"Why are we still facing these problems"

What sort of bullshit things that have been solved long ago but we still have to fucking deal with

I understand map design cant always be 100% bug free but why kill the fucking player for it?

alternatively

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/1URaR4l
don't
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Warping back to the previous coordinate could possibly be abused to reach places you're not supposed to. It's easier and more bug-free to just kill the player.

It's more about which option is more safe. The goal is to not make it possible for the player to fall of the map in the first place. Killing the player discourages them to try to get off the map whereas your warping system would encourage people to abuse it.

I feel like generally you don't want to discourage it that much so you can just find out where the spots are sooner, but eh

Yeah, but it's just that the warping would only cause more problems. I mean, if the map has flaws then the coordinate system would definitely have flaws as well and in the worst case scenario the player could end up in an endless loop in which he falls off the map, warps back to map but to a buggy location and falls off the map again and gets warped back to the buggy coordinate again and again and again.

Killing the player doesn't require any programming basically whereas the warping system would need testing and bug fixes and you really don't want to waste time on such nonsense.

This is extremely common for menu controls. Almost every PC port has the shittiest menu controls imaginable.

I think MGSV was the only port I've played that had a really good PC layout.

Black Desert has indefinitely suspended reloadui commands because people found out how to speed hack with it. They're also about to remove the reconnect grace period when players figure out they can firewall their packets and build a queue of attacks on structures and then disable firewall for a literal omae wa shinderu moment.

Also invisible walls, fuck them if they're not linear. Fucking jaggy ass invisible walls on top of climbable terrain

As a level designer, maps can be 100% bug free. If the level designers aren't utterly fucking worthless double-digit subhumans, then their maps shouldn't have locations where the player gets stuck on gets glitched out.

However - randomly falling outside the map is NOT the level designer's fault. It's usually some kind of animation that got triggered bellow the terrain. Or something like that. Ask a coder tbh. They probably know more.

This isn't the fucking NES era anymore, consoles are just overpriced computers. At least embrace it and let me run my games well.

Most games have terrible UI design, paticularly from an aesthetic standpoint. Even worse that they will either be devoid of some piece of useful info or will clog the view with worthless stuff or wasted empty space.

More often than not, ground clip-throughs are caused by desync on a map.

Scenarios can be:

There are several ways to fix this though.

t. coder

How about this:

This isn't even a time or technology thing either. Games went from having items be picked up automatically, to shit like Crysis simply because people thought it looked cool in a trailer.

I agree with all of these except the saving one, merely in principle. I dislike choices being taken away from players generally so even when it's making the game harder I would prefer people be able to choose those things themselves. Devs tend too often towards assuming they know whats best and carving stuff out (and getting it wrong) so more options is better on the whole

Basic graphics. No game on god's green earth should be allowed to be sub 60, yet most games on console are, and many on PC are of you aren't using an incredible computer to run them.

Not capping the god damn fps on the god damn menus. I'm sick of hearing coil whine because the faggot fucking menu screen and cutscenes and loading screens are all running at 5000fps.

In the year of our Lord 2017 we still have games with shit pathfinding.

Hair clipping on 3d models

There needs to be more creative barriers, fuck the shit that looks like you can go past but the devs got lazy and just put a wall there.

Seriously, when are MMORPGs going to get better combat systems? Here's a list of other games MMORPG combat should have aped by now:
Dragon's Dogma
Monster Hunter
Dark Souls
Nier Automata
I just want an MMORPG with a combat system that actually has some meat to it instead of this bullshit where you play out an animation and then some number pops out. Where character's never flinch unless the attack is supposed to put you in some kind of stunned/paralyzed state.

Do you also oppose having multiple difficulty settings instead of one fixed setting made by the dev? After all, some people would finish the game on Easy.
And console commands can let people cheat their way to godhood, so maybe those should be removed too.
Mod support might need to go as well; think how much potential there is for trivializing the game there.

