Has anyone played Aztez yet?

Has anyone played Aztez yet?

I know there's a bunch of Cuhrayzee games refugees here and Aztez is the first game in quite a while that fits the bill. It's fucking dope. Kill people, collect their blood, use it to summon gods to do super attacks. Lots of cancellable animations to smooth out whatever combos you want. Campaign is fun and gives a variety of enemies. Spaniards are cunts.

So, Aztez/general cuhrayzee thread.

I've put a little time into it but not too much, mostly in the arena instead of in the strategy campaign. I love all of the weapon movesets and combos, and the introduction of consquistadors was a welcome difficulty spike. As far as I can tell the game has a relatively high skill ceiling and combo potential out the ass, but I wouldn't say I've played far enough to say whether or not the enemy variety really tests that skill or not.

I still would personally prefer a more Viewtiful Joe-style version of the game with a defined campaign instead of the strategy take on it. I guess it's nice for the game to have a unique appeal, but it would also be nice to just walk from left to right through predetermined stages and beat the shit out of people without having to participate in a card game.

Even the weapon switch-cancelling can be cancelled, it's crazy.

I was really iffy on the campaign's style but having played it it really keeps the pace up and means that every encounter is slightly different which is sort of nice. It might get samey eventually but for now, no.

I've only scratched the surface of combo options. I'm not really weapon switching well yet because frankly I've not really gotten used to what the weapons do. I'm fuckin' garbage with the knife though.

I smell shills.

I've yet to play it myself but I'll say while the strategy map thing feels like something out of my dreams, and was also in a game I really liked(Infested Planet), much like procedural generation I'd very much like to see it as an alternate game mode rather than the gamemode.

Not really. I'm not the dev. I've spoken to one of them once or twice about combat games in general (I'm involved in an indie brawler and wanted his thoughts on our combat system, as I really like his combat system blog) but didn't bug him about Aztez because he gets enough of it.

So I like the guy but I'm in no way affiliated with him beyond a vague like of his blog and enjoyment of his game.

If "being a big fan of a genre and liking a game from someone who's known in that genre" makes me a shill then I guess?

The knife is off the fucking wall, man. It's your best friend for aerial combos. If you slam an enemy to the ground with a downward attack mid-combo, the knife's downward attack will bounce the enemy back up to a juggling height so you can keep the combo going. Same thing applies to its aerial dash attack, it'll throw the knife down at a 45 degree angle so you can launch an enemy from a slight distance. Those teleports are great for maneuvering too.

Really? I guess it's just up to taste then, I play action games way more often than strategy games.

Like I said I was iffy on it but actually playing it is pretty fun. Also each mission has a secondary goal which helps keeps you on task. "Victory in 60 seconds or less" "Sacrifice 2 enemies" or whatever. Which sounds simple but sometimes enemies are slippery or aggressive or whatever so it can be quite hard to do what you wanna do.

I suspect the knife shines when used in weapon switch combos that I haven't gotten good enough for yet.

I beta tested it since I am a shamless mesoamerieaboo and had been eyeing it for a while and asked the devs if I could.

I like it a lot but I really wish the strategy elements had more meat to it and it had a proper sort of long campaign mode. The setting also really had potential for lots of colorful, beautiful environments, but obviously both the strategy/campaign and color thing just wasn't the direction they wanted to go with it.

I really hope it gets more buzz when they do a console release and they do a sequel eventually, doesn't seem to be selling much on PC

I'd be much more interested in this if it were 3D and full colour.

I've read all the combat blog stuff from Ruiz and I'm pretty sure the black and white is for pure gameplay clarity. It's really easy to tell what's happening (until the spaniards show up they telegraph their shots, then a pause, and that's been ripping me a new asshole).

I'm here for pure combat gameplay so I'll admit the lacking strategy game actually suits me perfectly. It's just enough that I make a few decisions and can vary things up a bit with my empire but really it's not enough to waste any of my time that I could be punching stuff with.

I don't think it's getting a sequel though bruh. Ruiz tweeted a few times a couple days back about "hire me to make your anime girl combat game. it'll have great combat AND will sell loads I rpomise" then deleted the tweets so I get the feeling it's not going great. The black and white art direction honestly might make it come off a bit generic.

