Defend this

Someone tell me exactly why this piece of shit isn't cancerous and an example of Nintendo's retarded racing philosophy.

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2002-03-08
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's literally communism

It's a catchup mechanic

Same with X factor in Marvel vs capcom 3

It is boring to be in first place in Mario Kart, objectively.

Mario Kart period is cancerous shit and I don't understand why anyone enjoys it. Blue shells are just the shitty icing on that shitty cake.

There's a pretty big difference between giving the losers a leg up to prevent a game from being a complete seal clubbing and actively punishing someone for being good. Imagine you're playing a game like golf or some shit and you have players of varying skill levels. What's a better way to level the playing field: giving the less skilled players a bit of a handicap, or popping the best player in the elbow with a nail gun?

I get the sneaking suspicion you niggers complain about items in Smash.

More accurately, it's a cach-up mechanic that works against other players. The series has always had heavy rubberbanding on AI drivers, but that obviously doesn't work against people. The Blue Shell, and arguably to a greater extend, Lightning, are specific catch-up mechanics that work against humans to keep it from being entirely skill based, which isn't what you want out of a casual party game in the first place.

Your friend is coming up on the finish line with one of your other friends trailing him, with you in distant third place. You pick up a blue shell, and he sees you pick it up. "Don't you fucking do it. I swear to god if you…" Bam, he's spinning out and your other friend passes him, winning the race. It's that kind of interaction they're going for, because that's the kind of shit that keeps you coming back to party games.

its not a handicap when both players have it
but in marvel the x factor is stronger the less characters are up, so if its 1 character its stronger and its their little "come back chance" catchup mechanic.

The blue shell is also a catchup mechanic, by getting rid of the most skilled player on the field.
The issue is it doesnt really help the last place player directly. yes, it helps him by slowing 1 of the many racers, but a better catch up would be if it gave him a speed boost or some super powe only last place can have

Um, most of the good power ups come from being in last place.

I don't see someone drawing a lightning in 1st place do you?

understandable. Mario Party is not a competitive game. it's a party racing game. However there is still a level of challenge one can ooze out of it and enjoy. Get 1st place on all courses, etc.

Like stated, they're going for the party interaction. The issue is that it's really bullshit when you're playing singleplayer.

It's a direct realization of the jap ethos: "The nail that sticks out must be hammered down."

I agree completely on both counts. I don't think belongs in singleplayer at all, as in that context it's almost always going to be getting used against you, and having your victory stolen by the AI is supremely unsatisfying.

It's not a matter of satisfaction or not, given that should be the reward you get if you beat it 1st place, something you should attain for yourself
The issue at hand is that it is unfair because 99% of the time you will lose 1st place because of items thrown at you, and you should not be punished for performing well. Not by AI in singleplayer. Items are fine and are part of what makes it a race and not a time attack, but Blueshell is stupid in singleplayer.

They could also use a mushroom at the last second or be using a star and they avoid it as well.

Still your odds of having those if you are doing well for the full race are low.

I would argue player satisfaction is the ultimate ingredient in whether or not we find videogames "fun". Our perception of fairness is where things really get interesting, because you can lose a hard-fought race and still come out feeling satisfied if it felt "fair", but if you have the perception that your victory was stolen from you by the game, that's going to remove any shred of satisfaction you may have had. And that's exactly what the blue shell does in singleplayer.

The chances of getting one are so slim that it's barely existent and when you do get one there's that fucker who uses lightning and fucks you over when you needed it the most… yes i'm that salty about it.

git gud :^)

the blue shell is not skill. The game gives it to anyone who isn't in 1st place so that they can automatically fuck up the 1st place racer
there is almost no possibility to dodge it–the only chance to do so is to be in possession of another weapon that can out-priority it like the bullet bill

if I make a comparison to Sanic Kart Transsexual, the hornets are usually the most powerful weapon you can use against someone, and they are 100% dodgeable
the homing rc drone is also dodgeable and you really just have to turn faster than it can or outboost it

You guys wanna know how shit the Switch game actually is? I played it and let me tell you you're better off playing just about any other Mario Kart game. In fact you're better off playing just about any other driving game in general. You could emulate a fucking game that could only run on a toaster and I can guarantee you you'll have a more enjoyable experience.

I played the latest Mario Kart when a friend of a relative who brought the Switch over for play. Basically the Switch's "method" of allowing multiple people to play by giving then the tiny ass remote portion of the console is one of the most uncomfortable fucking things I've ever had to endure. People who say the hardware is solid and comfortable is bullshitting you. I own a Wii-U I got from thrift and even that tank of a controller is more comfortable to use by a fucking landslide. I'de rather fucking use a $6 remote from amazon than ever use one of those fucking things again. It made my fingers sore in less than 10 minutes of play and I started to lose feeling in my fingertips after 30 minutes. On top of that the game was pure shit. And I say this when I've played the SNES, N64 and the DS version when they were released and 100% them all. In the Switch version you're allowed a giant amount of customization to your kart with the tires and other useless features, but it ultimately amounted to whoever used the right item at the right time because of luck. Not skill, LUCK. Skill was an afterthought to Nintendo. Not only that the drift function was dumbed down and simplified so you only had to drift for a certain amount of time instead of the incredibly addictive method of tapping left/right quickly which actually required skill and planning because you were at risk of losing control. Not so in the Switch version. All you had to do was hold a button while you turned. GREAT FEATURE RIGHT?!?!? To only make things worse, the game essentially boiled down to whoever got the right items and used them correctly during the final segments of the race. You could "maybe" use items in a way to put your opponent behind you at a disadvantage, but the actual moments you were given the item to do so was to rare because matches never lasted long enough for the RNG to play into your favor. Especially on higher cc's.