Why does it matter if it's possible to cheese in a single player game? Just choose not to. Unlike e.g. quest markers I don't really see how devs could build the game to make it a genuine problem not to quicksave over-frequently, at least not without unavoidable bullshit insta-kills and such which just make it a trash game regardless, and even if they did it would be no different from them setting the cadence of save checkpoints in the first place.
I don't see the point of limiting your own freedom just because you're scared of the temptation it brings. Just exercise some self control.

I know the thread is more about bullshit bugs that still appear in games. But clearly the fact that every MMO is just WOW 2.0 tells me that there's some kind of limitation keeping them making a different kind of MMO

There is nothing holding them back besides their own laziness. When MMO developers whine about how hard implementing something is, you need to scream in their face "THEN WHY ARE YOU WORKING ON A MMO?". There's no excuse. If you chose to work on the most expensive and time consuming genre there is, then you should learn to deal with the consequences and quit halfassing everything.

These

not him but I do, with multiple difficulties they always make easy literally brainded for people who want it, normal is easy mode because if people wanted a challenge they would play on hard right? and then hard is just the same but enemies take 30 times more attacks and hit harder
so basically because there are multiple modes all the modes are shit
oh and I hope you like beating the game 6 times before playing the REAL game and being allowed to have fun

There is no way in hell that a dev that does that kind of shit would be able to balance a single difficulty setting any better than the multiple ones. You would just be stuck with the babby tier easy mode, or if you are lucky just the normal-easy mode.

Since I've been playing a bunch of Dark Souls lately:

STORED INPUTS

Sure, 9/10 times it doesn't affect me, but that one time I get hit an extra time because my previous (but failed) dodge attempt is stored, it executes that as soon as possible. It wouldn't be an issue except that this has been a problem with the Souls games from the start. So many other action games do not do this, yet these fucks see no problem with leaving it in. Either it is laziness or some misguided attempt at making players more conscious of their inputs and to have a tougher choices and consequences system play out in combat.

While we are at, why do devs still tie framerate to shit.

I remember some shitty indie platformer doing this for jumping and if you pressed the button to much the game would completely fuck up and launch you into the ground.

Almost every single action game and fighting game has input buffering. The only difference is that the souls series buffer is way too large.

Poverty :^)

Holla Forums existing and still making shit memes

youre not wrong

Fucking brilliant

How do you reconcile these two statements?

Shoo shoo breadless jew

how does it immediately attract so many responses

Cause everyone who goes to political boards here is a fucking retard

That's entirely up to the developer. What matters most is facing the challenges the way they're intended, as there's usually a difficulty setting which is the way the game is meant to be played (that one usually being the hardest or the one beneath it), or no difficulty setting at all. Alternatively the developers can throw at us a bunch of challenges and give us complete freedom on how to tackle it with no particular playstyle in mind, there the fun comes from figuring out creative solutions to complex problems. But the latter is not a catch-all excuse. Deus Ex and Dishonored would fall both under that category, but Deus Ex executes it better by virtue of having the guts to actually kill you. In Dishonored the guards are blatantly inept at being able to even shoot you, and on top of that you're given tons of OP abilities such as teleport, possession, and fucking timestop with tons of health and mana potions at once. Arkane must've forgotten that creativity is stimulated by not allowing the simple brute-force solutions like simply walking up to a guard and shooting him in the face alongside all the other ten nearby alerted guards, doing that shit in Deus Ex gets you killed rather easily unless you actually specced into weapon skills.

I digress. To put it simply, I hate the idea of needing to impose limitations on yourself in order to get the most out of the game. And I'm not talking about just saves either. There are plenty of games out there which may give you tons of recovery items which you may use as much as necessary with no real penalty as potions are plentiful, and the challenge is nullified if you do, despite the existence of difficulty settings. You are given no boundaries, no limits on how much you can carry, and no rating system or such telling you you are a scrub for spamming potions. I'm looking at you, Automata. The idea that you can master and push a game to its absolute limits unless you use the readily available OP combo/strategy/weapon which breaks the game, is laughable. As if you need to show some mercy to the game in order to be able to truly enjoy it. One way of fixing this is through some kind of rating or scoring system which rewards creative play where you use your given skillset to its fullest and are thus encouraged to git gud, whereas using healing items nets you a score penalty which although abstract, does send the message that you suck for doing so. Do you want the player to go fast? Rate them on completion time. Do you want the player to not use healing items at all? Rate them on damage taken. Do you want the player to look cuhrazy? Rate them on style.

