Genwunners - do they have a point?

Now, I don't want to talk about the pokemon themselves since that's been talked to death, but some design decisions that Gen 1 did that I think were done better then than later.

First of all, the rival design. Right at the start he challenges you to a fight (of course picking the pokemon stronger against yours) and then keeps being one step ahead of you, even becoming the champion. He's just much better than these wimpy "rivals" in the newer gens.

The pokemon distribution - well, they encourage actually catching pokemon instead of just powering through with your starter. Oddish is right before Misty, Diglett - before Surge, I think there was a Doduo near Erika? And of course a bunch of water mons near Blaine.

Also, the game is not as handholding as the later ones, even GSC which I love. They just drop you off. You even get told to go to the Oak's lab - and then that he wasn't there. You are supposed to figure out where to go by yourself - pretty much absent from the newer generations.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. There's just a couple of excellent design decisions with Gen 1 that partially determined its success. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

serebii.net/stadium2/minigames.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally the only problem with Gen 1 is that it's buggy as shit, and that's exclusively because they were going into unexplored territory and pushing the hardware to its limits.
Design-wise gen 1 are the games with the most thought and the newer games are still riding on the fame of these first ones, no matter if you like it or not.

To understand the difference between gen 1 and later you only need to play red/blue for a few hours and then start a new game in firered/leafgreen. The handholding is immense and it's not even as bad as it gets later in the franchise.

Crystal was the last pokemon game I ever played. How does it rank compared to the newer games?

There are some things Gen 1 did right and a lot of things wrong, but I agree with you that there are things the player is expected to figure out on his own or is challenged by the game but not without reason, and these things are lacking from later games. The rival's been a pussy since Gen 4(Wally is at least challenging by the final fight) and the railroading is the worst it has ever been. They made an entire region about small islands with one possible path to follow on all of them. Gen 1, at least through oversight, allowed you to choose which of two gyms to challenge at one point, and there was never a time where an NPC stopped you at every point to give you a verbal handjob and tell you where to go and what to do next.

Also, that might not be a common opinion, but I love the fact that a TM is one-use. Because it forces you to decide which Pokemon to spend it on. They could have made it infinite AFTER the game, if they cared about online. But for the duration of the game, it should stay single-use.

I know you said the point wasn't the Pokemon themselves, but I just wanted to share this leaked image of Gen 8's new Mega Evolution for Lugia.

:^)

The rivals being shit is the biggest turn-off about the newer games. I want that good old gen 1&2 style rival who is a huge asshole, is better than you and he knows it. And when it comes to the handholding, I can almost guarantee that the only reason why the original games don't have so much is because they were too busy getting the game to work.
I wish someone would make a Pokemon knockoff that has all the quality-of-life stuff from the newer games but all the good shit about gen 1. Sadly, Pokemon's brand is so fucking huge that if anyone tried to make this they'd probably get lynched by rabid fanboys.

If only they made designs this cool, this is something close to what I've always wanted as a kid.

There's probably a hack out there somewhere that has just that. I might try to find one.

except your wrong, the stat formula was so broken that you could power through the game with one pokemon that was just super overleveled

Map design it's hands down the best, once you get the water bottle to give to the police officer the map becomes a giant + for most main locations around that point in the game when it finally opens up till badge 7 and 8 which are closer to the beginning of the game. Most recent games are literal railroading circles when gen 1 let you do 3-4 gyms in almost any desired order.
Legendary pokemon are designed out of the way instead of being part of the plot allowing more focus on the main goal of the game which is to get the badges, this makes actually going out the way for the ice cave and the power plant to find the 2 birds in them feel extra accomplishing because you never had to go there but you went into bonus dungeons and are rewarded with chances to catch some strong birds and mewtwos post game dungeon added to that since it's you still playing after credits and doing something harder then the main game to get this super good pokemon.
The villain team is just there and never pushed in your face to learn their motivation and just stop them when you happen to find them along the story, in gen 4 you had to faff about going to multiple lakes and then climb a shit mountain to fight a team that recruits trainers with level 40+ Wurmples isn't enjoyable.
Difficulty wise I think it's the hardest main game since I'm always high 30's to low 40's when the elite 4 start out like level 53ish when in later games I seem to match or outclass the elite four in levels.
HM's were more tolerable in this game since surf and fly were pretty good moves for the main story (INB4 muh fly isn't good in competitive as if I implied that) but also being the first game it could be tied to a meh idea and not a cancer idea that the series held on to and continued to make worse for like 20 years.
Issues I'd say it has are mostly due to shoddy and less optimized coding leading to glitched attacks and the like and also why gen 2 can fit a large amount of gen 1 in it.
As an RPG series I've always thought pokemon as below average due to baby level dungeons and small movepools but gen 1 sure seemed like the one where all the best and open ideas for how to design the games went into past just tossing more types or forms onto the fire in a desperate attempt to re balance it.

"Genwunners are right about almost everything" - Gunpei Yokoi

Heh, tell that to the kid I knew 12 years ago that tried to beat the Elite Four's Agatha with just his level 75 Venusaur. And Lance was remaining after that. Maybe he's still trying.

Not that I don't think it's possible. But it's much easier with a varied team. And Venusaur has it the hardest at the end because just too much shit resists grass.

This whole post is gold.
Yes, the legendary bosses being part of optional dungeons instead of crammed down your throat is great. They're legendary, the word implies that they may or may not even exist. So them being bonus content is the only way to go about it that's satisfying.
Team Rocket are just gangsters, and that's great. All these teams who want to alter the fabric of existence or whatever just seem like Saturday morning cartoon villains and are frankly unnecessary. Just put Team Rocket in every game.
Pokemon had great promise. I just wish it would have grown up with it's fans. What I'd want for Pokemon at this point is to have a SMT/Persona type split. Have your baby bitch version, then have your man's version.

I think the franchise has always aimed at kids and benefited from adults playing as well.
It just happens modern casual kids don't want challenge. It's a cycle- the kid buys more challenging games because they heard/know Pokemon is easy, Game Freak know not to sell to the more challenging crowd because they can't compete, so they make Pokemon single player adventure easy.

It's in the same boat as Animal Crossing now (for the adventure). You don't play it to be challenge. You play for nostalgia and something to chill out. The fact the game then tries to keep the (broken) complex meta multiplayer then gives it a serious dissonance. Yet it works- people buy the game for the multiplayer or the adventure- but rarely both.

The (non autistic) fan hacks are cool. Sometimes.
And there are monster collecting RPGs out there. They either try to do their own thing, or try to be even more casual than Pokemon.

There are Gen I and Gen II disassemblies, and people have shown how easy it is to edit and add completely original stuff to them. Really you could make your own ideal Pokemon game easily in them, whiel including pretty much anything you want from the newer games. 60 FPS, Phsyical/Special, Abilities, and so much more.

Only bit I'd disagree with is the gym order. Due to the levels of wild Pokes and trainers, you were sort-of encouraged to do them in order. But there's nothing to stop you grinding and doing them out of order, or catching a higher level mon early.
However, you'd then get a gym leader who's much easier. Without some serious flag schenanigans, you couldn't make it so the "any order" gym leaders/wild Pokemon/trainers change their levels and get easier/harder depending on who you beat.

One of the few good things Sun/Moon did was bring back a rival that was hostile towards you. Gladion was a weaker Silver, but at least he was trying to be a rival.

Wasn't that faggy Kahuna's son kid supposed to be your rival?

And while we're on the topic of S/M, Sun and Moon takes too fucking long for everything.
Oh you want to walk over there? Well guess fucking what, read all this fucking text first and go somewhere else.
Oh now you want to grind some levels?
Well tough shit, I hope you can sit through all these useless animations that sometimes lag like crazy if there's more than 2 pokemon on screen.

Why are pokemon games so fucking bloated with useless shit these days.

Its all downhill from there. Ruby and saphire are good but after that its all shit.

S/M being rather shitty on the 3DS is what is now causing them to move to the Switch for US/UM.

the pokemon design is undeniably at its best in generation 1.

Does anyone seriously believe this?

Crystal is the best in the series.

Most rivals do that too, even the more recent ones are ahead of you in some way or form. Barry comes to mind mostly as he's always rushing off ahead.

Again, most pokemon games done that too. If anything, the stat distributions in Gen 1 made it so that it was more viable to rush through with your starter being overlevelled since Gen 1 is the most "Fair" out of the games. Your Venusaur can tank a fire blast from Arcanine at Blanes Gym. The sheer level of the gyms as well encourages you to use one pokemon that can match the levels and spam potions rather than having a team of 6 underlevelled pokemon.

I'll even come with an example for each later game of them doing the distribution with the gym in mind

G/S/C - You can catch Geodudes and Onix before Bugsy in the cave, however, even if you didn't catch them, you can still get Spearow and Pidgey in the route prior to Azalea.

R/S/E - Mossdeep city is surrounded by water types, if you fish you can get Sharpedo which completely distroys Mosdeep gym.

D/P/Pt - Route 213, as a high Abra and Kadabra encounter rate, which, the next gym is Fighting types

B/W - Prior to Icirrus city, you go through Twist Mountain which is home to various Fighting and Rock types, used to take out the later Ice type gym.

B2/W2 - Magnemite, if you've played the game then you'll know what I mean

X/Y - Route 13 is a desert based route where you can catch Dugtrio, Trapinch and Gible right before battling an Electric gym.

Su/Mo - Prior to Po Town, the nearby routes have a high encounter chance with Fearow, Graveler (which is Elec/Rock for Su/Mo) and even Skarmory which is a build up to Guzma who uses Bug types.

The bad bit is that in the later games you miss out on the good bits that allows you to learn a type as well within the safety of nearby routes and thus makes gym battles a test of what you know, which in R/B doesn't really happen. Prior to Brock, Misty and even LT Surge there was a very limited amount of pokemon that are Rock, Water and Electric respectively that the player can catch and learn the type and it's various strengths and weaknesses.

Btu then that's "level scaling." Doesn't everyone hate that? I get what you're trying to say, and I come to the same conclusion much of the time. Maybe if they got more Pokemon, and evolved the ones they have, it'd be okay then?

>The game that runs on an engine designed not to use the N3DS's CPU to run better is what caused them to consider the Switch
I'm not sure what the fuck GameFreak was thinking when they did that.

