Action and RPG

I don't really want to dip into genre autism, what I want is real time action game with RPG elements such as skills, stats, builds, gear etc.
So be it something like diablo, or dark souls, or dragon's dogma, I would play it.
Problem is I played most well-known and moderately known ones, including Shining and Ys series, so I need something more obscure.
But it has to be legit good, not just from the "games only I played" category.
Graphics don't really matter, but being able to appreciate different weapons and armor changing on character's model is important aspect of the gearing process, something most japanese games don't get.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=owqpDE6e4f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bonus points for having elaborate melee system with special attacks, maneuvers, parries and shit.
I really liked how Kingdoms of Amalur attempted it, too bad the rest of the game was dull and pointless.
Dragon's Dogma did it somewhat worse, but managed to have better world instead.

This thread better not disappear when I come back tomorrow.

Xanadu Next is pretty solid once you get past the wack-ass control scheme. And yeah, the items you equip actually change on the model and whatnot, though it is a bit of a grind to get the money needed for better equips. No skill tree, think more like FF9's learning skills from weapons. You can equip four skills at a time, either passive or active, leading to some solid and simple balance.

Be forewarned about that grind though. I'm not joking: You need to buy one-use keys to progress. As you buy more, they cost more, slowly increasing in price. Enemies drop monster bones sometimes and these can be sold to ratchet the price back down. There's also some cool block-pushing puzzles (you can't pull boxes, only push them. You can't climb boxes normally, you must break them down to half size first, which immobilizes them. And as a final touch for some truly FUCK YOU puzzling, boxes can be pushed up the same levels you can climb.)

The bosses are super solid, prep work is important, and careful use of your abilities is important, as SP (the mana) is a hard-to-restore resource.

I'm in exactly the same boat, OP. I loved Dragon's Dogma and the feeling of exploring the few dungeons it had, or the forest without taking out the witch charms. I never played BBI. I really need to get to that some day.
Can you elaborate on that? I've been eyeing Kingdoms of Alamur, but it looked like a single player MMO that's fuckhuge, but has fuck all in it.

I find it strange there's not more games like this. There's dork souls, but beyond that nothing really catches my eye.

Played Dark Messiah?

Not OP and I don't really recall much of Kingdom's of Amalur. Basically the game played kind of like God of War in it's combat, and I recall it having a nice fair share of weapons including chakras and some decent magic going for it. Although you are right in saying that it looks like a single player MMO since even the combat gets dull a few hours in and I distinctly remember it being one of the easier games I've finished.

Give Exanima a look

It's in early access and there hasnt been an update in a while, but the game is well worth playing as it is.

Dishonored (only the DLC campaign)
Do I keep going?

But witcher's combat sucks dick.

Eh, I often find that RPGs have an inverse relationship between story and combat. Witcher games have the FCR mods and 3 has Ghost mode which I'm using right now that make the combat semi-tolerable.

Yeah that's basically the idea I got when I saw gameplay from it. Not sure if I should give it a go.

That game's never getting finished.

sounds like a pretty good list

Din's quest. You can thank me later.

Can't believe you have made this thread without playing Dark Messiah.

Try Silver. The controls might take a bit of getting used to, but it's still a lot of fun.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a strange game where you'll very easily overlevel. It's also possible to unlock every single skill using respec and trainers, as long as you don't use the skillbook for your racial skill before you train with the lowest trainer for it.

It wasn't really that deep, you had 3 archtypes, warrior rogue and mage, each having 3 weapons. Then you could mix 2 archtypes or go with all at the same time and you'd expend skills in their skill tree.
It was never anything that fancy, you'd always devolve into the same skill rotation that most MMOs have.

Speaking of action RPGs, do you prefer having statistics determine the outcome of trading blows (dice rolling in real time) or do you prefer direct results (i.e. you hit something and it hits, no RNG involved)?

Played it.
Played it.
Played 2nd one.
Played both 1 and 2.
Played it.
I don't play early access games.
I think I played it? It was something first person right?
Played it with that mod.
Played the original.
It was mentioned in some ARPG thread and I looked at it and town management mechanics looked more like a hurdle? Maybe I should actually try it sometime.

Thanks but no thanks.

That cover looks familiar, but I'm sure I haven't played it.

Just saying that at its core Amalur combat engine is more refined, fluid and potentially enjoyable.
But since it's attached to a singleplayer MMO its worth is pretty much nullified.

Make an exception for Exanima. What they've got there is already quite good.

Being good is even bigger reason not to play it.

Stop. If a game doesn't have proper attributes then it's not even a fucking RPG to begin with. It's still pretty good though.

Deus Ex is an RPG shooter

You should try playing some of the earlier entries? Like Secret Of Evermore? action rpgs have had a very interesting history, hell, give Zelda II a try.

