When exactly did the western gaming industry start going to shit?

When exactly did the western gaming industry start going to shit?

since shovelware was a thing

sage

So, 1972?

Right after the Japanese one
Now fuckoff Rugga.
I keep seeing your shit threads pop up, back to >>>/cuckchan/ with you.

Either April 3rd 2006, October 9th 2007, or November 5th 2007.

Video games were never good

rugga always posts an unrelated anime image, though

DSP is one of the best animes out there

He does that shit with non anime now.

I recognize the Orange Box and CoD4 in there, but what's the first one?

DELET THIS

Nothing is wrong with western gaming, except that sometimes its very buggy which causes the player to fail through no fault of their own.

Can we make it a DSP thread before the mods delete it?

Horse Armor release for Oblivion.

Ah yes, how could I forget?

Really? REALLY? How am I suppose to know the camera is on if it does not tell me it is on.

The entire industry (including the east) probably started going to shit in 2005-07, though I'm not sure from what.

Stupidly big budgets that lead the the publisher making the developer put as many mechanics from as many genre's as possible leading to homogeneous, jack of all trades but master of none games like horizon zero dawn, mgsv, every ass creed and far cry game for the last 7 years, ffxv, almost every ubisoft game from the last 6 years and anything that was marketed with a phrase like "you can play the game however you want to play it".

I don't think that it's a problem specifically with western games either as the stupidly big budget and drawn out development time ruined ffxv and mgsv aswell.

it's also the reason why we haven't had a big budget western RPG since 2007

when normalfags became the main audience

the west/microsoft is actually to blame for that.

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT DO WE NEED TO HAVE THIS FUCKING THREAD EVERY FUCKING WEEK?!
THE ANSWER IS 2007 YOU FUCKING PASTE EATING RETARD!
Someone screencap this so it can just be spammed whenever another newfag OP comes and asks this question

no

No. That's not how it works around here.

2025. Mark my words, you fuckers from the past have no idea how good you have it.
Once Time machines become a thing in 2022 get one ASAP and go back to the past.

Other than 2007 being the year where 4chan got named in the media (exploding yellow vans) what really happened to video games in that time?
Why is that the magical year?

In my memories, I see efforts of various forces degrading it all over time. Nothing very sinister other than the motives by the gaming companies in the west to make TONS more money by trying to outreach to larger audiences.
I then see the rise of internet media and the form of commercialization that took (ad revenue) and the people trying to exploit a rapidly ballooning niche to try to be at the top, at the front of this cash wave.

I mean you really could chart the whole thing by the changes in TechTV when it got taken over by G4. The changes in the shows. The changes in the attitudes. The more common denominator they all ended up trying to cater to (COPS and Cheaters reruns all day!).

2007 is when gaming blew up and saw a fuckton of normalfags enter.

no, it didn't

Ok

there, now we can talk about the real issues instead of a gay meme about iphones and the fucking big bang theory lmao

Around the time certain people got ahold of a lot of things.

I would like to play against him on some games but he is not even a PC player and I assume any games we have in common he plays primarily on consoles.

Can you repeat the question?

There was this thing that happened around 07-08 called

Every single other aspect of your post is pretty much correct, however.

Sunshine is flawed, Galaxy is linear. I'd rather have Sunshine

You niggers don't remember all the "social gaming" shit that started with the Xbox 360, WoW and Steam?

When you were born you worthless tumor.

Around 2007-2008, facebook and shit like Farmville introduced a whole bunch of cultureless vampires attaching themselves to our hobby.

Not long after smart phones took off and shit like angry birds and candy crush showed kikes how stupid people can be with money.

Social media set it up and then mobile trash finished it off.

It's always largely been shit, because western game production is often flow charted and focus tested to death - killing creativity and reducing a creative medium into a production line aimed at maximizing profits above all else. While there is a lot of this in Japan, especially with their economy being shit and nobody having the money to be overly experimental, there is also that tradition of masterworks still being venerated. They're more open to auteur visionaries who hone their craft like a samuari sword being folded 1,000 times and other clumsy metaphors.

Western game development was at it's best when it was a niche and unpopular hobby, forcing devs to be creative in order to sell their products. Since the rise of the Western AAA and the Xbox 360 - Western development has become more about generating profit than making good games first and letting that generate profit.

To borrow the words of Thomas Murphy (Ex-GM president): "We at [insert western dev here] are not in the business of making games. We are in the business of making money."

