UT 4 hasn't updated since June

What hope is there for the multiplayer FPS genre if you don't want to play Numale games like COD or Overwatch?
I now there is Midair but that wont be in open beta for months.

There's always CS:GO as long as you put on sunscreen to avoid that skin cancer

robocraft would loosely pass as an arena shooter. But it isn't enough that you're good at using guns, you must also make a viable build. And yes glass cannon is viable, but only if you can stomach getting your shit pushed in all the time because you can't survive three hits.

There's always Chyionnottik.

UT2K4, Q3A, QL, Reflex, Xonotic.

CS:GO is only an arena shooter in the very loosest definitions of the term.

Arena shooters were shit in the first place, who gives a fuck? UT and Q3 killed their respective series by shitting up and destroying what used to be solid single-player experiences and managed to make Quake 4 get bad reception.

that lawful evil image doesn't seem very lawful

Q3A and QL never left. QC is actually a lot closer to Q3A and QL than people give it credit for. The slight departure from the typical Arena Shooter formula the ability system brings is needfully refreshing. If you can get passed the bullshit micro-transactions and early access its worth a shot. There's always steam refunds if you don't like it.

why do you faggots treat this as the pinnacle of video games? And the old ones haven't gone anywhere and most still have pretty active online. Christ every thread with shooters is just slammed with retards pretending they are so skilled and have such fine tastes to enjoy such an elegant and refined genre. Play the old ones, there will not be any new video games, for any fucking genre, that are any fucking good.

They are the pinnacle of online FPS.

The most basic requirement for such a game is a public SDK release - and one that isn't released to the public for the sole purpose of milking them for paid mods and unpaid development contributions.

Arena shooters long term fanbase killed arena shooters. Completely stifling any new blood who hadn't played since the dawn of the genre who quit once they realize they will never catch up.
t. long time arena shooterfag

It has an arena and it has shooting. What else do you want?

LOL?

But people have already been doing that for about 20 years, and fans of the genre don't necessarily wanna keep playing Quake 3 and UT2K4 for another 20.

That is true for any high school game. Fighting games are still played user.

Is that the new Berzerk animation?

Yes.

Let ask you something, what would a new quake or unreal tournament have that the old ones don't?

What the fuck

I mostly see people complaining about the netcode of QC. Quake 3 has it better.

Probably nothing, that's why we need new IPs.

Two lightning guns?

25 hours in 9 days in Midair, been playing it and only it for day and night. It was worth it, the game price is too much in early access at the moment but you can get a grey market key for 5€ on Kinguin.
Clip is kinda shit but it was the cleanest *ding!* I had in my recording folder.

Nah, we need a whole new genre of FPS game. Battlegrounds, DayZ, Battlefield, and Red Orchestra are popular because they're something people had never seen before.

Still a better single player campaign than Doom 3.

Not really the same. FIghtans have enough variation that new blood can sneak in the door at the beginning and make it with enough work and natural talent. Arena Shooters don't really have that critical level of shake up from game to game to allow that. New maps are memorized almost immediately and the skill set never really changes enough to give that learning window to throw off old hands for any time. It's a vicious cycle that they can't break into.

Most of the pros don't mind the abilities in QC their complaints are the shit netcode, item timers and armor/health degen.

Red Orchestra is twelve years old. Battlefield is fifteen years old. DayZ is five years old.

I intended say were popular, not are.

I have been following the development of this game for a while. In fact it inspired me to make a video about how Hirez completely mismanaged handling of Tribes ascend and how I have a bit of hope for this game. I am almost done and hopefully it will get a few more people to know about Midair before it's release.
It's really not fair the way Hirez fucked it's fans over. They dropped the game less than a year after release. They didn't even try with this game.

*With their game.
Hopefully the Midair guys are better than Hirez.

Those faggots were on the cusp of a fucking goldmine with the rise of streaming, and they threw it all away to chase a League of Legends clone. Had they continued to embrace the competitive scene, not fucked the game with microtransactions, and rode Twitch to the top of the wave, they could have been fucking legends. CS:GO ended up taking that market after they abandoned it.

I don't that, they just don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. The class system in quake makes no sense and doesn't work. It also adds randomness to the game which shouldn't be there.

Can you tell me what the game is like so far? How does it feel compared to ascend?

Good on you user. Mind posting what you got so far? Did you mention the shazbowl?

Oh they absolutely are. They listen all the time and you can talk directly to them on Discord or forums, have had a good schedule they have followed pretty consistently and actually play their own game almost every day. The people at Archetype are good people.

The game is more Tribes 1/2 than Ascend. You don't have as much air control and keeping your speed up is a lot harder compared to Ascend, while gaining it is very easy. Buying a Kinguin key is fine, the devs know and you will still help out by increasing the population.
But all in all, it's really fucking good. It's pure adrenaline and speed and each midair shot you get is so damn satisfying.

