So about that "Games Journalist" who failed at Cuphead

I only recently came across the video of Dean Takahashi's (of VentureBeat) absolutely abysmal playthrough of Cuphead at Gamescom. I'm not going to link it but if you haven't seen it, it's 26 minutes of cringe.

Scrolling through the comments, I see one about how Dean wrote an article about the game and tries damage controlling about how bad he is after everyone rightfully called him on his shit. Here's the problem about the article; he doesn't do any fucking research.

I'll post an archive link to the article and to the selection that stuck out to me (also pic related): archive.fo/Xcer4#selection-3163.307-3163.531

He gives credit for Super Meat Boy to the team behind Cuphead and not to Team Meat (Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes). What makes this completely baffling is that he has spent 21 years in this industry. 21 fucking years and he can't even be bothered to do any fucking research whatsoever.

TL;DR - "Game journo" sucks at video games AND at being a journalist.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/J9M2t
archive.fo/UhF43
linkedin.com/in/deantak
archive.fo/m5eo1
elsewhere.org/pomo/
archive.fo/rv05L
archive.fo/6tcTo
archive.fo/Ph7Cf
exhentai.org/s/a904fd9dc8/1106481-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How does one even become a games journalist? If this is the competition I feel like it would be easy money being one.

25 years of experience as a journalist, and this is the best he can do.

By being friends with some hipster yuppie. Its all nepotism.

People prefer to call it "networking." If you call it something else it becomes something different entirely!

Nepotism and slipping your sausage into purple-haired land whales.

but you guys told me japanese people were the master race

For the credentials he touts, that's astoundingly terrible. What're the chances all that experience touted is just a farce?

It calls into question his entire career. How many games did he review and give a low score due to his own incompetence?

Japanese people tend to live in Japan, not in SanFran Bay Area.

Literally, just know people, usually through something awful forums.

>25 YEARS
>25 FUCKING YEARS

I looked his name up for articles.
archive.fo/J9M2t
Headline: Dean Takahashi doesn't know what the hell he's talking about
May 27, 2011

And I'm starting to think he was the guy who just announces upcoming stuff. I barely get any old articles from him.
"EA wants fans to vote on Stuff Pack expansion for The Sims 4"
archive.fo/UhF43

You've seriously never lied on a resume to get a cushy job, OP?

You've lied on a resume to get a cushy job user?

post hints faggot

I've never been offered a cushy job, but I've done the other thing.

I've never had a job.

Shit, it's at the point now where I live where you need to lie to get a shitty minimum wage job. Make sure to blow plenty of smoke up the 105 iq manager's ass too.

Me being a NEET is merely a SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

Wait, is this about a video games board owner who game over'd 12 times in Sonic Mania?

You don't become a videogame journalist by working hard, you become one by knowing the right people. Imagine how vidya journalism would be if the people who worked in it were huge fans who actually knew what they were talking about.

From what I could tell looking back at his articles, all this guy does is write filler garbage for websites.

I don't understand how someone could actually go to university for years and end up doing this, a random paragraph generator could probably do his job better, and sound less full of shit.

You are under the false assumption that all game journos went to study journalism at school.

But surely they at least studied enough english to know how to google

user pls

Well he did, got a Masters degree.
linkedin.com/in/deantak

300 MONTHS

Will he ever pay his debt back?
Why even go to study journalism?
You don't need a degree to download periscope and drive where things are happening.

Here's his low-energy damage control statement regarding showing how much of a fucking degenerate he is when it took him a minute and a half to figure out to jump in a platform on Cuphead. I'll give a TL;DR:

You fucking entitled gamers and your skills! FUCK YOU! CATER TO ME, GAME CREATORS! VIDEO GAMES ARE ART AND THIS IS THE REASON WHY VIDEO GAMES AREN'T SEEN AS AN ARTFORM!

What a retard

This is a textbook example of why GamerGate exists.

Even putting the faggotry of his content aside his formatting is fucking garbage.

Enjoy

Are american colleges the equivalent of a third world preschool?
I could probably find a nigger child who'd take less time to jump past that obstacle.

Not even that. In this analogy Geoff would be a person who claims he has 25 years of experience in eating but he's been fed through IV his entire life.

Now give me a textbook example of why its dead. Existence is futile when you aren't alive.

Give that man any megaman game that isn't mighty number 9.

Games really show psychological traits of a person, and how good he's at them and what's his gaming preferences. A man who cannot jump past two button obstacle also wants to kill the president, idolizes capitalist goods while promoting communism and shares his wife with a nigger. If he's comparing criticism of bad play to hate and trolling, that person is ultimately done for. Even if its done for clicks, its so low, its not even worth it, you will be forever remembered as a person worse than DSP in gaming community.