Pic related of Lee Iococca, because nobody fucking knows who Tom Murphy was.

White countries have produced a ton of great games, mostly in a span of time from around 1998-2008 (the golden decade).

Japan, on the other hand… hasn't really made anything of value, and all of their half-decent (mediocre by white standards) games are straight knockoffs of white games.

Not even the most die hard nu-Holla Forums mongoloid is this stupid.
Therefore I will assume this is shitty bait.

W E W

Why do I get the feeling you made this post too

sometime around 2005. The introduction of online shooters prominently with Halo2

Name an actual good Japanese game. See?

This. You see this cultural stigma in every other western industry too. Entertainment en masse is not an art, but a product; it's about pumping out fast food instead of fine beef or whatever other metaphors suit.

Unless that philosophy changes, the bigger faces of gaming will remain tacky. But why would it change? It sells. It sells, and continues to sell, until the point where the publishers have fucked up enough times that it stops selling. But by that point, there's a new trend to mass produce, thanks to some diamond in the rough getting big like it deserved to and drawing the industry's attention.

What you should want, Holla Forums, is to focus on the more niche side of the industry, and I'm astonished you haven't realised that by now. Uplift smaller studios that have earned your support. Look at what indie devs are making and see if you can learn from that.

If you love good games, then even now there is hope. The only question is if you'll be there to play them, or let them be forgotten.

Nip games went to shit way before western games and now they're living on weaboos, but there are many good japanese games.
Like gran turismo before the PS3, the first few final fantasies, ninja gaiden, streets of rage, virtua fighter, early street fighter, pokemon up to gen 4, tokyo xtreme racer and tokyo xtreme drift series and many more.

So that was… the "eternal september" of vidya?

Mario.

I said good.

Yes, and we got doubly fucked because the gaming industry was already going down the drain with mega corporations and consoles around that time.

And that post solidified you as a baiting retard.

He's baiting but he's not wrong when he said the platformer marios were never good.

Is that you, Val? Because if so GET TRUCKED

When Hitler lost

Are you serious? Do explain how they are not good.

Where did my life go so wrong to be mistake for that faggot?

Oh nothing about what you wrote, Val is just a faggot that loves animal reaction pics and I just shot in the dark.

Not only that but this was also the time that unique original titles started to fade out. In their place the mega franchises and yearly re-releases.

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 1-3
Silent Hill 2
All of the classic Nintendo/Capcom/Konami games on the NES/SNES
Sonic 1-3&Knuckles
Shenmue 1
Okami
Persona 1-3, debatably 4&5
Viewtiful Joe
Dead Rising 1
Most if not all of the classic fighting games.
I could go on, but I feel I've made my point crystal clear at this point.

yay, someone posted my webm.

Starseige Tribes had its masterserver list taken down. Sierra also went defunct in 2008. Sierra actually liked publishing good games, like FEAR, Tribes, Half Life, Leisure Suit Larries, Winnie the Pooh, 3D Pinball, Mega Math, The Incredible Machine, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and Robert E Lee rts.

Who is this manbaby looking moron? I keep seeing videos of him fucking up at games.

Sage for the answer not mattering.

Search 'DSPGaming' on Youtube

I like having DSP threads, I T ' S F U N .

The important question isn't when it went down the drain, it's why it did, and there's a clear answer: patches. The Xbox HUEG didn't drive quality down because it didn't have free online, it only had paid XBL, so there was no patch delivery method that could be presumed to be available. PS2 had free online, but no storage of sufficient size available.
This explains why the 360 didn't immediately start the downfall of western vidya, as it had free online with XBL silver, but the 360 arcade edition had only 256mb flash storage, which just wasn't enough. Once it became clear that nobody bought a 360 without HDD however, the floodgates were blown open and the neverending shit tsunami drowned the world in buggy trainwrecks that earlier would never have been granted certification. Because you can just patch it later.

Nope not related.

I don't know when exactly the decline started, but I think 2015 is when I left. It became clear the industry was so saturated in "social justice" that you couldn't trust any developer anymore.

This never happened. This is fantasy. This is not real. People keep saying all this shit because there's like a hundred people total in the entire Western world who actually watch anime and are able to comprehend what they are seeing, and the rest of you just shit out memes all day long.

Obligatory.

Western games are so expensive they have to target normalfags.

I have more fun with Digimon, a fucking Vita port, than Horizon.

HOWEVER away from triple A trash there are some indie gems out there.

When "AA" studios/games died