We live in a day and age where views like this are no longer the popular opinion

We live in a day and age where views like this are no longer the popular opinion.
This is a comment in response to an article asking if we should have had an Xbone X, or Microsoft investing money into actual software exclusives instead.

Is console gaming going to fall into further decline, where instead of having actual games companies invest in more powerful variants of their consoles because people think the only games that matter nowadays are third party?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20010118210700/http://www.euronics.co.uk/
web.archive.org/web/20000609021837/http://www.game.co.uk/
archive.is/DUo6G
steamcharts.com/app/570
a.pomf.cat/socacr.ico
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's better for the industry over all for games to not be held hostage. It's worse for console players if they don't get placed first on their little pedestal, sure, but they're getting scammed anyway, so whatever.

I wouldn't buy a console to play exclusives. I can understand Nintendo consoles or arcades because they tend to have weird controls, and reasonably the games have to be designed for the specialized hardware.
But Xbox and Playstation feel generic, and the games made for them can be played on any other hardware technically.

The Xbox X and the PS4 Pro were inevitable though. Neither of those systems were ready to handle even Medium-low settings at 900p.

Microsoft is looking at the wider picture, seeing PC gaming as a major market now and they're aiming to provide games to both markets. It seems like they're shooting the Xbox in the foot, but they aren't really. The Console market and PC gaming markets have a level of crossover, but the wider market just want an easy to setup box that doesn't really require much in the way of setup.

I think the PC/Xbox crossbuy and play stuff is a smart move. Microsoft is expanding their market, while Sony languishes with exclusives that are really pisspoor compared to their multiplat analogs.

v^muh exclusives
Ok I'll give you a chance. Name me a SINGLE reason why having a game exclusive to specific hardware is a good thing. Pro tip: you can't.
not an argument

Eat shit and die.

And with one sentence you've completely discredited anything you could ever say. Go back to cuckchan and rope yourself on your way there.

Aren't you yourself from cuckchan my newfriend?

Because they wouldn't exist otherwise. Studios and franchises aren't funded and created out of the kindness of hearts, they're created BECAUSE of competition.
Competition is good because companies create studios, and fund new projects to push console sales. If consoles die off entirely, these exclusive games won't just suddenly become available on PC - they'll cease to exist… With no major corporation backing new projects and studios since there is now less agenda to.

Exclusives are hilariously outmatched in sales these days, they hardly move systems. The only exception is Nintendo, where their audience will buy Nintendo and ONLY Nintendo, even when it's terrible (i.e. most of the Wii U library).

Not to mention company backed exclusives are little more than AAA cinematic tripe anyway.

Exclusives do not need to sell well individually to be a success, instead they can be used as a push to sell systems. By having a large amount of exclusives available, especially those that people would consider "system sellers" there's a wider interest in the system and more reason to pick it up over the rival system.
With this, the company can make profits from its online services, digital and physical software licensing fees and encourage its users to stay within its ecosystem for further turnaround in a new generation.

Do you not understand basic business? Individual sales are not everything.

The average consumer could not care less about the latest cinematic experience, he wants to play what's his friends are playing and his friends are all playing the 3rd party multiplat of the month. The industry hasn't realized it yet, but performance alone means more than exclusives today.

They're a blight upon the face of the earth.
Yes it was all fine up until mid-late gen 7 at which point it all went downhill.

I've begun to think that Nintendo really should not have existed. Without them, the crash would have caused video games to die when they were still good and when the only audience was kids.

They're pretty much dead in the water already. People are already speculating on whether Sony and MS will even bother with a PS5 and XBox Two, or will just string out their current consoles for as long as they can, with a few incremental upgrades, and then throw in the sponge.

PS4 and Switch are actually doing fairly well in the exclusives department, I mean they're no PS2, but it could definitely be worse.
It's really just the Xbox that is a completely worthless piece of tech.

The worst thing is that once these xboxes go into massive discount because nobody wants them we probably won't even be able to homebrew them into small gaming PCs because who even gives a fuck about homebrewing Xboxes. What a waste of tech

Multiplat games can't be optimized for a single platform, so they never get the most out of the hardware. A multiplat will always look worse, and more importantly, run worse than an exclusive.

Incorrect. It's better for the consumer (in the short term) for games to not be held hostage, but exclusives are vital for consoles to distinguish themselves in the market and to give customers a reason to buy them. This increases competition between platforms, which is better for the health of the industry.

In the big picture, exclusives are better for the consumer, because companies actually have to compete and try a bit harder for the customers dollar. You lose the immediate benefit of playing whatever you want, but you gain long-term contingent benefits in the form of lower prices, more hardware/software features, more diverse game catalogs, etc.

The market needs more competition, not less, and by removing exclusives - you basically remove any reason for consumers to buy your product over the competition. It hasn't worked out well for Microsoft so far, and Sony has been too comfortable in their lead - dictating on behalf of their customers what features are wanted, and what services should be supported. They're becoming increasingly anti-consumer.

The Switch isn't going to help much, since Nintendo have long since rebranded themselves as a side-cart console in order to stay relevant. PC is the closest Sony has in terms of real competition, but you'll never get the chads and the stupids to switch over.

I'd like to see the industry go back to having four or more major contenders, each with their own stable of exclusives and each of them fighting to outperform the other in terms of features and services.

It's not even popular opinion here. People regularly settle with shittier experiences likely due to financial reasons and justify it with philosophical or practical ones. They rarely want the best experience and often settle with an obtuse level of compromise and insist they are getting the best.

People actually convince themselves there's no new games that are good to justify it. It's hilarious and sad.

If the only reason people are buying your DRM box is because you're holding games hostage behind a hardware paywall then your hardware is not worth buying to begin with.

PC has exclusives in this day and age that are worth playing?

