Old consoles on LCD TVs

What's the best way to pull this off? Is there some type of converter that will make the tv simulate a crt visually so it's not so it looks like it was intended to look back in the day? I'm autistic about authenticity but have no room for a CRT.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xscan.TRS1&_nkw=scanline generator&_sacat=0
ebay.com/itm/Portable-VGA-RGB-CGA-EGA-YUV-TO-HDMI-Arcade-Game-Video-Output-Converter-Board/322633735597
solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh boy.

Make room for a CRT

There are scanline generators on ebay. You put them between the signal and the tv. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xscan.TRS1&_nkw=scanline generator&_sacat=0 But honestly, if you're as bad as I was it's never gonna be enough till you break down and grab a free crt off craigslist. A LCD will never really look like a crt. Even with a fancy upscaler, they just don't handle these low resolutions quite right. Try and find the room. A 20inch crt set looks fantastic and doesn't take that much room.

Just get a CRT, it's worth it.

Why would you do that? LCDs have display lag with older systems. Do you hate having fun?

The ultimate good_enough.jpg tool (when combined with required cables):
ebay.com/itm/Portable-VGA-RGB-CGA-EGA-YUV-TO-HDMI-Arcade-Game-Video-Output-Converter-Board/322633735597

It still doesn't quite compare to a CRT but it's going to be a massive leap over composite on an LCD.

Yeah I'd love to bite and get one but there's actually no spot for it in my room. Guess I'll just have to move my old stuff into another room. What's the cutting off point you think? Anything with AV or Just up to Saturn?

For a SD CRT set use anything below PS3/Xbox 360 including the Wii.

Framemeister is the only answer. Cuts the lag down to 1 frame (absolutely unnoticeable) and can output in a format that doesn't require the tv to process it further cutting down lag from the set as well. Also accepts RGB SCART which is absolutely the best way to display retro vidya. Another nice thing is the Framemeister futureproofs you so you can upgrade to LED, OLED, and anything future set that takes HDMI @ up to 1080p.

The only catch is the price, but mine was well worth what I paid for it (around $300). Not sure what they're going for now but I know they're getting discontinued so if you want one get one soon.

get a nice desktop size CRT.

Poorfag detected.

scart is a bit of meme, I personally prefer bnc for my setup.

Explain how scart is a meme by any measure? It's a clearer video signal allowed by dividing up the signal over multiple wires.

scart is just a standard for transmitting various video types. Just because it's SCART doesn't mean it's outputting RGB, it could be doing s-video, composite, or RGB. You can send RGB through a d-sub, rca, vtr terminal, 34-pin, and of course, BNC. SCART is just another way to do it, and it has its benefits such as being able to house additional resistors/capacitors in its head, but it's not the only way to do things.

I guess it's overkill. Sure it's technically the best, but when the game is in motion, you will hardly notice a difference compared to S-Video.

Well I did mention specifically RGB SCART in my initial post. And I didn't say it's the only way to do things, you seem to be the one saying that by claiming that anything other than your preferred BNC is a "meme".

Interesting topic, I saw it on the main page. I'm thinking of getting a PS2 so I can play old games that won't run on modern computers anymore.

How can I connect a PS2 to a 4K TV and how would this run?

Your autism is weak and pitiful. You disappoint me.

nah, the scart meme is from people thinking it's the only way to do things. It's the standard in retro gaming because uh…europeans used it. Europeans did a lot of backwards things with their games and SCART is a standard that when it works fine, it works fine, but can result in a lot of noise, requires a bulky, complex cable. The meme is its relevance, get what I mean?

you don't need rgb, but rgb on a $25 B&O will look s worse than s-video on a pvm1354q. It's down to phosphor, comb filters, tweaking the signal, TVL, etc.

the abundance of 480i ps2 games guarantees it won't look pretty and will have more frames of lag on modern TVs, especially 4K ones. Strongly consider getting a secondary display for these older systems.

Find a really low resolution LCD display. Preferably a smaller one with Really good PPI.
This is virtually your only option.

this pretty much means really old ones which are notoriously ugly.

I'm not looking for image quality. I play modern games regularily on it. But ones like King Kong don't run.

and they say 14" crts are too small!

it's likely an unsupported signal.

