Voice Acting thread

For anyone who's familiar enough with Japanese to be able to tell:
Is Japanese voice acting in video games actually any better at all (in general) than English voice acting?

For non-weebs who still use Japanese voice track:
Is it because you think it's superior, or do you do it solely because it's "how it's meant to be played?"

Other urls found in this thread:

seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/71-seiyuu-castings-earnings-everything-in-between/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you hire Joost, you get a Japanese and English voice actor for the price of 1!

Weebs think DBZ has better voice actors in Japanese. Take of that what you will.

not even Kajetokun liked the Japanese dub of DB/Z

I use whatever track has better voice acting. It's simple. Some games have good English dubs, but most of the time they don't.

How can you tell?

what about the others

There are no other languages worth allowing your ears to endure

Original language is generally what you should be watching things in. French animation is a notable example.

I'll sometimes use foreign dubs if the english is immediately fucking horrible. I find that it's harder to tell a shit foreign dub from a dub in a language you're familiar with. I notice it a hell of alot with american VA's, especially female ones. I don't know if it's some sort of cancerous nepotism that makes it far more prevalent in 20-30ish female VA's but when you hear that incredibly nasal american accent with no in-game justification for it, it makes the game seem incredibly cheap and I can't help but feel like the person recording it just didn't give a shit. Keep in mind this is only when it sticks out like a sore thumb, if everyone else has a similarly strong accent to keep with the theme of the game then obviously it's by design. A similar example is when you hear voice acting from what is clearly some male intern and it sounds like the biggest nerd stereotype that exists trying to voice act a part that they simply don't have the range or experience to pull of.

tl;dr if you have little exposure to a foreign language, it's harder to tell that they're doing a shitty job at voice acting and as such can improve the game experience if the alternatives are poor enough.

If you don't have actual autism you can tell if they sound bored or forced, no matter the language. Japanese animu/vidya VA is usually better because it's a much bigger industry than the American one. Side characters that aren't famous seiyuu usually sound like shit in most vidya/animu though since they're voiced by the dev team/unknown startups.

Maybe he tries the english one first, and if it's shit, he switches to Japanese.

You tell me.

Don't let Holla Forums get to you too much, they've always deserved respect for their art stuff, and their language sounds nice too.

Watch Panty & Stocking mate. Japs really can't hope to emulate brash bitches and niggers.

You can easily tell if VA is good or not regardless of the language it is being spoken in. Unless you're turbo autistic you can discern the various emotions the actors are trying to convey and whether or not they're doing a good job of it. Japan has a whole industry of VAs that get prestige and recognition for what they do and can sell a product by their mere participation in the project. In the West you're lucky to find 10 decent talents in the whole industry, having to pool the rest from Hollywood and pay them an arm and a leg for it.

English dubs are just shit, period. Any example that is not abysmal is so rare that you can safely call it a statistical anomaly.

Why would anyone want to emulate inbreed sheep and monkeys?

Because it's a fun and stupid anime and Garterbelt is hilariously rude and amazing in English. His Nip VA ain't too shabby either.

I legitimately don't have anything against the french but I hate the way their language sounds when spoken. Probably just me though.

Japs are usually better at it. Too bad they get paid the same as western VAs (i.e. shit)

It's a shit meme anime with whores and a godawful artstyle that looks like it came off a CN hipster cartoon.

nani?

did someone say french animation

But it is better

Only illiterate niggers and toonamitards think the original dub of Z is good.

The worlds strongest dub was pretty good.

Weebs think japanese shit tastes better than non-japanese dishes.

aka the most overrated voice actor whos wide range of voices is constipated and angry.

The original dub is great and only millenials are shitting on it because they grew up on Funimation dub with MUH CHRIS SABAT and the afrojewy guy who voices Goku (i have to admit he had good moments in some episodes but he is too monotone for the majority of episodes), when you realise Piccolo and Vegeta are voiced by same guy in Funimation the show loses its magic especially when you have scenes between Vegeta and Piccolo so it all turns into a huge monologue (like retarded WoW cinematics where Metzen is talking to himself)

when it comes to non edgy constipated dubs Big Green dub wins them all especially the Paragus death scene

The first few DBZ movies were handled by Pioneer who had this crazy idea of respecting the source material.