Keep em coming boys, I played all of it.
Maybe there is some hidden gem somewhere in there, something like Blade & Sword or Alien Shooter 2 or fucking Dark Alliance games.

I remember now, I gave it a try at some point. It doesn't look half bad, but controls are just too old.

Played that.
I mean what the fuck "most well-known and moderately known ones" even means to people?

Duh.

I feel the same way. Good action gameplay + stats and items–it seems like the perfect way to capture a big audience, but those kinds of games are relatively uncommon.
I think publishers actually know that, but they gimp both sides. Instead of good melee action, they go for simplistic shooting or two-button Arkham ripoff melee. And instead of stats and items with some minimal amount of depth, they just go with a static perk tree.
If they just dialed up the twitch and the autism by a couple degrees and abandoned empty open worlds for either hub-based or interconnected Souls-type maps they would have a winning formula that would appeal to normalfags and to a lot of Holla Forumsirgins.

If you're going to have a real-time game of any sort, and your weapon model touches the enemy's model, it should always count as a hit. (Even if it's a blocked hit or something.) RNG has its place, but only in damage output, chance of the enemy blocking, chance of being staggered or falling, etc. It should never contradict what happens on the screen.
Sorry for the double-post. But not sorry enough to sage.

I agree with everything you say user.

thx bb

Absolutely. At times like this I hate that I can't gamedev myself. There's a lot of cool things I'd love to see in a third-person action oriented RPG, but it's unlikely we'll see anything like that the way AAA and indies are these days.
Damn shame.

Up.

Played Serverance: Blade of Darkness?

>Reading Ctrl+F'ing 30 replies thread is hard
Yes I did play the damn thing.

ctrlf'd serverance and blade of darkness, nothing. My bad.

What in the actual fuck?

Vagrant Story for the PS1 is in a world of it's own with an interesting mix of combat and gearing (only weapons change, not armor).
It has a satisfying combo system where you can literally kill any enemy if you are just really fucking good and keep chaining hits until they run out of hp.

Ha-ha, I totally rused you.
fuck
Played the surge? It's a decent Soulsclone.

Played that. Fuck box puzzles and affinity system. Still an amazing fucking game. Great combat system.
Never noticed Ashly's bare ass as a kid though. What a gay design.
Actually fuck Xanadu's box puzzles too.

Yeah, it was pretty mediocre.

Anyone here played Anima: Gate of Memories?

No actually. It looks more like cuhrayzee or musou game of some sort?
How much of an RPG is inserted in there?

Don't be a nigger OP. I tried Exanima recently, along with other recommendations ITT, and it's trying to do what and describe. More or less. Particularly the lack of hit boxes and damage being decided based upon the physics of the actual attack connecting with model of the enemy. I can understand not wanting to support (((Early Access))) and the cock teasing nature of it, but even if there's not enough content for you it'll still probably sate you for a bit while anons try to give you more suggestions.

Regardless, here's the magnet if anyone's interested.

f265036915265ed0b6aaab6eb35d54545136c8a6&dn

Can't you understand that good half-finished game is worse than bad finished game?
Like how hard it is to understand the frustration of something you like not being complete?
It goes beyond fucking cocktease, it's outright blueballing.

I don't know. I know it has stats and skill trees.

I was thinking about pirating it to give it a try. I've never heard anyone mention it so I thought I'd ask here.

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Inquisitor

Nioh

Eh, not to derail the thread, but even asscreed games have levels and skill trees these days.

Isn't inquisitor full fledged CRPG with dice-rolling combat like Baldur's Gate?
Played the vampire ones. Good shit.

I don't have PS4.

Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2 (along with expansion);
Original Sin is different so probably not what you're looking for, but the first 3 are nice, I like them.

Vagrant Story's box puzzles was okay.
The problem was how far apart they were from each other. But yeah, the game could do away with more interesting puzzles and less box puzzles.

One of the few decent looking titles on the PS4. Wish it wasn't exclusive though.

evil islands
revenant
dungeon siege

Dungeon Siege 2 was pretty great.
Dungeon Siege 3 was Diablo 3 of Dungeon Siege.

I can understand it, but I'm not invested enough to really care about it. I would need the actual experience of loving a game, but being denied completion since the devs blew their load early and had to rush their game out to market for shekels and free beta testers.
I'm curious, what game was it?

You mean Dark Souls? Or Kotor 2?
The restoration project for Kotor2 at least partially, well, restores the content that devs didn't have the time to implement.