Call me when you will confirm that jews are behind casual gamers.

GamerGate has been dead every year since it began. Every big release, every big controversy, every violent act, is somehow GamerGate's fault even though it died years ago. It's dead the same way Batman is dead. It's what bad people tell themselves so they can sleep.

At least he remembered how to air dash at the start here.

I swear there was a Penny Arcade comic about this guy not taking Dennis Dyack's shit back when Too Human was getting shilled everywhere but I can't find it and fuck actually trudging through the sites thousands of strips. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

Why the fuck does he keep trying to jump on their heads? This ain't Mario. Does he not know what "run and gun" means?

Kate Upton is better at this game than this guy with 18 years experience.

Reminds me of Mark for some reason.

Why are you being hostile to someone who's viewing the game as a beginner? Are you that intolerant of people who aren't "gamers"? You can't tell me that you would've realized that jumping on enemies doesn't work after the first time you try it and taking damage and leaving the enemy unharmed.

Someone reminded him he has another gun he can switch to. It didn't help much.

Be so bad at your job other more mainstream publications reject you, Kiss the ass of those who already are, be more then happy to take bribes which you then sell on ebay and the most important qualification hate video games.

No, to make the analogy more appropriate Geoff would be someone who ate nothing but McDonalds his entire life. Geoff the 300 pound man love McDonalds so much he gets discounts from there because the manager feels sorry for him. One day a bakery opens up and Geoff writes in his review that the bread from that bakery is shit because it's too fluffy and there's no McDonald's secret sauce.

The music makes this hilarious, without it it would be just sad.

To be fair to Mr. Takahashi, after ~11.5 minutes, he started showing signs of baseline understanding. Here you can see him taking angled shots and attempting to switch weapons to suit the enemy at hand. The execution is still a disaster, of course.

It's like watching someone have a stroke. You can just feel the neurons burning away.

He's still trying to jump on enemy heads like it's Mario. He hasn't learned a damned thing.

Downie would play better. We are looking at someone incapable of handling games on a fundamental level.

The worst part is, even though he still fails this badly, it does seem like he's learning compared to the other examples.

Didn't know it was gonna be Contra Mickey Mouse edition. Kind of excited for it now. Only thing I don't like is that the enemies don't really react to being shot.

The levels are a last minute addition, they only made boss fights but then Microsoft was like WTF man make levels.
Wish it stayed just bosses.

This is the guy who called W40k space marines a gears of wars rip off. Yes I'm mad.

holy shit this show. I remember when it was first announced everyone shat on it. Is it actually worth watching?

no
you're seeing the highlights in most youtube videos. Its a really bogstandard children's show apart from those.

well shit. Does anyone have any more webms?

I'm not a fan of that music truth be told. I get what they're going for but it doesn't fit for a run n gun type of game.

Another Lügenpresse thread?

Why does he keep running into the enemies?

Because the game is a Mario-like so jumping on enemies damages them.

But i don't remember you being able to jump on enemy projectiles in Mario.

What is a bullet bill

Those "projectiles" sexually identify themselves as collectable coins, stop being so bigoted.

The music is great imo. Judging by the webms it's probably the best part of the game along with the mickey mouse style. I don't really care about the rest.

Who jumps on fireballs though?

Thanks user. That last one was more on the cringey side.

Lemme guess he gave Tacoma a great score

True.

tons of people, while spin jumping

Of course, as soon as I gave him credit for slightly learning, he goes back to being entirely retarded. Maybe he has early onset Alzheimer's?

Why does this look like it's actually pretty good?

He probably stopped playing and gave the controller to someone else.

Sad that the art is the only thing going for this crap game

Yes, like a any Mario game.

Bu guys, this game is the Dark Souls of Mariolikes.

The music really adds to this loony tunes style shit show.

(хейль гитлар)
Just like Hollow Knight, amirite?

No, that game was the Roguelike of Dark Souls mixed with the Gone Home of Mariolikes.

Hollow Knight fucking sucks. Why is that game praised to high heaven and back?

I liked it.

Well that's (you)'re opinion.

You're that fag that called Cuphead the most hyped game of the year, aren't you?

I don't mind that you like it, I mind that nearly every news outlet, every youtuber and even a few anons here parade it like it's the best metroidvania ever when it's not even close to being above average.

The sad thing is I can see this happening. If I created a video game I would have a separate super easy mode called "video game journalist mode". Basically gives you god mode and sucks you off the entire game while all dialog is replaced with psudo-liberal arts bullshit.