Oh I'll admit those Ocean Group dubs of movies 1-3 were very solid, with some good casting (Peter Kalemis as Goku at times comes damn close to screaming like Nozowa), fairly accurate scripts, using the original music, and even good sound mixing (you can tell they bumped up the lower end and added some reverb to the music and folley, making the movies sound like they were meant to be played in a theater).

But when Funimation switched to their in house studio starting with the Ginyu saga? It went to shit. Even Sabat has copped to his early performances sounding like ass.

Don't forget actually saying kaioken right.

Pioneer just distributed those Ocean Group movies I believe; it was still a Funimation gig as they've always had the license to Dragon Ball in the US since 1994.

It really depends on how well the context of the translation/localization fits with the game or show in question, as well as how well they're delivered by the voice actors. Most of the time however I stick to whatever is the original audio track for the original animation, though I might make a couple exceptions.

Good english dubs that keep up well with the japanese voice over in my book are: DBZ, Cromartie, MGS, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost Stories and Gundam Char in particular just to name a few.

Finnish dub of Moomins is a particular favorite of mine.

Bad ones would be… Well… this. Fucking hell. The entire character is centered around being an arousal inducing perverted dragon, right? Way to completely fuck that up. Also the actual maid dragon sounds like she's trying to be Japanese too much, and would be better off sounding… Original.

Nope.
Also no, at least because different enties of the franchise being handled by numerous different ADR outfits, with quality being all over the place.

Wrong. The original German VO of Gothic 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

If a game is originally recorded with Jap VA, I'd want to play it with Jap VA. However, I can understand if the company the VAs work for won't allow their voices to be used in NA or PAL regions. It's the same as if a game is originally recorded with Russian VAs, I'd want to play the game with Russian voices.

That's the A-listers m8. The majority of Jap VAs, the unknown peons, make less than convenience store workers.

seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/71-seiyuu-castings-earnings-everything-in-between/

its remarkably better. Japanese actors care more about voice acting in games while most western game voice actors are z-list newgrounds rejects, popular one-note voice actors who are convinced melodrama is """"""acting"""""".

This isn't to say there aren't good Western/American voice actors. Under the direction of Japanese developers, Silent Hill 2 had a fantastic cast of voice actors that are beyond iconic. That's the difference. Western teams will pick popular names that catch the attention of hot-topic nerds who cling to one note shits like yuri lowenthal or troy baker because they voiced my favorite bioshock character or some shit. They won't pick appropriate voices for characters because ultimately these teams lack any strong vision for their designs. These are all funimation fucks and actors who play themselves and their work is horrendous. The best part is they're all friends with each other so if you use the English voices better get ready to hear the same fucking handful of voices because they make sure to bring all their friends with them wherever they go.

Japs don't pick the biggest names unless there's some sort of pressure from westerners leaning on them. They pick appropriate voice actors most of the time. Even when working with foreigners they know what they're doing but the thing is - the voice actors in Japan span across several industries and it's such a retarded idea to do a poor job acting on a project because it ends up reflecting on them and all their future work, so you are usually getting their best pretty much in whatever role they're in.

is there any kind of basis for this image at all or was it just made by a disgruntled animator

The a-listers are the ones that play the main characters. Nobody cares about the background chatter.

I liked DBZ in English more than in Japanese, especially when comparing Goku. Japanese Goku made me want to rip my ears off, while the English one was cheesy, but bearable.

You're right about Gundam being all over the place, and while the dub was alright I'd still watch it in Japanese.

What about NO voice acting?

If voices are optional, is it sinful to turn them off and just read the text with your favorite headvoices instead?

I was refuting your gay statement. It's like if you said "musicians make lots of money" ignoring the millions of musicians who make no money or very little.

We're specifically talking about anime/game VAs though. The people you're talking about are irrelevant.

fuck hell

That worn out meme isn't an excuse anymore, you just have shit taste and have only seen possibly a few minutes of the original jap version.

Nope, if the option is there and you prefer it that way, go for it.

Western games have a lot of good voice acting. But the voice acting industry in Japan is much more advanced so I'd say Japan is still ahead.

