon limit is too restricting. Yes those are bad in most modern console shooters, but Halo manages to make health regen bearable by not forcing you into cover every 2 seconds (well, except at the highest difficulty) and it encourages you to pick up and constantly switch weapons, and compared to generic cod hitscan smgs there's a lot of variety in there to enjoy.

Yeah, well I don't remember it. Funny how 'memorable' the levels are that you have to tell me that you just named a level and didn't make some 'le edgy' joke. How long did it take you to google the name I wonder?

Well that's like asking if you what pile of shit you'd rather eat?

Nah, this isn't my first rodeo. proves my point, really (I like the implication that I have to namedrop obscure games to fans of a popular game). Anything I could name is already disqualified. Luckily, you don't have to know what FPS games I like to know that I think F.E.A.R. is an overhyped, mediocre title.

Now shouldn't you be making another thinly-veiled F.E.A.R. thread under the guise of "great A.I. in games?"

Oh, shit, as to illustrate my point further. You claim you don't dislike Doom, yet your asspained posts about it suggest otherwise. This is all a result of your argumentum ad butthurt.

Timesplitters obviously

sheeeiit meant for

I bet its not, lol.

I think I'd like to know the good ones if you are going to come into this thread and claim to know them.

I can like doom, but still see its flaws. Mainly bland level design due to being held back by its engine. FEAR's level designing was based off aesthetic and the tactical edge the game was trying to convey. I do, however, take exception to having DOOM somehow trump FEAR on its own just because its the legacy grandpa fps.

hehe y-you're so butthurt let me break out the latin

You being angry at games that arn't even popular anymore and are quickly being consumed by today's trash is what is funny here. Go back to your 30 year old nostalgia game that just so happens to need 100+ mods in order to stay fresh.

literally how the game was meant to be played. the only reason it didnt catch on is because id thought people were too retarded for it and disabled it by default.

The game wasn't designed with mouselook in mind and the engine doesn't even support it, you need a sourceport to enable it.

mcfucking kill yourself

I'm 29.

>Halo
Half-Life

Uh…Battlefront.

I really miss those times, the industry today is made up of either pretentious story faggot indie devs, corporate soulless shareholder-pleasing devs out to squeeze you dry or eSports cunts with nothing interesting to show. Very little of the guys who were at least passionate about making games, the only ones left that are still good are CD Project Red, Croteam and some other eastern devs.

All I want is a good story, good gameplay, good non-cartoonish artstyle and good level design. Yet it seems that is impossible to ask for today.

Not the opportunity to drive one, but whole unavoidable sections of it. In your example it's up to you if you decide to use one or not.

Thinking back to my playthroughs in Halo: CE and Halo 2, there are only two sections in Halo: CE that you are required to drive a vehicle (Reverse travel through the snow canyon and the final part of "The Maw"), and the same thing for Halo 2 (In the first and last Arbiter levels, Banshees both times).

Half Life no question

Half life, even though both get boring and tedious at times, to deny all the minute details in half life design and AI would be insane.

2 was especially impressive, in terms of combine soldiers constantly reporting your location via radio.

No, the cancer killing Holla Forums is no fucking discussion. No one around here ever explains themselves, they just shitpost and walk away. There's a reason that people prefer /vg/, because they actually talk about if something was good or bad. Why? Because most of Holla Forums doesn't even understand game design, programming, animations, sound design, and all the other things that make up a game on a fundamental level. I would even go so far as to say, that's what's wrong with current Vidya as a whole. Oldfags who come and complain about why video games have gone to shit are even worse because they lived through the past two decades and still haven't figured it out.

Take d6366e for instance.
All of his posts

Are essentially nothing. He's posted 4 times but contributed nothing aside from reaction images and "lel it's shit, but I won't sit and explain why"
It's always been Holla Forums you fucking troglodyte. Moving a couple of the same users to a different website and calling it something else won't change the fact that it's still cut from the same shitty cloth.

You obviously never played Half Life because even the original WON half life death match was really fucking popular and eventually spawned Steam. Halo fans are really babies that had it as their first game.

Again it comes down to age because the new faggots that think halo is actually good and better than half life, you obviously weren't there to remember how big a deal half life was. When that shit came out it was like the messiah of games was born and anyone that owned a PC was talking about that shit. You had a shit ton of mods people playing the death match online, you had counter strike TFC DoD firearms (still can't get over the kid that said half life had no multiplayer replayability) and not to mention all the great fan made single play mods like They Hunger, Azure Sheep, Afraid of Monsters, Cthulu, just to name a few.

This shy really make me sad what's happened to gaming these days, especially here. I cannot believe that people seriously think Halo is better a series that was mediocre at best compared to probably the most popular, respected and played video game since the Doom Shareware

Halo 2 and 3 had the comfiest multiplayer

Also Covenant sluts

Half Life
but fuck Dave and Valve for not doing HL3

Where is all this new hate for half life and halo coming from?
Why is everyone calling these games bad now?

I'm someone who loves Halo, and always will. It was amazingly fun, and I still play it now and again today.
So please understand when I say: I'd have to give that to Half Life.

On the raw gameplay level? Probably Halo. It certainly had the multiplayer down pat. The campaign combat was also quite solid, you ask me, and I'd certainly say I had more fun fighting things in Halo than I did in Half Life.
But, where Halo falls short is the size and depth of the campaign.

Half-life can be replayed, and you'll find new, interesting things, in areas you never knew about. Can't really do that in Halo. Likewise, where Halo's maps repeated after a while, Half Life had a lot of areas, offering quite a length of play, so it'd take longer to get 'familiar' with the lot to the point that it is no longer really 'fun' to go back through them.

Ultimately, I think Halo and Half Life aren't really comparable. They're different style games, when it comes down to it. Half Life, you scrounge more, hunting ammo and weapons and packs of health. Halo, you mostly fight. Your only scrounging is from enemies, but rarely do you, say, explore purely for that extra healthpack.

Now, mind you, I'm only talking about Halo CE and the first Half Life, here.
When it comes to later half lifes, I was unimpressed, myself. But likewise, I was unimpressed with Halo 2, bar the arbiter bits.

Max Payne (2001)
Max Payne 2 (2003)

It's hip to hate popular things

It's fun to hate long-loved games, user. Plus Holla Forums just hates video games.

Multiplayer did definitely give it a lot of playability when it came to that section.
Half Life's singleplayer went far further, though.

Half Life also technically had a multiplayer, but personally, I wouldn't count it, since from what I recall, it was mostly fun with all the mods and shit around it to make actually entertaining modes.

Speak for yourself. I keep going back. That game was fun.
As for why Halo, at least, gets talked about fairly often, it has some solid worldbuilding especially when you add in the books what kept it alive.
Loads of shit to talk about, when it comes to that jazz.