I miss the days of fully-documented hardware like the Amiga, Atari ST, and C64. In a better timeline with nigger-free culture this could have sustained itself. The normalfags won. They have no initiative, no drive, no curiousity. They have no patience. They want to get fat, play DRM exclusives, and cruise through their sad, pathetic pointless lives.

Make Gaming Great Again. Bring back full documented hardware.

a lot of companies just got better at protecting their hardware. Much easier to keep track of who has access to your hardware when you can send unique copies to specific groups and track them digitally. Probably not gonna happen again on any influential platforms. Either learn to work around or go on without it, or stay in the past.

(((Microsoft)))

Why is it assumed that there's not already Chads and retards using PC's for gaming?
Have you been on Steam or Twitch? Mostly retards.

Fucking faggot you tripped me up

If microsoft is stupid enough to follow the "majority", let them die. The only argument I have heard for the Xbone is that its backwards compatible.Even if that sucks and doesn't play every older xbox game, it still means people like it because it plays games you wouldn't normally find on another console. So when you have a ps4, with some exclusives compared to the xbone, with only 3rd party shit every console has, its clear who wins.

MS already tried this. They have to pay enough to make up for the lost sales from not going to the other x86, AMD GCN GPU console. And it doesn't work.

If you are a developer, why would you take MS's money to go exclusive? You could make more by focusing on PS4.

MS has already established they can't make their own first and second party games worth a shit. They got lucky with Halo series, and almost everything major on Xbox platforms has been third party or multiplatform. Look at Xbox 360 exclusives, it never had shit. Xbox 360 and Xbone are just multiplatform machines targeted toward consumers who aren't into PCs.

Look at MS's first and second party games and see which ones were failures and which ones succeeded.

For success, you basically have Halo, GoW, Forza, Crackdown, maybe a few others. But most of them show up at least on PC.
Meanwhile, the failures (didn't sell or people didn't like, or were cancelled). Just search for xbox 360 exclusives for a good laugh, it's mostly "journalists" listing games like Left 4 Dead as exclusives.

MS has barely ever had exclusive software that sells systems. There are a few examples, but the failures massively outweigh the success.

They've been trying for a long time to get good first and second party software. It's why they bought Rareware and other studios. And it doesn't work. The corporate structure of MS won't ever allow them to have unique, in demand IP. The suits won't let them make something innovative, at best they can make something that's well polished but has been around for a long time.

If Xbox was owned by any other company besides MS (and their deep pockets), it would have stopped a long time ago. I don't think any series of consoles has lived this long without exclusive software that people want. And every step of the way MS has been trying and spending tons of money to try and get exclusive software. And it rarely works. It hasn't really worked since OG Xbox.

Xbox's problem is that it has been focusing on exclusives and games. They've been doing it for as long as Xbox has existed. And they've failed spectacularly at it. XxXboneXxX is them trying to make something that plays multiplatform games better than the other consoles because that's all they have left to try and sell hardware. They aren't going to do it with software, they know.

It's not like MS stopped producing a ton of awesome exclusives so they could focus on XboneX. They don't even have games to sacrifice to make XboneX. It's just them grabbing at straws, probably some suits decided it was more profitable to try and become a superior multiplatform console than it was to put money into developing an exclusive game that might not even sell.

I give Xbox one more generation before it disappears, tops. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last generation.

Polite sage, but look at original Xbox's exclusives. It was just a bunch of developers jumping from Dreamcast because they both ran Windows and were the most similar as far as hardware and software are concerned.

PC with its backwards compatibility to the DOS era and modular system setup so you can customize what you want in a certain price point and exclusive games we wish consoles could have but are limited by consoles shit control schemes and unwillingness to make anything NOT proprietary so good luck having cheap peripherals?

I remember people saying that if anyone else had launched the original XBox they would have had to declare bankruptcy within a year or two, that's how much money they were bleeding to keep the system afloat. I don't think their XBox division has actually been profitable in a long, long time.

Then again, a currynigger is running the whole of MS into the ground so very soon they'll have to trim the fat a little, and I do expect shareholders to demand the shutdown of the XBox division. Good riddance is all I'm saying.

Console gaming IS the decline.

>v^muh exclusives
Strategy games being exclusive to pc means they don't have to be dumbed down for consoles ::)

Consoles need to go back to being plug-in-and-play. I shouldn't have to go through 50 terms of services, 12 system updates, 21 day-1 patches, and pay $59.99/m just to play a game.

do you not remember Halo?

Do normalfags?

I've been debating on whether or not to get a Switch just so I can play its exclusives, Odyssey being the biggest contender. Other consoles have games I'd love to play but they just aren't worth the expense to me, since I would end up buying them solely for that specific game and then not buying anything I couldn't also get on PC. At least with the Switch I can expect Prime 4, the new Kirby, or potentially another Zelda with refined content from BOTW later on down the line. There's also the games already out like Splatoon 2 and ARMS but I'm more skeptical on those

loosely related to the topic

They are.
I don't own either but PS4 has a few system sellers

Again, nothing absolutely amzing, but it does have some interesting stuff.

The Switch is six months old and it's just worth it for Splatoon and Mario, plus all the other ports it's gonna get from the WiiU.

Kek. Does it even have any nip games?

reCore is technically japanese I think?

This. Game exclusives are a pretty artificial way to inflate a console's value. The most notable core value for consoles is being idiot proof, and you can't get much more idiot proof than "put CD/cartridge in console and turn on." Note that I'm referring to absolute retards who cannot into PC in any way, shape, or form. Or don't want to mess with PC settings and error handling in case something goes wrong.

Consoles, in addition, can make addons work out easier too due to their guaranteed same hardware and setup methods. WiiU's dumb screen could've made it a decent asymmetric couch gaming thing, but no one really did much with it aside from Nintendo Land from what I hear. Are they gimmicks? Sure. But XBone and PS4 didn't have much aside from branding and exclusives to stand out.