Well… Just look at who's the head of Zenimax.

I would just have game journalist mode be like a safe space all the enemies turn into cute fluffy things while the game subtly mocks you for choosing the difficulty.

archive.fo/m5eo1
Updated: How many ways can THQ’s Space Marine game rip off Gears of War?
Best part:

Watching the Northernlion Live Super Show was painful around the time following its release, because Nick would praise it constantly and beg others to play it, with extra butthurt when they said they weren't interested (You guys just hate new things reeee). Then, huge fucking hypocrite that he was, he was so opposed to PUBG he would either not appear for or outright veto it being played, and not even comment on why, while the others gave solid reasons for not playing/liking Hollow Knight as if it were the second coming.

elsewhere.org/pomo/ use a text to speech to read articles generated here.
if one were to collect and publish it, you could make every postmodernist philosopher homeless, because script takes a minute~ to generate a book while a retard takes months

i'm sure he has his job because he knows how to write decent articles, not because he's good at video games. it doesn't matter how much better you are at this game, you don't have journalism skills.

holy lel, i can't even believe that article's true
???
man what the fuck am is this? an article thrown together by some kind of an article generating algorithm?

I admit I sperged out a bit but praising it so far reminds me a lot of undertale, it's putting something mediocre on a massive pedestal and it's utterly baffling that so many people could think that way. And no I'm not that user.

Honestly it's not even surprising.

no he has a job because he fellates all his bosses.

Nigga, journalism is a writing style and knowing how to do research. There isn't much skill behind it, especially not for games journalism. There is skill behind exposing, say, Enron's bullshit, but not much at grabbing shit from the wire and making an article about it.

Are they trying to do that thing again where they pretend to be retarded for more clicks? Then gonna attempt the bait and switch of "it doesn't matter if I'm bad at the game, I should still be able to review it" despite that being that fundamentally bad at the thing you are reviewing would at the very least means you did not even interact with it as intended?

Even if the audience may be a complete novice or dumbass, the person who is suppose to be telling novices about said product/media/subject is expected to know what the fuck they are talking about. Common whipping boy in media, the sports writer, may suck balls at the sport they write about, but knows damn well how it "should look". With games, since you must interact with them, there is an expected level of ability to know how to interact with the damn thing.

Like being able to read the fucking instructions that are right in front of you. He didn't even press Y for half the jumps. No, you know what, that was a perfect tutorial. It wouldn't let him pass because he was too retarded to go forward. As far as technical writing goes probably could have had another arrow saying "stand here while jumping then press forward", but this is a moot point, He can't "use it as intended".

So it was trolling. What, is he pulling a DSP, and playing bad on purposes now for more evidence? Is he reading this thread? Is this guy suppose to be a "professional reviewer" right? If someone who can't cook is reviewing frying pans and blame the frying pan for burning down his house, I'm gonna to have suspicious of his "judgement".

See for examples of how skilled at journalism he is.

see and stop insulting programmers (^:
every postmodernist text is 100% grammatically sound

Fuck I hate American 50s cartoons style, music, art and characters.

Try this.

Cuphead's based off of the 30s, aka the period right after Steamboat Willie came out.

Okay then, 30s.

did someone raped you when you were watching cartoons?

Because CN hates it and shuffled it off to boomerang to die, so they can air more teen titans go, and the occasional steven universe..

I wish.

No one's suggesting he needs to be some kind of pro gamer, but he needs to at least have a base level of skill to be able to properly understand what he's playing so he can fairly evaluate the thing. You don't need to be a master painter to critique a painting, but you need eyes.

Opposite for me. I absolutely love it! I think that style (and the Tezuka Style) are HIGHLY unrepresented in the media.

It is, the episodes are short and easily digestable, perfectly enjoyable for a short break as long as you're not some pretentious faggot that needs to constantly jerk yourself silly about watching only the most mature deepest adult programming for mature adults.

Why do you have no soul, user?

Nice distraction Dean, you're still shit.

You're wrong for liking thing I don't.

Because it doesn't do anything particularly wrong gameplay wise, has loads of hidden content and even better content/price ratio and just generally lacks any significant default. It's just a good game in current year and whatever reason you have to be so down on it and everyone who likes it is probably not too rational.

But Boomerang is pretty much the only channel that's still good. or at least it was when I still watched TV

How can someone be this delusional? It's like a literary critic publicly struggling to read the first paragraph of a book for 20 minutes and then insulting readers for wanting "difficult" novels because they might be hard for people WHO DON'T FUCKING READ to enjoy, berating the author for expecting basic literacy from their audience.