I think people underplay worldbuilding.
Quality worldbuilding ensures your game, even after all the gameplay and fun is done, can continue to be talked about. People'll make their own little stories, their own theories, and talk about their own thoughts. They'll keep expanding on your title, and keep up interest to find out if they're right, or if the characters they've grown to enjoy keep on going.

Incidentally, if you want to talk about overrated games, I say you should look back at shit like Doom or Quake.
Those earliest shooters are fucking dull as all hell.
'Least jazz like Mario and whathaveyou had something to keep doing. I'm not sure what the appeal was, honestly, in those old initial shooters, because you end up doing the same fucking jazz every time, scraping your ass on the wall in search of 'secrets'.
Doom was a bit better, to be fair. Also had solid music, something else required I think to be properly remembered.

Kill yourself.

Personally I didn't mind regenerating shields. I find Halo's way of combining it with health to be probably the best way to go. Collecting health kits is a drag, what slows down the game. Which, incidentally, seems to be the argument most people give against regenerating health. That it turns the game into "stop wait around the corner for a bit". Well, with health kits, it's the same way you ask me, as combat turns in to "run away to find that healthkit you had 5 minutes back".

I kind of wonder if maybe Far Cry's system of healing one's self is the way to go.
It didn't seem all that well implemented in the game, but that might just be due to the quality of combat as a whole in that. The healing, though, required you to actually take steps, yourself, to take care of your injuries. If you could duck behind something long enough, you could heal yourself, but at the same time, you'd be defenseless while doing so. Turned things into more of a gamble, I guess.

In any case, Halo CE's combined system seemed to do well for it, at least. I never had any moment where I felt combat was being slowed down due to it.

Both Halo and Half-Life are important for their innovations in gaming.
Half-life made Gameplay and story seamless, and Halo revolutionized online Mutiplayer. They deserve recognition for that, but both games also did far more harm then good when it came to gaming as a whole.

Half-life's emphasis on story lead to walk and talk sections as well as other parts in games where your stopped in your tracks and forced to hear NPC's talk, which kills replayability.
Halo popularized regenerating health and the two weapon rule which massively cuts down on strategy and player choice.
While you can't exactly blame Halo and Half-life for every mediocre game that failed at copying them, their popularity and influence is what lead Duke Nukem from being a great Fast paced maze shooter, to a crap stories driven hallway shooter with regenerating health and a two weapon rule.

I had to say witch is better i would say Half-Life simply because there is no weapon limit. if Halo had no weapon limit I would say it's was better.

But Half Life has platforming and Halo just has long corridors.

Long corridors and wide open areas, yeah.
Also:

Halo has some decent mechanics for an arcade shooter and constant action to keep you from getting bored. Half Life has some pitiful gunplay for a semi tactical shooter, a lot of boring levels and enemies, and you're forced to stand around doing nothing while listening to some lame syfy story that sounds like it was written by a highschooler.

I'd pick Halo if I had to choose between the two, but Soldier of Fortune is better than both.

I actually prefer corridors to open areas. Also, Halo has a lot of open areas.

My favorite areas tend to be a mix. Tight places next to fairly open areas, what let you kind of pick and choose your route more.
Will you take the place with loads of cover, but a high likelyhood of being cornered, or the place with a lot less cover, but more maneuverability, as it were.

Half Life was a short lived sham of a series that Valve never really cared about outside of its value as an elaborate platform for making money off of tech demos, which dried up the second Valve discovered an easy way to grift all of the money from the entire PC vidya industry
Halo, on the other hand, went on for a good while, has sandbox gameplay elements that aren't just "hey check out our physics engine please give us money", and has plenty of autistic lore

Neither. Doom2 is the only good FPS.

Don't even get me started on the downright masterful multiplayer maps that are definitely not corridors

ITT:
underage faggots whos first game was halo and mature people who know hl was far superior in every aspect

vs
the correct answer is serious sam

In other words, cancer.

Sorry Holla Forums, I need to get this off my chest. It's been annoying me for weeks.
I remember the flood being boring in the original game, but not this much. Is this what halo fans want more of? Do they enjoy shit like this?

I love cramped corridors because taking down multiple enemies with a submachine gun in 3 seconds, gibs flying all over the place, and blood splash painting the room red are the most enjoyable moments in an FPS game. Of course, neither Halo and Half Life has any of these. That's why they're shit.

Doom is overrated and Doom "2" is just a shitty expansion pack. 2.5D FPS gunplay is really boring. Even Brutal Doom has lame damage response since the enemies are still boring 3 frame animation retards with no visible wounds and injury.

ok then :^)

Because HL2 created a lot of cancer in FPS games as much as Halo did, and many are just now realizing it.

Grow up Valvecucks.

is a kid reviewing this or did he just not hit puberty?

Jesus Christ this guy is a living shitpost

I'm not a valvecuck, I have never bought a single Steam game. Give me some head.

As far as fan games go a lot of work went into it and a lot of deliberate design decisions were made, these aren't conditions that have arisen from incompetence or negligence by the developers. Most Half Life mods are like that. This is different.

Both are complete garbage.
Anyone who doesn't play backgammon is a fucking retard loser idiot homo asslicker with NO TASTE in games, and one else who disagrees with me is DUMB.

Try this one on for size :^)

Faggotry goes on >>>/somethingawful/

FPS games as a genre are shit with no substance.

NOW i remember this faggot. he brings up some pretty good points in that video but the main problem i had in HL2 were the bullet sponges mixed with god awful gunplay.

It's still a fan mod that most Halo fans have never fucking touched or even know exists you retard. It has no bearing on the overall fanbase, original game, or their qualities.

This.
Speaking for myself, I didn't bother with it mostly because it looked like cancer.

Roland's a queer but his Black video was funny.

Seriously though he's a massive faggot who's balls just dropped and is a huge tryhard.

He's also got a fucked up thing with his eyebrows and he gets triggered if you bring it up.

BOSSES: BARONS OF HELL
CYBERDEMON
SPIDER MASTERMIND
IF ULTIMATE DOOM, A SECOND SPIDER MASTERMIND

MEMORABLE LEVEL: E3M9. IT'S A REMAKE OF E3M1 BUT THE ENDING LEVEL SWITCH IS A FAKEOUT. ONCE YOU PRESS IT, THE ENTIRE LEVEL CHANGES AND YOU GET ATTACKED BY A CYBERDEMON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
E2M2: A BOX MAZE. IT USED VERTICAL SPACE PRETTY WELL.
E2M8: GIANT OPEN SPACE WHERE YOU USE A ROCKET LAUNCHER TO DUEL A BOSS WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER

KILL YOURSELF

All those are shit.
checkmate, fag

dubs confirmed for doom being absolute shit
check em

explain why, casual

its not even 3d
you literally play the whole game with the tab menu, if it showed enemies
quake is miles better

auto aim only works on the Y axis, doom is not a game about aiming as much as it is prioritizing

no geometry distortion because it isn't 3D so why does this matter, or are you just pulling out words you heard once to sound smart, casual

agreed

Both half-life games were amazing. It's just that now younger people can't see how revolutionary hl2 was because now most of it's stuff is common.

nice copypasta

What was revolutionary about it?

what was revolutionary about doom besides being sucking shit so much

sucking all that shit in 2.5d

It's true that the half-life series basically killed Doom/Quake type shooters which is sad but it killed them because of how different it was from them.