PC, however, offers a lot more you can do with modding games, upgrading hardware, and in general doing shit. If you don't need the idiot-proof features of consoles, and can use a PC, then you're typically just better off playing on there. Consoles make more sense for kids, who are mostly idiots, and in general are a relic of when hardware was weak and you'd be okay investing in a dedicated console to play vidya.

So xbone is their ps2?

No, the PS2 was actually successful

Would it really be so bad if consoles were totally discontinued? Aside from a few exclusives, what do consoles provide at this point in time that differentiate them from other platforms, and in a positive way?

No.

All shit, not system sellers, and KH isn't exclusive.
Thats 6 games with Nioh over 4 years.
Top tier shit
Its better than 8th Gen on their first years for sure, but its still pretty bad.
The only thing that sells me on the Switch is portability and not being very expensive.
Kike tier physical DLC and NoA censoring bullshit bring me right back to reality though.

Right, listen I'm not looking for your subjective opinion, it doesn't really matter if you personally dislike them.

Objectively comparing modern shitbox games to older DRMboxes games is a subjective opinion now?
The games you listed are a subjective opinion considering normalfags will avoid most of that shit and just go for Uncharted and Knack 2 which are the true system sellers.
The library of exclusives for modern consoles is a fucking joke compared to older consoles, thats a fact, not an opinion

Just saying X is shit over a list of actually pretty good games makes you seem like a retard, and as we all know discussing with retards is a huge waste of time.

Which is exactly what I wrote in my post.

Not even gonna read your post. Sage'd, filtered and reported.

Actually that's opinion. Do we really need to play this game?

But user, exclusives are a cancerous, evil monopolistic practice in this industry! That's why every game should exclusively be sold on Steam in PC, where every single relevant dollar in PC gaming goes.

Are you a liberal?

Nope, its a fact

Wew

That's an opinion.

I hope consoles live forever just for the immense asshurt they inspire in some people.

At this point you're just reading whatever you want to read.
You actually are a retard.

The PS2 is an exception, no other console even comes close to having the amount of games it had. Comparing current consoles with Dreamcast, GC, and Xbox is more fair.

Sony fans don't care about good games. Gravity rush isn't a system seller, it is too niche despite being good.

All that matters is advertising. Look at the ps4. It sold amazingly well despite having nothing good but bloodborne for it's first 2 years and even then bloodborne was only decent.
The switch is selling amazing not because it has better games than the Wiiu but because it's gimmick of being hand held is better and because it has better advertising. The nintendo Switch is clearly going to be Japans console of choice and the ps4 Europes and this all due to advertising and gimmicks.

Right.
And 50% of people that bought a PS2 bought it because it was a DVD player.

When I say system seller, I of course mean for people that actually care about playing games on it, not for the dude that buys a console to play Fifa.

lol

this was only true for early japanese adopters.

Exclusives are literally the only point of specialized or alternative hardware.
That's the whole point
You make the games that would play like ass with the standard computer set up, which, unfortunately for most consoles as of late, a controller is standard for peripherals people own for a computer.

What would be the point of multiplay Jagged Alliance 2? Besides wasting dev time and money.

exclusives are also good for developers. You have a first party that supports you with marketing, funding, technical support, and time management and they will literally send people to you to help get things working. the first party deal with exclusivity contracts is great and really attractive to developers. You essentially get the most freedom to make the game you want to make in those kinds of deals. Nothing else can compete, and with the lack of a first party on PC, there's been no major high budget exclusives.

[source]
As far as I know this was also true for europe.
Don't know about america

As a guy who mostly played on consoles before adulthood: While competition is healthy, it should ideally be among separate PC operating systems, not consoles. Quality control at the expense of proper hardware (and often framerate) is not quality control at all.

doubtful, look up best buy catalogs for the year 2000 and 2001. You can see DVD players listed for 100 bucks, I think the cheapest ones are 60 or 80.

My source is the only source I've ever seen mention the "DVD players are the reason for the PS2's success" meme: the G4/TechTV Icons documentary about the Sega Dreamcast. I recommend you watch it. You can also check the prices of DVD players at electronics retailers from 2000/2001 using the waybackmachine. I'm not a PALfag so I don't know what sites to check for them. Bet you the prices are about the same as American DVD players.

… Best Buy doesn't exist in europe

why

which is why I went on to say I don't know what sites to check for PAL regions, but I encourage you to check for yourself if you know the region better than I do.

You're going to have a bad time

Brand loyal consolefags are part of the cancer killing this industry.

I missed that part.

I dunno, I have no idea where I would go check for something like that.

Let's do it then. You've got one game (which I personally don't like btw) but I'm not gonna use it against your list.
Go ahead, let's see it.

Always a disaster
PS2 was a cheap DVD player and to this day people still use it for that.

Don't know what shithole you live in but they weren't that here in first world Europe.

If you know electronics retailers in Europe, look up their site, copy and paste their URL into the way back machine and you should find relevant results. I suggest checking their september-december 2000 and september-december 2001 catalogs to see what competing DVD players were offering.

I think the PS2 was sold first as a game system, but had the appeal of also supporting a new format entering the home video scene.

made two posts already about how I'm not talking about Europe. the PS2 was definitely not sold as a cheap DVD player considering it was 200 bucks more than DVD players at the time. If you wanted a DVD player, you just got one of those instead.

well you could make the argument the effective monopoly with pc development isn't exactly healthy.
Especially if you're considering backlogged software.

You're greatly overestimating how irrelevant european internet was in 2000/2001

Just an example
web.archive.org/web/20010118210700/http://www.euronics.co.uk/

I tried a few others and they were just completely broken

Try german or other UK stores. I'll skip to my conclusion on the matter, I don't think European sales were that important compared to US sales and for Sony, not as important as Japanese sales in order to warrant the direction the market takes.