It's when Westerners try to dub Japanese games and anime that things really go to shit.

This image can be misleading. The A-list seiyuu makes that money from anime roles, game roles, commercials, drama CDs and music CDs and whatever else she's got going on. Even A-list seiyuu make very little from a single anime episode… only around $400, apparently.

japanese goku voice was done by 80 year old woman, weebs like you blindly liking everything japan shits out is beyond stupid

This is not actually an argument.

english goku voice was done by a constipated middle age man, cucks like you blindly liking everything dubbed is beyond stupid

10 year old boy being voiced by 80 year old woman is a fucking argument weaboofag

oh look another weaboofag blindly defending japanese shit

It isn't an argument and I said absolutely nothing whatsoever that could in any possible, conceivable way suggest that I'm a weeaboo. Weeaboos don't even exist anymore, they've been gone for years.

You're a special sort of elitist, aren't you? There's absolutely no point in arguing over opinions, I'm stating that DBZ had a good dub and that I didn't like Goku's japanese VA. You're going to disagree and continue spouting your own autistic shit, so I'm done with you.

Luffy had a very old woman as a voice actor too, right? His voice was much more bearable than Goku's and actually sounded alright, but that may be because of recording equipment being better. So many people parade about how amazing One Piece is, but whenever I see a fan of it I always ask them if the crew has found One Piece yet. The series should've ended a long time ago.

is she an amputee?

If the game has Russian voices, I like to use them because it sounds funny.

Fucking disgusting.

weaboos still exist and their number is increasing

prob

Let me ask you this, have you ever seen an American movie dubbed in Japanese? It's fucking garbage.

They don't exist anymore and you are proving it by falsely accusing me of being one.

If you introduced yourself to a Japanese person saying 俺はNAMEっていうんだ。people would think you are either a retarded otaku that learned that from an anime or movie or an asshole. Mostly likely both.

russian voices for some games like Warcraft are great

Otaku is just an upgrade from weaboo

Otaku and weeaboo are unrelated to each other.

how are they unrelated?

How exactly do you think they are related?

Also, those subtitles are fake.

Otaku is a Japanese word for a hobbyist bordering on fanatic, Weeaboo is a 4chan word for "someone who likes anime too much"

>>>/reddit/ might be more your speed.

By that dumbass logic, Nozawa must be Lawrence Olivier in DragonBall Super then.

While the term "weeaboo" has been murdered by dumb e-celebs and Reddit, that doesn't mean weebs don't exist. They still do. Maybe not on imageboards, but everywhere else they continue to live. Don't kid yourself.
The guy you're replying to is an idiot, though.

Oh look, it's those meme subtitles again.

fags, the lot of you

I've never seen any weeaboos anywhere, and every accusation I've seen has been false. The social and political conditions necessary for people to be weeaboos don't exist anymore.

Warcraft has good voice acting across the board from what I've heard. I just think Russian sounds funny.

Who let all these spics in?

russian voice acting for Warcraft 3 is great, maybe you are native germanic speaker so it seems wierd to you

It's not about being a weeb or whatever, it's about the original version.
It's the same principle that lots of film lovers makes them want to see their movies with the original Voice Acting. Even if they can only understand a portion and need subs.

Still there are some dubs that can outclass the original in the Voice Acting, but it's not something usual.
For example if some country were to dub The Room the cting could actually improve but it would lose it's charm. So you'll end up with a drama with a ugly looking MC.

The only reason people think that the english dub is better is because that's what they grew up with so when they hear the japanese version, their cocks retract into their bodies like a turtle, and recoil at the sound of it. I grew up with the english dub as well, but then my balls dropped and I watched the japanese version and once you get used to the voices, it is MILES better. The japanese is objectively better

What makes you say that, anyways?

The english version has unnecessary dialog and music that drones on in the background constantly and kills the vibe of the scene

JAP
NA

I think a good example of this is the Yu-Gi-Oh anime dub vs sub. The sub sounds like a generic anime and clashes heavily with the colorful art style, while the dub adds a ton of personality and cheese.

In vidya Kid Icarus Uprising displayed this as well.

Are there any instances where both the sub and dub are both good?