WOW I CAN GET KILLED BY A FALLING TABLE NOW THIS REALLY ADDS TO GAMEPLAY 200%
what is halo: ce
what is halo: ce and many games before it
are you talking about hl1 or hl2, if hl2 this is horse shit and if hl1 it ruined the FPS genre forever
that's called quake kiddo
this is not a good thing

tech demo, no benefit to gameplay
gimmicky, didn't really add much to game play but was useful for modders. physics were the best at the time but were noticeably dated in two years.
never got to shine and had its flaws heavily highlighted. most considered the game to be less challenging than the original despite the AI which doesn't really do very much smart things in the first place.
not beneficial to gameplay
game devs had been copying what HL1 "pioneered" since 1998. It wasn't good then, and HL2 just exacerbated the problems of unskippable """""""""""""cut"""""""""" scenes
came out in a post-quake/doom source code world, also not really beneficial to game play.
it was very similar to HL1 which already had its share of imitators. Its pacing is seriously questionable in its direction.

It did. It also allowed games like Garry's mode to be made based on it.
Fucking console kiddy
Both.
Also had a good modding community but never on the level of Sources.
It was. It made half-life 1 less repetitive compared to other shooters because it would be split up into different sections involving combat, platforming, exploring, ect.

I do want you to compare what halo did to hl2 however. things like having a clear divide in healty/armor which emphasized the usefulness of certain weapon types. Integrating vehicles into game play far more seamlessly than hl2, establishing the industry standard for co-op first person shooter game play, having numerous types of enemies and ranks among enemy troops which determine their behavior in combat which not only acts as characterization for the enemy race but also for creating interesting emergent gameplay scenarios. Stealthily beating grunts in a squad, or killing the squad leader elite resulted in some great game play scenarios with repeatable results which is the essence of good game design.

that said, HL2 has no levels as bad as the library, but no levels half as good as the silent cartographer or Halo.

All console shooters are shit. There is literally no exception except metroid because it was barely even a fucking shooter.
Fuck off babies first FPS.

I like Half Life 2 and there is literally nothing any of you can do about it.

You mean regenerating health which was put into the game because of how shit a controller is. Regening health is basically a get out of jail free card because the devs know it will take you a year to actually hit an enemy.
Except serious sam did that before.
You mean like doom?

You're the exact type of normalfag I mentioned in this thread
Go and play Psi-Ops, or Hitman, or Max Payne, or Jurassic Park Trespasser for games that beat HL2 to doing physics shit.

I think you're confusing HL2's AI with FEAR.

Holy shit you're fucking reaching there.

Agreed, unskippable first person cutscenes where characters won't shut the fuck up about a story that retcons the previous games was unique.

Yeah, you can thank the Quake engine for that, which is what Source and GoldSource are built on.

Agreed, a linear tube with dumb as dirt enemies, gimmicky physics puzzles, and characters shooting their mouths off while you Gravgun toilets in their faces that never cause them to react was fucking groundbreaking pacing at the time.

Bullshit!
You contradicted yourself right there buddy.
Define AI

health and armor are treated very differently in halo, and the first halo doesn't have regenerating health.
I said industry standard, not niche PC title. there's a reason there was a generation of attempted halo killers and not serious sam killers.
doom doesn't have enemies working in close collaboration in a squad effort with all the enemies using distinct behavior based on emotional states and loadouts. I like the enemy variety in doom, but halo is a really obvious step up over everything predating it.

Nice argument console kid.

I did, it was a great game and a lot of fun.
Fear didn't have great AI, it had good map design that made the AI seem smart. Half-life 2's AI is better and you can see that in how they react to situations outside of their map in GMOD.
Are you the type of faggot that skips cut scenes on your first play through?
And source modified it a ton.
Objectively false.

It has regenerating "shields" which are the same shit kid

stop this

yes, it did, do you have any other non-arguments

It's amazing how shit Holla Forums's opinons have gotten over just a few years.

Not a single argument there kid.

this is so Holla Forums-core

poast argument

Half-Life is the better game for a few reasons:
Gordon Freeman is better at managing his loads, so he can carry many weapons.
Gordon Freeman is a fucking genius who graduated MIT, and has a degree in theoretical physics. Master Chief is a man who has PTSD from the nightmare that created him.
Half-Life tells you the story before the aliens show up, Halo tells you the story after the aliens are already here. Half-Life lets you have the whole perspective.
The weapons in Half-Life are objectively cooler than any weapon in Halo. Egon, Crossbow, Shotgun, Magnum Pistol, even alien biological weapons. Master Chief gets what? Assault rifles and pistols? Boring. Plasma variants? Also boring. Needler? A little more interesting, still boring.
Half-Life has a million mods for it, including mods to make the game HD, with full fan-made assets. Halo on PC is only barely running today because fans figured out how to make their own servers, otherwise it'd be deader than the goldfish your mom told you was just sleeping in third grade.
Valve made it, and Valve were pretty cool at the time. Microsoft were never cool.

Have fun playing shooters on a controller goy.

Hah, joke's on you, I won't have a wife because I'm socially awkward and don't like meeting new people!

have fun being too incompetent to use both well, casual

double kek.

You literally cannot use a controller well for shooting. You are console trash in denial.

You're right, and it's something HL2 didn't have. If anything HL2's levels made the Combine a cakewalk half the time.
That's not a ringing endorsement of your "superior AI"
Are you the kind of faggot who thinks games are "art" and are meant to tell a story? No wonder you lap up Valve's pretentious retconed trash.
Still not an accomplishment since PC game modding was already massive thanks to Doom, Quake, Unreal, GoldSource and whole host of other engines. Source was just another engine in the pile of modifiable game engines and only got big thanks to the marketing and hype Valve managed to build up for HL2. All Source really is known for is being scalable. It didn't "revolutionize" modding at all, expect maybe for you because it was your first modding experience with PC games.
Yeah, I guess they aren't dumb, but they aren't revolutionary, and certainly not in game.

its not optimal, but if you aren't a casual you'll do just fine with either.

I dare you find video evidence of someone using a controller well in an FPS. I will wait. And by well I mean actually competently the point where they wouldn't lose horribly to someone who was semi decent with a mouse.

What a surprise, I bet that you buy overpriced PS4 moeshit.