CRTs don't suffer nearly as bad from low PPI that LCDs do.

well no, they don't use pixels though.

what

Stop staysing stupdid shit

CRTs do use pixels though. They're just not square, but they're still pixels (pixel just means picture element after all) they are more rectangular (if using Sony's aperture grill) or circular (if using conventional shadow mask)

A CRTs PPI can be calculated from its dot pitch (the distance from two phosphors of the same color) relative to the diagonal display size itself

They don't use pixels, they use masks which can of course display pixels, but it's an inherently different design. You use dot pitch to count for individual pixels but TVL for perceptible detail. There's a lot more than AG/shadow mask too, several different kinds of shadow masks although I think NEC had that technology perfected. Appreciating Chunghwa more when I do some real life comparisons.

This or bust. If you intend to get one then buy before the years end because they're stopping production after that.

I'm not a spider guys, I swear.

Its cool, just get on my ceiling and start killing bugs.

lurk shmups farm

aren't you worried he'll bite you in your sleep?

The majority of spider bros don't intentionally go after people unless someone steps on then and they react defensively. Spiders intentionally make webs where people DON'T go. Spiders try staying out of people's ways. Plus they take care of bugs that do mess with our lives like flys. Next time you see a spider bro in you're house do no squish spider bro, leave spider bro alone and tell him "Thanks spider bro, for keeping flys out of my house and being a real spider bro"

I can't walk under a tree without looking up for webs. I don't like the idea of letting them live. God forbid I surprise them and they attack. So I've been murdering for months now. Pre-emptive strikes.

I read that the daddy long legs spider kills the poisonous spiders. I will try to let him live.

you can get a Framemeister + scart RGB cables + adapter, witch is a 500$+ solution, and will still look unauthentic, too sharp, poor black levels and incorrect aspect ratio.
OR
you can get a 10$ (or sometime less) 14~20 inch TV with S-video on craigslist, witch look very nice on a nice quality set
OR
you can just use emulator witch is free

I think you're big enough to decide for yourself and realize that one of those solution is ridiculously overprice and the two other makes much more sense

Emulators.
Phat sharp pixels > blurry glowy shit.

Emulators. It's the only way. And even then it sucks.

No. It ads 1 frame of lag on top of what you're already getting from the TV.
They're an absolute joke - several hundred dollars for a scanline box when you can get better results for free with an emulator.

ossc is objectively better than framemeisters.

Not to shill for them, but My Life In Gaming did an entire fucking series of videos going into painstaking detail on this topic.

TL;DR: Hope you've got a shitload of cash. It's actually cheaper to get a small professional monitor.

I'm currently working on a way to bypass the SCART Mafia. It's going to take some time to track down a reliable source for console AV connectors, but it will be very useful, and I'll be able to sell it as a DIY kit for fucking cheap.

How does this even happen? Do you live in a closet?

Seriously. You don't need a 32" WEGA Trinitron. If anything, classic 240p/480i games look best on a smaller CRT.

this, a 14 to 20 inches CRT looks great if you sit 4 to 5 feet away from it. it fill your field of vision perfectly

My 14" Ikegami makes 480i look a lot less flickery, especially once in motion.

benefits of a good comb filter.

The CRT option is appealing enough without faggots like you especially with the fact that they can be easily gotten for free

Just look up trinitron and get one from the late 90s or older. Use craigslist or other for sale by owner apps to find them locally. Euros should try sony, b&o/bang and olufsen or loewe. JVC is good too.

ok, what exactly is a lie in my post? I think you should re-read it again. make sure you can read properly.

I have a chance to buy one of these for $30 but it's the ugly woodgrain version. Is there any way to maybe paint it or get a replacement case to not be so ugly?

The XRGB mini has a fuckload of settings and the ability to set profiles for each console that differ along with multiple fanmade websites where users dumped their personal profiles

You can once again fuck with the settings to adjust sharpness

A fault in modern HDTVs but once again it can be partially remedied by settings

It is quite literally the best option if you want to get rid of your CRT but you still want proper visuals for your games. If OP had the fucking space I'd tell him to get a PVR. The OSSC exist but thats only a line doubler/tripler. Either you're uninformed about the framemeister/OSSC and other inferior scaling devices or you're being disingenuous. You should never settle for second best when it comes to these things especially if you'll be using them for years.

