Oblivion sucks

I recently played through Oblivion and holy shit, it has not aged well.

I liked Morrowind and Skyrim's feel more. Oblivion was lazy, generic, fantasy trash. The dungeons were copypasted, even skyjob just had copypasted rooms rather than entire dungeons. The map was technically bigger than Morrowind or Skyjob for the sake of being bigger, but honestly I never got lost once in Oblivion. Morrowind I got lost all the time, and in Skyrim, again, I'm always checking the map. Background wise, it was very bland. You didn't have the infighting Morrowind did, you didn't have people that just outright hated you. No one hated another, the roads were very organized and central, lots of small towns and camps in the wilderness had no roads to or from them. The leveling system was just atrocious. If you wanted to be a mage, you went Breton or High Elf, then picked 7 skills that would be easy to level but that you had no intention of actually using as a mage. Then you'd level up the skills you wanted to use at level 1 to 100, and as a mage, one of those skills had better be alchemy, because you're going to develop a potion drinking habit. Once that was done, you'd level up to 20 without doing many quests since the leveled lists didn't give you good stuff until then.

Yeah Morrowind was the same way, but the major/minor skills made it not quite so bad.

Oblivion is the best TES game

It almost sounds like you played it unmodded or something.

literally nu-male opinions

Oblivion was never better than skyrim. You really have to be hypocritical to claim otherwise.

Did you make sure to buy and play all the DLCs? It's like a totally different game!

I found Morrowind unplayable. Perhaps all TES games were bad.

Yes. But Morrowind is the least bad.

They aren't good, but there's no other game like them.

Source of these panels?

Yeah, it's 2017, these games have been around long enough to where it's common knowledge that they're barely worth playing with mods, much less vanilla.

Everyone has already known this for 11 years.

Bethesda has been churning these games out for 20 years. Yes, you should be onto it by now, idiot.

Let's get the obvious one out of the way. Morrowind was never good. It's the Skyrim of its day, people praise it because of nostalgia and the fact it was likely the first RPG they played.

You faggots will unironically start saying videogames were never good in a year or two.

Not an argument.

And you gave me an argument?

The lore is shit, the story is boring and the gameplay abysmal. I want Bethesda to Jew itself to death so people will stop talking about TES and its shit writing.

NOT AN ARGUMENT!

It really was. Imperial city was completely underwhelming. With mournhold, you at least got the sense that you were in a small part of the city, but the imperial capital was just 20 citizens and 80 guards. I know it had shitbryo limits to deal with, but you should either present the imperial capital in it's rome inspired entirety, or none at all.

Thanks for the in depth critique you useless sack of shit.

It has furries and smart niggers. Keep being asshurt.

All TES are garbage. It's Final Fantasy of the west.

That's why it's fantasy, nigger.

It's shit fantasy.

I never got how the Elder Scrolls series got popular to begin with. Thought the games were complete trash and boring. Then again I prefer Mount & Blade

Babby's first day on Holla Forums

It's okay user, not understanding what people see in TES means you have good taste.

Even M&B has superior lore to TES.

Oblivions colorful fantasy style blows Skyrims dark Hollywood bullshit style out of the water 100%. The guild quests where also way better to. Too bad pretty much every other part of the game was shit.

Oblivion had spider tits. That alone makes it superior to Skyrim and its total lack of spider tits.

This, I'll jump back into Oblivion over Skyrim any day. If Oblivion were as easy to mod as Skyrim was, it'd be perfect.

Do you need a safe space from bad people saying TES was never good?

And? You nailed it OP, you fucking nailed it!

Skyrim is just Oblivion with all the bullshit removed. See how removing and simplifying game mechanics make TES-games even more good? Seriously though:

Skyrim is loved because it let's you wander aimlessly in the beautiful Skyrim. Anyone can get lost in the wilderness, and traverse over a steep hill just to be awestruck by the beauty of the view of a small valley they have just discovered. There is a small lake, and a small ruin, and a weird looking statue, and a mine, and a small village and… Just look how all the popular mods seek to make the immersion better. They only enhance that what was already there: The immersion in an adventure full of discovery, that is TES Skyrim.

Morrowind is loved because it has depth, depth in the true sense, similar to the old RPG of kind. Your gender matters, your race matters, your profession matters and most importantly, your decisions matter. You are a part of the world, and you shape the world as the world shapes you - this is why Morrowind is so loved. In Morrowind you can do almost anything, game breaking or not. It's fucking great.