That second one might be up to taste but the first one seems like a very strange complaint. Good sidescrolling action games are pretty hard to come by these days and a full 3D environment would arguably be a detriment to what they're going for here.

Are either of those actually going to happen? That would be pretty cool, the second one anyway.

There is meant to be a console release which hopefully there will be.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression here but isn't this pretty much 2D Devil May Cry with Aztecs?

The former, yes; the latter is just me wishing

More or less, but if I want to play Devil May Cry I'll just play Devil May Cry again. Aztez being limited to a 2D plane isn't intrinsically a bad thing.

Neat. It's a shame the game is underperforming financially, they definitely deserve to earn more money from it considering its quality.

I hate the darkies as much as the next guy, probably way more, but I've been following Ben Ruiz for quite a while on his blog and on twitter and I actually have no idea what his political views are at all, if any. Unless "smashing stuff is fun" is a political view. So whatever they are I don't hold them against him. I think I saw him brush off some cultural appropriation bullshit with "the aztecs were fucking cool" basically.

t. fag that got his heart ripped out

Well but if it's pretty much Devil May Cry with Aztecs then it being 3D wouldn't be a problem.

yo dude that edge is fucking trendy cool
nice

True fact, DMC4 SE doesn't work on lots of PCs now. Including mine. That shit's a fucking travesty.

Shit man, is that a recent development? I think the last time I played any DMC4SE was at least six months ago.

Of course it would be a problem. I don't want to sperg out about this too hard but it is way, way more involved than you would think. For one thing, just by virtue of having a fixed camera Aztez sidesteps a lot of the problems faced by the cameras in other 3D action games, and I wouldn't just want to throw that benefit out the window. For another, guard-breaking is a huge part of the combat in this game and it wouldn't be nearly as much of a challenge if you could circle around enemies in 3D space. Basically they'd have to rebuild the combat system from the ground up and they would lose a lot of the unique benefits of the sidescrolling setup.

Why is Holla Forums so full of sad people? Videogames should be fun my friends

t. Snownigger

It was some change to DX10 that bollocksd up a bunch of capcom games and those chinese niggers can't be fucked to fix it. Also my main guard break is grabbing. It's great. But I think the sweep is probably good I just need to explore the options more.

But hating everything without any proof just because it's even a tiny bit similar to the things you dislike just doesn't make one happy.

Sweeps are viable but they definitely become more difficult when you run into the enemies that constantly back away from you. You can dash to close the gap, but then the dash has to be guard-canceled so the sweep doesn't come out as a dash attack instead; it's stylish, but it requires some pretty swift inputs. The grab's a much better and safer option in that scenario, a grab is a grab whether you're dashing or standing.

Nigger can we please just have a thread about a video game and not about the death of white western culture.

Stop being so hateful my friend

He's right though! Intel is owned by kikes so you should stop using electronics right now! In fact, the feet under your land is owned by jews, better fix that! Also, everything that you own is jewish owned, better kill yourself! :^)

Have you tried removing that stick up your ass?
It's an aztec-themed cuhrayzee game, not a poorly-programmed screed about how aztecs were good boys who got oppressed by the evil Spaniards.

Says the person that did nothing but talk about how they hate everything in this Thread.

It's just Holla Forums trying to derail yet another thread. Their favorite meme is trying to create a right winged strawman to jerk off on.

We are long past the point where this is possible.

Yeah but I suspect that over time guard cancelling the dash into a sweep into say a pop up combo will yield more damage and fluidity. Will have to experiment.

I think it's more that you are long past the point where you are able to enjoy video games.

Dude mummies are racist!

Basically what I had in mind is that the game is on one giant warmap. Every sector of the warmap is a handcrafted level with some permutations. My idea is that you're up against one big army, with a base tree of enemies that gradually gets more and more powerful. With it you'd have special enemies that belong to a specific boss or minboss. The enemy army would be filled with bosses, with their underling mini bosses each excelling in a specific type of combat, so basically the big guy bots will have hammers and heavy armor and the maps will have barricades and weapons desgined around reducing mobility and such. Minibosses would have their own special traits and abilities, and their respective bosses would combine all of those abilities into one.
One day I'll make it with the melee combat system I've always had in mind.

