Vidya Friends

Let me ask you a question: When was the last time you actually made a friend through playing vidya? I dont mean like from joining dedicated Holla Forums servers or playtimes, I mean casually playing a game and you meet someone? I remember doing that all the time but now I dont think it ever happens anymore and I cant tell if its just me getting older and less social or the death of community servers in general making every encounter the same bland thing.

Never

I regularly go to tabletop game nights and have a group of vidya friends that organises fighting tournaments, hangouts etc so I met a lot of people in the past year. One of them is a delicious cuteboy jailbait and I think he wants to hold hands.

8 years ago. I still have the same couple. friends I made back then.

I once played a shmup on my laptop in college inbetween breaks and some other guy happened to notice it, after that we chatted about shmups a bit and became friends over time

At least 6-10 years ago I think. I actually used to be fairly social in videogames and easily gravitated into groups or just met individuals who I would spend most of my time playing the game with and having a great time.

Nowadays I'm completely socially cutoff. Not a single friend or even an attempt to communicate on a basic level with strangers for any reason in any game. I don't know what happened or why I really behave this way now in the first place. The closest I ever came to rekindling what I had in the past was playing Planetside 2 with Wwew, but I was never actually involved on a social level, just quietly playing the game and gaining vicarious enjoyment out of the group interactions taking place for me to see and hear.

The quality of people who play multiplayer games took a serious nosedive when they started getting really popular around 2007, even on PC. I mostly stick to single player games now.

I guess about 5 or 6 years ago. After that group drifted apart I pretty much stopped playing online games as there weren't many active games I was interested in, and on the rare occasion when I would play something online I mostly just kept to myself. Haven't made anymore since. Sadly you niggers are actually probably the closest thing I've ever had to a "real" friend

You pretty much described my situation perfectly. Seeing as how we're so alike, we should continue as we have been and not become friends.

Hey i'm the same

Exact same thing happened to me. I just stopped giving a fuck.

Never actually, I've met all my friends in School.

diz

i always joined some guilds when i played MMOs but thats about it, I only ever spoke to them in same game

Offline friends???

A Hind D??

Super Baby Method?

First floor elevator?

Online ones? Long time ago through competitive pokemon. Offline? Never.

You're not alone, slightly less than 10 years ago I used to scale up the social ladder of any server I joined. Today I am like you, except for some reason I am also a complete social retard, the opposite of what it used to be.

Did video games burn our souls?

How do you make video game friends? Even in games when you group I never talk and disband after I'm done.

Never, I only play single player

Possible, or perhaps spending a lot of time on halfchan and then fullchan did. Remember, here, you're getting concentrated everything due to there being no filters. People are mostly pretty raw, since they have minimal fear of castigation or embarrassment. This eliminates the real need to get to know someone, because they're basically baring their soul in their posts. You've bypassed that self-reservation bullshit at the start of any personal relationship.
I'm about the same way. My RL friends, I met partially through video games, but mainly through real-life adversity. I don't communicate much with any of them anymore, so it doesn't matter. Mostly, I'm everyone's problem solver, and I don't enjoy anything anymore. Spent all of yesterday sleeping, only being awake for a couple hours between.

That might actually be the key to it. Anonymous posting for so many years has completely fucked up my ability to comprehend anything where I have some sort of persistent identity attached, even if the content of my posts would be totally innocuous. It's like an irrational fear of having a history somewhere online.

I looked up one of my old usernames, finding my posts on vidya and tech forums from almost twenty years ago. I was apparently extremely irritable, but thankfully, being raised by the Internet didn't make me spray spaghetti everywhere back then. Christ, I really would have to kill myself if that was the case.

i think people are simply an unreliable source of happiness that often bring more risk than reward especially when for the purposes of something like vidya, matchmaking largely solves the function of finding humans to do a thing with. i think imageboards can be the same in some regards, they provide low-effort socialization & quick access to the topics you actually care about with virtually none of the risk that is present in actually getting to know someone.

play games with smaller/semi dead games where you actively have to seek out people to play with. hopefully you'll end up with some regular rival/sparring partners with whom you can develop a report based on your shared interest. this mostly applies to fightan, but it would probably work with other stuff too.

I don't play online games because they are for niggers, children and casuals. I used to play them but when i became an adult i became disinerested and focus now on playing multiplayer locally. Twinkle star sprites, street fighter zero 3 and virtua cop 2 on the same tv is far more fun than pubstomps in csgo or tf2.

every time
name one person who doesn't have 5000 hours in shit game such as TF2 or Dota 2 or overwatch
you can't
i bet even you reading this has 5000 hours in shit game

it's really weird how there's so few puritans. like you meet someone who plays shin megami tensei and you're like "wow good game" but then they reveal they also play pokemon and final fantasy. like it's impossible for people to only like good games, they always enjoy shit as well.

Are you me?

I have maybe an hour in TF2, from when it was new, but then, in my mind, almost everything is shit.

There is a reason why games with online features are garbage. The modern gamur have ruined online communities.

A couple of years ago. Haven't talked to them in a while either. I can't be bothered to make any new gaming friends anyway.
It seems there's two communities left; the one where there's dominant personalities and local celebrity bullshit, or the other where you have to buy whatever fotm is out or force yourself to play competitive league games just to keep in contact with them.

I have never made a "real" friend by gaming. I consider friends only those people who I regularly see face-to-face. And I only play couch co-op games with people that are already friends. So nope, never.

Internet/MMO friends are kind of semi-imaginary friends: One day they might just disappear forever.

I was and still am too awkward to use my mic ever, so no not really. I'm also pretty socially inept in general.

You can't play multiplayer if you pirate the game user.

never

well I didn't exactly make a friend but, I was playing the Arkham Origins Multiplayer so I could get all the achievements because i'm the kind of fag that does that shit. Anyway The game actually had a dedicated enough player base and group so that it was easier to get the ridiculous achievements, pretty much everyone friended who ever was actually playing the dead game just to stick together.

Most of them were cool enough, but one of these guys who I only friended for the achievement decided I was actually his friend or some shit, and I was too nice of a person to be rude to him and tell him to fuck off after everything was done.

He consistently sent me Jim sterling videos whenever there was a new one and it got really fucking annoying, I finally got rid of him after I purged all the steam friends I had who didn't know in real life.

I used to make new friends all the time, now nobody talks to anyone & if people are playing together they use discord so nobody else can join in on the conversation. Quite frankly I find online games insufferable these days, most communities are pure cancer,