Are there any actual good realistic survival games?

Yes, I know survival games are mostly shit, they're all piss easy once you learn how to self-sustain. All I want is a comfy survival game where I can try and get by with my wits. Something like pic-related.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/WbK5LLpC
strandedonline.de/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No need to play any of these current fad games when UrW has existed for decades already.

UnReal World.

Actual game mechanics, not "sleeping in this cave gives you a 5% chance of waking up with AIDS". Perhaps by eating something that you don't know is poisonous, or getting food poisoning from eating something that was raw or rotting because you were hungry. Or getting the flu or hypothermia from sleeping outside constantly with no heat source or shelter.

"Actual risk" can come from other things, like falling off a ledge while exploring a damp cliff-side or dark cave with a poor or no light source, or being attacked by an animal you aggro'd while hunting it or bitten by a snek that you didn't see. It's possible to have risk without every dangerous thing constantly seeking you out and trying to kill you.

By "no fast-draining bars" I mean that humans can go for a couple days without water, longer without food or sleep. I shouldn't have to eat and drink my body weight 5 times a day just because I went for a hike.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Minecraft

I believe the Canadian Government backed a game which is essentially a survival sim in the Canadian bush. Wolves will fuck your shit up, and bears will kill you dead.

wurm?

pastebin.com/WbK5LLpC This is my Steam review of UnReal World.
The tl;dr version of it is the game seems hard because the amount of features are overwhelming, but once you learn the controls and general mechanics then it's such a cakewalk that dying is literally impossible until you get so bored that you start doing dumb stuff that'll get you killed on purpose. And I mean really, really dumb stuff, because as I said in my review, genociding villages of 15 residents can be accomplished even if you have nothing but starter equipment on a new character you just spawned.

It's still the best survival game there is but that's only because it has no competent competition. A piece of shit is still a piece of shit, regardless of if there's worse smelling shit surrounding it. It's a superior shit but a piece of shit nonetheless.

Robinson's Requiem and its sequel DeUs. Controls are utter rubbish because they are DOS-games that have an idea 20 years ahead of its time.

Not exactly "open-world" as in large scale map, have a main objective attached to it. The premise is spooky though. You are an expert survivalist an on exploration corp payroll in space age. You are to ascertain if the planet is suitable for colonisation or not by risking your life down there Robinson Crusoe style to see if there are harmful microorganism or germs that infect and kill or not, see if flora and fauna are not too spooky to contend with etc. Survivors gets shitload of dosh to retire 20 times over and the prestige that comes with being the pioneer. The survival rates of the Robinsons are abysmally low, so have fun.

only with TFC

great fucking premise
someone should make a new game with this premise that doesn't suck

Dwarf fortress. Except you don't have much freedom in where you go but in every survival game you eventually confine yourself to the area near your shitshack anyway.

/thread

Echoing these

Don't Starve is pretty comfy. I try to avoid early access open world survival shitfests though. There's a lot of them out there.

The Long Dark is comfy as FUCK, but the ✡story mode✡ is also pozzed. Just play free roam (but then there’s no goal or purpose…).

Neo Scavenger

But it's free.

The Forest, there are also cannibalistic albino mutants you can scare away

isn't that basically rust?

The Long Dark. It has a meh story but otherwise its great.

Fuck it was satisfying. Not enough cold survival games fuck islands and jungles.

I will never stop shilling this.

The Sims island or whatever it's called

That one is underrated as fuck. Very good game, definitely worth playing.

It's called outside world

I can't really think of many games if at all that fill this criteria. How about Wayward?
it's turn based, and you're stranded on an island. You DO have to be very aware while foraging, you're not constantly hunted but things can end pretty fast if you're seen by a bear or wolf. And you do have to work with your daylight the best you can. While the bars don't drain fast, they drain fast enough to give you some sense of urgency. Most deaths won't be because you drained your bars but because you didn't prepare or be cautious.
You'll be forced to walk somewhere else if you drain every single supply in your area. But that's the nature of the beast. And there are little paranormals, but they're rare.

My main beef with this game is the lack of ingame tips for crafting, but I also haven't played it in years so i'm unaware of any improvements so far.

I have seen no less than three identical open world early access survival games with the same mapping and triangulation gimmick. It's like they're all being made with the same fucking base toolkit and that was something that came with it out of the box.

isnt that misamata? i thought it was the same autistic dev remaking his shit from scratch constantly.

Am I just retarted because I can seem to successfully hunt anything in this game. I can fish fine, build a log cabin, grow a farm, slaughter an entire village and steal their shit, pretty much anything but for some reason when ever I try to hunt something it either never shows up or disappears in one round or I keep missing it completely even with almost maxed out bow kill.

