Haven't played this game in over a year. What "difficulty" should I go with, Darkest or Radient?

Haven't played this game in over a year. What "difficulty" should I go with, Darkest or Radient?

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5418906
archive.is/Cfat9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not really difficulty. Darkest is the usual mode, Radiant cuts down on the grinding.

That's why I put in in quotation marks, didn't really have a word for it.
Still, I don't know what mode I should go for. What would you recommend?

Honestly I haven't tried radiant. Cutting on some of the bullshit appeals to me but I also kind of like the slow pace, just not the worst aspects of it. So entirely changing the game to a different format seems like an overkill kind of fix to me.
I'd recommend darkest but modding the files to remove the upper level limit and giving you more basic supplies.

Supplies like?
Trinkets, Hairlooms, Cash?
Also, forgot to ask, is the DLC any good?

Pirate it, its on gog. Get the mod that adds more class colors, and the mods that add the musketeer and give her a unique moveset.

Radiant, darkest is just more tedious. The dlc is ok but don't enter the dlc dungeon until much later and with a team focused on bleeding. Prepare to be croced.

Play it on Bloodmoon/Stygian.
The game is designed to be punishing and managing failure and retreat is one if its key features.

If the game isn't frustrating you and making you feel horrible and like everything is stacked unfairly against you, then you're not really having fun.

I hate the idea of the time limit, I want to defeat every boss and stuff.

Fair enough, then just play on Darkest setting, which is "Normal" mode. You'll have all the time you want, though the game starts to drag in the late game if you don't push yourself to always be on the knife's edge of biting off more than you can chew.
Every single Estate I run that gets into a comfortable and powerful rhythm just gets abandoned because it immediately becomes boring.

But hey you do you, user.

Devs however think that every optimized strat should be nerfed because you're having too much fun >:(

In Darkest Dungeon, any strat that lets you get into a comfortable rhythm with minimal risk should be nerfed. It's not a game about letting the player feel strong and in control - it's a game about making the player feel like they're barely clawing onto a tiny bit of control as every battle threatens to be their last.

absolutely abhorrent

Nothing wrong with paid DLC. What's wrong is paid cosmetics and/or cut content packaged as DLC.

Crimson Court is very clearly an expansion pack created after the base game was complete.

ya fuckin dingus

No need to bother :^)

Does it make the game worse? Please explain.

Nah, Crimson Court is good stuff. It provides a new mechanic to manage (the Curse) which is basically vampirism, and can spread through your roster like crazy. If you're shit, you'll end up having half your roster waste away from lack of the Blood. It's a great mechanic that's massively stressful and makes you keep spinning more plates at once.

The dungeon design of the courtyard is pretty good - they're enormous dungeons (50-100+ rooms each) with no firewood for camping though you can find some in-mission if you're clever. The bosses are somewhat on the easy side, but they're all nicely varied and are fun fights - the first of them will probably wipe you the first time if you don't grasp the mechanic right away.
The Fanatic is a new boss-class enemy that hunts your parties down in missions when you have Cursed party members with you - and he hits like a truck and will demolish any party that isn't set up to take him on. There are cues when he'll be hunting you, so it's not like you have to walk on eggshells or anything, just be ready when the time comes.

I think that's about it. There's new equipment sets, too, that grant extra bonuses with both pieces equipped like diablo loot or whatever, and they're pretty powerful so that's fun to collect, too.
If you're playing DD, it's safe to say you're not a limp-dicked faggot who's afraid of stressful tactical or strategic decision making - so you should have a good time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with paid cosmetics. If somebody wants to drop $5 on some stupid skins that don't affect gameplay, that's their prerogative. It doesn't affect the game or anybody else. Paid DLC is cancer when it gives the buyer an advantage over other players, such as weapons or armor.

That's not DLC, that's p2w

you're not downloading shit, you're just paying to unlock it

Paid cosmetics are a lazy, insulting form of content so the devs can make a cheap buck. Not to mention it breeds the worst sort of pay models and ruins games, especially in multiplayer ones. An unlockable or secret cosmetic is much more satisfying and lighthearted, instead of "haha I PAID for this shit!".