Fluidity I'll agree with because it's way more satisfying that way, but I don't know about damage, at least as far as I understand the way enemy states work. I don't know if there's actually a difference between breaking the guard one way or another, I guess I'll have to reread the part in the manual about crippling enemies.

See, that sounds cool. It's not quite as fleshed out as what you're suggesting but I'm guessing you'll gel with that part of this game.

Along with the Mesopotamians (Babylon, Sumer, Ur, tec), The early Chinese, Egyptians, the indus river valley culture, and Andeans, they were one of the groups that independently invented agriculture and civilization.

The Aztecs in particular were about roman empire tie in most regards (though behind in metalworking, but even ahead of europe at the time in terms of waterworks technology and hygenics. Teotihaucan and Tenochtitlan were both in the top 5 largest cities in the world at their heights, with the later being tied with Constantinople and Paris in 1520, and was built on a series of islands that were expanded with artificial ones with canals and stone roadways between them, essentially being venice but twice as big. The single largest monument built by humans is a pyramid in Mexico.

We aren't talking about Abbos, Subsahrans, or north native americans here, and even the north native americans got their shit together once (the Mississippians) even if they all died and fell apart again. If the Mesoamericans are shitskins, so are the people who invented civilization in the fertile crescent that gave rise to western culture.

That image is bait anyways but jesus whoever made it used shit examples for the americas. Use some part of Teotihaucan, El Castillo at Chichen Itza, and a recreation of tenochtitlan instead.

I'll probably go for it soon enough.

Well sweep, popup, combo combo combo launcher jump combo combo combo knock away dash stun combo combo combo

You could get mostly the sme with grab combo launch combo knock stun combo

But I think a bit more with the sweep.

Sounds cool but not sure whether this game would really suit bosses or not.

I appreciate you, Aztec user. Nice to see someone rush to the defense of the early Mesoamericans. Such a shame we don't live in the timeline where they grew to become one of the great modern nations in our world.

I am sorry that I contributed to derailing this thread, have some cool Aztec pictures as apology.

You didn't mean any harm

Just took a short break from playing mid-game to watch something with the girlfriend came back and am now getting fucking shredded. The rhythm is strong fuck.

Start talking about the video game at hand or you're getting a ban too.

Seems like sweeping versus grabbing doesn't matter much when it comes to breaking enemies. Should be that both of those don't actually affect the enemy healthbar and the breaking only occurs during the juggle no matter how it begins. I'd be more interested to see how far this "broken" dichotomy actually goes, it sounds like you can rack up 100+ hit combos and not kill an enemy as long as you're never interrupted.

Wasn't really planning on playing today but the thread did make me return. I feel like I should get used to playing on keyboard since movement is all digital anyway, I don't really like using the analog stick here.

I think he might be a real volunteer, Zach

I don't think that the game is fast enough to require the keyboard though. Like it's well tuned to be playable on a controller and I'm more used to that for action games.

Would be perfectly playable on a keyboard though. I still only have 3 weapons unlocked though. Fuck.

Threaten harder, you filthy fucking faggot. Who the fuck do you think you are?

Sometimes you just get straight RNG fucked on the campaign though.

Do you guys feel like there should be more turns in the campaign before cortes shows up? I feel like 10 is a bit too short. Do you think an actual setting to adjuist that in game would work well?

Here, I improved your bait image to have actually decent examples of precolumbian american architecture, or at least as decent as I can get with the space provided and using photos instead of reconstructions

this'll sound stupid, but check out the recommended reading/FAQ on /r/askhistorians. It's the one decent thing to come out of plebbit, as all of the users there who are actually answer questions are actual experts or extreme hobbiysts in their fields.

I have some specific recommendations i've gotten from there and from specific users there who i've talked about stuff on particular subtopics (say, art motifs for specific cultures or aztec philosphy/poetry) but I don't have those organized right now and since those are specific rather then generalist books, i'm not sure if it'd be worth it for me to go through all of them to find and post here unless somebody wants it.