No one of them was set in the Pacific ocean and used the map+triangulation to try to locate new islands.

gonna probably get shit for this but i put like 20 hours into long dark, its suprisingly enjoyable and it can be tense, wandering around lost in a snowstorm with hypothermia or evading a bear. Wish the quests hadnt bugged out near the end of chapter 2 but i had fun with the sandbox mode random spawn as well, it can be very atmospheric, usually im too ADD to enjoy such a thing but in this case i did

I kind of didn't hate it. Almost died like three times getting this sweater. Rope climbing is sweaty as fuck. I even anticipated it being a huge stamina drain. Also entirely missed this village in a late night blizzard, huddled up against an embankment trying to not freeze to death. It was just across the damn road no less.

Also excuse the shitty resolution, I thought that 4K screenshot feature actually up-resed properly and not just swear a shitty windowed resolution fuckyuge.

smear
A thing I did find annoying is how absolutely worthless you are with a rifle by default. The weight of the damn thing is about penalty enough but at least they kept weight realistic I guess. I would usually just lay it down somewhere if I knew shit wasn't going to go down and didn't need meat.

I think that's is pretty much the point of the game, those hardships and tense moments keep it fun
and that's a key aspect of survival, sometimes everything really goes to shit, and you're struggling to not give up, only to find that you're really for to getting a relief

yeah smart inventory management is key too, you really don't need the rifle all the time
you should only take it with you when needed, when going hunting or somewhere dangerous
and still, other methods of catching food are way better

is this early access shit, or something closer to being fully playable?

Odd thing is I don't think I ran across snares until I tried one of the challenge modes.

I don't think it was ever in early access, may have just been greenlit, it's been a complete game for long as I recall, don't think they did much with it once it was released is all.

There was one about some girl on Mysterious Island.

Does anyone remember Lost in Blue for the DS?
I meant to buy it once but forgot its name and ended up buying Chronicles of Naria by accident.

I was just looking to see if someone else had posted it too. Thank you user for showing that someone else had played it other than me.

the snare was added some time ago, but now trapping is rather hard i think, may need to bait them
but also, now you can just after the rabbits and try to rock them, but there is also ice fishing, and of course, bow and arrow
it looks good, I'll try to pirate later

As a survival game, Don't Starve is actual shit. It's more like Minecraft of all things.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Don't Starve is the opposite of minecraft. Don't Starve has your shit random combust just to drive home the point that it isn't minecraft.

The Forest looks pretty good and it's got most of it's content now, I think. Has anybody checked it out lately? Worth playing?

Nobody's mentioned Cataclysm DDA. Zombies are optional. I don't think you ever get rescued, but there are NPCs at some point.

Are there any survival games with a waifu companion?

memecraft with mods

TerraFirmaCraft.

Mob talker mod.

Lost in Blue, like this user mentioned

So what, you want a geme where you need to eat once every 8 hours in real time? Or sleep once every 16 hours? How would that be fun?

You realize that the human body can't do shit if it doesn't sustain itself?
If you go for a hike and you don't drink or eat while doing it or afterwards your magic 3 days without water and 7 without food and 12 without sleep goes to the shitter faster than an Indian guy :^}

There's a bargain bin one I liked back in the day
Survival: the ultimate challenge. Pretty old now though.

Metal Gear Survive, literally the title says it all :^)

No shit, nigger. I didn't say there shouldn't be penalties for going that long without tending to your basic needs, I just mean that I shouldn't have to fill half my inventory with supplies and stop to stuff my face every five minutes just to make it through a single day. Plus, in most of these games, the needs drain so fast that sleeping often means that you wake up starving and dying of thirst and have to eat an average progressive's weight in food to start the next day. For example, a couple eggs and some bacon are a satisfactory breakfast for most people, not five steaks, a jar of honey, fourteen berries and four gallons of water the moment you get out of bed like in a lot of these games.

I remember trying this a few years ago. There wasn't much to do when I played it other than roam around and try not freeze to death. Sounds like its improved a lot since then. Might have to give this one another go. Is it still EA or is it pretty much complete?

Sounds interesting, thanks.

Also looks interesting.

Terrafirma with custom npcs or MCA.

Haven and Hearth was literally perfect until the devs ruined it.

There's a pretty old first person survival game where you build huts, farm things and get killed by gorillas a lot but I can't for the life of me remember much else about it

Nevermind, it's this. strandedonline.de/

Forgotten about it for a long time. Kind of funny how much it predates the kikestarter/early access survivalshit meme

Its not in early access its been finished since release