TL;DR: Skyrim immersion. Morrowind RPG. Oblivion dud, but playable.

Hi Todd.

Hi Spud.

N'wah, Skyrimjob is still the worst TES, wait, forget about that, it's not even a good game at all.
At least Oblowion was so bad it was funny, Skyrimjob is just plain boring.

And Golden Saints, don't look at their faces without the character overhaul mod though.

Oblivion's guilds were 100x better than Skyrim's.
A fair few of stray quests all around were more interesting too.

NPCs also had more on their schedules compared to Skyrim's.

It may be shit, but it doesn't smell as bad as Skyrim.

Nothing interesting or exciting happens in Skyrim. Even killing the emperor was a yawnfest.

Oh no, a dragon, for the hundredth time.

I'd say they're about equal on the shit scale.

Nigger it's the biggest waste of potential there is in Skyrim.

The downgrade of the guilds were one of the biggest disappointments to me of Skyrim. Say what you will about the rest of Oblivion but the guild factions at least still felt like guilds and the quests were actually worth doing and had a storyline attached. Plus the colorful fantasy tone of the game is absolutely better than the shitty gritty atmosphere Skyrim tried

An user in a TES thread months back explained it well. The 3D TES games fall under a lane of RPG likeness. Morrowind is the most like an RPG. Skyrim is the most action focused out of all the games. Oblivion falls somewhere in the middle. It pleases no one.

10/10 this is some good bait.

You're right! Morrowind is Holla Forums approved goys! :^)

OP is right. Oblivion is the most boring and copy pasted of all TES games, save for Daggerfall and Arena, but those are roguelike.

So you guys hate Skyrim's setting for being based on ancient Germanic culture? It's those cumskin's vault for being dull then I guess, Meds are the superior race.

Oblivion isn't hated for being a mutt. It's just a dull game with entirely copy pasted world, linear upgrades compared to Morrowind, and unbalanced damage sponge enemies. Skyrim might have linear upgrades as well, but at least the world has more diverse topography and vegetation, the level scaling is more balanced, and the combat is a lot better.

Pero que cojones estas diciendo?

Oblivion isn't hated for being a mutt. It's just a dull game with entirely copy pasted world, linear upgrades compared to Morrowind, and unbalanced damage sponge enemies. Skyrim might have linear upgrades as well, but at least the world has more diverse topography and vegetation, the level scaling is more balanced, and the combat is a lot better.

I'm glad to see that the page isn't shitting up just on my side.

Oblivion was never good. It was shit on release.

The Elder Scrolls is an awful series.

I've played every TES game.
Don't get me wrong, the series has some good games, but as a series it's bad.

Let's list out the games.

Out of all of these, only two are good: Daggerfall and Morrowind.
That's 2 out of 12, or 16.6%. Even lower if you don't want to count DF. This means that at least 83.4% of the series is either mediocre or bad.

Would you consider a series that's nearly 85% shit to be a good one?

kekkles

They are not the same thing

I got so mad at that claw puzzles. The very first dungeon I went into, I saw the glyphs, and then I looked at the wall murals, and matched up the glyphs with the wall murals. Door opens, and I get ecstatic. "That was cool as shit!" I think to myself. What a neat way to solve a puzzle! Then I get to the next dungeon. The wall input doesn't quite work, but I turn them at random and only one was out of place. "Ok, obviously they were going to get harder," I thought. "But I couldn't find the proper combination. I'll have to figure out what was different." 30 minutes of starting at the walls of the past three rooms, I can't find the proper solution in any of the murals. Third dungeon, I can't get it at all. I'm just purely guessing. I finally succumb, and look it up online.

It's just a 3*3*3 chance to get it right
Even if you didn't go to the internet it's not that tough to bruteforce it.

Oblivion was easily the worst game in the entire series. Even somehow worse than casual trash like Skyrim. Terrible mechanics, terrible graphics, terrible aesthetics, terrible setting, terrible character models, terrible savegame bloat, terrible combat, terrible engine, terrible writing, terribly uninspired in every way and worst of all it took a hot steaming diarrhea dump on the lore and turned Cyrodiil into the most generic looking shit pit you could imagine. Only thing worse was how fucking dull the Shivering Isles were. Is that your idea of how the realm of the mad one should look like you cunts? Shit was so uninspired none of it barely even remotely resembled the concept art. Hell, even shit like Skyrim tried to match its concept (with shitty success).

My n'wah. Daggerfall was the best imo followed by Morrowind though.