Is there any game more technically advanced or large in scale than pokemon on the gameboy?

The only good thing the later games had in their favor was the fuckable mons, which even they became sparse in Gen 7. Mechanically, it stopped progressing afyer abilities and the stat split, and every future game has been forced to be compatible with previous games, for the worst.

The only reason to do that is for the Gotta Catch Em All! (tm) meme and even then it's not an achievement anymore, but an exercise is clicking OK on menus until your fingers bleed (since you cant natively encounter half the old legendaries now anyways)

I'm playing Yellow at the moment because I'm bored. Critical hit moves will most likely critical hit 90% of the time, I mean a Primeape I got has Karate Chop and it crits every attack. It's a shame it took them five fucking gens to actually allow lower level pokemon to beat higher level instead of spamming substitute or something.

Sun was a fucking slog, but I won't lie that I'm enjoying the Battle Tree for once.
Online for a while as well, but I need to ditch my competitive team and make more fun shit like on showdown.

Yeah- the best solution is what everyone hates. Boss sig mons should be a much higher level IMO- so you have to use healing items or buffs (which break the game). That, or make Gyms lock players in until they beat everything or start over a'la Elite 4 but with puzzles. Maybe even ban/limit healing items during or between battles to make it a test of endurance as well.
That or give every gym-leader X-All.

Who's that artist?

Personally, I prefer Sapphire and Silver.

They kinda have a point

Gen 1 has been completely surpassed by the later games. Held items, abilities, quirky moves like Flying Press, weather, terrain and new types make the newer games more interesting in terms of pure battling. Gen 1's system was really weird, with the unified special stat and crits being tied to speed. It's still competent for a single player game, but I'd rather battle others in the later ones

Gen 1 is mostly hands-off. Characters tell you where to go, and you can go there whenever you want. Team Rocket show up when they need to, but otherwise you don't have to focus on the story too much. The later games started to railroad the protagonist into a specific direction, and this is at it's worst in gen 7. I remember having my mind blown as a kid when I decided to use Surf to the right of New Bark Town in Pokemon Gold and found Kanto, and it made me want to get Waterfall so much faster. There's nothing like that in the later games.

Gen 1 was the first Pokemon game, so there was no precedent for what a pokemon is supposed to be. They made a bunch of designs on their own, and those designs were pretty good. Later games have a lot of good designs too, but sometimes it feels like they're retreading older designs instead of coming up with original stuff See the early game bird and rodent. It's kinda like how the old Simpsons episodes were written by writers who wanted to make a comedic cartoon, and the new episodes were written by writers who wanted to write Simpsons episodes.

Gen 1 had the 3 birds, Mew and Mewtwo. The birds don't do shit, and just lounge around just out of reach of the path you'd normally take. Mew and Mewtwo actually have some backstory, and are much more interesting.
In comparison gen 7 has a quartet of legends that are commonly referenced by the NPCs. They're not just useful in battle, their abilities let you build an entire team around them. They actually take part in the story too.
And then you get the proper legend, which is about as neat as Mewtwo. They've got lore, they're hyped up and they're fun in competitive.

I see Pokemon and it's sequels the way I see Portal and Portal 2. In Portal's case, the first one was a budget pack-in with other games, and was just supposed to be a pretty neat puzzle game. Portal 2 went all out and ended up with a much more flashy story, but it lost a lot of the charm the first game had. It was less about a single character at the mercy of a mysterious computer, and more about a tour of Aperture while being hounded by an angry woman with a text-to-speech program.
In the same way, gen 1 and 2 laid the foundations for a great franchise, but the later games built the franchise in a way that neglected a lot of what made the original games great. The later games are objectively better, but we sacrificed a lot of potential for it. An open map, a basic villain team that isn't trying to destroy the world, more ambitious designs, the ability to discover the world for yourself and a cocky rival that isn't constantly trying to be your friend. Gen 2 had a proper day/night cycle, weekly events, a radio you could tune in to, and a pokemon that could turn berries into rare candies. Those features were removed in the later games, and only some of them have returned.

If anyone here is a genwunner, at least go and play Pokemon Crystal. The graphics and music are more refined compared to gen 1, the mechanics are much more competent, and a lot of gen 2's designs were supposed to be in the original series anyway. There's weekly events, a radio station, the ability to rebattle trainers you already beat, and you can go back to Kanto 3 years after the first game and see what changed.

user….why would you do this…?

They're pretty averaged out and due to the distance the higher level path takes you by the time you end it your team should be back in the threshold of the higher gyms.
I understand why you'd think that but the EXP missed from going down from lavender over left isn't that much, the path leading to Erika is like super short without many trainers (except one for the old variant of the mew glitch) due to skipping the town between lavender to get to it first trip, but going down makes you travel multiple routes that you'd have had to anyway so the path still pushes you to the needed level, also I feel this is thought through since Koga's team is 2 unevolved mons first as freebies with a bad movepools all around his party while Erika the lower level one has a fully evolved team with much stronger all around attacks. Also someone thought they should give Koga's Weezing self destruct which if I remember the AI right it will always pick due to it having the highest attack value unless the target is weak to poison so his boss pokemon just blows up and Sabrina you have to go through a team rocket at the office building on top so the exp from that + rival + Giovanni again pushes you to the needed level for her.

i know, but the new games just don't have the same "feel"
They make me take "grumpy Dumpies"

Are you severely retarded?

I think the point is that after Gen 1 and Gen 2 you're probably going to be over it and anything newer just feels off. You grow out of it into other better vidya. I mean damn it, Runescape was just exploding back then.

how to know someones opinion is reddit-tier and useless, I'm surprised you didn't compare the games to food as well

Holy shit. Intentional or not- that's pretty cool.
Saved that image as well.

no they don't. I played Yellow recently cleared it with a starter team under the E4's level and was annoyed constantly by how brainless the AI was whenever it threw out a status inflicting attack against my already poisoned/paralyzed/sleeping pokemon.
Pic related, despite the ass-backwards means of unlocking it, and the expansive content in the post-game are the reasons why B2W2 is the only correct choice in "what is the best mainline pokemon game?"

Just look on e621 its probably listed

Am I finally free?

I quit during Gen 5- and 6 pulled me back in.
You either change your tastes and become truely free, or play it casually.

I've not played since gen 2; I've tried a few of the GBA ones on an emulator but couldn't stomach the length of the tutorial.

Crystal is widely considered to be the pinnacle of the series. Gen 2 is a pure upgrade of Gen 1 and Crystal is a pure upgrade of Gold/Silver.

Out of curiosity, what "Pokémon clones" are out there that are actually pretty good? The only ones to my knowledge is the Spectrobes trilogy and the Megami Tensei spin-off mentioned below.

You mean like Devil Children/DemiKids (There was even a TCG game for the GBC)?

Not yet. What about the GC games?

Only Diamond and Pearl. Platinum and HGSS were some of the greatest.

Gen 2 is Gen 1 as it was meant to be. Gen 2 fixes most of what is broken in Gen 1 as well as adding the pokemon and features they tried to get into Gen 1 but were unable to or lacked the time. To say that Gen 1 is the best gen is nothing but nostalgiafaggotry of the worst kind.

Whoops, linked to the wrong post.

What did Crystal add besides the Suicune sideplot?

Battle Tower, which is huge

I forgot that existed. I only got one game per generation, and mine was Silver.

Because the artists at gamefreak have no idea what they're doing when it comes to 3D.

Same for me. It didn't have enough added if you already had Silver/Gold, but it would make zero sense to go back and play either of them when Crystal is literally the same game with an expansion.

It's easy to forget it, but gameplay-wise it's huge. It adds an in-game battle facility. Remember in Gen 1 you could reach a point where the only in-game trainers to fight are the Elite 4. Which is pathetic and leads to a lot of problems. Crystal and Gen 2 rectified this by working to add stuff like Battle Tower, and Trainer Rematches.

Also I highly recommend Pokemon Stadium/2, they add so much to the experience. Think of them like expansions mainly for post-game.

LET ME GO WHERE I WANT, GOD DAMNED

I mostly play Pokemon for the adventure. Catch some cool looking buddies and then head out to explore and battle. I don't care about type matchups and the deeper mechanics and whatnot so I can enjoy most of the newer games. Even Sun/Moon, but BOY OH BOY they just wouldn't stop talking at the beginning.

I absolutely hate how hand-holdy it was at the very beginning. They taught me the basics, fine, but then they have to send me through a fucking school building. Like come the fuck on, Game Freak.

I missed out on the DS games, but I've heard Black/White and Black/White 2 were good. I also missed out on Heartgold and Soulsilver. I could emulate but for some reason I don't feel motivated to play games I emulate.

Every time they bring out a new Pokemon generation they have a ton of girl characters that are lovely though.

People put way too much weight on the rival character when the only fight with them that is an actual challenge is the very first one, after that they're all extremely easy.

when I was younger I thought it'd be hype to have the moon as a location with a gym to challenge.

Is it worth resetting the game and doing round one again with a real team? Is it as fun as it sounds, fighting everyone with your ingame pokemon? Can I evolve Pikachu in Yellow through stadium?

No, outside of a few fuckups, the new games are plain and simply superior to the old ones.

I just wish Gyms were more useful, like… For training and shit. Maybe even learning moves early, and a non luckofthedraw ev training method that doesnt take all of the times.

I dare you to name a good Crystal romhack, because I'm bored.

Also, Im mostly into it for the porn now. Cant even watch some cartoons anymore….

Why would you want to evolve it? Then is just becomes a regular pokemon.

Yeah, I always thought little hidden stuff like that would be cool, but I've changed my mind after experiencing UBs and Ultra Space.

Beause after a while Pikachu starts jobbing hard compared to the rest of your team, but I can't bring myself to replace him.

Your Pokemon do not evolve or level up in Stadium. It's basically a game revolving mostly around battling, which is what the main games lack and run out of. It can get pretty challenging at times, and it's much harder than the main games. There are also some interesting challenges at some points.

Stadium 1 has a nice addition in that with it you can get a lot of Pokemon by defeating the game, such as the starters, fossils, and of course Surfing Pikachu, which can be used for a Minigame in Yellow, and a unique surfing sprite in Y/G/S/C.