All it makes is forcing people into using even safer strats halting game progression to a crawl. It also increases the influence of rng on a run, which in the context isn't fun. More over it's not the same for every player, while some can easily benefit from safe strats, for others it may be the only way to reasonably progress.
Idea itself doesn't negate or justify negative consequences of blind pursuit for that idea. While there is no perfect chemistry between dynamics of mechanics - the game becomes less fun, more stale and in consequence more shit with each nerf.

anyone have a GOG download for the latest version?

Generally I give myself two stacks of torches and some keys. Any more and you run the risk of gimping your inventory space.
Didn't try the DLC either.

It really doesn't. You need to take bolder strats, not safer ones. I just took down a shambler with a party of all level-0s without any trinkets, by the skin of my teeth - four resolve checks and everyone on death's door with stacked bleeds and blights when I landed the deathblow. This was at the beginning of a quest, too, and I was low on money to boot.

The first safe thing to do would have been to ignore the shambler altar - fuck that, he's got loot I need so he needs to die.
The second safe thing to do would have been to retreat from the quest and quit while I was ahead with my shambler trophies - nah fuck that too, I want to finish the quest and save money on all these provisions. I used the bandages and antivenoms I had, carefully fed people food with an eyedropper until they were all stable at or around 1hp, and then continued the fuck on.
Through the next ~7 battles I managed to bring everyone's hp back up to around half, though there were a few more deaths doors along the way. I completed the quest without a single heart attack and without losing a single hero, which was surprising considering the horrible situation I started in.
The moral of the story is you gotta be aggressive in this game, not careful. Careful/slow play will just get your ass chain-critted into oblivion or mobbed by reinforcements.

I understand your sentiments, and I assume you're the kind of player that likes to feel like they're in control of a situation - but in DD you're never fully in control, and that's what's so great about it. You're wrestling with chaos the entire time, but there are moments of opportunity and you've just gotta seize them.
To your other point - yes this game is based heavily on RNG. You can mitigate a lot of that by stacking buffs/debuffs, using holy water/herbs, and so on, but sometimes you'll still get nutshot by a treebranch smackdown crit for 75 damage through 3 debuffs and your best defensive trinket set. That's just how shit goes, and that's what makes it interesting.
I can't even imagine how boring tactics games would be if you could predict everything accurately. I understand that they feel cheap when the dice don't land in your favor, but their entire purpose is to create unpredictability and they do a fine job of it. I hear the same complaints in X-Com threads - people who can't believe that a 99% shot could ever miss as if rolling 1 out of 100 is as rare as getting struck by lightning.

I dunno. Different tastes, I guess. I like a game that never lets me feel completely at ease, but I can also understand how people would hate it.

You make the mistake of "its either RNG like in darkest dungeon or its no RNG at all".

So…
You threw worthless meat at the meat grinder and it jammed. How is that high risk exactly? Further explanation of "safer" tactical strats is meaningless since there were no stakes: Level 0, no trinkets.
Come on, you aren't that stupid, you can try countering my points with something better.

cry more

Retarded RNG apologists like you make me physically sick. And as the guy below you said, having some amount of RNG doesn't mean you have to have DD tier RNG bullshit.

Yeah, people want to be in control of the situation, you unbearable faggot. Because player skill should determine the outcomes, not pure luck. You even admitted it yourself that you can simply get fucked so hard that player skill is irrelevant.

"Punishing" means RNG will buttfuck your entire carefully prepared squad, and managing failure means constantly grinding and repeating the same dungeons over and over again for dozens of hours to mitigate the RNG fucking you.

ITT: Autists can't handle random elements

You have to have DD-tier RNG in DD…because it's DD, anons. How do you not understand that?
X-Com has X-Com tier RNG. Final Fantasy Tactics has FFT-tier RNG. They're all different, yet casuals like you have a special whine for each of them. If it's not 100% predictable and under your control, you throw a tantrum.
I can understand where you're coming from, but you're just plain wrong.

If the game were unfairly RNG, you wouldn't be able to consistently win campaigns. In reality, DD's RNG and skills are extremely well balanced to be always just on the edge of pure bullshit, with that little golden wiggle-room for you to twist defeat into victory if you're clever and determined enough.

Honestly, the game's strategy layer extends right out to the player - if the player can't handle the stress of always being on the edge of failure, they stop playing and thus lose. If you just stick with it and keep calm, you'll win the vast majority of engagements and campaigns.
Wipes happen, but they happen in every game, and even in DD they're always due to player error.

I wanted to like the game, but the RNG was just too frustrating.