Journalists are a disgusting breed of subhuman we should have purged from our race a long time ago. That being said, what do you expect from leftists that have been raised in an environment where no expectations were placed upon them and everyone told them they can do no wrong?

Of course it's the game's fault the mental invalid can't jump over a fucking obstacle despite clear instructions on how to do it right in the middle of the screen. You can't expect self-awareness from these animals, in his mind everyone is just being an evil bigot for expecting someone that writes about games for a living to be halfway competent at playing them. All I'm surprised is that he hasn't dropped the race card yet. Then again, he's Japanese so it's not like that would help any.

Jesus Christ

I suspect he's a hapa, soldier rape baby.

you're fucking retarded. Gamergate lives in the minds and hearts of all internet sjws. Even msm thinks trump won because of gamergate.

IT FUCKING HAPPENED

bitch you prolly don't even know who cab calloway is.

Holy shit this video is incredibly frustrating.

I'd be posting a few more of those if I'd saved them from other threads.

It's very easy to use YDLG to grab webms.

Post the fucking source.

I don't know if I should worry or laugh. This shit is to funny and depressing, why isn't jewtube e-celebs covering this

I might have to buy cuphead on launch just to show this stupid cunt what an actual fucking competent human looks like.

Also he continues to waste time on enemies that keep respawning, isn't the goal to just get to the end, with the enemies only being there to slow you down? He doesn't need to waste his time on respawning enemies and can just focus on the ones in front of him blocking his path.

or judging from this, maybe he's just incapable at planning ahead, does he even know what the goal is? why does he continually crouch to shoot at their feet? This makes me feel better about having actual brain damage.

Because some know they are just as bad as he is.

HE GOT BAITED INTO IT WELL DONE DANKMEMESIR

What if this is all an elaborate ruse to get people buying the game just to prove how retarded this guy is?

Then the people behind the ruse either don't realize or don't care that it's also a perfect chance to get normalfags to start hating journos.

It's been done before.

got it from the current gamergate thread.

archives

Damn, that's pretty brutal.

DO IT FOR ANIME TIDDIES

THE ULTIMATE MEMETIC HUMAN FORCE OF THE SOUL AGAINST RETARDED MORALFAGGOTS AND CULTISTS

Noooo.

It goes to show you that even back then they all knew what sort of trash the industry had to wade through.
The interesting thing is that instead of all these old devs being on the side of people that are against these paid shills and idiots they went ahead and sided WITH them.
Which really just shows how being at a different tier in the business really changes your perspective and tastes.

I'm so sad to see the indie game scene so fucking pozzed.

I read this really long ass article on why this is. tl;dr devs just want gamers to buy their shit, journos do so much more. It was pretty enlightening.

I always get this dude's name confused with my favorite doujin artist

Sup Holla Forums. All of those were cringey. Feel free to keep jerking ((them)) off and pretending you're in control of your life.

A lot of old magazines were usually staffed by family members of the executives for the company the magazine was for, so in a sense it was just suits keeping an eye on their investments with psuedo managerial teams. Now, it's just asskissing dipshits who are thirsty for a PR or CM position.

How much does all of this pathetic sellout and corruption shit does Persona 5 rip apart?

I haven't played or paid attention to any of the persona games so I don't know.

lucky sob

Sounds a lot like yiff, oriental yiff.

you watch too much electricJew
:^)

I heard 5 is a straight up redpill on shit like journalism and systematic corruption, willingly swallowing the worst conplete bullshit just to get ahead or for interests no matter what it causes.

Also, the director or someone else primarily behind it expected Trump to win and marked it as "the turning point" of the world.

There are zero redpills in the entirety of the SMT franchise and any insistence otherwise is wishful thinking. It's philosophy dumbed down for Japanese teenagers.

Networking is when you go out and suck dick and get chummy specifically to get a job. Nepotism is when people in a field, or division, or a company, etc. only allows their friends and family in over anyone else even if they're not qualified for the job. Technically most networking is basically going to end up being nepotism but really in the context of corruption nepotism is when you prioritize kinship over any other qualities.

Is there more?

That is some insanely fine animation.

It's amazing how they used to have these amazing hand-drawn things animated at 12-24 fps (all the Russian ones too) and today we get tweened Flash-looking garbage.

What, you don't like modern cartoon network? :^)

Nothing wrong with nepotism.
Why would you favor profit over family?