I should add that during this time the people I was playing with were in such a state of awe at the broken features of the game that they were completely dismissive of their flaws. When we played max cc the maps were literally unplayable because of how broken the speed was. It was just a giant joke to them that they somehow thought was "fun" because of how fucking broken it was. We played rainbow road and it was all you could do to gently finger bang the gas so you didn't go flying off the road. Maybe it was just the fact that the controller i was using was smaller than your average japanese cellphone but playing that shit was more of a test of patients rather than skill. To this day I can play max cc Rainbow road on any other Mario game and excel at it. Not even half the case with this abortion of a game. Anybody who defends this game as good is lying to you. I don't see how they can be doing anything else. It was so fucking unplayable that I couldn't even comprehend how it was released in the state it was. There was nothing enjoyable about it. I ended up winning most rounds because I wasn't retarded and decided that I was better off playing it slow in steady in 3rd or so place until the final lap when I would save the best item I had and just abused it in the last 10 seconds. Seriously. This game is pure cancer. I've played games with horrible rubber band AI that had a more sensible and fair method than this shit. People who defend it can fuck off. Yes I mad. Then we played BoTW which was beautiful to look at, but so fucking shallow in the gameplay department that I had to up and leave because all those faggots did was constantly spam a glacier sort of item over and over again to cross an ocean. Something that I could do on Rocket Robot back in the late 90's.

If you take anything away from my comment it's this. Don't fucking buy a switch. Not even on discount. I'm not trying to initiate a console war. I'm speaking from experience. There's plenty of other alternative methods to satisfaction you can find in any other console. Even the fucking Bloodborne machine. If the mods want to delete my comment for breaking the rules fine. I'm only telling you faggots the honest truth of my experiences I had in the 3-4 hours of time I had to experience the console and 2 of its games. Don't fucking go near this shit. Just don't.

I'd just like to point out that you wrote a massive wall of text because of Mario Kart.

I mean, I could argue for or against some of the points you made but… dude, it's just Mario Kart. The game is working as it was designed.

And it was designed poorly. What's your point?

It keeps any one player from getting too far ahead, regardless of skill. Another element to the Party Game philosophy is that the greater density of players in a region, the more fun it's going to be. If any one player can attain a level of skill which allows them to just leave the other players so far behind that they're not even in the same area anymore, then the players are no longer directly interacting, and it's no longer a party game. This technically isn't good game design, but it is a good design for a group activity, which is the intended purpose of this particular game.

That it wasn't.
It was desgined brilliantly.
But you don't know what it was designed to do.
Why is Mario Kart still famous?
Because you'll hear people saying shit like "Man, I was 2nd last night, I pass Bob and laugh at him but Jenny busts a blue shell from 12th and now Bob has this shit eating grin"

When people here tell you: "It's a party game", they mean that. As in: it's a whole diferent genre of game.
It's like complaining about an RTS not being an RPG.

Party games are not, and never were about skill. Sure, you can be "better" than everyone else. But that will only increase your chances of winning, not outright make you win.
Party games are designed to be wildly random and RNG based. Like Monopoly: you can be a pro at Monopoly, but ultimately, it's up to the dices.
This is designed like this for two reasons:
a)Anyone can pick up the game against anyone else.
I often taken the switch everywhere and find people who want to play with me. Most have never played Mario Kart before, but they still have a decent chance of coming up in 2nd or 3rd and winning the odd race against me.
Compare to arena shooters for instance. I only have 2 guys who'd play those with me because they're already good at them. Everytime I tried to get other people into arena shooters, we had a 15 minute slaughter until the guy quit. Everyone that tried knew the same thing: to be good at that game (Ut2k4 at the time) they'd have to play for a long long time. And very few people want that kind of commitement.

b)Random shit isn't fair but it's interesting. It gets people talking. Do people play football where you live? If a team scores a goal, you'll see some people discussing it the next day. But if the Referee nullyfies a goal or rules a penalty you'll find even MORE people discussing it.
When everything is fair and balanced, there's very little to talk about: it's all down to you and the control you have of the game.
This argument is even better presented with the Items in Smash. Items were highly random (but skewed to losing players) and kept the game from being predictable. they also allow a bunch of desperate ass-pulls and last second saves that leave your oponent going "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED".

Party games are not games for you to display skill, user. They're games to have a laugh with your friends at random shit. Any game is fun with friends but Party games are DESIGNED to be fun with friends.

I'll agree however that single-player is fucking bullshit, they could at least disable the blue shell in it.

Yep, another area of the game were you can see that idea being put to use is the battle mode. Last time I played battle was the N64.
When you lost all your balloons, you were out and had to watch the other 2-3 players racing around trying to pop each other's balloons.
Putting down your controller for 5 to 10 minutes wasn't fun, and on some maps designed for more players (Blockland, I think was the name) the removal of a player was felt harshly.
So now they have that "if you lose all ballons, you lose half your point and respawn with 3".
It keeps people in-game, allows for comebacks and just adds to the chaos and fun by constantly having 12 people around throwing items troughout the whole match.

They even added that "Crown" thing to the guy that's leading the score, so you can hunt him to reduced his points and maybe jump to first place. The Crown thing wasn't put in to be fair (having 11 players gang up on you isn't fair), it was put in to promote that friendly rivalry between players.

Even then the "intended" design is broken because you're perfectly capable of cheating this system by intentionally staying in 2-4rth place and then rocketing ahead in the final steps of the last lap? At least Mario party was smart enough to make exploits impossible. The "party game philosophy" shit needs to die. How is there any satisfaction gained from removing any semblance of skill or technique? How can anybody feel appreciation for "winning" when the game is designed to allow you to win by putting no effort into your actions. This is the equivalent of rolling a dice and winning because you picked a correct number out of a possible set of numbers. How is this entertaining? Even a series of events that might look satisfying are still up to a random set of algorithms as apposed to playing a game with knowledge and skill.