Aside from that, there's a lot of other nice quality of life stuff in the games, such as a huge Pokemon Storage system letting you save loads of Pokemon (Letting you restart a game cartridge without losing your Pokemon), and of course the Minigames. Stadium 2 even lets you use your Pokemon in the minigames, letting you use Pokemon normally unusable such as Scizor in the woodcutting game.

That's pretty cool. Is there a full compatiblity list for what pokemon you can use in Stadium 2's minigames?

I still have a fetish for on model female Machop/Machoke/Machaml mons.

Although I hate Lucario with an unlimited passion, because its the Fursuit pokemon.

You know of another RPG as big as Pokemon on original Gameboy?

I think the thing that killed ruby/saphire for me was the sheer lack of content compared to the last 3, really seemed like, after pushing the gameboy to it's absolute limits in terms of space, Game Freak kind of just phoned it in, which judging by the unused content, may actually be the case.

is this feature only accessible via the cartridge? i never tried playing with the cartridge via the controller for more than a little bit, but i did play the actual N64 game quite a bit and im not sure if i ever came across that feature
is this an extra option unveiled in the cartridge itself if its being played with the N64?

He was similar to Dawn/Lucas in DPPt or Shauna in XY, he picked the mon weak to your starter so he was more of an ally character. Gladion doesn't get one of the three starters but his Silvally uses whichever type of the FWG trio is SE on yours, and he plays a more antagonistic role, so he's generally considered the rival.

serebii.net/stadium2/minigames.shtml

Basically any Pokemon in a Minigame you can use your own in, and some Pokemon can only be used in a Minigame if you own it. Also it uses the color pallete it normally has, so if it has a name that gives it a unique Stadium color it uses that, and if it's Shiny it uses that.

I don't know the specifics of it sadly, you'd have to experience around yourself.

Damn it. I'm angry at Capcom again now, for having cancelled Mega Man Legends 3.

HAHAHAH, No.

This is always a thing, hell, in BW you get to battle two times since you get to battle Bianca and Cheren. Also, there are more reports of people losing to Hau (Mid game, mind you) than people loosing or having troubles with Blue. S&M for the most Part really, really, really easy thought but if want to compare teams, Blue's Champion team was shit. I suppose you do have some to grind against May but that is the only case that comes to mind. I don’t remember how it goes in G4 thought.

Again, this is always the case. Hell, BW fucks with the player by telling them that Elesa is an electric gym leader and that he should use Ground types, she has 2 Pokémon that take no damage from said type.

This is one is true but only for G6 and S&M

Perfect aesthetic 👌

Oh, he's that other faggy kid who dresses like Coldsteel the edgeheg, and works for team wigger

What is that one black and white 2 ROM hack that makes the game harder and all Pokémon in that gen and below obtainable?

god you're pathetic.

Blaze Black/Volt White.

Thanks

Gen 1 had some glaring programming flaws (most notably focus energy, AI move choice and Ghost type) but most things that are considered 'broken' about it were intentional and the scaling and pacing of the game was designed like a traditional RPG, with early and late game party members, some that last you the whole way and some you are meant to trade out, moves that only some special pokemon learn and other features. A lot of people say Gen 2 is best, and I'm on the fence. It certainly brought a lot of elements into play that helped balance the game.
Have some bait.

Spotted the underage.

When I was a kid the fucker was the third strongest on my team, after Alakazam and Mewtwo. Just overlevel him a bit.

That sure looks familiar

You mean when you got a level 100 from a friend and you couldn't do anything with it because he was so overleveled that he refused to follow your orders?

You can do that in every single pokemon game.

I know because that's exactly what I do in every single pokemon game. You never even need to grind. My autism demands that I don't faint a single wild pokemon. But I just make sure I fight every single trainer, and that all the EXP goes to my starter. I also don't use items, including TMs. Just make sure you pick good moves for your pokemon, and don't pick a shit starter to begin with, and this works in literally every pokemon game.

So you dislike handholding and railroading but you like fucking Hoenn?

I bet you also liked that Gen III removed more damn features than it added. I bet you liked having to re-buy games that everyone already owned, just so you could trade to Ruby and Sapphire and "catch 'em all".

BW2 is hampered significantly by the fact that you won't get full enjoyment out of it without playing BW first, but also so much of BW2 is from BW1 that it gets fucking boring just doing the exact same shit again. The new shit is cool but it's not enough.

I hated Gen III and it made me stop playing the newer games. More recently I forced myself to go through all of them. III is the worst, and 4 is awesome. The ones after it are all meh.

Gen I has several bits that talk about how Pokemon are seemingly from space. Then that's not really picked up on in later entries. Pretty disappointing.

Do script
Compare number of badges
Load trainer battle based on badges number
Begin loaded fight

It's a really simple compare and jump.

God, fucking this. I can barely tolerate crystal with those dumbass animations at the start of every fight you have to watch a million times during the playthrough, but modern pokemon takes longer to start a battle than the length of gen1 battles! It's fucking unplayable without emulator speedup.

< III is the worst, and 4 is awesome
Why'd you have to put that so late into your post? you could've saved me so much time not reading it if you prefaced it with that.

There is no reason to like Gen III. It not only added less than Gen II, it removed more shit than it added. Just an absolute mess. I would have been justifiable if it was the first game in the series, because then you couldn't tell that it removed so much shit. The only people who like it best are underage faggots who missed out on the initial Pokemon fad and played this first.

4 finally re-adds most of the shit III removed. Still has a couple problems, like the Pokedex is still shit like III, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

What did Gen3 remove from Gen2?

Trading from previous generations.
That was it.

What the fuck is it with Pokemon fans always being whiny cunts when confronted with opinions they don't agree with? Like seriously these people are an untapped goldmine of autism and hilarity that actually rivals, if not surpasses the autism of Sonic. Go to an official Pokemon YouTube video and look at how the fans respond to negative comments.

Pokemon is comfy but the gameplay is kind of flawed. I've moved on from actually playing it seriously and now I just kind of appreciate it as a culture and as some kind of comfort franchise. I was never really a fan of how the game is balanced strangely to the point where using one Pokemon too much can completely destroy any semblance of challenge; they gotta do some better shit. I've more or less moved onto just playing Mystery Dungeon now; it fixes a lot of shit by entirely changing the gameplay. I'd honestly rather play Monster Rancher or SMT or some shit now; Digimon looks pretty cool too but I haven't really tried it yet. Pokemon was incredibly impressive and cool on the Gameboy and still pretty neat on the GBA, and then pretty alright on the DS, but now that we're at the 3ds and it's still playing like it's a Gameboy game but with just a few new tricks or whatever; it's kind of meh now and, again, I'd rather be playing Mystery Dungeon if I'm actually going to sit down seriously with a Pokemon game and not just play something for it to be comfy.

The Morning/Day/Night cycle and days of the week.

Backwards compatibility. Because of this, you literally couldn't catch em all. You had to re-buy Gen I again but for GBA, even though they were the best selling games of all time, so everyone already had them, and they only came out like five years earlier. Then you still can't actually do it. You need to buy a Gamecube, a GC/GBA Link Cable, and two gamecube games. All this because they took out the backwards compatibility. We took it for granted in II, not only getting all the pokemon, but trading over your bros from the previous game. Then III removed it. And to make it worse, they didn't actually come up with a new Pokedex, they just sprinkled in old ones with new ones, and reordered the Pokedex to fit. At least in II, the old ones were there because you actually could get all the old ones, plus a bunch of new ones.

Actually continuing the story of the previous games.

Going back to previous regions. (I know you'll get mad about wanting this one, but it was fucking cool as shit in II, and super disappointing to see nothing like it in III)

II took I and added a whole bunch of shit to it. III not only didn't add on to II, it removed a bunch that II had.

Gen 2 had weekly events, like how you could get a Lapras at Union Cave on Friday. Gen 3 doesn't track the day of the week, so it can't do that.
In gen 2, when it's night time the game actually looks darker. Gen 3 was always bright, and time tracking was only used for the tides in Shoal Cave.
Gen 2 had the radio stations you could tune into. It's not that big a feature but it made the world feel a little more interesting.
There's also the whole going back to the last game at the end. We only had gen 2 to go on, so a lot of people were expecting that.
There's Gameboy Printer support, but I never knew anyone with one of those so that isn't a big deal.

To gen 3's credit, it was the first game where if you caught a pokemon and had a full box it would place it in the next one. It also gave us abilities, and brought proper attention to weather effects. It also introduced trainers who would run around and challenge you, which caught me by surprise the first time it happened. Battle Frontier is pretty cool too.

It was also creepy as fuck when you tuned into certain stations in certain locations and got weird messages and ominous music.

Digimon games are all over the place. They're all sorts of different genres, even ones that are within the same "series." (The "Digimon World" games are all entirely different genres.) The entries that are closest to Pokemon style collecting games (but with grid combat) are Japan only, and they also happen to be the only ones that directly tie into the anime, and the anime is the best part of the franchise anyway.

That said, if you're into top tier autism, Digimon is your bet. EVERYTHING is canon. And it results in an incredibly deep and complex mythology and world. But the games themselves are hit and miss.

I play Pokemon seriously and competitively.

That sounds like entire internet

RSE actually had time, just not pallets for it. FRLG removed even that because they wanted to be faithful to the original for some reason. Days of the week was a crappy removal, not sure why aside from not wanting to run the save battery dry or something.

I'm a big faggot about the Pokedex, so let me school you on it. See, in Gen 2, there was the Old Dex and the New Dex. In Gen 3 there was the National Dex and the Regional Dex. These are both the exact same thing. As for backwards compatibility, I'm not sure if the GBA and GB(C) could properly link up, but I am sure that they took that into consideration when they decided to change the entire Pokemon data structure from the one in previous games to the modern structure established in Gen 3 (which is objectively better in every way).

If you know your Pokemon lore, RSE takes place at the same time as Gen 1, and the remakes can only do so much with that sort of thing.

Again, it only got in due to a shenanigan involving massive space on the cart (thanks Iwata).