How can I spend half of my free time as an animator doing shitty let's plays if it actually takes time and dedication to make anything?

this is sadly true. But I would say their are some good thought provoking ideas in the game series that could ultimately lead to red pilling in the future. So its not entirely garbage ether, particularly compared to other games. Knowing about Gnosticism is important, but being a gnostic is not redpilled.

I am going to need a reliable source for this one.

also to get back on topic
well Now I'm very interested. I was not honestly sold by the nostalgic aesthetic, but if this turns out to be a solid Contra game then sign me up.

Nothing wrong with purple haired landwhales infecting the industry, nothing wrong with marxist assholes pushing their agenda everywhere. Fuck outta here with your bait post

Is that why neogaf was shitting on it and all the wrong people raging about the translation?

source?

Clearly he has never played a videogame in his life
and this person has been on the videogame industry for 25 years?

I think he has been a journo for 25 years and games journalist for 18. Still absolutely amazing how he is allowed outside without a safety helmet.

Sounds about right. Video game journalism has been seen as a joke since it started.

Fair warning, this was originally a boss rush game. They added the run'n'gun stages only after casuals (and journos) complained that you can't make boss only games because blah blah blargh, no way that could ever be good pic not related

The platforming levels look like they're probably going to be boring to play, but I'm such a huge flaming graphics whore it could play like Kirby and I'd still love it. Also the bosses look to be insanely great no matter what.

His "playing" is just mobile shit.

Doing something nice for your family is good, but not if it puts a piece of shit with no qualification whatsoever in charge of something that can be important.

Damn it, I swore an exact thread here had that kind of interview or comment yet basically no one replied to it.

He was talking about family free rides, dumbass. Settle down.

who's this slut?

I still wouldnt hire a family member if he/she cant do the job. Exception of course for some jobs where one can pick up what to do quick.

Yusuke "You're a meshi" in a wig.

I think what the devs were going for was something like Alien Solider in that it's a boss game, and only added platforming segments at request from players. I remember that at one point they were going for a world record for number of bosses in a run-and-gun game (something like 28-30 over Treasure's 25 in Alien Soldier); I have no idea if they're still doing that, since they haven't commented on that on their twitter.

I dunno if it's because the ones shown off the most were all grassland styled. Video related showed off a new platforming level will post mp4 link in a bit around the 10:09 mark.

It's actually pretty good. The animation is low quality, but the jokes are written well enough.

I like Cuphead enough to get it, but the only remaining question is how pozzed the devs are. Anyone got any info?

the entire show is the writers making fun of sonic and the sonic fandom
its excellent.

The only thing that I know about them is thay they are brothers that genuinely love old cartoons and games, they doubled down on dropping everything to make this game and that's all i know

Cross Coda

They haven't followed Zoey Quinn or anything, or at least last time I checked.

Yeah, they seem like good folk. I hope it's a success for them.

Actually if you had better reading comprehension you'd note I said friends and family.

Hell if I know. The only things I was worried about regarding the game being screwed over because of hubris was them possibly having made the devil not solid black because of some asshurt journo bitched about him around the game's reveal and them adding Denuvo, and since the game is on GOG I don't even have to worry about that.

Much obliged.

It looks fairly competent, and there doesn't seem to be any red flags to speak of, unlike Nu Man's Lie.

At least the literal retards from any high school's special ed can follow instructions. As to how a…
Well that explains it.

Actually I would recommend it, you are seeing the highlights for meta jokes but is still a good show overall.

lel

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THE MADMAN DID IT

For a very long time now I've been relying mainly on word of mouth from various friends (sources of varying tastes either aligned or unaligned with my own) and thanks to the internet age raw game footage found on youtube.

Very rarely do I ever jump into a game as a day-1 buy. If I do this it is usually because it is in a series that I can be reasonable about my expectations with.
Sonic Mania is a very recent example of a day-1 buy and that's because I had played the old Genesis games and enjoyed them and saw that Mania was going to be in that same style of development. My expectations were well met and in some ways exceeded.
But also in that same thought, it doesn't take much to break my trust with it. MGSV is a good example of where my trust in a series was broken forever.

>>>/out/

We need that narration over the top of Cuphead's gameplay.

That's not surprising. Platforming has always been one of the weakest aspects of the run and gun genera.

"Social Experiment"? Is this guy serious? Just do your fucking job you faggot cunt! This social master manipulator larping shit is cringey. They always pull this shit when they fuck-up. "It was a social experiment, I'm actually a fucking genius yo". "Even though I made myself look like a complete jackass, in front of people who actually play games as their hobby". The sheep's wool has truly covered all our eyes you stupid faggot, no talent having JournoCuck. Somebody stomp a fucking mud hole in this guys ass.