Exclusives are a good thing because they encourage competition between the Big 3, no? And multiplats often result in developers releasing a shittier game so it works on better on all consoles, usually at the expense of the PC version.
I can only see exclusives as a bad thing if you're a poorfag who can't afford more than one platform.

web.archive.org/web/20000609021837/http://www.game.co.uk/

Apparently the current domain for Game used to be some kind of tech PR firm back in the 2000s?
Weird

I agree, but I would actually like to hear your thoughts on something I shared here:

You mean aside from consoles? Well, because cross-OS availability either stunts competition or comes with DRM.

Should I buy a PS4? I'm selling my car to pay off some of my fathers debt and I'm thinking of taking like 300$ and spending it on a console.

Wasn't ReCore developed by the original Retro team, which is based in America?

get a used one on ebay, some games from other regions are cheaper and will work with no problems. for example: gravity rush remastered (NA) vs Gravity Rush remastered (english/asian chinese copy.)

Look at the games and if they interest you then go for it.
I personally think the Switch might be more worth it in the long run, but that's really up to you to decide.

Apparently it's a mix of Comcept and Armature, so half Japan half Texas, which I have no fucking clue how how that would work, but I guess that probably explains why the game was a huge mess.

This thread started as garbage and devolved into absolute ireedemable garbage.

you're doing a great job improving it

I said irreedemable

Is this bait?

A console focused thread indeed

so did this guy, now look how happy he is

I'm not the one in debt, my father is. He can pay it off just fine, he's been a forester for 28 years, I just want to help him out since I almost never use my car.

The Gamecube was the pinnacle of 3D Nintendo, back when they were actually competing.

Use your fucking head for one second, you goddamn imbecile; there's already practical monopolies within the tech industry including hardware, like intel processors and Nvidia graphixxxx xDDDD or better yet
WINDOWS FUCKING 10
KILL YOURSELF YOU FUCKING RETARD
YOU ARE ACTUALLY CANCER
I BET YOU THINK THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH A SINGLE WORLD GOVERNMENT TOO
LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT SOME GODDAMN ECONOMICS YOU FUCKING RETARD
AND ALSO TRY TO FIGURE OUT THROUGH YOUR TINY BRAIN WHY GAMES CONTINUE TO BECOME SHIT DESPITE THE PC MARKET ONLY CONTINUING TO GROW AND CONSOLE MARKETS CONTINUING TO SHRINK

Not being a fucking NEET would help him a lot more.

Average consolefag.

wind waker and sunshine are some of the worst installments they made in their mainline franchises

Exactly, and even this pales in comparison to the PS2's library.

Stinky Hat

Because the main demographic of vidya is now shit eating retards and has been since 2007.
Mobileshit influence

We're gtting better games now than 2009-2013, thats for sure.

Wind Waker is objectively the best Zelda game in the series.

If I cared about helping anyone but myself then I wouldn't be a NEET.

It suffers, like a lot of other Nintendo games from the same time, from cut content and is largely unfinished unfortunately. But yeah I agree.

The Wind Waker and Sunshine are both 10/10 games.

archive.is/DUo6G
Nigger I'm not a fucking consolefag
I don't even own a single fucking console anymore. I can show you pics of my "gayman PC" if you want
All I have left are Ninty handhelds (another example of a cancer) besides PC games

The demographic is a part of the problem; another problem is companies becoming more than truly jewish
But if people can't see the goddamn problem of letting one platform dominate the market when so many monopolies exist in said market, they deserve to be gassed for their thinking
Look at what Google has done to people in general
Look at what Blizzard has done to MMOs
Look at what Riot has done to Mobas and by extension every other video game and company merely by their presence
Look at what Valve has done with their presence on Steam

Any fuck who unironically believes PC should be the only fucking market is a retard; its well-known that PC is the strongest and *oftentimes* the best platform to create games on, but saying it should be the sole one to create games on is utter cancer
That's also killing off mechanics which would be prevalent thanks to innovation of video game companies, like the DS's touchscreen mechanics or things of that nature and so forth

*By console standards, I mean.

I remember people ditching Halo to play CoD and ditching CoD to play Battlefield.

I also remember when PSN was hacked, people traded in their PS3's to buy 360's just so they could play CoD.

Devs developing for windows doesn't limit them or give ms any shekels.

Except it does.

How?

Datamining to sell has been standard since XP. Even if you pirate, MS is still getting their money out of you.
Lack of OS compatibility ensures that end users of particular software are restricted to Windows, and even compatibility hacks don't exactly help with the situation compared to native support.

He's right though, make a gun and shoot yourself.

Threads like these are why nobody on Holla Forums is part of a relevant demographic anymore.

Cool defeatist bullshit, ramhole.

We will never be the demographic they seek to gratify again.

I'd rather be the most insignificant "audience" than be a mouth breathing retard who only buys what is advertised to him.

Wind Waker is far better than Twilight Princess and and Skyward Sword. Sunshine is my least favorite Main Mario (unless you include shovelware like 3D World), but it's still a top tier game.

Where did you even get any of that from my post?

Woops; not openGL
I was thinking of something else, probably Gameworks or Vulkan or something along those lines

He's retarded, it should be pretty clear from just reading the post

Vulkan is an open low level graphics API from Khronos and the successor to OpenGL. Gameworks is a proprietary piece of shit library by NVIDIA with the sole purpose of making games run slower on AMD cards and most of the time they have to pay for developers to use it.

The beginning of the last generation was easily the shittest period in video game history.

Thanks user; its been a while since I looked into this shit

That's not true. It's also to make games run slower on older NVIDIA cards.

1.2 million concurrent players in destiny 2 after a couple of days. Nothing on steam touches that and the pc version won't either. Hearthstone and LoL probably beat it though. You don't pay full price for those games though.

