Kingdoms and Castles

What would Holla Forums recommend for games similar to this i.e., fantasy or medieval themed city builders. Despite the serious lack of content and needing many improvements, it's given me an urge to play city builders but the only ones I know of are all modern themed.

This is what "The Settlers" series was, though now it's old as fuck without anything recent heard out of it.

If you can stomach DOS era stuff though, very cozy games. I and II are generally awesome, with the rest generally decent but flawed.. I haven't played any after IV though.

tell me about medieval life

Oh, now I want a medieval SimCity, damn it!

The only flaw with the Settlers series was the combat.
Widelands continues the trend with an open source game that is basically Settlers.

Once upon a time, there was a magical land where everyone drank mostly beer instead of water for hydration, because the water was cursed and if you drank it without boiling it first, there was a chance that'd you shit your own blood and intestines into your pants then keel over and die.
The End.

Settlers 2 is great, I got it from GOG recently and had a lot of fun with it, before that I'd only played 7, that one was pretty bad.

This is just a myth, though. Medieval people weren't stupid, knew to pick water from clean sources, and provided for it in the form of aquifers and lead pipes to transport it from the source to inhabited centers. Water was drunk just as much as beer, it just wasn't bragged about in stories or written text for the same reason we in modern times wouldn't brag about drinking water or giving it to our guests.

Well… They were a little stupid

And given how heavy metals work, they got dumber over time. Also I'm pretty sure the lead pipes thing was more ancient Rome, not feudal Europe.

Thanks. Personally I've generally found it difficult to play really old games unless I played them as a kid and there's a nostalgia factor. Though, every now and then some of them are just genuinely great.

The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary seems like it might be a good fit for what I'm looking for. Has anyone tried it?

To be fair, lead having a negative effect on the brain wasn't really understood at that point, and lead pipes didn't rust like iron would.

Medieval Europe had pipes. Feudal Europe, not so much, but many people conflate the two.

There's always Banished and Anno 1404

Those look interesting as well, thanks!

Be sure to get the colonial mod for Banished, improves the game by 10 times.

Life is Fedual: Forest Village.
You can even control a villager and fuck around your town.

Not specifically a city builder, but I enjoyed. Battle for the Middle Earth 2.
>Meanwhile, go full autism and build a city with districts, two main rings and an inner ring with a fortress that works as a royal castle and even a hero I leave in the middle of the castle as the King
The game itself is not that great, but great, nonetheless.

just play zeus and poseidon

Don't know much about city builders, but I remember base building entire cities and castles in the AoE games, mainly the second one.

Also this.

tell me more

Beer has the gift of health.
small beer also works as a small snack to give you a boost when working the fields.
I saved entire villages with the gift of beer.
instead of getting cholera from drinking filthy water, you get good old beer to keep you hydrated and free of cholera