There's also a mega for mesoamerica that somebody from halfchan's /his/ board made who I've talked to a few times about some stuff, since we are trying to get in contact with the family of two dead artists who make fantastic reconstructions/recreations of aztec sites to see if they'd be willing to upload some of their stuff online, but I don't know how accurate the stuff in said mega is.

if you want that mega or any of the other stuff let me know, but in the meantime check /r/askhistorians as I said.

Wonder how many people are actually playing, I just ended what I thought was a pretty miserable campaign and still landed around #250 on the leaderboard.

Maybe, 10 turns is usually enough to build up decent population and claim a good number of cities so that you're not starved for resources. I suppose it depends a little on RNG, the attempts where it takes several turns to earn a bonus Aztez are definitely way too slow of a start to pull back from.

As a difficulty mode? If they let you jump straight into the difficult part of the campaign there's no reason they shouldn't let you make things easier on yourself as well, as long as the boards are kept separate.

Yeah, it is definitely annoying to start the campaign out with only one weapon, totally kills my combo rhythm.

I don't really even mean from a difficulty perspective, I just think that it's a bit unsatisfying to have the campaigns be as short as they are.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:95FF8E6FF43491E9D9B2C35F44D4FAE8087B41BF&dn=Aztez.v1.02.rar&tr=udp%3a%2f Magnet link, only 130 MB so its fast

I'd like a bit more variety in the campaign, yeah. That said the campaign is 90% a vessel for fights and for that it does a good job.

Also, possibly jump cancelling off enemies, DMC3/4 style.

A chain weapon that lets you pull enemies around and stuff would be slick.

There's a small list of wants I'd have: Arena playlist so you can set up consecutive fights in whatever order you want.
A "dash to" after knockaway mechanic. It's gonna sound weird that I'm asking for a Senran Kagura mechanic but if you do a knockaway attack and then could dash TO the target you knocked away…. there's some attacks that knock the target in a parabolic trajectory which you can do some stuff like intercept them on the way down but it'd be nice to be able to just straight up follow them.
There's a few cancel windows I'd like to be a bit earlier. I occasionally try to dash out of stuff and get smacked just because I'd made slightly too long a commitment and couldn't dash out.

Sure, but I think they'd have to throw away the leaderboards if they allowed you to choose how many turns passed before the spaniards invaded. Even within reasonable limits, somebody who chooses 15 turns is going to have a huge advantage over somebody who chooses the standard 10, so the leaderboards would be really imbalanced.

It's probably the way the spaniards work that shortens the campaigns anyway, shit can go wrong very quickly when the invasion starts. It's not really a complaint though, I'd much prefer this level of challenge to something more casual.

Practice with the knife, bro, it lets you dash-jump in midair so you can follow an enemy that's knocked away. It's not a perfect "dash to" but it's at least more flexible than horizontally dashing and catching an enemy on their descent. I think every weapon has something unique like that, the spear has double air dashes.

Yeah been doing knife start runs to try to get better with it. I find it really awkward to use. Best to grab and shiv them then go aerial rather than try to combo on the ground mostly.

Finally unlocked the god damned spear. Woop

Teebs recommends it.

Only had to watch a few seconds to remind myself how trash John is at action games, but at least someone with that size of an audience is trying to promote the game.

Haven't found a better weapon to deal with the conquistadors, personally, the spear fucks them up.

He admits it himself so it's ok.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO UNLOCK THE FISTS!

I've finished it, killed the emperor, butchered the underworld chieftain, torn apart everyone in the festival of carnage, gave Cortez the business end of my rifle… yet I don't fucking know how to unlock the damn fists.
It must be you failing a mission or something of the like because I just can't figure out what the fuck I have to do.

beat the chichimecs

And into the trash it goes. NO I AM NOT GOING TO BUY A GODDAMN XBOX 360 CONTROLLER.

wha gamepad?

PlayStation 2 controller + USB adapter.

