Vidya habits you have which spoil enjoyment of games

I am tired of finding myself going in and out of every fork in the road looking for weapons/powerups/exp etc in every game.

I'm also prone to autism revolving around statistics in games like keeping times killed to 0 or lowest possible race times.

How does any of that spoil your enjoyment?
You know what spoils my enjoyment?
Not being to play anything under 60 fps anymore. It left me out of some potentially great old games, like WOTS3-4 or Nox.

Jesus are being raided by reddit?

It's an autistic compulsion that bogs down the gameplay.

Jesus are always being raided by reddit my newfriend.

It's worse when you have the natural ability to always go the opposite direction of where you want to. Whenever I'm trying to search for treasure I accidentally find myself clearing the area in the fastest route possible, but when I'm sick of looking for shitty healing items and the occaisional weaker-than-my-current-equipment treasure I somehow manage to stumble into every single dead-end with a treasure box.

everytime

I hate this in particular.

Quicksaving all the time. Games shouldn't have quicksaves, or there should be a penalty for them.

Quicksaves do seem to mitigate a lot of the difficulty

I think they destroy your attention span. I remember that as a kid I could really get into a game. But I slowly turned into that guy that just presses f9 between his deaths. Now I can barely enjoy games anymore.

Oh man, that grinds my gears as well.

Happened to me on Wild Arms 3. Great game but I got bogged down on finding optional extras like Finest Arts and never finished it.

are you me?

TESIV Oblivion has fucking ruined me.

I've completely lost control over my life to agree with any default setting.

Youre kinda like me.
Do you suspect yourself having mild OCD?

*isn't

>"Wait, what if this is the path to progress and I miss out on stuff due to cutscene bullshit"

this. RPGs will usually have a really slow difficulty curve that gets ruined when you resume your run after a good month and don't remember jack shit.

maybe i should make "sandbox" saves every couple hours so if I ever come back to a game I can just faff about in the sandbox, work my way up to my current progress, and then load my non-fucked-up latest save.

OCD in general where I have to move back and forth a couple of times and do other stuff unless I want to suffer from some unknown consequence

Right there with you both. The obsession to min/max is murder to one's soul, but you just can't let things slip away. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed an RPG.

This is exactly why I don't play RPGs anymore.
I've been trying beat Tales of Eternia for the last 3 years and every time I reach the 20-ish hour mark I end up taking a "short" break that ends up lasting months. I dunno, maybe the genre just isn't for me.

Same thing happened with Persona 3, though I don't think that one is my fault. Game is just painfully slow and a chore to get through. Got around 30 hours in and dropped it due to sheer boredom.

Oh fucking Christ do I hate that. I absolutely love KOTOR II, but that goddamn bar fight on Nar Shadaa between Atton and those two Twi'lek sluts was infuriating. I almost never use Atton because I usually run with Visas and T3 who I trade out for HK. I just gave up and went with the bar counter glitch where they couldn't touch me while I spammed grenades at them.

They will find my withered husk amongst thousands of games that remain unplayed.

I know one game in particular that one-ups this bullshit

>star ocean 4
WHO IN THE FLYING FUCK THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD FUCKING IDEA!? the only solace to all of that was that you got to kill the useless character in the end due to him going full edgelord for the final boss

grind an area until I can not level any more move to next area repeat or overkill get bored play something else.

Because people are either underachiever or total failures, they seek accomplishments in videogames.
If they cannot even achieve anything remotely successful in said game, they tend to become depressive. (why am I even alive/what am I good for)

That leads often to "I have to be the very best, without any death or with best stats".
Every normalfag with a successful life will just go "lol, is just game, w/e".
Thus: The more enjoyable reallife you have, the less these game progressions will matter.

Verdict: Get a life; You will enjoy games more.

easier said than done…

I hoard items like a fucking lunatic, but never actually use them.

I take screenshots throughout my playthroughs of games, which has the secondary benefit of reminding myself what I've done in case I quit for a while. I took a 4 months break from BG1 because all those sidequests just got to me. So many wilderness areas..
It's been 4 months since I played NWN. I was about to start HotU, which means I'm already leveled.

Pig-headed stubbornness.

I won't accept an unwinnable bossfight. I will find some way to win it or just give up entirely on the game. Giant spikes in difficulty meant to try to convince me to go elsewhere result in my absolute refusal to go anywhere else because FUCK YOU, YOU THINK I'M THE KIND OF PANSY-ASS COWARD THAT'LL GIVE UP THAT EASY?

Yes, I wound up in the Tomb of the Giants when I first played Dark Souls.

You weren't even halfway through the game let alone a quarter of the way through the story. spoiler it's pretty shitty

Sucking my bf's cock while I play vidya

Hey.

Hey.

Hey.

Fuck you.
I've been trying to build the same wooden furniture out of scrap wood with tools I made from scrap steel for months now. I could have just bought the furniture or tools or actual quality wood to save myself time and effort, but I didn't. You know why? Because some of us play games like we play real life.

That actually kind of makes the new guy better because you can get him at a low level and take advantage of the +stat enhancements on level up items you can make.

I have the habit of being too lazy to think and so ADHD that I browse the chins instead of playing

But If you were to use them up you might not have them later.

You dun goofed.

Nerd I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Ironman mode and enjoy it thoroughly.