No it's complaining that a prior standard of games that had a semblance of fairness in them no longer has said element.
There's an amount of skill and abilities to monopoly. Like Poker. Just because the elements you're given are random, there's an element to the game that allows the same set of players to still be in the championships.
No, it's random. A set of random events occurring in sequence might be interesting. But the same can be said for just about anything. This is no reason to actually purchase a product for such an amount. I could develop a series of code that offers the same experience in less than 10 minutes that delivers a similar set of rules and experiences. The only difference is years of fluff in graphics that relies on older titles that had more going for it.

At least in Smash there was a race towards items that was equally displayed for anybody to get. The most RNG in that aspect was the spawn location. Which could be manipulated by remaining in certain portions of a map.

You're basically saying that the game is somehow redeemable because it allowed everybody to have a good time. The fundamental flaw with this design philosophy however is that nobody is actually putting any effort into having a good time. It's the equivalent of the losing soccer team getting a trophy because they "tried". There's no particular reason why the losing side deserves what they're given. In the same area there's no particular reason you should shell out over $60 for a game that basically holds your hand and allows you to win because you put no effort into your product. This isn't good "party" design because the satisfaction derives from an "experience" that came from the game and not the players interaction. This is like a walking simulator but instead of walking the game holds your hand. It's not good design. Even in party context. Even party games have their standards. Shit when I play Twister, even if it's entirely random, I can at least advance by being more limber than my opponents. "Party" design philosophy isn't even appropriate in the context it's meant to be in. Why the hell should I allow it to be appropriate in a franchise that wasn't even about the "party" design in the first place?

I should also add that the latest Mario Kart with all of the content costs over $300. If you want to defend the party game mentality fine. it's cancerous towards the industry and ultimately encourages normalfags to flood it. But the fact that you can spend over $150 in cosmetics is so fucking indefensible that it amazes me people think it's appropriate.

It's a kid's racing game who fucking cares.

People who've faithfully played the last 6 or so games in the franchise.

That's a non-sequitur

Because it's not about skill or technique, it's about having fun with a bunch of friends of various skill levels. It's the vidya equivalent of all of those shitty "social lubricant" card games like Cards Against Humanity. Accessibility is key here.
Party games are about the journey rather than the destination. When you're playing with a bunch of friends, it really doesn't matter who wins, and you probably won't remember anyway. Those good memories are built off the wacky shit that happened along the way.

You've got some very well-written posts, but I think this genre (extremely casual party games) just isn't to your tastes.

It is not, since it just target who's in first and takes zero skill to activate it.
I can understand Bullet Bill helping out players who're dead last, but the spiny shell is shit. It should've rather just been like in CTR where the Warp actively stuns everyone in front of you but you only get it by being the absolute worst racer in the game and it takes forever to reach players who by all accounts should be in first.

But that's not really the point, MK is just a party game, not a competitive racer.

Because it's not a racing game, it's a party game.

(Checked)
I didn't say that I liked it or that it was good. In fact, I said the literal opposite of that when I said that it wasn't good game design.
The goal isn't to give the player the most well-crafted game to win/overcome, it's to provide something unexpected for a group of people to experience together. It's not intrinsically entertaining. It's fun for the same reason you can play a shit game with friends and still have fun.

I think you're drastically over-valuing how much casuals care about mastery of skills in video games. They don't care about whether the game is holding their hands. They don't want to put in effort. They want something with a low, unfrustrating skill floor that they can play as a group without any preparation, so they can experience something unexpected together and laugh about it. It's really that simple. In terms of priority, actually winning the game is a far, far second to just being engaged by something while sharing each other's company. And actually being good at the game usually isn't even on their radar.
I'm not sure I follow. How are the players not interacting via the experience?

So does everyone you play with.
And on most games, skill is the factor and the most skilled player wins.
Party games aren't designed to "win".
They're designed to "play". With other people.
Winning simply isn't important. Winning becomes a pretext: you're on a kart, racing in a circuit to get to first place, but the "goal", if you'd call it that, is to have fun, not necessarily win.

I have a question: have you ever played games with no win condition? Just shit that keeps going and going and has no "Game Over" screen or "Congraturations, you am hero!" screen?
Because those games are actually quite popular. They're not about the destination, they're about the road you take there.

What's next? Getting upset that Mario Party has a randomness factor and easy games?

Mark my words, this 'tism prism will lead us to Project K or some shit.
>final destination Rainbow Road

Except a pack of cards doesn't cost $60. And even then the "experiences" from said game can't be bypassed by exploiting the system.

There's no satisfaction in the journey here. It's just mindless droning until somebody accomplishes something. Compared to games in an earlier era, and in fact compared to games earlier in the franchise this is a spit in the face to older fans and a greedy method of swindling people from their money. When you play a game there should be a set of rules that allows a losing state to be fairly accomplished. Basically it's not a journey if there's no destination.

Taste has nothing to do with it. These games, in the multiplayer context, were originally about becoming skilled and overcoming an obstacle. Even Mario Party (a fundamental party game) had the players who won at minigames because they were experienced with the controls allow themselves. Which required skill and allowed players to improve over time. Do you even understand the roots to a party game? They had a modicum of luck but overall relied on a sense of skill so there were satisfying results. You're appropriating a useless purchase for the sake of people "enjoying" a useless adventure. Without stakes where's the enjoyment? Again, this is no different to the losing team of soccer getting a trophy. It's unhealthy.

Every single thing you mentioned that had any positive outcome is just as possible with a game that allows skill to be involved.

So basically a movie? What you're describing has no value outside of a 1 time experience maybe. Which came at the cost of over $60-70 minimum. If you're not defending this terrible platform what's your point? That it deserves to exist? I certainly don't see why it should.