You're right.
Should be replaced with this.

I don't even care about the skill arguments anymore, its just fun to jump around the map while listening to turn-of-the-century trance music. That's literally all I even want out of video games, playing CPMA while listening to trance music. I'm not even good, i'm just competent (sorta), and that's enough for me.

UT4 doesn't get updates anymore because they started focusing on Paragon and Fortwhatever 100%. Said something like they'll return to UT whenever those projects finish

On top of those I have Xonotic, TOXIKK and the first Half Life installed. Last played them pretty long ago but they work

That's really the magic in Tribes, Quake and other classical FPS like it, you could consider the movement alone it's own game, a lot of people do, there's a reason why Race is so popular and why just showing off cap routes in Tribes is a big thing.

I gave up on it after the October 2016 update. It made the link gun overheat, rocket launcher lost the grenade alt fire (in favour of a highly generic grenade launcher weapon), removed the impact hammer in some modes, removed the helmet armor and I think some other stuff too. The main thing which annoyed me was their response to all this, basically seemed to ignore the old fans and listened to the new people who don't seem to know how to play. For example they removed impact hammer from some modes because some people thought it was a ranged weapon, that the link gun overheats because people thought it was too spammy and that the grenade alt fire in the rocket launcher was removed because it added 'unnecessary complexity and too many gameplay options'. Utter nonsense, don't like the direction they are going at all.

Not sure if they added back the stuff I'm complaining about, haven't played the game since last year following that update. Doubt they did though.

Yeah, I came back to UT4 last month after nearly a year without playing it and found that the update has made the game worse than before. Breaking up the rocket launcher and grenade launcher is particularly annoying to me. They're introducing player weapons, which is why I guess they're doing all that "balancing."

I'm still waiting for conclusive evidence that midair isn't just a huge meme, it's probably my best hope to get back into multiplayer shootan but I don't want to spend money on it yet.

pottery.

FPS is the genre for numales.

That's crpgs

upon reflection you're right. fps is just a genre for children.

IMHO it isn't worth 30€ in EA, wait for F2P launch. I got the game for cheap on Kinguin though. It's real good fun, best FPS in the last 3 years, right next to Reflex Arena.

6 degrees of freedom on mario galaxy-styled maps
maps and gameplay with heavy emphasis on non-euclidean geometry
cross-genre gameplay such as with fightan, curayzee, and games like virtual-on or gundam vs.

I've been playing Warframe pvp even though it's broken shit, because it's fast arena fps (tps w/e) that's far-removed from any existing fps game.

Tribes is awful. It only took off because it was one of the only shooters that optimized their netcode for modems. Most games were unplayable bad on dialup at the time.

woah, at last i truly see……….

Ok but can I play as a flag defending Heavy?

Also would you mind if I used some of that video footage for a Tribes video I am making?

You can play as heavy defender and sure, whatever. I can give you 1080p footy if you want.

I would like that, thanks.

Give me a temp email and I'll shoot you the links.

come on OP. are you dissing Cliffy B's genius :^)

It's going to be a F2P game on release anyway so who the fuck cares.

fps genre died with cs:go. That game was the last hope I had for the fps genres but if even Counter Strike get's dumped down without the community complaining about it then you can forget every other game. Counter Strike 1.6 was the number 1 elitist anti noob game out there and even thought that game took a hard shit on newbies it was one of the most played games on steam.

This game called Epigenesis is a lot of fun. Simple and good. But that game is 100% dead, you got like 0 people playing it. There are currently 2 people playing, according to steamcharts that game has like 1 guy playing it a month and that's probably some dude who run the game to see if anyone is online and then closed it down again.

Arena fps is dead and you're better off playing old games than new shit. This is not a genre for innovation or change, quake and ut reached its pinnacle (moreso in ut's case from my point of view), you cant just make a game like those 2 either you clone them or do something else. Most games nowadays follow the latter

As for multiplayer fps in general, excluding anything more military since that doesnt seem to be the focus here and there are plenty of good choices in that genre, the only new, decent game I can think of is dirty bomb as long as you just play the game and ignore the monkeys on marketing.
The devs are good and the game plays like all the good elements from brink and enemy territory mixed, with all the stupidly bad mechanic decisions from brink fixed, but jesus christ they hired the most retarded clowns they could find

My biggest issue with old afps is fov, most are locked on something ridiculous like 70 degrees and using a bunch of mods to fix it makes it wrong, I play 2k4 every other day but only for a while my eyes get tired and hurt for some reason
Not to mention I cant see shit in 2k4, most of the textures are a grey/brown blot. 99 looks much better, but no one plays it anymore

Dirty Bomb is kinda boring. The combat is almost purely hitscan tracking and that's just a snorefest. I got 80 hours in the game and I'm just done with it. People don't play old AFPS too often anymore. Midair isn't exactly AFPS but it has done new stuff and it's doing fine.