Again, new data structure, which allowed abilities to be added. Expanded berry system. A box system that wasn't the most retarded shit on earth. Sharing data in new ways (mixing records, for the record). An entirely new battle format that is still used today in official competetive Pokemon. New stuff that every Pokemon game adds (items, Pokemon, weird gimmick machine, side things like contests and secret bases., ect.) but all the old stuff is actually there, you just didn't get it all in one game which I guess you can be upset about if you really want. Really, the only objectively bad thing about RSE are the fucking terrible overworld sprites, FRLGs were much better.

(You)

I know what you're getting at, but the fact that I could get some old pokemon and not others bothered the fuck out of me in III. In II, the New Dex existed to keep new evolutions to old Pokemon next to the old ones, but all the old ones were still there. You could still catch em all. In III, the New Dex just rearranged things for seemingly no reason. Just they were too lazy to make a whole new Pokedex and threw random old ones in there to fill it out, as opposed to II, which had all the old ones and then added more onto them.

GBA could play GB/C games anyway

but I am sure that they took that into consideration when they decided to change the entire Pokemon data structure from the one in previous games to the modern structure established in Gen 3 (which is objectively better in every way).
If you're a tourneyfag, maybe. I just wanted to continue to enjoy this series of adventure RPGs the way I was before. But they removed one of the coolest parts about the previous game, for the sake of some shit I didn't care about.

Also, I bet they could have found a way around this if they thought about it. A way to determine stats of old ones traded to new games and new ones to old games. And a similar thing for battles.

I know the lore, but really the only reason to say it's the same time as Gen I is because you can trade with the remakes without the Time Machine from II. In reality, all that's happening is you're playing a story with no connections to the stuff that you've already grown attached to in previous games. In Gen II, even though you're playing as a new guy in a new land, it's interesting to see how the world has changed and how things you were introduced to have evolved. To see what happened to Team Rocket after their defeat. A whole bunch of new pokemon being discovered, and even eggs being discovered. Gen III then changes all this so everyone always knew about eggs. Frankly, I see Gen III as a reboot, since it invalidates stuff from the old games, and the remakes keep the changes.

Reboots are fine, but the thing is, it's a waste. They could have used the attachment I grew to things in the earlier games to make me care more about things in this game. Gen II did it and it worked very well. Gen III didn't, so I gave significantly less of a shit.

Yeah, I got it back in games after III, which had to re-add all the stuff III removed. That makes III objectively shit.

All that, and then the one thing you say is "objectively bad" is a completely subjective opinion.

I just want to add the fact that the virtual console pokemon have the ability to transfer pokemon with the old data sets into Sun/Moon. I haven't done it myself, but it exists now. Why Nintendo didn't try to figure something like that out back in the day, I will never understand. People would've complained, but the option was either some expensive peripheral/GCN """game""" transfer or nothing at all. Considering all the dumb peripheral shit they were already doing in that era, a pokemon transfer one wasn't out of the question.

The option was do exactly the same as you can do now with the Virtual Console versions, only with a Link Cable and two GBAs, so exactly like before only now with GBAs instead of GBCs.

Not only did it let you store more trainers, in Emerald you could even use it to re-fight gym leaders which is a huge upgrade.
As for apricron balls, they were kinda replaced with other new balls. They replaced a lot of items from Gen 2 if I recall. Or at least, like, 1.

Just they were too lazy to make a whole new Pokedex and threw random old ones in there to fill it out, as opposed to II, which had all the old ones and then added more onto them.
It's literally more work to decide which Pokemon to leave out in every game.

How about if you're a programmer working with the insane old Pokemon data structure. Did you know that they technically didn't attach which type a Pokemon was to it's species? Shit's fucked up man.

They did, for Gen 7 in fact. This makes me think it was a hardware issue more than anything.

A fair assumption, I'm pretty sure Satoshi Tajiri stopped directing the games after Gen 2. Part of me suspects that it was sort of an intentional "fresh start" to the series.

So you're saying you have shit taste and actually like Gen 3's overworld style? I don't know why I even bothered responding.

Basically you're upset that the game didn't cater to you specifically.

Pokemon Polished Crystal is pretty good. It's crystal with Gen 3 and 4 pokemon, natures and the physical/special split. There's also new areas to explore the locations of some pokemon have been changed around. There's also characters from the manga and anime in the game. New areas are also added and there's a shop that sells rare candies if you don't like grinding. trust me, there are some post game fights that you must grind for if you wanna stand a chance.

He meant his passive aggression.

Okay, so it wasn't lazy, it was just retarded. Either way.

I didn't know that. That's very interesting. How would that even work?

No, I dislike it too. But it's still a completely subjective factor, so I didn't list it.

In the data structure for each pokemon, there's two one-byte values that control type. If they match, it is single-typed. This allows for stuff like water-type pikachu but doesn't ever get used for anything.

Balancing and regional aesthetic come to mind. Granted, it's questionable how well Game Freak ever does either of these but I'm imagining this is the thought process. It's why, in the first non-Japan region, they decided to create an entirely new ecosystem of Pokemon. This plan kinda fell through afterward, but you can sort of see the similar thought process involved when Hoenn is much further from Johto and Kanto than those regions are from each other. Or maybe I'm overthinking it, probably that.

If it's completely subjective, why did they change it the first chance they got AND never use that style ever again?

Do you think it's used for mid-battle type changes? Like with camouflage, or reflect type.

Nope. When in battle, the team data gets copied somewhere else in a slightly different format, and THAT stuff gets updated freely.

Are any of the 3DS romhacks worth trying?

That's also an apt analogy too

The 3D models are way too high-poly for the 3DS to handle because they were made for future proofing. It's like how Colosseum re-used a bunch of Stadium 2 models except they're actually planning for it this time.

Is that also why, now that they're not using chibi models for the overworld, they're so many unused animations for Pokemon? I imagine that would be mostly for the freedom of being able to use any Pokemon in any scene (and not have to have something retarded like Macherie from ORAS) but could be useful for following Pokemon since people fucking loved that feature.

I assume so. I assume it's because either it's for future systems and recycling the engine and putting the feature in when it's on better hardware. Or alternatively, they couldn't get it to work and had to push the game out for their deadline.

Even the cartoon and the comics edged on that point. It always made me wonder why they didn't further pursue that.

What about the first three Digmon World games for the PS1?

Just before phasing out the GBC, Nintendo did release a final link cable that was compatible with transfers between a GBA and GBC.

Given that either Z was canceled or they extended SM's dev time, I'm going to assume it's more future proofing. They used the new models in GO or something didn't they? I don't have a smartphone or any interest in playing GO.

Very good games, but since all three are so different, opinions on them are all over the place. Most people seem to agree though that as long as you're into whatever genre each one of them is, then all three are very good at their respective genres.

That said, when I was a kid and heard about Digimon World coming out, I was very excited to have another pokemon-type game based on this pokemon-like anime that was way better then the actual pokemon anime. Then I find out the gameplay is nothing like Pokemon and the story has practically nothing to do with the anime. Now years later I can appreciate it for what it is. It's excellent at the gameplay it does offer, and it actually is connected to the anime in a mega autistic way (as opposed to Pokemon having a similar story that is actually a different continuity, Digimon seems unrelated but is actually the same universe).

I can understand future-proofing, but this is just outright poor modeling. It's very inefficient use of polygons, half of which are adding nothing on value. It's the kind of modeling you'd get from college kids.

Compare it to the the wireframe of Mewtwo from a recent console fighting game that still has less polygons than that monstrosity.

I know Adventures 1, 2, and Tri are sequential, with Tamers saying that all three series are just a franchise in their universe, but what about all of the other anime?

For what reason?

grow up retards, pokemon is for babies

Do you have any idea how different in aesthetic the Rumble models are from the actual 3D models seen in Gen 6? Also there might be a problem with Ambrella making them instead of Game Freak, I'm not certain.

You really wanna get me started on this? I'll try to keep it brief since it's off topic.

Essentially Digimon is a huge multiverse, and the Japanese-only Wonderswan games are the crux of it. Adventure 02 is only half a sequel to Adventure, it's also largely a sequel to the first few WonderSwan games. Then the later WonderSwan games form a link between the Adventure universe and the Tamers universe. Then there are gods and other high level characters that seem to be multiversal entities, and even have arcs that continue through different universes. Like the Four Holy Beasts are introduced in Adventure 02 and then have more focus in Tamers. And the Royal Knights are introduced in Frontier but then are central to pretty much everything after, including Tri. The Dark Masters and especially Mugendramon (Machinedramon) are a huge thing that would take forever to explain, but Machinedramon being in Digimon World and Digimon Adventure is not a case of two unrelated stories.

Go to the Digimon thread and see if they're talking about Millenniummon. They usually are. That fucker is a multiveral clusterfuck that gives characters like Mandrakk and Unicron a run for their money.

I only said it was future proofing, I didn't say it was competently executed future proofing

I don't think it makes a difference at that scale.

I've never played World 1 but I've heard it's good, 2 is my favorite but it's a grindfest, and 3 is great as well, just make you when you emulate it you get the PAL version. The US release had a lot of content cut.

no

What, are you gay?

88.1% male says you're the gay here.

No but I can tell you right now why get sexually excited over the mere mention of this creature?

I want a pokemon like game with everything but without levels.

I want natures, base stats, IVs, EVs could work the same except they would level up as you trained them against certain enemies or certain minigames ( except they would be more complex than press a a bunch or tap the screen x times), stab bonus, element types, physical and mental, held items and abilities.

Just no grinding. Effectively the entire game would be battle tower mixed wotj collectathon. There would be a bunch of independant stories too. Somewhat interwoven in parts but not necessarily.

Lastly because of no leveling the difficulty for players would be strategy and thinking.

There could be an easy mode that allows you to grind extra levels but it would basically just be a mod that attaches itself to the game as opposed to a core component

Pokemon Colosseum?

To clarify everyone starts and stays at level one but stats can increase to an extent but to a limited extent. Like 20 points max for each mon to divy up vetween stats. These would be earned and analogous to how people xam lift heavier things if they lift often.

The game would start with basic " hit them strats' to " baton switch etc".

Legendaries could not be used in pvp or against gyms

With more variety. Free foam explorations and no levels at all. Just strategy

Because she's perfect?

As well as a VATS targeting system so you could target specific parts of the monster

A pokemon game without levels would be interesting. The game usually uses levels to gate off evolutions and new moves, so you'd have to come up with alternatives.

