Alien Isolation

Picked up Alien Isolation in last weekend's Steam sale, what do I think of it?

No, seriously. I'm a huge autist-level fan of the 1979 film and the extent to which Creative Assembly managed to perfectly recreate the look, feel and atmosphere of the film is blinding any sense of objectivity I might have had.

You could have also picked it up from humblebundle with bunch of other games for cheaper btw

The alien was buggy and the game wasn't all that scary after the alien showed up.

So far I've found the androids scarier than the alien. I unloaded six rounds from the revolver into one and tried to hit it with the wrench when it cornered me, it grabbed the wrench and caved my head in on a doorframe. I haven't reached the point of unscripted encounters with the alien yet though, so that could change.

Well shit.

Hey OP, you want the game to be really fun?

Install the No Xeno mod

Working Joes become the primary antagonist. Just like during the best part of the game when the xeno fucks off

It's basically Routine except, you know, you can play it.

The alien is OP as fuck on hard difficulty. The game was excellently challenging, though, and dripping with atmosphere. My two complaints are
1) I'm pretty sure the alien can teleport which is unfair
2) The map/quest marker on the motion sensor is retarded as all shit and I get lost too easy.

It's fun. It's got bugs and the gameplay mechanics are a bit simplistic, and the AI is pretty exploitable, but it's fun.

I'm going to get a lot of shit for saying this, but it's more of an "experience" than a game. I don't mean artistically or anything like that, I just don't know what else to call it - I don't know a single word that means "It focuses more on its presentation and its immersive aspects than its gameplay and mechanical aspects." But that's what it does.

Most of the time that results in something too shallow to enjoy. With Alien Isolation it turned out pretty good. If you can jack an HMD from a rich relative, plug it in and prepare to shit your pants so hard you achieve escape velocity.

The alien's unscripted appearances begin right after Axel's final cutscene, when the alarms are blaring and you have to call the first tram. You have to fuck about and make a shitload of noise because its thresholds are set super high that early, but it'll appear at any time after that - the instant the tutorial hand-holder gets impaled.

The devs stated multiple times and autists fucked around with the game and it actually doesn't teleport. Every single section of the station is connected somehow and the alien rotates around them constantly. If there's an area you haven't been where there's some humans, it will go check on them (don't think it kills them which is stupid) then come back to you legitimately.
The shitty hand-holding just makes the game better. If you really get lost, the map on the pause screen is probably too detailed for me.

There's definitely a lack of actual gameplay, but that's the only way you could truly replicate the feel of the original film.
The lack of gameplay features is what makes the game work, as if it gave you heaps of ways to deal with the problems presented, it wouldn't make you feel Isolated.

Is this some new way to refer to VR to avoid the autists that love/hate them?

Great for the first half or so, but then gets too repetitive. Towards the end the Alien, humans and the Joes become nuisances.

My biggest issue is that you never really do feel isolated. There's people all over, and androids and two xenomorphs - who can pop out together and spit-roast you chasing you constantly. The alien hunting so overtly also detracted. It should have done a lot more lurking, sneaking and ambushing. It should have used the darkness and the bizarre geometry of the environments to creep around along walls and ceilings. The game had fantastic sound design, but they should have gone all out with it, with dozens of different audio cues for all of the different ways the alien could be creeping on you or waiting for you.
By the mid-way point, the game pretty much becomes a run-and-gun, and you lose all of the respect for the xeno that it may have earned hunting you in the first half.
It's still a fine game, but the gameplay mechanics definitely needed more depth - not of Ripley's mechanics, but of the alien's.

It's just what they're called, I dunno. I think the tech is great, but the software is almost entirely shit, so VR is pretty fucked. HMDs have uses, though, and they're pretty fucking rad if you can get access to one by some miracle.

You should play Aliens: Colonial Marines doom wad if you're a fan of the film series. It's incredible.

Fuck off.