RESEARCH
there is no need for research whatsoever
if you have 21 years in the industry, the basics of 2D platformer should be engraved in your fucking soul regardless if its a genre (shut em up, hack slash, etc)
he failed at the very basics and then come with
NO YOU FUCK
if you have 21 years in the industry you should already have mastered the basics

FUCKING HELL

It's okay because only 18 of those were in video games. :^)

Seems to be pretty safe then. All this plus the fact that it's on GOG means they got a sale from me unless they somehow pull a last-minut pozzing like Yooka-We-Hate-Sales-And-Success-Laylee.

regradless, have anons master piece respnse to his playthrought

WOW dude it DOESN'T WORK. Already a fucking game bug, can you believe this shit?

pretty sure we already had a webm of this, faggot

i think the thought of just tap the directional to make the character turn around never croessed his mind so he HOLDS the fucking directional EVERY SINGLE TIME

it was a good metroid game, the industry lacks it right now
it probably it

im more pissed to dead cells

the signs were there but i was too stupid to read them

I can't find a Dennis Dyack comic with dean takahashi, were you confusing it with this?

Man I can't wait for Sept 29 now.
He'll make his tweets protected calling it now.

Fuck.
I can't really place this feeling that I have right now.

fug

Oh shit, we can't let some user get 10 or so views; he's practically an e-celeb

and if we didn't, we do now

What happens on 29th?

A reluctant bitter-sweet shaudenfreude?

Priss from the Bubblegum Crisis series
specifically, the shot is from Bubblegum Crash, the second series in the series of series

it's about hot chicks with suit robots fighting replicants in cyberpunk tokyo

Judging from context its probably when this game comes out and everyone can get their own footage of the first time playing the game to show how bad this cocksucker is.

I thought cleve spend 24 years on it, ironically another well researched article was made by some journo faggot who thought it was 20.

Someone should just get a 7 year old kid, or really just anyone who's been alive less than the amount of years he spent being a video game journalist, to get past the jump+dash portion. And just emphasize that.

wasn't cuphead originally going to be a windows 10 exclusive (for pc) or something.

because MS had thrown money at it, they marketed it with the Win10 logo but the devs confirmed on twitter that it would work on Win7

Can you dash through enemies and gain i-frames? Or is it more for just for movement.

They did an entire episode about Chris-chan.

Thanks user. Love that old art style.

I love how Chris actually concluded it was not him, since he isn't that weird or something. Despite the whole arm color issue.

It was a parody of Misery with a hint of Chris-chan.

This thread needs more old cartoons.

This show is surprisingly awesome. It's amazing what you're capable of once you've hit rock bottom and stop giving a shit what people think.

When everyone hates your show for what it tries to do, you either end it or change over to self-deprecating humor.

I heard the writers are actual Sonic fans.

Lmao its current year lad, that doesnt happen anymore

Apparently these ones got away with that, it also helps that the show is not made in the US.

Ian Flynn wrote at least one episode for it. There's different writers for the show, like a few were former Invader Zim and MLB writers, iirc.

Gaming journalists don't play video games. Why would they waste time learning about the products they shit on incessantly when they can just deconstruct the surface-level shit to dump as much political nonsense into the discussion as possible? Every big feminist "gamer" does exactly that every second of the day; they make massive amounts of money being victims with minimal effort and research, and they're still giant names because they inject themselves and their agenda at every chance.

Journalism is dead. They don't do research, they don't believe in basic facts, and they don't hold objectivity as the gold standard. Shove this shit in the face of every normalfag you can find and make them hate journalism with every fiber of their being.

In any case, the show is quite good, just too bad the games were horrible, if there was another Sonic Racing I would like to see the Sonic Boom incarnations in there.

It really does.

Almost all the comments on that video are about fucking Game Theory, Undertale, or that Bendy game.

Well there's your problem.

It has more to do with the fact this fuckstick attributed the development of Super Meat Boy to the Cuphead devs and not to Team Meat (based on the article in OP). Game mechanics are one thing; having the knowledge that Super Meat Boy exists but not doing any research as to who made it is fucking incompetent.

They caught the devs out by associating anyone putting down journalists with literally Hitler. So now we have a scenario where devs are either dense retards who buy into the narrative, or people who know to keep their heads down if they want to avoid drama.