Extreme anti-Japan and anti-anime hysteria are now common, and even anime communities have a largely negative view of them. People are accused of being "weeaboos" left and right because it's one of the worst things anyone could possibly be. Weeaboos cannot exist under these conditions.

No you don't.,

Not a real word.

The dub is only a dub. The original is superior.

You do realize it's all a big joke, right? Only retarded people legitimately want Japan to get nuked again.
A weeaboo can joke about hating Japan and anime.

It's not a joke. It's mass hysteria.

Well, then again, the more I see people saying this shit the more I think they're being serious. Maybe you're right.

Wot

Wrong question to ask. The question you ought to be asking is whether Japanese games have access to a greater talent pool than English games. Japanese games often pay out the nose for voice acting while the dubs are usually smaller in scale and budget. You get your A and B list voices in Japanese games, but you can't always afford more than C and B tier for the dubs. Sometimes you get some atrocious D level shit, like those later Megaman X games.

It's now the go-to word for """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""criticizing""""""""""""""""""""""""" anime. Everything people don't like, for any reason, is "generic." Doesn't matter what it is. The end result is that it is no longer a real word.

I'll sometimes use the Spanish dub if there are English subtitles, it reminds me of soap operas if the voice acting's good but it doesn't usually.
I stick to jp voices because the level of distance it puts me away. Even if some stupid embarrassing shit is happening in game, it doesn't make me winge as much as it would in English. If watamote ever got an English dub I would just cringe and not watch it cause I can't imagine that being good

Pathetic weebtards are really getting desperate.

I never watch any shit dub over an anime these days with all the cancer and faggotry. Neptunia is the last I'd ever watch until all this retardation dies kicking and screaming to rot and burn in Hell while I still enjoy plenty of dubbed games. It just feels like the no names actually care and want to do their job properly and get to bring a character they might like to life.

Fucking despise and distrust celebrities as a whole now. People like James Woods are actually on our side and don't keep quiet.

Ocean DBZ was tolerable enough for what it was, but even Team Four Star makes better dubs than FUNimation proper. It's sad, really.

To answer OPs question, voice acting quality fluctuates in English and Japanese - they can't all be 10/10, and budget and audience are a part of those decisions - and I'd be willing to say some dubs are subjectively better than the original.

Regardless, I always lean towards the original. Culture plays a big part on character building, consciously of not, and while some dubs are better than others there's bound to be less nonsensical cultural fuckery if you just watch/play the original version.

And before anyone goes-

Yes, I am. But I wouldn't play Silent Hill 2 or Vanquish dubbed in Japanese either because the performance and language influenced things about the game world itself.

I also watch old Italian horror movies in English and Kung Fu movies in Mandarin, which is the versions of the films that were prioritized by the directors (and usually sync and sound like shit anyway).

Watamote does have an English dub.

That is not how words work, and it's a valid criticism.

If you think it's valid usage of the word then you are just proving me right.

To be fair when someone comes up with a new idea that does well it creates a flood of copycats. Look at how Madoka created a wave of 'grim' magical girls in addition to giving more life to the whole magical girl bit. Also how we've gotten so many 'stranger in a strange land' or 'trapped inside a video game' series. The word "generic" is false and the right one ought to be 'formulaic' . But you try baking a cake while going off the recipe and see what kind of garbage is pulled out of the oven in the end.

It's not a valid criticism if it's used constantly and applied to things that aren't generic. That's like calling every shooter you don't like a brown and bloom shooter. It makes no sense at all.
Something being generic isn't a subjective thing.

Formulaic isn't the right word either, because two things are not following the same formula just because they have some things in common. Konosuba and Re:Zero are not using the same formula for example.

Same basic premise.

He is using it correctly. 9/10 times I can't pick out a voice actor in anime unless they have a really strong accent or inflection. That would make it, by definition, generic as they all seem similar to each other. And anyone who doesn't know any moonrunes either will have this further exacerbated because the language itself will all sound the same to them.

He is using it incorrectly, and it's absolutely ridiculous to consistently misuse a word and then defend it by citing the dictionary when the entire problem has been that the dictionary definition has not been applied.