Unless its actually good that number will drop off significantly within the next 2 weeks
By the end of the month I suspect it'll only have half its player base left unless they really hit gold with this one which I SINCERELY doubt

steamcharts.com/app/570
Dota has reached that multiple times.
Same for PUBG.

Are you fucking stupid? Keep the car. Dear old daddy can pay for his own shit. You need to go to work.

(you) can go now

I've never had a console, but if I were buying one, I wouldn't really care for exclusives. I would buy it because I then I wouldn't have to worry about components being too old, etc., you just put in a game and play it. For me, that's the main appeal of consoles.

needed color

If that's your idea of a quality post, you need to get off Holla Forums entirely.

Actually that is par for the course here and you are the intruding minority

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Nice one line shitpost. Now you are getting the hang of it. You might integrate here after all.

sage tbh

Sure, if you're a low-tier trash developer you might be trying to compete. All of the other companies are running this business like the mob and that's the final redpill for the little gamergaters crying about unobjective reviews.

Sure thing bub.

Spiced up the one line shitpost with some coonrunes and lack of punctuation/capitalization to boot. It's like you have posted here for years. Proud of you boy.

user if you wanted to shitpost so rampantly you could've just made a lol thread

Yes and no… the big downside to having multiple viable competing OS's is that it becomes a pain in the ass for companies to train new employees to use those systems that they may not be familiar with. Part of the reason why Microsoft held the OS monopoly for so long is precisely because businesses found it cost effective to have their employees already familiar with their office machines - because they ran the same OS as their home computer. It also greatly facilitated the ability for their employees to take their work home and on the road with them.

Unlike consoles, PCs are productivity devices first and foremost. PCs are a platform for creation. Consoles are a platform for consumption. You can have multiple media consumption devices competing directly with little market consequence. Pragmatism and functionality put pressure on PC OS's to conform to a standard by which industry can leverage.

You will make it one day. I believe in you.

You can optimize a port as much as you want, it being a port has nothing to do with it. It takes a lot of work though.

Holla Forums isn't your hugbox, faggot. People exist in the world that have opinions you don't like and they aren't just baiting you.

But you've got to ask yourself how much time the company is willing to invest in one multiplat game. It's just one game after all, and there are tons more coming down the pipeline that are just as likely to make bank as this one is. Maybe if you're a smaller developer you can afford to invest a lot of time into each and every port of your game, but even then, you don't have all the time in the world to work on one game; deadlines have to be met games have to go gold, money has to be made.

Yes and they don't belong here. Leave.

Depending on the port, it's usually less work to port an already made game than to make a new one, unless the code was severely Pajeet tier.

You do realise this is why HD remasters are becoming a big thing now; cheaply ported games to make a quick buck as opposed to making a new game. Now we're getting HD "remasters" of games like CoD 4, because it's cheap and a surefire way for companies to make fast money.

That's what I'm saying. The cost of porting isn't usually as big as making a new game (unless you're really retarded like Tomm Hullet), so it's not really that much of a burden. That includes optimisation. You could definitely optimise for each platform. The problem is they usually cut down the budget for ports, greatly underestimating their cost.

And the sun is hot

We have digressed from the main point; multiplatform releases, a la Assassain's Creed, Watch_Dogs, CoD, Battlefield, Battlefront, etc. are usually released simultaneously so as to maximise profits. Staggering the releases for platform optimisation or even delaying the release dates just for optimisation is bad in a business sense because that could potentially mean that the profit margin will be much smaller. The longer you have your staff working on a project, the more you have to pay them. If the game has to be delayed, there's the potential for more sales to be lost and for others to cancel their pre-orders Whatever you think about pre-orders, they're now a barometer for success. Don't forget that Uppers!, a game made by the team behind Senran Kagura, was 'delayed' because it didn't meet a pre-order target. The longer consumers have to wait for a game, the more likely they'll forget about your product and go towards a rival, resulting in further reduced profits. Ensuring that every port shines as brightly as it can for every platform is bad for the business, so they cut corners and ensure that they at least work while looking the part for a title on its generation of hardware.

Going back to HD remasters, they're becoming a problem in and of themselves. They weren't such a problem they contained more than one game in one package or when they added new features or when they brought an obscure title back into the limelight, but now we're getting ports of games that don't really need remasters, like the aforementioned CoD 4, The Last of Us, The Uncharted Collection, WipEout Omega Collection, Tomb Raider, God of War III, Sleeping Dogs, etc. You can argue that the other remastered games last generation didn't need remastering, but I'd argue that having the games bundled together, removing the region locking, giving PAL region games 60fps support when they lacked it prior, making harder to access games easier to access and with some adding bonus features, it made up for what effectively was a director's cut of an old game.

My point was more in line with what you can do rather than what devs usually do. Given enough time, you can make the ports run efficiently on every platform, but you're right in saying that publishers cut down on cost and time to release multiplatform games.

consoles should just fucking die already. They're just locked PCs at this point, and getting rid of them will cure the common disease of game consolization

This argument always bother me because it implied that simultaneously released multiplats are good. No, they aren't. The industry was a lot better before we got multiplats for PS, Xbox, and PC at the same time. PC games get consolefied and the cancerous Xbox practices migrated to PS like paid online. Almost all multiplats plays the same.

Not really no. Lets be honest here. Modern consoles are just glorified PC's. Producers bend over backwards to offer everything a PC is capable of in order to stay relevant, and the games often chug at a lower FPS because devs are retarded at optimizing as a result. And the difference is when they stop releasing games for the console they just turn into a glorified Netflix machine. Can somebody sit there and genuinely point out what the point of consoles are today? What do they offer that PC's don't? 40 minutes of effort to boot it up? Shit most consoles require 2 hours of updates to get going on initial startup. A different controller/hardware set? Simple, sell hardware for the computer and OS in question. If it's not available for a certain OS you can bet your ass a community will work on a patch for it if it's worth doing.