Nope. You literally cannot do "fine" with a controller. You are the casual for defending a shitty control scheme.
The best proof of this is the fact that every console shooter from Goldeneye, to halo to COD are so much more dumbed down compared to PC shooters.

Spotted the kiddie who wasn't around for Quake, the Source engine doesn't have many noteworthy mods at all and 99% of them are dead
No, that's called HL1. Quake 1 at least tried to be fun, HL1 tried to be closer to a movie/realistic situation which is retarded and does not work for games
It's a linear campaign shooter you fucking retard, it has no replay value due to this fact and on top of that the level design being the way it is that's designed around slower gameplay instead of more fun gameplay actually does give it less replay value than Doom

You really are retarded.
So do you admit you skip all cutscenes like some type of faggot?
It is since Source modding was even bigger and better than Dooms or Quakes.

meant for

You couldn't be more >>>/reddit/ if you tried.

I literally said both half-life games were amazing.
Learn to read.
Kek. Yeah, it's not like GMod is note worthy and still has an active playerbase to this day just as a single example.
Pacing, learn it.

Holy shit you are retarded and underage.

What about it? It was a remake of a dumbed down game.

Not an argument console kid.
If you play FPS with a controller you shouldn't be on Holla Forums.

I left 4chan to avoid this faggotry.

Do you realize how stupid you sound right now?

So do you admit you play games for a story like some type of liberal arts dropout faggot?

I take back what I said earlier, you don't even play PC games. Congrats on your b8.

Yes, you are. Then again you've been b8ing this whole time.

This is objectively a better style of gameplay but the two weapon system still works well in Halo despite being shit in pretty much any other game
this does not effect gameplay and is entirely subjective
Oh, that's right, I loved that scene where they show the Combine invade by placing the Citadel in Tokyo's Eiffel tower and then the scene where there were striders guarding the UN building after Earth surrendered… oh fucking wait
A sniper pistol and the tons of alien weapons are still a little interesting, and you barely even used alien weapons in HL1 which were substited by boring ass shit like the MP5, revolver, and SPAS.
This does not affect the game, mods are mods and not the HL experience
They were not, HL1 was a glorified tech demo for shekels that ruined the FPS genre immediately and permanently, and this also does not affect gameplay.

You know what does not affect gameplay? Your boring ass opinions.

I left >>>/cuckchan/ to avoid this faggotry.

The AI is objectively better. That proves it. It is good in the game and even good out of the game.
No, but that doesn't mean I hate all cutscenes or skip all story like some retard.
I do. Source modding went further than quake modding ever did.

Solid arguments

You said that both games were amazing, then that HL2 was revolutionary and then went on to tell why something was revolutionary without specifying. Learn to read.
Quake spawned HL too, so fucking what?
shoot thing, solve puzzle, repeat. Infinitely inferior to a game that's solely shooting things but has 100x better gunplay because it's not restricted by the setting, and allows itself to have fun & fast paced gameplay.

Holy shit you are retarded. I thought you were talking about legendary edition. How does a gameplay difficulty mean shit? Halo is still dumbed down shit. Having a harder difficulty mode doesn't make that not true.

You play FPS on a controller which is you admitting you like the taste of cock.

This is a quality argument right here

yeah, because that one example has never been topped. Find me a quake mod on the level of Gmod.

That doesn't mean the modding scene tops it, especially when GMod is its own thing that costs actual money, which means it's either a paid mod or its own game depending on how you look at it

You can't give me any other examples because Source modding is dogshit, especially with the worst map creator of all time.

Let's just stop for a second here. Despite if FEAR, HL, DOOM, SS or whatever are better games.
DEFENDING PLAYING AN FPS ON A CONTROLLER

That was the Anniversary edition of the game, you twit. And, it holds up a Hell of a lot more than your argument about "How good the AI" since I'm talking about an ACTUAL GAME MODE IN THE GAME THAT IS INFAMOUS FOR BEING RIDICULOUSLY AND UNNECESSARILY HARD.

Sure I can. But GMOD was the top.
Kek.

Hard doesn't mean not dumbed down user. You are an idiot. I can take COD and play it on a stupid high difficulty too, that doesn't make it not dumbed down.

Congrats redditor, you have mastered the non-argument.

I'm sorry you're for illiteracy. Once again, this explains when you're another Valvecucks who thinks he's smarter than he really is.

Dude, we get it, Source was your first and only modding experience on PC. No need to reveal how HL2 was your first ever PC game you played.

Exactly, your whole posts have been the same non-arguments while also ignoring other points I made like how the VA and physics are notable for shit.

Nice non-argument yourself there.

Only one person is defending it you fucking spastic

The A.I. has nothing to do with Legendary being hard, Legendary is hard because enemies do like 10x more damage. Stop fooling yourself.

Have fun playing shooters on your controller and paying microsoft $10 every month to do it online.

Yeah but he isn't getting made fun of as much as he should be for it.

None of your arguments mean anything after you admitted you play shooters on a controller.

wew lads. Nice argument to defend that groundbreaking AI, modding, voice acting, and level design of HL2, >>>/reddit/

GMod alone had thousands of different mods. The older versions of Gmod are also free user. Either way the mods in Gmod BTFO every other modding community.
But I can list more mods too
All of these impressive, but GMOD is the best example(s).

Sure thing goy.

It's not. He is literally that fucking retarded. If you just pass off every retard as a baiter then the retards will think there is nothing wrong with their stupidity.

Taken from the Halo wiki on Halo 2's Legendary mode:
Enemies normally have upgraded weapons. For example, Brutes that usually had Brute Plasma Rifles would now carry Carbines and also have the deadly Brute Shot equipped.
halo.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary

That doesn't make the game not dumbed down user.
It is still played with Aim assist, Regenerating health and a controller.

Oh and a 2 weapon limit.

Half Life > Halo:CE > Every other piece of shit game released in either series.

Oh that was actually a joke, then I got up to take a shit. In actuality, I just like Half-Life more because I don't care for the whole WE boring ass Spartan characters, and how they're all niggers because white man is inferior and can't handle the Spartan project.

Characters in Half-Life have something to go by, all the characters in Halo are pretty bland and shallow and their characterization is either "I hate the Covenant!," "We are the covenant exiles!" or "I'm just following orders!" Boring shit that isn't interesting for characterization, as opposed to Black Mesa scientists who are like "fuck, what the hell's going on? FUCK!" and soldiers bullying scientists, and just interesting character stuff.

I like Half-Life more, and there's not much you can do about that, because the only thing Halo had going for it was the awesome theme song, which only plays on one fucking level and in the menus. I can't spend 7 hours in the menus, but Half-Life's music is used appropriately. They only play music when the scene needs it, while Halo is constantly playing fucking music to distract you.

Also Michael Abrash helped make Half-Life, and Michael Abrash kicks ass.