The point wasn't that it was hard, the point was that they had the potential to do something really cool there, and instead did something absolutely retarded.

That picture years back predicted this. In a few years hating Skyrim will be a meme. Children need to go to Reddit.

If you need to mod a game to make it good, it's not a good game.

All that top tier lore, all wasted by Bethesda.

Age has nothing to do with it.
It was as trash back then as it is now.
The only reason people raved about it is for the same reason most people go nuts about Bethesda's games. It was their first open world RPG or even their first RPG.

Get OOO and Oblivion XP Update. Those 2 mods do a lot, and I mean A LOT, to fix that game. If there were good mods to fix some of the overworld, lore and questlines I think you could turn a 6/10 into a 9/10.

at that point why not just play a better game instead of wasting hours in this trash?

Suggest another game.

Gothic 1 and 2 are pretty good. Even Skyrim is better than the mind melting boredom that is Oblivion.
Hell even playing one of those shitty Spiders RPG will provide more stimulation than Oblivion.

Every location in Oblivion was too damn close to the next one. I remember a quest in Bruma where a woman claimed to have been robbed 3 days prior to talking to me, so I was hoping to be in for some bandit tracking adventure. Sadly, the bandit was lying on the side of the road right at the front of the town.
The only quest I remember that actually had sufficient distance from the starting point to the objective was the one where some orc nobleman asks you to rescue his daughter from ogres.

Played Gothic 1 and 2 to death already (and frankly people on Holla Forums need to start recommending other RPGs since it's ALWAYS fucking Gothic.)
I think Oblivion with the 2 mods I mentioned is far better than Skyrim.

Is there now a variant? I like OBXP but it needs to be tweaked. In particular, get rid of regenerating health, drastically reduce exp gain for fencing items, adjust exp curve for more between level-ups, and less stat gains. Probably more I've forgotten but the config file is nicely structured.

That's not a lot to ask honestly.

Thief 1 and 2 would disagree. Some games are worth playing with third-party fixes.

No there's a lot of quests that happen much further away. The issue is travel and exploration are utterly destroyed.

Skyrim took out spellmaking, that's reason enough for me to despise it.

From what I understand the original stop being supported and a new guy came in and is keeping it going. I never touched the original so I can't speak to most of what you are referring to.
I've been playing a pure mage and I felt like the difficulty was perfect until I started hitting level 30 or so, but by then I had so many custom spells that I had made that wrecked shit that it made sense for me to be OP.

I've probably played the latest unless it changed within the last 6 months. Does the one you play have health regen? It is highly configurable.

Also what's your magical angle? Golems if you're playing OOO I expect, those things are amazing, albeit OP due to them not having the one summon limit.

I was honestly sticking with pure destruction for the longest time. Then I picked up a conjure daedroth and went mad with power.
I had no idea about the golems.

Anything more creative? Come on man, the magic system has some room for it. Also get ebony and glass golem, I think they're in Chorrol. They're Alteration skills even though it's summoning.

I was just having fun trying to create the ultimate lightning spell to be honest.

How powerful did it end up, and how did you go about it?

Oblivion was never good.
Comedy gold.

Have you heard of the high elves?

Disgusting creatures. I hope to never see another.

Well eventually I maxed out the lightning on it and it just sorta became this triple element megabomb that cost 100% of my massive manapool to cast, but it would one shot anything it hit so pretty good I guess.

Its casting cost and damage? "Maxed out" would imply 100 damage for 120 seconds on target. Casting cost also means how did you get the magicka pool?

I've said it in every thread: Morrowind was a fucking fluke. Bethesda fucked up and accidentally made a decent game. Every game that came before Morrowind was generic fantasy trash, and every game that came after Morrowind was generic fantasy trash.

Oblivion wasn't just the worst game they've ever made. It was a return to form for Bethesda. Comfortably sliding right back into the cesspool they crawled out of with Arena and Daggerfall.

Someone post have_you_heard_of_the_high_elves.webm

You can get rid of regenerating health and adjust the leveling curve in the ini, you can reduce the stat gains in the ini too, I don't know about fencing exp but it's probably there.

This is a bait thread

I saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible creatures.

The second image is cherrypicking. Morrowind dungeon was better, allright.
But there is no difference between skyrim and oblivion. If you notice, the oblivion one is just a roundabout. All dungeons in skyrim are roundabouts like that. The skyrim "dungeon" in the pic is a shortcut to cut the mountains from the whiterun hold to falkreath. It's unique in the game (that's why i remember it). It has a necromancer and two skeletons in it, it's not even used for random quests. It's not really a dungeon.