I have. And I didn't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money and in most cases I still had to put an amount of thought and strategy into my endeavors. There is no sense of "play" in these games. There's a sense of interactivity that has no amount of depth or requirements of thought put into it. Which completely removes the sense of a game. Games inherently should have losing states. Otherwise it's a toy. In the case of the latest Mario Kart its improper advertising for multiple reasons. People who've originally played the original game will be disappointed that the game has been dumbed down and people who wanted a racing game will disappointing because there's no actual sense of racing. Just a mishmash of RNG and chance that can be easily circumvented by exploiting the feature. In ever context you find the game appropriote it's just a shit on the people who bought it. There's no redemable factor here to anybody other than braindead idiots who could just as easily watch the Big Bang Theory and get the same sense of fulfillment.

Flatout 2 is the BEST Racing game ever. 3 is cancer, I hope 4 is worth It.

Mario Kart is a party game, ego's have to be protected when it comes to party games so losses have to feel like it was just bad luck.

Mario Kart, just like Smash, was never intended to be a competitive game.

Also, what's to stop people from enjoying a completely random board game over the newest Mario Kart? Both are games set almost entirely in luck. Both are games that put the entirely of their enjoyment in the social interactions around it. And one of them costs 99% less than the other. Are you faggots really justifying the purchase of an expensive piece of uncomfortable and breakable hardware for the sake of an "adventure" that's mostly based on the social interaction that has nothing to do with the actual game? I can MAKE a series of rules that obeys similar functions for infinitely less money with a pen and some paper. And If my end goal was for a sense of high fidelity graphics I could put in a movie and enjoy it with friends. You're basically appropriating an inflated purchase for no reason because you're admitting that the interactivity is essentially useless in the end. We're talking about virtual games here.

Correct, but the game is specifically for casuals, so it makes sense to maximize for what they like, which is non-demanding, "random" gameplay. Even if it wasn't for casuals, you'd likely see a trend in its development slowly move towards being more and more what casuals enjoy, since they're the biggest money-making demographic. Not unlike the whole of video games right now.
Not exactly. Movies are barely a group activity at all, since you're not expected to interact during them. The primary objective while watching a movie is the enjoyment of the movie, not the enjoyment of your friends.
I'd argue it'd be a bit more than that, but yes. It shouldn't surprise you that casuals play each game for a much shorter period of time than people who actually care about video games, and then move on to the next novelty.
Yeah, it's a fucking racket. But to think of it another way, you could pay $60+ for 5 people to see an hour-and-a-half movie, or you could pay $60-70 for as many people as you have to play a shitty party game for as many hours as they want.
I didn't really have a point, I was only answering the question. I explained the demand that enabled it, and the logic of the people that created it by catering to that demand.

Blue shell is not a catch-up mechanic, Mario Kart already has several fucking catch up mechanics that shitters refuse to use and then cry when they don't win

Let's review so far

Anyone can use these to their advantage to gain distance and overtake. These are already catch up mechanics in place.
Shitters do not use these, and then cry that people in first place would stay first place the entire game.

Blue shell is an additional fuck you to first place, a free handout to shitters so they feel like they can do something useful. It doesn't benefit them in the slightest, if you're in position to get a blue shell then you're most likely not going to overtake first place. It only benefits those in second and third place.
Blue shell is the worst item in the game, and Mario Kart would be much better and much fairer if it were removed.

Assuming you're not on the last lap, it actually does. Dunno about 8, but in MK7 it hits anyone in its line of fire, and also explodes so it also hits everyone close to the 1st place player.

Which is perfectly capable of being done without shelling out a ridiculous amount of money.
This isn't really an excuse for them being worth the space they occupy. If your point was ever that these games were worth existing you're entirely in the wrong. If your point was that idiots will buy them then… well yea. My point was that it's wrong.
Except that the interaction in a party game is meaningless since everybody is a winner. You see my point here? If there's no incentive to become better there's no incentive to play the game to begin with.
It's a waste of money then. What's worse is that this could very easily fool people who are long time fans of the original franchise which had much more skill and technique involved. Like I said, I've 100% most of the Mario Kart games. One of my favorites being the DS version. If I was less aware of how cancerous Nintendo had become in the recent years I could have been swindeled of my hard earned money. And if I was extremely retarded I could have thought that all the additional DLC meant something and could have been swindled of over $300 of currency alone. This is fundamentally wrong on an objective level.
No movie has ever been that expensive. Even in theater's unless you live in a rich town. But even then you're at the very least getting a unique experience with a developed and thought out purpose behind it. I would never compare the latest Mario Kart to a movie experience.
And my point was to not buy the game. Not that people didn't buy it. If you never had a point to begin with what's with your comments? I'm essentially explaining the vices to the system and you're explaining why people buy them. But ultimately people shouldn't buy them because of the reasons I already exemplified. I never asked why people purchased them. I know normalfags will buy anything under the sun for no reason at all. Fuck I mean walking simulators make money. People are idiots.

did you really buy the cosmetic crap?
For fuck sake man, WHY
MK8 so far as no such thing, has a crapload of maps and a fuckton of racers/karts.
EVEN if they put out cosmetics for it, you'd have to be fucking dumb to buy it.
The game costed me 60 buckarinoos and it won't cost more than that to simply fuck around with friends and kill 20-30 minutes wherever I go with it.

Are you sure you wouldn't be more confortable in a Forza or Grand Tourism thread?

MarioKart isnt about competitive play, its about beating your friends in such unfair ways that it makes them hate you for a few hours while you rub your victory in their faces.
And that seems to be what happened to you, OP

Just play Sanic racing.

I'm starting to see the picture.
lmao

No. I said it was a cancerous thing Nintendo is doing. Did you even read my first post? I played the game on a relatives, friends console.
All of that time could have been better spent doing just about anything else. And with less than %1 of the money. The game is a useless venture that people simply can't defend in any context. I can just as easily "kill" time in more meaningful ways with friends. And the earlier Mario Kart games would be infinitely more meaningful.

I agree with OP, are you going to call me a salty WiiU owner too? Even though you can't play 200cc on the WiiU version?