Shhhh I can't carry all my raifus.

Picking up multiple games at the same time and finishing none of them. Now I've gotten into the habit of just playing a couple multiplayer games that can be played for 20 or so minutes and one longer game.
Works alright.

Savescumming is also something I'm terribly guilty of when given the opportunity.

I've been trying to break my habit of rotating a bunch of different games at once and just fully focusing and exploring one until I beat it.

I'm stuck in this rut as well.

I do actually get unrelated shit done in between the breaks I take. Mostly VNs, though.

This.
TFW when it turns out the boss has infinite HP and hacking the boss dead either freezes the game or proceeds as if you've lost.

discipline yourself and refuse to start another game before completing one.

You need to limit yourself, it really makes games more enjoyable. For example in Stalker I now only save at campfires and the auto-saves between areas. In Doom/Quake I now only save at key doors, so have 1-3 saves per level. If you just quick save all the damn time you might as well have god-mode on, a death costs you maybe 10 seconds of progress, and you can just keep blindly flinging yourself at whatever was giving you trouble till you beat it, whereas if dying means you have to go through a few minutes of play again you're going to be more mindful of it.

Having complete freedom to save whenever you like is nice for goofing around, for example you can try something stupid that will probably kill you without wasting loads of time. But at the same time it's easy to fall into a stupor of constant quick-saving, exercise self control.

.>>13354828

I just stopped to count all the games that I'm currently playing at once.
30 games. This is fine.

or

I have to do ALL THE FUCKING SIDEQUESTS before I can move on to the main quest, because that's the kind of shitfuck that I am. It bugs the everloving fuck out of me if a quest has to be postponed until after I complete some segment of the main quest. I'm liable to throw the game away at that point. I don't know why. It's my autism, I guess.

This same sort of thing is happening to me, but instead of trying to fix stuff I just won't bother with games for fairly minor reasons precisely because I don't want to go through with trying to fix it. It's even worse with game mods though, I'll not use otherwise good mods if it has just one feature I don't like, or something like sloppy UI elements that I can't somehow fix.

This habit almost ruined Dragon's Dogma for me. Mostly because some of the MMO tier sidequests in that game are just horseshit.

Skies of Arcadia (legends) was terrible for that. It had a times killed counter as well as a ‘chests found’ counter (there are plenty of ‘one time only’ chests). If you have max currency when you find a chest, you can’t pick up the contents if it’s money. Nuts.

This shitty board needs a rule where anybody complicit in the derailing of a thread gets banned.
The person doing the derailing, the person falling for the bait, all those people need to be fucking removed.

Ban evaders are the worst people, we do not want you here.

leave

LEAVE

LEAVE

This shitty board needs a rule where anybody complicit in the derailing of a thread gets banned.
The person doing the derailing, the person falling for the bait, all those people need to be fucking removed.

leave

LEAVE

LEAVE

And what is this post other than derailing the thread, dumbass?

Compulsive saving, particularly in RPGs. Saving at least once before every dialogue sequence because I'm paranoid about accidentally skipping things or wanting to go back and make another choice. Making tons of saves in different slots after very hour or so, in case I later discover I fucked myself by building my character wrong or chose some other option I didn't understand.

I savescum like a motherfucker.
It really kills the enjoyment of games.

Just, like, stop savescumming lmao.

EO?

major depression for half a decade
I can barely ever enjoy a videogame nowadays. Most often I just start up a game, stare at the title screen for a few minutes then quit and lie down on my bed.

You'd think any sort of game developer who'd be at the slightest risk of having this sort of shit end up in their game would at least have played a game with this sort of shit in it before and would know how fucking horrible it is.

You'd think any sort of game developer who'd be at the slightest risk of having this sort of shit end up in their game would at least have played a game with this sort of shit in it before and would know how fucking horrible it is.>>13354127

>sv_pure :^)

Lots of anons here mentioning quicksaving, savescumming and such.
You should feel a little better, because it's not much of your fault, and more of the game's.
Having to quicksave often is a result of poor game design.
Ask yourself, "what happens if I die in this game"? If the answer is "I die, the game stops, and I have to return to my latest save", Then you're just doing a rational thing by saving whenever you can after doing impactful actions. Proper continuous games, not based on levels or checkpoints need actual death mechanics to take place when the player dies or fails so that the player isn't forced to load.
If your problem is save scumming, it's a bit of your fault and the game's. If the games give you an absolute game over, you're just playing around that. But if the game has proper penalties and consequences for dieing while not continuing to be playable, you're just cheating your way out of things, you're enforcing on yourself the "die, load" kind of gameplay that is allegedly not fun. That's why games should either limit saving or even better, using well tought out autosave systems.
You anons should play some Dark Souls or something like that as a sort of detoxification from this saving mania. And to realise that if the games are well designed around it, quicksaving isn't needed at all.

I am unable to play RPGs without being glued to a walkthrough/spoilers because I'm afraid that I'll miss some secret item or choose some upgrade that will gimp me down the line.

Really any dungeon crawler counts.

What about Far Cry 2?

Nigga, just play it. So what if you miss something or took an unoptimal route?
Unless you're playing a hard mode mod or something like that where you need to know where to get the good stuffs as soon as possible, nothing will probably gimp you bad enough.