Nice try Valvecuck..

Shit vs Shit with corn in it. Gee I don't know..

Hl2 might not have aged the best but Half-life 1 and Opposing force are better than any console trash shooter ever made. Though that isn't hard to beat since every console trash game (outside of quake on the Dreamcast) requires you to use a controller.

Halo 1 and 2 had a PC release, and I'm bring up actual modes in the game that do not require "another title" or a mod to observe. Also, what was the weapon limit in Half-Life 2? If that final point is what you're going to fuss about, then why don't we also bring up Doom 3 (Outside of the fact that it isn't from either series mentioned in the OP)?

Memer beaner shitskins try to fit in by pretending to be white and "hate all video games" because looking at things critically is a foreign concept to them.

That's funny that your image actually shows why valve was better than microsoft from 2008 and before. Valve even in it's most kike levels were never as bad as microshit. But here you are, defending them and babies first shooter as well.

Half-life never had a weapon limit. Halo did.
Yeah, but it was a console port which means it was still designed with consoles in mind.

Holy shit you're despite for Gabenstein's cock.

No but you are defending playing shooters on a console.

No, that should not be anywhere on the list.

I had it when it was first released and I've also played it recently. The town building, which was its main selling point was trash but there's plenty more about that game that sucked.

Okay, sure that wouldn't be too bad if not for the fact that once you've walked through a single floor, you've seen pretty much everything there is to see in that dungeon, save for some slightly harder enemies later on. Then there's the key that's missing from the non-Jap releases that makes the back room in the final dungeon totally inaccessible. And then after you beat the game, you get a new dungeon with 100 floors not in the Jap version of the game. Allegedly, because they didn't include the key for the back room in the non-Jap version. What the fuck is this retarded bullshit?

Are all trash. Toan is the only one with a workable moveset and will be the only one with a decent weapon by mid to end game. The companions only act as keys to jump over a small ledge or blow some black magic shit away from a door. The absolute worst sections of the game are when you're forced to play a floor as one of the ranged characters.

Probably the only thing in the game I enjoyed, but with such a shit combat system, it's more about getting the stats to make a 1 hit kill weapon, rather than an interesting gameplay mechanic. Maintaining the weapons with repair powder is annoying initially but it's workable once you raise your pouch size and get a stronger weapon.

Stupid ass trash but was never the main point of the game at least. The Mecha-Stone Golem at the end was just dumb as fuck though.

These, clearly were put in the game because of how shit the combat is. What astounds me though, is how shit the actual cutscenes for these are. The animations are stiff and the sound seems to be out of sync in places. They don't turn up that often but I do just think, what is the point of these sections?

I only beat this game fairly recently (about 2 years ago) but it was more so out of thinking, I have to finish this game. I made it up to the Moon on my first playthrough when I just sort of quit and I'd find myself going back trying to complete it, not because I was enjoying it, but because I just felt like I had to finish it for some reason.

Dark Cloud was a tech demo and Holla Forums has shit taste to have that in the top 100.

Although that's nothing compared to some of the other games on that list. Bioshock? Fallout 3? Mass Effect 2? What the fuck was Holla Forums thinking?

Actually, there is 1, maybe 2, consoles that actually are somewhat qualified to play shooters on. The funny bit, however, is that both are by Nintendo, of all companies.

Yeah and shooters were the least popular on those consoles. Somehow kids prefer playing on fucking analog sticks.

2012 is just a shitty interpretation of the inability to resell your games on Steam, and only children equate the two to being the same thing. And for that matter, no other digital distribution model allows resell of your games either, so fuck you.

2014 is the exact opposite of the truth, they made a clarification that Early Access wasn't buying the finished product early for a better price, it was buying the product as it was now for the price it was now, in the hopes that it sees completion. Projects fail, you can't hold people accountable to a project if for some unforeseeable reason the product fails and can never be recovered, such as not legally owning the source code, having their license revoked to use the engine they were using, going bankrupt, someone dying, etc.

And in 2015 they added in a new policy where you can refund early access games while they are early access, which completely makes the 2014 point moot. And 2016, all I can think of is maybe paid mods is relevant, which they quickly refunded any money (but still permanently banned anyone from the steam market who tried to sell things they don't actually own, you know a crime that they COULD have been sued for, but instead all they did was ban them from the market). And they didn't try to do it again, while Bethesda is at it again.

Valve has stated time and again that while USER GENERATED CONTENT (or UGC) is a good thing, and can be used as a good tool to make money, using it wrong, implementing it wrong, or trying to literally rip off your audience will get you fucked up. Valve has been paying their customers for nearly a decade now for making hats for Team Fortress 2. They've been doing the UGC thing for years, and it works, modders getting paid to make mods.

It's not like Bethesda literally destroying their own community of players by telling them they have no community, and doing something to seriously harm their player base.

The only thing that Valve has done that would even be considered remotely wrong .. is that they don't make new games anymore, they're just working on patches for Dota 2 and TF2. And even that might not be true, they might have something in the pipe that they just don't want to talk about. But calling Gabe a kike and comparing him to an actual sand nigger is retarded.

near-aimbot like ai does not equal better ai, quite the opposite actually
this does not equal good ai
this does not equal better ai
once again, none of this equals more impressive artificial intelligence
wow, this explains so much
something they shouldn't be doing in the first place, and?
that doesn't make the game harder but it is cool
more health does not equal better ai, and this is not proven
once again, aimbot ai and grenade spam (like in call of duty) does not equal better and smarter ai
read above
one hit kills =/= difficulty, and certainly doesn't equal better ai
stealth and the element of surprise are basically never options as 'chief
this can result in better ai, i admit
this is not better ai
this is not better ai

basically, they ramped up damage, health, and numbers, which is the exact opposite of better ai, and left it as that. my point is entirely proven.

Hell no
I played cod on both of those and it sucked dicks
The wii's wagglan was far less precise than a regular pad, in fact I played cod4 with the pro controller
The ds was kinda better, but not much more than using a touchpad on a laptop, which is still complete crap compared to a regular pad
Also it didn't help that bot consoles were powered by an hamster, so seeing enemies further than a couple meters away was impossible
Anything not cartoonish and specifically designed for the wii didnt do well

I was never really that interested in the Half Life series, played through it once and enjoyed it but never felt like going back. As for Halo, it gets a lot of shit and has (debatably) caused a lot of undesirable trends in the industry such as the two weapon limit, which makes sense in Halo due to Multiplayer's emphasis on Power Weapons, if you could carry all of them it would be fucking stupid. I say debatably as 2/3 is a logical weapon limit in games that have a more realistic setting anyway, and additionally, many FPS now do not have various unique weapons that fill a specific role, but variants of a relatively small selection of roles. It doesn't really make sense to carry around an LMG, Assault RIfle, SMG, etc all at once when most people will likely want to stick to one of them anyway and their roles aren't as different as the weapons in Quake or Doom.