You're playing on pc so stop complaining about it now working.
Make it work

At what?
I costantly beat the chichimecs as they try to steal shit from me.
What else do I need to do?

You need to defeat the king

These pictures make me realize how much you can achieve with slave labour.

I actually don't think slaves built any of those, but I am not certain.

Teotihaucan and Tenochtitlan (second and third images respectively) were in the top 5 largest cities in the world during their heyday, so they had the population to sustain massive construction efforts, and I know that The Aztecs (tenochtitlan being their captial) had a very complex adminstrative system with civic servents who were employed to keep streets clean and move garbage/waste around, so a full construction force wouldn't be out of the question.

In particular, there's a part in Corte's letters to Charles V where he mentions the Aztecs from Tenochtitlan building a bridge for him:

I got the emperor's mission and the boss slapped me. Fuck's sake.

How come they couldn't make things out of metal?

I mean, they could: They obviously worked soft metals (You've heard that Cortes wanted to take their gold right?) and while not exceptionally common, they worked copper and west mexico in particular had some bronzes.

But even when used metals were mainly used for religious and ceremonial use, not for tools or weapons. There were some metal weapons, but it wasn't the norm.

In order for metal tools/weapons to really catch on, you need an arms race to encourage it. That just never happened: one possible reason is that in Mesoamerica, there tended to be one big regional power that then declined or got overhtrown and then they became the new big regional power for a few hundered years, rather then this state of sort of constant warefare between different states in europe (not to say therre weren't many other city states, kingdoms, or other nation-states in mesoamerica that got into conflicts besdies whatever the big regional power is), so there might have been less of an incentive for constant military innovation. Also, in a lot of cases, battles and conflicts could have been formalized and ceremonial and not just outright battles to conquer terriory: The Aztecs liked to use something called flower wars which were essentially pre-arranged battles as a way to gather war prisoners for sacfirice, as well as to get training for their troops, guage a enemy/tributarties strength, and wear them down over time.

There's also the fact that there's simply less land compared to europe and asia where other regions could take hold so you got them interchanging technology and innovations via trade. There were complex trade lines that went throughout the region of course and up to the southern US and down into central america, and there's evidence that the items could get pretty far, but there was no other major, "advanced" cultural region that they had direct tradig access too (the Incans/Andeans were a bit too far), nor was the geography really conductive to trade by sea, thoguh there is some evidence that western mexico actually got it's better metalurgy and bronzeworking from south american groups or came to the region from south america via boat, but that's far from conclusive

tl;dr
- they sort of did
- there wasn't as much of a constant pressure to innovate militatry weapons technolgy due to how conflict and war tended to happen
- Unlike eursia where you had europe, the middle east, and asia all as seperate reasons interchanging technology, Mesoamerica was pretty isolated to itself outside

forgot pic

How do you reach the king?
When does that happens?

Not sure, sadly.

Do you mean the Emperor, or Cortez?

actually, they were just too dumb to develop beyond much further than the stone age, hence they were easily conquered by western europeans.

same goes for niggers btw.

user I literally posted bronze axeheads, they had metalworking.

Except the fact the Spanish got their asses handed to them by the Tlaxcallans early on and only didn't die there because the Tlaxcalla spared them to use against the Aztecs.

The Spanish only one because they were able to exploit native geopolitics to rally other native nations against them and cause Aztec city states to go into civil wars, alongside smallpox.

You don't know what you are talking about. "The ___ ages" aren't even a real thing: They are specific discriptions of specific eras of eurasian history. The americas had different geography and resources. They had no horses, oxen, or other beasts of burdern to use, and were on an isolated landmass.. How they devolped technologically will obviously be different.

There's a totally seperate chronology of development for the region: Archaic, preclassic, classic, and postclassic.

The king of the chichimec, I don't kno beyond that because I haven;'t dont it yet in game myself, i'm just going off of what i've read in the Aztez discord.

J2K?

>all of that (((diversity)))

I want all shills to drink bleach

u wot

This is the sort of shit that gives actual SJW's ammo, when people accuse normal games made by rational people of being pushing shit

Oh it's random as far as I know. It's just an event that can spawn later in the game.