Heard it only gets worse ingame where one random roll will set you back hours of work.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5418906
Here you go, minimal knowledge of slavrunes required.

Oh oh, better hope the devs dont find out what you are doing :^)

If your "carefully prepared" squad wasn't taking an epic "buttfucking" into account before you embarked, then it wasn't actually prepared.
You don't put together something that has good synergies on paper and then pat yourself on the back for being the next Sun Tzu and click Embark, user. You have to start your planning assuming the worst-case scenario and work backwords from that - "Could this party survive if a shambler ambushed it and shuffled it to hell and stacked stuns and blights and bleeds all over its shit?" You'd be surprised how many party compositions can pull through absurdly bad situations.
One of the biggest causes of party wipe is honestly just player morale loss. Keep your chin up, buddy.

I've been playing the game for quite a long time, so I've had pretty much every "trick" i'm using nerfed at one point or another.
You know what the real "trick" is? Adapting.

Is this like a 2D Mordheim?

thank ya kindly.

redneck detected

Are you retarded?

You heard that from an extremely whiny shitter, user. If you plan properly and maintain contingencies, then even losing a pair of maxed out heroes won't really set you back that much.

Make sure you've always got a ton of money saved up - it's tempting to spend it, but it's better to skimp on upgrades as much as possible and build up a huge nestegg, because things do get much more vicious in the late game, and you might find yourself having to retreat several times in a row before you figure out what you're doing wrong and make corrections.
Also make sure you're raising your full roster fairly evenly. The available missions scale with your party level spread, so if you have 50% rank 1s and 50% rank 6s, you'll have the same split of mission ranks available. It makes things simpler if you keep everyone as even as possible, and it also means that losing heroes isn't that much of a setback as you have an entire roster ready to pick up that slack.

There's nothing slow about it, user. Have you played the game? If you sit there healing and buffing over and over without attacking, you're going to get your shit pushed in. Using attacks that have debuffs attached to them is a good way to mitigate RNG without reducing your aggression.
Non-attack abilities should be used very sparingly - every round that you let an enemy attack is another round that could spiral everything out of control. You have to kill as quickly as possible.

You're either havin' a giggle or you're full of shit. The game doesn't give a fuck about synergies or good team composition, because the devs patched out most of that shit. In fact, most everything they patched was to make it so you had to waste more time trying to mitigate the game's bullshit through grinding and preparing backup teams than actually progressing. And even when you have done all of that, there's no guarantee that you can possibly generate enough money to offset the cost of maintaining a dozen different characters when all of them need constant recovery and therapy and upgrading, because the game doesn't let you get enough money through each run of a dungeon and you are more likely to have them all come out crazy and on the verge of a heart attack because your torch dimmed a few too many times.

They took a good idea and then layered in a facebook game philosophy that says "you must grind this many hours before you will maybe be allowed to proceed" and it makes the game miserable.

So, you've never heard of antiquarians and have no idea what they're for, and you also don't do full-darkness runs.
Got it.

If you play without being a total pussy, you'd know that you can make 50-70 thousand gold in a single run with an antiquarian and 0 torches.

Yes. The only downside to healing and buffing is that after set amount of turns you are going to get enemy reinforcements. Which doesn't mean that you should deal with everything as quickly as possible, it just means that you have a set amount of turns to heal.
Now if I find myself fucked with an expensive team, rational thing to do would be to bail out and not throw my highly valuable team into a guaranteed demise. Meaning that I'd be forced to wait several days to retry the dungeon. And if there is no safe strat for completing the dungeon reliably(harder ones to be precise), then it just means that I'd have more and more days to wait until I get a roll where I wouldn't have to retreat.

Now if we were to take your strategy, it would mean that I'd have to regrind my party from level-0 to get another chance of throwing them at the meat grinder. "But wait" - you say - "there are town upgrades that let you start from higher levels with better equipment". And that's entirely my point. Until you have high enough town upgrades you can't just risk and hope that it'll work, which means that until you acquire enough wealth in middle tier dungeons(which takes forever by the way) you are pretty much stuck in the limbo of safe strats. Sure, one could lose a temper and try risking tens of hours of progress, but why any reasonable person would do this. So unless you don't get fucked with rng you are left dissatisfied in one case because you've lost a ton of progress and can't be bothered to regrind it or you get bored to death with midgame grinding that leads to even more irritation further on.