And the other clip I just got in today's pub.

how can you play these weird floating games?

it's easy when you have no standards

I'd be furious if I'd actually thought it was going to be good.

OP didn't say anything about Arena Shooters specifically, he only specified multiplayer FPS'

really?

OP specifically said, and I quote;

I mean it's fitting, because that's the average age of all the people who are still left playing it

I know, I don't like Discord either, but it's the only way to do some things. Discord will die soon enough once investor funds run dry and we will be back to the days of IRC, Teamspeak and Mumble.

You get used to it.

my least favorite shooters. Tried those but I just can't get into them, they are fast games but they feel so slow and sluggish.

You do. Have you never played Tribes?

If you suck shit then it's slow and sluggish, sure.

yeah but it's not my kind of games. I like tight maps like in classic ut, agony for example is a very decent map. Games like tribe are the exact opposite of what I like. You float around on big maps and your projectiles travel very slowly.

Tribes isn't fit for that. One spinboost and you are flying at >150. It really isn't slow unless you are bad.

To do what things?

Primarily talking to smaller game communities like Tribes and Midair.

Looks kind of fun, but god the graphics and art are absolutely horrible. Waiting for f2p launch seems like a good idea. I remember a tribes 2 map with a large tunnel through a mountain like that.

Thats because you dont know how to play.
what you do in tribes is you use the speed of your falling momentum to propel yourself fast and far. and use explosions in the right moment.

what's the alternative. nothing.

It's probably based off of a T2 map, yeah. The art style really is dependant on your personal taste, I think it's nice and relatively minimalistic and it also reminds me of Reflex Arena.

Mumble, Teamspeak, IRC, Steam. There are plenty of free public mumble servers too, but people are too stupid to use it unless it is coated in 50 flavors of web 3.0 shit.

Just fucking play Q3 or UT99.
Holy fuck.

Fast movement that doesn't require the use of exploits.
Mashing Space and all that autism is fun for a while and the speed you get is pretty fun, but it doesn't feel right most of the time and heavily detracts from the game.
A lot of people are biased towards this since they're essentially boiling frogs, but a good example to understand why these "features" are bad is to look at Chivalry and see what it's combat devolved into, thanks to exploits being mandatory to stand a chance against veteran players.

Instead, an higher base move speed for everyone, an ability to dodge for quick short burst movement with a slow cooldown to require timing from you and full 6-axis movement (because Gimbal lock will ruin your fun with vertical combat) coupled with a gameplay gimmick of your choice for your character:
Grappling Hook, for map-dependant bursts of speed.
Wings, that require you're in constant movement or you are either slowly falling or hovering in place.
Jump Boots, that let you jump 5 times as higher as anyone else and kick walls for large boosts of speed.
Gripping Boots that let you walk upon any surface ala Alien and give you an higher base move speed too.

Do you know why QC is controversial?

I play Xonotic, and pretty much the reason why new or "normal" players would get demolished is primarily because of map knowledge and (their often complete lack of) map control tactics. Though it helps, in most cases its not the sheer ability to move faster than the opponent. Additionally, any skill-based game, a veteran or generally more trained player is going to win. It tends to be in arena shooters that the skill difference is more represented than the conventional shooter because in the latter generally players get killed faster or more easily. In arena shooters, that's simply not the case and characters can sustain far more damage and retreat far more effectively.

Quake and most derivative games have a grappling hook, but maybe have different gimmicks and conditions attached.

Sounds like Xonotic's buff called Flight (shows up in casual modes or maps).

Boost jumping is essentially what rocket jumping does albeit its a health-mobility trade off.

Late response but here is a bit of what I have done. I am almost done with it. It's feels a bit weird mentioning Half chan or reddit but it's important for the games history I think.

What's your channel?

Because the skills don't actually affect the game that much to begin with since if they did it would be a bitch to balance it when it's mostly 1v1 deathmatch anyway.
And because Health\Shield\Speed amount is what defines a character far more than his gimmick which ruins every non Heavy Armor character except for the single one whose gimmick ability is actually usefull.

I'm not asking for some cloaking ability or a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher, but rather you pick what type of movement you prefer before the game starts and play along with it.

A very important part of map knowledge has to do with movement and every new avenue open for you once you master a specific type of movement. Unreal Tournament for instance has a very large amount of verticality once you master boost dodging and start taking notive of those small ramps, finnaly figuring out their actual purpose.