Jade Empire
Dark Cloud/Dark Cloud 2
Most MMOs. You'd prolly enjoy Warframe or some shit if you can stand the monetisation scheme.
Zelda games
Seiken Densetsu games. Legend of Mana especially has a lot of autism you can go into with builds. Unfortunately the difficulty doesn't really match up to what you can do.
Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors/Sengoku Basara games. Ideally pick one with an "empires" mode for extra autism.
Tbh practically every game has RPG elements in it now, even fucking Bayonetta.

okay

OP would prolly also enjoy shit like Land/Ladystalker and Light Crusader from the Genesis.

That's not an "action" combat though, it's straight up DND dice rolling, same as baldur's gate and kotor.
Ha ha no.
I don't like zelda games in general. They have neither compelling enough combat nor complex enough RPG elements. Bundled with obligatory puzzles and platforming sequences you have a perfect recipe for game that I will hate from start to finish.
Also fuck elves.
I played one of the I think? I think I was bored with simplistic zelda-ish combat as well, though I remember it having actual RPG elements.
Not enough RPG elements. Yes you have better weapons, and EXP and passive abilities, but in the end you just stack slay and mash attack button.
That's why I ask for something that is complex enough in both regards. I mean you can elongate your lifebar in DMC, which is more or less RPG element.

Yeah I played those as a kid. Light crusader was fucking amazing. Much better than zelda anything.

Oh fuck missed Dark Cloud one.
Tell me about it. Does it emulate well? How much of an RPG it is?

Gladly.

No it isn't. You're thinking of Kotor. Jade empire is an action game.
youtube.com/watch?v=owqpDE6e4f8

I've never tried emulating it. In both Dark Clouds, there is townbuilding and weapon management. Each character gets 1 type of weapon (2 in dark cloud 2), but those categories of weapons have lots of stats, such as elemental damage, durability, status effects, etc, and you can basically switch between party members at will. The combat is fairly slow but methodical, typically using rock paper scissors elements. In Dark Cloud 1, water/food management in dungeons and managing weapon durability is pretty huge, since you don't level yourself, you just level weapons and use synthesis to combine and evolve them.

Dark Cloud 2 removes the thirst system, but adds in a photograph/invention system, where you take pictures of items that you can combine to create "inventions," which you can use to create new items or upgrades for your robot. Weapon durability is still a factor in DC2, but your weapons no longer permanently break if they hit 0 durability.

Watch a youtube video or some shit if you wanna know what the combat is like.

Also consider trying a mechwarrior or Armored Core game. No levels, but in Armored Core you can customize each limb and weapon slot of your mech and spend plenty of time minmaxing your build.

Can you have chink voices in Jade Empire?

i don't remember

If you could deal with Risen 2, try 3. I'd rank them 1 > 3 > 2. Also Gothic 1 is great, although a bit too easy when compared to G2 NotR.
If you know German I'd strongly recommend the mod Odyssee. It's a completely new game based on G2. It takes place between G2 and G3. I'm at the end of chapter 2 with 36 hours on my save already. The game is massive with 8 chapters in total I think. Fully voice acted and a great story, some NPC's are voiced with questionable mic quality but those are mostly minor characters,

There's an English translation but it's a way older version.

It's a Bioware game, pretty sure there never were any jap voices.

If you enjoyed Gothic 2, go play the first one with the System Pack which gives it a proper 60fps patch along with widescreen support and doesn't break anything.
I'm sorry.

Does gear properly display on character model in dark cloud games?

Yes different weapons look different. The frozen tuna looks like a giant frozen tuna.

What about the armor though? I know jap games love to show weapons, but skimp out on armor.

Does Oblivion count?

He said with rpg elements.

OP has almost certainly played Oblivion.
I'd say it probably counts, but the "action" element is weak as fuck. It doesn't have the satisfaction of a good combat system like Dark Souls or Dark Messiah, which seems to be what OP is looking for.

Are you confusing Oblivion with Skyrim?
Oblivion is shit, but it's still an RPG.

how so?
stats that mean jackshit and NPC disposition don't make a rpg

There is no armor in Dark Cloud. Only a few pieces of fruit that increase your max hp that there are maybe enough of to raise your HPs to about 200.

Go play it and ignore your stats for a few levels, then watch as bandits in glass armor start kicking your shit in–especially if you neglect endurance or intelligence.

I played, by far the worst TES. Even worse than Skyrim, which at least got a bit of right with some visual and sound design. Oblivion? Pure garbage. Garbage to play, garbage to look at, garbage to listen to, garbage.

Yeah, like I said, it's shit.
That doesn't mean it's not an RPG.

But its not, what character you played as never mattered, you never had multiple ways if finishing or doing quests and there was no choice and consequence.
"RPG elements" alone don't make it a RPG. The entire game could have been a sequence of closed off and isolated quests one after the other and you wouldn't notice.

It's not a fucking action, that's for sure.