You might as well use those revolver rounds while you can, the alien takes no damage from them it really only fucks off if you use fire or distract it with those noise makers

Outstanding presentation but like anons already said the gameplay is lacking for its length and despite some claims it becomes fairly obvious pretty quick that the Alien is artifically chained to youI know it has to be to some extend but I found it to be too much

Maybe it would have been better if they changed gears completely after you discover the hive and go full Aliens as to avoid fatigue.

I hope it sold well enough to get a sequel that could expand on it.

That looks amazing. Will definitely give it a try.

Wish games still moved at that kind of clip nowadays. Most modern FPSs seem to be pretty ponderous by comparison.

that is basically what you're asking
so fuck off for being a faggot and not having an self developed opinion

but on the game itself, I found it to be really good,
and like yourself I just loved that first Alien ambience and this game managed to capture perfectly
the sneaking around the Alien, the flamethrower, creeping out in vents in terror, everything pretty capture to the essence from the movie

I'd be embarrassed to be you

It's trash and so are you.

Hello shill

It took a bunch of limeys to figure out how to make a proper Alien game.

Everything is a shill. Your family is all paid shills. Your friends are shills. The cashier at the store is a shill. That guy you passed on the street is a shill.

It felt like a walking sim with ayys to me.

This game is a gem and i couldnt play it with headphones because the sound design would freak me out.

Better than yet another AlienS game. I hate what that movie did to the Xenomorph.

Actually making the creature scary?

By far the best encounter in the game is the first one. You've got no way to defend yourself and you haven't experienced the Alien yet, in the game at least.

As it drags on you stop seeing the Alien and just see the AI scripts being run when X happens. I enjoyed it well enough but I didn't finish it. I'm on the last section but I just can't be bothered to finish it now.

How does the Xeno being cannon fodder make it scary? They also ruined the mystery of the Xeno by having a Queen be the source of the eggs.

I always hear people complain about the shoddy AI, so let me just say, playing on hard is pretty much REQUIRED to have a decent experience
it doesn't fix everything, there was a point near the end where survivors would prioritize killing me while in hiding from the xenomorph just to end up getting themselves killed, among other little things
but the xenomorph puts a shit ton of pressure on you, it never leaves the area, and it can easily find you in hiding if it walks up in the right line of sight (which is alittle cheap but it fits the lore and adds tension well)
I will say on cons I really fucking HATE how certain doors almost seem like pseudo-cutscenes where you aren't able to move for a split second while its opening in front of you, theres a portion involving a facehugger that drove me insane because of that
I also hate that the xeno doesn't acknowledge the joes at all, I spent an embarrassingly long amount of time trying to position one right under a drooling vent thinking I was smart only for nothing to happen
I get that since they aren't biological the xenomorph probably wouldn't prioritize them, but I mean they're a moving thing, and xenomorphs kill anything in their way, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to just completely ignore them

The rubber banding on the Alien gave me the shits so much that I dropped it. They made this fantastic world with lots of little things to remember and backtrack to, now if the fucker could give you some breathing room I would be able to see some of it. Currently I'm beelining and gaming the Alien and it feels cheap.

I am so fucking tempted.

I've seen a youtube video where it literally appears beside the player after it left the room. Perhaps it's supposed to teleport, but it's at least bugged or that's marketing lies.

*perhaps it's not supposed to teleport

Wowzorz fam you're so beyond those sheeples.

But seriously, listening to you niggers is like answering the jehova witnesses at the door.

I found my most fun playthrough was getting the "pacifist" achievement. Basically, just go through the game but never kill a human by your hands. Synthetics are fair game. This means later in the game, you'll run into guys with full armor and weapons, but you'll be somewhat attuned to how the alien works and it's habits and can trick the alien into making like a chainsaw and shredding through everyone.

Another good tip is that the alien is mesmerized by flares. If it hasn't spotted you, toss a flare and it will go up to the flare and stare at it until it burns out. This will work maybe twice in a row before it's aggressiveness goes trough the roof.

I still don't know why the alien didn't tear me a new asshole in this first webm.