It's not so much that moving faster alone let's you dominate the game, it's that moving faster means you can cover all the important pickups faster, as well as picking up weapons\ammo and shield\health boosts far better than your oponent, so in the end speed still plays a role just as important as map knowledge considering they multiply each other for your total effectiveness.

From someone that can move far faster and better than them, let's not forget that.

Veterans are supposed to be at an advantage due to their experience of course, but this runs paralell to what I was talking about. If the mechanism by which you gain the upper hand doesn't feel right and intuitive, learning it and even using it is never gonna feel natural and fun, especially when you're talking about several months of practice before you're decent with it.
Sure, the speed you get from bunnyhoping and strafejumping and all the other tricks is pretty fun. But learning how to do that is a chore that makes you feel like a crippled retarded autist during the whole process and the logic behind it is not only completely lost for anyone that doesn't much care about math, the link it has with gameplay doesn't even make any sense.
This is why I mentioned Chilvary, because it's a far simpler case to analyze and it's still mostly the same thing: an unintuitive combination of inputs that grants you an advantage over your oponents that you either learn or you'll always be at a disadvantage.

And this is why I say remove it entirely and instead replace it with movement gimmicks that are intuitive to learn how to use, have lots of room for training and learning how to use them and don't relly on actually bugged mechanics.
Titanfall seems to have garnered a crowd with it's many parkour movements for instance, gameplay elements that are relatively simple to understand and pick up on but take a lot of practice to master it's uses, where as something like bunnyhoping is the reverse, something that takes a lot of time to understand and pick up on but afterwards it's uses are relatively trivial.

I don't like shilling my stuff (that's probably why I only have 300 subs) but read the filename.

xonotic

I remember you. You probably don't have any subs because you don't make videos about shit normalfags care about. Make top 5 Overwatch memes or Destiny conspiracy theories if you want to get popular. Once you finally start getting subs start sucking dev dick to get early copies of games.

I didn't say mobillity didn't help. I should explicitly say, there are many new players or long time untrained players that walk past, do not contest, or punish going for important items. There's a massive misconception that its all about action and reflex when there's more than that involved; they rage quit and blame their lack of aiming ability. They don't take advantage of wallbangs in Xonotic, nor the little ramps.
One of the weapons (bouncy trigger mines) makes it straightforward to punish someone charging forward and retreat, yet they still fall for rush tactics. And the teleporters that don't propagate weapons fire, is obviously going to help in getting away without the risk of having a rocket coming through it.

And the rest about bunnyhopping. I got the concept down within a session, and raced with others. There's a tangible benefit and very clear improvements. Much like
So I really don't agree with the several months statement or calling it more arduous than it is. It's not a bug in Xonotic either, and its intentionally programmed for it. It's not too unlike a lot of gameplay aspects in Devil May Cry were originally bugs from a beta of another game i.e resisting gravity when you attack or shoot.

UT4 is cancer. The devs listen to the forums and the forums are filled with loud casual retards. The hardcore players don't play UT4 because of how shit it is. I think you can customize server settings to get something resembling good old UT, but the defaults are pure fucking cancer.

Anyway the old UT games and Q3A are still played, so just load one of those up. Other than that, I heard okay things about Xonotic.

No offense but you talk like a fag. You have a very soft-spoken, mildly high-pitched voice which is both slightly annoying and easy to stop paying attention to. You should brush up on your elocution. Find yourself some guides on elocution (youtube videos are probably better, because you can actually hear the person giving you advice and copy him better or otherwise notice if he is shit and giving shit advice), because if you make narrated videos you'd best have a speaking style that is good to listen to.

Aren't the most popular youtubers high pitched faggots? I can't stand the voice (or content) of The game theory faggot but millions of people are drawn to him and his high pitched /x/ tier creepy pasta bullshit.

Fuck if I know who the "most popular youtubers" are supposed to be, but I rather doubt that it helps. I know this is the kind of voice where unless the guy has something seriously interesting to say I'm already skipping on to the next video/stream/whatever. I doubt I'm alone in this.

Remove the part about your driver's license. No one worth your or your viewers' time gives a fuck about whether you have a driver's license or not. If that's supposed to be a self-deprecating joke, you failed, it's not funny. If it's supposed to attract weak faggots who might be attracted to you because you have something in common, then I don't think it's going to work, because those people are probably busy playing walking simulators. Your lower pitch voice sounds fine, but when you talk at a higher pitch later in the video, it just sounds annoying and hard to listen to. I'm not a voice expert, but you could try making your voice deeper or stronger instead of changing pitch so much, if you're trying to avoid monotony.

Go back to halfchan fucking faggot

there u go, 3-4 alternatives that aren't irredeemable

brand new webm my lads

Skullgirls has good netcode