Buy it and then sell it to Lazy Game Reviews for $300. Make sure you clean it first though.

Why are you doing this? Why do you feel it's necessary? Why not use a CRT? Don't you care about all the lag? Even if you get scanlines it's going to lag like a motherfucker on most modern sets.

yeah but it's 400$, way too overprice for what it does. my point is that emulation is free and does everything the XRGB mini does and more and CRTs are cheap as dirt, witch make them much more sensible solution. IMO old games will never look good on a LCDs, they will always look off to me and no setting option will ever change that. so for me payinf 400$+ for something that look like shit doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather play on emulator for free if I ever loose my CRT.

nigger the disgusting wood grain one is the one i want for some reason. give it to me

I wouldn't say that considering that a scaler that does what it's meant for dosen't exist at any price range above or below it. The best option we have for retro games is to wait for OLED tvs to take over.

OLED won't really be good for 240p.

SCART cable: $30
SCART to BNC Cable: $30
=OR=
Buying cheap ass chink cables, bogarting the populated connector and building a project box to convert to whatever fucking connector you fucking please: $10

You don't know what PPI is.
PPI = Pixels Per Inch.

OLED will still need a scaler, user.

user, at most high quality SCART cables cost $20, and if you're too poor to afford $20 for a game system you look at every day then I don't really know what to tell you.

The XRGB mini doesn't cost $400 much less $400+. What is it with niggers and inflating the price of things they don't have?

Nugger just get a CRT. People fucking give those away.

Confirmed for not knowing how it works. You're right in that it adds one frame of lag, but it removes all the lag the TV's built in scaler would cause by prescaling the image to something the TV can just display on the screen. Take it from someone who has been playing Castlevania Circle of the Moon on it via GBI, that game requires frame perfect inputs for some of the things I've been doing and I've nailed them fine. Still, I love how you're talking shit about something you've never tried and don't understand.

oups, my bad I meant 394$. very sorry for the 6$ mistake.

still 400$+ if you add price of scart cables for all the consoles you own and the necessary adapter you might need

Nice fake. Also:

And just so people can see what I'm saying without having to click the site.

the website defaulted to maple dollars for some reason.

so? 335.27$ + 16.91$ for decent shipping speed. that's still overprice though.

For you. I think it's a damn fine price for a top of the line scaler. I own one and am considering buying a second so I have a backup. It's worth every penny for how it looks on my screens (plus it allows me to convert all my old systems to HDMI so I can record them with a capture card). Still, if you want you can keep being a fox saying "Who needs grapes?!", but since the thread title is "Old consoles on LCD TVs" I'm afraid the framemeister is the end of the road on that discussion (at least for now).

His problem there was color, not PPI

Autism sure makes one hysterical.

Guess I should call you (((eec892)))

Yes goy, everyone who doesn't go the cheapest way possible is a jew.

Are you literally retarded? It's not hard. Are you too intellectually delayed that you're not allowed near a soldering iron? Learn practical skills critical for your hobby, you idiot, don't rely on a handful of people who only want to milk your wallet.

Oh, you're the tard who earlier posted that shit about the "SCART mafia". No thanks. Enjoy building your own cables while paying only half the price I do. You sure are saving so much money, mind you with how shit you are at math and price hunting (>every SCART cable costs $30 and if I keep saying it maybe it will be true) maybe you are going to the better way for you.

Funny, then why does every SCART cable cost a shitload for WIRE AND TWO CONNECTORS? Most of them are only wired up for fucking RGB, no S-Video, Composite run to the fucking Sync lead like a retard. And yes, I am saving money because I have more than one fucking console. I don't have to worry about stupid ass voltages interfering with video quality, or shorting out and fucking shit up during connect/disconnect. I don't have to worry about what video standards it supports because I built it my fucking self, I know what it can do, and if it doesn't, I can fix it.

Shill harder for your meme connector that the majority of the world rejected and only got popular after ecelebs shilled it up.

Don't fall for the SCART meme.

Seriously, this cost me all of like $6 to make. There is no excuse
I didn't even have to buy capacitors for this; the chink cable had 220uf capacitors in it that I salvaged.

Not bad for a first crack at it. Next box I build will be a few mm deeper to add a basic PCB, to ad a bit more strain relief to the internals, as well as allow for adding shit like sync stripping ICs.