Thief and Thief II are fine in vanilla, though.

I hope you're not underestimating the problem.

I thought the music and environment was comfy as fuck. I like Oblivion despite how objectively bad it is since it's comfy and mindless.
Had the setting not taken a steaming shit on established lore, it would have been more tolerable. But Skyrim was still far more dull and uninspired buddy: Oblivion at least felt comfy where Skyrim just felt boring.
It was easily better than anything Skyrim offered that's comparable.

Oblivions dungeons were repetitive and bland for the most part: Yet still managed to be better than Skyrims which never produced even a slight feeling of any kind.

They do not work well on modern systems. The default control layout is garbage too.

What? I just haven't played Oblivion since that time, so it's possible the mod has updated in that timeframe.

I like Ayy ruins just for the spooky background music. The other 3 dungeon types tend to be awful though.

Works on My Machine™
Rebinding controls is also not hard.
I was just referencing a Deus Ex meme. I couldn't help myself. I'm sorry.

People have been trying to unironically claim it's good lately.

Not only that but even the good games are also shit. Daggerfall was unfinished, Morrowind was broken. Both could have been great starting places for future games that built off of them and fixed their problems. Instead everything got dumbed down and all attempts to fix and balance failed.

Wrong.

Design wise yes, but I really do love Oblivions music. It's not balls-to-the-wall or anything but just the generic woodland walking around theme is comfy as hell.

Oblivion was never good, but it's always been seen as "Worse Morrowind but better Skyrim".

Correct.

Except that it is literally the worst game in the series.

Jeremy soule makes the most generic sounding fantasy music possible. It's bad music son.

That would be Redguard

Wrong.

Its painfully boring. Listen to more fantasy soundtracks.

I suppose the blandness is complimentary to the elder scrolls leaving the only remotely unique parts of its lore tucked away in low res textures and low poly models that haven't been a point of reference since the third main installment for which they were invented, but listen to more fantasy games soundtracks.

You couldn't contain it.

Not good. Playable with mods. You could easily do worse.

Total Annihilation is excellent. In Oblivion it functions fine for most environments, and fixed the major fuck-up of Morrowind's music system by having different tracks for different areas.

I wish oblivion was stable enough to mod or I'd play it over skyrimjob. unfortunately I have more fun playing my 320 mod Skyrim instead

Also pic related is a pretty good mod if you want some cyrodill

Also the dragonborn expansion was actually pretty good if only for all the dunmer lore and setting + Lovecraaft shit

Again I ain't sayin it's good, but it's comfy. Better than Skyrim's ambient music, I'm a sucker for background music and Oblivions soundtrack in that respect is fair strong because I never felt like it got repetitive, despite it repeating so often.

Skyrim is worse in most respects to Oblivion. Both are objectively and mechanically bad, but Oblivion is comfier and allows for better fucking around.

I disagree. Why do you think this? Do you think Skyrims is betteR?

They worked fine on release, not to mention compatibility issues with operating systems made a decade after a games release is so common it's not a valid criticism, then or now. Not to mention some versions like the gog release have been fixed to work on modern OSes.
Kill yourself.

Oh, that must be why I don't have any problems with them. I play the GOG versions.

Third parties address both the modern system bugs, and the default controls, and a few other things. Same for Thief 3. Also the overall point was that third-party alterations can make a game good, or at least better.

Yeah install from an old disc and you'll get frequent freezes on multi-core systems.

I think this is an interesting work of fantasy music. Unusual instrumentation combined with an easy to follow medley that evokes a sense of a grand world with creeping tribal percussion, its calming but appropriately alien and unique to the identity of the world it belongs in.

Oblivion, morrowing, sonically they are both extremely bland and i would credit this to soule's limitations as a composer.

Modern OS compatibility isn't an argument. Bethasda games are often broken out of the box, Thiefs 1 and 2 weren't.

Don't need a fucking 3rd party fix because they can be adjusted right in the fucking game. You've never played Thief you lying fuck.

Not at release you didn't, nor for awhile after. Not an argument.

And it's a moot point because if the game is a broken piece of shit on release, it's a broken piece of shit and the publisher and developers should be held accountable for that, nor should the game be praised because we the players have to do their job in quality assurance. Stop being a Bethescuck and being their free bug tester bitch you faggot.