Why do you only have one party, user?
Are you seriously so lacking in foresight that you only level up 4 heroes?

You are retarded, noted.
Because in any particular dangerous situation only one party can bail out of a particular dungeon. Whatever I have one party or more, it doesn't change the fact that at the end it all revolves around either rolling for rng and wasting time or wasting time and wasting time.

If you have to bail out, it's because you did something idiotic. You can cry RNG all you want, but your failures are your own - so own them.
If you retreat and sacrifice your man-at-arms - grab one of your other maxxed out man-at-arms and try again. You should have a completely full maxxed out roster of heroes by the time you're trundling into DD2 and beyond, and if you don't then we're again back to you having shitty foresight.

That comment implies that there are reliable safe strats that you are arguing against.
Meaning that you'd have to regrind another man-at-arms from level-0 to have another spare one unless you've farmed enough to upgrade the facilities. And if you are out of spares your high end exploration party is either locked into waiting or your irritation forces you to make an idiotic decision of rolling the dice in an unsafe strat.

There are no reliable safe strats, but there is reliable good judgement. You can't just come up with a single formula and expect it to work in every scenario. Adapt to situations as they change and your gameplay will improve, I promise.

It doesn't take long to max all of the facilities, user. It doesn't take long to be filthy rich, either.
Are you an impatient person playing a turn-based strategy/tactics game, by any chance?

This whole "DD RNG supporter versus "DD RNG non supporter" sounds like a hardcore masochist trying to convince other people that if they don't enjoy getting flogged in the balls with a cat of nine tails, they're pussies who can't plan to deal with the resulting pain and injuries, and that getting your dick pleasured normally is far less enjoyable than said ball flogging. Luckily, there are mods on the Nexus which undo many of the nerfs or reduce the amount of bullshit you have to put up with in game.

Just as with Bethesda games, mods will fix it and make the unfun actually fun.

I've not nothing against casuals, user. I know who you are, and you know who you are, and that's fine as long as you keep to your own.
Just like homosexuals.

Situation based safe strat or general safe strat - it doesn't matter, it is still a safe strat.
Give me us an approximation in hours.

Somewhere in the ballpark of 15 hours, around the same time your roster will all be hitting level 6 and all of the non-DD bosses will be dead.
It's keenly balanced to dovetail neatly at the end.

It figures the hardcore masochist is a degenerate who wants homosexuals to continue proliferating and secretly spreading their agenda.

I don't see you out there gassing them, user. All talk, just like a liberal.

I call bullshit. I'm at 34 hours and am only about halfway for equipment/skills/recruitment. And I pretty much didn't waste any resources.

What do you guys think about this?

archive.is/Cfat9

Hey, I'm fighting to contain them on this board by ruining and derailing their threads that promote shitty game design to try and drive genuine video game enthusiasts out of the hobby like "Devs purposely ruining player-developed strategies that were within the confines of the game purely because they enjoy seeing others in pain". By mocking those kinds of people and driving up the post count of their threads it means that less people will be likely to be influenced by their shitacular viewpoint and some manner of the game industry could be salvaged as a result

It's okay though, because you can just manage this setback and I assume you've planned for the worst-case scenario and can work backwards from that :^)

But how would you prove that you are always in the right and that your internet vigilantism is justified?

That this doesn't belong in this thread and should be taken down.
Fuck off, if you don't know how to stay on topic you should just stay at >>>Holla Forums

Niggers, the RNG is not even that bad. It's all about management, if someone has weakness in certain area don't bring them there. Have more than one team, there's a lot of synergies that work the only shit that got nerfed were straight up "I win" combos that made the game trivial.

However, I do agree that it is bullshit the grinding EVEN with an antiquarian. It's way too high.
Sure I like to try combination of characters and play tons of games with iron man mode, but when I am stuck on upgrades and have to do runs and runs and runs just to get money it gets tiresome.

Leveling a character from 3 to Max is not slow its actually fast, but its tiresome finding a party for that "character replacement" since the higher levels wont go to lower level areas except if an event is on.

I have not tried Radiant or anything, I only played the game when the Antiquarian was new and stopped playing after finishing it twice with only two deaths on the first run and one in the last one.

This kind of dumb shit and the dev purposefully removing any really unusual and cheesy strategies is why I can't suggest this to others