What does Holla Forums know about the Wonderswan? Is there anything good on it?

What does Holla Forums know about the Wonderswan? Is there anything good on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

wwgp.qute.co.jp/
wwgp.qute.co.jp/2003/entries/entries/00029/Coven.lzh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

educate me what is this

Yokoi left nintendo after the failure that was the Virtual Boy and joined Bandai to make the Wonderswan

Yeah there was a few great games on it, go play the fantranslation of pic related.

Very well then

very nice. Impressive.

Isn't most of the stuff japanese only on it?
I remember there was a klonoa game for it.

More like he was ousted after being forced to push out the VB before RGB LEDs could be made cost effective. The VB was supposed to be basically a 3D GBA. When he helped Bandai create something better than the Game Boy, Nintendo was decidedly not pleased. Rumor has it that they had him killed. Death by "car accident" has been a common method for decades.

Yup, it only ever released in Japan and it suffered relatively poor sales compared to the GameBoy. Seems like you can pick them up fairly cheap nowadays, though.

Reminder: Gunpei left Nintendo to make this and had a (((car accident))) with a week of the first time a wonderswans weekly sales were higher than the gameboys/

Yeah I was going to add the "car accident" thing but I'm sleepy.

I remember it for the Digimon games.

I want those games so bad. You'd think since the whole damn anime revolves around them someone would do it.

Also, I really like Mega Man and Bass: Challenger from the Future. It's the final Mega Man Classic game (9 and 10 don't count). It's short, but cool.

I've read elsewhere that the shining genre on the Wonderswan is puzzle games. The game Engacho! is a pleasant puzzle game similar to those Zelda monsters; the basic idea is that you're in a puzzle where monsters move based on how the player moves and you must get to the end without touching them. There's also boss fights. All in all, it's a fun game.

I also get a lot of fun from Gunpey, which is contemporary to Tetris and Klax. I want a WonderWitch, but I can't find one yet; I'll get one to make games on it some day.

I bought Rhyme Rider Kerorikan, but it's strange and I suppose I don't have much of an opinion on it yet.

Lastly, the first Final Fantasy is also fun and it has a better battery life than the GBA.

I'm still surprised at how the Game Boy won, given all the competitors had better hardware and had some pretty great titles. The NGPC is also a fantastic handheld but because it didn't have Pokemon, essentially. 40 hours of battery life at $70 to buy the handheld, you get a lot of portable SNK goodness.

The WonderSwan claims technical superiority, but if you play it you'll not really notice the difference. The games all look like stuff you'd play on a Game Boy. The battery life might be better, but what they basically did was release another monochrome game boy with better battery life, but without the 10 years worth of games in its library that the game boy already had. And right around the time the backwards compatible Game Boy Color was released.

The Game Gear was the only thing close to real competition, with not only its color screen (which of course the Lynx had), but also its respectable library (which the Lynx didn't have). But I guess the Game Boy library won out. With its longer lifespan, it certainly ended up with the better library in the long run, but if you're only comparing games that came out during the Game Gear's lifespan, I think the two libraries are almost even, largely coming down to taste.

Pic related is pretty fun but it's one of the hardest to find games on the system since it was part of a game programming contest.

From what I heard, it only supports Windows operating systems up to XP and connects through a serial port, so you will need to find some old computer hardware. Plus, I'm pretty sure there are better options of making homebrew games on the WonderSwan now in days.

Ghosts 'n Goblins and Judgement Silversword are the top tier games.

That's like asking if there's anything good on the Nokia N-Gage.

I got a Final Fantasy I version Wonderswan for $50 or so a decade ago. There's the saying that software is always more important than hardware, but the Wonderswan did have a Tetris port. I chalk it up to Nintendo already having the massive budget to advertise and spread it everywhere, along with the ability to port easily recognizable franchises to it.

Klax and Xybots seem like two of the better Lynx games; do you have any recommendations?

Here's all of the competition material:
wwgp.qute.co.jp/

You can still download the source for these games; there were visual novels and even basic tools developed for the Wonderswan. As an example, this is Coven, the console shell for the Wonderswan:
wwgp.qute.co.jp/2003/entries/entries/00029/Coven.lzh

My computer already has a serial port. I want the WonderWitch for its cartridge and link and so I can study the development environment to help me with my own.
Do tell; none of the literature I've read so far has shown this. The CPU is an NEC V20; this is effectively an extended Intel 80186. The difficulty isn't with the processor, but the memory mapping, which I've not read good documentation for. Getting my hands on a professional development kit for it would be even better than a WonderWitch.

Japs rarely fire anyone from a business; Yokoi was given a "window seat", basically being forced to twiddle your thumbs on worthless projects while being kept out of important ones that affect a company, all in an effort so you'll quit and the company won't have to pay unemployment benefits.

Guess I'll (check) this out.

Why would someone complain about getting paid for doing nothing all day? I mean it's not like people outside of work would even know, since you're still bringing home a paycheck.

Because japs and most other asians have an insect-like work ethic.

I can see that you've never been relegated to a position far below your level of capability. It's infuriating having the sense to fix everything, and to design and engineer pretty much anything, but being hamstrung and paid in fucking peanuts while retards make an order of magnitude more than you do, and fuck EVERYTHING up with no fear of termination for their incompetence.

I found one at an import shop in LA a while ago and it's been good. Got the swan Chrystal I really liked the megaman games and pocket fighter.

this game is rare as all fuck and you will never find an original copy, nice digits though

F

was there ever a wonderswan nep? or am i thinking of sehaga?