I'm not even being a PC favoritism. I own a good chunk of older consoles with a good sum of games but I genuinely can's wrap my brain around why consoles are still around if all they do is emulate PC's. If you want something to sell why not do something that the PC doesn't?

pretty woke

Being a PC faggot.
can't*
fuck

its the atheism of gaming

If this were 2004 I'de probably agree with you. But on an objective level I see no reason why consoles still exist as a product to purchase when they offer less than another product that can cost less with more options.

While consoles served a good purpose throughout the 80's and 90's due to PCs struggling to keep up with them but those days are long since over now consoles are just a tumour, PC has overtaken them and due to the PC's customisation and open nature will stay that way, consoles do nothing nowadays but drag the industry down.

Honestly, they're running out of places to go. The graphics are now good enough that normalfags can't tell the difference. VR exists and only needs polish. Online infrastructure is considered obligatory.

There's nothing left to do but push bigger numbers and maybe try to stay up to date enough to get ports of PC games.

Consoles' only remaining strength is couch multiplayer, and they've been shunning that for years in favor of online multiplayer so everyone has to buy a copy.

I love Wind Waker, it's a great game, but come on, be real.

I think consoles can be useful in the tech sense if they sponsor or encourage development on different cpu architectures, peripherals, and hardware in the general sense, because currently x86 is dominating. However, right now PS4 and Xbox pretty much assemble AMD/NVIDIA parts and jumped on the x86 train.

I.e ideally ARM, RISC-V, or other smaller or niche cpu architectures can get their foot in the door with making small scale consoles and handhelds & additionally consoles run their own small operating systems which may also be conducive to those developments too. But unfortunately, even the console market is focused on high budget graphical fidelity.

In an ideal capitalist free market, this is true. In our current real world market, it doesn't matter because the biggest players control the market as they see fit. Big corporations actively work together behind the scenes to provide products and services in a way that benefits them the most with little to no regard for how the system affects the base-level consumer.

When you say the market needs more competition, you're right, but you're missing the big picture; big companies are not competing for our money because they do not NEED to compete. These organizations are so big that they can simply convince everyone to work with them to fix prices, coordinate console launches, and generally make their games with the same relative level of effort; it's very well known at this point that developers and publishers make their games similar to their competitors' products because "that's what made their game great, so let's make it more like theirs."

At the same time, we all know how publishers strong arm journalists into doing their job, how they've done it for so long that these fucking "news" outlets just willingly eat out of the publishers' hands. The whole market is one gigantic dog and pony show for the consumers to emulate the concept of "competition" and "choice" so they can milk us for as much money as they can while putting in as little effort and money as possible.

The entire market is fucked. We need a return to competition to keep the entire market from crashing, and that is very unlikely to happen.

Zelda games aren't so great that those are deal breakers.

You are very right user. Anyone who doesn't understand why exclusives are great for the industry never played games from before 2006.
When you see the kind of talent that Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and SEGA were bringing in and throwing money at back when they were really competing, you see that exclusives were pretty much the main reason the Industry was pumping out gem after gem.

I mean, just look at games like Jet Set Radio, Phantom Dust, Metroid prime, Jak and Daxter, etc. that were the result of creativity born from a need to stay competitive.

How does it feel having shit taste?

I completely agree. I understand that PC is extremely capable of a wide range of mechanics, from VR to motion-control, but it isn't normalized and doesn't come to the forefront of the platform.

For example, the DS and the Wii U disregarding that the Wii U was an outright failure. The best features of those two platforms were undoubtedly just how unique the touch and dual screens could work, and most developers were simply too intimidated to make anything for them, which was another big reason the U failed.

Not having those functions as primary features at all stifles any creativity because you would somehow need to convince players to buy an add-on or extension in order to enjoy those, and that has historically been a failing business strategy. Creativity with unique functions and mechanics like those dies out in favor of better graphics or sound.

The Wii-U's gimmick fell flat after you realized it was useless past 4 games. "intimidated" is the wrong word here. It would have been useless as a developer. And likely more difficult to program and develop because of its unique software. There's no game off the top of my head that would play better with shield controls and a touch screen outside of a very specific type of game and they wanted this thing to sell in a way that could reach a wide demographic. It's retarded. Nintendo's been pushing motion controls for years now and it's so fucking rare that I ever find the experience to be enjoyable. Last time it ever felt engaged was collecting star bits in Galaxy. Which is a chore more than anything.

Yea, I don't really understand how breath of the wild is enjoyable for so many. I'd give it a 4/10 at best

PCs which cost less than consoles provide god awful experiences with the same software. they even provide inferior experiences to equal priced phones for basic tasks like web browsing, video watching or basic web apps.

Good posts. Capped for posterity.

we don't need more autists missing the point about exclusives, its an awful diatribe by total biscuit tier intellectuals

Would you rather have shit games, or overpriced DVD and Blu-ray players?

This is correct, but I wouldn't count Nintendo out that quickly. See, the 3DS is much weaker and more cumbersome to develop for than the Vita, yet there are a lot more games for it because it has a larger userbase. The Switch is getting a very large userbase which is by far the biggest driving factor of whether or not a platform will have a healthy lifetime with third-party support. If the Switch takes root properly, Nintendo will be competing again. Even with the numbers as they are now, I am almost certain that next year's E3 will see Sony and MS announce their own "hybrid" consoles. Competition or not, Sony and MS have been emulating Nintendo for many years now when it comes to hardware.