I remember when Skyrim wasnt out and Morrofags bashed Oblivion for casualising the series and taking out elements becoming more shallow and such which i agree even though i dont like Morrowind that much BUT come the fuck on Skyrim not only did that too but went a several steps further making it even more of a casualised shallow and like you said, boring fucking turd.

What little "depth" Oblivion had, Skyrim threw it all away.

That's more action-oriented music. In terms of background music I'd prefer Oblivions, but in terms of objective composition quality the one you linked is indeed superior.

As do I, that's objectively correct.
Totally, but it could have been comfy had they managed it better. Casual games can still manage comfy sometimes, Skyrim failed even at that.

For fuck's sake I'm not apologizing for incompetence by the original designers but it is definitely true that Oblivion becomes reasonably fun with the broken level system fixed and more stuff to do, and it's also true that people fix things that the original Thief devs could not have foreseen.

In short, stop invalidating the good work done by others.

Not a real thing.

Thats nice, but the fact that you equate out of the box problems with Betheshit to eventual problems, including making ones up like the fucking controls, with Thief shows what a disingenuous retard you are.
I'll invalidate your excused bitch work all I want, cuck.

The controls are set to something more sensible in unofficial patches, or it's a profile. One of the two. A minor shortcoming but it's one nonetheless. Again, other people are making a game better. Do not belittle their work just because you think the original devs should've done better.

Read a dictionary.

There's no dictionary that explains how talking can undo someone's work, or render it somehow less. People who talk about "invalidating lived experiences" or "invalidating others" are just pretentiously saying, "Don't disagree with me."
Decisions can be invalidated. Rules can be invalidated. These refer to real, material changes in the world. The use of "invalidate" that has become common among SJWs doesn't.

Oblivion's system(with leveling fixed) in proper fully developed/realized world/lore(instead of genericness of what we got) would top Skyrim or ESO anyday

So why did a whole bunch of texts in morrowind refer to cyrodil as a tropical rainforest but it turned out to be generic european fantasy land?

Maybe they forgot, maybe they didn't care, maybe it was a calculated move to appeal to more people. Who knows?

Pointless bitch work that can be done in game.
No it isn't, and not an argument.
An unneeded control patch for a non existent problem doesn't make a game better. Sorry that hurts your ego.
Make me.
In Thiefs case, the devs did fine. The mods serve as a testament to what good game it is, not how they should do QA testing for free.

Never change Holla Forums

This bait is pretty good, have a (You).

its music played during an exploration scene. The more mellow music also works with various polyrhythms (embed for example, has 6) giving each track a unique texture, often an erratic beat if any combined with very unusual instrumental choices. To me that is most ideal for fantasy. But this is Elder Scrolls which is almost as tolkien as it can get without being tolkien.

See THAT is some comfy music: I think that's undoubtedly more comfy than Oblivions music.

Fucking pleb, use Skyrim's mod organizer with the virtual filesystem. ez pz

I loved the generic fantasy feel of it, though I wish it had actual castles rather than those bland underground forts. The music, the scenery, the monsters, and armor designs were very good, imo, and I played the game for a straight month when I got it in 08, since I was not in school or employed.

Yes, the leveling mechanics are absolute dogshit garbage. I played a stealth bosmer, so believe me when I say I know how bad it was in that regard. I could 1hko people at level 1, then never again. I hated having to shoot enemies 30 fucking times per enemy.

That said, I have fond memories of really delving into the game. The assassins quests were very good, if you've never done them. Best in the series. I also liked how hard it was to gain access to certain quests, especially if you didn't have a guide or internet. Thieves guild for one, some of those shrines for another.

But I've played skyrim for even longer, now, probably three times over.

I liked morrowind a lot too, having played it a ton in 2006 when I was in high school. Though I don't have a boner for morrowind like most people; I found it's setting to be like someone tried to put together a puzzle with pieces from different puzzles, and to this day I have never done the main quest to completion. It's just so damn boring. In fact, the whole game is boring after you're done training up your character.

daily reminder that regardless of what you think of Skyrim its soundtrack is absolute Kiиo

Agreed.

thirded

Oblivion always sucked. It was the game that made us admit that consolization wasn't going to just be a fad. If you liked it, you were the cancer that 2006's gamers were complaining about. Remember that when complaining about Skyrim's audience.

OP not a faggot for once. My Oddblivion experience:
Good thing I didn't pay any money for that pile of shit.
Oh yeah, not to mention:

my soul

nigger