Remember BallisticNG...

Remember BallisticNG, the open source moddable Wipeout clone that closed source and promised to re-open it when they sorted out the steamworks issues? Well after jewing out on a Patreon for a few months breaking things that weren't broken so people would keep donating towards their 'progress', they finally completely sold out.

steamcommunity.com/games/473770/announcements/detail/1439318968088458913

They're now going to be charging money for a game they made out of reverse engineering ripped code from a PS1 Wipeout game, using the company name Neognosis (a rip-off of original Wipeout developer Psygnosis) and developed off of a Wipeout fan forum. BallisticNG has gone from one of the most promising fangames to something anyobody who isn't sycophantic fanboy wants Sony to call in the lawyers on. Hope they get justly fucked and end up using all their ill-gotten money in court.

well, that sucks.

I'm sorry I even went to cuckchan to post this, but I wanted to see the difference in reaction. Lesson learned; don't go to cuckchan.

Wait, so did they rip the code or did they reverse engineer it? Which is it?

Are you sure this isn't just fans trying to walk into the other dev's footsteps? Only thing I'd make an issue out of is switching from open to closed source, but seeing as they now want to sell it that explains why.

You should've already had this in mind when you left that shit hole (which you probably didn't).

cucked
as
FUCK

This place makes you have to remind yourself sometimes.

They ripped the code from the disc and then reverse engineered it, what's difficult to understand about that?

You don't know what these words mean. Reverse engineer means to observe and replicate the behavior, and is legal. Ripping is something else entirely, and is usually illegal. Also, how did they rip code for a PS1 game and use it in Unity? Makes no fucking sense.

Seems like the average shitpost you'd see here baiting for a reaction. You should learn a lesson about taking things you read on Mongolian cartoon forums at face value.

You should have just posted the news if you wanted discussion, not shit up the thread from the very start with your idiotic ill-informed rant and then double-fucked it by admitting you're a worthless faggot crossposter. Go back to halfchan and stay there.

It's all done publicly on the Wipeoutzone forum, though I don't know if you can view the forum without an account and they're manually approved by a supreme hotpocket. The threads were in both the original and 3SE forums.

I can't believe I forget to mention this. BallisticNG has a feature where if you insert a PS1 Wipeout game into your disc drive, you can import that games ships into BallisticNG. I have to assume they're not so dumb that they're going to keep that in for the commercial release, but it shows where they're coming from.

Neither of those were made through "ripping code" or reverse engineering; they were made from the original source code itself. Do you have no idea how software is made?

Depends on many factor, of someone decides to sue they would need to prove you're not doing clean room RE (aka you're just straight up looking at the original source code from the thing you're copying) or you're using documentation that isn't meant to be public and that's kinda hard, also REing legislation varies heavily depending on where yo live so places exists where it's completely illegal.

Nope, the source for most of those games doesn't even exist anymore.

Fuck these niggers, bring the C&D Sony. Why are these kind of devs usually fucking twats like the OpenRCT2 devs who are fucking assholes to anyone in the community who isn't a total cocksucker?

I'd need proof of that, or at least a developer statement. Most game companies don't lose source code.

Pretty much anything relating to SH HD will tells you that and why they don't have it anymore.

Nope but they willingly destroyed it to avoid "industrial spying", and considering you're talking about Konami it's not that much of a stretch just so happens that High Voltage are a bunch of incompetent fuckwads while HexaDrive and Bluepoint aren't.

Japanese game companies often destroy their source code and assets shortly after release to prevent industrial espionage.

Wrong move, they'll completely kill the game. They had some new players, around the hundreds, install the game because it was free but none of them is going to pay for it

Which is a shame, the game's good

Rollcage was the superior futuristic gottagofast game of the era, but I appreciate Wipeout for what it was. I would have never put any money towards this to begin with but it's good to inform people who cared that aren't aware so thanks OP.

I forgot
If you like it get it asap

Wait was this a remake of Ballistics on PC? I fucking loved Ballistics as a kid.