If any faggot that was born post 2000 would notice that when consoles compete, they encourage 3rd party devs to create magic on their consoles. Nevermind the most fondly remembered games are mostly on console. What also needs to come in mind that I'm not talking about current gen shit but old school consoles that just focused on being a fucking gaming console. Limited resources forced devs to produce games tried to push a consoles limits. When you lack those limits you get laziness. Any fucking media suffers this when you don't encourage competition. You try your best to create a bug free game, so the game isn't returned back to the store or loses sales. Now we are at a "It'll be patched later" excuse that was stuck with PC only. Consoles are cancer now, since they are gimped PC. But hell, they were not before which was what really helped push games ahead.

The reason that the industry is treated as duopoly is because Microsoft can't sell Xboxes in Japan, people want to pay for multiplayer which free on PC for some reason, and third parties hate Nintendo.

This reminded me about how some fag in the height Bayo2 said that Nintendo are assholes for releasing their titles in other platforms like PS.

I would say Sega getting into the mix might help but their Western and Japanese branches will end up bickering again.

I'm just finding a reason to post these.

I'm glad I've never heard of this show.

I think we can take this as confirmation that the industry will try to take your old games away even if you own a legit copy

I don't see anything conclusive about exclusives there.
The conclusion seems to be that exclusives are good only when you have more competitors, so exclusives aren't a good thing now?

Does this guy even own or ever run a real company for a long period of time without having the federal government bail them out? Their wiki gives jack and shit to any actual investment advice that actually worked out.

Think about the crazy ideas you could have come up with, though. The Wii U had the technology to easily make a modernized Pokemon Snap game, for example.

There were a million and a half things you could do with that technology, and people threw their hands in the air and gave the fuck up. Nobody WANTS to develop for it, creativity is discouraged by major publishers with bullshit "risk management", and everyone but the billionaires suffer for it.

We need real creativity. Real innovation. No big industry in the world today has seen real growth or innovation in almost a decade, if not much longer.

You're right, if we were judging them by PC standards, these instantly become 1000/10 games, thanks to the PC's sheer lack of standards.

What a fucking shill.

Is Strife good?

fuck no. play powerslave EX or the saturn version.

nvm thought you said strafe, strife is OK but don't expect a classic shooter.

even though they are pretty bad games, there really is nothing to compare them to on the PC. They'd be getting "reinstallan" memes and cyclical threads that last for months considering some of the utter shit that gets it around here.

Need I bring up the Medievil 2 Fiasco?

The ideal state of the industry ought to encourage as much competition as possible, in both the PC and console markets. That means different hardware and different games taking advantage of the different hardware, and playing to the strengths of each platform.

Currently there is very little competition: Microsoft/Valve own the PC market, Sony owns the console market. Nintendo owns the handheld market.

Exclusives are good when there is competition because they tend to be driven not only by a need to make a good game, as any studio wants, but by a need to demonstrate the quality of experience you can expect on a given console; this is best demonstrated by having a good product rather than the giant money sinks modern AAA games are. Exclusive games have the side effect of breeding console fanboys, but any exclusive media will do this.

However, "ending consoles" or whatever the underageb& faggots in this thread have been saying would not fix the problem. The problem is the entire industry's direction, so consolidating the entire industry into a single market would only compound matters rather than doing anything positive.

Exclusives are simply a part of the industry, not a force unto and of themselves. While myopic types may cry because they want to play the newest games NAO, anyone with a lick of patience will sit back, work on his backlog, and be happy to know more good games will be playable at some point in the future. On a long enough timeline, exclusive games benefit everyone.

The conclusion is that our economy and the gaming market are fucked for the same reason every other market is fucked. When "competitors" work together, it doesn't matter if shit is exclusive or not; they rig the prices, they lower the quality of the product, and they do whatever they can to save themselves as much money as possible. All of that shit passes onto us, and WE are the ones that suffer.

Exclusives don't matter when they intentionally make shit games either way. Until the market crashes and people start working on new shit to spite the billionaires, nothing will change.

Got any link? They got taken down

eh if we are putting things in prospective they are still far behind xbox one and ps4
It may get close to xbox one in another few years buts its in no way gonna be crazy mainly because nintendo doesn't know how to fucking produce shit anymore

It seems to me that putting everything on a single platform makes each game compete with each other more directly instead of there being a paywall to pay the other competitor game (in this case, paying for another console + online, etc), so the competition would be more fair and less blinded by red herrings like console wars and corporate cocksucking.

Capitalism is all about providing options, so corporations will come up to the mantle if the current consoles companies die or change. But they won't, and we'll be getting new iterations of the xbox and playstation until the free market exists.

And for the record, consoles are not staggering the market and good games being made. It is the microtransaction plague, the sheer shit taste of the consumer base, and over saturation and under saturation of genres.

That makes sense in theory, but I can't see many large publishers extending benevolent hands like that if they needn't. I'm imagining something like the studio system in film where studios would hire leading men and directors for years-long contracts for a certain number of films, not necessarily for the quality of the products they'd produce but so the other guys couldn't have them.

I'm lacking when it comes to grasping the economics of this, but I can consult the historical record as well as anyone and the trends clearly show the number of quality exclusives being higher when there were more consoles in the market - look at how few there are now, after all. Even lukewarm exclusives like Chibi-Robo and Wind Waker are better than Horizon Zero Dawn.
There are broader implications about the cost of a given game and what constitutes "success" in a world where everything is prohibitively expensive and comes with a dozen stability patches + persistent servers, but the general idea is that.

Sadly, I'm pretty disgustingly new to video games so I can't speak from experience when it comes to this stuff. All I can do is look at the current market and realize that Sony, despite having a huge advantage over M$, hasn't had many high-profile exclusives that really tried something new. Nioh and Bloodborne are good, but you'd never see them trotting out Nights of Azure. They won this generation before it even started on the back of a simple policy change; games are secondary.