People also bitch about regenerating health, however I personally can't think of any FPS after Halo with a comparably high TTK that just decided to ape this feature, and it makes sense in Halo. Maps are large and open, the player moves more slowly and MP is more "static" and team focused than Doom or Quake, you don't have completely free run of the map and most of the time the two teams are head to head. As such it doesn't really make sense to have pickups as you'd need them absolutely everywhere. Whereas Doom/Quake MP maps are comparatively small and players are much more mobile, so having to find Armor/Health pickups makes sense. As for how slow it is, considering how heavily vehicles feature in larger maps, the player being unable to outrun them is a sensible feature, even if it's somewhat detrimental to maps with no vehicles. Despite this trickjumps to get around faster still featured prominently in Halo 2 and 3 MP which is more than most modern shooters can tout.

As for a succinct list of nice things about Halo:

I don't think it's the case in all of them but a few of the flood levels have infinite spawns at some points. Consider the entire idea at the end of the game is the Flood are overrunning the installation and you have to blow it the fuck up to stop them it makes sense story wise even if potentially frustrating from a gameplay standpoint. I've not played Halo's SP in ages but the only level I'm sure this happens on is the one where you return to the Covenant ship, 343 Guilty Spark and The Library don't have this issue.

Also I will clarify, the reason that it works for Valve is because:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THOSE FUCKING MODDED ITEMS. THE GAME INCLUDES MOD ITEMS THAT USERS CREATE IN THE LOOT DROP TABLES. EVEN WHEN YOU GET A CRATE, YOU DON'T NEED TO OPEN THE CRATE, YOU CAN SELL IT OR GIVE IT AWAY, BUT YOU WILL STILL GET ITEMS DROPPING ON THEIR OWN, AND ASIDE FROM A FEW EXCLUSIVE ITEMS, EVERYTHING IN THE GAME IS DROPPABLE.

And that's why UGC is not the same as what Bethesda was doing. Bethesda decided "users can now put their mods behind a paywall, and then you have to pay for them." Valve decided "you can either pay for an item, or you can play long enough to get it to drop. Some people prefer to pay to get it that much faster, and that works for them and us. Different strokes to move the world."

It works because NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.

Keep going, I didn't know redditors could be this retarded.

Nobody but the developers can explain exactly how it works, but the AI is legitimately smarter. They try to flank you instead of huddling at the opposite end of the battle, and use vertical spaces if they exist in an effort to literally get the high ground. They dodge-roll or throw back your grenades. Their awareness is enhanced.

And even on Legendary they do not have "aimbot" qualities as you claim, it's still possible to avoid their shots, it's just harder. Halo 4 Legendary was aimbot-tier because 343i is incompetent. 1-3 were not. And higher health and shields is not "bullet sponges" in Halo because there's weapons that ignore the shield entirely or get rid of it in one hit. The health of the highest ranking enemy does not get higher between Easy or Legendary, you just encounter fewer of them on the easier difficulties.

You're a cunt.

You were though. You can't deny it user, we have IDs. You keep spamming reddit as if it doesn't make it instantly obvious that you are new.

Please show me these parts and explain how they make the artificial intelligence smarter

Also, I never said they had aimbot-like aim, I just said that making enemies more accurate does not equal better AI, because it does not make them smarter in any way nor does it take much effort to code compared to other things that actually make them intelligent. On top of that, I don't mean they're bullet sponges, I mean they just ramped up HP values, which also does not make them more intelligent enemies to fight. This is my point.

Your original point in was about how Legendary was hard states that it's because of good A.I., which is not the case as I just said, it's just ramped up HP values, damage, and accuracy, which does NOT equal smarter enemies in any sense of the word.

You're a double nigger.

Just noticed that you didn't make that post, point still stands.

4u

Halo started out better but ended up soiling its past by going the cod route
Now you have most people on Holla Forums saying it was never good

What was the game that started "wub wub"ing all of the music?

Because Halo, while taking inspiration from HL, is clearly more true to its id roots in various ways such as level design and the entire multiplayer style of gameplay, and also cares more about having fun than HL does. Nice job trying to use this as a substitute for having any argument, though.

Nothing. First it was 00's trance, then once dubshit became popular it transitioned to that.

You can still jump into halo and fuck around and have unexpected things happen in the combat.
Half-Life is on rails and the combat is not dynamic.

Just more proof that nobody can take an opinion if it conflicts with their autistic ideology.

Quake's single player was crushed by Duke3D before it even launched. It made Quake's singleplayer seem pathetic in comparison.
Quake had better multiplayer but the lag was unplayable for me on dial-up until quakeworld came out.

why is it for autists so hard to enjoy both things for what they are ?

Go ahead and explain why. As games, it's not really comparing two games of the same genre at that point, because Duke 3D was still the 2.5D sprite-based FPS, and Quake was the first fully polygonal FPS with particle effects. Quake's gameplay was fast and extreme, while Duke's gameplay was moderately paced (and extremely slow with a jetpack) and moderately balanced.

Duke 3D wasn't made to compete with Quake, though, it was made to compete with Doom. As a 2.5DFPS, it did exactly what it was meant to do very well. But even Ken Silverman (who went on to make a fully polygonal version of the Build engine, but too little too fucking late) had to admit that the Quake engine simply did everything better.

That's a great question, and I wonder it myself. I don't see how Game A was necessarily better than Game B, other than for an argument point. I'll play that game, sure, but I don't actually think HL is better than Halo or vice-versa.

I wish I could say it was just an American culture thing, but even that's not true, because even the Japanese have these kinds of arguments. People just naturally have an affinity for one thing or another, and feel the need to compare Skub to anti-Skub to determine whether they think it's better or worse. It's stupid, but that's politics.

It's really a retarded argument. I guess I should hate Doom for making FPS popular which led to COD.

Also just as an aside on a gameplay standpoint…

Duke Nukem 3D is a futuristic 2049 type game, where you fight aliens in hostile space to recover the women of Earth.

Quake was a dark fantasy shooter with some technology where you fight Eldritch abominations in different dimensions to defeat the abomination Shubb-Niggurath the black goat with 1000 young (which made no sense in the context of Quake, but nevermind that).

And Doom was a futuristic first-person shooter on Mars featuring a science complex being overrun by Demons from Hell, caused by the development of portal technology ripping a hole in time and space.

Comparing any of them together is just saying "I like this game's toys better than this game's toys," and that's a dumb reason to argue on whether one or the other is better. They're not even the same type of enemies in any of those games.

Why do underage faggots keep spaming about how Half-life had unscippable cutscenes and this is horrible when FEAR also did but no one brings it up? In fact a lot of the things that apparently make Half-life 2 "shit" to these children are present in FEAR but you don't see it ever brought up.