Obviously you didn't exploit the games metagame where you intentional stay in 3rd place and use your reserved item to boost yourself to first place in the last half of the final lap like any "realistic" racing game out there. Git gud at abusing a completely unfair and random element in a broken game you turbo nerd.

never change, Holla Forums

Fuck off, that's not only boring as fuck but it's also retarded because if you're racing against unskilled players then you've fucked yourself over by not getting the massive gap ahead you could have gotten.

Any good racing game is about skillfully fighting for first place. This is about gimping yourself because otherwise rng fucks you over.

Poe's law is in full effect here.

Why do you defend such shitty game design?

Jesus fuck user google poe's law.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2002-03-08
This is an article written by a man who is the head of the design team for the most successful trading card game of all time, a game he's been working on constantly improving for the past 20 years of his life

You might not play Magic the Gathering, but the player archetypes presented in the article are pretty universal concepts, and apply to any game.

MtG is very good at appealing to all of the player archetypes, but the same can't be said about most video games, as the scope of the project is generally narrower by design

you're looking at the design of Mario Kart from the perspective of the player archetype "Spike", and from that perspective, its understandable why you wouldn't appreciate the design choices made, but you have to recognize that Mario Kart isn't made for Spike, it's made for the player archetype "Timmy", and is designed near perfectly for Timmy to enjoy it

TL;DR some people have fun in ways you don't have fun, designing games for those people isn't necessarily bad design

The latest Mario Kart game is a game that has no reason to exist. The enjoyment people derive from it is easy to grasp from much less expensive and much more wholesome influences and forms of media. They simply aren't comparable.

-user, 2017

-user, 2017

Same goes for posting here :^)
Why are you posting here?
Why aren't you doing more meaningfull things?
Why aren't you with your meaningfull friends doing meaningfull things?

Holy shit, this is a new record for shit I read on Holla Forums.
We've gone past "this game is shit" and finnaly reached "this game SHOULD NOT EXIST".

Are you promoting vydia holocaust, user?
Are you going to exterminate 6 millions vydias to create the uber-vydia?
You evul NATZEE.

Newfag please leave.
To become a wizard
I'm playing vidya as we speak.
Because I'm not a redditer.

Are you promoting the normalfag takeover of this site user? Are you going to exterminate us with your redditor army? do it faggot

Well, congratulations. You're well on your way to become a wizard.
You took the "stop liking what I don't like" mentality further than everybody. Now, it's "things I don't like should not exist".
Use your wizard powers to erase everything you don't like from this timeline, user. I'm sure everyone will agree with your OPINIONS.

give me till 2020. I'll save the vidya industry by casting a spell to rewrite history before everything went to shit in 07. Just you wait. No really the new Mario Kart is fucking shit and you know it I'm off to bed, night faggot

You fucking dipshit.
People like OP that physically REEEE at shit ARE the normalfags.
Back in 2014, 8/v/ had a simple way of doing things: pick a game you like. Go to it's thread/make a thread for it.
That was it. It was confy, we started a lot of comunity projects and every had a good time.

The fucking redditors and normalfags are the idiots that can only feel that something is good if something else is worse.
You HAVE to hate game A to like game B. Game B is SOOOOOO mcuh better than A.
That's the entire pool of arguments you see on halfchan and reddit: "This shit is so much worse than that shit" "things one is so much better than that".
For a while, we didn't have that crap here. We didn't talk about shit games. We didn't have 39485 threads about Fallout 4 telling us for millionth time that it is shit.
We had threads about games we liked.

Imagine the catalog filled with threads like these.
Now picture 300 threads of this shit.
Congratulations: it's halfchan all over again.

~Eat a bag of dicks, fuck face. I don't care what games you hate and why you hate them.
Noone does.

i'd listen to you but i stopped trusting Holla Forums for advice after i realized they can't offer any advice that's useful for people who aren't autistic neets

NEWFAG GO HOME

Your bants and arguments are weak. And are lacking in any fundamental facts. The games discussed in that era were usually GOOD unlike this one. The current Mario Kart game is objectively shit. And you're only proving my point with your autistic shitposting that lacks any facts. Suck my dick newfag.

Guess you should get your advice from reddit then.

Holla Forums go home. Noone likes you.

The "golden days" of this site would not give two shits about this game.
They'd go to their Xonotic thread, RTS general or space thread and talk about the games they like.
Every so often a new game would come out that was good and a thread would be made.
Shit games, games someone doesn't like or non-games simply wouldn't have threads.

The games discussed in that era are no longer discussed. Why? Because their threads get bumped off the catalog in favour of "Mass Effect is shit #234554 thread" and "I want this industry to die #98547 thread".

The site is a product of the people that post on it. The site is only shit because the people that post on it only post shit.
And people post shit because they'd rather play games they don't like and bitch about them rather than playing games they actually like.

The "neet" argument struck a nerve, eh?

Because it's so shit. Grats on proving my point.
Begs the question as to why you're even posting here if you're so desperate for the old days to come back.
They are actually. We still get E.Y.E threads among others. But otherwise you're bitching that games that are less relevant are no longer as relevant. Keep bitching retard.
We had those as well. What are you some kind of revisionist?
Speaking of which, you're doing a good job at meta posting and a bad job at actually discussing the game. You're your own worst enemy. Fucking kek.
No, that's just you. And a handful of mentally disturbed anons who don't play vidya. I'm playing a game I like right now. I even made a thread about it. Good luck finding out which one it is
It would have if you even had an argument. You're doing a better job at being the cancer to this site than the actual cancer you claim fucks up the site. Keep shitposting fam. I'm done replying to your weak as attempts to derail this thread. I'll have a kek at your future posts though, so keep responding.

