Speculation: Etrian Odyssey will have one more game on the 3DS

A new interview has surfaced with Etrian Odyssey series director Shigeo Komori, celebrating the 10th anniversary of the series this year. The interview explores the past of the series, as well as its future.

Komori feels that each of his titles are culminations of the experience and knowledge he has gained up to that point. In the August 4, 2016 issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine (the same date as the Japanese release date of Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth), he stated that he had not yet decided what would lie in the future for the series, and that he would like for fans to fill out a questionnaire to hear their opinions.

After seeing those fan opinions, Komori realized that there are certain aspects of the series where he had been too obsessed with coming up with something new every time. The 10th anniversary of the series brings about the recent launch of Etrian Mystery Dugneon 2, as well as the release of various merchandise (with pre-orders on the Atlus D Shop). Alongside that, Komori sees more and more opinions from series fans on social media.

"In order to meet the expectations of these fans, I would like to deliver a “festival”-like game that can be said to be another culmination [of the series]. That’s the feeling I have, and I am currently developing a new game."

Alongside Komori’s comment of a new game in development, he states:
"This is the last game in the series that will have a map to be drawn on the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS. For specifics, I hope that you can wait until the day when we can officially announce it."

Article only confirms that this will be the last game where you can draw a map. To my understanding, that's a way of saying that the next games won't come out on the 3DS. The next logical conclusion would be that they are coming on the Switch

VI or 3U tbh.

So where does it go now? The Switch? Tbh I'd rather it come to the PS4/Vita. That way it's on a dead console I own instead of one that I don't.

PC

It'll probably be Untold 3. I'll probably play it but I probably won't be as excited as 5 if it's announced.

It'd be nice if the series moved to PC, though. Drawing maps, adding notes and icons are neat.

All good things must end. Next game is probably just Untold 3, it would be weird if they didn't finish off the remakes even though Untold 2 flopped. But what happens later? I feel very uneasy about this statement, and whether the series continues or dies it won't be the same without the mapping aspect.

Adding all the JRPG shit made me lose interest, I prefer the DS originals.

The Switch because that console is actually doing well in nippon

You're probably right. The idea of giving Nintendo money just makes me physically sick so I'd have to get a Switch used if I ever wanted to play it. I just hope they make it use both screens at all times and fucking kill this gay portable home console meme.

Then it's a good thing that IV and V is like the originals.

I hope that means only 3DS and not that they're axing map making. That's a huge part of the series. It would be like removing team building Pokemon in Pokemon.

But in which other console would they use a map drawingb mechanic? The Vita is dead and burried. Only other console with a touch screen is the Switch, but because of docked gaming, they probably wouldn't focus on portable-only game or maybe they would, I don't know, I'm just some user on the internet

Can't you use the Switch touch screen and the TV screen, like a Wii U? I'm not certain as I don't have a Switch.

I hope the next one comes to Switch. It would be the best fit. Vita is also probable but the Switch is outselling everything in Japan despite shortages already so it's not as likely. Besides you fuckers got Omega Z already…
I'm gonna miss map making on the bottom screen but I absolutely need more dungeon crawling on my Nintendo.

I gather it will be the last EO game and they'll just make Project Re Fantasy its spiritual successor. It's not really EO without the map drawing.

No, but you can use the motion controls in the right joycon as a pointer on the TV.

The Untold games are just remakes of 1 and 2. There's a story mode and classic mode in each.

IV and V are like the originals, though IV feels easier.

If they make Untold 3 then please no more locked content (like portions of dungeons and a class) behind DLC.

iOS exclusive.

Why does this game have so many sequels? It's just your below-average typical Atlus grind-2-win game.

Really makes you drink.

Git gud

Bumpin because I'm fucking depressed a series I love is gonna die

I could see it moving to phones, actually. It would also let Atlus go full jew with microtransactions like they clearly want to because people expect to get jewed on phone games.

Doesn't the switch have a touchscreen? You could easily make the series work on a single screen, you just wouldn't have map constantly up like the DS/3DS.
Or just bring the series to the PC and do a multi-window game like Lunatic Dawn, then you could just do a dedicated mapping window.