He plays like literal retard who is absolutely not capable to learn. The people who never played videogames in their life can do better than this worthless waste of space.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?
It's like thinking same person made Mario and Sonic
If he was my wife's son I would disown him

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?
He must be a pro dick sucker or something

I don't understand why Cuphead is so popular. Is it the mass advertising? I even saw Conan from Clueless Gamer play it, so it must be. I mean, it looks great, but it's so weird seeing it hyped so much when normalfags aren't into platformers anymore.

it has nice art style
don't know much about studio/publisher

Yeah but Rayman Legends/Ori and the blind forrest had a better art style and wasn't as popular. I guess there was just never a game in Cuphead's style. Still, the art style really attracting so so many fans is weird.

Consider it done.

It's been on stage at E3 for 3 years now, so really there shouldn't be any surprise that it has a bit of hype.

It's the art style. We haven't really seen a game with that kind of aesthetic, it looks/sounds like a genuine cartoon from the 1930's.

The gameplay is very plain and standard though. It's really a case of style over substance.

Art style + 3 years of E3 hype + advertising it is then. I'll play it, looks fun. I'm just a bit disappointed because some other platformers aren't getting as much recognition. Valdis Story, Fortune Summoners, Ori, Rayman, Shantae, should've been more popular.

LIKE POTTERY

So how long until Sonic's voice actor actually takes this stuff to heart and stops willingly being a retarded pretentious faggot?

I gasped and nearly teared up at this. Thanks.

Normalfags will never accept the Shae-shae into their hearts.

same
they do amongst right people
worst thing that can happen to a good game these days is it turns more than enough profit
you might like Out There Somewhere

We will show the power of delicious 2D brown and titties.

wew

I can't be the only one that thinks he's comparing Cuphead to Mario not because of gameplay but because he's just so out of touch with games that he thinks every platformer with cute characters automatically have to play similar to Mario.

Another thing with being out of touch is to actually think Mario is easy. I recently replayed the first 3 mario games, including the lost levels version, no warps, no tricks, no running on top, no saves. They are fucking hard games, lost levels being in the top 3 hardest platformers (that are fair) ever.

These people never finished the original SMB. How can you call yourself a gamer if you didn't even play fucking Mario?

25 FUCKING YEARS

>he didn't even take the word DASH as an obvious hint that this was the way to get around that rock
>eighteen years in games journalism, twenty-eight years in any formal journalism job, and over thirty-five years of living on this planet, and he still needed to be told that standing on a higher-elevated object can give you more height in a jump
Post yfw you will never, EVER be as bad at vidya as Dean Takahashi because I sure could use some, honestly
archive.fo/rv05L

Speaking of artstyle, I noticed that the character animation looks faithful to traditional frame by frame animation. And it shows in some demos and behind the scene videos. But when I see it in motion in gameplay, it still looks like it's, how do I say it, computer animated despite the frame by frame animation of Cuphead and the enemies. Is it the camera? Is the game using Unity, hence why it feels like it's character is animated by tweening with the frame by frame animation as a cover like a gif for a skin? Compare to Sonic Mania, another game with smooth frame by frame animation. Rarely do I feel like the character animation used tweening. I do believe they both run at 60 frames per second. Actually, have you guys noticed that in the trailers, especially in the last pic, it looked more like it's animated like a movie? Any animationfags here?

You can tell when someone's a fake when the game is clearly a run and gun action game then they think it's like Mario just because their both 2D games.

This shit head literally has 89 IQ

what the fuck lads

Non-animationfag here, but I think it might be due to how the characters are animated at a similar framerate as that of an old cartoon (roughly 20 or 24fps?), yet the game runs at 60fps, which can throw people off. It's one of those extremely rare cases where I know the game will play better at 60fps, but I'd actually rather have it at 30fps because it fits the aesthetic far better. The fact that the animation is also digitally colored as opposed to hand-painted might also have something to do with it.

The magic with the older Mario games is that they can be either harder or easier depending on how you play them, rather than being overly strict obstacle courses like too many platformers are nowadays.

The animation might be running faster and more smoothly than actual period animation, giving it the appearance of being.. non hand-drawn.
Try looking into "Shooting on Twos" and note old cartoons ran at 24fps apparently. Could be that while the Cuphead devs imitated the style of the animation, they failed to imitate the technical limitations (probably for good reason).
t. someone who doesn't know anything about animation
Let me fucking post, Hotwheels.

We had a whole thread about it, thanks for being too lazy to check the catalog though.

Is that the new "at least I'm not Anthony Burch"?

Animator fag here to answer you're queries.

The animation of cuphead and the enemies is at 25fps to capture the aesthetics of traditional cinema hand drawn animation. The game runs at 60fps for performance and player input response time.

No, there is no tweening in this. You want to see what tweening looks like example look up Dorales and associates, or Rick and Morty. Tweening usually looks stiff, because…well it is.