Now I can limit myself just fine, for old-school shooters I restart the level on death, for arcade games I always aim for the 1cc, and I try to never use healing items. The problem is that others do not necessarily do the same, instead opting for cheesing tactics which completely go against the idea of the game. Recently I talked to someone who said Doom is trivial because you can bottleneck all enemies through one hallway or around a corner after retreating immediately from a new room because they will slowly chase you as you pick them off one by one as if it was Serious Sam, or how someone said he S-ranked all of MGR on Revengeance difficulty by using the fucking Fox Blade, or how Vanquish is just a run-of-the-mill cover shooter, and I have to deal with their whining of how the difficulty for those games is a joke because they used a cheesing strategy. And after I tell them to NOT cheese the game, they bring up the genuine question of why it's even possible to cheese the game in the first place, and why the game itself isn't punishing you for it.

That's why I prefer handing over my freedom to the developers when it comes to these matters, I'd rather know in what boundaries I can operate and exert my skills to the max without fear of breaking the game. I can tolerate breaking the game in games like RPGs where you can be blatantly OP and have the world respond appropriately to it, but when you have to hold back on using cool abilities and weapons because the designers couldn't figure out a way to challenge you in that aspect, I think the usage of those items and abilities should be reconsidered. Fun should be earned, games should actively discourage players from using cheese tactics and strategies which let them win easily without putting in an ounce of effort or skill.

Reported.

What others do in a single player game is a complete nonissue. What does it matter if someone else plays Doom "wrong"? This is literally "stop liking what I don't like" tier.

It may be a non-issue to other players, but not necessarily to developers who find that the challenges they put so much thought in were completely nullified as the result of some minor design oversight. The idea is that there shouldn't be a way of playing a game 'wrong' to begin with, not without the game either telling you you are playing the game wrong and that you should git gud by giving you a shit rank, or the game fucking you over with a game over if you try to do cheese, like how in one of the Crash games there used to be a boss which you could cheese by abusing a safe spot if you stood in the corner of the arena, but if you try to do the same shit in the remake the crowd will boo at you and throw stuff at you. It's different when the unexpected playstyle generates more fun out of itself, but I'm talking about instances where the player only ever uses the safest yet time-consuming strategies and then calls the game boring. Why not play the game on an easier difficulty if you have such a hard time trying to execute high-level playstyles?

What's important is getting your message across to the player, through subtle visual aids or mechanics whose existence should imply certain ideas on their own, like in Alien Soldier where you have an ability which lets you dash into enemies and deal supermassive damage, but you can only do it when your health is full and performing the maneuver takes away 1% of your health, so you should use the parry move to cancel projectiles into bullets and regain health so you can use the dash again. Just leaving the boundaries up to the player in games that aren't sandboxes screams 'we didn't really know what to do with this'. It's why a game like Hitman which has limited quicksaves per level, the amount depending on the difficulty, shows more thought behind its saving system than Max Payne where the saving ethics are left completely to the player., instead of turning it into an innovative mechanic where the act of saving can be a part of the gameplay itself through incorporating save points into your routes or tying other means of restoration to saving your game. It's like developers reusing the cover shooter formula for no reason other than that 'it works' and 'it sells' without trying to design their game from the ground up and let their creativity run loose, and is IMO a massive cop-out that is only tolerated because so many games are doing it.

If you can make such a statement that means you go to them as well

Retard

What kind of retarded assessment is that? I don't go there because they are ducking cesspits, and it shows here just as much.

I know that feel.