Yeah, that's probably true.
It's technically "action," but probably not what OP is looking for. Which is what I said.

I remember PSO and Secret of Mana using RNG to determine hit. For ARPGs I prefer having as much RNG cut out as possible while you have customization of your core stats that determine which gear/spells you can and cannot use or your efficiency of weilding said thing. Stats determine your play style rather than success rate.

nah, you're wrong

Doesn't have proper hack-and-slash combat. Maybe BotW does, I haven't played it. Doesn't have proper RPG stats.
Still a good series, though.

You sure? There's an evade stat in the game.

I can't think of a time where I ever whiffed an attack when playing.

Though last time I played, I did a low level run, so I spammed magic to avoid damage frames, so that would've prevented me from dodging any attacks if that is possible.

What? No. What early access game originally gave you blueballs?

It doesn't have armor, but there are different outfits you can wear.
I'm actually surprised you haven't played them yet.

*Different outfits as far as Dark Cloud 2 is concerned.

I'm giving Anima: Gate of Memories a shot.
Seems like it was heavily inspired by NieR. Except if Kaine was the main character and Tyrann was the book sidekick. It tries to go for waifus, even with up-skirt potential with the MC, but the faces are really wonky to me, and it's hard to really care when the voice work is off.
Everything feels *very* amateurish. But I still kinda like it.
As far as op is concerned though it doesn't have gear displayed on model. In fact I found it very odd that I picked up a sword, equipped it, and found that it's just a stat stick to put in a slot. You fight with your floating book companion who can pop out and fight with his edgelord claws. They should have just make 6 accessory slots instead. Looks like any form of costuming is done as a bonus for beating the game.

Also op if you haven't played NieR yet it somewhat qualifies. There's no armor, but weapon models are different.

Shiet, fucked up image 2.

Weebs people would be made fun of less if they prioritized quality–or, in fact, anything–over anime tiddies. Until that day, they deserve all the ridicule they get, and more.

I think I might have brain problems.

I'm fairly sure it was realeased before auotomata.

It was. He's talking about NieR.

Oh shit, I can't read, I'm sorry.

I mean I love Nier more than automata, now I kinda want to play it.

If you're a fan of the Anima wargame or tabletop rpg you'll find lots to like about the game. The reason it feels amateurish, well it pretty much is. A lot of the guys on the team that made it worked on tabletop stuff, not vidya, they knew how they wanted it to feel and just passed that on to people they actually hired to make it. It's a game for fans of their niche tabletop stuff.

To be fair the first table top game came out in 2005 and NieR came out in 2010. I don't know when they added sassy talking books though.

It's an unpolished GoW-like. I turned the voices off almost immediately, and was pleased to find I had to git gud somewhat quickly. Not to say it was very hard, you're given a lot of leeway for mistakes, I only came close to dying once, but you can't just mash buttons and win either.

Here's a magnet for it:

449C8BFC630A58A73C5D01A3FDED6E8A47AEBFB7

Like how American McGee broke down and had some chinese company do Madness Returns? MR still has more polish than this though. I bitch about it, but the only thing that really bothers me is the faces. It's too jarring.

Close, it was more that they made their own development studio and just snatched up any out of luck people with some degree of experience they could find.

And, also as for if they stole the idea from nier, probably. I mean the whole setting does shit like that, the big god of the setting is called Abel Christ, Satan is a thing, you've got your discount norse gods, your discount jap gods ect ect. The setting is basically whatever the creator thought was cool followed by "Now lets crank it up a notch and make it weirder!"

Sorry for wut?

I don't really care if it was just stolen. Just describing it for what it is.

This is my favorite form of content creation.

Gameplay doesn't look fun at all.
I guess it's the shitty animations.
Nier's animations were top notch, as it was a real fucking person, even if superhumanly strong one.
This is just some wooden toys weaving hands and jerking around.

Absolver. No meming or foolin.

Isn't that another shitty attempt at not-fighting games like Blade Symphony or No Honor?

The gameplay itself has merely been mediocre. Combat has no depth, but it still presents tricky situations. That and the massive lack of polish like the janky targeting system. If a couple of gigs is nothing to you then give it a pirate.

This needs a bump.

Why would you want the cancer that is RPG to infect other good genres?

Because cancer is a meme.

Why are girls in armor so hot?
I especially like it when they're not in that stupid fantasy bullshit, I like full suits.

Because the female figure is a piece of objective beauty. The wide hips, thin waist, and slender arms combined with rugged cold metal and leather is appealing.

figure I'll just ask this here, Baldurs Gate 2 Complete wasn't fucked up like the Enhanced Edition right?

bump

Just get vanilla 1 and 2 and merge mod.
Why do you even care about any re-releases?