"I'm right, fuck you!"
Because I saw a thread about a game I liked and wanted to give me two cents while also giving the example: talk about games you like.
They are less relevant because other good games came later. Not because of shit games.
I didn't say we DIDN'T have those threads. Reading comprehension.
I said having threads to shit on bad games pops threads about good games off the catalog. Look at halfchan for fuck sake. I saw their catalog two months ago to make the same point in another thread: 75% of their catalog is "this is shit" with 20% being "This is not as shit as that other thing".
Is that the kind of board you want?
Endlessly bitching about shit you don't like?
Same goes for you. You haven't explained how blue shells are bad for a party game and keep railling on the competitive part. Then resorted to "Nintendo is shit". I'm surprised you haven't pulled the "mods are nintendo babies!" card yet.
Then it's a moot point and irrelevant. Why bring it up?
Nah, Holla Forums you're the cancer.
Faggot, you were done replying in when you said you were going to bed. This is how I know you're Holla Forums, you can't be wrong, you won't accept it and you HAVE to say the last word.
You're gonna reply to this post because you have no willpower. Come on, feed me that (you), you fucking whore.

Because it's a children's game.

Not only is it not cancerous it's absolutely mandatory for a game like that, just looks at SASRT, the moment someone gets out in front the race is over, the only person with any chance of hitting them is the one in second who's having to avoid an onslaught of attacks from everyone else in the middle of the pack, with them constantly picking each other off the lead first place has only gets wider and wider.

Poopy

I get blue shelled and go on to win all the time. I've gotten 3 blues and still won. It's an inconvenience for me, not an automatic loss. Git fucking good you losers. Also learn racing lines and how to maintain speed and abuse the boost mechanic. I could still win all the time if everyone was driving the same character/car and there were no items, because I'm good at racing.

coins increase your max speed in some Mario Karts. Like SNES or the latest iteration.

I agree. What I'm stating is is that satisfaction should be the result of a good recipe, not the ingredient.

in golf there is a handicap system where you essentially get bonus points on your scorecard - if you have a handicap of 12, once your final score is tallied 12 will be taken off of it to bring you closer to the professionals

t. golfag

Whoever gets the lead position by the first item box has an advantage of having less players targeting him. Players not in the lead position are caught in the middle of an item shitfest and get hit many more times than the player that got an early lead.
The blue shell is to balance that difference.

If you got an early lead in Mario kart, you are in a safe position and should be gaining distance away from 2nd and below. By the time the blue shell drops you should have plenty of distance.
If other players kept up with you well enough to overtake you, despite having to deal with more hazards than you, you were driving too slow and deserve to lose that position.

Completely agree. They basically force you to buy a Pro Controller (I've yet to see anyone use the Joy-Con wheel accessory so I have no idea how well that works).

It's been a feature since 7, but I'm largely ambivalent to it.

It's been that simple since Wii. Casuals will be casuals.

So, it's a Mario Kart game.

200cc exists as a joke. It was introduced as free DLC to the original 8 and came with the warning that it hadn't been playtested and is totally broken.

Overall, it's probably one of the better Mario Karts, since the gameplay is smooth and the battle mode is fun. My only issue is how shit the cast is and how they fucked the customer by putting battle mode as a Switch exclusive. Breath of the Wild is boring shit, though. I bet you play Smash Bros. Melee final destination with no items.

I've got one.
Yeah, the joy-cons can turn the kart when you turn it, but it's got a small delay. You end up turning off that feature (increases battery life time) or using it if you wanna give the other players an handicap. It's fun to turn your arms around, but not very usefull.

The good bit is the back buttons. Pretty big and they work well.
Overall, it's very confortable for your hands.
I got a procontroller simply because it seemed to make sense, but when I take it somewhere and play in public, detaching the joycons and holding one in each hand is still handy.

Nigga, I've had people asking me to play the damn thing.

What? Are you telling me that spending 60 dollars on something that has repeatability, that my friends and I can pop in and have stupid fun for an hour or so is as good as a movie where we just sit around? Mario kart is not a bad game, it does exactly what it set out to do. Session long rivalries over blue shells crop up and are joked about later, lightning over pits sparks an instant reaction from the room. It's spontaneous entertainment made from the people playing it

I imagine so with how damned hard it is to find one of the things in the states, I only got mine from a scalper who'd marked it up to $400

First you tell me exactly why this piece of shit isn't cancerous and an example of the demise of original thinking and programming turning into building automated pieces that must conform to the rigid norms of corporate bullshit

This picture almost made me spit water everywhere.

This. I actually got "Stacy looks" for saying I didn't want the thing. Nerd culture is dominate these days, if you aren't part of it, you're a grumpy weirdo. So much for trying to fit in.

Maybe you could get away with that in 64 where blue shell hit everyone but not now.
It's last place pot shooting first place making 2nd place take the lead.

You and your retarded ass mindset is why games get castrated, "hurr durr it was like this before or it already happened so who cares lol"

You can dodge it in Double Dash

It's a party game. The only retards bothered by this shit were the ones taking it way too seriously and trying really hard to 'win,' ruining the experience and reminding everyone to not invite them next time.

It is designed to spite first place, especially when they pull so far ahead of everyone else that it only fucks them up.
It's the same thing that makes Chance Time and the last 5 turns in Mario Party interesting.

That had better be after you stabbed him to death.

Would've but it was about the only damned way to get the thing on its launch, wanted to sit on it until CFW of some sort came out since I got the sneaking feeling it would just be short on supply until the end of eternity but no progress has been made on that front yet (that I'm aware of) and since then I've kept mildly busy with it with Zelda and Mario Kart. Was lucky enough that I got one with no defects, but truth be told it's been gathering dust for some time until Sonic Mania came out.

Solely because it anally ravages sperg faggots like you who take lighthearted games way too seriously.

Why is it always Nintendofags who whine when something isn't perfectly balanced? It's a fucking party game. Go play Gran Turismo if you want an autistic competitive scene.