That sounds terrible. Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

god damn it Philotes, fuck off.

Thered be fusions of monsters ( in this case think fo the dex data about shelder and slowpoke making slowbro as an example) that would grant it new moves etc maybe even extra move slots or something of that nature.

Mostly though in cases of the monster getting bigger (growlithe to arcanine) they would gain access to moves althougj you could breed tbose moves to their children so that you could fight with their baby forms against their adult forms but that would require breeding.

Maybe when they evolve the moves they have equipped increase in potency or something.

Depends on the monster.

For monsters similar to machamp then id say they would be able to hold heavier and or multiple items at the cost of not learning new moves or something.

Again evolutions would grant different abilities but not extra stats

Stones, locations/events, like in the anime how Bulbasaurs evolve into Ivysaurs by being in a certain spot in the forest on full moons or whatever

No.
I agree.
Every game has had that, though, and in all games it's pretty much even with the exception of Black 2 White 2 which excelled at that.
True, but that doesn't mean much when the journey is very railroaded.

That's a dirty lie and you know it. In order to challenge Sabrina, you have to have chased Team Rocket out of Silph Co. otherwise you can't get in.

OrAs has most of the Legendaries accessable once you got your Lati, plus you can catch Deoxys in the postgame.

What?

Also, there are more reports of people losing to Hau (Mid game, mind you) than people losing or having troubles with Blue.
Hau is that possible?

It's funny that you mention it…

Serebii confirmed, faggot.

Oh shit, you're not lying.
Holy fuck.

Newer rivals are total shit with some of them not even wanting to oppose you, but gary really was no better. Sure, his starter had an advantage over yours, he was always just ahead of you and it would always challenge you at the worst possible times, but even under these conditions he was always a chump. Having him lose every time and still act like a smug asshole makes him seem like a retard, not a threat.
Except gen 1 was by far the easiest gen to solo in. The only reason they don't use gyms or similar challenge to force you to diversify is because of the retards who thought whitneys miltank was impossible.
You know full well this is mainly because they couldn't afford to put in tons of text. And to be fair, have you seen how stupid and lazy kids are these days? Most would have zero patience for something that requires you to find shit on your own.

It's actually a bug in Sun and Moon's code, all the gender ratios got fucked all up from what they were supposed to be.

Nigga, that is not Tierno. The simple truth is that people get fucked by his Raichu. I am not kidding. Although, that is because Alolan Pokemon are just really weak and slow.

There is also a bug that makes it impossible to catch a Beldum with a Heavy Ball

No they don't. Gen 1 is an inferior game in every way to its successors. Prime case of baby duckling syndrome.

What the fuck are you even talking about? No shit more people are talking about if they lose to Hau, it's a fucking contemporary game. There wasn't much of an Internet when R/B/Y were new and even then, people aren't really compelled to go online to talk about getting their ass kicked in a game for children. The only people who wouldn't mind are the utter manchildren who actually continue to obsess over the series., which is not a demographic inclined to play gen 1 games at all.

What? If Red was a duckling it would have became a duck by the time Gold came out

Dragon Quest 3 and Monsters had backwards compatibility with the original Gameboy.

There was also that Ultima game with multiplayer.

YOU are the baby duckling. You think earlier games were better because you happened to have played them earlier. As someone who never played Pokemon games pre 2015 I can attest that RBY is a total fucking piece of shit compared to later games. In fact I can attest that every successive game is superior to the last.

Actually my fursona is a dog not a duck? Nice try sweetie

I grew up with RSE but I like the first two gens more now. Art and atmosphere-wise mainly, but still. It's only Pokefags that keep saying "YOU ONLY LIKE IT BECAUSE OF NOSTALGIA" without even realizing that people can have differing tastes. Hell, the only reason I have credence is because I happen to have played RSE earlier on and not RBY, because that's the only way people are going to take my point seriously.

It's like arguing with a liberal; you just get words thrown at you in an attempt to shut you up or some shit.

polite sage

There's a clear difference to how they handled the teams originally to how they do now, if gen 1 was gen 7 for example at cinnabar island you'd instead of now being able to access the gym after you'd be railroaded on a team rocket side quest filled with dialogue till you fight a level 40 mewtwo since the game probobly forced you in this theoretical version to have an NPC like oak or maybe the gym leader read all the lab documents to you with the design of the dungeon changed to be a straight path to make sure you couldn't miss any.

Gen 3 had some of this as well with having to go find Surf and then go and explore to find or just remember the river by Mauville where you'd start the journey to the entire rest of the game. That shit was so rewarding to figure out as a kid because the new music just basically told you "Yeah, you're in a new place and you're really god damn close to being the champion". Crossing that fucking river is one of the most memorable moments in the series and they didn't even have any dialogue or anything; just you and your own will, and some kickass music.

2>4>3>5>1>6>7

Gen 3 has my fav tease ever thanks to how water heavy the game was.
You travel on a boat and see an abandoned ship which you can't stop the boat to explore, when I first played the absolute first thing with surf I did was find that ship, then you need dive, then much later in the game first thing I did when I got dive was go back to that ship again.
I really liked that how for most of the main game this place was inaccessible and kept making me come back without it meaning anything.

God damn that's a good point, yeah. That ship was great. I also liked how there were sailors still on the ship talking about it as if nothing had happened; I always felt like they were ghosts or some shit.

I suppose. I still don't think Blue was any hard or had any troublesome Pokémon, maybe his Alakazam. Honestly, no Pokémon game ever has being hard or challenging. They have their moments of difficulty spikes but they tend to be on certain characters, like Cynthia for example. There are some cases were they get people early on with unprepared teams, like Whitney or Ilima. While we are on this, Blue is not remembered for being hard but for “ambushing” the player and being smug. Funny, I find Whitney, who is remembered for being hard, to be quite manageable.

The gen1 games were a broken, buggy mess, but given the scope of the games for the limited budget/specs they had to work with, it's excusable to an extent. The games were fine for what they were, but later games did a better job regarding content to do during or after the main story. Later games also fixed a lot of issues with the mechanics and gameplay, even though other parts arguably got worse.
I generally recommend FireRed over Red because it's basically Red with improved gen3 mechanics on better hardware. (Better menus, larger resolution, faster game speed, etc) There were some changes such as a few Pokemon locations (most notably Moltres), a little more content post-game with Sevii Islands, and more importantly a non-broken special stat. Playing this with friends using the wireless adapter was also amazing for the first time. I battle a friend once while taking a shit. You couldn't do that before with the link cables.

Agreed. Gary/Blue (and Silver for the most part) were actual rivals. You strived to be better than them. I always found myself being challenged when I didn't want to battle or wasn't expecting one. I felt like he was there to kick my shit in and force me to git gud. While the games were never really that difficult, the newer rivals felt more like pushovers without even pretending to be a challenge. They were portrayed as close friends you trained with rather than rivals you trained against.

Never really paid much attention to this. Even as a kid I knew about type weaknesses and just thought to get a variety of different Pokemon early on. I get this is important, but I just never really noticed due to how I assemble my teams in each game. (I'm one of the people who didn't notice Diamond/Pearl lacked fire types for most of the pre-Elite 4.)

Yeah, the hand-holding pisses me off a lot. Tutorials are fine, but let players skip them. Most people playing the games by now have played them before. Why do the games still force you to learn how to catch a Pokemon? By the time the tutorial prompt comes up I've already caught maybe 1/2 Pokemon, so it should be obvious I don't need it.

I also like that the story was minimal/not too outrageous. A villain wants money and power, so he catches Pokemon to sell/use for crimes and uses the Veridian gym as his base of operations. I don't need a new villainous team always wanting to control/destroy the world. It's also nice that the story didn't revolve around 3 or more different legendaries. I liked them better being hidden or out of the way. It left you with optional dungeons to explore at your own discretion. There's no sense of exploration in the newer games anymore. The last game I really felt I could explore was Hoenn because of the secret bases I exchanged with friends.

Gen 1 & 2 are very flawed but forgivable because the Gameboy hardware was primitive and had tight memory limitations. Later installments don't have that excuse. That menu-based combat system has dentures and a colostomy bag now.

Some of you fucking dickheads picking this game apart, like you're all such fucking experts. Maybe experts at sucking dick, but that's about it. Fucking twits. You have no idea what you're talking about, so just shut your fucking pieholes.

Sure you could.

Calm down jim.

Beautiful game. Best soundtrack in the series. Retarded pokemon distribution, but that's nothing a mod can't change. Still my favorite game overall, but others come close. The main difference in later games is the new mechanics and the strong focus on story.

They have a point but gen 2 is easily the best

These days I can't get into Gen 1 games like before. I guess their primitiveness turned me off.

I feel Gen 5 was the last gen that Game Freak put actual effort into it. The 3DS Pokemon games definitely felt lacking even though I quite liked Moon.

3 hours of resetting says I'm straight.

Out of curiosity, if the Hoenn games were the last "good" gen, how do the remakes compare?

Non-cannon alternate reality shit and all the fans of 3rd gen got burned by no battle islands.

user, do you not know? They have full-model walking AND running overworld animations for EVERY SINGLE pokemon inside the game's code for Sun and Moon and they didn't fucking use it at all.

I always thought it was because the sailors had been stranded there for so long they'd lost their minds and were acting as if the ship was still functional out of some twisted delusion.

The nuzlocke is kicking my ass. Should have caught a Geodude.

Mechanically they're alright, but they do a few annoying things.
They force Latias or Latios on you early on, so that they can introduce the soar mechanic. Their event is part of the main story, around where you meet Steven for the second time.
They didn't have Battle Frontier. Frontier was amazing in Emerald, but they didn't want to add it for some reason.
Mega Reyquaza is overpowered as fuck. I can understand some power creep but a mega evolved pokemon that can hold a Life Orb, and can neuter some of it's weaknesses, is a bit much.

It's got some decent features at least. PSS is much better than Gen 7's Festival Plaza. Secret bases are cool if you're in an area where you can streetpass a lot. It's just that the game could have been a lot more than it actually is.

Didn't they use some of those animations for the Pokemon Snap minigame?