Sonic Mania animation is much less than Cuphead, most animations only go up to six frames of animation. It looks nice because it loops nicely (the animation resetting to a certain point then repeating.) Due to processing power you can now have much more sprites on screen without affecting the frame rate, making it look nicer. Sonic Mania also runs at 60fps.

Also because I forgot to mention this: Yes, the game is using Unity.
archive.fo/6tcTo

Running things at a framerate above what they were animated at will always make the end result look unusually smooth.

What about Sonic Mania and a lot of older sprite games from the 32-bit generation? I expected Sonic Mania to be running smoothly, yet it doesn't look too smooth like it's made in Flash.

Fucking codemonkeys, I meant just the Street fighter one and also these.

The sprite rotation of the minions in the third gif makes it look off-putting.

I don't know what scares me more about Makoto: her attitude or the man-hands.

This. The rotation is so badly done it makes going up ramps and through loops look worse than it did in the Genesis games.

The first one in your second post doesn't look smooth to me (and neither do gifs one through three in your first post), user. That said, the reason they look smooth (or for the ones I claim don't look smooth - not too choppy) is..
Alright I'mma pause here and show you some shit.
You see my first image? There are 24 frames in that metal slug animation going at 10fps, and the whole animation goes through a one second deal. Each frame has 30ms delay between it and the next, so you're seeing each frame for 30ms. That's a 720ms (or 750ms, depending) long film before it repeats (I think).
The reason it looks so smooth is due to the high number of frames in such a short amount of time, combined with the high detail and number of pixels used. Of course, using a large number of pixels doesn't always make for better viewing, but w/e.
For chuckles, I'm going to remove every second frame and increase the delay to 60ms (should be a 780ms loop). It should look noticeably crappier than the original. But ideally you'll be able to see kind of what I mean, provided I didn't fuck up.
To add, I included a random sonic mania sprite sheet I found. The blue blur has a fuckton of sprites for his run cycle. Compare it to one of the earlier mario games, where our favorite plumber has a 2-frame walk cycle.

tl;dr: the faster it goes and the more frames, the smoother it'll look, provided the spriter didn't shit their pants.

And like a true idiot, he blames everything but his own failure.

Game journos are going to make their review about racism during when originally cartoons like this came out. I bet you, everything is Cultural Marxism now.

Someone's way ahead of you.
archive.fo/Ph7Cf

I BLAME IT ON LAG!

I feel sorry for fuckwits like these. They lock themselves out of some excellent games.

Where do you people live that has HR this shitty?
California?

See? I can pull this bullshit, too.

exhentai.org/s/a904fd9dc8/1106481-1

Only thing; you forgot to put a mention of the LA riots, you know, to really drive home your race baiting opinion piece.

Don't forget that the Genesis is named after the Bible or something and that's badong.

Wonder if he'll write his own 2.0 version of this shit down the line when he gets enough games he's failed to review properly.

I want the nightmare to stop.

Its only going to get worse.

Thanks for that. That made me slightly less miserable.

Only thing more retarded than critics and casuals whose only experience with a good game was Dark Souls, is casual idiots who thought it was a Skyrim ripoff.

It reminds me of something I read once from the devs of Dishonored when they were talking about either some play tester or someone at a convention trying to play the masquerade level of of the game. You have to go upstairs to find your target, but a guard at the base of the stairs tells you, naturally, that you aren't allowed to go up there. The player then spent half an hour or more wandering around the first floor because the game didn't outright tell him to ignore the guard and go upstairs, anyways.

SOME ONE SLAP THAT PERSON ON THE FACE
this fake right? one of you fuckers edit this right?

Unfortunately it's real.

It's been real for quite a while. Also note that to the author SMTIV is "The Dark Souls of Persona Games", as if to say that not only is Persona its own fucking genre, but that SMT spawned from Persona.

I had to bring out the big guns for this one

Betty Boop a hot

Betty Boop a loli.

Nah
Betty Boop a shortstack

Betty Boop a naughty flapper, Bimbo cocktease

I stand corrected.

Fuck, I watched 30 seconds of this, he can't figure out to jump and then dash. Fuck.

Can't we agree that Dragon's Dogma is the dark souls of the Souls genre?

I love the shit out of this cartoon but I can honestly admit I have never understood it.

Is it a reference to something?

It's a take on the first talkie "The Jazz Singer", hence the pun "Owl Jolsen".

Modern journalism, ladys and gentlemen!

This has always been the case. I remember when Sonic Riders came out and was panned because journalists were too retarded to go round a fucking corner