Experience suggests it's shitposters, "SONYGGERS LEAVE REE" console war types and competitive-scene drones that complain about party games not being balanced, Nintendo drones are too busy talking about Nintendo games

it's an autism prevention device intended to stop you from becoming overly invested in a degenerate game instead of going out and starting a family like a real human.

it's more akin to the losing player getting a button that instantly knocks down the opponent irregardless of hit/blockstun & grants a free mixup.

I made a long thought out post explaining why it was shit. You know ID's exist right?
And I wanted to come in explaining why the most recent game was shit. Your point?
In this context the newer game is worse than the older ones. Again, your point?
Then you have nothing to bitch about
As apposed to endlessly shilling games that are shit and calling them good? I'll take what we have now over that.
No actually I went full in depth on why the current game didn't work with Blue shells. Funny how you shit on me for not having reading comprehension.
Because you said we didn't play games? It's not moot at all kek.
smh
And I did. Morning.
fucking lol
God forbid I debate the game right? In any case you're going to reply to me for the same reason. Keep posting newfag.

In the older games you were able to negate this. Blue shells were avoidable and you could still stay in first if you were good enough at the map and using items at the right time. In the later games you're never more than a few seconds ahead in first place.
Not in the older games. Shit was fun as fuck.
How? It's fucking terrible compared to the older Mario Karts.

It really doesn't. You're better off watching a movie because at least you're guaranteed a unique experience that wasn't based on a random series of numbers. The newer Mario Kart plays itself more or less. And there's no point to being mad at your friends or smug to yourself for an event occurring that's completely based in luck rather than skill. The key thing a game should have is a degree of interactivity where your choices and technique matters. If that's not the case you're essentially rolling a series of dice and laughing at your other friend for getting a 1.

Going to be a pedant here and mention that in 3-4 player matches in MK64, when a player is knocked out they become a moving bomb. You then get one chance to ackbar yourself into a player that's still in the game. They only give you one shot though so if you succeed in fucking someone over (or if someone ran you over with a star), you still have to wait for the battle to end, like you said.

I knew people that played double dash that could dodge it 50% of the time. They would also slow down to and switch places with the guy in second right before the shell would hit.

Mario kart is a cruel mistress

In the switch version the Blue Shell locks onto whoever is in first a the time. So if you get fucked in the process of the blue shell homing towards you and fall in 2n'd/3rd, you get fucked even harder because it will still hit you when you're not in first. This happened a lot and it was never satisfying because the people who would pass me would usually be in last and get a bullet bill to get straight to first

If you can't dodge blue you don't deserve to be in first.
Now if you wanted a real thread you would have posted the Bullet BIll or Lightning items.

theres a parry window. as soon as it connects, input a jump and it will cancel it.

If a blue shell turns your theoretical win into a loss, you didn't deserve the win in the first place.
Every game has a meta and if you can't figure it the fuck out and use it to win, you're shit. If you're good at other racing games but items fuck you up, you're just shit at Mario Kart. Accept it and improve your skills in ways that Mario Kart demands of you, or don't play Mario Kart. Plus, good racers should be so far ahead that the amount of time the blue shell sets you back should be trivial.

There are worse problems in mario kart, like the red shell. In Mario Kart 8 Deluxe they upped the drop rate for red shells, people constantly get one. That blue shell is a okay item because in first place you can peacefully drive while everyone else get's fucked over by people around them.

The problem is that metagame in Mario Kart is pretty much non-existent. In the Switch version you're better off staying in 2nd until the final steps of the lap. And even then you have to pray that nobody gets a good diceroll and rolls a blue shell or a certain items at that last segment. Otherwise you still can't really take much advantage of the meta because of just how random the elements in it are. The latest Mario Kart game is fundamentally broken and bad to the point where just about every strategy is useless save a few which are slightly less useless.

And if you aren't far ahead, you can just let the second player get ahead, and take him back after, or get close enough to him that the splash stops him too.

P A R T Y G A M E S

I play the Wii U version and I can pretty much get out in front right away by being a good driver, and stay there by constantly trailing an item for defense and extending the gap between me and 2nd with more good driving. I'm boosting almost constantly from chaining drifts and tricks. How badly did they fuck up the item spawn balance for the Switch version to make this impossible? or is everyone but me just shit?

Nintendo's audience

It's what the other user said. Red Shells are way more frequent and because of the lightning ability occurring more often, there's never a giant gap between people so you're always under constant pressure of getting shit on by somebody behind you. The worst part is the maneuvering around items is essentially impossible most of the time. And you're going to have a hell of a time defending yourself in the front when you have no items. Basically, the game is still slightly playable in singleplayer and completely unplayable in multiplayer. Outside of that all you're going to be doing is getting fucked over by shit that's outside of your control. I actually won a lot of games by staying in 6th than I did in second. But it's pretty much luck at the end of the day. Imagine the trade minigame in Mario Party except that's every other space.

DS is fun to
I'm only pointing out why the game is bad anyway.

Well they think Smash is a fighting game.

it's just a game for kids wtf

Bullet Bill is like affirmative action, gets a nigger slightly ahead at the expense of those nearby but ultimately you just weren't meant to be in 3rd, Tyrone.

It's not a serious game? It's not a competitive game? It's a game meant to be played by children?

Not an argument.

this

So were the older Mario Kart games. Which were better.

Exactly the same reason anyone trying to take smash seriously should be laughed out. It's a party game meant for chance to rule and skill to be an afterthought.

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is a kid's kart racer, yet it did its blue shell equivalent much better.

Well you can change the settings in the original smash bros and melee to remove luck entirely, making it a skill based game. Now I am not a super smash bros player, especially the newer ones suck, but smash bros is better than some popular fighting games. It's definitely better than Mortal Kombat 9 and X or whatever the latest one is called.

Holy shit, I hate Shitendon't now and I still know this thread is full of retards.