Another one of the "we don't play pokemon anymore but it was great as I remember it" circlejerk
thank god gamefreak realized that trying to please nostalgiacucks is vain, thus Sun and Moon are the most innovating games in the series
kys

literally the worst games in the series, because at least shit games like Diamond/Pearl and XY were original, but ORAS is the 3rd remake of Hoenn and it is easily worse than the second one

I played Gen 1, X, and Ruby. It feels like Pokemon shifted from being a series about just being a kid who gets pokemon and tries to get good to all these convoluted stories.

The stories are shit, yet instead of the focus of the game being on training pokemon to become a master, now you have to stop all thes shitty people from destroying the world.

Team Rocket was there as a side to becoming a pokemon master. Gen 1 was you starting out as a kid who wants to become a pokemon master, and along the way you find some evil group who gets in your way. The end goal of the game is to become a pokemon master, the Team Rocket thing feels like you're a kid who got wrapped up into things way over his head.

The new ones, it feels like the story comes first, and they just throw in beating the elite four out of tradition. When I beat X, it felt like they really pushed the story. Do this because of the story, do that, etc. By the way, go beat the Elite Four.

I also agree with most of what was said in this thread about the newer games, specially OP. Gen 1 did a very good job of making you feel like you are an underdog kid who builds himself up, fighting against the odds. New ones, you finish the story, save the world, and then it just feels like you're supposed to just beat the Elite Four like nothing because you're the one who saved the world. I wouldn't be surprised if most people playing Pokemon now just stopped after the story and didn't bother with the Elite Four.

Pokemon needs something new to give that urgency of being an underdog who finds pokemon in tall grass, water, etc, trains them, and becomes powerful. They are trying to depend on the story to make it happen, it doesn't work.

Also, didn't the story in one of the newer games basically go "Hey, user, did you ever realize that society is based around cockfighting? Have you ever considered how screwed up and wrong that is?" Also, a book in Gen 4 outright stated that humans and Pokémon used to see each other as equals (Even to the point of marriage), to add even more to the mental screwery.

Were they going to have slowpoke lag behind you? That would have been pretty fun. If it's already in the code, should romhacks restore it?

The camera thing in Sun/Moon? You know what, I think they did now that you mention it, but still.

Completely finished walk/run animations for every pokemon are in the code, but having the pokemon in the overworld at all might be completely unimplemented, so it'd probably be a lot of work to implement.

Fuck streetpass and fuck Nintendo for creating it. I fucking hate those Nips and their attitude that local ANYTHING is acceptable in this day and age just because they live like sardines in their cities doesn't mean everybody else in the world can find 10,000 other like-minded people with the same video game within 50m of their location at any given fucking point in fucking god damn cunt ass time.

You can get some Secret Base people by going online at least. Streetpass isn't required.

their point is that thing are more fun when theyre new and youre still learning about them.
as for the handholding. even if you needed to rely on your intuition, its something youve done a dozen times before. again, being new to something is a totally different and generally a better experience.

They aren't, don't worry. They are the first bad one, and there are actual good ones after them.

Gen III is already an alternate reality. Remember how in Gen II they explained that they discovered 100 new pokemon in the last three years, and they had just discovered Pokemon Eggs? But in Gen III, nevermind, we just always knew about eggs and an infinite number of Pokemon, but you're no longer trying to catch em all, you're only trying to get the ones that happen to be in your local area.

Gens III and IV build up a whole autistic Pokemon cosmology. While I can appreciate it for its sheer autism, it certainly is very different from the much more down to earth plots of the first two games, especially the first one. Hell, when you think about it, none of the legendaries in Gen I are actually any sort of god. Mewtwo is the only one who is unique, because he's created by humans, but the birds are rare, but not actually unique, one-off pokemon as far as the story goes.

FUCKING FUCK I WANT TO REBUILD NORENDE BUT ONLY HAVE THREE PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Have you tried setting up a Homepass?

talk about it all you want, but until you actually go back and play gen1 again you won't know just how refreshing it is, especially on a handheld (buying a psp for emulation was one of the best decisions I've made in years), in comparison to the later games, though training this fucking zubat in mt. moon until he learns bite is a real pain in the ass at the moment

Except 2 is a shitty, grindy dungeon crawler, and 3 is an okay JRPG, generally speaking.

not really you just lose two optional post game battles and the memory links.

This isn't even true you do like three gyms in the same order and they've all had their puzzles changed. You even do an entirely different victory road, and again their the only games with a difficulty option which is why they're leaps and bounds above the rest of the series.

Also the pokemons are the result of nuclear wars! Fuck off Matpat.

What? Does that mean Pokémon takes place after S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Fallout?

wild pokemon mod for stalker when

Fuck, i remember that sick shit

The original games were imperfect and there are many aspects which have suffered with time, but mechanically I think it's really become convoluted.

If you really want a top-of-the-game team how much time is poured into RNG? Natures are essentially a time sync and Abilities can pretty much break the fucking game. A lot of new mechanics are not exactly challenging but rather an exercise in tedious time wasting. If I can go back to generation 1 or 2 it's not about "muh story" or characters, it's to avoid newer mechanics that make a time-consuming game ever more time-consuming. Experience Share was an improvement, but most of the other new mechanics has me like "Fuck this." or "I'm just not autistic enough to sit here and keep doing this.".

G7 was so close to make this somewhat bearable but they fucked it up. Hyper Training should not be restricted to LV 100 OR use a super rare currency. Same for Ability capsules, make AC that give you the HA while we are at it. Make it all cost money. That way it won't become irrelevant at the Post Game.

I'm thinking of playing Pokemon Yellow again sometime soon. Who should I use on my team? do I abuse glitches for easy items are rarer Pokemon?

god you're pathetic.

Go for Charizard, Nidoking, Slowbro, Tauros, Lapras and Gengar

Agreed

The TM could be disabled or have its counter dropped to 0 instead of disappearing.

Wait a minute, that shiny…

Gen IV-onward was a mistake. But Gen VI was the greatest fucking mistake imaginable.
WTF were they thinking? To think faggots actually defended that shite.

But how can you say that when Gen V was the best one?

I'll never understand all the hate Gen V got

Getting the nature you want is a 50% chance per egg if you have a parent with it, and getting that takes 20 minutes tops. If you're smart and get dittoes with common natures, you only ever need to do this once.
You can change standard abilities with an item.
IV breeding is also piss easy in recent gens as long as you know how it works. Assuming you have all the tools, it would take maybe 2 hours to go from nothing to a 5 IV fully ev trained pokemon.

Gen 4 was the best gen you dumb nigger. It added the most meaningful mechanical changes (phys/spec split, actual online functionality so even the most friendless of losers could trade for things they needed) and had by far the best meta. Literally the only bad thing about it was slow battle speed and that was fixed in plat.

5 was fine, didn't add much of anything of value over gen 4 but didn't fuck up a lot else either. They tried to do something really daring with having only new pokemon until postgame, but bitched out last minute by having like half of the new pokemon be clones and having old shit come back anyway in b2/w2. Other than that, the only bad thing it did was fuck up the meta with infinite weather while forgetting to make 2 of the 4 weathers viable in any way.

Some of those clones were pretty great. Did you not like Afro Buffalo?

Meme design aside it was pretty forgettable.

Ah, I see, thank you for letting me know all of your opinions are shit.

It's a buffalo with a fucking afro. The design is a shallow visual gag and nothing more.

Yeah, but you didn't have to be a retard and call it "meme design". Good going, idiot.

It feels like Gen 1 was built as a single-player rpg where enemies and party members all came fro the same pool of characters. PvP and trading seemed like an afterthought, otherwise why would wrap/bind etc. work the way it did at first?

I probably would have gotten bored back in gen 3 if they didn't add significant side features. Sure, they started expanding back in gen 2, but not to the scale of contests, battle tower, and minigames dotted around. Sadly those things declined in following games.

By the time we got to Black and white it was all squeezed out, leaving just the core game. It rocked the fuck out of presentation, but it felt boring once you got through the story, and that's why it was the last pokemon game I got.

Infinite TM's was a welcome change, though I would have settled for all of them being re-obtainable. The problem is that if you only get one ever unless you restart the game, it kind of feels "too good to use." for a lot of us. And even for those more decisive, better hope you never wanted another, because you'd be restarting the whole game to pull that off.

But holy crap I forgot how obnoxious the Gen2 worshipers were. Radio, visual time changes, All of the shit they rave about and mourn the passing of is a "hey neat" novelty at best. Some of them were even annoying, like pokemon only being available in the short morning timeframe. Or not available at night, which dominated the clock.

Especially the return to Kanto, which was nowhere near as interesting as it's made out to be, because damn near everything was gutted. No safari zone, Most of the dungeons were truncated. * more gym battles, that's basically all you got out of it.

And as a Result Jhoto was sparse. There were hardly any dungeon crawls on your way through.

Hoenn, for all the water at least added more than just one interesting side attraction to break up the grinding.

Well that's all it is. Stop getting all pissy because someone on the internet doesn't like a thing that you like. Or are you just allergic to the word "meme"?

I'm sorry, I forgot Holla Forums wasn't for vidya discussion, my bad.

They're pretty good. They improve on the originals in pretty much every way that isn't the Battle Facility. (And Pokemon following you.) You get a Lati midway through that lets you soar above Hoenn and go catch most of the Legendaries from Gens 2 through 5. There's a postgame that lets you catch Deoxys in space with Mega Rayquaza.

Here's hoping they'll actually use them for following Pokemon. :^(

If they can add a shitty modeling minigame they can have Pokemon follow you.

Trips of truth right here.

Man fuck YouTube for removing annotations. Actually, fuck YouTube for a fuck of a lot of shit in the past several years.

Go with Charizard, Chansey, Fearow, Hitmonlee, Tentacool, and Parasect. Cheat for a Mew, name it Kug, put into your box, and never use it.

Like pottery.

Fuck you, Mega Beedrill is mah nigga.

Yeah, Garterbelt was breddy gud. I also like King Ramses and Gothmon. And Green Tornado Bro. Man, Gen V had some fucking great mons.

Yes, people have bastardized it to the point of meaninglessness. So quit being a dipshit and never say that again in your fucking life.

You sound like a leftist.

Yeah, the guy telling you to stop using words wrong is a leftist.