I think that was basically intended as game design
get rid of two problems with one stone, while alien is busy killing bad people he won't go after you
remember this is a horror survival rogue game as opposed to horror action

What the fuck is up with that? It looks more realistic than a lot of new FPS.

Loved the games atmosphere and aesthetics. The devs stated there was a queen on board of the ship and you can hear her roar sometimes. Wish we could see her sometime during the game.
Does anyone else know any movies/games with this retro 70s futuristic vibe?

Routine

The Alien teleports for scripted sequences, otherwise it's just a matter of the Alien moving around really fast in the vents.

ah okay, I kinda wish they went with the humans into eggs thing from the directors cut, but I don't mind the eusocial stuff too
hell as long as it isn't the dumbass spore shit Ridley Scott is trying to sabotage the lore with its fine with me

Pretty sure that's just in regards to the original ones forming. It doesn't seem to invalidate anything that happens later.

Because they come to tell you the truth and it upsets you?

If that was later on in the game, that's normal. It will leave the room and come back or wait in an adjacent room so you get caught when you feel cocky after t leaves gong "It was just here, it won't be back for a couple minutes"

The current meme Ridley is pushing is the spore/black goo that affects things and mutates into a apex predator version of it.

As far as I can tell, there's actually two creates in the xenomorph life cycle.
You have the xenomorph itself, which is created from humans that are infected with the black goo by facehuggers, of which we saw the proto version in Prometheus with those little worm/ell things.

So the facehuggers mutate from eels into the crab form they have now, inject the black goo or an embryo (like the embryo from the end of covenant) into the person's chest, which forms a xenomorph.
The Alien Queen is a hybrid of the xenomorph and facehugger that replicates more facehuggers and gives them black goo/embryos for impregnation. This makes some sense as in Aliens, we can see the Queen has a more crab-like appearance than the other xenomorphs, though that's just something you notice when you're looking for justification.

I hope it's something like that, because that'd be a neat idea that there's 2 symbiotic creatures in the life cycle, but I know Ridley will fuck it up even further.

Wasn't that Left 4 Dead clone where you hunt giant aliens shilled here and undertale as well? Sure this isn't 4/v/ but we get some.

I'd be embarrassed to be you

this goes without saying, but the origin of the xenomorphs was better when it was a mystery
are they bioweapons created by an insanely advanced species gone wrong?
are they naturally evolved animals that are dangerously invasive?
both of those still give the xenomorph a decent amount of mystery behind them
now they owe their fucking existence to some smarmy synth with a god complex who single handedly wiped out an entire civilization, its so fucking anthropocentric

WHERE'S MY GRID LAPTOP
FAAGGGSSS

Fucking stupid shit. Predators making aliens to hunt made more sense and was much cooler, even if the AvP sucked ass.

It always seemed Ridley is doing the same crap George Lucas did with his prequels
I really hope a third movie isn't made

I was 8 when it came out and even I was disappointed. I remember hearing the conversations of other moviegoers as we left the theatre. Everyone was confused, like in shock that they didn't really enjoy this movie that they were so excited for.

Nowadays I actually appreciate the movie more, but while casuals ate it up and it made money, it had a tricky reception, to say the least.

But it's a fucking trillion times better than the new shit Disney is pumping out now.

I loved it.

You are on the wrong side of history

/thread
This Alien ruins an otherwise near perfect license game.

What? I just said that nowadays I do like Phantom Menace. And Revenge of the Sith was always legit great and I defended it from the day it came out. Doesn't change the fact that they had a mixed reception.

jesus, so long since this thing came out
so lets be honest here, part of what they liked was the hype it self,
you know when the cliche passes on screen and everyone on the cinema goes wild
they aren't really watching the movie, but instead just masturbating on the member berries

and also not even the original trilogy was that good,
most of it is nostalgia hits from the past, and because it was an epic saga on the time (when there really weren't trilogies)
but if you objectively compare movie values with other movies from the time it really isn't that big a deal