THIS WAS SOLVED IN THE FUCKING 80'S
DATA COMPRESSION TECHNIQUES ARE BETTER TODAY THAN EVER BEFORE, GAMES THAT ARE CURRENTLY 40+GB CAN EASILY BE CRAMMED DOWN TO LESS THAN 1/20TH THAT SIZE
MOUSE ACCELERATION WAS DEVELOPED FOR ~100DPI ANCIENT PIECES OF SHIT THAT WERE CONSIDERED BAD EVEN FOR THE TIME, EVEN A 4$ MOUSE FROM WALMART NOWADAYS DOESN'T NEED THIS SHIT ANYMORE, FUCK OFF AND STOP MAKING IT MANDATORY
I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE
LITERAL CANCER IN PROGRAMMING FORM
and my personal favorite
EVEN FUCKING POKEMON GOLD/SILVER HAD SAVE REDUNDANCIES TO PREVENT THIS, IF YOU'RE SO FUCKING DEAD SET ON LIMITING THE PLAYER TO A SINGLE SAVE FILE THEN HAVE ROTATING BACKUPS YOU FUCKING NIMRODS

Tera Online did combat better. The laziness comes from companies hoping to get players hooked on their skinner box.

I'd say that the jewish question is a bullshit problem that was solved long ago, but we still have to keep dealing with

Bonus
One of them is Kirby Air Ride

Aion also did combat better but that game had other issues nexon for example

Unless you fake it by having an identical room behind the mirror, mirrors are hard as fuck and only get harder as visual detail goes up.

yes but the final solution has never been implemented

also happy anniversary of lucky larry laughing israelis and other pure coincidences

>using DRM to punish purchasers with rootkits just try removing secuROM from your system, even formats don't remove it while pirates get around it

No, self-control is bad because faggots on Holla Forums say so, games have to be restricted and retarded to shit levels because Johnny Dicksucker doesn't like being able to save or use a strong weapon and doesn't want anyone else to ever be able to either.

Whatever value your post may have had is negated by your normalfag meme image with an imgur/reddit filename.

Dude, I made that file name by bashing random keys on my keyboard. It's from a live stream with a serbian dude fucking around with prebake animation software

Why would you go on the internet and tell lies?

Nigger what the fuck do I have to gain about lying where I have my shitty reaction images from on a random ass image board that doesn't even have persistent userIDs?

imgur.com/1URaR4l

My point still stands, developers are aids for not bothering to implement even simple reflections

Aion was an NCsoft title.

your jewish tricks wont fly here, kike

Mirrors were free on old portal-based engines. On modern engines you'd need to render the scene twice. People liked pretty lighting more than they did seeing themselves in a mirror and so here we are.

So why did you lie then?

I remembered the stream it was from more than the actual website I used to redownload it later. Sue me.

I fucked up, dont know why I thought of nexon. The game was severely mismaneged though.

But why would you WANT that image, as it's an unimaginative facebook meme?

MMORPG players don't want interesting combat. They want boring autoplay. I've even had friends at work who still play WoW say that the boredom is soothing.

Because serbians make me laugh. Faggot.

All of your dumb bitching would've been avoided if instead of lying and being a faggot you just posted "Fuck you I like this image"
You've got a lot of lurking to do, nigger

Not being ridiculed by the rest of us for being a faggot? You should have just come clean. Throwing in "nigger" doesn't make you seem like you fit in.
Just stop son, you're making a fool of yourself.

I'll stop when I want to stop

With a bullet.

Yeah it was. I actually liked how they tried making hotkey combat more involved.

someone needs to repost that comparison thing of TF2 1.0 vs TF2 current year garbage

spoiler: it's basically those gifs

Fight me cunt

user we both know you'd lose.
Let's do it anyway.
When I beat you I'm gonna fist your butt.

This one?

Everyone can see what shit you are trying to pull here

Autoplay or simple combat isnt inherently bad.
Runescape has simple combat yet it's popular because the fun comes from other aspects of the MMO while games like TERA have interesting and fun combat but the game itself is a fucking shitty Korean grindan.
I do agree with the 3rd-person tab-target combat though, never been a huge fan of it and it only seems to get more boring the more "complex" it gets as in you start having shitloads of different skills to use.
Also:

Get me a danish knaive

With a bullet.

don't use link shorteners/8ZAS

Fuck

Reported.

MMOs in general tend to feel fucking weightless, So much that there's a particular "MMO" feel you can recognize. I don't know why everything has to feel like you're just gliding around and sitting through canned animations. Wouldn't you want to make those things more satisfying because of how often you're going to be doing it? Hell, they even seem to have their own specific kind of running animation: the character strides with no real sense of purpose in their body language, like they're moving just to move.