I've come to slowly resent TFS, but I still enjoy DBZA plenty with all its clever humor that doesn't seem stained by any retardation. Yet.

I don't blame anyone for hating them given the word about them and how they've apparently started getting up their own ass. I know the guy who voices Goku is a fucking retard who bitches about GamerGate. If they become part of dub and "SJW" cancer more and more people are beginning to hate, good riddance.

So basically the uncanney valley.
I noticed that with Bleach because I watched a few episodes, then forgot about it, then tried to pick it up again when the english dub came out. Thought everything they where saying was really stupid, then realized, that some lines just sound really dumb when you say them out loud. Bad translation, worse acting over the original? Nah, Sometimes what ever happening on screen is just really stupid. A different language does wonders in masking that.

Why would a weeb like dubs? Given the definition of the word, wouldn't it be the other way around?

No, that's my lazy label for retards who don't know how to use weaboo and screech about anything cutesy or sexily Japanese culture.

How is Sonic in Japanese? After his current English actor came out as full retard over shitnita I'm never playing any dub that isn't Ryan Drummond or Jason Griffith unless the next guy isn't a faggot.

Kai = trash

Only good thing about Kai is some songs/themes and thats it

Ah. Makes sense.

Probably because Yugioh is a generic anime. So as others have said, not a real criticism.
By that you mean censored dialog that changes the story.

not that I can think of off the top of my head.

depends, in some cases it's done for the better and adds personality. In the instance of KIU they changed it from being a genuinely generic plot to being fun with unique characters. Another good instance of this was Barret.

Of course that sort of thing isn't done any more and any cases of that sort of localization usually involve memes that will go stale in a year or removing """offensive""" content.

But the dictionary definition has been applied.

Is team 4 star still in the cell saga?

It hasn't, but every time this comes up you generic cultists always swear up and down that you've always used the word correctly when the fact is you haven't.

You need "generic"as a lazy cop-out because you can't criticize anything correctly.

I don't know how you can't pick out voices if you know the runes. Even high level peasants can manage it a lot of the time.

In Yugioh's case it isn't.
Which is what happened in Yugioh.

Kai doesn't erase Funimations original unlistenable dub that dubcucks still think is good. Even then their Kai dub still has issues.

oh yeah, I didn't mean the 4kids changes, I was just talking about voices. I'd say just about any localization outside of Xseed that happens now of days ranges for bad to worst.

I'll admit some of the voices in the Yugioh dub add "personality" but they're still attached to a rewritten script that hacks away at what little depth the show originally had.

Shame they never got off the ground with that uncut dub from 2004.

But it has. The only thing you've said is that it's just a cop out criticism, and I'm saying they do sound the same most of the time, so they would sound generic. They adhere to similar pitches, tones and inflections that make them sound the same. That is the definition of generic.

I only know a bit of runes, nothing nearing fluency but I can pick out some sentences.

Its nice when the games allow you to play in developers native language

But it hasn't. Just fuck off already you dumbfuck. I've heard this bullshit a thousand times already. Always the same fucking excuses and lies.

Make an argument that it hasn't. I have stated why it has and you have not stated why it hasn't.

If you think a good voice and good acting is only noticeable to someone who speaks the language, it's a tell-tale sign you haven't traveled much or met people who speak other languages.

You mad, weeaboo? defending your generic japanese voice actors like an autist, hurr durr.

just how frogs are man

Well most eng dubs in japanese games i played were horrible. BUT if english I liked re;birth 1 eng voices enough to keep them. The same principle applies to polish (my native language) dubs. IMHO witcher 3 english voicework is just fuckin disaster and polish one defeats it completely, but i have played many games in english cause translated voices were just low quality in all meanings (ex. first release of UT'99 in poland). The better dub will win no matter which language it is.

Well it was polish dub for me. Gothic 2 was good game.

Oh jesus fuck yes. Voice Acting is a HIGHLY respected profession over there. There's still bad dubs and whatnot, but it's definitely a lot better overall.

I literally just watch the dub for Yugi, Kaiba, Joey and Yami Marik.

Dan Green and Eric Stuart never stop being entertaining with their hamfisted, but passionate performance and how much you can tell you enjoy their leading characters.