Because this thread is mostly about Halo vs HL you fucking sperg

probably because hl3 got recently cancelled so it could be a case of the fox and grapes

Well Halo's a casual shooter for console kids so that shouldn't matter. Do these same console kids insult FEAR? Have they ever played FEAR?

Because F.E.A.R. had you strapped into your seat during the cutscenes., literally. Half-Life had you running around.

CK2 is a bloated mess that doesn't deserve to be on any list(unless that list is top 100 bloated messes).

How is that any better? If I am going to be in a cutscene and I have the option between being able to walk around or not I would choose the walking around, especially when it lets me look at interesting stuff like the object teleporter or random characters interacting.

Half-Life 2 is non-canon.

According to yourself, the game has no story because HL1 certainly has nothing for it at all.

If anything that shows that HL2's retcon bullshit cutscenes are boring as shit. Locked cutscenes are bad but it's a testament to how shit HL2s narrative scenes are that players are more willing to throw shit at the wall than listen to dimensional characters rattle off a bunch of techno babble that just means you must go from point A to B and shoot aliens and maybe solve a puzzle.

Because FEAR has things like satisfying weapons, engaging enemy AI, and didn't force you to use its gimmicks.

>>>/reddit/

That's amazing user, I didn't know slightly modifying the havok physics engine was "creating the in-game physics mechanics as a whole". Are you seriously this retarded?

Around/before:
Max Payne, the entire real series. Rockstar's shitty meme attempt isn't an actual MP game.
Chaser

They're dumb as bricks, nigger. Play the first or second game on PC and see how piss-easy it is. The AI is dirt stupid because it's a console game and designed for slow analog stick controls.
Wrong. The only game to do this is STALKER and that's only because the regen is exceptionally slow and you have healing items.
You reek of marketing shill.

Nah, you're retarded mate. It's always had mouselook, just not vertical mouselook. You could always, even in shareware, turn with the mouse. It was just retarded and mapped the forward and back motions to it.

This is the sign of a person that never played the game and is just regurgitating some meme they saw on the internet. Let me guess, you think Far Cry and Crysis, two full-fledged games, are """"""""""""""""""tech demos""""""""""""""""""" too because they have some technological feature in the game?

The same game made 15 times that consists of the same gameplay nuDoom has (walk from arena to arena) does not a good team make.

>>>/oven/

Yep, you are cancer.

Go play some faggot roguelike for the ten thousandth time.

Stick to playing nothing but NES games, kid.

So all this time it was the AI being smart by standing in place, never bothering to move or follow a target around a corner? HL2's AI is 100% scripted, and you're trying to shit on FEAR's by claiming it's the maps.

>>>/bog/

If you and people like you were any more melodramatic about this shit you'd fit right in with the leftist socjus crowd that's having an autistic meltdown because the swede that used to scream about rape said the word nigger once.

They should though. It's canon that they're a species of cowards.

It's definitely a lot better than FEARS plot.
What was Retconned? There were hints to the combine in hl1.

Nice buzzwords but Hl2 had those as well.

Half-Life 1(plus expansions) is the only genuinely good game out of the bunch. Half-Life 2 and the Halo games are mediocre at best. I liked them when I was a kid, but they're not that great looking back.

Why do Valvecucks felate games they never played?

I beg to differ, HL3 would explain it all
but of course it would be the biggest red pill ever
Maybe ill get to play it in heaven

Wrong
Wrong again, they move in and out of cover
Oh wow, 2 or 3 small parts totally breaks the game. It actually helps the pacing of the game. Sorry you have ADD.

How? Crysis was a follow-up to Far Cry, and open-world FPS games were not a new concept back in 2004. Also, I don't remember hearing people complain about either game breaking flow to go "Look at how awesome our physics engine is."

those sections are built to break up gameplay. you may not like it or the game, but that doesn't make it a tech demo. also when were farcry and crysis open world?

Half-Life is Cancer and Halo is AIDS.
TimeSplitters is the only good FPS series of that era.

half life series has 2 good games, half life 1 and opposing force. half life 2 and episodes are gay as fuck.

halo is casual but halo 1 and 3 were pretty fun and Silent Cartographer was more fun than anything in half life 2. At least Valve had the decency to stop beating half life 2 intro the ground like microsoft is doing for halo though so half life 2 can get its undeserved legacy status from redditors

Don't worry. In twenty years none of those games will still be playable.

Yeah, you didn't play the game
Exactly. Parts like Ravenholm fucking blow.
Agreed, especially when combined with the unskippable cutscenes.

This happens way too fucking much. You even start seeing more and more faggots hate on Dues Ex.

Did you watch the videos posted in this thread? They aren't scripted.
You are retarded.
You truly are underage.

They are Satan, sorry your sources are all Valve worshipping cucks.
You've never played an FPS outside of HL2, that much is obvious. And thanks for confirming the pistol is shit too.
Indeed.
You truly are cucked.

Shotguns feel good in almost any game you fuckng retard, if anything this completely disproves your point. The crowbar, pistol, SMG, and AR2 all feel like dogshit.
I've never once seen a soldier take cover in HL2 outside of scripted sequences, the best they do is occasionally run into cover but not actually take cover then walk back outside instead of firing out of cover.

Have you even looked at the HL2 leak? Everything Valve claims to not be scripted literally is fucking scripted, absolutely everything. The most impressive moments of A.I. in HL2 are blatantly scripted, this is not up for debate.

Get fucking filtered kid.

Actually my sources are seeing the AI out of game and playing around with them in Gmod.
Yeah the pistol is shit, it is supposed to be weak compared to the other guns.
It was still good. It was fun finding objects around the map and using those rather than just my guns.
Nice buzzwords faggot. I didn't realize puzzles or platforming are gimmicks.
You are both retarded and autistic. You got it all there champ.

Wow I guess any challenge is a puzzle then. I didn't realize puzzle = bad but I guess for a retard like you it would be.

Jesus christ user please stop

I am looking for an argument but can't find one.

No one will debate you.

Not really, it's all linear shit just more arenas.

Also
2 is better because it's actually a game and not a tech demo :^)

Pretty much, and with the arbiter bit you can fly straight to the point if you know it and skip the combat.

Good to see you post

meant for

Nah, the autistics are the retards who continue making the same thread over and over.

Gordon Freeman is a pretty cool guy, he kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.

Are you sure it's not the manchild with 50+ replies (you) and defending retardation while claiming that playing with shit in garry's mod tells you anything

Descent, and fuck you.

Kek.
You are clearly mad.
It does. It is literally playing with the NPCs of the game.

Half-Life, always and forever!

Half-life left us wanting more, Halo left us wanting less.

Nope, he isn't the one who made 2 threads about half-life 2 on Holla Forums. Probably the same autistic spammer in the pic.

more like

Are you implying the act of shitposting isn't autistic?