NOW WHO IT IS THAT IS IN NECESSITY OF LURKING MORE, IT IS YOU

go away spook

Static lighting has its place. Good-looking dynamic lighting is expensive and if your lightsources aren't moving or getting toggled off and on, prebaked global illumination is the way to go.
Needs to be done properly or else it either looks ridiculous or fucks with fluid movement.

Ok

This. Being able to rebind controls should be standard everywhere by now, even on consoles. But it's actually fairly rare even on PC

you are the non-Holla Forums faggot, user

I do this when i play some Thief 2 missions, you can literally K.O every single NPC in the map with little effort and then the game becomes piss easy, taking the hide/stealth play away in general. I just try to use the blackjack on really specific places and ghost my way through.

I don't know how anyone deals with this without reassigning keys. I constantly trigger dodges accidentally. Same shit when Minecraft added it.

70% of Landmass =! 70% of the population.

If only it were still the case

you need to know when to hold em and when to fold em. and digging in your heels and pretending to be even more retarded is not the way to go

>yfw there is a Monster Hunter MMO Even though it's developed by tencent of all fucking things
Everytime I see a WoW-esque hotbar in "New" MMO: Flavor of the Month, Not pay to win this time, we promise! (heh)" I think my world gets a little bit darker. Not even getting into all the other problems that MMO's suffer from.

A: Learn grammar. B: Have a better version of that picture.

believe me, it's nothing like monster hunter.
As someone who VPN'd in to play it, it's like a shitty dragon's dogma ripoff had sex with the monster hunter team and ended up with area wide 1 hit kill attacks, cash shops, and other useless shit.

FUCKING CHINKS

oh god I didn't even mention the tonfa weapon, which can block, fly, kill god with one punch, and give you a blowjob at the same time.
It breaks every monster's AI so bad that they area wide 1hit KOs are the only attacks that can reliably hit a tonfa user

yeah, there's a reason it's not anywhere but china. It's an awful awful game that is so shameless of a cash grab even capcom wants to disown it. Funnily enough it uses the same engine as Dragon's Dogma Online, same assets too, it's another shameless cash grab that should never exist

God I can smell the smug sense of superiority from here. You're just choosing to ignore 99% of difficulty settings saying normal is the baseline to achieve superiority on an imageboard.
Reminds me of that one cunt who bitched he couldn't get through the first aerial phase of nier automata because he selected the highest difficulty setting and was practically imploring the thread to sanction him going to the second hardest so he could get to play the damn game.

Killing the player is not intentional, retard.
They don't come up with countermeasures for it because it's not supposed to happen. If you find a place that makes you fall off the map, it's a bug that should be fixed so it doesn't happen.

That one I can get behind because those are quite more common. Falling off the map I haven't seen very often except really shitty games.

MMOs use a system very close to Real-Time With Pause seen in traditional RPGs because it works well in an environment where lag is often a concern and where characters and abilities are based off of traditional RPGs in any case.

I havent played it but you're referring to chivalry right

yes

I recall there was a game that detected when you got stuck and warped you to a nearby location… Postal 2, maybe?

(heiled)
Worse, when there is NO barrier, but you try to go that way and [alarm sound] [GO BACK TO THE COMBAT ZONE]

The best solution I've seen yet.

That'd be nice, wouldn't it

You completely misunderstood him, he's saying the game has been DESIGNED around that difficulty. And designing a game around the hardest difficulty is a good thing because you can just tone it down for lower difficulties instead of adding lazy bullshit for harder difficulties.

p2p is completely fine as long as long as the game is 1v1.

Halo 3 in a nutshell. BXR/doubleshot and superbouncing from Halo 2 made the game so much better. But Bungie took them out because of shitters complaining that they were game breaking. Really only superbouncing could be game breaking, but there was still no reason for disabling them in custom games

Your editing skills are weak

Oh and yes

They still are as shit as wow clones because all you do is collect bear asses and endlessly grind the gear treadmill.