Video game features/concepts that only tried once/a few times and never tried again

We know that there are there are games that improved on their previous formula that either succeeded or failed. But there are features or concepts in video games that we played that only appeared either once or a few times then it got shelved and never got tried again. So, what's yours? Here's mine, at least in my opinion.

Literally why?
Never tried again because the Affinity system was fucking retarded and probably the clunkiest weapon/armor system out of any gen5 game.
Rolling over your stats (as well as dumping BP) from one weapon to the next is neat, but then you either have a situation of where enemies have bloated HP bars to the point that you're forced to grind to effectively kill them, or performing even a little bit of min-maxing trivializes the game. Parasite Eve went with the latter, which is the correct option when faced with those two shitty choices, but it's still a bad system.

The destruction system in Red Faction Guerilla really deserved to be in more than two games. A shame they didn't turn into middleware for other developers.

Then suggest a better emulator to play PS1 games without having problems of Code Errors.

From all of those I can name Vagrant Story, and Fallout 3-NV-4 VATS system is amalgamation of that and classic fallout combat system, so you can't really say it wasn't ever tried again.
Unless you mean weapons growing stronger against one enemy type, while weakening to all others. Can't say if that was tried elsewhere, but it was shit fucking system and thank god I never encountered it anywhere else.

Please take emulators debate to the appropriate thread.
Thank you.

POPs :^)

Beetle PSX with the software renderer is straight plug and play, and more accurate than Sony's hardware PS1 emulation on the PS2. If you want heavy visual enhancements with a moderate sacrifice in the compatibility department, PCSX-R PGXP. ePSXe is truly one of the worst options for PS1 emulation today.

Don't tell me where to take my on-topic discussion with retro games you brainless fucking twat.

Was there ever another game with combat system similar to Comix Zone/Oni?

Filtered.

Probably a goon.

My personal favorite has to be how Fallout 1/2 handle a "stupid" (low INT) PC, even including unique dialog when communicating with other low INT characters. I can't think of any other RPG that takes it to this level, and I get why (re-writing most of your dialog for something only a fraction of players are ever going to read probably isn't the best use of dev time), but I'm still disappointed that nobody else does this.

I guess you never played Ogre Battle 64

I'm not recognizing that piece of shit, half-assed "sequel" to the Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen!

NEVER! OVER MY DEAD FUCKING BODY!

IIRC NWN does this too. I don't know if it's as significant as FO's though, I never played NWN's vanilla campaign for long

The buildings in Dune 2K explode into debris which flies out in all directions and can damage or kill units attacking the building. Heavily armored or long range vehicles were largely resistant or immune to it, but infantry got fucked.
I have never seen this happen in any game outside of this one.

The defensively-oriented combat system in this game's pretty neat, and there's some other elements that set it apart from other similar games too: single character game with a spirit possessing individual host bodies as opposed to having a party of characters, the setting is a small fishing village and its local surroundings instead of an entire world, and the main goal is a low-key one (protagonist wants his own body back rather than being a disembodied soul). I don't think anything directly like it has shown up that much elsewhere on account of the game flopping with critics and failing the sell both natively in Japan or out here, which is a shame because it's been pretty enjoyable to me as I've been playing through it.

Spy RPG, real-time stance-based decision making, and for better or worse its leveling system, method of handling weapon/character stats, and differences between weapon types are totally unique
>Freedom Force (and vs. the Third Reich)
Unique real-time with pause gameplay style
There is literally nothing like it. The only game I can compare it to is Spore, but they're very different.

The "car hopping" mechanic from Wheelman made sure that the game was in constant flow.

Total Annihilation had debris that could do a little damage. They could also sometimes start forest fires.

What do you people think of Treasure of Rudra's Mantra System?!

In a very simplistic manner, the only other Westwood game that I've seen do this is blowing up a Soviet nuclear power plant which does the same thing as dropping a nuke. Otherwise, at least falling aircraft do damage to whatever they land on appropriately.

I don't know as I've never played it. But you do have nice trips going on.

Red Alert 2, fuck. I thought I posted the title.