Shitposting is usually mildly autistic. Sometimes it can be incredibly autistic though; usually when its for the purpose of ruining a specific thread.

Just ignore the last 2 DLCs and it's not bad.
They fixed the performance.

So, what's the verdict after 278 posts?

A lot of fair criticisms were made against Half Life 2, while the first game was generally regarded as a classic even by Halo fans.
On the other hand, the pc mustard races in this thread only attacked Halo for being a console shooter and for having regenerating health, without bringing specific arguments against the game (they probably didn't even play it) and completely avoiding the fact that health systems are not significant when you are unable to avoid damage because your enemies are all hitscan like in HL2.

I think people hate Halo more for what it represents than the game itself, personaly i have only played the first game and it was alright, but the effects it had over the genere (slower gameplay and regenerating armor/health) were severe, and just a couple of years ago are now starting to see variety on the FPS genere again, but the negative influence of Halo can still be felt to this day.

I think it's shown that mustards are a bunch of autistic children that even console kiddies are smarter than and more capable at forming an argument. Safe to say Halo is better than half-life as a whole.

People trashing HL in favour of halo ITT are actual babies who didn't live through the late 90's and early 2000's internet cafe craze .

There were int. Cafs. In every city, multiple ones on fact, where people would play quake 2, half life DM and counter strike 1.1/ .3 ad nausea.

Halo never achieved the same level of cultural phenom that HL achieved.

For 4 straight years I remember the 3 closest internet cafes being absolutely booked with people playing either HL or it's mods like day of defeat.

Fact of the matter is, not only HL was the healthiest competitive scene for years, it also had the healthiest modding scene (competing and surpassing elder scrolls).

Halo , while being fun, just never got such an autistic craze over it as HL. Period.

Yeah, and COD became huge after Modern Warfare, every kid in every house all over the world was playing it with their friends. I don't really understand what are you trying to say.

Pc fps where already becoming slower late in the 90s and at the same time they were shifting to more realistic settings, Half life is the prime example of that.
All the most popular pc games in the 00s were slower than quake and doom , had limited weapon variety and mostly hitscan enemies.
Medal of Honor, Cod, HL2, Fear, Far Cry, Wolfenstein, Battlefield and CS for multiplayer.
In these games, you really didn't need to switch between different weapons for different situations like you would do in quake and you took damage every time you peeked a corner.
The shift to regenerating health and the 2 weapon limit was just a way to streamline these games and make them more viable for consoles, but the most important changes to the fps formula were made before and were independent from halo in my opinion.

Whats wrong with the first CoD and MoHAA, you massive fucking shitstain?

A franchise becoming cancer later on doesn't make the first entries shit (like mass effect). Kill yourself.

I was just trying to explain to you that popularity doens't make a game better than another, but you clearly lack reading comprehension.
I don't have anything against your precious ww2 shooters.

Too bad literally every popular game was great back then.

Your argument only works in 2005+ so at best Halo is shittier since it released closer to the breaking point of mine craft and the like hitting mainstream.

Holy shit you're a dense motherfucker.

KyS yourself

Frog blast the vent core!

nice autism

HL2 is mediocre, HL1 is not bad, Halo isn't bad either. Doom/Quake beat both by a mile.

Halo was my first encounter with consolitis and I pretty much ignored the whole series after getting hyped about it in 2000 and then getting let down after learning it would be made the XBOX flagship game.

here's the actual video that got my hopes up

Anzeige ist raus!

the shooter was better than the rts would have been.

Bringing up the fact that Halo has shit controls is a real reason why it's shit.
No console FPS is good because all console FPS have horrible controls. I could criticize a lot of other things about halo as well (I played all 3) but the fact that it doesn't even have good controls make the Half-life series better by fucking default. Half-life 1 and 2 being good only helps the argument.

Half-life was liked because it was a good game. Halo was liked because it was the only FPS console kids could really play.

Yet you give none, showing you have no idea what you're talking about and mimic other opinions in this thread like a child

Like this

I left half Chan Holla Forums to avoid stupid console kids, how did they find this place? How are they so butthurt that they made THREE threads?
I bet you halo kids are the same faggot making OverWatch and Titanfall threads too.

Halo has shit controls
It's two weapon limit limits your options
It's regenerating health/shield system is shit (like all regenerating health systems) and mean getting hit doesn't mean anything. This was put in because of the shit controls.
You have to give microshit money to play the game online.
Again, it's only liked because it's the only thing console kids get.

Not with H1 and H2 both are free online

I guess every console game where you control the camera with the right stick is bad for you then.
As far as console shooters go, halo has some of the best button layouts and well implemented aim assist/bullet magnetism without recurring to ads like most modern shooters do.
Forcing you to make a choice isn't bad by default if there's an actual choice to make, compared to other games Halo has a pretty varied arsenal and the ammo isn't infinite so you have to adapt to every situation the best you can.
In some pc shooters like quake and doom switching weapons depending on the situation is a very important aspect, in games like half life the unlimited inventory is mostly unnecessary, the game doesn't encourage you to use different weapons since most of them are interchangable, you just use the most powerful ones when you have ammo and the others when you run out of ammo.
Ok now you're just getting retarded, i could say the same happens in games with health packs because they are always placed after a fight, but hey, i guess only smart kids like you are able to find them in those games.

Notice how none of your argument talks about game mechanics and just covers stupid internet cafe faggotry

That was for PC only. Also Microsoft dared to make GFWL a paid service, but were BTFO when all of the outcrew emerged.

It's amazing reading the rationalization consoles kids make for playing an d opp s with a controller. Get lost kid.

Jesus fucking christ, it's no wonder Holla Forums has gone to shit with retards like you around.

But I play Halo at 120 FPS with a keyboard and mouse

Controlling a Camera in a 3D platformer or action game doesn't require precise controls so it's ok for it to be a bit wonky. On the other hand the core of an FPS is it's aiming so if you can't aim then you failed step 1.
It's better to have the game have you make the choices on the fly. When you have every gun available you have to choose which weapon you have to use for the situation. Having only 2 guns limits your choice.
Not always, for example in Half-life 1 there are long stretches without health. Not only that but health regen allows you to get your health back in a fight just by taking a time out. The game is rewarding you for not playing it. Health regen is a shit mechanic and I can't believe I have to explain this on Holla Forums.

You are so new it hurts.

Holla Forums… has fallen.

kys hipster shit

Retards like you are the cancer killing Holla Forums.

objectively, half life 1 is better than halo 1, but halo 2 is better than half-life 2

It can't end in a tie! GABEN MUST FINISH THIS!

But that's false, especially since Halo 2 is worse than halo 1 and since Halo 2 had the worst level design of all 3 halo games on top of it being a fucking console shooter.