I played Mario Kart 7 way too much online, and when I started playing the new games casually with friends I always came 1st no matter how many blue shells or superstars they got. Nobody had any fun and we barely saw each other on the track.
Treasure the days of coming 5th and 6th, anons. Treasure the blue shells.

I once knew a guy like that. He absolutely destroyed me in double dash. It was insane how good he was compared to the rest of us.

Anyway, I wish they would add this classic drifting again. Unlimited drifting and only fair items like bananas, green shells and those fake item boxes. Nintendo has changed a lot actually, mario kart 64 had many evil tracks, that wario one for example. If you failed that one jump it would throw you back.

But of course activision's trash marketing combined with one of the worst release windows I've ever seen absolutely meant it stood no chance. RIP Bizarre Creations.

Nigger, did you actually play it? That game was full of cheaters. Friend of mine had a copy of it for his xbox 360. It was fine there so I decided to get one for my computer and that shit was full of cheaters. People would just turn on their trainer and go through the map at full speed. with unlimited items.

Hell yes I did.
I actually played it on 360 like your friend and never noticed any cheaters. Sucks for PC players.

I mostly played it on his 360 too. We spend a lot of time playing that game together before I decided to buy the pc version, I played that version over the weekend and then decided to uninstall it because it was unplayable thanks to cheaters.

Get fucked, that broken-ass mechanic was the absolute worst.

I didn't play a lot of double dash, but isn't it the same as mk64? Because I remember drifting almost permanently in mk64 too. Also I posted that webm because it's like one of the only mk webm's I have, not because it's the pinnacle of mario kart or something.

I know everyone memes about how the Blue Shell is the gayest thing since /cuteboys/ but I personally always hated the lightning bolt even more.

>slows you and prevents ramp boosts sometimes. It's very inconsistent about this. Sometimes I can ramp boost, sometimes no

Blue shell ruins the fun of the guy in first and the second placer unlucky enough to have been driving too close to him and the third placer who saw the warning too late. Lightning ruins the fun for everyone. Also, for as much as everyone claims 1st is the worst position to be in in Mayro Kratt, I personally feel that 6th - 11h is the worst. At least in first to third, all you worry about is blue shells and the other 2 dudes behind you catching you up. 6th to 11th is a fucking meat grinder. Triple red shells everywhere. Stars everywhere. Boomerangs for fucking days. I refer to those positions as "the bucket" because you will never get out. You will get dragged back in the moment you even see 5th place.

tl;dr

Mario Kart is a party game for children. It's what children beg you to play with them and bullshit items keep it from being a complete seal clubbing.
Play an actual racing game if it bothers you so much.

I like it because it does not only affect the first player but all except for the one guy who used. No idea why you dislike that aprt of it. My favorite version is the mk64 version since in that version you also had to watch other drives because you drove into someone you would both be flat for a while. And the player who had it could also use it at crucial moments like before that one jump on wario stadium/arena or whatever that track was called.

It's shit because it puts the people ahead behind. When you grow back it does it in order from last to first.

Wait wut? since when? I am pretty sure that you would all turn back to normal at the same time, at least in mk64. When did they change this?

Dunno, but it's certainly the case in the Switch version. I think it was the DS but I'm probably wrong.

I am not up to date on mk, I only played 64, a little bit of the first one, some double dash and a bit of mk8. I skipped the portale version and the wii version. But from what I heard the new version is really horrible. Didn't play it but I read in one of the previous threads that the red shell rate was upped, so people in second and third place constantly get it while the first place has a very high chance of getting a coin. It was different in mk8, the previous version.

One of the major issues of the Spiny Shell is that there is basically two versions.

The original wingless version that first debuted in 64, the person who got had to fire it in the middle of the track (if fired at a wall it would die like a red shell) and then it would travel along the ground, hitting anyone in the center of the track up to first place. This returned after a long absence in MK7.

The winged version that OP posted first appeared in MKDD, when released it would fly to first place, then quickly circle over them before hitting them in a big explosion. You had a very short window to try and slow down to deliberate catch any nearby racers in the blast, if they were around. This version would appear over the next 8 years in MK DS and Wii, the latter where it would be memed (and Wii's item spam) into a weapon of great annoyance.
With sheer skill and luck it possible to dodge this at the last second via a mini turbo or a certain items depending on the game but very difficult and most people won't even bother to try or even know about that info.
MKDS escaped that fate of Wii version because you could see what items your opponents had on the touch screen and slow down to 2nd place if an opponent got one.

Basically the wingless version is fairer in comparison because it can disrupt every racer on the way to first place (affecting the majority) instead of just flying past them to first place and disrupting only them or uncommonly 2nd/3rd (affecting the minority).

The storms are way fucking worse and also the bullet bill, good luck dodging that shit.

You finally come to your senses that the switch is just a downgraded wii u?

Couldn't they keep 1 item-fuck you balance?

Both are pretty shit when you consider the library and hardware. But I thought the Switch looked like shit the second I saw it announced.

I never defended those mechanics. The point I was arguing was that 8 Deluxe wasn't the worst or even a bad Mario Kart. How could it be the worst if other Mario Kart games invented all the problems he's complaining about?

And they still are. Hell, it's even easier now since they added a whole new item specifically for countering homing items.
200cc didn't exist in the older games. This game still has 150cc, which was the fastest up until 8, and it's just as balanced as anything

None of which are available in first place item pool
That doesn't change the fact that the maps are fucking broken with them. As somebody who would always 100% the older MK games this doesn't make it any less retarded.

yeah, I tried that 200cc mode too and it's fucking ridiculous. It always goes like this, I am far away from first place. I drift, gaining a "little boost". That "little boost" catapults me into first place and then out of the fucking track into the water.

Like pottery

The whole game's a joke. The 500cc is just shit.
And I played multiplayer all the time on the older games. The key issue here is that the game is worse in every way than the earlier ones.

Shit compared to Double Dash