Can I put all the Pokemon and items I consider essential in the N64 box storage in stadium, then delete my save file in yellow, and be able to carry over my stuff from the last save later?

Phil Fish is an enigma of a human being.
How can one man have so much stored up unwarranted self importance just from one indie game and a sequel that he didn't even finish?

Probably but it would be less effort to just edit your save.

Totally subjective, but the monochrome graphics gave it kind of a hazy nostalgic feeling that I feel the added detail of future generations lost. I'd like to see an indie game go for the same art style.

His head is so far up his ass hes Magellan at this point.

Well it was pretty shit. It might have been good as a joke.

yer damn right i won't. 2 > 1

Kyss yourselves. Twosies best gensies

With a 6IV Ditto, that can be reduced to somewhere in between 10 minutes to an hour or so.

I played up to 5 badges and didn't see anything that would make me play this over an official pokemon.
What's the deal with these are they just shit?

I just want a new version of Pokemon Stadium. Pokemon Stadium 3, with all the newer Pokemon and maybe some new silly mini games, but mostly I just want the arena battles that are rendered in GRORIOUS 3D and commentated by some gay sounding announcer.

Any of the more recently released games like this?

I think that, just like most media we autists waste our time on, we grew up with these things and are now overthinking them in our supposedly adult age. When we first played these games 20 years ago we simply enjoyed them but now that we are older and wiser we start nitpicking anything that the now matured community perceive as flaws.

Game Freak faces an impossible task as the new fans demand more complexity from their games, while the mature fans secretly want to recapture their ignorant youth.

webbum related.

NIGGUH THAT'S JUST A REAVERBOT FROM LEGENDS 2. STOP BEING A MEGAFAG.

Choose one faggot

It's shit
And I fell for it on release expecting it would be a new Pokemon Stadium

A game with multiple regions would be shit. Either completing one would make the rest irrelevant in terms of difficulty due to being high level, or all regions would be on the same curve and everything would be intolerably slow as a result. Gen 2 was bad enough with now slow the exp was, multiplying that by 7 would be inexcusable.

I've been playing since gen 1 and all I want is more complexity, or rather any complexity because holy fuck it's shallow but has obvious potential for more. Any new fans are literally children, so I doubt they give a shit and just want more of the same. Stop assuming everyone thinks the same way you do.

FUCKING HELL IF I TALK TO ONE MORE NPC WHO TELLS ME THEY'LL TEACH ME A REMOVED TM FOR A FUCKING SILVER LEAF I SWEAR TO GOD
Playing through the mod right now, it's a clear improvement over the original including a lot of features of the DS game and even more on top.

You miss out on playing the game that this is a direct sequel to. You might as well watch Empire Strikes Back without watching Star Wars. Better in many ways, but it's still obviously the second one and you won't get the full effect without the first.

Gen II has a whole new region and going back to the old stuff is cool because it's not the whole game. If Gen II was just modified Kanto, it would be shit. Gen II did it right and got the full effect out of it. Gen V fucked it up by only giving you a slightly modified region that you already played.

I like BW and BW2 a lot, but while BW2 improved on a lot of things, it's tough to enjoy those improvements because in order to get full enjoyment out of the game, you have to play BW first, yet playing BW first also makes playing BW2 terrible redundant since you're exploring nearly the same world again.

What are you even talking about? I'm just saying the implications of Pokemon being from space that you got from Pewter and Mt. Moon were cool. Early adaptations picked up on this but later games didn't. It's not a theory, it's explicitly in the game, but is just an aspect that sequels didn't care to follow through on.

I want Hoennbabbies to leave.

uh…

The shit removed from II was actually good, too, unlike shit minigames that III added, like Contests.

Let Pokemon go up to level 700.

The ideal way to experience Gen V is to play B/W once, and then wait a year or two to play B/W 2.

After all these years, gentwoers are still butthurt about gen 3 not allowing them to carry over their bug exploit pokemon like lv 100 flying Kangaskans.

I don't see how else anyone would be so pissed when presented with the game that brought everything into full vibrant color and has a pokemon storage system that finally wasn't shit.

>

This does not fix the problem at all and only adds more. Not only would levels progessively mean less and less the higher you go, the entire game would need to be redesigned. Every pokemon that evolves would likely need this level tweaked, as would the levels they learn moves at so levels actually feel like they mean something. The way base stats along with EVs/IVs are calculated would also need to be redone and stat bloat would become absurd with everything having 4 digit stats at max level. You clearly did not think about this for more than 5 seconds and you're also a fucking idiot.

Yeah, but it does have a legitimacy filter. So probably no evolving 'M for wonky movesets.

Something like that might be part of the reason there wasn't inter-generational transfer between gense 2 and 3 in the first place. In theory a GBA game could emulate the GBC protocols. The system was reverse compatible with game boy color games and cables.

But I'm guessing it was too much work to put that option in when they'd want to also filter out gitched and hacked old pokemon and need a lookup table or something so the game knows what to look for. They took the chance to give the core data for each pokemon an overhaul.

Raises questions as to how the EVs and IVs are handled by Pokemon Bank, because both worked differently before gen III. And abilities for that matter.

They added checks to prevent weird and impossible shit from getting through, but you can still cheat for infinite Mews and make any Gen I Poke (and their evolutions) shiny.

If you try to transport a MissingNo. or 'M alongside other pokemon, it shifts their names around.
All pokemon sent over are guarenteed 3 perfect IVs, EVs aren't even considered, and every pokemon sent over has their hidden ability by default. R.I.P. No Guard Fissure Machamp.

nigga it has been several generations(if not from the first one) that you've been able to skip animations, the first thing I ever did

…was disable them

I still don't fucking understand why the fuck are HM still a thing.
Just give me a fucking item that does the job, you fucking retard, it's so hard to come up with a "Scyther Knife" to cut trees?
How about a "Machoke Belt" to move boulders?
Oh ehy, we could get a "Blaziken's Fist" to break rocks too.

No no wait, I got a better idea, let's WASTE either pokemon space or move pool space for a move that it's literally worthless and it's only needed for fucking around in the map.
It's so stupid that they keep doing it, there is no excuse for HMs to exist.

It's the Pokebros and Pokegirls in general, faggot.

First of all you're a graphics whore.

Secondly, Gen II was in color.

You mean how if the box was full in the first two you couldn't send more without changing the box? It's an incredibly minor factor and frankly at the time I just took it as being a part of the gameplay. RPGs are about keeping track of a lot of different items and stats and stuff, and keeping track of how full your boxes were and knowing how to organize them was just one more thing to do. A very slight extra challenge.

Also, you're a fool if you think people were butthurt about bug exploit pokemon. Maybe some would be mad about not trading over their old pokebros, but moreso it's just about the fact that a great feature from the previous game was removed from the next one. Not only was it removed, so you could no longer interact with the old games, even though you could before, but now you couldn't even catch 'em all without buying remakes of games that were still fairly new and humungously successful, meaning you probably already owned them. And even that didn't do it, you also had to have a gamecube, two gamecube games, and that gba/gamecube link cable.

There are better ways to do it. Which they have since done.

It was great on GBC, so yeah.

You got it.

I just wish they had fucking content in Black and White. Why the fuck were the games so short despite all the new Pokemon that could have taken up so much more?

It's because the adventure is the point more than the battles. This makes your pokemon more relevant to your adventure.

I came into this thread to get nice meme images from non retards.

It had the worst fucking regional Pokedex ever, even worse than Gen II and Platinum just slapped duct tape on it by bringing in more Johto and Hoenn. And don't forget just how bad HMs were.

digimon was always better tbh

Stop doing this shit.

no

Genwunners have a point

What is this? Was your dad a gen 2 snob? Are these people taking the effort to pass down their grudge to the next generation? Because it sounds like you don't have any firsthand experience with the games in question.

First off the easy one. The original GBA screen was infamous for being dark. To the point that backlight mods were all the rage and people who wouldn't normally dare to unscrew a game system were cracking the things open.
(Personally had no trouble with this myself, guess I just played games with better color selection.)

But not being able to catch pokemon if the box was full? That was the least of the problems you had in the first two games.
You see, there was a performance gap between the Game Boy and GBA. Either because of limited memory, slower save media or both, the first two generations had a system that could only work with one PC box at a time. Every time you changed which PC box was active, you'd need to save your game.
This made working with the system a royal fucking pain. Taught kids to organize I'm sure. Well, at least Gen 2 made it so you could name boxes, see the currently selected box, and move a pokemon from one box to another, though you of course had to save in the process of the transfer for each time you moved a pokemon that way. Bottom line, it was slow and annoying.

Gen 3 onward you can see what the heck is in a box. Nice little sprites sit in a row, because the text list has been replaced by a GUI, and each type of pokemon has their own sprite, instead of the vague handful that was supposed to cover All 251 Individual types.

I just want pokemon with randomly generated maps.

Its called Dragon Quest Monsters

1st generation were a set of ultimately very shallow, broken games that preyed upon consumerism with their "collect 'em all" gimmick. They have an interesting world progression and a fair bit of content and that's the most you can say about them.

The problem is that every generation after them took all the aspects that were bad about the games and made them even worse. Sometimes I wonder what a Pokemon-type RPG done right would be like.

I've thought about key items replacing HM's since I was a kid. It'd also add a bit of sense to finding a rival trainer in an area only accessible by HM, and none of his fucking pokemon have the move needed to even be there.

user, G7 has completely dropped HM in favor of "Ride Pokémon". They are gone and were replaced by Pokémon you call out, like ORAS did with the Soaring Latios.

Was playing on the original GBA worse than on a GBC? I stuck with my GBC and didn't get a GBA until SP came out. But I played Gen I on my grey brick original game boy, and Gen II on my GBC, and while you needed certain lighting conditions for both, it worked just fine. In fact I probably played Gold and Silver a bit on my original Game Boy to help trade with myself and stuff, and don't recall any major problems either.

You're basically saying you couldn't have night in Gen III because the GBA didn't have a backlit screen, but neither did the GBC, and the day/night was awesome on that.

If anything I've forgotten more about how the later ones worked, because those are the ones not worth playing through more than once. I played through the first two a ton of times each and never had any problems.