If I learned anything from this thread, it's that someone out there still cares about Relient K, but I'm not sure how to feel about that

Yo, faggots.
Many thanks for the powerslave recommendation. This game KICKS FUCKING ASS and I fell in love instantly.
I'm autistic when it comes to my games folder so I made a quick (shitty) icon since I couldn't find one on the web.
If anyone wants it:

a.pomf.cat/socacr.ico

I'm reminded of the typical argument given to those who believe that Bethesda is butthurt about FO:NV a better game. People say that it is stupid because FO:NV being a good game will only give them more money. However, this is the assumption that Bethesda Game Studios cares only about making money. No, Zenimax care about money. Bethesda Softworks cares about bleeding companies dry and buying off companies and their IPs. Bethesda Game Studios cares about their cushy jobs. Emil is a hack of a writer and modders have demonstrated to be far better than Bethesda themselves. They haven't hired any of the modders and Emil still has a fucking job. Also, FO:NV rose the expectations of their brain dead audience. FO4 wasn't as universally acclaimed.

this.

This is the scam. If this is the only reason for the console to exist (since any game can run on the PC platform better) then console has no intrinsic value anymore.

How is this important? Consoles are built from the same parts as PC's these anyway. This is a false economy.

Since these two points were the bulk of your argument the rest of your post can be discarded.

He's not making the same argument you are.
I think he's speaking from a practical perspective (ie consoles exist because big companies want them to exist, we won't get rid of them, if you try to get rid of them now it won't happen), while you and I are making idealistic statements (consoles don't need to exist on this day and era).

I was countering it.
Yes I get that, especially have 4 contenders part, the problem is that the hardware itself no longer has an advantage. The old consoles main advantage wasn't just price but dedicated hardware that made no sense in an IBM compatible like sprite controllers.
Its now possible to make a comparable PC of the same value that runs better.

I don't' think its idealistic, I think its what going to happen and is happening.

The only console to sell at a profit in the last ~10 years was the Wii and that's now over. Consoles are a loss and it won't be able to continue. The real question is what next?

That's why I said consoles don't need to exist anymore.
Far from it. Sony and Nintendo are selling well. Xbox managed to survive 2 generations even if it's not doing great now.
Killing Nintendo will specially be tough, if not impossible.
It's very idealistic to think consoles will go away.

if PC's current state is any indication (people paying $600 for mid range cards) and there being well, no games in 10 years, the industry would be far worse if exclusives and consoles didn't exist.

he's referring to the "ps3 and 360 were manufactured and sold at a loss" which was true, and only true for those systems 10 years ago. the xbox one and PS4 were sold and are sold at a profit. His information is incredibly out of date.

Wait a fucking minute, this is a console wars thread. Fuck you OP, choke on a million dicks and die, I nearly wrote a serious post.

Why consoles?
Idealistically, they could've helped develop those cpu architectures so those types of chips expand their market share.
This is a legitimate positive impact that console development could've for the tech industry and development.
Unfortunately, its not what has happened.

To respond to

No not really. Pokemon Snap was a solid Idea that could still be implemented on the Switch but outside of Pokemon Snap and a Fatal Frame ripoff, there really wasn't much potential. Nintendo tried to patent what you're talking about anyway. It was called "shield mode" or something. And if it was taken in extreme lengths it would get about as far as modern VR games are now. Which is several dozen target practice games with an occasional few decent ones. And it still goes back to my original point. If Nintendo wanted to try new things and still keep a large variety of people they could just develop hardware as an extension to the PC rather than sell a bloated product that would be defunct in a couple years.

Please do, I never heard of it and I can always put another publisher on my blacklist.

Nigger the first time they significantly changed the hardware of a system to encourage more experimental game design (beyond the basic performance upgrades) was the DS and the Wii. Don't act like they haven't made normal consoles and hardware for the majority of their existence as a video game company.

I'd rather Microsoft didn't focus on exclusives, because for a company like Microsoft that ultimately means buying up the rights to games I could have played on my prefered systems otherwise.

Where did I say they didn't? And those normal consoles will still be more relevant in the next few decades than a Wii-U because of the tiny ass Library and annoying shield mode. There's a difference between innovation and recklessly adding a gimmick that will suit an incredibly limited type of game. It's the same issue with the switch and the terrible fucking controllers once separated. Also, what the fuck was wrong with Pokemon Snap with conventional controls? Does the inclusion of a second screen really add that much? It's a more naturalized method of movement sure but at no point when I was playing the original did I want or feel the need to have a more natural controller. Primarily because I didn't want to waste money on 1 game. I don't understand this autism that comes with playing a game in a radically different way for it to feel more natural. In some circumstances it's a large improvement but in cases like Pokemon snap I can live without it if it means $370 out of my pocket.

What about the v-boi?

Cuck.

I don't think you could call the V-boy a finished product given how quickly it induced eye strain, headaches, etc.

>competition is bad goyim, just let the (((publishers))) deal with the devs. They know what makes a game great and who needs competition when (((publishers))) can take a piece of every pie

Other than it having copy protection (it wasn't the only PSX game that did), I don't know what the fuck he's talking about

Just wait for the emulator.

Name one good game from that era

What the fuck are you talking about? Games are still in competition with each other.

If a publisher releases a game in a given genre and it performs well, that publisher is inherently more likely to release a sequel than to invest in a different game. If there was only one console, publishers would have more power over which games were made which historically doesn't mean good games for the players.

Dots should have been Pizza Rolls.

It was an important game
Doesn't mean its a good one compared to the shit we have now

This. Pcfags begging for console games on pc only casualized the games that were already on pc. they should have let console exclusives remain as such and enjoyed the quality games they already had.

I agree, it was the only true advantage of consoles and they fucked it up

I know everyone here hates Sony but they have actually invested in games and helped out studios since 1994.

Nintendo is the grandfather of vidya and makes games with passion.

Microsoft just money hats and doesn't care about videogames.