Maybe you just weren't a retard and played in slightly better lighting conditions, like everyone else did before the GBA. I remember when all my friends had a GBC and had to play in certain light, and found it weird that with my original GB I had to play in different light than them. It was a very minor inconvenience that nobody really gave much of a shit over. They sold those Light Boy things and I got one as a gift one time but it was shit and not worth wasting batteries on when usually all you needed to do was turn and sit at a slightly different angle.

No, it really didn't. It's such a minor issue that nobody ever gave a shit about until Hoennbabbies started needing to pretend like their nostalgia was somehow better despite removing major features that the previous sequel had.

This is all very minor. The only reason to fuck around with the boxes anyway was to clone pokemon in Gen II. Otherwise, the only issue might be looking for an old pokemon you caught, but even then it's not hard to remember where you put it. There aren't that many boxes, and you can just think about how long ago you caught it, since your catches would likely be roughly in order.

The GUI and individual sprites are nice and all, but not really a huge deal.

On a related note, I miss the old sprites. I wonder if they were ever meant to look like individual pokemon. If not, they should make pokemon that look like them.

It was more or less Stadium with just the battles. Although, Stadium also had the great announcer and maybe a better atmosphere? I never owned a N64, so I only played Stadium at a friend's house. I spent way more time playing PBR than Stadium because of this. In spite of that, I have more fond memories of Stadium's battle mode than Battle Revolution's battle mode.
When Diamond/Pearl came out, PBR was the only official way to battle random strangers in Pokemon without friend codes. (not counting the various simulators at the time like NetBattle) I played PBR primarily for this reason. While I played it a lot, it never really stood out to me. It probably didn't help that the menu felt like a beta test with how simple it was. I liked some of the battle themes, but a lot of the sounds and music were very forgettable. However, the models and animations I think were well done. It's probably the one good thing about the game that I feel still holds up. The online was better than DP, but once the main series improved on features, offered more modes for fighting with/against friends online, and let you fight random strangers more easily, there really wasn't any reason left to play PBR.
Probably the worst part about it was being forced to use the fucking wagglan to select menu items with no option to use the D-pad or analog stick. In addition to the annoyance factor, if you chose to battle a friend, the first person selecting a move or Pokemon to switch basically revealed what they were doing to the next person who hasn't selected what to do yet. Stadium's approach was simpler in that you just selected button for your move or Pokemon to switch to. Even though Player 1's entire options were visible on screen, they were selected in a way that give Player 2 no visual cue to avoid an unfair advantage. This is why I never battled with friends on the same console like my friends and I did for Stadium.
Now, PBR did have an option to play with the DS as a controller which would let you hide your selections from the other player, but it was still absurd that you needed separate consoles to do what should have been part of the game itself. I never liked the game enough to ask friends to bring their DS's over to use this mode, so I have no comments or criticisms about it. I only ever used my DS to copy my storage over because the rentals were shit, and to import event Pokemon and items that were earned from events and spending battle points. They weren't very good.
I'm not sure how someone thought making a Stadium-like battling game with less features, obvious flaws, and little content after the short single player mode was a good idea. There was barely a reason to own the game then because most of the time you just battled strangers online in 3D (which was fun for a while until you realized there's not much else to the game), but now with online being restricted to private servers that casual players are less likely to be able to use, there's really no reason to play it today.

I'm not sure why I reviewed this game, but I know I'm not the only one who tried to like it despite the overwhelming issues.

I was reading this thread in bed. Got a fever, can't sleep work tomorrow. I fell for the notion of playing Pokemon again since it has been 17 years since I last beat it probably. Wondering what the best way to play emulated is, particularly because there might be improved romhacks with full color support or bugs fixed fixed (I think accuracy increase never worked?). Just in case.

I never did beat Gold or Silver but gawd I remember being on holiday and there being this stall in a market with a copy of both games at the back. This was a year before the game came out maybe. We thought it was fake but I ended up buying that badboy towards the last day after whining to buy it over and over as we passed it several days. They only had gold left in the end. The kids all didn't believe me but I showed them the game the next time before school break when we could bring the gameboy to school.

So I've been thinking I could look into G&S after. Now I did try playing the other games over the years, I thought FireRed would do the trick but it never clicked, felt wrong maybe, music was shit. Tried one of the more recent ones on DS emulator but it feels so fucking slow…. and the text everywhere. It wasn't right. Also looks like shit. My only knowledge of Pokemon these days is the porn.

TLDR
What emulator/romhack should I use for Red&Blue best experience? If it goes well what else should I think about?

My issue with it was Stadium gave you all of them, with shit moves yes but you had them.
In Battle revolution you're limited to I want to say 2-3 passes with 6 on and you had to unlock more and more and all it did in the end was lead to you putting all the best gimmies on a single pass instead of actually mixing and matching.

Gen4 redo many of those things OP (the rival and the no guides part). What I really miss is 6v6. I have plenty of good memory about that tower in crystal. Now they have the technology to bring 6v6 online, yet they persist with their shitty 2v2 or 3v3 format. To find someone to play 6v6 with I can easly waste 20min., and half the time the bastard is a south korean with ubers, and one of those fucking ubers is always xerneas with power herb. All others ubers usually go down easly, but damn geomancy is so fucking broken. And power herb wasn't suppose to give a permanent bonus right away FFS.

Visual Boy Advance

How do you even play pokemon if you're not 5? It's the worst gameplay imaginable.

BGB is the best GBC emulator.

Don't use VBA to play GB games, it's not as authentic or accurate when it comes to the emulation or sound department.

No, they don't have a point. Why must I dig this video up every year?

Is it worth even getting sun/moon with ULTRA two months away? I mean by then I should have it beaten and quite a few mons trained up and ready to go assuming I can stomach it through

hey. when you speak with the wandering adventurer to save, select the update option just below it. Once a day, you can get 4 new people in norende. also, there's something in norende you can rush to make you OP if you don't mind grinding for a bit. I'll spoiler it if you don't want to know. It's the accessory shop. eventually you can get accesories that double pg but prevent exp and jp, and an accessory that prevents pg, but doubles exp and jp. they are expensive, but you can buy them from the adventurer when you unlock them. then just make encounter rate +100%. you'll want to be max lvl and complete jobs on everyone for the final, optional boss rush of the game
You can get 5 people a day this way in Bravely Second, but norende had better rewards.

Some TMs (at least as of Gen III) you could acquire more of via mechanics like Pickup, but even then it was a crapshoot. Better idea was to figure out breeding chains with various egg groups in order to be able to pass the TM-related move on to get more use out of it. Hell, sometimes you'd have to take extra steps to get ones to get what you'd want. Dark Pulse for example being the best dark type attack the Deino line could know (making better use of its special attack stat than Crunch), but in Black and White, it wasn't a TM anymore, nor did any move tutors offer it (B2W2 would later add more move tutors, one of whom offers it). Thus, in BW, you'd have to teach a male Seviper Dark Pulse via TM in a Gen IV game, import the Seviper into BW, and breed it onto a Deino as an offpsring.

Of course, the more factors you want to tweak with a monster, the more convoluted it can get. Breeding egg moves and TMs is easy enough, and at least as of Gen V (the last generation I played), you could increase the odds of deriving one of the parents' natures onto the offspring. IVs, abilities, hidden abilities, etc though can make things incredibly time consuming and narrow. I once tried to get a Staraptor with Reckless as an ability and Roost as an egg move. The following was essentially a pain in the ass:
And just as a further kick in the balls, for whatever reason Starly goes from having a single ability (Keen Eye) to split normal/hidden ability (Intimidate and Reckless) when evolving to a Staravia, meaning you wouldn't even know if the offspring is truly one you wanted to work with without taking the time to evolve it. Really helped me see why some people have taken to third party monster generators and unofficial online battle programs, as well as respect for people that took the time to do everything the old fashioned way ("Dexter" on half/vp/ years back would hand breed shit for distribution; it would take him months, but every so often he'd drop by with a quadruple/quintuple flawless monster for the userbase).

Yeah, several of the better TMs were re-obtainable, so why not all? I don't mind TMs becoming unlimited like HMs, but being able to re-earn them all would have been fine too.

Same goes for ALL the "missing features" Gen 3 took away.

Only the new and improved PC is something you'll constantly be using making your overall experience more convenient, while the trip to Hoenn is mostly used up after you battle the gyms, and came at the expense of Jhoto's size.

Or Mystery Dungeon.

IVs are a crap mechanic IMO. With abilities and natures now there's enough making individuals unique. Does it add any enjoyment? None that I'm aware of.

The first one is the best even due to all it's fault, simply because every copy after that became too self-indulgent, like a shitty soap-opera that you have to invest your life into to catch up with.

A someone who beat it- hell no.
Most trainers only have one or two Pokemon, even toward the end of the game.
Wait and see if Ultra fixes the issues.

Also; assuming it works the same, always take 2* or higher lottery shops when you get offered them after leveling up. Their first interaction guarantees a Bottle Cap IIRC.

It's Xylas, he makes good shit

No, you're literally saying that graphics make up for removing actual gameplay features. This is what Hoennbabbies actually believe.

It really doesn't make a significant difference at all. Hoennbabbies overstate how big a difference it is beacause they're grasping at straws.

You have like 20 posts in this thread talking about "Hoennbabbies" like a fucking autist.

Worse than a Sonic fan.

The lack of a way to carry forward your pokemon is the only missing feature worth being all that angry about. Especially when the missing pokemon were so spread across different games, meaning you had to be hella lucky and have friends to trade with, or buy several games including the gamecube games and transfer cable to complete the global pokedex.
Other than that, Gen 2 has nothing on gen 3 but some trivial novelties, and proceeded to provide it's own side items that were more fun. Contests were essentially a new form of battle, and came with the blender minigame. Then again a lot of the old features were upgraded, Secret bases were an expanded version of the player's room from gold and silver. Trainer's Eyes carried over phone rematches, TVs give news about swarms, both without needing particular NPCs in phone memory and having to get random calls to the tune of "I almost caught a X, but it got away."

The third version even added the Battle Frontier, Shame it was watered down the next gen and didn't even make it into the Hoenn remakes. Same for contests. The rhythm game round was a good addition, but the appeal round was redone in a crappy way that seemed to expect you to be a fucking oracle. Pokeathalon was great though. Need to dig up my copy of Heartgold for some of that action. . .